• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think it's not that great to be so looking for one particular character, because think about it, if we expect geno and then he doesnt come, how disappointing it'll be. And same with Erdrick, maybe it's actually good that the height throws doubt about the character, because so many people might be set on it and then get disappointed.

I think it's great to root for a character, but truth is we dont know, and vague hints are still open to interpretation and all that.
I'm not too antsy for a reveal like some people are, cuz we actually have the game now, but now I am pretty darn curious about who it is. Hopefully wont take tooo long :)
No one's expecting it to be Geno though

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Yes, he's very shrewd and he only ever pulls the trigger when he believes all his info is right without a shadow of a doubt.
Just as I suspected from the get-go. Thanks.

So, I guess I can take that as a yes then, eh?
I refuse to get immediately hyped by the lack of response to this. But you are slightly getting my curiosity Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . Have you actually heard about the lawyer getting in? The lack of response suggests you either have, but it's too early to decipher its certainty, or that you know someone else trustworthy who has and aren't at liberty to say who.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No one's expecting it to be Geno though
The height thing was looked at again and all that. I saw a few people getting excited for the idea of geno.
Excitement and hope is good though. I just think some people jump to anticipation quickly.

D

Deleted member

The height thing was looked at again and all that. I saw a few people getting excited for the idea of geno.
Excitement and hope is good though. I just think some people jump to anticipation quickly.
I brought the height thing up because it relates to the brave character, and we were getting excited in the way of Geno being more of a possibility, rather than definitely thinking it is him

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I brought the height thing up because it relates to the brave character, and we were getting excited in the way of Geno being more of a possibility, rather than definitely thinking it is him
Honestly, with what we've seen, the height values alone don't really pin-point a character's height to the extent we think it might. Could be anyone, given the right parameters of the whole equation.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, with what we've seen, the height values alone don't really pin-point a character's height to the extent we think it might. Could be anyone, given the right parameters of the whole equation.
PolarPanda explained in the Square Enix thread though that if you can't imagine a character being a smidge shorter than Mario and as tall as Ness and Lucas, it is most likely not that character

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I get it. Some people have trouble not setting themselves up for disappointment though. That's all I wanted to say. Sometimes it's hard to know how people feel though, everyone takes things differently.

At this point I dont know who to expect. I'd like to enjoy waiting for the reveal if I can, anyway. I might still be disappointed, too, but I'd rather not be if I can help it :p

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
PolarPanda explained in the Square Enix thread though that if you can't imagine a character being a smidge shorter than Mario and as tall as Ness and Lucas, it is most likely not that character
Nothing certain on that though. And given how plugging in the height statuses for Ridley and Pichu did jack squat to their sizes, there's room for doubt on that take.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Imagine people getting excited about the height and stats of Brave seeming to match up with Geno on the Geno support thread.

D

Deleted member

Nothing certain on that though. And given how plugging in the height statuses for Ridley and Pichu did jack squat to their sizes, there's room for doubt on that take.
He explains in depth why it matters though. Would you like me to quote his posts from the SE thread?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Just as I suspected from the get-go. Thanks.

I refuse to get immediately hyped by the lack of response to this. But you are slightly getting my curiosity Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . Have you actually heard about the lawyer getting in? The lack of response suggests you either have, but it's too early to decipher its certainty, or that you know someone else trustworthy who has and aren't at liberty to say who.
I'm just going to point out; it's a bit hypocritical to blame me for reading into things too much when you seem to be literally doing the same thing with Phoenix Wright here.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Imagine people getting excited about the height and stats of Brave seeming to match up with Geno on the Geno support thread.
I think Teeb147 Teeb147 's point is that there are levels of hype that are above a reasonable level. I mean I can look at the stats and code name and say they actually kinda fit Ravio but to think anything more than "huh that'd be cool" is just setting yourself up for disappointment at this stage.

D

Deleted member

Sure, for clarification sake, I'd appreciate that.
Alright! Here are his posts:

I'm gonna be really critical of Mizumi right now, but I don't really want to sound rude. I think he is causing confusion by saying the height stat doesn't matter, because it certainly does. If you line up characters by their height stat, they go in order of tallest to shortest. Isabelle is the only character who is actually barely taller than her height stat. Captain falcon is size 18, and luigi is size 15, actually. I don't know where he is getting these fake values, but it's misinforming a lot of people. Height has always been a perfect way to gauge a character's size, lol.
I don't think it's a very good argument. Yes it affects the models, but it's always pretty consistent. A character at size 13 is going to be even with another character at size 13, and really at any other size. The only exception really is Isabelle, and she's only barely taller than size 12. Basically, yes it impacts models, but that's the point. It consistently affects models. If Brave is size 13, expect them to be about as tall as Ness or Lucas.

I understand what he's trying to get at, but in a way it's a sort-of non-point because height does tell us how tall the model is going to be. If you can't imagine a character being as short as Ness or Lucas, and shorter than Mario slightly, then it's probably not them.
Alright, so what we learned about height today just makes me even more confident in its importance. Think about it like this:
height seems to reflect how tall a character is in some way. Falcon is 18 and peach is 17, and falcon is slightly taller. Mario is 14 and ness is 13, and mario is slightly taller. Luigi and cloud are both 15, and they are even in almost all positions. If you line the characters up by height, they go from tallest to shortest or vice versa almost perfectly.

Since height does not directly enlarge or compress a model, my guess is that it is used in some sort of calc or is referenced somewhere else in the game's code. It clearly reflects a character's height accurately, so it serves some sort of purpose. This is even better for it being important because it goes to show that characters who are given their height stat DO intentionally meet their height. Before, those arguing against the height stat said that it affected the model so we wouldn't know until we see a model, but now we know it just straight up represents a character's height in general and is likely added there for use in some other calculations or function calls.

All in all, think of characters whose models you believe would be about as tall as Ness or Lucas', and just slightly shorter than Mario.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think Teeb147 Teeb147 's point is that there are levels of hype that are above a reasonable level. I mean I can look at the stats and code name and say they actually kinda fit Ravio but to think anything more than "huh that'd be cool" is just setting yourself up for disappointment at this stage.
Yeah, mostly :)
Like, say people were to be hype about a new character in general, they wouldn't get disappointed. It's just when you set yourself to a specific character that you're.. well i think you get it.

Supporting a character can be exciting too, in its own way.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
From what I've seen PolarPanda's source is impeccable, especially when he gets info from his supervisors. So far he hasn't been wrong about anything he's definitively stood behind. For example, I feel like that's why he was confident yesterday morning but iffy by last night because he got conflicting info or decided everything compiled was too vague to make an unabashed conclusion. Based on what I've seen, his sources don't seem to have incentive to lie to him either and his supervisors seem to respect and care about him enough to not blatantly lie to him (for example, they let him down easy on a particular character way back in August).
well damn, now im wondering who that character was.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm just going to point out; it's a bit hypocritical to blame me for reading into things too much when you seem to be literally doing the same thing with Phoenix Wright here.
I'm doing nothing of the sort. I critique you for diving right into things absolutely certain, reading too much into them. I literally started off by saying that I'm not going to get hyped into thinking such. I simply asked Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if he'd heard about Phoenix Wright getting in, and I mentioned how his lack of response was odd and reasoned why. But I'm staking a claim in it and suggesting he's actually in.

Could honestly be nothing, and unlike you, I'm willing to admit such from the get-go.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
well damn, now im wondering who that character was.
I am curios if that was Sora, since part of the story many pages ago the "rumor" was Sora was denied right away. I admit I would not be too surprised if the case since Disney owns Sora and they are VERY stingy with their property. (Wife works at Costco Travel and working with Disney and their VACATION packages is very tough, tedious and exhausting.)

Regard the height stat, I am surprised people are arguing against its importance. It is significant and does help point to who it can be. To me, adult Eddy is out, but, it is possible for Kid Eddy. It also makes it possible for Geno since he would fit the height nicely.

"Brave's" stats are what's very interesting as Fatman brought up in which he sounds more like a zoner. Hmmm....

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Alright! Here are his posts:
Thanks. Hmm, I've seen these posts of his before.

While yes, there is a possibility of the height being their intial input, there's also the factor of which other parameters within the equation could've offset it.
And we've no way of knowing for certain the character based off an intial height. For all we know, it could've been someone as tall as Sephiroth who they put in for that height and had to scale up later, Sora, etc.

Ovaltine

Smash Master

While yes, there is a possibility of the height being their intial input, there's also the factor of which other parameters within the equation could've offset it.
And we've no way of knowing for certain the character based off an intial height. For all we know, it could've been someone as tall as Sephiroth who they put in for that height and had to scale up later, Sora, etc.
It's a pretty easy conclusion, really, with that Square list...

It's Sorphirenodrick Cronominary McSlime.

The third, esq.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Phoenix Wright? There's literally nothing right now of any real substance in the playing field aside from a Dragon Quest character (implied to be Erdrick with a female ALT by most) and whispers on the wind about Lloyd and Yuri. Like I've been saying, if Brave is Erdrick, there are absolutely no clues to go off right now for anyone else. Even PolarPanda's sources have collectively shrugged their shoulders, which is why the Dragon Quest situation is so weird. Not only does everyone and their grandma know about it but no one is bothering to keep it a secret either. There was like one guy who openly blabbed about Pirhana Plant on 4chan who later admitted it was him. People like Vergeben knew but didn't say anything in fear of it being leakbait. Nobody knew about Joker. Meanwhile, everyone has been talking about Dragon Quest for almost 7 months now.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
Apparently Joker's height in the datamine was 15? Same as Luigi? If that's true, it sounds a bit weird. Joker is pretty tall as far as I know.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Not only does everyone and their grandma know about it but no one is bothering to keep it a secret either.
That is a good point. Normally leakers make a big stink about being secretive for the sake of job security. Caution seems a little too thrown to the wind here. Even with Incineroar, leakers only really came to his defense waaay later down the line compared to Verge.
whispers on the wind about Lloyd and Yuri.
Oh? Do tell.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Wait, so no Geno possibility at all?
Not quite a matter of 'no possibility'. It's more like Erdrick and a Tales rep were names floating around. IIRC, Geno was a name floating around NoA once, too, but it was literally only a short-lived rumor that's since not been spoken of. Names are just flying all over the place.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's basically it. A number of inside people were hearing about one Tales character or another in October and November but there hasn't been any new developments since. One big thing that gives this credence is that the Tales team played a big role in developing Smash Ultimate but that's more or less it. Everything else is conjecture like how both Lloyd's English and Japanese voice actors flat out ignore questions about it and how Konami, Capcom, and SEGA now all have three reps, leaving Square Enix and Namco seemingly underrepped.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Apparently Joker's height in the datamine was 15? Same as Luigi? If that's true, it sounds a bit weird. Joker is pretty tall as far as I know.
Luigi is actually really similar in height to a lot of the realistic-proportion characters. Everyone thinks the realistic characters are leagues taller than everyone else, but it's really not such a big difference.

D

Deleted member

That's basically it. A number of inside people were hearing about one Tales character or another in October and November but there hasn't been any new developments since. One big thing that gives this credence is that the Tales team played a big role in developing Smash Ultimate but that's more or less it. Everything else is conjecture like how both Lloyd's English and Japanese voice actors flat out ignore questions about it and how Konami, Capcom, and SEGA now all have three reps, leaving Square Enix and Namco seemingly underrepped.
Wait, his voice actors ignored questions about it?

That alone makes him really likely imo

coolcat12347 coolcat12347 that's alright :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah, mostly :)
Like, say people were to be hype about a new character in general, they wouldn't get disappointed. It's just when you set yourself to a specific character that you're.. well i think you get it.

Supporting a character can be exciting too, in its own way.
Yeah that’s just a really strange point to bring up in a support thread for a specific character. Everyone is excited about the prospect of some specific character being one of the DLC. And sure people are inevitably going to be disappointed in some way. But I don’t see the point of thought policing people over being hype about something. Let people be hopeful about specific characters in character support thread. That’s literally the point of the thread.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman

There’s a labeled fighter parameter called “scale,” which may be that scalar we’re looking for. Brave’s is 0.96.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
No one is 100% behind erdrick who actually has insider info. It's all been a mess of things and the amount of "its probably erdrick" makes me think its NOT erdrick, just beause of how ****ty squeenix is about leaks.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
No one is 100% behind erdrick who actually has insider info. It's all been a mess of things and the amount of "its probably erdrick" makes me think its NOT erdrick, just beause of how ****ty squeenix is about leaks.
I'd say Tansut being 100% on Erdrick is a pretty big deal, though, honestly. That being said, even with that, nothing is certain. It's a huge wait and see game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wait, his voice actors ignored questions about it?

That alone makes him really likely imo
Or they're both just burned out on it. Supposedly the English voice actor was really talkative about Smash during Smash 4's development and DLC cycle which is why a number of people have pointed it out.

Wait, so no Geno possibility at all?
Alright, I think it's okay to share this story but I have to be vague about some details for obvious reasons. PolarPanda's source was told by a supervisor as early as August to curb his expectations about a certain character. Despite being a huge fan of the character, he took it to heart but still got really depressed when he learned about the contents of the last Smash Direct, either on October 30th or Halloween. Seeing how bummed out he was, the supervisor pulled him aside and told him that despite the one character not making it, there had been rumors circling around their office and elsewhere about Geno so to not give up hope about Geno entirely. This said, if this account is true, I don't think the supervisor was lying. Their information may possibly be wrong in the end but I don't think they said what they said to salvage someone's feelings, especially since it's heavily implied they were the one that basically discomfirmed their favorite character months in advance. That said, if they're ultimately wrong, it wasn't malevolent, just repeating what they had heard.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Alright, I think it's okay to share this story but I have to be vague about some details for obvious reasons. PolarPanda's source was told by a supervisor as early as August to curb his expectations about a certain character. Despite being a huge fan of the character, he took it to heart but still got really depressed when he learned about the contents of the last Smash Direct, either on October 30th or Halloween. Seeing how bummed out he was, the supervisor pulled him aside and told him that despite the one character not making it, there had been rumors circling around their office and elsewhere about Geno so to not give up hope about Geno entirely. This said, if this account is true, I don't think the supervisor was lying. Their information may possibly be wrong in the end but I don't think they said what they said to salvage someone's feelings, especially since it's heavily implied they were the one that basically discomfirmed their favorite character months in advance. That said, if they're ultimately wrong, it wasn't malevolent, just repeating what they had heard.
If it's okay to tell this much, is the certain character you're referring to Geno, or is it another character that also happened to be in the Grinch leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom