• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
I will add; A "22nd Anniversary" is a pretty weird thing to celebrate for a supposedly irrelevant character. You at least think they'd wait for 25 or somthing.... a more notable milestone.
IIRC, it was the most retweeted Tweet Nintendo got i think, but i'm not sure.

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Okay I just skimmed it the first time when I replied, but I sat and read that whole gamefaqs leak, and yeah that's most likely fake. While it's not impossible to get all 5 revealed, if you read it and the guys responses it's pretty obvious it's most likely not real. But as I always say with leaks, who knows?

Also I'm having a little trouble keeping up, but with the whole Sephiroth being more appealing than Geno thing I have to say this. Datboigeno is right, as in the votes don't lie. Geno is more likely to satisfy Nintendo fans. You know, the ones that are buying this crossover for NINTENDO.

Look at it like this. If I was requesting a character for say, Marvel Vs. Capcom. And the argument was Sephiroth Vs. Asura. Most people are gonna want Asura, because it's a crossover for Capcom and Marvel fans. Same applies here. Is Sephiroth a big deal? Of course. Would people be happy with more FF7? Probably. Is he a bigger deal to the Nintendo fans buying Smash than Geno? I mean you tell me. They both would be good though

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't get the whole ''THEN WHY WASN'T HE IN BASE GAME." people throw around about Geno when it comes to the Square reps.

Same reason that Sora, Erdrick, Sephiroth, whoever wasn't.

Square. Wants. And. Likes. Money.

Disney too, in the off chance it's Sora.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
That was one tweet though. You can't compare that to the dozens of Mario games and JRPGs that Geno could have made appearances on but didn't, for who knows what reason
Again, probably a Square thing. But as of recently, Square and Nintendo's relationship has been thriving and healthy. If Nintendo forgot about Geno this tweet wouldn't have existed. And like you said yourself, YOU've even heard of Geno this speculation cycle. We can't assume big offices like Nintendo have blinders on to what fans want, because thats potential buyers. That's money. Not to mention that tweet is one of their most popular tweets, like ever. Geno was technically in the last Smash game too so.

Then why was he not in the base game? Why was he limited to a spirit and Mii costume?
Probably money or timing. But why was Geno picked for the Mii Costume and not any other potential reps? Why not Sora? Why not Erdrick? Why not Sephiroth?

Lets also not forget that Konami was the only 3rd party to get a second rep in the base game outside of echoes. The other echo is Richter. why do we think that is??? MONEYYYYYYY

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Then why was he not in the base game? Why was he limited to a spirit and Mii costume?
I don't know why you're asking me; I'm not Sakurai lol. But like others have pointed it it's likely for Square's profits through DLC.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Okay I just skimmed it the first time when I replied, but I sat and read that whole gamefaqs leak, and yeah that's most likely fake. While it's not impossible to get all 5 revealed, if you read it and the guys responses it's pretty obvious it's most likely not real. But as I always say with leaks, who knows?

Also I'm having a little trouble keeping up, but with the whole Sephiroth being more appealing than Geno thing I have to say this. Datboigeno is right, as in the votes don't lie. Geno is more likely to satisfy Nintendo fans. You know, the ones that are buying this crossover for NINTENDO.

Look at it like this. If I was requesting a character for say, Marvel Vs. Capcom. And the argument was Sephiroth Vs. Asura. Most people are gonna want Asura, because it's a crossover for Capcom and Marvel fans. Same applies here. Is Sephiroth a big deal? Of course. Would people be happy with more FF7? Probably. Is he a bigger deal to the Nintendo fans buying Smash than Geno? I mean you tell you me. They both would be good though
This is irrelevant; but I've really started to warm up to you man, lmao. No hard feelings for anything aggressive I may have said towards you lol. There are far worse way's to be a skeptic xD.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Jeez, why is this thread always so heated? I mean, I know why but yikes...

Mentioning Ninten there is basically a death sentence. I'm not sure what's up with the culture over there, but maaaan, they love ****ing on people with a slightly different opinion.
Basically, if your character is not in Smash, they're garbage in their eyes. They also worship the "most likely" characters (Steve, Katalina, Sylux etc). It's just one gaint cesspool of hate and malice.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I never said others don't have a right to do that though. You still can't get around the fact that you're harming an entire team of people when they did nothing wrong. You're free to do it but you're still doing it. lol
Nobody within that company is entitled to my or anyone else's money. I won't lose sleep over not buying a product because I don't support an aspect of it. It's not like I'm calling for dragon quest as a whole to be discontinued and for everyone to be fired. But I'm making it known, with MY money, that I don't support the guy that makes their music.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, why is this thread always so heated? I mean, I know why but yikes...

Mentioning Ninten there is basically a death sentence. I'm not sure what's up with the culture over there, but maaaan, they love ****ing on people with a slightly different opinion.

It's just they way the internet as a whole has pretty much always been.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
That was one tweet though. You can't compare that to the dozens of Mario games and JRPGs that Geno could have made appearances on but didn't, for who knows what reason
The reason is that SE owns the rights to the character/SMRPG. That is literally the reason why he counts as a SE rep and hasn't shown up again for decades. Did you not know this?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Basically, if your character is not in Smash, they're garbage in their eyes. They also worship the "most likely" characters (Steve, Katalina, Sylux etc). It's just one gaint cesspool of hate and malice.
That's actually a good point and is pretty accurate. I just wish I knew what makes people think like this I guess.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Nah, Political Islam on Disqus is a cesspool of hate and malice. I'm legitimately worried that they're going to try to organize an anti-Muslim Holocaust.

I'd provide a link, as I'm trying to serve as a bulwark of logic, sanity, reason, and compassion against the endless torrents of hate over there and could use some help... but I'd rather not expose anybody to said endless torrents of hate.

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Nobody within that company is entitled to my or anyone else's money. I won't lose sleep over not buying a product because I don't support an aspect of it. It's not like I'm calling for dragon quest as a whole to be discontinued and for everyone to be fired. But I'm making it known, with MY money, that I don't support the guy that makes their music.
I never said they were. In fact I went out of my way to say "You're free to do that". I've always been a free market guy but I think it's dumb for people to act like they have some moral high ground over it.

Last edited:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
This is irrelevant; but I've really started to warm up to you man, lmao. No hard feelings for anything aggressive I may have said towards you lol. There are far worse way's to be a skeptic xD.
Thanks! You seem pretty cool yourself lol. Always loved the Squidward avatar

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
The reason is that SE owns the rights to the character/SMRPG. That is literally the reason why he counts as a SE rep and hasn't shown up again for decades. Did you not know this?
When I said JRPGs, I was talking about SE JRPGs. And yes I know that he's a SE character and not owned by Nintendo

paper roxy

Smash Ace
sometimes i feel like the people in the smash community that a game is a product, not a service. sure, it can be a work of art and be a labor of love, but its still a product.

Rummy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dr.Rummy
Switch FC
7820-4094-4523
I personally don't expect any DLC announcements at the VGAs, but i can be surprised. I just think a lot of the tweets are mare coincidences. Unless we see Sakurai pop up around Geoff or around The Microsoft Center (Where VGA is being held) then i'm pretty much only expecting Metroid News.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
When I said JRPGs, I was talking about SE JRPGs. And yes I know that he's a SE character and not owned by Nintendo
Yeah but you also said "dozens of Mario games". That's why it seemed like you weren't aware. What incentive would SE have to put him in a non-Mario game?

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
That doesn't apply to everyone though. I love plenty of videogame characters that aren't in Smash. All of my most wanted characters will never be in Smash and I know that. I don't worship the "most likely" characters either

Dynamic Worlok

I never said they were. In fact I went out of my way to say "You're free to do that". I've always been a free market guy but I think it's dumb for people to act like they have some moral high ground over it.
Your statement that I'm hurting the innocent people working on the project by not buying suggests otherwise. Look, I'm not gonna say that people have to make the same decision I do, nor do I feel like anyone but me is tied to any moral obligation. I'm not gonna shame someone else for going out and buying even if I, politically don't agree, that's life.
I'm not moral grandstanding here or anything, just stating facts.

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
To those unfamiliar with Geno - I think it bears repeating this practice of sharing a special video from PapaGenos:
That doesn't apply to everyone though. I love plenty of videogame characters that aren't in Smash. All of my most wanted characters will never be in Smash and I know that. I don't worship the "most likely" characters either
I think they were talking about the atmosphere over on GameFAQs.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Yeah but you also said "dozens of Mario games". That's why it seemed like you weren't aware. What incentive would SE have to put him in a non-Mario game?
I'm just saying if SE really cared about Geno, wouldn't it make sense to put him in their own games? It's just the fact that they haven't makes me think they don't care about him much anymore

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
I was mainly referencing some people on GameFAQs, not everyone lol. Obviously not everyone acts like they do, they're just the uh...less pleasant part of the fanbase and don't make up the majority of it.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Your statement that I'm hurting the innocent people working on the project by not buying suggests otherwise. Look, I'm not gonna say that people have to make the same decision I do, nor do I feel like anyone but me is tied to any moral obligation. I'm not gonna shame someone else for going out and buying even if I, politically don't agree, that's life.
And that's fine. My statement wasn't in purely in response to you not buying it or doing w.e. you want with yur money. I just want it to be acknowledged that when people don't want someones work in or don't buy it because of one person. That one person isn't the only one caught in the crossfire. For example I'm not buying Smash on release or even new. Purely because my most wanted didn't get into the base roster. It's my money and I'm free to do that, but that decision doesn't just "hurt" Sakurai.

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I was mainly referencing some people on GameFAQs, not everyone lol. Obviously not everyone acts like they do, they're just the uh...less pleasant part of the fanbase and don't make up the majority of it.
Oh I thought you were talking about the people in this thread

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
I'm just saying if SE really cared about Geno, wouldn't it make sense to put him in their own games? It's just the fact that they haven't makes me think they don't care about him much anymore
You don't seem to understand, what a Fan Favourite is.
Remember the Nomura-Sakurai Interview? lmao

paper roxy

Smash Ace
thats like asking why wario isnt in zelda if nintendo cares about him so much

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
You don’t have to worship Geno, but just uh, don’t come into the Geno thread and not expect us to defend him. No ones saying Geno is most likely, just that there’s strong evidence that points to his potential inclusion and we want that.

Lets keep in mind that SMRPG was Nintendo letting Square make a Mario game. He still belongs to the Mario universe, but he’s designed by SE so it’s a bit of a limbo. Where would Geno fit in any other SE property? It’s not a matter of care, it’s a matter of properties. That’s why Geno’s Mii Costume is in Wii U, it’s a Nintendo game where the Mario franchise is featured.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

And that's fine. My statement wasn't in response to you not buying it or w.e. I just want it to be acknowledged that when people don't want someones work in because of one person. That one person isn't the only one caught in the crossfire. For example I'm not buying Smash on release or even new. Purely because my most wanted didn't get into the base roster. It's my money and I'm free to do that, but that decision doesn't just "hurt" Sakurai.
I'm aware of this, and that's an unfortunate reality of working as a company. I'm not out to get the other people because I don't like one of their number, but if not buying the product is the only way I can send a message, then what recourse do I have?

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Lets keep in mind that SMRPG was Nintendo letting Square make a Mario game. He still belongs to the Mario universe, but he’s designed by SE so it’s a bit of a limbo. Where would Geno fit in any other SE property? It’s not a matter of care, it’s a matter of properties. That’s why Geno’s Mii Costume is in Wii U, it’s a Nintendo game where the Mario franchise is featured.
While I do agree with you 100 %, why wasn't Geno in SE X Mario crossovers like Fortune Street or the Mario sports mix?

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
To those unfamiliar with Geno - I think it bears repeating this practice of sharing a special video from PapaGenos:

I think they were talking about the atmosphere over on GameFAQs.
I almost wish there were a pop-up of that video that people have to watch completely before commenting in the thread.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
But that still doesn't explain why SE doesn't put Geno in any of their games
probably because geno is a mario character and square doesnt make mario games
I almost wish there were a pop-up of that video that people have to watch completely before commenting in the thread.
they have to pass a quiz about the video before commenting too, lol

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
To you they may have underdelivered, but I don't think they underdelivered at all. This looks like it's gonna be the best Smash game by far, so to me this game looks very fitting to have the title of Ultimate
For me they underdelivered , and not with characters or reveals like that.

Online , despise some noticable improvements , is way more complicated (the battle Arena , I understand it , but only after watching it 3 times and comparing it to Sm4sh , and has some unanswered questions such as when I chose my rules , if squad strike available , ect...) and won't have a better connection. (They litteraly told us "Get a LAN adaptor" so I'm worried.)

Squad strike is a great mode that we didn't know the mechanics of. I shouldn't watch a leak video to understand how it work , I should watch the official stuff and understand right away with gameplay footage.

Spirits has such a randomized and FE Heroes vibe to it that I honestly kind of hate. Sure , all theses Spirits battles are very inventives... But it just seem that they weren't a good "replacement" for trophies. Sure , I understand why they were removed , but it was still an amazing way to encounter character you wouldn't even have before.
Now it's more like "Oh , this spirit is that power , too weak , don't need anymore. Here woomy XL , my Inkling amiibo , take it.".

I won't continue despise other problems (the lack of rewards that truly matter besides characters we already know , the removal of all-star and homerun contest , some gameplay elements , ect...) but my point is that I was disapointed with several aspects of Ultimate , and others people were too. Beeing characters or other stuff.

Were we asking too much with the grinch leak ? In my opinion , yes.

Was asking for ONE more character a la Ridley or K Rool too much to ask for ? No.
They ended on Plant , a joke character. We know they couldn't have someone like Geno or banjo in base , and why Isaac couldn't be playable. But they had , BWD , as an example.

Tl;dr : we're still customers buying a 70 dollars priced game , alongside 30/25 dollars of unknowed paid DLC.
That's why the "It's the best Smash game by far" argument annoy me , and it seem that It's often used as a way to say "Well , you can't get everything".
This isn't against you (I'm sure you said it as a way to keep positivity , wich is good) , and I don't want to derail the thread , but please remember that we aren't going to all be satisfied with Ultimate (Despise looking like a very good game) and that's why some people want their characters as DLC.
Not saying you said "You didn't get your character , get over it" but I think that you didn't know a lot of people wich weren't satisfied with the game.

Anyway , Sorry for the long post , I'll try to stay more on topics for future posts.

Here's an odd question - if Geno gets in, how do you imagine he'll sound voiced? I've never really thought about this before but I thought it'd be fun to throw it out there. There are lots of characters in Smash like Ness and Lucas who were given voices for the first time despite being from text-only games.

He's a puppet boi so it's weird to think how he could sound. Even if he doesn't talk words or anything, I figure he's gotta make grunts when he hits or gets hit.

What do you think?
I think that using the original sound effects from SMRPG would be a great way to make him stand out rather than a voice.

Especially since SMRPG timed hits sound effect have a very satisfying feel to it. And since he's pretty much a retro character , I think all theses sound effect will add to that retro charm.

But not gonna lie , hearing him scream "Geno Whiiiiiirl" would be epic.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I'm aware of this, and that's an unfortunate reality of working as a company. I'm not out to get the other people because I don't like one of their number, but if not buying the product is the only way I can send a message, then what recourse do I have?
Sadly there isn't one until he keels over. And I'm perfectly fine with you doing what you want with your money. If you don't want to support him (and I don't blame you) Then don't. I just think a lot of people need to be aware how their boycott affects others those caught in the crossfire. Honestly I wish Yuji would just drop him (his music has been going down in quality lately ) but I'm willing to bet there's contractual BS that we aren't aware of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom