• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Don't mind me - just wanted to leave a laughing Geno gif I put together here:

Speaking of RPG games, anyone ever play Solatorobo? I'm not much of an RPG gamer but that is one of a handful of exceptions that I found to be really fun for the original DS.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Xenoblade X is... weird. I really love the original Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2, but X, I just couldn't get into, no matter how hard I tried. It's definitely the black sheep of the Xenoblade games, and if you didn't enjoy it, you shouldn't necessarily take it as an indication that the series as a whole isn't for you.
I agree Xenoblade X wasn’t exactly my style, but it was decent nonetheless, I have yet to delve into Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I plan to pretty soon.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

Speaking of RPG games, anyone ever play Solatorobo? I'm not much of an RPG gamer but that is one of a handful of exceptions that I found to be really fun for the original DS.
Kefka laugh intensifies

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

I love Solatorobo! That was one of those games I got really attached to. It had such a great world and characters. A little on the easy side, but fun nonetheless. I keep waiting for them to make another game in the series, but sadly it seems to have stalled...

Lots of memories with that one, though. Left a huge impression on me.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, here's a good question relating to Geno, what do you think he would be like if he appeared in the various spin off games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, and the Mario Sports game's? What would his various stats be, how would he be portrayed compared to the other characters, etc.

Last edited:

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Did you guys know about this:
https://smashboards.com/attachments/screenshot_20180929-193100_reddit-jpg.167276/

Apparently all DLC are going to be third party characters, what is really awesome for Geno. While a lot of Nintendo's charaters are more popular than Geno, just a few third party characters are, what means that even if Geno is not on the base roster he still would be able to get in through DLCs.

It's amazing, everything that could happen to get Geno into the game is really happening, like a wish coming true. This is so incredible, during my childhood SMRPG taught me to wish things and fight for them. This teaching became part of who I am and what defines me. And now that we've learned from this game, we're being able to apply that, wish and fight to bring this game back to life.

I'm sorry if I'm being too sentimental or dramatic, but after more than 20 years waiting for a new SMRPG and more than 10 to have Geno in Smash, the way things are going looks like the end of a book, when everything comes together in an outstanding and beautiful outcome.

I'm really optimistic here!

D

Deleted member

Sounds like good news hope it all pans out and Geno is in guess we'll see soon enough.

Can't wait to find out.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
https://smashboards.com/attachments/screenshot_20180929-193100_reddit-jpg.167276/

Apparently all DLC are going to be third party characters, what is really awesome for Geno. While a lot of Nintendo's charaters are more popular than Geno, just a few third party characters are, what means that even if Geno is not on the base roster he still would be able to get in through DLCs.

It's amazing, everything that could happen to get Geno into the game is really happening, like a wish coming true. This is so incredible, during my childhood SMRPG taught me to wish things and fight for them. This teaching became part of who I am and what defines me. And now that we've learned from this game, we're being able to apply that, wish and fight to bring this game back to life.

I'm sorry if I'm being too sentimental or dramatic, but after more than 20 years waiting for a new SMRPG and more than 10 to have Geno in Smash, the way things are going looks like the end of a book, when everything comes together in an outstanding and beautiful outcome.

Well, that image doesn't really say anything that we haven't already heard or could assume, and I am currently not buying any leakers at present, much less any that are talking about DLC (It's still too early.)

However, I certainly do share the sentiment of the rest of your post. I just truly believe Geno is base roster, and I don't really need evidence (or leakers) to convince me otherwise.

TBone06

Smash Ace

I don’t know if that’s conclusive evidence. Who is that posting it?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I will say this about Sora: he COULD pull it off as a fighter, but it would certainly be the closest we will ever come to having anything from non-gaming media in Smash. It is true that, regardless of whether you only use Sora himself, you would inevitably have to mention Disney properties like Donald and Goofy in at least his trophy description. The Disney media tie-in aspect of KH is integral to the core of the series, so this is unavoidable.
I don't get you guys. It's like you can't see past how Sora being a video game character and the assets revolving around him can be taken from all non-Disney portions of the game. Sora himself can have all moves that don't reference any Disney property, his stage could easily be Destiny Islands, Traverse Town or Twilight Town and the music for the stage could all be music that doesn't reference Disney. If you wanted to represent Disney without using a character, he could use the Kingdom Key as his default keyblade, bam done.

Didn't this guy recently double-back on a statement he made? I don't find him creditable, the only leaker we can trust is Vergeben, and Vergeben's statement about him doesn't give him any more credibility.

You know, here's a good question relating to Geno, what do you think he would be like if he appeared in the various spin off games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, and the Mario Sports game's? What would his various stats be, how would he be portrayed compared to the other characters, etc.
I think someone brought this up before about spin-offs, but I missed that train, so here I am now. I would love to see a Mario Kart course based off Moleville Town and the Minecart minigame, with everyone racing to a remix of Docaty Mountain Railroad/Hard-Working Moles Are Good Moles.

For Mario Party, I would love to see a map/course of Nimbus Land.

Geno in any sport spin-offs feels like a technical character to me, but he would have more power than most technical characters to properly display how he packs a punch but requires proper technique to do so.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I don't get you guys. It's like you can't see past how Sora being a video game character and the assets revolving around him can be taken from all non-Disney portions of the game. Sora himself can have all moves that don't reference any Disney property, his stage could easily be Destiny Islands, Traverse Town or Twilight Town and the music for the stage could all be music that doesn't reference Disney. If you wanted to represent Disney without using a character, he could use the Kingdom Key as his default keyblade, bam done.
Well, this probably isn't the place to go too deep into Sora's viability, and I admit I have no personal experience with KH as a series...but as an outsider, I can at least attest that to someone who hasn't played the games, Sora looks inexorably tied to Disney. That's kind of his and the series' "essence," if you will. I'm not saying you CAN'T separate the original stuff or that there's not enough of it to work around with, more that it doesn't make sense to work around the main point of KH, which is that it's an RPG built around Disney properties. And as we all know, Sakurai is adamant about preserving the essence of a character. Then there's Disney itself, who is also known for its tight control of its property--you really think they're going to agree to let Sakurai use only the original KH stuff and ignore their biggest properties? I don't think Disney or Sakurai think that'd be true to Sora.

To me, it seems like it would be a lot like putting Geno in, yet stripping him of all ties to the Mario series. Just because it could work doesn't mean it would feel right.

Disney stuff or no, I still think Sora could get into Smash. My point was that that would be as close as we'd ever get to non-gaming media in Smash. It doesn't hurt his chances at all.

Last edited:

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Well, that image doesn't really say anything that we haven't already heard or could assume, and I am currently not buying any leakers at present, much less any that are talking about DLC (It's still too early.)

However, I certainly do share the sentiment of the rest of your post. I just truly believe Geno is base roster, and I don't really need evidence (or leakers) to convince me otherwise.
I believe that base roster is already completed by Nitnendo, since the game launchs in 2 months and Nintendo needs to sends it's informations to maketing people, magazines and guides. So, I also believe that even if it takes some time until Nintendo reveals some DLC it is already working on. With Nintendo Switch Online needing more acceptance and visibility I think the DLCs will arrive faster this time.

I don’t know if that’s conclusive evidence. Who is that posting it?
Didn't this guy recently double-back on a statement he made? I don't find him creditable, the only leaker we can trust is Vergeben, and Vergeben's statement about him doesn't give him any more credibility.
Vergeben himself said he believes this guy is real. He has leaked some correct information from other games before and shared a few correct leaks before Vergeben.
But I know nothing about him going back on some statement.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
a more serious character than the rest, especially in the mario party games

you know that Mario party minigame where the characters eat the donuts in their own unique way, Geno would eat one like a gentleman.

in Mario sports games like strikers or golf, he'd be serious and competitive, but wouldn't be afraid to be flashy and show how awesome his powers are.

seeing how everyone has some aggro in mario strikers, Geno would be your typical shadow scoffing edgy guy when he loses.

Same goes for mario kart :3

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
a more serious character than the rest, especially in the mario party games

you know that Mario party minigame where the characters eat the donuts in their own unique way, Geno would eat one like a gentleman.

in Mario sports games like strikers or golf, he'd be serious and competitive, but wouldn't be afraid to be flashy and show how awesome his powers are.

seeing how everyone has some aggro in mario strikers, Geno would be your typical shadow scoffing edgy guy when he loses.

Same goes for mario kart :3
See I get the feeling he'd be kinda serious and competitive, but a smartass and jovial at the same time. Cool, but not the edgy type. Just was always my interpretation of him though

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I believe that base roster is already completed by Nitnendo, since the game launchs in 2 months and Nintendo needs to sends it's informations to maketing people, magazines and guides. So, I also believe that even if it takes some time until Nintendo reveals some DLC it is already working on. With Nintendo Switch Online needing more acceptance and visibility I think the DLCs will arrive faster this time.
DLC won't help advertise the online service, as you only need that to play online, not to download DLC--charging people to give you money is counterintuitive. Beyond that, you're right that the base roster is decided already, but the game is not yet complete, as Sakurai said he hopes to go gold "soon." And even if DLC were already being discussed, no leaker will ever have info on that during the decision phase; remember, there was not a single leak for three years after Ultimate's roster was finalized in 2015. Any info that anyone has will come from leaked presentations and the like, meaning only a few weeks or so before Nintendo releases the info themselves.

That being said, could Nintendo be planning to reveal DLC plans in the next two months? Possibly. But I doubt they'd have much to say, as I don't think Sakurai has even touched DLC discussion yet, given Bill Trinen's post-e3 comments on how determined Sakurai was to getting the game finished first.

In another month or so I could see Sakurai finish the game and move on to DLC, but that's not enough time to have literally anything but a list of names ready to show the public, and that would be a HUGE mistake to show without seeing if A) Sakurai can actually make a character work and B) if he can actually get the rights to any particular character (As many are said to be guests, remember.) Recall Sakurai has stated it takes about a year to create a newcomer--a few months is NOT enough of that time to have anything to show or indeed confirm at all. And before you cite Mewtwo, remember that he had been planned before DLC in Smash 4 was considered. He was a character planned for the base game, but they lacked the time to create or even start him. Him getting a reveal was sort of like cheating, if you will.

So long story short: it is TOO EARLY for DLC.

Now, if you want to consider rolling updates like with ARMS, I could see that. That's actually a trend in recent Nintendo games, especially competitive online ones. It's something that could be planned ahead of time as well. But that depends on Sakurai, and we know he likes to give people a complete package to start. The reason we get rolling updates is to get the game out sooner and keep people playing. But those games often seem incomplete on release. I don't foresee Sakurai letting Smash feel incomplete.

All that said, I do agree that DLC is a source of hope for many characters. I've said that from the start. But please, people, let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have tips on how to get the 100 jumps in mario RPG? I looked up a video that showed the window you have to press it after you get past 14. but that was for a CRT. the latency of a modern TV using an old console kind of confuses it a bit.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Anyone have tips on how to get the 100 jumps in mario RPG? I looked up a video that showed the window you have to press it after you get past 14. but that was for a CRT. the latency of a modern TV using an old console kind of confuses it a bit.
Ohhh...maybe that's why I couldn't pull it off on my last playthrough. Didn't even consider the TV might mess up the timing.

Not sure if I can help, since I couldn't do it either. But I feel your pain. The only thing I can think of is just to zone out, get to that state of jumping zen. My eyes go unfocused once I get to that point, lol. Literally just think of nothing, because a single stray thought will ruin an attempt.

Eventually, (theoretically) the timing should become autonomous, regardless of what TV you're on. It takes forever, though.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Vergeben himself said he believes this guy is real. He has leaked some correct information from other games before and shared a few correct leaks before Vergeben.
You talking about Hitagi? I think he backpedaled on the whole GranBlue Character thing. Which, honestly, isn't all that surprising. A GranBlue character was unlikely from the start. It's more likely that Nintendo was negotiating on the terms of Dragalia Lost and somewhere down the line the info got muddled into having something to do with Smash. CyGames + Nintendo was unheard of until, what, a month ago? Highly doubt they'd get a character in Smash.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
You talking about Hitagi? I think he backpedaled on the whole GranBlue Character thing. Which, honestly, isn't all that surprising. A GranBlue character was unlikely from the start. It's more likely that Nintendo was negotiating on the terms of Dragalia Lost and somewhere down the line the info got muddled into having something to do with Smash. CyGames + Nintendo was unheard of until, what, a month ago? Highly doubt they'd get a character in Smash.
He also said Steve was a guarantee, then backpedaled to basically what Vegeben has said since April/May, which is that Minecraft is getting some sort of representation. He essentially went from 'Steve is in, deal with it' to 'Well, Steve is in in some form' which to me means 'Minecraft is in in some form' because Steve could easily be a stage or AT.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
My whole opinion on this Sora thing goes like this, he is a Square Enix character that belongs to Disney, like how Geno is kinda a Mario character that belongs to Square. His origin is in Video Games, and I don't think his inclusion would be the Smash equivalent to Pandora's Box. I will say this though, why would Sakurai go for Sora when there is other less stressful and difficult options that are more popular(Geno), more gaming influence(Dragon's Quest character), and more iconic(Lara Croft).

On a more "Idea that has been invading my brain for the past hour" note, that Rosalina art in the Mario Odyssey art book(The one in the spoiler below) got me thinking about what Geno and Rosalina would do on a casual day, since there has always been a prevalent head cannon that she is his "Higher authority." If he is some helping hand, I just picture the two strolling around New Donk, with him carrying most of the bag's from the shopping Rosalina has done. Not to the point of comical stress on him, just him lending a helping hand for her and it being quite sweet and wholesome picture. What do you guys kinda think about a more casual Geno? We have only ever seen him in times of stress, and I do wonder how diffrent his nature would be if the land was not in danger.
Oh no what did you do to me

P_20180930_205751.jpg
Honestly, I kinda see Geno as the Hoodie kind of guy. Also apologize my inconsistency with Rosalina, I drew it by memory :'> (and also how badly this was drawn, starring my dying pen)

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
He also said Steve was a guarantee, then backpedaled to basically what Vegeben has said since April/May, which is that Minecraft is getting some sort of representation. He essentially went from 'Steve is in, deal with it' to 'Well, Steve is in in some form' which to me means 'Minecraft is in in some form' because Steve could easily be a stage or AT.
one random thought I had is that if there was a minecraft stage it could have steve in the background building things and digging up ground and stuff. say like there is a tree that is a platform than Steve walks over to cut it down for wood and the platform goes away.
maybe a bit of a stretch but who knows maybe someone could mistake something in the stage or just the stages existence to mean steve is in. since most of the time stages from new franchises come with characters. not always, but sometimes.

Oh no what did you do to me

Honestly, I kinda see Geno as the Hoodie kind of guy. Also apologize my inconsistency with Rosalina, I drew it by memory :'> (and also how badly this was drawn, starring my dying pen)
AAAWWWwwwww that's adorable!! although now makes me worried if we did have Geno working along side Rosalina that the internet would suddenly start shipping them xD

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
AAAWWWwwwww that's adorable!! although now makes me worried if we did have Geno working along side Rosalina that the internet would suddenly start shipping them xD
I don't doubt that they already have :'> But yeah, it would explode if they reveal that Rosalina IS the higher authority.

I wonder if they would reveal Geno's Star form as well (in HD *.*)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Start? I though it was already a thing.

Edit: I just realized, Rosalina and Geno being somehow linked is fitting on multiple levels. Sure, she is pretty much the closest thing to a god we have in the mainline games, as well as her big connection to the stars. But let's not forget that Geno is partially inspired by Pinocchio, and that his origin is that of the Blue Fairy. Heck, both Rosalina and the Blue Fairy wield magic wands and are very blue.

Last edited:

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198

Edit: I just realized, Rosalina and Geno being somehow linked is fitting on multiple levels. Sure, she is pretty much the closest thing to a god we have in the mainline games, as well as her big connection to the stars. But let's not forget who Geno is partially inspired by Pinocchio, and that his origin is that of the Blue Fairy. Heck, both Rosalina and the Blue Fairy wield magic wands and are very blue.
New Headcanon: The Luma in Smash 4 is in fact Geno without his puppet body.

Geno is ALREADY in Smash. *armcross*

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
Hey y'all, consider voting for Geno in this poll:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZPMtKfCsaYKB_NoS_NsX5RyVolJVDNcWh2hYAJnzvE4

it may help Geno's future chances!
Though I don't much care for polls with so many options, thankfully I can choose more than one! It also doesn't specify if they mean characters or just in the game in any form, so I assumed playable characters.

Here's what I picked :bee: :
  • Geno
  • Waluigi
  • Decidueye
  • Tails
  • Banjo & Kazooie
  • Sans (Undertale)
  • Paper Mario

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
It sure gave us a lot of options! but I still stayed with just Geno, Banjo, and Isaac. we don't need to flood the game. just a few good final contenders. granted the game already is ultimate! although I would like at least Geno to be one final epic fan pick

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I picked Geno, Steve, Skull Kid, Banjo-Kazooie, Isaac, some Pokemon, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Sans, Chibi-Robo, Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, Shantae, Louie, Ninten, Porky, some Kirby reps, and maybe some others but I'm not sure; a few I don't really "need" but would like to see for their fans.

also it's missing Gengar so that sucks :c

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Edit: I just realized, Rosalina and Geno being somehow linked is fitting on multiple levels. Sure, she is pretty much the closest thing to a god we have in the mainline games, as well as her big connection to the stars. But let's not forget who Geno is partially inspired by Pinocchio, and that his origin is that of the Blue Fairy. Heck, both Rosalina and the Blue Fairy wield magic wands and are very blue.
It's a headcanon of mine that Rosalina was the higher being that sent Geno on his quest and that he's actually a Luma.

link2702

Smash Champion
So on this run of smrpg I’ve basically only leveled up characters special bonus...

And wow does it make certain fights “interesting” even with me being so over leveled, many monsters normal attacks pack quite a surprise punch now, definitely making timed defensive hits more crucial. meanwhile every special move they use my characters shrug it off taking like 1-5 damage.

I’ve beaten smrpg so many times over the years that I’m just seeing what different challenges i can make for myself. I might after this decide to go an armorless and unarmed run next... Then a low level run after that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

The same guy also said that Smash Ultimate would have Katalina from Granblue Fantasy in it. That's so ludicrously unlikely it's almost Goku levels. I'm calling it bull**** until I see it happen. And as Granblue has literally no Smash popularity, or any connection to Nintendo in general, (don't give me Cloud. Sakurai wanted a FF character, a series with deep Nintendo roots, and picked Cloud because he was the most popular suggestion he saw.) I don't see it ever happening.

It's likely another case of "Leaker with legit info about another game decides to troll about Smash", which we've already seen multiple times this cycle.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's a headcanon of mine that Rosalina was the higher being that sent Geno on his quest and that he's actually a Luma.
I do think it's Rosalina, but I don't think he is a Luma. Geno's purpose and the Luma's are very different, as well as the abilities they hold, and they seem to have very different perspectives on things. Geno is probably something entirely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom