• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm so sorry plz forgive me.
No, it's my fault too, I read too much into the "before the end of April" claim in the Direct announcement for 3.0.0. and assumed it could be a case of exact words.

Still though, it's a good thing you guys don't really hang out in the Joker thread, Aeon over there is so depressed that they make Ovaltine here look like sunshine and rainbows.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Still though, it's a good thing you guys don't really hang out in the Joker thread, Aeon over there is so depressed that they make Ovaltine here look like sunshine and rainbows.
Man am I glad that the Ninten thread isn't nearly as pessimistic as it once was. It's pretty much an EB social thread at the moment and it's super laid back which is my kind of thread.

Your dip is not safe either.

Beware the 30th of April.
Oh no.

Not my Ice Cream.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You don't suppose even Nintendo employees are tired of waiting at this point? Or there's a severe lack of communication, if they weren't supposed to reveal the new mode until like two weeks later.

This situation is pretty unusual, when's the last time that something has been leaked via a commercial?
Does the box leak count as a commercial?

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the only person that doesn't give a crap about stage builder or home run contest. Unless they really change up home run contest or add way more options to stage builder and make it way better I don't see myself messing with either that much. kinda hoping we get more than this whenever we learn more on the 3.0.0 update.
I'm right there with you. If 3.0 is just Joker and these returning modes, I will say there was no point to hyping it like this.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Man, that's rough. I mean, at least when I felt low, it was over Geno and topical? Like, is this person just openly depressed about unrelated stuff on there...? That's sad and I feel for them, but... there's really a time and a place for those things.

(Thankfully, I've been feeling a lot better lately and I'm in a fine state of acceptance with Geno, so that's great! Still think his chances are very poor, but I'm okay with that now. I'm really sorry for my behavior. I was pretty whiny, haha.)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Does the box leak count as a commercial?
Not *quite* widespread enough. By that metric, I guess you could count the card with the empty slots.

Man, that's rough. I mean, at least when I felt low, it was over Geno and topical? Like, is this person just openly depressed about unrelated stuff on there...? That's sad and I feel for them, but... there's really a time and a place for those things.

(Thankfully, I've been feeling a lot better lately and I'm in a fine state of acceptance with Geno, so that's great! Still think his chances are very poor, but I'm okay with that now. I'm really sorry for my behavior. I was pretty whiny, haha.)
They treat ATLUS like the devil itself and worse than Capcom, simply for "milking a series with spin-offs" and "purposely holding things back against Nintendo's will".

Yeah, I don't see how that makes any sense either.

Firox

Smash Master
What does the Joker thread have to be depressed about?! At least their guy is a slam dunk. "Oh wahhh, I have to wait a couple more weeks!" Geez, we Geno fans have waited for almost two decades!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
They treat ATLUS like the devil itself and worse than Capcom, simply for "milking a series with spin-offs" and "purposely holding things back against Nintendo's will".

I, uh... what? I mean, maybe they are holding stuff back a bit because of the Jane alt, but that isn't so bad. It's a teeny bit annoying, but whatever. If we gotta wait, we gotta wait. Besides, ATLUS does a lot of great stuff with their games. I can't complain.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Is there a source for "ATLUS is forcing Nintendo to hold back on Joker news" or just an elementary school rumor someone made up?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Is there a source for "ATLUS is forcing Nintendo to hold back on Joker news" or just an elementary school rumor someone made up?
It's just a silly rumor. It probably isn't even ATLUS holding them back, but them agreeing on dates that would work best for them. This makes it sound like they're being whingy children about what they want, when they want it, when that ain't gonna be the case. C'mon.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

hick.png

...Worse than Capcom? Huh? What? I... :Internal angry Mega Man fan intensifies:

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
my uncle who works for ATLUS told me they have Nintendo by the neck.
It's just a silly rumor. It probably isn't even ATLUS holding them back, but them agreeing on dates that would work best for them. This makes it sound like they're being whingy children about what they want, when they want it, when that ain't gonna be the case. C'mon.
That's what I figured, honestly.

Anyway, there's been something interesting I've been thinking about. Has anyone ever taken a step back and thought about how much we learn about the video game industry just by speculating about Smash Bros.? I don't know about any of you guys, but I've learned a lot. Histories of companies, who owns what, etc.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Anyway, there's been something interesting I've been thinking about. Has anyone ever taken a step back and thought about how much we learn about the video game industry just by speculating about Smash Bros.? I don't know about any of you guys, but I've learned a lot. Histories of companies, who owns what, etc.
Doing research on Ninten/Mother alone blew my mind with how much I learned to be quite honest.

Like holy crap. I also learned (and adore) that Yoko Shimomura composed the Magicant/Eight Melodies mix for Smash 4. Makes me wonder what other Mother mixes she could blow me away with.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Doing research on Ninten/Mother alone blew my mind with how much I learned to be quite honest.
There's probably a lot of politics going on in the background that we'll never even know about. Hell, for all we know, Sakurai's friendship with Suda51 could maybe even get Travis Touchdown into Smash someday. The gaming industry is probably a lot smaller than we think.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Capcom is actually doing pretty well right now. All they need to do now is make great fighting games again and they might very well redeem themselves. The same can't be said for the likes of EA and Konami though.
Capcom has improved a heck of a lot, even if MM11 wasn't really monumental. It's still a good sign of going upward from here, though. When they improve on their fighting games, I think they'll be darn well awesome again. Even Square Enix, in all of its mismanagement, has a lot of promise in terms of improvement from here.

EA is just greedy as can be, alas, and I fear for the newest Star Wars game they're working on. Konami at least is very generous with Nintendo and Smash, but otherwise, I hope everyone's excited for Big Boss pachinko machines. :4pacman:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Capcom is actually doing pretty well right now. All they need to do now is make great fighting games again and they might very well redeem themselves. The same can't be said for the likes of EA and Konami though.
Fair fair. I just remember the 2010-2017 drought and was pretty anxious during that period. Mega Man getting in Smash was so unbelievably hype for me for that reason.

Firox

Smash Master
Capcom has improved a heck of a lot, even if MM11 wasn't really monumental. It's still a good sign of going upward from here, though. When they improve on their fighting games, I think they'll be darn well awesome again. Even Square Enix, in all of its mismanagement, has a lot of promise in terms of improvement from here.

EA is just greedy as can be, alas, and I fear for the newest Star Wars game they're working on. Konami at least is very generous with Nintendo and Smash, but otherwise, I hope everyone's excited for Big Boss pachinko machines. :4pacman:
As a former Yugioh player, I will never forgive Konami for what they did to that game. Years of collecting the sexiest Synchro and Xyz monsters only to have those abominable Link pieces of crap to make everything else painfully slow and obsolete. Burn in Hell with your greed, Konami. The Belmonts in Smash can't redeem you.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, Capcom has done really damn well the past couple of years when you start to look at it. We've seen them release Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter World, Mega Man 11, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and now Devil May Cry 5. All of which have been received from pretty good to downright amazing. It's hard to believe this is the same Capcom that has made so many mistakes in recent history, but they've done a lot to earn back my respect.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Street Fighter V are still horribly mismanaged entries in their respective franchises though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, Aeon has gotten so insistent with their vendetta against ATLUS that even the other Joker fans have gotten annoyed with Aeon at this point.

I don't know how Aeon manages to sleep at night having this level of :shaker:, just for a company doing nothing out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't have patience for them neither, but let's not talk about other users' back.
Right. Anyway, just be wary if anyone wants to post there.

Yeah, Capcom has done really damn well the past couple of years when you start to look at it. We've seen them release Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter World, Mega Man 11, Resident Evil 2 Remake, and now Devil May Cry 5. All of which have been received from pretty good to downright amazing. It's hard to believe this is the same Capcom that has made so many mistakes in recent history, but they've done a lot to earn back my respect.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinite and Street Fighter V are still horribly mismanaged entries in their respective franchises though.
It'd be miraculous if a hypothetical Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 managed to be done well, seeing as Capcom can't properly make fighting games right anymore.

Also, Phoenix Wright still doesn't have a physical release in the West again, but it's good that they're exposing the Switch audience to the first games, at least. That is the best console to spread out the series on, in regards to awareness (plus Nintendo roots). Oh and grab Dark Void Zero on 3DS e-shop while you still can, it's a hidden gem.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

I learned so much about the history of the Mario RPGs while speculating about Geno.
Honestly ... Their current state as a franchise and how Nintendo treat them is ****ing sad...

They don't think that 2 Mario RPGs can live together , so they make Paper Mario well... "Lol , it's Mario but Paper".
And then they said "if you want to play a Mario RPG , play Mario and Luigi !" , geez I'm not surprised some PM fans want Mario and Luigi to die as a franchise after that. While Nintendo is doing way better , Paper Mario's future is bad right now , and I don't see a new Paper Mario happening before late 2020 at best , since IS is busy with Three Houses.
And with Mario and Luigi , Alphadream made a M&L every 2 years without stopping since Dream Team , it's a bit too much , even if the last 2 were remakes. Alphadream is getting ehausted with the franchise and they keep asking them to make M&L games.

And you know , SE had the wonderful idea to keep the rights to Mario characters , like Capcom did with Vaati... Yeah , they didn't do it because they were "eviiiiiiil !!!" , but it's just sad that they didn't do a single thing with them , not even a damn cameo in a FF game. It's just wasted potential.

That's why I want a softreboot of the Mario RPGs , keep the important elements but try to unify everything in a way. Because the current state of the Mario RPGs is a damn mess when it shouldn't be.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I definitely learned that Square is barely held together with metaphorical scotch tape, considering how every little thing that's significant enough is owned by at least one person each over there, not to mention that DQ is actually owned by several authors and such, explaining possibly why DQ crossovers are mostly limited to in-series ones.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It'd be miraculous if a hypothetical Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 managed to be done well, seeing as Capcom can't properly make fighting games right anymore.

Also, Phoenix Wright still doesn't have a physical release in the West again, but it's good that they're exposing the Switch audience to the first games, at least. That is the best console to spread out the series on, in regards to awareness (plus Nintendo roots). Oh and grab Dark Void Zero on 3DS e-shop while you still can, it's a hidden gem.
Speaking of ports, I'm really hoping Danganronpa and the Zero Escape series get ported to the Switch eventually. Those games were pretty much designed for handhelds and while they function on the PS4, playing all of them on the go without having to buy a Vita (Good console, terrible handling outside of Japan in my opinion.) would be super cool.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have. I've learned so much more about Ninten and Mother, Geno and SMRPG, Isaac and Golden Sun, Banjo-Kazooie and, well, Banjo-Kazooie, Crono and Chrono Trigger, Sora and Kingdom Hearts, Erdrick and Dragon Quest...and the list goes on, lol.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, Capcom has been bouncing back and Megaman 11 was pretty good.

Now where's my Megaman X9? (and please make it actually good and not mediocre like the last few)

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Speaking of ports, I'm really hoping Danganronpa and the Zero Escape series get ported to the Switch eventually. Those games were pretty much designed for handhelds and while they function on the PS4, playing all of them on the go without having to buy a Vita (Good console, terrible handling outside of Japan in my opinion.) would be super cool.
Holy moly, someone else who knows about Zero Escape?! One of my friends HOUNDED me to play it for literal years until he sat me down and watched me play his copy on Steam. And it didn't disappoint. HIGHLY recommend to those who haven't played or even heard of it before. And the music is GODLIKE. I'm currently (albeit slowly) playing through VLR.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Holy moly, someone else who knows about Zero Escape?! One of my friends HOUNDED me to play it for literal years until he sat me down and watched me play his copy on Steam. And it didn't disappoint. HIGHLY recommend to those who haven't played or even heard of it before. And the music is GODLIKE. I'm currently (albeit slowly) playing through VLR.
Heh, my friend hounded me to play the series as well. I remember trying to find a copy of The Nonary Games on PS4 was near impossible in my state when I first got it. In fact, the copy I bought was the only copy for sale from Gamestop in my entire state. (American confirmed lulz) Not sure if they were just low on stock or what.

But yes. Would certainly recommend!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am personally more familiar with a different Spike Chunsoft death game series, but I have seen a bit of that Zero Escape.

Also, I found this.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I am personally more familiar with a different Spike Chunsoft death game series, but I have seen a bit of that Zero Escape.

Also, I found this.
Seriously , it's a shame that leaks (and some discord friends) spoiled me some amazing characters like Ridley and Incineroar (Yup I really like the big fire cat).
Sakurai can't say anything or do anything on social medias or with another company without the risk of leaking something by accident. Like , was the stage builder leak intentional ? It was only a damn second and was a bit blurry ... But they used the updated version of Smash Ultimate. It's really weird.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, Capcom has been bouncing back and Megaman 11 was pretty good.

Now where's my Megaman X9? (and please make it actually good and not mediocre like the last few)
I'm more worried about whether the Mega Man X: Corrupted fangame will safely come out before Multimedia Flash implodes.

Heh, my friend hounded me to play the series as well. I remember trying to find a copy of The Nonary Games on PS4 was near impossible in my state when I first got it. In fact, the copy I bought was the only copy for sale from Gamestop in my entire state. (American confirmed lulz) Not sure if they were just low on stock or what.

But yes. Would certainly recommend!
Speaking of Spike Chunsoft, their upcoming games seem intriguing. AI: The Somnium Files in particular involves the author of the Nonary games behind it, natch. Also, Fire Pro Wrestling World DLC scenario by Suda 51, that oughta be lit.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let me add another recommendation for Zero Escape to the pile. That series doesn't get the credit it deserves.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Welp I had someone quoted by I lost it yet again, ho well. Not even sure what it was about.

Anyway, EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman I wish people would stop assuming that since someone else doesn't think a character can get in, it means they don't want or like that character. Jesus Christ, other than Dragon Quest 3 I hold a completely unbiased stance, and my only issue with DQ3 is all the losers all over the internet who treat you like garbage because you are more logical then they are. I just want them to be wrong because of how much of a stain they are.

Seriously, I've never touched Ninja Gaiden but ninjas are badass and I grew up on Naruto, so I dig the whole 'physical badass that also has limited mystical powers' ninja trope. With this in mind and after learning that the claim against Hayabusa held no weight and finding no other claims, I see nothing that currently prevents his inclusion.

Doomguy is a completely different story. You bring up Bayonetta as a counter, and many people bring up Snake as well, but it's just NOT the same. Snake is easy: he's a dude who is military trained and can hurt people without being lethal and you can use his weapons and some of his techniques in a comical manner almost while also keeping the gritty tone of the character. However, he never does anything super brutal and from what I have gathered, it's not in his personality to take violence past the level it needs to be to get the job done.

Bayonetta is sexy, yes, but nudity is not part of her personality or core character, but merely a result of using her abilities. Her chill demeanor about stripping naked and still being classy about it is what you are referring to, and preventing her from stripping naked takes nothing from her personality as she's amazing represented in Smash ("If you need to learn how to talk to a lady, ask your mother!"), the only things toned down about her character being use of language and innuendos.

Doomguy though? Being excessively violent is at his core personality. Weapons aside, when he fights with just what his mama gave him, does he tone it down and merely punch them down or at the most break their neck or something? HELL NO! He rips them apart with no restraint and does it in different ways as if he's trying to make a work of art out of it and keeping himself entertained. He doesn't slow down and he doesn't give a **** about you or your friends or really what anyone says because he's gonna do what he wants and if you are in his way you'll shortly be out of his way and in various amounts of pieces. He's an original badass and I love it and so do others, but how could you possible bring that to Smash? Will he punch Mario's face off? Will he rip Pit's wings off his back a la God of War? No, he won't, because that wouldn't be allowed in Smash. Thus, if he DOES make it in, at most he will just have moves that look like they would have that kind of impact but have no gore or blood and then he's not really Doomguy anymore because his personality of ripping through the competition literally has been removed and he's just generic FPS guy.

Just for funsies, a lot of people bring up Mortal Kombat and how for this same reason Scorpion or Sub-Zero will never get in Smash...problem is that Injustice 1 and 2 have made both them and Raiden into a form that is of tolerable violence for other games, meaning there are canon variations of this characters showing restraint and holding back...does Doomguy have this? Does he have a game that was built from the ground up with making him less violent? If he does it improves his chances, if not we are back to the start here.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I ****ING LOVE MY VITA.

Such a shame the console never really got a fair shake. I know its price was probably a bit too high (and oh god the memory cards...) and they focused way too heavily on the useless 3G feature of it early on, but there was genuinely quite a few great games released on the system. It just never really managed to catch on outside of Japan, even with all the groundwork the PSP had laid here in the States.

But for my money, it's definitely an amazing device to have. I've got a 16 GB memory I got on sale and just have so many PS1 Classics and PSP games downloaded. Many of which I'd never gotten the chance to play as I just never could get into them on the actual PS1 or PSP for some reason, but the Vita convinced me to give them another try.

And the Vita's actual library, while limited, is also quite diverse and good. Games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, and Gravity Rush were absolutely awesome Sony titles that felt like PS3 games. Plus, the thing was a port machine. The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, the Sly Cooper Collection, and of course, Persona 4 Golden. Persona 4 Golden was the first JRPG in forever I actually managed to finish and got me really interested in the series. I haven't managed to play Persona 3 Portable or 5 yet (Waiting to see if we get a Switch version of 5 or not before I buy the PS4), but I loved 4 Golden.

Honestly, it was my favorite portable console before the Switch really came in and took that spot, and even now, I still play it semi-regularly. It was also THE portable indie machine that Switch seems to have done so well with this generation as well.

I've only played 999 so far, but I also really enjoyed that. Just waiting to commit on the other Virtue's Last Reward, and then Danganronpa has been on my backlog for ages...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just for funsies, a lot of people bring up Mortal Kombat and how for this same reason Scorpion or Sub-Zero will never get in Smash...problem is that Injustice 1 and 2 have made both them and Raiden into a form that is of tolerable violence for other games, meaning there are canon variations of this characters showing restraint and holding back...does Doomguy have this? Does he have a game that was built from the ground up with making him less violent? If he does it improves his chances, if not we are back to the start here.
I think the actual issue with Sub-Zero/Scorpion is the lack of overall appeal in Japan (think Metroid, but times 20), on top of no imports, never mind Warner Bros. presumably being expensive to borrow stuff from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom