• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingenious!

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2810-4113-1684
Switch FC
SW 8436 9508 1692
Prove it.
Pff, Well he gave it back..but heres the ipad in question

BUT fun fact I Fking love Shantae she is so adorable I love she needs to be in smash even I dare say..before shovel knight? (Rottytops echo por favor..somehow) (I aint gonna listen to funky fresh beats for the rest of the day arent I)

Last edited:

Lime3037

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1521 3002 4745
What Smash 4 DLC character were you all the most excited for?
Mewtwo. I has missed it, though I don't play as it often.
Lucas is fine.
Roy, I was underwhelmed, until I played him and had fun using him.
Ryu was a surprise, though I remember thinking about whether he would work in Smash or not. I like using him, but I suck majorly.
Corrin I hadn't even heard of when they were revealed. I didn't warm up to them, until I played Fates, which I really liked. I'm now a Corrin fan, though I don't use them often.
Cloud and Bayonetta I just shrugged at. They aren't my cup of tea, and I've never played FF7.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
None of them to be completely honest. If I had to say one. It was Mewtwo. And he wasn't even a newcomer. Lets just say it was a painful DLC season for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ignore this. I just realized that this does not fit in the Geno thread and instead I should post it in the Social thread. Guess I'm just more comfortable here.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo and Roy were hype
Lucas was pretty cool
Ryu and Cloud were ****ing HUGELY hype for me, Ryu because it was hella cool seeing probably the two biggest fighting game franchises having a crossover and Cloud because never in my wildest dreams did I think it would happen, but lo and behold it did
Bayonetta was also pretty hype, but only in retrospect since I played Bayo 1 and 2 AFTER she was in Smash. At the time I was like "huh neat I guess"
Corrin was stupid

D

Deleted member

He's still gotten things massively wrong in the past, such as stating that Noctis, Phoenix Wright, and Tails were all going to be in the base game, among others. No one's track record is perfect... for the most part.
When did he say this? I need sources.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Cloud and Bayonetta easily. I was more hype for them than any Ultimate Newcomer or DLC character (so far) TBH.

Maybe if Isaac or Shovel Knight were made playable, or if Castlevania content wasn't spoiled, that stuff would have matched them or atleast come close, but eh...

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
idk I think I stopped following what was going on after Roy, Ryu, and Lucas was released, so I only got them and Mewtwo plus Dream Land and the mii stuff because I got the bundle.

I might've seen Cloud, Geno Mii and Bayonetta stuff but I'm not entirely sure; I don't remember knowing about Corrin until I saw her on the Ultimate website, and at first I was confused because male Corrin looked like a girl so I thought female Corrin was just some sort-of alt. with a changed face until my thinker figured it out but fem. Corrin is cool.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Take a wild guess.
It was Mewtwo. At that point, I was pretty much convinced Mewtwo was never coming back, so seeing my original main revealed as the premiere DLC fighter pretty much made my year to the point that the rest of the DLC honestly paled in comparison. I still remember pulling an all-nighter to grab my Mewtwo code as soon as it dropped... yep, good times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76403748

Correction, he stated that this was a rumor he'd gotten and posted. My bad. With that said, though, he did still post that information.
Okay. So this is what bugs me when people start to say "Vergeben said this" or "that." Vergeben out of us all knows that information coming from sources that are not personally trusted should not be taken as his claim. This means that if even he is not 100% sold on something, then we shouldn't be praising it around like the gospel. He literally acknowledges this. "A totally brand new person claiming to having this info got into contact with me recently, so I'm taking this with as much of a grain of salt as you." He's not claiming anything. He's just saying what is told by him from some anonymous source. From the looks of what came afterward, he probably stopped relying on it and got actually good sources.

However, he has said with 100% certainty (and made fun of those who doubted him) that Isabelle, Incineroar, Simon, and whoever else he stated was certainly coming to the game. Contrast your citation to this post and you can see how he tries to word himself carefully on who he thinks is coming. The post you linked, Ovaltine, only has him quoting a source from a person he didn't even define as trustworthy. I can't really say that made him wrong. That's like saying Papagenos was wrong about Banjo-Kazooie even though he warned that this supposed Microsoft source was unreliable. No. He only relayed us information and didn't claim anything. The source itself was the problem, and both Vergeben and Papagenos knew this from these specific examples. If Vergeben has no info, he'll just say what other leakers or insiders are saying for speculation. That doesn't mean he's saying that their word is right.

That being said, the only concrete slip-ups I really found from Vergeben's Smash Ultimate run was in fact when we'd get newcomers and content. He seems to not have a read on when something will get announced, like how the SE rep is supposedly pushed back to DLC. I have strong conviction that if Vergeben says a newcomer is in, it's in. Don't care when, don't care how; he clearly cannot guess that. However, he can guess that someone is coming, and that's enough for me. Look at the pattern that actually matters and I hope you see where I'm coming from.

Or not. Speculation is healthy when it comes to this. I'm just pitching why Vergeben shouldn't be immediately swept under other less reliable leakers. If he makes a confident character claim and it ends up being wrong, that will be his true fall from grace he'll never recover from.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay. So this is what bugs me when people start to say "Vergeben said this" or "that." Vergeben out of us all knows that information coming from sources that are not personally trusted should not be taken as his claim. This means that if even he is not 100% sold on something, then we shouldn't be praising it around like the gospel. He literally acknowledges this. "A totally brand new person claiming to having this info got into contact with me recently, so I'm taking this with as much of a grain of salt as you." He's not claiming anything. He's just saying what is told by him from some anonymous source. From the looks of what came afterward, he probably stopped relying on it and got actually good sources.

However, he has said with 100% certainty (and made fun of those who doubted him) that Isabelle, Incineroar, Simon, and whoever else he stated was certainly coming to the game. Contrast your citation to this post and you can see how he tries to word himself carefully on who he thinks is coming. The post you linked, Ovaltine, only has him quoting a source from a person he didn't even define as trustworthy. I can't really say that made him wrong. That's like saying Papagenos was wrong about Banjo-Kazooie even though he warned that this supposed Microsoft source was unreliable. No. He only relayed us information and didn't claim anything. The source itself was the problem, and both Vergeben and Papagenos knew this from these specific examples. If Vergeben has no info, he'll just say what other leakers or insiders are saying for speculation. That doesn't mean he's saying that their word is right.

That being said, the only concrete slip-ups I really found from Vergeben's Smash Ultimate run was in fact when we'd get newcomers and content. He seems to not have a read on when something will get announced, like how the SE rep is supposedly pushed back to DLC. I have strong conviction that if Vergeben says a newcomer is in, it's in. Don't care when, don't care how; he clearly cannot guess that. However, he can guess that someone is coming, and that's enough for me. Look at the pattern that actually matters and I hope you see where I'm coming from.

Or not. Speculation is healthy when it comes to this. I'm just pitching why Vergeben shouldn't be immediately swept under other less reliable leakers. If he makes a confident character claim and it ends up being wrong, that will be his true fall from grace he'll never recover from.
All true, yeah. I completely remembered the post the wrong way, even though I'd seen it just yesterday. Definitely jumped the gun with my post there, and I agree completely with everything you've said here.

I'm really sorry for the misinformation and the mix-up! I have a lot of reasons to be unsure about Verge, mostly because I'm wary of anything that isn't Sakurai-confirmed, but this isn't a good one, yeah.

D

Deleted member

I have a lot of reasons to be unsure about Verge, mostly because I'm wary of anything that isn't Sakurai-confirmed
Honestly Sakurai is the worst leaker. He ****ing announces newcomers in directs when we wanna avoid spoilers. Like come on. /s

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It's the way verge presents himself. The dude always acts so high and mighty and when he is called out on something he throws a massive fit. It makes me cheer for everything that comes out of his mouth to be a massive lie.

D

Deleted member

Joker is the character Sakurai uses to **** with leakers.

Because he was Joking when he told Vergeben that the SE rep was first :troll:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ironically, Verge allowed that fraud Hitagi to hang around him. Possibly because he didn't know how unreliable they turned out to be.

Also, relaying the info you may have heard about to Gamefaqs is like deciding to wander around in the hood.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's the way verge presents himself. The dude always acts so high and mighty and when he is called out on something he throws a massive fit. It makes me cheer for everything that comes out of his mouth to be a massive lie.
Cheering for false info and claiming something is false info are massively different. I don't even keep up with him anymore. Just wait for someone else to say what Vergeben said and you can skip all of his dumb arguments. It saves me a lot of stress so I can only recommend it out of good intent.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I only got two of the seven DLC characters.

1. Mewtwo was the one that surprised me most because I've wanted him to come back, and he was absent from Brawl. I did get Mewtwo for my game.
2. Lucas and Roy didn't surprise me, but all I can say is semi-clones aren't worth $4.
3. Ryu was a fantastic addition for DLC. I used to go to an arcade all the time and played the hell out of Street Fighter (I think it was SF2) there. But I wasn't caught in the Smash 4 hype, mostly because the game didn't please me. I did not get Ryu, but I'm happy I waited for the next Smash game because now I can play as him and Ken in the base roster. :)
4. Cloud was a shocker. Cloud was the second and last DLC character I got in the game. While I was still supporting Geno at the time, I was happy Cloud made it because I thought this could mean that Square is now likely to support Sakurai, Nintendo, and the future Smash games. Cloud also opened the door for Square characters to join, which means he also opened the door for Geno! During the final SSB4 presentation, we got the Geno Mii costume, which meant to me: "Holy ****, if Geno got in the game in any form, that means he's got to be bound to join in the next Smash game!" Gosh, I hope myself from 3-4 years ago is right.
5. Corrin was disappointing to me. Corrin was there just for promotion, and I'm thinking he was the only DLC character that didn't sell well because I saw almost everyone's reaction on the presentation and Corrin didn't really appeal to anyone. Promotional characters nobody asked for won't please anyone.
6. Bayonetta. My friend gave me insider info before the ballot started stating she was already in (he could've just been guessing or he actually had legitimate insider info). I wasn't surprised about her making it in, but I was more surprised that my friend was right about being DLC before it was announced. So I know she didn't win the ballot, but other than that, I think she was a great way to end the DLC. I was tired of broken Bayonetta, but thank goodness she got fixed in Ultimate. Now that she got fixed, I use her in Ultimate now.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Cheering for false info and claiming something is false info are massively different. I don't even keep up with him anymore. Just wait for someone else to say what Vergeben said and you can skip all of his dumb arguments. It saves me a lot of stress so I can only recommend it out of good intent.
Base game is also going to be different from DLC. As its been said before the moment a game hits DLC is when Verge becomes REALLY spotty. Even his first predication about the DLC turned out completely wrong with Joker making his grand appearance. Everyone is going to need to start from step 1 to build back up credibility for the DLC because it's obvious that things are being handled differently.

D

Deleted member

I only got two of the seven DLC characters.

1. Mewtwo was the one that surprised me most because I've wanted him to come back, and he was absent from Brawl. I did get Mewtwo for my game.
2. Lucas and Roy didn't surprise me, but all I can say is semi-clones aren't worth $4.
3. Ryu was a fantastic addition for DLC. I used to go to an arcade all the time and played the hell out of Street Fighter (I think it was SF2) there. But I wasn't caught in the Smash 4 hype, mostly because the game didn't please me. I did not get Ryu, but I'm happy I waited for the next Smash game because now I can play as him and Ken in the base roster. :)
4. Cloud was a shocker. Cloud was the second and last DLC character I got in the game. While I was still supporting Geno at the time, I was happy Cloud made it because I thought this could mean that Square is now likely to support Sakurai, Nintendo, and the future Smash games. Cloud also opened the door for Square characters to join, which means he also opened the door for Geno! During the final SSB4 presentation, we got the Geno Mii costume, which meant to me: "Holy ****, if Geno got in the game in any form, that means he's got to be bound to join in the next Smash game!" Gosh, I hope myself from 3-4 years ago is right.
5. Corrin was disappointing to me. Corrin was there just for promotion, and I'm thinking he was the only DLC character that didn't sell well because I saw almost everyone's reaction on the presentation and Corrin didn't really appeal to anyone. Promotional characters nobody asked for won't please anyone.
6. Bayonetta. My friend gave me insider info before the ballot started stating she was already in (he could've just been guessing or he actually had legitimate insider info). I wasn't surprised about her making it in, but I was more surprised that my friend was right about being DLC before it was announced. So I know she didn't win the ballot, but other than that, I think she was a great way to end the DLC. I was tired of broken Bayonetta, but thank goodness she got fixed in Ultimate. Now that she got fixed, I use her in Ultimate now.
Well, Lucas and Roy were worth the $4 for me :D

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Honestly Sakurai is the worst leaker. He ****ing announces newcomers in directs when we wanna avoid spoilers. Like come on. /s
I remember those days when we unlocked those characters in order to find out they're in the game.

Mewtwo from Melee was one for me.

Sonic and Snake would've surprised me in Brawl if I didn't see their trailers on the Smash Dojo, and if Snake wasn't teased in the Brawl E3 2006 trailer. Could you imagine it, though? No trailers for them, we only find out once we see or unlock them in the game. Finding out Snake had been hiding under that box the whole time on the Halberd and Sonic saving the day in Subspace? That would've made everyone **** their pants.

D

Deleted member

Base game is also going to be different from DLC. As its been said before the moment a game hits DLC is when Verge becomes REALLY spotty. Even his first predication about the DLC turned out completely wrong with Joker making his grand appearance. Everyone is going to need to start from step 1 to build back up credibility for the DLC because it's obvious that things are being handled differently.
Things are being handled differently, but that's because Vergeben tried anticipating when someone would be revealed. If we leave Joker out of the equation, Vergeben's track record still holds true. I still think we should expect at least one SE newcomer. Can't really prove whether he's right from here but he hasn't been wrong on the one thing he's actually good on, and that's guessing who is in. Not when, not how. Just who.

We'll agree to disagree if this doesn't change anything.

I remember those days when we unlocked those characters in order to find out they're in the game.

Mewtwo from Melee was one for me.

Sonic and Snake would've surprised me in Brawl if I didn't see their trailers on the Smash Dojo, and if Snake wasn't teased in the Brawl E3 2006 trailer. Could you imagine it, though? No trailers for them, we only find out once we see or unlock them in the game. Finding out Snake had been hiding under that box the whole time on the Halberd and Sonic saving the day in Subspace? That would've made everyone **** their pants.
Lol. I was not going on forums at the time Brawl was released, so I would have lost it if I found out for myself Sonic was in by just unlocking him. Like, my brother probably would have spoiled it before we unlocked him, but still. Holy moly. I'm personally happy with just knowing who is in the game now because I'm a busy boy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nearly every secret character for Smash has been spoiled for me, whether it was through Nintendo Power or Internet leaks. I've been conditioned to this sort of thing ever since I've been old enough to adapt to any controller.

Also, the slight problem with avoiding guest character spoilers for Brawl? Snake and Sonic are advertised on the back of the box, so you'd have to go out of your way to never look at it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mewtwo. No dobut. Then it's a tie between Roy and Lucas, and then a tie between Ryu and Cloud, then Corrin (who i wasn't excited for at all), and Bayo at the very bottom.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, Verg's only wrong information about Smash Ultimate's base game is Minecraft. But the fact we know leakbait comes out doesn't make that surprising. Besides that, it should be kept in mind that a lot of stuff doesn't make it into the base despite being talked about. The leakers may have legitimately heard that, but it never came to fruition. It does mean his record for Ultimate's base isn't perfect. He should not be ignored, but taking him with a grain of salt is the better approach.

That said, his DLC information has no current credibility. He might actually be right that they changed their plans of who to reveal first. How long ago did he hear about the SE reveal? Wasn't it a rather long time ago? Was it a few weeks before? Besides that, there's no way Verg himself is lying. However, it wouldn't surprise me if some people were intentionally giving him bad information(I am not referring to the leakbait). Let's be honest, his attitude can be super poor sometimes. He isn't liked by a lot of people. It's not hard to believe he got trolled. Which would be sad if true, since even after he's tried to seriously be better about the information he releases, people still have nothing better to do than treat him like trash. Not that his responses help either, but I am not surprised he's super frustrated when people refuse to treat him like a human being. Can't honestly blame him for treating them just like how he's treated. Maybe people should actually be respect to one another(and the funny thing is, everything that Verg said that was bad was only because somebody else said something bad to him first. He still deserves some blame, but they are clearly at fault for their behavior and should not have harassed him as is).

Piks

Smash Journeyman
Lucas was initially nice because I'm a big MOTHER fan. Roy's redesign was also really fantastic to see.

After that, Ryu and Cloud were probably the most excited I've been for Smash announcements in a while. Both of those picks are legendary. I also am a fan of the Bayonetta games, and given that she's basically Nintendo's now, it made a lot of sense for her to get in.

In order:
Cloud
Ryu
Bayonetta
Lucas
Roy
Mewtwo
Corrin

(the returning characters are lower because they're returning characters, not newcomers)
And then there's Corrin. Was not excited for Corrin at all...

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
Convenient but when things get in isn't why he's reliable. Sticking by Incineroar against the grinch leak, guessing Isabelle, simon, Ridley, everyone is here. It's a solid resume despite him not having luck on dates. He still believes the SE rep is a thing so that would make him more credible if one got in imo, because he's been claiming it for a while. Moreso if we get Minecraft content. You don't just guess both of those before DLC is even announced. Even if it is technically backpedaling to DLC, he at least has an idea over the content.
Yeah I got to agree, I respect the Verge for his solid resume on the base roster. Can’t take that away from him.

Doctor Lucky

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the longer we go without any solid or official information regarding the Smash DLC roster nor the supposed Square Enix rep, the better I feel the chances are for Geno.

Treading old ground here, but I do recall Square Enix showing interest in bringing back their older games to the Switch, and what better time to announce Geno as a Smash fighter than when you make an announcement for that? Especially when you haven't done any sort of announcement regarding it since 2017 as far as I know.

Granted, the silence could also mean that the idea has been scrapped or abandoned, but I can't see any reason for them to give up such a lucrative idea.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Well, Lucas and Roy were worth the $4 for me :D
My two mains, back in on the same day?! That was great. 4 was really meh for me up until that point. Pit nerfed, Lucas gone, no Geno or Isaac...I think I was maining Marth out of a lack of anyone else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My two mains, back in on the same day?! That was great. 4 was really meh for me up until that point.
That was definitely the highlight of Smash 4 for me.

I was so sad they cut Lucas from the base game. He was my second favorite character in Brawl. I was overjoyed when they added him back as DLC. I like Roy too, and I was happy they added him back as DLC

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Honestly, the only DLC I got for Smash 4 in terms of characters was Mewtwo. Lucas and Roy were hype to have coming back, and the three newcomers were nice beans (even if I ain't big on Cloud), but Mewtwo. He was a must-have. He was my main in Melee and, if not for K. Rool, he'd be my main in Ultimate. He was definitely my main again in Sm4sh, though, alternating with Sonic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, the only DLC I got for Smash 4 in terms of characters was Mewtwo. Lucas and Roy were hype to have coming back, and the three newcomers were nice beans (even if I ain't big on Cloud), but Mewtwo. He was a must-have. He was my main in Melee and, if not for K. Rool, he'd be my main in Ultimate. He was definitely my main again in Sm4sh, though, alternating with Sonic.
I liked when they brought back Mewtwo as DLC as well. He's extremely fun to play as.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Ahaha I just fought someone online with a Geno pfp (like me) and we silently agreed not to fight lol.

Anyway, have you guys ever made your own dream rosters? If you'd like, rate mine: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qlVVKQr_LzJ-YOtwiUDBFlqlVX8Bzik6B7cetKU4B9Y/edit

(I hope you can see it).

And yes I don't have roster making software, so I had to make my roster using Google Docs, making me tonight's biggest loser :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom