• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiymako

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tiymako
3DS FC
3969-4335-6560
Switch FC
4983-0183-9411
I re-watched the video of the direct and yeah, it doesn't look like Geno anymore haha

But yeah, it doesn't change anything, i still think he's very likely. The MII costume, his popularity, the fact that i'm 100% convinced that Sakurai just took Cloud because Square said "take another character, then you can add Geno" (which would explain why there's only 2 Final Fantasy music, because Sakurai's focus is Geno since the beginning). This is just about when they're going to reveal him.
The dots still connect, but I don't see a reason why they wouldn't let the Smash Team use Geno in Smash. It would only boost Square Enix's popularity and Nintendo's even more. Maybe even binding a chance to see a Super Mario RPG 2 with Geno back in it.

domriver

Smash Lord
The dots still connect, but I don't see a reason why they wouldn't let the Smash Team use Geno in Smash. It would only boost Square Enix's popularity and Nintendo's even more. Maybe even binding a chance to see a Super Mario RPG 2 with Geno back in it.
This is what im waiting for ultimately. SMRPG 2. With High def ohh characters full blown. I said it before on one of my old posts - a SMRPG 2 would be a 5 million seller no doubt! Nintendo knows how to do such a thing.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
This is what im waiting for ultimately. SMRPG 2. With High def ohh characters full blown. I said it before on one of my old posts - a SMRPG 2 would be a 5 million seller no doubt! Nintendo knows how to do such a thing.
If they choose to bring back SMRPG then I wouldn't even mind if they keep ruining Paper Mario. As it stands, there's hardly any good (new) Mario RPG games. The series deserves a breath of fresh air. With Geno in Smash I could definitely see Square making a Switch remake or sequel down the line.

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Guys Geno doesnt need some superficial picture to help his chances unlike all other picks Sakurai went on record saying he wanted Geno since brawl and he was the only character to get a splash screen for his mii fighter costume. Guys let everyone else clamor about these random pictures and stuff in the background while we know that geno is in Sakurai's mind

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
These next 4 months are going to destroy me, but I guess since I’ve waited well over a decade, I can make it through these months

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I have faith in Sakurai. It is Square Enix who I just want confirmation from. Even a simple retweet of the Mario RPG tweet from a long time ago would have been huge.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I have faith in Sakurai. It is Square Enix who I just want confirmation from. Even a simple retweet of the Mario RPG tweet from a long time ago would have been huge.
I don’t know why you are so critical of Square Enix constantly. They let him in as a costume already and have been involved from the start this time. If Geno isn’t in , that’s on Sakurai.

The creator of the game who is on the record as supporting Geno’s inclusion has no excuses this time around for not getting him in. There is no way that Square Enix is going to be protective over a character they don’t give a **** about. He made it in as a costume. Square did their part. Now it is time for Sakurai to put up or shut up with these comments about wanting to include him every game. He clearly has the means to do it this time, especially with the direction the newcomers are taking. I have faith that’s going to happen this time around.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I don’t know why you are so critical of Square Enix constantly. They let him in as a costume already and have been involved from the start this time. If Geno isn’t in , that’s on Sakurai.

The creator of the game who is on the record as supporting Geno’s inclusion has no excuses this time around for not getting him in. There is no way that Square Enix is going to be protective over a character they don’t give a **** about. He made it in as a costume. Square did their part. Now it is time for Sakurai to put up or shut up with these comments about wanting to include him every game. He clearly has the means to do it this time, especially with the direction the newcomers are taking. I have faith that’s going to happen this time around.
In his defense, the fact that there's no more FF music and a lack of assist trophies can make it seem like SE is stingy.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
In his defense, the fact that there's no more FF music and a lack of assist trophies can make it seem like SE is stingy.
Sakurai is on the record as saying they were pretty lax about Cloud and gave him a lot of control. That shows a lot more than the music selection that may or may not even be final. We need to stop making excuses that Square is the problem now that they’ve shown that they are willing to work with Nintendo here. It’s on Sakurai to make it happen at this point

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Sakurai is on the record as saying they were pretty lax about Cloud and gave him a lot of control. That shows a lot more than the music selection that may or may not even be final. We need to stop making excuses that Square is the problem now that they’ve shown that they are willing to work with Nintendo here. It’s on Sakurai to make it happen at this point
I guess the reason why I am so hesitant as to think everything is cool with Geno is because I just don't know if Square Enix has other ideas in mind. Like what if they only wanted to see him as a costume or even an Assist Trophy but not a playable character.

I know I sound highly unfair, I guess the difference is that I know Sakurai has been on record the past few years regarding his desire to have Geno in the game. It would be a really bad look if he came out and said after all these years "I could have but I didn't." But still, I don't see him doing that when he is willing to go all the way back to his Melee notes and throw in Sukapon and Ditto as previously planned content.

TBone06

Smash Ace
My understanding with the music issue is that the composer (Nobou Uematsu) and Square ended on poor terms. I can see this being the issue behind getting the rights to the music, where the rights for the characters wouldn't be affected by that. Not entirely sure, but that could potentially explain it. Like you said, there is documentation saying Square wasn't an issue getting Cloud.

domriver

Smash Lord
These next 4 months are going to destroy me, but I guess since I’ve waited well over a decade, I can make it through these months
Should be less than 4 months. Sakurai said he will reveal ALL characters before launch. - Which i think is a good idea.

I think we are just being cautious about this. Not saying GENO is 100% in. We can 99.99% but there is this small .01% that ugh....im staying positive guys! :) GENO SHOOTS FOR THE STARS!!

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Square let Sakurai pick whoever the heck he wanted from Final Fantasy and were surprised he chose Cloud, but they let him.

They also already gave the go-ahead with Geno in Smash 4 with a costume. Why do you some of you guys think they’re being stingy now? Why do you think they’d withhold Geno after they allowed a costume in his likeness in the previous game? I don’t see the logic here.

If it’s the music, consider that perhaps the FF composer(s) is the stingy one, not the whole company. Gee whiz! Don’t lose hope!

Last edited:

gebi

Cloud Prince
oh my lord... i was starting to lose hope and was thinking i was just getting too excited. but you guys proved to me that he definitely has a shot and i'm not the only one praying for his inclusion.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wonder how the next rate their chances for Geno will go. And not the whole "I wonder how much his percentages are gonna increase," its more the fact that last time he was rated it became the most split and controversial rating days they had. I have no doubt his overall chances will raise, but how many people are gonna be begrudging in their higher rating of him?

domriver

Smash Lord
oh my lord... i was starting to lose hope and was thinking i was just getting too excited. but you guys proved to me that he definitely has a shot and i'm not the only one praying for his inclusion.
We all are very hopeful things are looking out to be good for Geno. Considering the statements/facts said/made by Sakurai.

gebi

Cloud Prince
I wonder how the next rate their chances for Geno will go. And not the whole "I wonder how much his percentages are gonna increase," its more the fact that last time he was rated it became the most split and controversial rating days they had. I have no doubt his overall chances will raise, but how many people are gonna be begrudging in their higher rating of him?
can you please link the old rating page for geno? i cant seem to find it. thanks :)

We all are very hopeful things are looking out to be good for Geno. Considering the statements/facts said/made by Sakurai.
Exactly! We will know in the next month or two i am certain.

gebi

Cloud Prince
I am hoping for Geno to make it. Right now, he's my only really wanted newcomer. I've already got most of the characters I wanted in Ultimate, I just want Geno to send us off.
Yes same! i have never actually properly wanted a character to be playable until now.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
I suppose there could be a general Nintendo Direct next month to preview the online service launching late September. Smash will obviously be a main selling point for this feature so I imagine they'll show off a character at the end of it like usual.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Here's a question, who did you all vote for during the Smash ballot? It's okay if you did not vote for Geno or something like that. I didn't even vote for him, I voted for Shantae. Geno's situation was very different back then than it is now. It is just nice to know other peoples idea's and opinions, and how they could relate to other avenues of speculation.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I voted for Geno on my phone and on my computer. I tried to do more each day but I wasn't sure if it was an IP related thing that keeps track.

I would sprinkle in a few Raymans and Wonder Reds to keep my options open.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Here's a question, who did you all vote for during the Smash ballot? It's okay if you did not vote for Geno or something like that. I didn't even vote for him, I voted for Shantae. Geno's situation was very different back then than it is now. It is just nice to know other peoples idea's and opinions, and how they could relate to other avenues of speculation.
I voted for Shantae. If there's another ballot, I'll vote for her again. (Given that she's a much, much longer shot than Geno is. She needs more of the support.)

I did, however, also go on other computers and vote for Dixie Kong, Geno and Ridley.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Geno mostly, Ridley, King K Rool, and Marina from Mischief Makers. i had access to lots of computers xD

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Geno as much as I could.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Geno and Paper Mario.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Bandana Dee. I was a much bigger supporter of him back then. I still am, just not as much.

I would absolutely vote for Geno this time, though.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't it be rad if Geno got in Smash, and Culex was a boss like Dracula / Rathalos for Spirits mode? Give me that Culex theme. Whew.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, if the reason we don't have more FF music is because of the composer rather the Square Enix(Which is likely the case considering how good Square has been on everything else relating to Smash), then we don't have to worry when it comes to us getting SMRPG music. SMRPG's composer is Yoko Shimomura, who has already on the music team for not only this game, but several of the past games. Heck, Vega Stage is a Ultimate track that she composed.

GenoStrike

Smash Journeyman
You know, if the reason we don't have more FF music is because of the composer rather the Square Enix(Which is likely the case considering how good Square has been on everything else relating to Smash), then we don't have to worry when it comes to us getting SMRPG music. SMRPG's composer is Yoko Shimomura, who has already on the music team for not only this game, but several of the past games. Heck, Vega Stage is a Ultimate track that she composed.
That lady is a legend.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just looked at the possible echo page and saw a few SMRPG based requests, which kinda surprised me. Namely Boshi for Yoshi and Booster for Wario. Do you think there is at all a possibility that someone from SMRPG might get the Richter treatment?

domriver

Smash Lord
I just looked at the possible echo page and saw a few SMRPG based requests, which kinda surprised me. Namely Boshi for Yoshi and Booster for Wario. Do you think there is at all a possibility that someone from SMRPG might get the Richter treatment?
Booster for Wario echo. Strange. He has Shy Guys hmmm could probably work.
maybe maybe.

As for Yoshi
Boshi can work for bein an echo for Yoshi.
Boshi seems like he would be heavier and hit harder than Yoshi and have a terrible up recovery to go with it. What you guys think?

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
I would love to see a Boshi costume, but I don’t think he warrants an Echo spot. I think a Mallow AT on top of Geno being playable would warrant enough representation assuming we had enough songs. I’d be happy with more, but I’d be perfectly happy with Geno, and Mallow would be the icing on the cake.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Yoshi Cookies weighing Boshi down would be my excuse for having a smaller jump than regular Yosh

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yeah we need Geno. I keep thinking about this, and we're really just down to Geno and Isaac in characters I really want

I would love to see a Boshi costume, but I don’t think he warrants an Echo spot. I think a Mallow AT on top of Geno being playable would warrant enough representation assuming we had enough songs. I’d be happy with more, but I’d be perfectly happy with Geno, and Mallow would be the icing on the cake.
Can we have a Mario RPG stage that isn't a mess? The worst part is, the Paper Mario stage would be fine if it wasn't for that awful third transition.

oh hi there lol.

TBone06

Smash Ace
Yeah we need Geno. I keep thinking about this, and we're really just down to Geno and Isaac in characters I really want

Can we have a Mario RPG stage that isn't a mess? The worst part is, the Paper Mario stage would be fine if it wasn't for that awful third transition.

oh hi there lol.
I’d love a stage too. Forest Maze or Bowser’s Keep. I could live without one if it meant he got in. Obviously it would be great if he got in and got a stage.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I’d love a stage too. Forest Maze or Bowser’s Keep. I could live without one if it meant he got in. Obviously it would be great if he got in and got a stage.
Bowser's Keep would finally give us a Bowser's Castle stage (that isn't an abomination), but if we wanted something similar, how about Smithy's Factory? (Or Smithy's Factory merged w/ Bowser's Keep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom