• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

lol, what a bold prediction. I'm fully prepared to take my Mii Gunner Geno DLC costume online once it releases to beat whatever stupid anime character gets in as DLC over him.
Yeah, I know. Wonderful predictions I have.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I still think Geno is a lock. I'm gonna be blissfully waiting for Geno to be announced until his gets disconfirmed entirely. Optimism never hurt me before.
I just find it interesting that he's not fully deconfirmed yet. We still have no clue if spirits deconfirm or not, and Sakurai could've told us already if they do or don't, but perhaps he wants to surprise us? Geno is basically there as a spirit to probably tell us, "Hold on, fans, he's coming! For now, use this spirit and give Mr. Sakurai some more time!"

If Geno is the first spirit to become an actual character, he will open the door for spirits to have a chance at DLC. All of his haters that have their most wanted as a spirit will be thanking him at the end of the day, it'll be great.
Also , can we all agree on the fact that Joker getting in is the proof that Sakurai still have some power on DLC?
Well, it is Sakurai's game after all, so yes, he should have the power for his DLC. How can you not have the power of choosing your own characters for your own game? It depends if he recommended or made some suggestions for wanting some characters as DLC, and we all know who he would've mentioned. I believe he chose off of a huge list Nintendo gave him to choose DLC characters on, but first, I'm absolutely sure he made some suggestions and gave them ideas before Nintendo made the list. Now, why do I think he made some suggestions? He's expressed his praise for Persona 5 and looked VERY happy about it being represented in his own game; Joker probably wasn't even Sakurai's decision, he probably just wanted ANY Persona character in Smash, and the one Nintendo happened to put on their list must've been Joker, and that's possibly why Joker was selected instead of another Persona character. But yes, all we know is Sakurai has the power to choose and veto characters on the list.

I said I was done speculating for a while, but it's time to speculate on something new.
If Nintendo DID choose a Microsoft rep like Steve, I'm sure Sakurai would've denied him for many reasons.
1. He can't work. Yes, he cannot crouch all the way down and his running animation doesn't work with Smash. The only way to fix this is to break his animation boundaries, and I don't think Microsoft would be up for that. Yes, we know Captain Falcon is a driver and his moveset is made up, but he works because his body isn't square; the dude is a human, he can crouch and run like one, Steve can't. They can't break Steve's running and crouching animation, otherwise it breaks Minecraft logic, in other words, a plot hole; this is why Pichu takes damage, because it's said in the Pokédex that it damages itself at a young age. "However, Pichu are unskilled at controlling their electricity, and sometimes release it by accident when surprised, or when laughing, and shock themselves. So yes, Sakurai follows logic, he doesn't break it. HE BREAKS LIMITS, correct, but not logic that leads to plot holes.
2. Minecraft isn't mainstream/popular like it is anymore, it's completely dying and Smash won't bring it back. The most popular game at the moment is... oh what, you think I'm going to say the game's name? I am NOT saying its evil name, but you know it starts with an F and ends with an E.
3. Steve's fanbase isn't big, it's about as small as Slime's fanbase. Steve wouldn't be mind-blowing, people would be booing and disliking his trailer. If Steve was announced at the game awards, people would NOT take Nintendo seriously anymore; the crowd would either be booing or not clapping, plus there will be chaos and lots of hate towards Sakurai and Nintendo. Sakurai always thinks ahead of situations like this, and he took the same risk again with Waluigi, I don't think he'll be up for hate again; he even knows he and Nintendo won't be taken seriously anymore.

If there were more than one Microsoft rep on that list, it's either going to be Banjo or the Master Chief. I'll take either one of them because they've been around longer and had more of an impact on gamers than Minecraft did. Despite me not playing a Banjo-Kazooie game ever, I would prefer Banjo getting in because he's been highly requested for ages now, much more requested than the Master Chief. Master Chief would be great for Smash! Snake is in it, and if he's in it, then the Master Chief can also work just like him. I've been playing Halo for years and I'd love to see him in the game, but I don't see him making it because Halo is only on Xbox, and I can't see it coming to the Switch. But hey, if he does get in, I really hope they go with his Halo 2 design. Yes, I know Persona 5 is only on PlayStation, but there's a rumor going around that Persona 5 R might come to the Switch.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Most likely? That's exactly what Sakurai tweeted.
If wording is even only slightly vague or off, people will misinterpret and read too much into it. The game of telephone doesn't help.

I just find it interesting that he's not fully deconfirmed yet. We still have no clue if spirits deconfirm or not, and Sakurai could've told us already if they do or don't, but perhaps he wants to surprise us? Geno is basically there as a spirit to probably tell us, "Hold on, fans, he's coming! For now, use this spirit and give Mr. Sakurai some more time!"

If Geno is the first spirit to become an actual character, he will open the door for spirits to have a chance at DLC. All of his haters that have their most wanted as a spirit will be thanking him at the end of the day, it'll be great.
Well of course, as I said elsewhere before, you don't show your hand at the start of the card game, it's counterintuitive. Then there's the people that try to cheat at the game by trying to peek into the opponent's hand, but that's besides the point.

Also, a Nintendo appearance of enough significance still matters. Persona Q2 barely got made in time to fit this condition, given the circumstances.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I feel pretty optimistic about Geno. I can take it if I'm wrong, but I think he's happening. Also he really needs to come with a Vista Hill stage so we have a place to dump all these awesome Bowser remixes.

Anyone going to MAGFest next week?
Magfest squad over here. I fully intend to do some work with R.O.B. over there when I get the chance. I planned to do some cosplay as well but it didn't pan out.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I feel pretty optimistic about Geno. I can take it if I'm wrong, but I think he's happening. Also he really needs to come with a Vista Hill stage so we have a place to dump all these awesome Bowser remixes.

Magfest squad over here. I fully intend to do some work with R.O.B. over there when I get the chance. I planned to do some cosplay as well but it didn't pan out.
That is actually the stage I do want if Geno does get in. I said something about Vista Hill back in November. Vista Hill is literally the most historical area in Super Mario RPG: it's at the title screen, it's on the box art, and it's at the game's opening. Also, it's the first area you go to in the game. (Mario starts at the Pipe House, but the first area he HEADS to is Vista Hill, the area that started it all.)

Also, Mario just looking at Exor in Bowser's Keep from the distance is literally the most memorable moment in that game. Fighting with Exor in the background would be so badass. If you care to read, here's me explaining my reasoning for wanting Geno's stage to be Vista Hill; I also put the music tracks I thought about for Vista Hill. (In the spoiler)
Why Vista Hill? Well, not many know the name of this area, but this has got to be one of the most recognized areas in all of Super Mario RPG, right next to recognition with the Forest Maze. Remember that this area is literally on the box art of the game, it's even on the title screen. Mario just going to Vista Hill and staring at Bowser's Keep from a far distance, along with a jump, is such a historical area and moment to Super Mario RPG. Having Bowser's Keep with Exor in the background when you fight? That would be so awesome. There are even stages with castles in the background, such as Peach's Castle 64, Bridge of Eldin, EVEN ULTIMATE'S BATTLEFIELD! I think we should keep Vista Hill the way it looks because some stages completely stay to their original looks, including the ones with 16-bit sprites, so Super Mario RPG's stage should stay with its original look. Forest Maze would be nice, but I would prefer to fight on Vista Hill because that hill alone practically represents Super Mario RPG, and fighting with Exor in the background would look so awesome. If Sakurai can manage to pull this off, maybe at a certain time, Exor can fall from the sky and land in Bowser's Keep with a huge, shattering quake and just stays there, watching us fight... oh man, that would be chills and awesome. The background could change as well, from being a red-cloudy sky or shifting into the black and blue aurora flash with the darkened sky.

Music Tracks:
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (Remix)
Beware the Forest's Mushrooms (OG)
Fight Against Koopa (Remix)
Fight Against an Armed Boss (Remix)
Fight Against Monsters
Fight Against a Somewhat Stronger Monster
Still, the Road is Full of Dangers!
Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure
Let's Go Down the Wine River (Optional)
Slope (Optional)

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Most likely? That's exactly what Sakurai tweeted.
Yes , but most people I talked to thought Nintendo chosed everything and told Sakurai to shut up. They think Nintendo chosed all the 5 DLCs fighters without asking for Sakurai's opinion on the matter.
But yeah , the selection was made by Nintendo , but he probably have some power over character choices.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That is actually the stage I do want if Geno does get in. I said something about Vista Hill back in November. Vista Hill is literally the most historical area in Super Mario RPG: it's at the title screen, it's on the box art, and it's at the game's opening. Also, it's the first area you go to in the game. (Mario starts at the Pipe House, but the first area he HEADS to is Vista Hill, the area that started it all.)

Also, Mario just looking at Exor in Bowser's Keep from the distance is literally the most memorable moment in that game. Fighting with Exor in the background would be so badass. If you care to read, here's me explaining my reasoning for wanting Geno's stage to be Vista Hill; I also put the music tracks I thought about for Vista Hill. (In the spoiler)
Given Smash's tendency of using big games' first areas, this would be a pretty positive case, seeing how much it would stand out from other Mario stages.

Looma

Smash Journeyman

No kidding, dare I say that THIS rendered in HD (especially with Ultimate's lighting, LORD), Exor and the crimson stone Bowser beneath it and all, would be the best that Bowser's Castle has ever looked in any depiction.

In addition, we don't have to rely on Princess Peach's Castle or Luigi's Mansion or any of those others as the designated "Bowser" music stages anymore! They're finally home!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I managed to get an SNES Classic for Christmas this year and haven’t gotten around to playing Super Mario RPG on it yet, but hoping to do another playthrough of it really soon and work it around my college schedule. :grin:

Star Fox 2 was a pain to unlock, though to be fair I haven’t played the original Star Fox since I was 5, so I was a bit rusty when trying to complete the first level. :lol:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, I dunno if they’ve said this here, but PolarPanda PolarPanda said on the Square thread that Vergeben was told that Geno’s leakbait.

If it’s old hat I apologize, but thoughts?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So, I dunno if they’ve said this here, but PolarPanda PolarPanda said on the Square thread that Vergeben was told that Geno’s leakbait.

If it’s old hat I apologize, but thoughts?
If he’s truly leakbait why has no one else mentioned this at all but somehow everyone thinks Erdrick is in?

Also that’s some really despicable leakbait if true.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
No kidding, dare I say that THIS rendered in HD (especially with Ultimate's lighting, LORD), Exor and the crimson stone Bowser beneath it and all, would be the best that Bowser's Castle has ever looked in any depiction.

In addition, we don't have to rely on Princess Peach's Castle or Luigi's Mansion or any of those others as the designated "Bowser" music stages anymore! They're finally home!
Keep going, I'M ALMOST THERE!!!!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, it is Sakurai's game after all, so yes, he should have the power for his DLC. How can you not have the power of choosing your own characters for your own game?
Yeah, I agree that it is really stupid to believe that Sakurai had absolutely zero power in picking the DLC characters just because of a couple tweets. If nothing else, I'm sure the guy at least made some suggestions (because, I mean, it is his game), which leads me to believe that Geno was almost certainly on that fabled list everyone speaks of.
If he’s truly leakbait why has no one else mentioned this at all but somehow everyone thinks Erdrick is in?

My thoughts exactly, pretty much. Geno being genuine leakbait would not only be really, really ****ty (imagine if Nintendo used K. Rool as a smokescreen for another DK rep like Chunky Kong or something; that's basically the magnitude of bull**** we're dealing with here), but would also cast doubt on everyone's wanton certainty over Erdrick recently. I don't buy it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Well, if it’s good leakbait people gotta believe it, but if Vergeben heard it was leakbait then it’s not out of the question that others did as well.

Then again it could be telling a leaker that a leak is leakbait so it doesn’t appear to be a leak. It’s a leak-leakbait. Really high level stuff.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Well, if it’s good leakbait people gotta believe it, but if Vergeben heard it was leakbait then it’s not out of the question that others did as well.

Then again it could be telling a leaker that a leak is leakbait so it doesn’t appear to be a leak. It’s a leak-leakbait. Really high level stuff.
Vergeben was outright told there were no DK reps in base roster by one of his sources.

I don't think a source of his thinking Geno is leakbait means much of anything when his bud Hitagi thought a Granblue character was a lock. I guess what i'm saying is I think quite a few insiders are also in the dark as well and are making educated guesses.

But you're right on the High Level stuff here. It's like a game of "Are you a werewolf" except the werewolf is the Square character and they're doing a damn good job of blending in with the other characters.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Yeah, I agree that it is really stupid to believe that Sakurai had absolutely zero power in picking the DLC characters just because of a couple tweets. If nothing else, I'm sure the guy at least made some suggestions (because, I mean, it is his game), which leads me to believe that Geno was almost certainly on that fabled list everyone speaks of.

My thoughts exactly, pretty much. Geno being genuine leakbait would not only be really, really ****ty (imagine if they used K. Rool as a smokescreen for another DK rep like Chunky Kong or something), but would also cast doubt on everyone's wanton certainty over Erdrick recently. I don't buy it.
My problem is; do we have any reason to think Square wouldn't resort to such a low tactic? Seem's pretty in character to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verg has been told stuff that some others haven't been, it seems. Nobody else was told about the Minecraft Boss, I think? Of course, keep in mind that when it comes to leak, different people can know different but true things. It is quite possible that both Hitagi and Verg have different but real information. So it basically could mean Steve is a DLC character, and the stage has a Minecraft boss.

Not to say I trust Hitagi as much. But it's very possible Verg doesn't have any real DLC information either. Likewise, Geno could've been leakbait too. If Square really didn't want him as playable(which is possible), putting that out is a good way to catch leakers, since he's a big name among Smashers and a fan-favorite. Of course, that's an awful choice for a leakbaited character, but it's not impossible.

The situation is complicated and we'll know in due time. But the chances of leakbait existing are still pretty high. Steve and any of the Minecraft content as is could be leakbait too.

Vergeben was outright told there were no DK reps in base roster by one of his sources.
Just to note, he didn't believe in that source either. He didn't trust a fake source. Keep in mind he can still trust a fake one. He has before. He isn't infallible, of course.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
My problem is; do we have any reason to think Square wouldn't resort to such a low tactic? Seem's pretty in character to me.
I dunno, even for Square, that just seems beyond ****ty to me. They know damn well how much people want Geno, and if word got out they used his name to hide a different character that people haven't been asking for, their reputation among Smash fans, and probably Nintendo fans in general, would be irreparably damaged. At the very least, it's not in their interest whatsoever to do something like that.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
How was Geno meant to be leakbait? Was he ever really leaked in a convincing fashion?

It's not entirely off the table. He could've been leakbait, but we didn't fall for it. Since that didn't work, someone randomly bringing up Erdrick shifted insider's attention, and therefore Square's attention, to Erdrick, which could very easily be leakbait.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
How was Geno meant to be leakbait? Was he ever really leaked in a convincing fashion?

It's not entirely off the table. He could've been leakbait, but we didn't fall for it. Since that didn't work, someone randomly bringing up Erdrick shifted insider's attention, and therefore Square's attention, to Erdrick, which could very easily be leakbait.
Exactly. If Geno's supposed to be "leakbait" as the insider narrative would have us believe, they haven't exactly been pushing him as such considering hardly anyone's even bringing him up as far as insiders go, and the few that do go out of their way to confirm that he's "leakbait". Simply put, they aren't fooling anyone at this point.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Exactly. If Geno's supposed to be "leakbait" as the insider narrative would have us believe, they haven't exactly been pushing him as such considering hardly anyone's even bringing him up as far as insiders go, and the few that do go out of their way to confirm that he's "leakbait". Simply put, they aren't fooling anyone at this point.
Yeah that's why I have my suspicions of Erdrick/Dragon Quest rep. Why would a "literal who" doll be leakbait when most outside of Smash speculation don't even know who he is?

Somethin ain't right I tell ya.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about leakbait is using a name that isn't heard as often, yet sounds very plausible. At least, that's my perspective on it. As I said in the Square thread, it doesn't make sense for a character used in a wide glut of leaks to be used as leak bait, as it hardly narrows down who is doing the leaking. A name that's so often on people's mouths being used to point Square in a specific direction? I'm not so sure if I buy it either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

This entire situation in a nutshell, er, I think:

They're desperate for attention. It'll get to the point where they resort to a Space Invader as leakbait, at this rate. And we haven't even got past character 1 of the Fighter Pass!

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
Geno still has a good shot, I feel, but I would be okay with just getting his Mii Outfit back, maybe made even more unique like adding stars and BBs to the shot effects.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Geno still has a good shot, I feel, but I would be okay with just getting his Mii Outfit back, maybe made even more unique like adding stars and BBs to the shot effects.
I'd love if they changed up his Mii outfit to be a bit more unique, perhaps to even have a full-coverage version of the head so it looks exactly like Geno, because a Mii's facial options just doesn't cut it even close. If we can't get him playable, that'd be damn fine consolation for me.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

I don't think a source of his thinking Geno is leakbait means much of anything when his bud Hitagi thought a Granblue character was a lock. I guess what i'm saying is I think quite a few insiders are also in the dark as well and are making educated guesses.

But you're right on the High Level stuff here. It's like a game of "Are you a werewolf" except the werewolf is the Square character and they're doing a damn good job of blending in with the other characters.
Which is why I trust PolarPanda and Lady Lima with "No one knows the DLC", because it's true, nobody knows them. Not even Vergeben himself knew Joker was going to be DLC; he got struck in the heart twice because he said the Square character would be first, and he never knew Joker would be DLC. Honestly, after Polar's source told us that Isaac and Shadow were assist trophies before the Direct, saying certain bosses would be in the game before it was confirmed, Pokémon Let's GO spirits were coming before it was officially announced with an update, saying no one knows the DLC which is also correct, and a bunch of other stuff... It makes me trust them. Not once did they get anything wrong. I stopped believing in leaks after the Grinch leak was fake.

This Erdrick leak that popped up out of nowhere is just ridiculous and seems like it's trying to catch everyone's attention, which also seems like a strong case of leakbait. I didn't believe it because no one knows the DLC. Sure, you can guess the DLC characters, but you will not know if you're right or wrong until it's confirmed.
Yeah that's why I have my suspicions of Erdrick/Dragon Quest rep. Why would a "literal who" doll be leakbait when most outside of Smash speculation don't even know who he is?
Exactly. It's luring many fans. Maybe it's because...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The thing about leakbait is using a name that isn't heard as often, yet sounds very plausible. At least, that's my perspective on it. As I said in the Square thread, it doesn't make sense for a character used in a wide glut of leaks to be used as leak bait, as it hardly narrows down who is doing the leaking. A name that's so often on people's mouths being used to point Square in a specific direction? I'm not so sure if I buy it either.
This 100%. The idea that Geno is a leakbait character seems really suspect because of how many people assumed he was in the roster prior to his spirit being found because of how requested he’s been for years. If you’re going to pick a pure leakbait character it would be someone most people wouldn’t automatically have in their lists but be plausible enough on paper that people would report it as part of a leak if they were given that information. To me Erdrick screams leakbait more than anyone on that list because 1. How many people in the wider gaming community actually knew who he was prior to being named in leak lists? and 2. It’s so easy to make an argument about why he would be picked (DQ is popular in Japan, Erdrick is the most recognizable if the DQ player characters) so once given that information not a lot of people would really question it.

Last edited:

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
This entire situation in a nutshell, er, I think:

They're desperate for attention. It'll get to the point where they resort to a Space Invader as leakbait, at this rate. And we haven't even got past character 1 of the Fighter Pass!
Yeah, and if this is supposed to last until 2020, there is NO way we already have our second DLC character confirmed. Yeah, shouldn't we have the other three then? Where are the other three? If they know the second DLC character, then they should know the remaining three-- oh that's right, they don't, probably because it's all a bunch of BabySitter.

If Joker hasn't even been worked on since November, then that doesn't make any sense. Sakurai has to finish working with Joker first, then start the next DLC character. Remember when Mewtwo was announced as DLC for Smash 4? Xander Mobus said he would take a few months, and if DLC characters are supposed to be announced until 2020, we should be seeing a new character announcement every 3-4 months, and that also means Joker's development should take 3-4 months; my guess is they're working on his render and design right now, then the moveset, and then the rest of his DLC content. And if it's true that Joker is currently being developed right now, then that Erdrick leak has to be fake; remember that the Erdrick leak said one of Joker's moves involves Jack Frost, but we haven't seen any gameplay since Joker is being developed. Checkmate.

Also, Bird Studio and Akira Toriyama really putting some damage into that leak because of their bans with the DB FighterZ tournaments. Erdrick and Slime are a part of those two (Bird Studio and Akira), and if Smash is being banned because of a DQ character, then that's bad; Sakurai and Nintendo would think ahead if this were to happen. This really makes me believe that Erdrick is being thrown out there for being leakbait. Square is evil enough to do this, but what if that Erdrick leaker is actually a higher-up Square employee that's trying to throw the community off? Square IS evil enough to do that, and we all know they LOVE to throw people off with false info, even known to throw off their own employees with false info. Just a thought.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, and if this is supposed to last until 2020, there is NO way we already have our second DLC character confirmed. Yeah, shouldn't we have the other three then? Where are the other three? If they know the second DLC character, then they should know the remaining three-- oh that's right, they don't, probably because it's all a bunch of BabySitter.

If Joker hasn't even been worked on since November, then that doesn't make any sense. Sakurai has to finish working with Joker first, then start the next DLC character. Remember when Mewtwo was announced as DLC for Smash 4? Xander Mobus said he would take a few months, and if DLC characters are supposed to be announced until 2020, we should be seeing a new character announcement every 3-4 months, and that also means Joker's development should take 3-4 months; my guess is they're working on his render and design right now, then the moveset, and then the rest of his DLC content. And if it's true that Joker is currently being developed right now, then that Erdrick leak has to be fake; remember that the Erdrick leak said one of Joker's moves involves Jack Frost, but we haven't seen any gameplay since Joker is being developed. Checkmate.

Also, Bird Studio and Akira Toriyama really putting some damage into that leak because of their bans with the DB FighterZ tournaments. Erdrick and Slime are a part of those two (Bird Studio and Akira), and if Smash is being banned because of a DQ character, then that's bad; Sakurai and Nintendo would think ahead if this were to happen. This really makes me believe that Erdrick is being thrown out there for being leakbait. Square is evil enough to do this, but what if that Erdrick leaker is actually a higher-up Square employee that's trying to throw the community off? Square IS evil enough to do that, and we all know they LOVE to throw people off with false info, even known to throw off their own employees with false info. Just a thought.
The Erdrick leak also mentioned the stage Joker would get, IIRC. Again, how would anyone know that when he's only been announced recently?

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

Well, it is Sakurai's game after all, so yes, he should have the power for his DLC. How can you not have the power of choosing your own characters for your own game? It depends if he recommended or made some suggestions for wanting some characters as DLC, and we all know who he would've mentioned. I believe he chose off of a huge list Nintendo gave him to choose DLC characters on, but first, I'm absolutely sure he made some suggestions and gave them ideas before Nintendo made the list. Now, why do I think he made some suggestions? He's expressed his praise for Persona 5 and looked VERY happy about it being represented in his own game; Joker probably wasn't even Sakurai's decision, he probably just wanted ANY Persona character in Smash, and the one Nintendo happened to put on their list must've been Joker, and that's possibly why Joker was selected instead of another Persona character. But yes, all we know is Sakurai has the power to choose and veto characters on the list.

I said I was done speculating for a while, but it's time to speculate on something new.
If Nintendo DID choose a Microsoft rep like Steve, I'm sure Sakurai would've denied him for many reasons.
1. He can't work. Yes, he cannot crouch all the way down and his running animation doesn't work with Smash. The only way to fix this is to break his animation boundaries, and I don't think Microsoft would be up for that. Yes, we know Captain Falcon is a driver and his moveset is made up, but he works because his body isn't square; the dude is a human, he can crouch and run like one, Steve can't. They can't break Steve's running and crouching animation, otherwise it breaks Minecraft logic, in other words, a plot hole; this is why Pichu takes damage, because it's said in the Pokédex that it damages itself at a young age. "However, Pichu are unskilled at controlling their electricity, and sometimes release it by accident when surprised, or when laughing, and shock themselves. So yes, Sakurai follows logic, he doesn't break it. HE BREAKS LIMITS, correct, but not logic that leads to plot holes.
2. Minecraft isn't mainstream/popular like it is anymore, it's completely dying and Smash won't bring it back. The most popular game at the moment is... oh what, you think I'm going to say the game's name? I am NOT saying its evil name, but you know it starts with an F and ends with an E.
3. Steve's fanbase isn't big, it's about as small as Slime's fanbase. Steve wouldn't be mind-blowing, people would be booing and disliking his trailer. If Steve was announced at the game awards, people would NOT take Nintendo seriously anymore; the crowd would either be booing or not clapping, plus there will be chaos and lots of hate towards Sakurai and Nintendo. Sakurai always thinks ahead of situations like this, and he took the same risk again with Waluigi, I don't think he'll be up for hate again; he even knows he and Nintendo won't be taken seriously anymore.

If there were more than one Microsoft rep on that list, it's either going to be Banjo or the Master Chief. I'll take either one of them because they've been around longer and had more of an impact on gamers than Minecraft did. Despite me not playing a Banjo-Kazooie game ever, I would prefer Banjo getting in because he's been highly requested for ages now, much more requested than the Master Chief. Master Chief would be great for Smash! Snake is in it, and if he's in it, then the Master Chief can also work just like him. I've been playing Halo for years and I'd love to see him in the game, but I don't see him making it because Halo is only on Xbox, and I can't see it coming to the Switch. But hey, if he does get in, I really hope they go with his Halo 2 design. Yes, I know Persona 5 is only on PlayStation, but there's a rumor going around that Persona 5 R might come to the Switch.
The only character I would call a lock at this point is Banjo. Just because I don't think ANYONE would pine for steve. No one wants steve, minecraft isn't something nintendo is getting much out of, if anything at all at this point, its dead content, popular as hell? sure. It had its time, but that time is done. Meanwhile, there has been a ton of discussion and information regarding rare lately. Also Phil has said numerous times that he was working with nintendo on something big. My guess is a new BK game is coming at E3, along with the announcement of Banjo being in smash. Hopefully we get a Mumbo AT to go with the Bear and Bird duo and the Final Boss area from BK for the stage, with Grunty slinging rhymes and fireballs.

D

Deleted member

My hope is that they add more detail like this to the DLC Mii costumes in general. I mean, Azurda in Rex's is sick and Isaac's scarf is on point. For the DLC we're paying extra for it, so I expect more.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only character I would call a lock at this point is Banjo. Just because I don't think ANYONE would pine for steve. No one wants steve, minecraft isn't something nintendo is getting much out of, if anything at all at this point, its dead content, popular as hell? sure. It had its time, but that time is done. Meanwhile, there has been a ton of discussion and information regarding rare lately. Also Phil has said numerous times that he was working with nintendo on something big. My guess is a new BK game is coming at E3, along with the announcement of Banjo being in smash. Hopefully we get a Mumbo AT to go with the Bear and Bird duo and the Final Boss area from BK for the stage, with Grunty slinging rhymes and fireballs.
There's also the brief data strain leak that showed the JP names for Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps. That's something that can't be overlooked. On top of this, there hasn't been much in the way of B-K lip service in company tweets recently, it seems.

I hope they would add more detail like this to Mii costumes in general. I mean, Azurda in Rex's is sick and Isaac's scarf is on point
Myself, I thought the detail on the Dixie hat is fantastic.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Like, can you imagine how sad that is IF Geno is bait? They'd be betraying fans big time.
What's even sadder is that I couldn't see Nintendo doing that to us, but I can absolutely see Square being that utterly cruel. I have a lot of disdain for Square as a company, so I just wouldn't put it past them, even if it logically doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom