• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
A couple of things on this:

-Many people are expecting at least a teaser by the end of the week because both the official Pokemon Facebook and Twitter accounts have been going through all the regions with one a day and a new region would hypothetically start on Pokemon Day. People also expect this because, in retrospect, Pokemon Let's Go was teased last Pokemon Day.

-Apparently a Chinese Twitter account that leaked Gen 7 claims they've seen enough developmental material for Gen 8 to note that it's "refreshing" and more or less claims that there will be a lot of changes but it won't be a hard reboot.

-Of rumors floating around, the most popular concerning the new region claim it will either be based on the UK (England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland) or the American Southeast (supposedly Texas and Arizona being the biggest sources of inspiration). Neither are really upheld by anyone credible, however.
Melmetal is in, boys.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I have a question for any user who has been on Smashboards for a long time. Was liking posts much more of a rarity back in the past? I have seen old non active accounts that have tons of posts, yet no likes, and reaching the high tier trophies for tons of likes is much easier that the ones for an insane amount of posts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to Joker holding back reveals, it's probably because the second he was suggested, Sakurai said YES!! and didn't take time to think that Atlus might have been wanting to tie their P5R reveal plans to the character's official release reveal.

Although then again, it's hard to see if any of the other pass characters would have left such a big impact at the VGAs.

You know, I have a question for any user who has been on Smashboards for a long time. Was liking posts much more of a rarity back in the past? I have seen old non active accounts that have tons of posts, yet no likes, and reaching the high tier trophies for tons of likes is much easier that the ones for an insane amount of posts.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that didn't exist back then. Hell, not for 4's speculation cycle either.

Been playing the **** out of GS.

How y'all doin'?
Doing good, trying to occupy myself during this long wait.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Likes are pretty recent. I want to say they were created sometime in 2013/2014. The Brawl cycle definitely didn't have them.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah there weren't likes back then. Much simpler times. I'm not even sure there were trophies. If there were I never saw them.

The ultimate era is pretty cool. There was a lot of talk back then but i dont think there was nearly as much hype for news as there is now.
Speaking of, march would really be a good time for some :)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah there weren't likes back then. Much simpler times. I'm not even sure there were trophies. If there were I never saw them.

The ultimate era is pretty cool. There was a lot of talk back then but i dont think there was nearly as much hype for news as there is now.
Speaking of, march would really be a good time for some :)
On the other hand, I have really mixed feelings about this cycle, up to and including little things, such as a certain user who said "Pichu will be the last DLC, you'll see" essentially having been replaced by one who goes "Everyone hates Goku except for me! :hulk:". Ergo, not as fun anymore. Although some long-standing wants finally got in and their supporters are happier for it. :ultdaisy::ultridley::ultkrool:

That being said, I honestly kinda doubt we'll get news next month, I expect we'll have to wait until April still.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
On the other hand, I have really mixed feelings about this cycle, up to and including little things, such as a certain user who said "Pichu will be the last DLC, you'll see" essentially having been replaced by one who goes "Everyone hates Goku except for me! :hulk:". Ergo, not as fun anymore. Although some long-standing wants finally got in and their supporters are happier for it. :ultdaisy::ultridley::ultkrool:

That being said, I honestly kinda doubt we'll get news next month, I expect we'll have to wait until April still.
Oof, I really expect something in march, even if it's later in the month. I feel like some other news could pop up other than a smash direct too. Just my gut, could be wrong.

And, once you learn to tune out certain posts, it's much better. Sometimes there's some really cool stuff, and other times there's just lots of immaturity. That's partly expected for a game site, but anyway it's still hype when it's about games and characters you like. The grinch leak was probably the worst part for quite a few people, for quite a few reasons. A lot can be fun aside from the crappy bits.

Last edited:

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
You're talking about the company that thinks that millions is underperforming, and are stingy as heck.
...But it did underperform. Selling millions doesn't mean the money they got returned the expenses and the profit margin expected.

Hell, one single movie was enough to get them in trouble to the point of doing a merger with TWO companies. Meanwhile, Nintendo took the Super Mario Bros. movie flop like a champ, and that was in the early 90s.

If we even get an SE character in the DLC round at all, it wasn't due to Sakurai arm-twisting them, but having a full-on wrestling match with them.
You're comparing a company that put a huge portion of its savings into what would be a revolutionary film in the beginning of 3D animation (which led to debts that would only be saved by the help of a merger), with a company that licensed to a couple with complete lack of experience in filmmaking to work on a cheap live action film.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Oof, I really expect something in march, even if it's later in the month. I feel like some other news could pop up other than a smash direct too. Just my gut, could be wrong.

And, once you learn to tune out certain posts, it's much better. Sometimes there's some really cool stuff, and other times there's just lots of immaturity. That's partly expected for a game site, but anyway it's still hype when it's about games and characters you like. The grinch leak was probably the worst part for quite a few people, for quite a few reasons. A lot can be fun aside from the crappy bits.
At the very least we’re getting that update which is dope. Though I’d say early April is the latest time where we’ll find out the next dlc character.

Oh god don’t remind me, the banner leak was hell.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
At the very least we’re getting that update which is dope. Though I’d say early April is the latest time where we’ll find out the next dlc character.

Oh god don’t remind me, the banner leak was hell.
At the least, yeah. Even just seeing joker gameplay sometimes soon will be cool.
It'd be a great way to build up hype to release a few tidbits here and there, it's too bad they havent done that more often this time around.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Square's biggest problem is that they drag out development for games for absurd amounts of time. The company hemmorages money because of this. They'll get 2-3 years into a game and then "ope, a key person left in frustration, better redo most of the project" or "let's spend like 75% of the budget on cutscenes and then slow grind the rest of the game when money's in short supply." If it wasn't for rereleases, remasters, and mobile games, they probably would have bottomed out a long time ago.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Square's biggest problem is that they drag out development for games for absurd amounts of time. The company hemmorages money because of this. They'll get 2-3 years into a game and then "ope, a key person left in frustration, better redo most of the project" or "let's spend like 75% of the budget on cutscenes and then slow grind the rest of the game when money's in short supply." If it wasn't for rereleases, remasters, and mobile games, they probably would have bottomed out a long time ago.
Might be why they're trying to kindle that dragon quest in the west popularity again. Maybe a little bankruptcy will teach them better pipeline practices.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's a wonder Kingdom Hearts III eventually got out at all, really. They're lucky that Enix doesn't waste any time.

I mean, it's baffling how much Square drags things out now, when back in the 90s, their US branch managed to quickly pump out a couple of games aimed specifically at Western audiences.

Granted they would have gone bankrupt back in the NES era for entirely different reasons (i.e. games that are either mediocre or didn't get enough of an audience for sales).

Might be why they're trying to kindle that dragon quest in the west popularity again. Maybe a little bankruptcy will teach them better pipeline practices.
Only issue is that in regards to Japanese culture, "tried-and-true" methods are favored when trying to do something different fails. But what happens when that eventually fails as well?

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Only issue is that in regards to Japanese culture, "tried-and-true" methods are favored when trying to do something different fails. But what happens when that eventually fails as well?
You either adapt and overcome or fade into obscurity. Maybe they'll pull a konami, give up and spend the rest of their days making pachinko machines.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's a wonder Kingdom Hearts III eventually got out at all, really. They're lucky that Enix doesn't waste any time.

I mean, it's baffling how much Square drags things out now, when back in the 90s, their US branch managed to quickly pump out a couple of games aimed specifically at Western audiences.

Granted they would have gone bankrupt back in the NES era for entirely different reasons (i.e. games that are either mediocre or didn't get enough of an audience for sales).
It's because gaming culture has changed a lot and the company still acts like it's the late 90's/early 2000's. Game development has only gotten more expensive and more complicated but the company regularly insists on making massive games with cutting edge graphics and most companies can't handle this on a regular basis anymore. Disney can do this with movies because they regularly shatter records worldwide but sales for Square Enix games haven't been super impressive outside of Japan for a lot of there games for awhile now and they keep losing money because of it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think of SE as being in an experimental track for now, and I'm sure they'l figure things out, both for making more games quickly as well as working on some modern hard-hitters once in a while. Maybe I'm just hopeful, but I still like their games, so as long as they keep afloat it's all good. Just hopeful on the live and learn part for them.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

I think of SE as being in an experimental track, and I'm sure they'l figure things out, both for making more games quickly as well as working on some modern hard-hitters once in a while. Maybe I'm just hopeful, but I still like their games, so as long as they keep afloat it's all good. Just hopeful on the live and learn for them.
I'd think experimental would mean trying out new approaches to game design instead of the same outdated ones

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
FF7 Remake needs to be flawless and needs to be one complete game rather than episodic.

KH3 sold alright but it's a very disappointing game, they need to redeem themselves with the biggest thing anyone has ever asked for considering they kinda bombed with the second biggest.

If they fail this, they are done.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'd think experimental would mean trying out new approaches to game design instead of the same outdated ones
Which FF shows. Kingdom Hearts too, even if it stuck to more stuff.
Ideally there'd be both, which there is. DQ is more sticking to their guns (tho it's still mostly super big in japan).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
FF7 Remake needs to be flawless and needs to be one complete game rather than episodic.

KH3 sold alright but it's a very disappointing game, they need to redeem themselves with the biggest thing anyone has ever asked for considering they kinda bombed with the second biggest.

If they fail this, they are done.
FF7 Remake is the only meal ticket they have left, and their proverbial "in case of emergency break glass" to pull out should their survival be in jeopardy. They'll have to reconsider and make it a single game again sooner or later. They can no longer put it off.

If this fails, it will truly be their Final Fantasy this time.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Going back to Reggie for a second, there's something I noticed that just makes me prouder of his overall presidency.

Back at E3 2004 when he made his first public appearance, everyone was doubting Nintendo. When he stepped on the stage and did his whole "My name is Reggie" bit, he basically told the crowd (paraphrasing here) "Nintendo really does not care what Microsoft or Sony is doing. We want to make games for everyone, it will always be that way, and we don't care if that puts us behind our competition". He was able to get the unsure audience members on board with the new Gamecube games and also the DS. Now, as he leaves about 15 years after E3 2004, people aren't seeing Nintendo as kiddie anymore. In fact, there's just more respect for the company than anything. Microsoft and Nintendo are working together, Squeenix and Nintendo are working together. Of course Reggie didn't cause this entire change himself, but he definitely kickstarted it way back when by telling the gaming world "we're not changing for anyone".

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I’m gonna laugh if Brave ends up not being the Square Rep/Banjo/Frisk and ends up being someone completely different.

It’s what I’m thinking at the moment to be honest.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I’m gonna laugh if Brave ends up not being the Square Rep/Banjo/Frisk and ends up being someone completely different.

I'm just gonna play devil's advocate here and say that Brave will not be the SE rep. If I'm wrong, I'll start to reevaluate my stance on leaks. If I'm right, then I will continue to not support leaks of any nature.

Dynamic Worlok

Given the grim prognostics we've had so far, an upset of this caliber would be most welcome.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Which one are you talking about?
Almost any Final Fantasy main game since X for starters. Even without that in mind if there are semantics, their crossover appearances in products they themselves don't own have been historically stingy.

Also, regarding SMRPG itself, between them and Nintendo, it's clear who cares more.

Granted, like you said too, the cases of priority do take factor. That said, Nintendo aren't really the ones to blame for allegedly holding Geno back, as Square's behavior with Cloud and their other properties show. And yeah, properties and all that, but that just further showcases how bad Sqaure are at properly managing their stuff.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That it wouldn't be an SE character is one of the first things I thought about back when we first started hearing about brave. At this point though there's just too much stuff that's been talked around.

I don't think anyone should believe the large 5ch leak as if one person would know all the characters. I think it makes more sense to keep it open for at least the last 3 characters which we have nothing to go with. Of course, anyone can hope for any character, but at the end of the day it's not 'grim' even with certain ones, there's fans of any one, especially if it's in smash then there's usually a lot of fans unless it's a joke character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom