• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
This is interesting. https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42489/p/897

He's gotta at least be a Mii Costume again.

God, yeah, I really hope so. I'm pretty positive he won't be playable, so getting his Mii costume back would at least be a fine consolation prize alongside the spirit and battle tag.
Just gonna quote a post of mine from The Squenix Thread. As hardcore a Geno fan that I am, I definitely feel like this is where the Mii Costume purchase is coming from.

I honestly think the '1 Mii Costume' thing on the site is a way for people to buy Rex Mii costume who didn't preorder the fighter pack or bought individual characters.

99% of all preorder/bundle buys eventually make their way onto the market as single items for both an extra cash grab and a way for people who didn't get them in a bundle to still own them.
It just makes too much sense.

Last edited:

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
K. Rool is the only newcomer that has been confirmed being chosen because of the Ballot. Sakurai said it himself and has said nothing on if any of the other newcomers were chosen from the Ballot as well. He said Ridley, Chrom, and Dark Samus were highly requested, but didn't actually reference or said anything about the Ballot when he brought them up.
on source gaming theres a new article which says sakurai chose the cstlevania characters due to them being high on the ballot

D

Deleted member

If Nintendo did in fact buy Geno from SE, that would make him no longer third party, making the absence of his Mii costume more perplexing

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to lose a bit of hope when it comes to Geno joining Smash. It's still there, but it's just slowly disappearing. Maybe it's just not his time. It's come to a point where all I want his for his Mii costume to come back.
I'll be with you if he's not a part of the Fighters Pass. I still think he'll be the last fighter on it, but if he's not then yeah, it's probably too late for him unless we do get another Smash sequel one day. Feel like Sakurai is gonna go for the Ridley/K Rool/Geno hat trick now or never honestly.

D

Deleted member

I'll be with you if he's not a part of the Fighters Pass. I still think he'll be the last fighter on it, but if he's not then yeah, it's probably too late for him unless we do get another Smash sequel one day. Feel like Sakurai is gonna go for the Ridley/K Rool/Geno hat trick now or never honestly.
Now

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
The thing about those third party costumes is that if the Lloyd being a character thing is true then we’d have both him as a fighter and as a costume. Which would mean the same could happen for Geno.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
it better be now. otherwise someone at square is gonna rub the lotion on their skin.

domriver

Smash Lord
Just wondering here - Why are some people thinking that Nintendo bought the rights to Geno? A thing i realized on the Spirit List in the game when viewing Geno is labeled as a Mario character. If he was to be considered straight-up 3rd party then they would have to use a different Symbol i would imagine. What you people think?

Last edited:

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I think thats the reason. the fact that the ONLY other square content in the game is Mallow and Geno.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Just wondering here - Why are some people thinking that Nintendo bought the rights to Geno? A thing i realized on the Spirit List in the game when viewing Geno is labeled as a Mario character. If he was to be considered straight-up 3rd party then they would have to use a different Symbol i would imagine. What you people think?
He's still a Mario character. Giving him a new symbol would require more licensing to use a symbol Square-Enix created. Using his official symbol from his official series origin is more logical and requires less licensing.

Nintendo has little reason to even buy Geno. A lot of the music in SMRPG is from FF, meaning that even if they bought Geno, there's not much reason to ignore the other OC's too. Plus, do they really plan to use him? They clearly were able to get SMRPG for other things like VC, as well as his usage in Smash. So it doesn't do much as is. If they could buy out SMRPG, that'd be neat, but it still contains stuff that isn't original game content(as noted, FF content is actually in the game), so it's far more difficult than it could be.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
The Source Gaming article also states that Sakurai was limited when it came to adding new content. I wonder if this extends to Geno, so the Spirit is consolation?

I also didn’t know Simon/Castlevania places high on the ballot. I wonder if this means Geno didn’t place as high as I thought....

Also, not to be super negative, but if Geno doesn’t make it in this time around, despite Sakurai’s statements last game, his presence on Nintendo’s Twitter, and game show, and his presence in an overwhelming amount of leaks, as well as blogs and websites asking for his inclusion, the im not expecting Geno in any Smash game after ultimate. I think it would feel stale. Even if there was another Smash game after this, that’s about 5-10 years away and I would have then been waiting like 30 years for one character and honestly the novelty would probably have lost its luster by then. If they don’t put him in, even with all these things i his favor, it would show that either Nintendo or Square don’t care for the character at all, or his demand.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
He's still a Mario character. Giving him a new symbol would require more licensing to use a symbol Square-Enix created. Using his official symbol from his official series origin is more logical and requires less licensing.

Nintendo has little reason to even buy Geno. A lot of the music in SMRPG is from FF, meaning that even if they bought Geno, there's not much reason to ignore the other OC's too. Plus, do they really plan to use him? They clearly were able to get SMRPG for other things like VC, as well as his usage in Smash. So it doesn't do much as is. If they could buy out SMRPG, that'd be neat, but it still contains stuff that isn't original game content(as noted, FF content is actually in the game), so it's far more difficult than it could be.
Except Culex and his theme , I don't think there is any FF content in SMRPG.

And It's a secret boss , he could be replaced by , like , Ganondorf !

But yeah , this would make buying SMRPG rights more complicated.

And the only reason they could buy SMRPG rights is for rebooting the Mario RPGs in my opinion.
Since Paper Mario lost focus and became very gimmicky (and the 2 last games were badly recievied) and M&L is doing his second remake , and after Superstar Saga , all M&L games were designed around the DS/3DS. So a Partners in Time remake for the Switch is out of the question , and Dream Team/Paper Jam aren't either.

D

Deleted member

What FF music is in SMRPG?

Or do you only mean the Culex battle theme?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
From what I've read, only the Culex stuff is from Final Fantasy.

I just checked some moments ago, and only 3 tracks are rearrangements of Final Fantasy themes: the battle with Culex, the conversation with him (either before or after his battle), and the victory theme when you beat him.

link2702

Smash Champion
“Technically” culex isn’t even ff, as he was an original character created entirely for smrpg, just heavily based on a typical ff enemy

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Except Culex and his theme , I don't think there is any FF content in SMRPG.

And It's a secret boss , he could be replaced by , like , Ganondorf !

But yeah , this would make buying SMRPG rights more complicated.

And the only reason they could buy SMRPG rights is for rebooting the Mario RPGs in my opinion.
Since Paper Mario lost focus and became very gimmicky (and the 2 last games were badly recievied) and M&L is doing his second remake , and after Superstar Saga , all M&L games were designed around the DS/3DS. So a Partners in Time remake for the Switch is out of the question , and Dream Team/Paper Jam aren't either.
Nintendo is more interested in keeping the Mario & Luigi games like traditional rpg's, so SMRPG wouldn't really matter here. Buying it wouldn't do much.

And yeah, the Culex stuff. Square-Enix made the original game, so they own all the original content. Remaking the game is probably a lot more complicated than just buying the rights alone. Unless Nintendo offers ton of money, and is willing to make it into another full spin-off series, it's not much worth it. It'd be cheaper to buy out Geno and Mallow only at this point, but there's no reason to believe they'd much use the characters, so it's a net loss for them too. Buying out something from a company means they intend to use and profit off of it. Right now, them just having it on stuff like VC and the SNES Mini is the best move to do. Otherwise they'd have to shove SMRPG content into a lot of stuff as is. A funny thing about ip's. In many cases, you can't buy 'em out unless you actually use 'em. Buying for the sake of buying isn't allowed in all of the world.

D

Deleted member

The Source Gaming article also states that Sakurai was limited when it came to adding new content. I wonder if this extends to Geno, so the Spirit is consolation?

I also didn’t know Simon/Castlevania places high on the ballot. I wonder if this means Geno didn’t place as high as I thought....

Also, not to be super negative, but if Geno doesn’t make it in this time around, despite Sakurai’s statements last game, his presence on Nintendo’s Twitter, and game show, and his presence in an overwhelming amount of leaks, as well as blogs and websites asking for his inclusion, the im not expecting Geno in any Smash game after ultimate. I think it would feel stale. Even if there was another Smash game after this, that’s about 5-10 years away and I would have then been waiting like 30 years for one character and honestly the novelty would probably have lost its luster by then. If they don’t put him in, even with all these things i his favor, it would show that either Nintendo or Square don’t care for the character at all, or his demand.
If Geno isn't DLC in Ultimate, it shows Square Enix doesn't care, not Nintendo. Again, with SMRPG on the SNES Classic, the SMRPG discussion in 2015, the tweet from NoA "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?", and the HQ trivia question, Nintendo does care about Geno, no matter if he makes it into Ultimate or not. It's SE that wouldn't care. They already have the rights to both Geno AND Mallow anyways, as shown by the spirits

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth Nintendo could use Geno and Mallow in the Mario sports games, the Mario and Luigi games, Smash, and can implement them into the mainline Mario series. Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity made a post, showing a very interesting way Geno can be implemented into Mario Odyssey. There's so much you can do with the puppet possessed by a star and the cloud puff, Nintendo would make many fans happy

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
“Technically” culex isn’t even ff, as he was an original character created entirely for smrpg, just heavily based on a typical ff enemy
It's more that it uses actual Final Fantasy music, which Square doesn't own. A different composer owns the music.

So that requires a lot more discussion to remove the music alone. The rest of the stuff is owned by Square but are original characters, not literal Final Fantasy characters, so Nintendo could buy it out if they wanted to. As long as they could remove or put new music in that place, it's all good.

I've noted why in my previous post it's not necessarily worth the tons of buyout money, though. As cool as it would be, buying out something like this is a ton of content, and they need to be guaranteed they can continue the product and make money off of it. Loss or not, if they can't remake the game and do something with the IP at the very least, it's not worth the buyout.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

As far as polls on the internet go, Geno was in the top 5 in basically every poll. Simon was usually in the top 10 of 3rd party characters. Most of these polls didn't include a ton of Japanese results, but I think it's a pretty reasonable indication of who actually was highly requested. Including the fact that K Rool won, which nobody is surprised by.

EDIT: I was remembering wrong. Geno was the #2 3rd party in the Japan-based polls, which there were less of. Combining all the polls together, he was the 6th place 3rd party. Geno is significantly more popular in Japan than America though, so if there were more Japan polls included he'd almost certainly be way higher. The #1 third party in Japan was snake, by the way.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If Nintendo did in fact buy Geno from SE, that would make him no longer third party, making the absence of his Mii costume more perplexing
I don't think anything changed with Geno's licensing. Square Enix's name being mentioned on the front alone covers Geno's existence in Smash Bros. If we went by the Superstar Saga way of covering characters, they would be listing individuals characters out all the way through the credits.

If Geno isn't DLC in Ultimate, it shows Square Enix doesn't care, not Nintendo. Again, with SMRPG on the SNES Classic, the SMRPG discussion in 2015, the tweet from NoA "Are you team Mallow or team Geno?", and the HQ trivia question, Nintendo does care about Geno, no matter if he makes it into Ultimate or not. It's SE that wouldn't care. They already have the rights to both Geno AND Mallow anyways, as shown by the spirits
I am still waiting to see video of the Trivia Question or for lack of better terms 'proof' of Nintendo mentioning Geno through a trivia question during the Game Awards.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Nintendo is more interested in keeping the Mario & Luigi games like traditional rpg's, so SMRPG wouldn't really matter here. Buying it wouldn't do much.

And yeah, the Culex stuff. Square-Enix made the original game, so they own all the original content. Remaking the game is probably a lot more complicated than just buying the rights alone. Unless Nintendo offers ton of money, and is willing to make it into another full spin-off series, it's not much worth it. It'd be cheaper to buy out Geno and Mallow only at this point, but there's no reason to believe they'd much use the characters, so it's a net loss for them too. Buying out something from a company means they intend to use and profit off of it. Right now, them just having it on stuff like VC and the SNES Mini is the best move to do. Otherwise they'd have to shove SMRPG content into a lot of stuff as is. A funny thing about ip's. In many cases, you can't buy 'em out unless you actually use 'em. Buying for the sake of buying isn't allowed in all of the world.
I remember AlphaDream saying that they would be interested by Geno and Mallow and would like to use them in future titles.

And as Zack. E. said , they could be used in most Mario multiplayers spin-off. Also Smash , and could manage to give him a big role in a Mario Galaxy 3(If that would ever happen) and other Mario RPGs.
But yeah , It's still a net loss if they have nothing planned for them.

The simplest way to gain profit from SMRPG is VC and SNES Mini(as you said) right now. But Geno and Mallow has potential to grow , I think it depend on how much money SE would want , and Nintendo interest.

D

Deleted member

I don't think anything changed with Geno's licensing. Square Enix's name being mentioned on the front alone covers Geno's existence in Smash Bros. If we went by the Superstar Saga way of covering characters, they would be listing individuals characters out all the way through the credits.

I am still waiting to see video of the Trivia Question or for lack of better terms 'proof'
That's just assuming, though. It's a possibility, but it could also be a possibility that they did buy Geno

And for the trivia question, these posts explain it:

I’ll be honest, the Nintendo-sponsored HQ questions having Geno as a focal point basically confirms Geno for me. There’s no reason to have him as the focus of a sponsored question-answer than to prop him up. And why prop up an old forgotten character, getting him more in the public consciousness, unless there’s some content coming.

For those who don’t know, HQ is a mobile trivia game, and is not related to the rest of the non-mobile gaming industry in general. Nintendo sponsored some trivia questions and “Super Mario RPG” was the answer to “What game has a possessed doll as a playable character?” After the question, HQ gave the answer, adding that Geno was the name of the possessed doll.

Really the takeaway is not, “why did Nintendo choose Geno as sponsored trivia”, it’s “why did Nintendo choose Geno instead of picking any other trivia that they could have chosen”.

Further, under the paradigm that the trivia is SMRPG, why choose Geno over Mallow, Smithy, collecting the 7 stars to repair star road, Boshi, timed-hits, super jumps, Booster, Culex, etc—it’s because Geno is the most iconic non-Mario universe part of SMRPG, maybe second to the huge sword in Peach’s Castle.

I doubt this is all to sell another Geno Mii costume. Unless there’s instead a remake or rerelease of SMRPG coming, this means playable Geno in Smash.

Sorry to the detracters, I’m just super confident now and won’t believe he’s not in unless it’s 100% doubtlessly confirmed. But I don’t expect that, I expect Geno now. Now it’s just the waiting.
It a mobile trivia app, totally unrelated to gaming in general. A few times a day they have like 10 questions and if you get to the end, you split the pot with whoever else got to the end. Sometimes a lot of people get to the end and everyone wins like 80 cents. Sometimes it's like 3 and they all get $100.

Link to the Nintendo sponsored trivia game for HQ:

https://hqbuff.com/us/game/2018-12-06/3

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember AlphaDream saying that they would be interested by Geno and Mallow and would like to use them in future titles.

And as Zack. E. said , they could be used in most Mario multiplayers spin-off. Also Smash , and could manage to give him a big role in a Mario Galaxy 3(If that would ever happen) and other Mario RPGs.
But yeah , It's still a net loss if they have nothing planned for them.

The simplest way to gain profit from SMRPG is VC and SNES Mini(as you said) right now. But Geno and Mallow has potential to grow , I think it depend on how much money SE would want , and Nintendo interest.
AlphaDream still fall under Nintendo and need their permission to do so. Nintendo weren't willing to license Geno for the Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake either. So there's not much reason to believe they're willing to license or buy him out for that. SMRPG being on the mini is very different as you need to license the whole game or nothing.

Also, I doubt SE would only sell Geno and Mallow either. This means they have to pay Nintendo extra cash to use their own characters. This is why an all or nothing is the more likely scenario. It's a lot more complicated that wanting one character.

At the very least, they got permission to use Geno and Mallow's pictures in Ultimate. We might see more than that, especially if we get the Mii costume back.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
AlphaDream still fall under Nintendo and need their permission to do so. Nintendo weren't willing to license Geno for the Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga remake either. So there's not much reason to believe they're willing to license or buy him out for that. SMRPG being on the mini is very different as you need to license the whole game or nothing.

Also, I doubt SE would only sell Geno and Mallow either. This means they have to pay Nintendo extra cash to use their own characters. This is why an all or nothing is the more likely scenario. It's a lot more complicated that wanting one character.

At the very least, they got permission to use Geno and Mallow's pictures in Ultimate. We might see more than that, especially if we get the Mii costume back.
Yeah , getting the Geno Mii costume back show that SE is , at least , willing to let Geno have more representation in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Yeah , getting the Geno Mii costume back show that SE is , at least , willing to let Geno have more representation in Smash.
No. Playable Geno is what we need.

PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON Geno has more popularity in America than Japan, actually. He is top 5 in North America, and while not that high in Japan, still stop 20. He's highly requested everywhere

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Which doesn't mean much beyond that, of course. Which is likely, yeah. Whether or not he's playable fully? Who knows.

You mean want. I'd love him playable too, but it's still a want, really.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't really see why they couldn't buy the whole SMRPG game, but replace the Final Fantasy stuff with Ganon or Zero (Kirby) or some other villain.

Unless Square is really just like "No, you can't use this Mario game unless you use the Final Fantasy stuff in it as well."

The fact that Square even owns any part of a Mario game - while the original characters Rare created for DK are still owned by Nintendo - feels weird.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth Nintendo could use Geno and Mallow in the Mario sports games, the Mario and Luigi games, Smash, and can implement them into the mainline Mario series. Sovereign Trinity Sovereign Trinity made a post, showing a very interesting way Geno can be implemented into Mario Odyssey. There's so much you can do with the puppet possessed by a star and the cloud puff, Nintendo would make many fans happy
Piggy backing off of this. It’s so weird to me if the narrative is to be believed that they worry how well Geno or Mallow would do in the long run. In an era of remakes and reboots, given Geno’s fan demand, this would be a perfect opportunity. Also, how does one think a living cloud and a doll wouldn’t be great marketing material for toys and figurines??

As far as polls on the internet go, Geno was in the top 5 in basically every poll. Simon was usually in the top 10 of 3rd party characters. Most of these polls didn't include a ton of Japanese results, but I think it's a pretty reasonable indication of who actually was highly requested. Including the fact that K Rool won, which nobody is surprised by.

EDIT: I was remembering wrong. Geno was the #2 3rd party in the Japan-based polls, which there were less of. Combining all the polls together, he was the 6th place 3rd party. Geno is significantly more popular in Japan than America though, so if there were more Japan polls included he'd almost certainly be way higher. The #1 third party in Japan was snake, by the way.
This is strange, as I would think Geno is more popular in America, but that makes sense.

Wouldn’t Nintendo have to go to SE to get the rights to put SMRPG on the Classic? Why did they choose SMRPG and not DQ or Crono Trigger? Is it because SMRPG is a Mario property?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, only way I'd be disappointed is if his costume doesn't come back. Not as sweet as playable. I mean, I won't pretend he's my most wanted Mario characters not playable yet either. But he'd be cool and he's fun in his home series too.

Regardless, costume or playable, or both, it'd be sweet either way~

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON Geno has more popularity in America than Japan, actually. He is top 5 in North America, and while not that high in Japan, still stop 20. He's highly requested everywhere
Not according to these polls. If you don't believe me. Geno is highly requested everywhere, yeah. A recent poll from Japan on "who do you want to see in Smash" (this was after the nov 1 direct) had Bandana Dee as #1, and Geno as like #3 I think, so I wouldn't say this sheet is innacurate either.

Xigger

Smash Lord
All this talk about Mii costumes and money puts me in the mood for tinfoil conspiracy time.

My conspiracy theory; One of the DLC slots is a slot reserved for a TBD character, based on best-selling Mii costumes.

That is all.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I have sometimes had similar thoughts regarding Geno in the sense of whether Nintendo would actually use him if they bought the SMRPG rights. They have a ton of side characters from the rpg games that are never used again. That said I still feel like Geno is a different case just because of his popularity. And you can see that they recognize this considering the way he’s been brought up in social media and whatnot. I think of any RPG character he’d be someone they’d integrate into the more mainline Mario games.

D

Deleted member

tbh I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't use mii costumes lol

Like despite him being my most wanted before his deconfirmation I still don't use the Rex costume bc I think miis look ugly, are boring, and I don't like their playstyle lol

Like why use a mii brawler/gunner/swordfighter that's dressed as a character I want when I could just play an actual character I like who fits those archetypes who's already in the game

D

Deleted member

It's funny that the two most notable characters now with Mii costumes in Smash 4 and who Sakurai spoke very highly of are Lloyd and Geno. These two characters had massive support during the Brawl days, then the support decreased after Brawl. People kinda gave up on them, until they both received Mii costumes in Smash 4. In the article in 2016, Sakurai spoke very highly of both of them, and they are pretty likely for DLC. It would be cool to have both of them after all of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom