• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I also thoroughly loved the work they put into the Legacy XP Geno. Holy **** was that character fun to play as. My lord, if he ends up being a character and they bring that type of fire to him, it's going to blow people away.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
tbh I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't use mii costumes lol

Like despite him being my most wanted before his deconfirmation I still don't use the Rex costume bc I think miis look ugly, are boring, and I don't like their playstyle lol

Like why use a mii brawler/gunner/swordfighter that's dressed as a character I want when I could just play an actual character I like who fits those archetypes who's already in the game
That's the problem I have with Miis as well. To me, it's not like "you can play as ANYONE you want now!", it's more like "you can pretend to play as anyone you want now! That's cool, right??" Yeah, in the same way that working as a guy in a Chuck E. Cheese costume is cool. It's just like the real thing!

REZERO

Smash Journeyman

Like despite him being my most wanted before his deconfirmation I still don't use the Rex costume bc I think miis look ugly, are boring, and I don't like their playstyle lol

Like why use a mii brawler/gunner/swordfighter that's dressed as a character I want when I could just play an actual character I like who fits those archetypes who's already in the game
Yeah I agree, not really a fan of the miis myself even though I have the costume from the dlc. It feels like a slap in the face tbh.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That's the problem I have with Miis as well. To me, it's not like "you can play as ANYONE you want now!", it's more like "you can pretend to play as anyone you want now! That's cool, right??" Yeah, in the same way that working as a guy in a Chuck E. Cheese costume is cool. It's just like the real thing!
Mii fighters are not a great replacement for any "character," but they're really good for playing as real people/yourself/your friends/etc. I like playing as myself. :)

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Mii fighters are not a great replacement for any "character," but they're really good for playing as real people/yourself/your friends/etc. I like playing as myself. :)
My friends and I use mii fighters exclusively to make weird original characters with messed up backstories. It's tons of fun.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
My friends and I use mii fighters exclusively to make weird original characters with messed up backstories. It's tons of fun.
The best thing about Mii fighters is being able to fight someone as a guy with a hamburger for a head, and no one can tell me otherwise.

ETA: By the way, I've heard whisperings and rumblings of a Star Road discord server? If this is a public server, I'd love to pop in, even if I only end up lurking due to my overwhelming shyness, haha.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yeah, the only fun I ever have with Miis is pairing ridiculous designs with dumb costumes, and even if I'm messing around, I barely use them.
The best thing about Mii fighters is being able to fight someone as a guy with a hamburger for a head, and no one can tell me otherwise.

ETA: By the way, I've heard whisperings and rumblings of a Star Road discord server? If this is a public server, I'd love to pop in, even if I only end up lurking due to my overwhelming shyness, haha.
Yes, there is, and yes, it is public. The link's at the very bottom of the OP, if you wanna join us.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Alright, so what I wanna say first is that I really DO agree with almost everything you say. Smash is amazing, the fact that Ultimate even exists the way it does is incredible and, as I said, its mere existence is enough to make me happy. I'm not at ALL trying to discredit the work Sakurai and his team put into making the game a real thing that actually exists in the modern world. Simply put, all I'm trying to do is as I originally said: call a spade a spade.

To me, it's quite clear that Nintendo wanted to make the most money they possibly could off of Smash Ultimate solely because of one distinct, irrefutable fact: They created an extremely content-packed Smash game in full HD on a console that sold far below their expectations. This was, of course, Smash 4.

I know that the game was also on the 3DS, but it's clear that a lot of extra development costs went towards making it for the Wii U. The game still ran at a steady 60fps despite being in full HD, something Nintendo struggled to transition to smoothly. A lot of heavy-hitting development costs were poured into this game, only to really go to waste compared to how well Melee and Brawl sold for their time periods. The fact that Nintendo is porting and reselling many Wii U games to the Switch for a full-priced $59.99 proves exactly how Nintendo really wasn't satisfied with the sales numbers of these games and wants to continue selling them.

I feel like Smash Ultimate is clearly facing a similar situation. Let me explain how.

Let's get into it by talking about the history of new content in past Smash sequels.

SSB64 - 12 fighters
SSBM - 26 fighters
SSBB - 38 fighters (including Pokemon trainer as 1)
SSB4 - 58 fighters (including Mii fighters and DLC)
SSBU - 75 fighters (including Mii fighters, Pokemon trainer as 1, and Piranha Plant)

Now, as you can see, there's a steady theme going on here: each Smash sequel has loads of new content. From 64 to Melee, we gained 14 additional fighters in addition to incredible new stages, mechanics, a timeless controller that is still considered the best peripheral to play Smash on, etc. From Melee to Brawl, we gained a few less fighters than before; only 12 additional ones, HOWEVER, these were all great additions. A lot of fat was trimmed such as Pichu and Dr Mario, and pretty much every newcomer felt like they really deserved their spot, with HUGE additions in Snake and Sonic. Plus, Subspace Emissary and online support right out of the box. And then, of course, a whopping TWENTY new fighters from Brawl to 4, in addition to the game running really well despite being in HD, something that Nintendo had a tough time transitioning to as a whole.

And then, 4 to Ultimate. We gained 17 new fighters; a lot were returning veterans, and as for how the game runs? The Switch hardware is very similar to the Wii U as a whole, essentially just serving as a much easier and understood chipset to develop for with more ram to play around with, which has lead to Smash Ultimate looking very similar to 4 on the Wii U as a whole.

I think a fair argument that can be made here is that this count includes paid DLC for 4, but doesn't for Ultimate, despite Ultimate having 5 paid DLC characters confirmed so far. And that's a fair argument, but it does play into the point I'm trying to make here; in order for Ultimate to feel like a true Smash sequel in terms of new content, it's required that you spend $84.98 on the game.

Now, it is fair to say that a lot more may have had to go into licensing and getting other companies on-board purely because there's a reason why a lot of these characters suddenly disappeared from past games. And while that may be true, it's something I'm not inclined to believe fully after the news came out that Square Enix and Cloud were almost the reason why Ultimate never happened. If I had to guess based off of the E3 showing alone who almost kept Ultimate from happening, I would without a doubt say Konami, considering how little they deal in console video games these days. However, the fact that not only Snake came back, but Simon AND Richter both got added in as brand new newcomers, has me believe that it couldn't have been all that hard working with other companies to bring every veteran back if Square Enix, a company 100% on-board with putting Cloud in not even 3 years prior, was the hardest company to deal with when it came to back-end licensing.

This is why I believe that there's a very good chance that Smash Ultimate is Nintendo wanting to make as much money as they possibly can off of the foundation they created with Smash 4, and why they likely cut development a bit shorter than they could have in order to attempt to make more money off of their product. The game looks very similar to Smash 4, plays quite a bit differently but still similarly enough to know that the game was most likely made in a modified version of the same game engine, has some brand new fighters but many are just remastered/slightly tweaked versions of pre-existing ones (which, if you've ever worked in design, engineering, or even game development (like I have), you'll know that creating a piece of work from scratch is about 10x as much work as graphically remastering an old but already developed piece of work), and as a whole doesn't feel like a WHOLE new game like every Smash sequel has in the past.

Let me sum it up with a comparison a lot of people will probably have no issues understanding: Smash 4 to Smash Ultimate reminds me a lot of Windows Vista to Windows 7. There were some small differences that a lot of people loved, but for the most part, both were EXTREMELY similar and the main reason why people loved the latter more than the former were simply because of the fact that the latter was on newer and better hardware. And because of that, because of the new hardware and because of a lot of the good, old things being incorporated into the new one, people fell in love with the new one.

I think this is fine. I think Nintendo wanting to make more money after 3-4 straight years of financial losses and wanting to give the HD games they worked really hard to develop on under-performing hardware a second chance is completely fine. I consider games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Bayonetta 2, and DK Country Tropical Freeze better than most $60 AAA games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, and have no problem spending $60 on them despite them already being out for years. And that's kind of how I feel about Smash Ultimate as well.

People would've been happy if Ultimate instead ended up being a port of Smash 4 with all the DLC included and nothing more than that. The fact that it ended up being Ultimate as it is is just a bonus to everyone, and I think that the game becoming just that is absolutely incredible. However, that doesn't automatically mean the game is perfect, and the best it could have possibly ever been. And I think that having that thought and explaining why I have that thought doesn't at ALL discredit Nintendo, Sakurai, or his team. I think what it does is make me a normal consumer, a non-fanboy, who wants to see these products get better. And that's not me saying that you're a fanboy either; you could be, I don't know if you are so I won't make any assumptions. But what I am saying is that I, personally, am not one and will speak my mind no matter how good a product ends up being. Even the best things in the world can be better, nothing is perfect but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing to strive for perfection and constantly try to make things better.

So yeah. What Nintendo is doing is fine, I have no issues with it. I pre-ordered Ultimate back in August, I've already pre-ordered the Fighters Pass, and I assume I'll pre-order any future DLC if there ends up being any as well. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of signs surrounding the idea that maybe Nintendo did cut development for Ultimate a bit short for the sake of making a little more money. As I said, calling a spade a spade, not at all trying to discredit anyone's work.
I just don't think I can agree with you on this situation. The "complete" Smash experience is exactly what you're getting on disc. I know that's not exactly what you meant, but in today's video game culture, that has a significantly more loaded connotation. There is no real proof that Nintendo has stripped content out of the game, or particularly cut the development cycle short. Sakurai has a lot of autonomy when it comes to Smash from everything that we've seen and I'm inclined to believe that Nintendo strong-arming him into more specific decisions, especially one that would have such massive impact on the core game.

A lot of what you're saying is very subjective ideas of what "feels" like a new Smash or that Ultimate doesn't seem like the same leap. I don't necessarily disagree with some of those statements, but I will take issue with you using that to make a claim that this is the perspective of Nintendo rushing the game out to sale it for $85.

Especially when a lot of it feels new to me as well, and shows signs of much more effort than Smash 4 felt at the best of times. But that's my subjective take too. The game feels new enough to me without too far removed from Smash 4, which I generally think was the peak of the series anyway, so how much further are you going be able to diversify yourself from the best. Oh, add in a bunch of the more complicated techniques and ideas seen elsewhere and make the game additionally cater to the competitive crowd. They did a lot of work with the system in terms of how the game plays, and suddenly, you're tweaking every character to make that happen. Does this move or that break with a new system, and how do we balance that. Brawl had 26 veterans to contend with and only ended up using 21 of them. While I can't confirm that, I imagine there is a serious amount of practicality involved when you increase that number to 65 before you even consider what you're adding to that. And Brawl seems to be the gold standard of new content you're going for.

Again, I think much of this just comes to down to priorities in development. The choice wasn't to make this game around new content like the past couple had been, it was to focus on making sure nobody was left behind and the best of what worked in past games was brought back so that people could enjoy the game as optimally as possible. "Everyone is Here" was always the trump card to play at E3, and the stages seemed to be designed and brought back with a similar philosophy.

I'm not saying the game is perfect or without flaws, don't get me wrong. But I think you're making a pretty big claim without the proper consideration. Sakurai seems to have control of his own development cycles, and this was the game he wanted to make. I think he achieved that vision and the focus was on older content. Then, the DLC future would be all new content. I'm sure they knew they would do DLC early on given how Smash 4 performed well with DLC, but I don't think that was born of a, "Let's sell them a complete package for $85!" It is much more likely that Nintendo just understood that supporting another one of their big name titles in this day and age is a better model to just waiting for the sequel. Sakurai has made the game he wanted to initially, is willing to continue developing more content, and new content will keep the game alive and a pillar of our success going forward.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The "Must-have" phrase from them is going into the trash instantly if Erdrick happens. This is gonna end up getting worser reception than Ryu or Corrin
Ryu was a pretty cool reveal, I thought he was received pretty well, I only got salty about Corrin because I was like another FE character, really? :glare:

Nah, you’re not the only one, I just collect them while playing throughout the game.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
To be honest, they could make a snifit with a hat as DLC, people would still buy it. Because it is Smash Bros.
So, no, Erdrick wouldn't be a waste of money for Nintendo, people would definitely buy him.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Pretty sure that was never the intention of miis. It was more like, "Here's a nice cosplay, since this was the most we could possibly do."

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
on source gaming theres a new article which says sakurai chose the cstlevania characters due to them being high on the ballot
Interesting.

The Source Gaming article also states that Sakurai was limited when it came to adding new content. I wonder if this extends to Geno, so the Spirit is consolation?

I also didn’t know Simon/Castlevania places high on the ballot. I wonder if this means Geno didn’t place as high as I thought....

Also, not to be super negative, but if Geno doesn’t make it in this time around, despite Sakurai’s statements last game, his presence on Nintendo’s Twitter, and game show, and his presence in an overwhelming amount of leaks, as well as blogs and websites asking for his inclusion, the im not expecting Geno in any Smash game after ultimate. I think it would feel stale. Even if there was another Smash game after this, that’s about 5-10 years away and I would have then been waiting like 30 years for one character and honestly the novelty would probably have lost its luster by then. If they don’t put him in, even with all these things i his favor, it would show that either Nintendo or Square don’t care for the character at all, or his demand.
Believe me, if Sakurai said he was popular and wanted him in as well, than he isn't a nobody or a character just in the backseat. Sakurai chooses who get's into the roster, except for maybe any Pokemon and certain DLC characters for promotional reasons from Nintendo and Game Freak.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Of course not, but regardless, the fact that Geno has been put in so many “leaks” is a testament to his popularity and how demanded he is
I find that hard to believe, but OK.

EDIT: I'm not denying that Geno is popular I'm saying that I can't associate leaks with his popularity.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: I'm not denying that Geno is popular I'm saying that I can't associate leaks with his popularity.
I just think that’s a logical conclusion. Especially with fake leaks. Why would you fake leak a character that no one wants? You wouldn’t fool anybody that way. If you fake a popular character. You’re more believable and you rule yo those fans. Remember that fake Geno picture leak? I held onto that for SO long.

beans

Smash Lord

Its just the easy bait.
If you make a fake leak with a bunch of names that people dont know, they wont see any reason to look at it.
If you put some high quality fan-bait like the common Waluigi, the sassy Geno, the missing Dixie or *any character with a decent following* you will have attracted the attention of their following and, if you're lucky enough, the entire comunity.
It's shady, but if you're a fake leaker, it doesnt matter really.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just think that’s a logical conclusion. Especially with fake leaks. Why would you fake leak a character that no one wants? You wouldn’t fool anybody that way. If you fake a popular character. You’re more believable and you rule yo those fans. Remember that fake Geno picture leak? I held onto that for SO long.
I remember in June all the way through the August 8th Direct, there was more leaks that had K. Rool in it than Simon who, leakers starting putting in their leaks because of Vergeben getting E3 right. There was no evidence for K. Rool at the time and leakers betted on him more than another character Verge said was going to be in.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
As fake leaks would have it, they mainly zero in on fan favorites, meaning characters that are popular within the insular community. Geno is, while certainly not EXTREMELY popular, more popular than one may think. (I, too, thought he wasn't that well known outside of the Smash and oldie Newgrounds bubble and was genuinely surprised that wasn't the case.) However, fake leaks with him in it are only a testament to his Smash popularity, not Geno's popularity as a whole. He's a fan favorite, so of course fake leaks are going to mislead by name-dropping characters people want. It's in no way connected to their popularity otherwise, though.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I remember in June all the way through the August 8th Direct, there was more leaks that had K. Rool in it than Simon who, leakers starting putting in their leaks because of Vergeben getting E3 right.
Yup. You piggyback off a more credible leaker and add more credible sounding things.

As fake leaks would have it, they mainly zero in on fan favorites, meaning characters that are popular within the insular community. Geno is, while certainly not EXTREMELY popular, more popular than one may think. (I, too, thought he wasn't that well known outside of the Smash and oldie Newgrounds bubble and was genuinely surprised that wasn't the case.) However, fake leaks with him in it are only a testament to his Smash popularity, not Geno's popularity as a whole. He's a fan favorite, so of course fake leaks are going to mislead by name-dropping characters people want. It's in no way connected to their popularity otherwise, though.
Going to disagree only slightly, in that because Smash itself is a popular game, so I could reasonably see a fan favorite’s character popularity spike through the Smash connection alone

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Pretty sure that was never the intention of miis. It was more like, "Here's a nice cosplay, since this was the most we could possibly do."
I mean, the original reveal for the Miis really drove home the point that you can play as "anyone" in Smash now, when in reality, it's a cheap, ugly imitation at best. Plus, you're talking about specifically the Mii Costumes there while I'm talking about Miis in general.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So, there's going to be more Mii costumes sold separately? Interesting...

Watch Erdick and Luminary be promotional Mii costumes instead.

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
So, there's going to be more Mii costumes sold seperatly? Interesting...

Watch Erdick and Luminary be promotional Mii costumes instead.
Cant wait till the debate of re-released of 3rd paty costumes are deconfirmations or reusing assets

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
From what I've read, only the Culex stuff is from Final Fantasy.

I just checked some moments ago, and only 3 tracks are rearrangements of Final Fantasy themes: the battle with Culex, the conversation with him (either before or after his battle), and the victory theme when you beat him.
its literally only the music
Culex himself is just a dude made for this game. He has no FF history, his name was "crystaller" or something in japan, as a reference to the "Crystal" that appeared in 2 games prior, 1 and 4.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I also thoroughly loved the work they put into the Legacy XP Geno. Holy **** was that character fun to play as. My lord, if he ends up being a character and they bring that type of fire to him, it's going to blow people away.
Yeah Legacy XP still blows me away and is much more fun than anything official. And not just because Geno is in it and happens to be pretty strong. it's just a shame the wii tends to chug on a few of the stages.

MattX20

Smash Hero
We shouldn't be so pessimistic right now regarding Geno's chances. If any DQ character isn't confirmed at Jump Fest this week, then it will be near irrefutable proof to me that any DQ character is leakbait that many "leakers" are trying to claim is fact will be trashed for giving out false information. Plus, recall there are only 3 additional series music spots in the base game. If there were supposed to be 5 completely new series for Smash Ultimate, the music spots would've reflected that. It means characters like Geno and Bandana Waddle Dee are not out of the running since the music spots imply certain franchises will get another rep for them along with three new series represented.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
Here’s my tinfoil hat theory that I wish was true:

Geno was never going to be the SE rep, because he actually isn’t a SE rep at all. Yes, they own the rights, and Nintendo would have to go through them to get him in. But the legal rights are the ONLY thing they have. Literally everything else about the character is Nintendo’s. Not just Nintendo, but Mario. He’d represent the Mario universe, and to every casual player who isn’t looking behind the curtain, SE has nothing to do with him.

That’s why Geno won’t be the famously-leaked “SE rep,” but will be revealed alongside the SE rep. Back when Cloud was being developed, Sakurai only had time to bring Geno in as a Mii Costume. But this time around, he’s built-in the time it’ll take to include every fighter in the pass. And as we’ve said over and over again, he’s got the rights already. He’s got the composer on board already. Administrative delays aren’t a thing anymore, so what’s stopping them?

*takes tinfoil hat off*

D

Deleted member

Geno was never going to be the SE rep, because he actually isn’t a SE rep at all. Yes, they own the rights, and Nintendo would have to go through them to get him in. But the legal rights are the ONLY thing they have. Literally everything else about the character is Nintendo’s. Not just Nintendo, but Mario. He’d represent the Mario universe, and to every casual player who isn’t looking behind the curtain, SE has nothing to do with him.

That’s why Geno won’t be the famously-leaked “SE rep,” but will be revealed alongside the SE rep. Back when Cloud was being developed, Sakurai only had time to bring Geno in as a Mii Costume. But this time around, he’s built-in the time it’ll take to include every fighter in the pass. And as we’ve said over and over again, he’s got the rights already. He’s got the composer on board already. Administrative delays aren’t a thing anymore, so what’s stopping them?

*takes tinfoil hat off*
These tinfoil hat theories....why aren't they real yet

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
The final part is Paper Mario 64's part. It even plays the music from the game in the medley.
Unfortunately it's not. The final portion is Bowser's Castle from Sticker Star. I know the picture shows the one from Smash 3DS, but it's the same castle in Ultimate and I couldn't find any pictures of it from Ultimate, but it's based on Bowser's Castle from Sticker Star, not the one from Paper Mario 64.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Sticker Star is the worst RPG with Mario in it. Change my mind.
I agree, which is why I wish I could change up the stage to make it represent all the Paper Mario games instead of having two portions of the same game that no one liked. At least we got a TTYD portion.

However, we did get one thing in there that represented Paper Mario 64, and it was the whale that you ride on to go to Lavalava Island. The whale is in the TTYD portion, and it sometimes lifts the boat up with its blowhole; it doesn't seem like much, but I'm glad it's something. If we had the ability to keep the stage on the TTYD portion, I'd so do it. I absolutely hate the Bowser's Castle portion of the stage and only like the TTYD/ship portion.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

*takes tinfoil hat off*
Combine this with the fact that the “Geno rights” isn’t in the credits and I have yet to find anyone involved with SMRPG’s art department linked to Smash....HMMMMMMM

This would honestly be the best of both worlds. Erdrick and Geno would be in Smash anddddd yeah

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Combine this with the fact that the “Geno rights” isn’t in the credits and I have yet to find anyone involved with SMRPG’s art department linked to Smash....HMMMMMMM
As I and other people have said before, the Square Enix copyright is probably a blanket copyright that covers Geno, so his rights wouldn't need to be separately stated like it was in Superstar Saga.

That being said, though, do we know who created Geno? That's a little odd that nothing from SMRPG's art department and staff is mentioned in the credits. I wouldn't think much of it, especially if this applies to Superstar Saga's credits, as well, but... still odd, indeed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just wish they'd give Bowser a proper stage. Even HIS OWN SON has one.

At least they got spare fancy costumes in case you don't dress them up as fan wants.

And you can dress them up as Federation Force marines, if you want to vent some steam on them.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman

*takes tinfoil hat off*
i hope this is right
and i hope we get some sort of hilarious and amazing reveal for him, involving a Geno doll.

D

Deleted member

This would honestly be the best of both worlds. Erdrick and Geno would be in Smash anddddd yeah
I would MUCH rather have Geno and Crono

As I and other people have said before, the Square Enix copyright is probably a blanket copyright that covers Geno, so his rights wouldn't need to be separately stated like it was in Superstar Saga.

That being said, though, do we know who created Geno? That's a little odd that nothing from SMRPG's art department and staff is mentioned in the credits. I wouldn't think much of it, especially if this applies to Superstar Saga's credits, as well, but... still odd, indeed.
Well, iIrc, the creators of SMRPG do not work at Square Enix anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom