• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I completely agree, I was always hoping. But it never ended up happening. It's too bad, but eh, what can you do? It's still one of my favourite moments of the game.
Maybe if they made a SMRPG 2, he could make a sort of come back if they wanted to have returning character, but not the same party layout. Honestly, if a SMRPG 2 ever did happen, Mario and Geno are the only 2 party members I see being playable and the rest of the party would be different. Mario because it is Super MARIO RPG, and Geno because he has become such an icon for the series. You know, that's a good question. If there were to be a SMRPG 2, what characters would you want to be party members?

Last edited:

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if they made a SMRPG 2, he could make a sort of come back if they wanted to have returning character, but not the same party layout. Honestly, if a SMRPG 2 ever did happen, Mario and Geno are the only 2 party members I see being playable and the rest of the party would be different. Mario because it is Super MARIO RPG, and Geno because he has become such an icon for the series. You know, that's a good question. If there were to be a SMRPG 2, what characters would you want to be party members?
Croco for sure. He kinda turned into a nice dude at the end of the game.

Kero!

Smash Cadet
Well, definitely Geno! I'd also like to hear more of his backstory too, that'd be great.
I do feel if we didn't have Mallow though, it wouldn't be the same charm as it was before. Maybe if he was buffed we could see him be used more?
On Peach and Bowser, I'm not too sure.
What would the plot be to cause them to join? Cause Geno, Mallow?
Hopefully not too similar to last time!

I'd also like to see original toad designs :')

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just had a thought, do you think Geno and Starlow know each other? I can totally see that, as I always kinda thought Geno was something like her rather than a Luma. A star spirit, but of a different variety.

Last edited:

Kero!

Smash Cadet
I just had a thought, do you think Geno and Starlow know each other? I can totally see that, as I always kinda thought Geno was something like her rather than a Luma. A star spirit, but of a different variety.
Maybe...? I personally don't see it but definitely a different variety, considering how different their names are!! I'd like to see if all of the "Star" like beings throughout the games relate to each other any way? LIke, where exactly do they live relative to other Stars? Do they have communications to each other? Do they live in different universes? Stuff like that I guess.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe...? I personally don't see it but definitely a different variety, considering how different their names are!! I'd like to see if all of the "Star" like beings throughout the games relate to each other any way? LIke, where exactly do they live relative to other Stars? Do they have communications to each other? Do they live in different universes? Stuff like that I guess.
You do have to remember, although Geno's name of ♥♪!? is very iconic, in Japanese his name was apparently made up of made up symbols rather than what we have in English, so I always just though he was much, much older than we thought. He does seem suitably wise, while Starlow is very Peppy. But really, there is so many variety of Star creature, it;s hard to keep track. Star spirits, star sprites, the Luma's, and whatever Geno is, it is all very confusing.

Kero!

Smash Cadet
You do have to remember, although Geno's name of ♥♪!? is very iconic, in Japanese his name was apparently made up of made up symbols rather than what we have in English, so I always just though he was much, much older than we thought. He does seem suitably wise, while Starlow is very Peppy. But really, there is so many variety of Star creature, it;s hard to keep track. Star spirits, star sprites, the Luma's, and whatever Geno is, it is all very confusing.
Oops, forgot about that!! My bad. Who knows-- maybe we'll find out more some day. We can only hope that we'll see everyone (okay, maybe not EVERYONE)
again. I suppose that's up to Square/Nintendo to decide though, huh?

Kero!

Smash Cadet
You guys see Golden Sun Battles. I see this.
Ha, I see it too! First thing I pointed out to friends about it

Of course, the angles may be swapped, but I'm willing to believe anything at the moment

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Is anybody finding the wait (and uncertainty) a bit unbearable? We JUST had a Direct, so it'll probably be awhile before we know the next character which isn't guaranteed to even be Geno. Gonna be tough to wait 4 more months at the most.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Is anybody finding the wait (and uncertainty) a bit unbearable? We JUST had a Direct, so it'll probably be awhile before we know the next character which isn't guaranteed to even be Geno. Gonna be tough to wait 4 more months at the most.
It'll be less than 4 months (for the base roster) since Sakurai already promised to show off the design of every fighter before launch.

But yes, this wait is unbearable. No matter how many good things Geno has in his favor, I never count my chickens before they hatch. It's the only thing that could dampen the "Minnesota Miracle" for me (I'm a Saints fan T_T) while other fans were off shooting fireworks in the street and missing the game-sealing play.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Honestly though it doesn't perfectly match Geno. It looks like the cape has yellow trim around it and is flat at the bottom.

Unless it's a redesign of Geno, does anyone have a idea of a character that describes?

Or find some fan art of Geno that matches that description

LiquidBoxcutter

Smash Cadet
NNID
young-grandma
I think there will be 2 more directs, one in October which would probably be a general Nintendo Direct, and one a week before the game comes out.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
Heck, the picture could be a reference to both Golden Sun and Mario RPG as a general JRPG reference. I have this funny feeling that Geno will be the biggest surprise last since Sakurai did love the idea of Geno being in Smash. At least in one of his interviews, I say don't give up just yet. As much as I am a Golden Sun Fanatic, I am also a huge Mario RPG Fan and Geno.

One of the people in the Isaac for Smash Thread mentioned that it would be neat to see Isaac, Skull Kid and Geno in one trailer, mentioning that it would be like a Sun, Moon and Stars reference. The Sun being Isaac, The Moon being Skull Kid and The Stars being Geno. I really felt like that would stick well as a trailer.

Still, for the longest time Geno, Isaac and Skull Kid have been requested for almost more than a decade next to Ridley and K.Rool. So who knows, maybe Geno's hint is next.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, what events are from here to December? You know, occasions were they can announce stuff? All that is coming to my mind is Gamescom and the Nindies direct(There is no date for it, but it typically happens around every 6 months).

LiquidBoxcutter

Smash Cadet
NNID
young-grandma
You know, what events are from here to December? You know, occasions were they can announce stuff? All that is coming to my mind is Gamescom and the Nindies direct(There is no date for it, but it typically happens around every 6 months).
TGS is mid September

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it referenced Mario RPG at all I'd expect they'd use Mario, Peach, and Bowser and have the reversed angle

domriver

Smash Lord
im all like
waiting for the next direct to be announced. lol

If it referenced Mario RPG at all I'd expect they'd use Mario, Peach, and Bowser and have the reversed angle
quiet you. xD :p

Klimax

Smash Ace
View attachment 157396
I'm not completely crazy - this legit looks like him.
Normally, i don't believe that kind of pictures, because i think that our brain can tricks us. But here, i'm 100% sure that this is Geno, it's just too obvious.
You have the blue hat, the yellow key on it is big and clearly visible, you can kinda see the orange ribbon. You see the blue cape and the brown of his wooden body.

As i said, i don't normally pay attention to that kind of image, but here, that's obviously Geno, THERE IS NO WAY that this is not him. And it does look like a new model !

During Smash 4 days, i was sure that he has 0 chance, but since i saw Ridley AND K Rool, i think he's very VERY likely.

Now that K Rool is in, i changed my avatar to shows even more love to that little guy haha ! Let's go Geno !

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
From what I have seen, if that screenshot is referencing anything, it's Golden Sun. But while that would be great news for Isaac, it doesn't affect Geno's chances. If anything it helps, further bolstering the fan favorites and Ballot picks for newcomers.

When I supported K. Rool, the Mii costume was at first a horrible revelation but later turned into a beacon of hope for Ultimate. I'm of a similar mind for Geno's costume. Hell, he even got a splash screen. So don't worry about there being no hints/references/leaks for Geno so far. Remember that K. Rool, while he was in tons of fake leaks, was not leaked or hinted at by anyone reputable at all.

Also, assuming it's still being updated, please add me to the support list.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From what I have seen, if that screenshot is referencing anything, it's Golden Sun. But while that would be great news for Isaac, it doesn't affect Geno's chances.

When I supported K. Rool, the Mii costume was at first a horrible revelation but later turned into a beacon of hope for Ultimate. I'm of a similar mind for Geno's costume. Hell, he even got a splash screen. So don't worry about there being no hints/references/leaks for Geno so far. Remember that K. Rool, while he was in tons of fake leaks, was not leaked or hinted at by anyone reputable at all.

Also, assuming it's still being updated, please add me to the support list.
The only way it could affect Geno's chances are if the ResetERA leak is somehow true, which we'd know when Isaac is revealed if he gets an echo in Felix. Then the only Square-Enix rep left would be Terra. Who I kinda doubt because the FF section in the "My Music" specifically said "FF7/ Final Fantasy 7"

It's essentially just waiting until then.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
One thing I have been curious is Geno's popularity in the smash community, he is up there with Ridley and K. Rool. Which seems really strange for a supporting character who was in a spinoff mario rpg game made by Square and never showed up in any future Mario games. I know Sakurai said he wanted Geno in Brawl, but I am pretty sure he didn't say that until around Smash 4's release and Geno's popularity in the Smash community was there before that. Basically I am wondering if there is anything that kick started his popularity as a character in Smash?

Kero!

Smash Cadet
Looking back at that image with Sakurai's stuff on the shelf, my friend got this idea:
You know his hat?
And that key symbol?
What if they took that key symbol and made it his icon, like how Mario has Mushroom, Link has Triforce, etc?
What do you guys think?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One thing I have been curious is Geno's popularity in the smash community, he is up there with Ridley and K. Rool. Which seems really strange for a supporting character who was in a spinoff mario rpg game made by Square and never showed up in any future Mario games. I know Sakurai said he wanted Geno in Brawl, but I am pretty sure he didn't say that until around Smash 4's release and Geno's popularity in the Smash community was there before that. Basically I am wondering if there is anything that kick started his popularity as a character in Smash?
The melee poll Sakurai held to determine what characters should get in Smash if he made another one. One of the popular characters he highlighted in it was Geno. This was a Japanese exclusive poll, meaning that Geno had support in Japan around melee.

Between then and the time Brawl was announced, that had been translated and fans of Mario RPG saw it and got super excited. The thread on this forum where it was translated has people super excited to see Geno one it.

Essentially, people saw that a character they liked from a game they liked actually stood a chance and the support grew from there.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I see us getting 2 more big smash related things, be them directa or parts of something else. One to show off the mystery mode, and one to show off online and all the single player modes. At this point I think we know basically everything about regular smash mode

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Heck, the picture could be a reference to both Golden Sun and Mario RPG as a general JRPG reference. I have this funny feeling that Geno will be the biggest surprise last since Sakurai did love the idea of Geno being in Smash. At least in one of his interviews, I say don't give up just yet. As much as I am a Golden Sun Fanatic, I am also a huge Mario RPG Fan and Geno.

One of the people in the Isaac for Smash Thread mentioned that it would be neat to see Isaac, Skull Kid and Geno in one trailer, mentioning that it would be like a Sun, Moon and Stars reference. The Sun being Isaac, The Moon being Skull Kid and The Stars being Geno. I really felt like that would stick well as a trailer.

Still, for the longest time Geno, Isaac and Skull Kid have been requested for almost more than a decade next to Ridley and K.Rool. So who knows, maybe Geno's hint is next.
this is such a good idea i hope sakurai thinks of it

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Normally, i don't believe that kind of pictures, because i think that our brain can tricks us. But here, i'm 100% sure that this is Geno, it's just too obvious.
You have the blue hat, the yellow key on it is big and clearly visible, you can kinda see the orange ribbon. You see the blue cape and the brown of his wooden body.

As i said, i don't normally pay attention to that kind of image, but here, that's obviously Geno, THERE IS NO WAY that this is not him. And it does look like a new model !
Erm...looking at it more closely, I'm starting to see a blue Yoshi in that image. A blue Yoshi holding something that sort of looks pike a pencil. There's a white spot that looks like his cheek, and I swear I can see the distinctive Yoshi logo over him, with the green-spotted egg as the "O". The part that we thought was Geno's body is the pencil...

I mean, I really, REALLY want it to be Geno. But it's looking more like a Yoshi each time I see it.

That said, it's not like this in any way affects my opinion of Geno's chances. He doesn't need a blurry image for me to think he's a lock, lol. There's already a ton pointing to his inclusion.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Erm...looking at it more closely, I'm starting to see a blue Yoshi in that image. A blue Yoshi holding something that sort of looks pike a pencil. There's a white spot that looks like his cheek, and I swear I can see the distinctive Yoshi logo over him, with the green-spotted egg as the "O". The part that we thought was Geno's body is the pencil...

I mean, I really, REALLY want it to be Geno. But it's looking more like a Yoshi each time I see it.

That said, it's not like this in any way affects my opinion of Geno's chances. He doesn't need a blurry image for me to think he's a lock, lol. There's already a ton pointing to his inclusion.
No one is quite sure what it is. People bring up certain things they see and I'm not sure how they reach that. There is always the possibility we'll NEVER know what the blurry image is

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411

I truly think it would be one of the coolest trailers out there, that given everyone would be cheering like not tomorrow. It would wreck the internet. Well, A man like me can only have hope.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace

I re-watched the video of the direct and yeah, it doesn't look like Geno anymore haha

But yeah, it doesn't change anything, i still think he's very likely. The MII costume, his popularity, the fact that i'm 100% convinced that Sakurai just took Cloud because Square said "take another character, then you can add Geno" (which would explain why there's only 2 Final Fantasy music, because Sakurai's focus is Geno since the beginning). This is just about when they're going to reveal him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom