• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Guys im not sure if this has been discussed but this theme is from SMRPG also and i think Mario Bros. 3. My question is - is this theme in any of the past Smash games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=19&v=liuwszyDhXM
It was mentioned early on but most people brushed it off as Mario 3

This Bowser theme was never in a Smash Bros game. It is a brand new song. I think it could be a part of a Bowser theme medley which would be super neat

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'm agreeing with

I don't think they would give a definitive number unless that number was final
I think that's it for returning stages because there's no excuse not to show them all but I think there will be some more original stages that have been kept hidden to not spoil newcomers like a Sun and Moon stage and RH stage. Unfortunately though I don't think Geno will get a stage, Mario RPG music will probably just be added for use in any Mario stage.

Kero!

Smash Cadet
I just saw an argument saying "Geno shouldn't be in Smash because his design wouldn't look good in modern graphics" and that his spot should be "used for someone else"

Haven't heard that one before!

We got a Mii Costume for him and even though we couldn't see his face, it looked fine. And I feel we shouldn't underestimate Sakurai and his team.
Smash Switch (from what I've seen) also has better character models if that's how I'm supposed to put it.
They're also free to redesign him all that they want, but I feel they wouldn't do that. If he "won't look good in modern graphics", i'd question
why he looks so good in the Smashified fanmade model. Just imagine an official one.

What better character to have in Smash than Geno, though?

And on the stage number thing, as much as I'd like a new stage, I'm honestly not sure what'll happen. We'll have to wait I guess.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I just saw an argument saying "Geno shouldn't be in Smash because his design wouldn't look good in modern graphics" and that his spot should be "used for someone else"

Haven't heard that one before!

We got a Mii Costume for him and even though we couldn't see his face, it looked fine. And I feel we shouldn't underestimate Sakurai and his team.
Smash Switch (from what I've seen) also has better character models if that's how I'm supposed to put it.
They're also free to redesign him all that they want, but I feel they wouldn't do that. If he "won't look good in modern graphics", i'd question
why he looks so good in the Smashified fanmade model. Just imagine an official one.

What better character to have in Smash than Geno, though?

And on the stage number thing, as much as I'd like a new stage, I'm honestly not sure what'll happen. We'll have to wait I guess.
The actual model for Geno will look way better than the mii costume. It'll probably have realistic wood textures.

Kero!

Smash Cadet
The actual model for Geno will look way better than the mii costume. It'll probably have realistic wood textures.
Yep!
Mii costumes don't directly show off the character in their "true beauty" so I'm honestly not sure what that person meant by "he wouldn't look good."
All we have of him is a Mii costume anyway, and it's not like they're taking his old model from 20+ years ago and putting that exact thing into smash.

I don't want to seem rude, but some of these arguments are just like....

I feel a lot of the arguments against him aren't very... logical?
From what I've seen (which is a lot) they all are based on the same thing:
He's too old
Has one game
Doesn't have a character personality
Doesn't have a move set
Has chances like Waluigi/Ashley

Edit:
I've also seen someone say he has less of a chance than Goku

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Yep!
Mii costumes don't directly show off the character in their "true beauty" so I'm honestly not sure what that person meant by "he wouldn't look good."
All we have of him is a Mii costume anyway, and it's not like they're taking his old model from 20+ years ago and putting that exact thing into smash.
Just look at how much more detailed K. Rool's new model is compared to his mii costume, it's amazing!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, Geno's glowup from Costume to Character is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most if he gets confirmed, especially considering what K. Rool got. Woof... here's hoping we get a redesign that spot-on.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I love the Smashified Geno and it will feel bitter sweet putting it behind the actual thing if he gets in. It beautifully captures everything about the character.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
It's unfortunate that the Ultimate version cuts off right before the point where the SMRPG version has that unique section...but that would be far too telling if they did that. As is, it seems very odd that they suddenly decided to remix that one Bowser theme in particular after almost half a dozen games and hundreds of tracks. And while it's true it could just be part of a Bowser theme medley, the question is, why choose to make such a medley, unless there were an appropriate stage it might fit with?

It could all be coincidence, but I'm not so sure. Seems very convenient...

I sure hope not, because fan polls really should not be used as an indication of popularity. They make up a very small, biased portion of the overall Smash community. But I digress.
To be fair, the Smashboards community alone is rather diverse, especially around the time a Smash game comes out. People of all skill levels and biases tend to flock here to speculate. As such, I tend to believe even this site alone can provide a fairly accurate sample of character popularity. The current trend of reveals--obviously based on Sakurai's ballot--and even their order, should serve as evidence of that. It matches the support thread popularity almost exactly.

As for online polls like the one that keeps being mentioned, I'd say they're in a similar situation. Anyone who takes an online poll about characters they want to see in a game obviously has an opinion on which ones they want, and thus contribute to the overall understanding of current "popularity." While they may only be a small fraction of everyone who plays Smash, they are also the only ones talking about characters. It doesn't matter if the Casual Smasher A would like to see Goku get in if he isn't letting anyone know about it. Sakurai isn't seeing this information, so it's irrelevant. All you can count is the vocal ones, who get online, write Nintendo, bother them one social media, etc. And I'd think that if these people have gone to the trouble to voice these opinions elsewhere, if they cared enough to do it, that they'd likely put their vote in to any polls they come across. And the thing about the internet is, people LOVE sharing their opinions (like this rant right here, lol.)

I'm not saying it's 100% definitely correct...but I wouldn't dismiss it just because it's not a sample of every Smash player out there. It's valid data to be considered. Not taken as gospel, mind you, but considered. I mean, it's not like we know how Sakurai gets his popularity information--maybe he actually looks at such polls. If I were a him, trying to figure out who's big with the fans, that's where I would start. How else would you do it? Read every tweet and YouTube comment on the internet?

Anyway, that's my two cents on that. Sorry to derail the excellent Geno conversation, guys!

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Our thread seems to have really grown since the Smash Direct! Just more and more supporters coming through the woodwork!
I keep seeing new people who want him in. Gives me hope. Like there are more of us put there then I thought. And that our presense on the ballot was far bigger then I had thought.

I feel like our time is nearing. And our wish will come true.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Hello there Geno Fans, just an Isaac Fan here to show my support for Geno in smash. I am a huge fan of Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and I think it is a damn shame that Geno has not gotten in smash after all these years. So I want to show my support here and hope for the best for our Star Puppet!

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't know, I feel like Geno needs a stage.
So far, I think that the only stage that fits him is the Mario Galaxy one, but that may not be enough for a full trailer. Unless they use random starfox stages (because space/stars) or stages with a wood theme (such as Donkey Kong's and Animal Crossing's), but that would be a stretch.

I think that if Geno is in Smash, a Forest Maze or Star Hill stage is possible to be revealed....

EDIT: there's also Peach's Castle from Melee that kinda fits too, so I don't know...

Last edited:

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
As a fellow Geno Fan, he is my second most wanted character for Smash and he would fit right in. So I want to show my undying support for Geno.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
As much as I do hate to give credence to the stage matter. Even if the truth of the matter is that we’ve seen all the stages in the game, Geno still has a serious chance cause he can just take another Mario stage as a home stage. I’d say it’s probably most likely we’d see him end up on Mario Galaxy to fit the whole star asthetic.

I’d much prefer a proper Super Mario RPG stage, but at least he has a chance without a stage... unlike our golden boy...

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
The time is right. 90s nostalgia in gaming is at its peak - if only we could get another proper super mario RPG!

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
As much as I do hate to give credence to the stage matter. Even if the truth of the matter is that we’ve seen all the stages in the game, Geno still has a serious chance cause he can just take another Mario stage as a home stage. I’d say it’s probably most likely we’d see him end up on Mario Galaxy to fit the whole star asthetic.

I’d much prefer a proper Super Mario RPG stage, but at least he has a chance without a stage... unlike our golden boy...
We can only believe, but I think the Galaxy Stages would fit Geno so wholesomely. :D

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I personally don't think the stage list is final. I believe we'll get a couple more stages for newcomers only, but no more returning stages or stages for echoes. Square definitely wouldn't be an issue in this instance, considering they allowed a Midgar stage with multiple summons.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Sakurai loves to surprise us. Geno will be in with Forest Maze and Mallow Assist Trophy.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
On the stage select screen it looked like there was room for about 6 or 7 more. Seems weird to me that they'd design it in a way that left a large empty space at the bottom.

So I think there's more to be revealed.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Imo what made the Ice Climbers work is that they were equals that couldn't do much apart. For the others like Rosalina and Luma or Olimar and the Pikmin, it's a character utilizing a minion. I don't think Pokemon Trainer was a good concept, and am glad it's gone.

Geno and Mallow are completely capable characters by themselves, so just from that standpoint putting them together just feels forced.

It's also really wearing thin on what was once a unique concept in Smash.
This comment didn’t age well.

domriver

Smash Lord
It was mentioned early on but most people brushed it off as Mario 3

This Bowser theme was never in a Smash Bros game. It is a brand new song. I think it could be a part of a Bowser theme medley which would be super neat
Loving the new remix. I just had to point it out because the theme is used in SMRPG .

It's unfortunate that the Ultimate version cuts off right before the point where the SMRPG version has that unique section...but that would be far too telling if they did that. As is, it seems very odd that they suddenly decided to remix that one Bowser theme in particular after almost half a dozen games and hundreds of tracks. And while it's true it could just be part of a Bowser theme medley, the question is, why choose to make such a medley, unless there were an appropriate stage it might fit with?

It could all be coincidence, but I'm not so sure. Seems very convenient...
a little to convenient. Anyways if SMRPG is in and Bowser's Keep IS a stage - this song needs to be on there.

On the stage select screen it looked like there was room for about 6 or 7 more. Seems weird to me that they'd design it in a way that left a large empty space at the bottom.

So I think there's more to be revealed.
I kinda agree with PushDustin as far just because there is spaces remaining there is more coming (which most likely doesn't mean that). I do though believe that a couple of more stages are coming in. ( unsure about filling all the spaces though). He was specific about having 103 stages but when he talked about all the possible forms he said more than 300+ so. yeah. One of those slots better have Bowser's Keep AND Spiral Mountain. :cool:

Last edited:

Bootortle

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0259-0284-1711
Switch FC
SW-4554-3900-0616
I've never played SMRPG, but Geno looks cool and seems like he'd have potential, so I'm all for him
I've honestly got a good feeling he'll show up this time

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I, personally, subscribe to the theory that these are all the stages we're gonna be seeing, at least until DLC. Even ignoring that they specifically told us this was the stage total, which kind of implies it includes every stage in the game, why would they even go and give us a stage count if it's not a final number? Even if they were just doing it to emphasize how many stages there are in this game, they could have at least put a + or an * after the 103 number they gave us to indicate that this isn't the last we'll be seeing as far as stages. I dunno, it seemed pretty clear to me that they've shown us every stage already, and it just seems kind of pointless to me to give us such a precise number if it isn't final.
That said, I don't think this hurts Geno's chances in the slightest. If anything, it probably helps them by basically eliminating anyone from an unrepped franchise from the pool of potential newcomers.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
They probably have a newcomer tied to a new stage they aren't going to spoil. I think for sure that they would at least have one more surprise stage wise.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Just listened to the "Hello, Happy Kingdom" rearrangement from Fortune Street and it makes me excited to think of all the potential rearrangements we could get in this game.

domriver

Smash Lord
Just listened to the "Hello, Happy Kingdom" rearrangement from Fortune Street and it makes me excited to think of all the potential rearrangements we could get in this game.
Dark Samus theme and King K Rool theme - their arrangements are incredible. really nice themes they got going there. Can't wait for Geno's theme. :D

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here is a fun question, besides Geno or Mallow, who is your favorite SMRPG character, and do you hope they are somehow represented in Smash, be it as a trophy, background element, or assist trophy?

Last edited:

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
What leaks currently line up with what we have now? Old "reliable" ones, I mean.
The LoZ18 leak. he's the only person who got EVERYTHING right. He leaked the entire e3 presentation (such as how everybody would be back) and leaked the august direct and how it would reveal K. Rool.

He mentioned skull kid being playable, then said he had to quit posting on gamefaqs for some mysterious reason which made it seem like he said something he shouldn't have.

Mariobro_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mariobro_WiiU
3DS FC
1805-2375-5612
Switch FC
7913-4114-6709
Here is a fun question, besides Geno or Mallow, who is your favorite SMRPG character, and do you hope they are somehow represented in Smash, be it as a trophy, background element, or assist trophy?
it'd be fun to see Booster or Smithy or possibly the Axem Rangers (actually they'd make for a pretty good assist trophy!) show up as trophies though i wouldn't expect anything more than that from anything other than the main characters

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isaac might have been hinted at by Sakurai.

If Isaac is in the next direct, the thing Geno fans should look out for the most is if he comes with a Felix echo. That or a section about Mii Costumes.

I think Isaac's going to be in the next direct

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai posted a pic on his twitter that shows Link, Marth, and Shulk facing the Ratholos. Their stances are very reminiscent of Golden Sun battles. It could be a teaser which would be very cool.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Sakurai posted a pic on his twitter that shows Link, Marth, and Shulk facing the Ratholos. Their stances are very reminiscent of Golden Sun battles. It could be a teaser which would be very cool.
Oh, cool. Can we link Link, Marth, or Shulk to any specific character reference? I am not too familiar with Golden Sun, but I am still rooting for Issac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom