• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
There are not going to be be cross-series Echoes.

Do people forget that on the CSS they are placed next to (or on top of) their base character? Do people think the Miis are going to have an Echo slot for Geno? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous.
Agreed.

Rapwned

Smash Cadet
Regarding the Bowser music:

Wait ... You are totally right .... very interesting .... I hear it.
Don't forget that the music is also the final boss theme from Mario 3. While I'm hopeful, that song in particular likely says nothing about Geno's inclusion.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I actually went 20 years before I realized the bowser song from SMRPG was the final boss music from SMB3.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I actually went 20 years before I realized the bowser song from SMRPG was the final boss music from SMB3.
It's all good. I spent almost that long thinking Valentina's part bird when that's not even her real face. I even saw 3D render art and everything and didn't realize she had such a small face.

I bet few people here know about Johnny making a comment if Mario stands on his head too long.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, Valentina's face is not what your eyes are naturally drawn toward

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'm actually still not sure whether Mac is the red bobble head bouncing up and down pogo style OR if he's the blade and the red bobble is a weird hat/yoyo combo haha

kingkalamari

Smash Cadet
I'm actually still not sure whether Mac is the red bobble head bouncing up and down pogo style OR if he's the blade and the red bobble is a weird hat/yoyo combo haha
I like what the artist did with their render that's my avatar, basically Mack is the blade and the red Shyster riding him is a dummy rigged with a flame thrower to trick opponents to target that instead of the real Mack.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
It's all good. I spent almost that long thinking Valentina's part bird when that's not even her real face. I even saw 3D render art and everything and didn't realize she had such a small face.
This seems to happen with a fair few SMRPG characters. Valentina, Mack, Yaridovich...I even had trouble finding Belome's eyes for the longest time. I used to think Johnny's face was in a different spot, too.

I still don't know where the face is on those bird guards in Nimbus Land, lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If you guys listen to Bowser's character trailer - a Familiar tune! :D
Regarding the Bowser music:

Wait ... You are totally right .... very interesting .... I hear it.
It's the final boss theme from Super Mario Bros. 3.

It's likely got a stronger association with Mario RPG because it's one of the first things you hear in that game, compared to one of the last things that you hear in Mario 3 (if you even reach that point at all), but it's not a song that's exclusive to Mario RPG.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys. I’ve been lurking here for over a decade now, and fervently over the last few weeks. Geno in smash bros is something I’ve wanted since melee and I’m finally ready to allow myself to get excited for a third time. We’ve been let down before so hopefully this is it.

If they give me our boy, I’m gonna play this game more than is healthy

gzmee

Smash Apprentice
We've gotten so many dream characters (like Ridley and K. Rool) that I'm pretty sure that Geno's a lock. I'd be more surprised if he didn't make it in at this point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Bowser's SMRPG theme was an adaption from this, to my understanding. So it's more of a coincidence, imo. Would've been a cool hint for Geno(though not necessarily one for him being playable, as he could be a Mii costume again) otherwise.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
10 years for me but to be fair I didn't beat Mario 3 until long after I beat Mario RPG. I loved video games for as long as I can remember but I was not always so good at them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I never had problems identifying Valentina's face, I was moreso left wondering whether that bird is actually a wig or not...

10 years for me but to be fair I didn't beat Mario 3 until long after I beat Mario RPG. I loved video games for as long as I can remember but I was not always so good at them.
I didn't actually get to play SMB3 until All-Stars so I still got to know the tune in question, thankfully.

I bet few people here know about Johnny making a comment if Mario stands on his head too long.
I probably forgot about that, so thanks for pointing it out.

This seems to happen with a fair few SMRPG characters. Valentina, Mack, Yaridovich...I even had trouble finding Belome's eyes for the longest time. I used to think Johnny's face was in a different spot, too.

I still don't know where the face is on those bird guards in Nimbus Land, lol.
Easy, you can see the eyes inside those fake beaks of theirs. Yes, those are actually costumes.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The boss designs of SMRPG were so fun which is why I was so pissed at the lack of creativity in bosses in the last three Paper Mario games (Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Paper Jam). The Mario RPGs are usually the most creative when it comes to content and characters but there's a side of me that feels like it has steadily been getting worse. Mario RPG, Thousand Year Door, and Super Star Saga were the best of their respective series but the Mario RPGs seem to almost be having an identity crisis as of late.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
There is a chance the direct may be renounced in 3 hours. Heads up.
I imagine it'd be announced at SOME point today. I can't see the Direct being released any later than this week. (tho I'd still understand if they wanna wait a tad longer)

Klimax

Smash Ace
The boss designs of SMRPG were so fun which is why I was so pissed at the lack of creativity in bosses in the last three Paper Mario games (Sticker Star, Color Splash, and Paper Jam). The Mario RPGs are usually the most creative when it comes to content and characters but there's a side of me that feels like it has steadily been getting worse. Mario RPG, Thousand Year Door, and Super Star Saga were the best of their respective series but the Mario RPGs seem to almost be having an identity crisis as of late.
Don't know about Color Splash and Paper Jam since i didn't play it. But Sticker was not only lazy in his bosses' design but lazy with everything. Everything was so generic that it was just sad. I also don't remember a single NPC from the game.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, to be fair I'd say the giant pokey fight and giant blooper fights from Sticker Star were creative. Those bosses were mainly just BS from a gameplay perspective.

But yeah, I haven't really been super crazy about Mario RPGs as of late. SMRPG is awesome, the first 2 Paper Mario games are great, the first M&L was great. Super Paper Mario was kinda nice too, the only issue I have with that game is its too damn easy. Everything else has just been "whatever," with Sticker Star just being bad. The only other game that had anything going for it was Dream Team, but even that game kinda left a sour taste in my mouth thanks to the awful gyro controls of the last couple giant Luigi battles. I never even bothered with Paper Jam or Color Splash.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Don't know about Color Splash and Paper Jam since i didn't play it. But Sticker was not only lazy in his bosses' design but lazy with everything. Everything was so generic that it was just sad. I also don't remember a single NPC from the game.
Honestly I kinda liked Sticker Star, but it's not comparable to a Mario RPG... it's a strange hybrid between a platformer and an action adventure with turn based combat. Exploring the levels and solving the puzzles to find secret stuff was nice though, it's just that it's a completely different game than what it was supposed to be... but aside of all the critics the people make about the game being generic and uninspired, I remained stuck in a couple of places during the playthrough... I think it has some game design flaws, some parts were very unintuitive... I remember being stuck in that haunted house because there was something stupid and unintuitive to do in order to find a boo, and I got stuck in some other place that I can't remember now.

Also, it's normal that you can't remember any NPC, they were all generic toads and recurring Mario enemies. Maybe they are doing it on purpose to avoid cases like Geno (characters intended to appear only in that specific game but become fan favorite and fans start requesting them each new game).
Or for marketing reasons (those characters appear in several Mario games, if people start to like those basic Mario characters, they will play more Mario games that have them in), or for keeping the game casual friendly (casual gamers don't care about the backstory of a character or about their design, as long as they can play and have fun, so it's better for them to have basic character with no depth)... or simply out of laziness... but I doubt it's this last case though.

What can you do... that's Nintendo's direction, we can't do anything until they change their plans.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
SMRPG had some really creative bosses. If Nintendo does get the rights to Geno, I don't see why Sakurai wouldn't try to get other characters. I'd love to see Mallow as an assist trophy and either Bowyer, Smithy, Exor, or Mack as a boss. Bowyer especially would be interesting if he retains the mechanic of making you unable to use specific buttons.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Honestly I kinda liked Sticker Star, but it's not comparable to a Mario RPG... it's a strange hybrid between a platformer and an action adventure with turn based combat. Exploring the levels and solving the puzzles to find secret stuff was nice though, it's just that it's a completely different game than what it was supposed to be... but aside of all the critics the people make about the game being generic and uninspired, I remained stuck in a couple of places during the playthrough... I think it has some game design flaws, some parts were very unintuitive... I remember being stuck in that haunted house because there was something stupid and unintuitive to do in order to find a boo, and I got stuck in some other place that I can't remember now.

Also, it's normal that you can't remember any NPC, they were all generic toads and recurring Mario enemies. Maybe they are doing it on purpose to avoid cases like Geno (characters intended to appear only in that specific game but become fan favorite and fans start requesting them each new game).
Or for marketing reasons (those characters appear in several Mario games, if people start to like those basic Mario characters, they will play more Mario games that have them in), or for keeping the game casual friendly (casual gamers don't care about the backstory of a character or about their design, as long as they can play and have fun, so it's better for them to have basic character with no depth)... or simply out of laziness... but I doubt it's this last case though.

What can you do... that's Nintendo's direction, we can't do anything until they change their plans.
The bland characters issue was Miyamoto's doing. I specifically remember this, because I remember being very upset with him for meddling in one of my favorite series (PM). I believe the info came from a Iwata Asks, but I'm not sure.

The gist was, Miyamoto told Intelligent Systems to only use existing Mario characters in Sticker Star. Why? I forget, but it was NOT a very good reason, from what I remember. The other issue was that, originally, what would become Sticker Star was very much unique and with unique characters, and was similar to TTYD. But that was Miyamoto's problem with it: "It was just like the Gamecube game."

Like that was much of an issue in a series only 3 games old...but he mucked around in the process of the new game's creation, and the result was Sticker Star. Now, IS has no idea where to go with PM anymore. It apparently can't be an RPG because Mario & Luigi does that, but it can't be a platformer, either. It can't create new characters, and the stories are barebones and as uninteresting as the mainline Mario games (not a good idea for an RPG.) And all of this is because of Miyamoto. It's a reminder that, in all the good his touch can do for a game, it can just as easily ruin it.

Sorry, rant over, lol. This is a sore subject for me, as you can see...:p

domriver

Smash Lord
You know i just realized and im probably right on about this but say the direct happens on wednesday or thursday you know by MONDAY everyone is gonna be like UGH Whens the final smash direct.. AND ok so ??? is in whos the next POSSIBLE reveal? LOL

EDIT2:
I imagine the Microsoft side of things would be a lot more easier to work with, not to mention they have more to gain in the deal, If it wasn't for Sakurai I imagine Nintendo would't even bother or go through the trouble to get Banjo-Kazooie, But I am sure if Sakurai really wanted to include them then Nintendo would probably still be somewhat hesistant ,but willing to work a deal out with Microsoft ,But there is a part of me that thinks Nintendo stubbornness would get the better of them and while I'm sure they respect Banjo-Kazooie's legacy, they would probably prefer to leave their association with the IP in the past since they are no longer affiliated with the franchise.

There as an article released I believe about a week ago with Sakurai talking about Music. He mentioned that Nintendo HAS to buy the rights for music. Which means pretty much everything as well. Regarding Banjo-Kazooie it would have to be Nintendo, Rare, and Microsoft negotiating costs and what not. Im sure Nintendo TRUSTS Sakurai's judgement so adding Banjo/Kazooie MAY push a ton more of sales MAYBE NOT. But Nintendo has to give sakurai the check book for him to purchase these rights. Who knows though how much of a limit is Sakurai on when negotiating 3rd party guests. (especially from a competitors library) Is it different with company? or is there a set limit for REGARDLESS which company? Looking at castlevania Sakurai went all out Characters (2), Big stage, many cameos, and 34 music tracks that we know of concerning content of castlevania. Makes you wonder exactly what he has done for a character that he actually wants in (geno im hoping he goes allllllllll out). For Banjo-Kazooie he will treat them right I know he will. You can't have Banjo-Kazooie without Gruntilda and Spiral Mountain and amazing music that game has. :D Imma copy this to the Geno Thread as well. Good luck to everyone getting their most wanted character in. Banjo- Kazooie is a character I want but my priority is Geno. :D Double reveal BK/Geno omg *drool*
Edit

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, this Thursday would probably be it. With Nintendo's not so anticipated online service going up soon, they need to get that info out soon before it's too late.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I don't see the direct happening today, but Thursday. However, I could see an announcement today that the direct is scheduled for Thursday. I am sure Nintendo will give a heads up at least.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Didn't the Nindies Direct get a notice a day before it happened? If it didn't, then I have doubts for the Nintendo Direct even tomorrow and they have no excuse to not at least inform everyone that it's canceled.

Forget what I said; I thought it was Wednesday for some reason.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm hoping the hurricane we're expected to get over here doesn't prevent me from watching it on Thursday. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom