• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
While I do agree with you 100 %, why wasn't Geno in SE X Mario crossovers like Fortune Street or the Mario sports mix?
I think this might be more a case of square deciding the lineup, than nintendo. That's not to say nintendo would automatically choose Geno were they in control of the lineup, but if it's square's decision, then it's 100% that Geno won't compare favorably to square's own proprietary characters.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
But that still doesn't explain why SE doesn't put Geno in any of their games
The point has been brought up before but SMRPG is a perfect representation of the relationship SE and Nintendo once had. For a very long time that relationship was not good. So why would SE independently give a cameo to a character that represented that bad relationship?

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I think this might be more a case of square deciding the lineup, than nintendo. That's not to say nintendo would automatically choose Geno were they in control of the lineup, but if it's square's decision, then it's 100% that Geno won't compare favorably to square's own proprietary characters.
That actually makes a lot of sense given that all the games I mentioned were SE developed. If only Nintendo had more pull with those games, maybe we'd see Geno more.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
For me they underdelivered , and not with characters or reveals like that.

Online , despise some noticable improvements , is way more complicated (the battle Arena , I understand it , but only after watching it 3 times and comparing it to Sm4sh , and has some unanswered questions such as when I chose my rules , if squad strike available , ect...) and won't have a better connection. (They litteraly told us "Get a LAN adaptor" so I'm worried.)

Squad strike is a great mode that we didn't know the mechanics of. I shouldn't watch a leak video to understand how it work , I should watch the official stuff and understand right away with gameplay footage.

Spirits has such a randomized and FE Heroes vibe to it that I honestly kind of hate. Sure , all theses Spirits battles are very inventives... But it just seem that they weren't a good "replacement" for trophies. Sure , I understand why they were removed , but it was still an amazing way to encounter character you wouldn't even have before.
Now it's more like "Oh , this spirit is that power , too weak , don't need anymore. Here woomy XL , my Inkling amiibo , take it.".

I won't continue despise other problems (the lack of rewards that truly matter besides characters we already know , the removal of all-star and homerun contest , some gameplay elements , ect...) but my point is that I was disapointed with several aspects of Ultimate , and others people were too. Beeing characters or other stuff.

Were we asking too much with the grinch leak ? In my opinion , yes.

Was asking for ONE more character a la Ridley or K Rool too much to ask for ? No.
They ended on Plant , a joke character. We know they couldn't have someone like Geno or banjo in base , and why Isaac couldn't be playable. But they had , BWD , as an example.

Tl;dr : we're still customers buying a 70 dollars priced game , alongside 30/25 dollars of unknowed paid DLC.
That's why the "It's the best Smash game by far" argument annoy me , and it seem that It's often used as a way to say "Well , you can't get everything".
This isn't against you (I'm sure you said it as a way to keep positivity , wich is good) , and I don't want to derail the thread , but please remember that we aren't going to all be satisfied with Ultimate (Despise looking like a very good game) and that's why some people want their characters as DLC.
Not saying you said "You didn't get your character , get over it" but I think that you didn't know a lot of people wich weren't satisfied with the game.

Anyway , Sorry for the long post , I'll try to stay more on topics for future posts.

I think that using the original sound effects from SMRPG would be a great way to make him stand out rather than a voice.

Especially since SMRPG timed hits sound effect have a very satisfying feel to it. And since he's pretty much a retro character , I think all theses sound effect will add to that retro charm.

But not gonna lie , hearing him scream "Geno Whiiiiiirl" would be epic.
I can understand why you're upset, and why a lot of people are. But to me, all these flaws that you pointed out, especially spirits mode, are great additions in my eyes. I love the idea of this new replacement for trophies. And although I would've wanted more characters, I understand why we only got the amount we did, considering all the content in the game. And PP makes a lot of sense, as Sakurai pointed out when talking about PP in his interview. I think it's a perfectly fine addition. After all, we can't have every unique newcomer be a fan favorite that the hardcore Smash fans want. PP brings a good balance to the roster

6eyondthegrave

Smash Apprentice
I'm just saying if SE really cared about Geno, wouldn't it make sense to put him in their own games? It's just the fact that they haven't makes me think they don't care about him much anymore
Or at least work with Nintendo to make a remake or sequel

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
But that still doesn't explain why SE doesn't put Geno in any of their games
While I do agree with you 100 %, why wasn't Geno in SE X Mario crossovers like Fortune Street or the Mario sports mix?
Again. Geno belongs to the Mario universe. It would make no sense asking Nintendo to put him in Dragon Quest or FF outside of something like a guest appearance. Especially if, at the time, a hypothetical game wasn’t even going to be going to a Nintendo console

As for Fortune Street and Mario Mix, uh, looking at the characters, Fortune Street seems to be strictly Dragon Quest x Mario as opposed to Square x Nintendo. Which makes sense. Crossing over two important vital franchises. Additionally wasn’t this JP only? Makes more sense.
With Mario Hoops/Sports Mix, if you look at the characters, they don’t pick any notable or even named characters. The closest you get are Slime, Moogle, and Cactuar which are all mascots or general enemies at best. The closest thing they get to an actual character are Black Mage and White Mage. Cloud didn’t even make it in these games. It could be a design choice, but given the criteria why would Geno?

It also could be getting the rights to the IP holders as well and if they couldn’t that’s what may have forced them to pick “generic” characters which, I’m kind of relieved then that Geno isn’t branded “generic” in this instance

Last edited:

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
Jeez, why is this thread always so heated? I mean, I know why but yikes...

Mentioning Ninten there is basically a death sentence. I'm not sure what's up with the culture over there, but maaaan, they love ****ing on people with a slightly different opinion.
GameFAQs has always kind of been a bit like this, although it used to be a bit more tame. I had a lot of great memories on there but it's definitely gotten worse in the last few years. I don't know exactly what attracted that type of behavior in the first place, but I do know something that sped up the process is that there seems to have been something of an exodus of the better users on there. Personally I got a bit tired of posting on there and so migrated over to the Reddit. I've lurked here for like a decade so I guess I've always more or less been here too. During the Smash Ultimate speculation cycle, I noticed a ton (a TON) of names that I recognized from GameFAQS starting to appear on Reddit. Not coincidentally, these people I was seeing were some of the people I respected the most on there. They were the more level-headed folk. I spoke to a few briefly when I saw them and the responses were pretty much universally "I got tired of all the BS on GameFAQs so I moved here".

So with the absence of the more level-headed people on GameFAQs to balance things out, the more toxic part of the community took over.

Those are just my observations, at least.

Also, in terms of "love ****ing on people with a slightly different opinion", just ask that one poor Dark Pit fan that used to be on GameFAQs during the Smash 4 days. I remember his name but won't post it so as not to potentially have people go bother him. Anyways, this poor ****ing dude lmao. He was pretty much the only person who wanted Dark Pit in on there, and people gave him soooooo much **** for it before DP got revealed/leaked. Admittedly, I dismissed him a few times as well, although I never engaged in the harassment, it was more like responding to him "not gonna happen lol" a few times. Anyways, he put up with it for the entire Smash 4 pre-release cycle, and as you can imagine, there were a ton of people on the Smash Wii U board who ate **** when the ESRB leak came around and showed Dark Pit in the roster. He stuck to his guns as a Dark Pit fan and there ended up being some apologies being issued to this guy.

You had the people who never played KI:U and hated the very idea of the character just because he had "Dark" in front of the name and they were especially toxic about it. Even the KI:U fans were dismissive because even though they knew Dark Pit could very well be made into a unique character, Sakurai would most likely make him into a clone. This user always tried to present arguments for why Dark Pit could be a good and unique addition, but I'm not bluffing when I say that he was the only person I ever saw on there who wanted Dark Pit in the game. And he got what he wanted, I guess

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
I'm just saying if SE really cared about Geno, wouldn't it make sense to put him in their own games? It's just the fact that they haven't makes me think they don't care about him much anymore
They can't because Geno's Story is way too connected to the Mario World.

He's a star from Star Road wich possess a doll from Gaz , a young Toad.

His backstory depend on Star Road , a Nintendo location , and his present depend of Rose Town and his interactions with Mario and SMRPG characters.

His concept as a character can't be used in another SE game , except if they make a New location like "Wish Land" and that he possess a doll that isn't named or ressemble the Geno doll from a regular kiddo.

And well , most people love Geno because of the puppet's design , his personnality , ect... It would feel weird to see the star possess another unanimated object. It would be the star , not really Geno anymore.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427

His backstory depend on Star Road , a Nintendo location , and his present depend of Rose Town and his interactions with Mario and SMRPG characters.

His concept as a character can't be used in another SE game , except if they make a New location like "Wish Land" and that he possess a doll that isn't named or ressemble the Geno doll from a regular kiddo.

And well , most people love Geno because of the puppet's design , his personnality , ect... It would feel weird to see the star possess another unanimated object. It would be the star , not really Geno anymore.
If they wanted, they could be creative and make something work for a Geno game without having the Nintendo properties in it

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Leaker: *Post information in the Geno thread about Square-Enix rep that have 7 names*
Most of the people who post argument on this thread: *Post argument to remind everyone that Geno have a fierce competition and be cautionly optimistic no matter what because all characters have a big chance and worthy of smash*
People here: "URGH Why people who don't like Geno comes here? If it's only to downplay Geno"
Me: "I just like all characters on that list a tooons so idc who get in Pls be Crono tho"

I guess I'll just go and work on that S-E thread. Also daily reminder that most of the people coming here never said that Geno have no chance, and most of the time the contrary, they just said that y'all shouldn't just throw the others characters's chances away by showing that they all have a very decent chance and reminding you that there something else than "The smash bubble"

:4pacman:

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
GameFAQs has always kind of been a bit like this, although it used to be a bit more tame. I had a lot of great memories on there but it's definitely gotten worse in the last few years. I don't know exactly what attracted that type of behavior in the first place, but I do know something that sped up the process is that there seems to have been something of an exodus of the better users on there. Personally I got a bit tired of posting on there and so migrated over to the Reddit. I've lurked here for like a decade so I guess I've always more or less been here too. During the Smash Ultimate speculation cycle, I noticed a ton (a TON) of names that I recognized from GameFAQS starting to appear on Reddit. Not coincidentally, these people I was seeing were some of the people I respected the most on there. They were the more level-headed folk. I spoke to a few briefly when I saw them and the responses were pretty much universally "I got tired of all the BS on GameFAQs so I moved here".

So with the absence of the more level-headed people on GameFAQs to balance things out, the more toxic part of the community took over.

Those are just my observations, at least.

Also, in terms of "love ****ing on people with a slightly different opinion", just ask that one poor Dark Pit fan that used to be on GameFAQs during the Smash 4 days. I remember his name but won't post it so as not to potentially have people go bother him. Anyways, this poor ****ing dude lmao. He was pretty much the only person who wanted Dark Pit in on there, and people gave him soooooo much **** for it before DP got revealed/leaked. Admittedly, I dismissed him a few times as well, although I never engaged in the harassment, it was more like responding to him "not gonna happen lol" a few times. Anyways, he put up with it for the entire Smash 4 pre-release cycle, and as you can imagine, there were a ton of people on the Smash Wii U board who ate **** when the ESRB leak came around and showed Dark Pit in the roster. He stuck to his guns as a Dark Pit fan and there ended up being some apologies being issued to this guy.

You had the people who never played KI:U and hated the very idea of the character just because he had "Dark" in front of the name and they were especially toxic about it. Even the KI:U fans were dismissive because even though they knew Dark Pit could very well be made into a unique character, Sakurai would most likely make him into a clone. This user always tried to present arguments for why Dark Pit could be a good and unique addition, but I'm not bluffing when I say that he was the only person I ever saw on there who wanted Dark Pit in the game. And he got what he wanted, I guess
Ah I see, this actually makes a lot of sense. When the sane ones move out, the lunatics take over. Good post!

Oh that poor Dark Pit guy... Well I hope he's doing well, especially since Dark Pit is back in Ultimate.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
If they wanted, they could be creative and make something work for a Geno game without having the Nintendo properties in it
But this simply isn’t how copyrights work. Risk getting sued by Nintendo by using a character from THEIR game and try to eliminate all of the Nintendo aspects? And as a game company that clearly respects itself, that would be untrue to Geno’s character as well as his origin. Geno is in the Mario universe. Making a Geno game without the Mario would be incredibly difficult. All of him is rooted in Mario. Risk upsetting the fans as well?? This is a risky move and why make that risk?

Last edited:

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I actually believe Nintendo owning "rights" here is why Geno can't appear in other SE games outside of Nintendo stuff even though they own the character. Think of it like a gridlock.
1450397861659.png

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Yeah , but the reason people love Geno is... Because he was a Mario character.

During the SNES days , the Mario cast was pretty straightforward , same for the story.

That's why SMRPG was such an unique game for Mario fans , for It's World building , story , personnality... And Geno's personnality was pretty unique for a Mario game , same for his design , but he didn't felt "out of place".

But I do agree that a Geno game could work. His concept as a star who possess unanimated objets could leads to a lot of unique game mechanics.

However , from a Story perspective , they'll have to re-do Geno from scratch. And I don't think it's a good Idea , especially this far in Geno's life.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I actually believe Nintendo owning "rights" here is why Geno can't appear in other SE games outside of Nintendo stuff even though they own the character. Think of it like a gridlock.
View attachment 181658
>Literally says that Regardless of EVERYTHING said, the Copyright of character" Geno" is reserved by Square-Enix
>"Nintendo probably own rights of him!"

No?

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Yeesh...when I saw there had been an upswing of like, ten pages in 5 hours, I thought for sure there was some kind of super megaton leak about the VGAs in there.

But nope. Just a ton of cyclical debate about boycotts and recycled Geno relevancy arguments. Ten pages of it. And it's notable that the vast majority of it has little to no likes per post--this shows people are skimming.

Listen, guys...I know it seems like you've gotta jump to Geno's defense when these detractors come calling. But here's something to consider: I've always found indifference to be a much more effective means of shutting down an argument. If you fight someone, you're acknowledging them as a threat. Don't give them that power, however, and they become an empty voice screaming at no one.

Me personally? I believe Geno's chances are great. Regardless of what others think, that's the reality I live in. I'm not saying I'm not open to new information that can change my mind, but I can assure you that the arguments being posed in here have not been strong enough to shake that belief.

Because the funny thing about beliefs: they don't need facts to be believed.

It's the same thing for the music boycott issue, btw. Beliefs are hard to change, and heated arguments rarely do that. Waste your time if you want, I suppose, but I'd really rather talk about something more positive or productive. Like yesterday's debates. Those were surprisingly non-repetitive.

To that end....how about some Geno discussion? I had a thought about Geno's Final Smash: are we SURE it'd be Flash, or even Blast? I kinda see Sakurai going with Whirl, if only because of the insta-kill factor. Like, if you time it right and the opponent is over 40% or something, it WILL kill. I can see it being a Sakurai callback kind of move to make it his FS.

Thoughts?

DIY

Smash Apprentice
Alright, no disrespect intended to any person in particular seeing as various people have been contributing to this topic but I feel like I must comment on this whole situation:

I feel like we're all just going in a circle, at this point. In the past few days, multiple people have been debating as to why Geno would be the SE pick instead of the other choices. However, a bunch of these arguments have been ones that have already been HEAVILY discussed in the past 100-150 pages of the thread. I'm just tired of seeing the same con and pro arguments for Geno's inclusion when they have already been talked about and examined by numerous people in the past. To me, it's gotten to the point where I legitimately can't tell if some people are just trolling or not seeing as the same points and counterarguments to those points are being repeated over and over again, without people even bothering to read what the discussions on those points were a while ago.

I understand that this Geno thread has really blown up recently and that numerous new people have joined, which is why they may not be familiar with points brought up in the past. However, if that's the case, going back through the thread and at least grazing through some stuff already mentioned would be really helpful for seeing what points have already been discussed at length, in order to spare everyone the time and effort of just going in circles with LITERALLY some of the EXACT points that have been talked about for the past few weeks.

Again, not trying to be rude to anyone or anything, but the past few dozen pages have contained a ton of repetitive discussions that have done nothing to further the Geno conversation except cause frustration for numerous people.

Sorry for venting, everyone, I just want to see new conversations occurring, like the VGA speculations and stuff like that, as opposed to topics which just feel like broken records at this point because of how often I've seen the same things being discussed.

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Leaker: *Post information in the Geno thread about Square-Enix rep that have 7 names*
Most of the people who post argument on this thread: *Post argument to remind everyone that Geno have a fierce competition and be cautionly optimistic no matter what because all characters have a big chance and worthy of smash*
People here: "URGH Why people who don't like Geno comes here? If it's only to downplay Geno"
Me: "I just like all characters on that list a tooons so idc who get in Pls be Crono tho"

I guess I'll just go and work on that S-E thread. Also daily reminder that most of the people coming here never said that Geno have no chance, and most of the time the contrary, they just said that y'all shouldn't just throw the others characters's chances away by showing that they all have a very decent chance and reminding you that there something else than "The smash bubble"

While I understand what you’re trying to say. To defend the Geno thread, none of us have ever thrown away another characters chances. We are simply trying to see what advantages Geno may have with given information. I understand being exasperated having to defend him every 20 minutes but mostly because of the title of this thread being Geno support. None of us have downplayed his competition and I truly think we all recognize that he does have fierce competition. I think we’ve been patient and taken and considered long arguments about his chances. I think a few of the people here getting a bit miffed about it, because it’s very personal and emotional is understandable. I also think we do consider more than the smash bubble.
View attachment 181658
Precisely. Only the CHARACTER of Geno is owned by Square. Nintendo owns Game, Scenario, and Music. AKA THE WORLD OF MARIO. Which Geno is a part of. It would be incredibly difficult and almost disingenuous to play a game with Geno in it and, for example, not hear a Mario song, or see a Mario star (lets remember Geno is a star!!) or hear a revamped Geno Awakens, Goodbye Geno, or Beware the Forest

-Coco-

Smash Ace
>Literally says that Regardless of EVERYTHING said, the Copyright of character" Geno" is reserved by Square-Enix
>"Nintendo probably own rights of him!"

No?
I never said they own Geno's rights. It's like you purposely put words in my mouth. lol

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
Pls be Crono tho"
For real tho. For the longest time, going back to the Brawl days when I realized that third parties were a possibility thanks to Snake and Sonic, Crono was my most wanted SE character. Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever made AND it's relevant to Nintendo as it was on the Super Nintendo originally. I'm definitely rooting for Geno to get in as my #1 SE pick now, but I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't be over the moon if Crono got in. It'd suck IMO if we got an Akira Toriyama designed character (DQ dude) and it wasn't Crono. He has a moveset built in too!

I've been seeing a lot of people since the 7 character list leak saying they hope Crono isn't the character (not just on here necessarily) which does make me a bit sad, but I do get that there are a lot of younger folk who wouldn't know anything about Chrono Trigger or why it's an important game (shout outs to the youth who have played Chrono Trigger!). And there of course and the people who were around for the game but didn't play it, which is fine. I'm not knocking anyone for their opinion or anything, just saying that I think part of the reason this saddens me is it makes me feel a bit old lol.

Back in the Brawl days I thought it would be really cool if we got SOMEONE from Chrono Trigger, and personally I wanted Crono, Frog or Magus (the OG long, silver haired antagonist before Sephiroth!). Eventually I decided I'd be cool with just Crono lol. Frog or Magus wouldn't ever happen.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace

Thank you

Dynamic Worlok

View attachment 181658
That's not what the picture states though. That aside. Despite Square owning everything relating to Geno, the main issue is that his character is inextricably tied to mario, and couldn't justifiably be used outside of that paradigm. Then again, Mario Rabbids exist, so f**** everything

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

I mean, I get where you're coming from but it's a little disingenuous to present the discussions in the thread this way when that's not exactly what's been happening. There has been an increasing amount of discussion that's basically ended up being "Sephiroth has a better chance than Geno and here's why..." that completely ignores what people in this thread have presented several times now.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
For real tho. For the longest time, going back to the Brawl days when I realized that third parties were a possibility thanks to Snake and Sonic, Crono was my most wanted SE character. Chrono Trigger is one of the best games ever made AND it's relevant to Nintendo as it was on the Super Nintendo originally. I'm definitely rooting for Geno to get in as my #1 SE pick now, but I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't be over the moon if Crono got in. It'd suck IMO if we got an Akira Toriyama designed character (DQ dude) and it wasn't Crono. He has a moveset built in too!

I've been seeing a lot of people since the 7 character list leak saying they hope Crono isn't the character (not just on here necessarily) which does make me a bit sad, but I do get that there are a lot of younger folk who wouldn't know anything about Chrono Trigger or why it's an important game (shout outs to the youth who have played Chrono Trigger!). And there of course and the people who were around for the game but didn't play it, which is fine. I'm not knocking anyone for their opinion or anything, just saying that I think part of the reason this saddens me is it makes me feel a bit old lol.

Back in the Brawl days I thought it would be really cool if we got SOMEONE from Chrono Trigger, and personally I wanted Crono, Frog or Magus (the OG long, silver haired antagonist before Sephiroth!). Eventually I decided I'd be cool with just Crono lol. Frog or Magus wouldn't ever happen.
The reason everyone is saying Chrono isn't likely is because SE refuses to acknowledge the franchise, Nintendo doesn't benefit off it (CT wasn't even on the classic) and He has to go through 3 of the 4 same loopholes that DQ does.

That's not what the picture states though. That aside. Despite Square owning everything relating to Geno, the main issue is that his character is inextricably tied to mario, and couldn't justifiably be used outside of that paradigm. Then again, Mario Rabbids exist, so f**** everything
That's essentially what I mean. Square might have a hard time using the character outside of the scenarios he's tied to.

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Alright, no disrespect intended to any person in particular seeing as various people have been contributing to this topic but I feel like I must comment on this whole situation:

I feel like we're all just going in a circle, at this point. In the past few days, multiple people have been debating as to why Geno would be the SE pick instead of the other choices. However, a bunch of these arguments have been ones that have already been HEAVILY discussed in the past 100-150 pages of the thread. I'm just tired of seeing the same con and pro arguments for Geno's inclusion when they have already been talked about and examined by numerous people in the past. To me, it's gotten to the point where I legitimately can't tell if some people are just trolling or not seeing as the same points and counterarguments to those points are being repeated over and over again, without people even bothering to read what the discussions on those points were a while ago.

I understand that this Geno thread has really blown up recently and that numerous new people have joined, which is why they may not be familiar with points brought up in the past. However, if that's the case, going back through the thread and at least grazing through some stuff already mentioned would be really helpful for seeing what points have already been discussed at length, in order to spare everyone the time and effort of just going in circles with LITERALLY some of the EXACT points that have been talked about for the past few weeks.

Again, not trying to be rude to anyone or anything, but the past few dozen pages have contained a ton of repetitive discussions that have done nothing to further the Geno conversation except cause frustration for numerous people.

Sorry for venting, everyone, I just want to see new conversations occurring, like the VGA speculations and stuff like that, as opposed to topics which just feel like broken records at this point because of how often I've seen the same things being discussed.
Oh, I am with you, my man. Glad I'm not the only one who's found today's arguments cyclical and uninteresting. If we're going to have debates, I prefer the ones where we outwardly show respect for one another, and respond to points with new info and outlooks.

Today seems to be...lacking that, somehow.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I mean, I get where you're coming from but it's a little disingenuous to present the discussions in the thread this way when that's not exactly what's been happening. There has been an increasing amount of discussion that's basically ended up being "Sephiroth has a better chance than Geno and here's why..." that completely ignores what people in this thread have presented several times now.
finally someone gets it

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
The reason everyone is saying Chrono isn't likely is because SE refuses to acknowledge the franchise, Nintendo doesn't benefit off it (CT wasn't even on the classic) and He has to go through 3 of the 4 same loopholes that DQ does.
Yeah I get that. And I acknowledge that Chrono might not be realistic exactly for those reasons. I'm talking more about people I've seen (again, not necessarily here) who say they don't want Crono in because "he's a literal who", not the folks arguing that he's unlikely due to rights issues/Square Enix refusing to do anything with the Chrono series. The latter group has legitimate points.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

I wouldn't be against Crono inclusion. He look like a unique character , and as long as there is at least a Chrono Trigger port for the Switch (There's now way I'm spending 60 dollars on the DS version. I wish I was American sometimes , not french.) I would be okay with it.
It would just be a bit annoying to see him get in before Geno without a game.

They are both characters from the SNES era that SE almost don't care much about , while having games that are great classics.
Just , Crono is way harder to get than Geno , and he isn't as requested now.

But yeah , I can understand if you feel sad when someone say "I Hope It's not X character" , since I spoke with friends that told this for my most wanted characters(Geno and Rayman), and even if it can look ridiculous , it hurt sometimes.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Yeah I get that. And I acknowledge that Chrono might not be realistic exactly for those reasons. I'm talking more about people I've seen (again, not necessarily here) who say they don't want Crono in because "he's a literal who", not the folks arguing that he's unlikely due to rights issues/Square Enix refusing to do anything with the Chrono series. The latter group has legitimate points.
Yeah anyone who says Chrono is a literal who has no clue what they're talking about. CT is an incredible game.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Oh, I am with you, my man. Glad I'm not the only one who's found today's arguments cyclical and uninteresting. If we're going to have debates, I prefer the ones where we outwardly show respect for one another, and respond to points with new info and outlooks.

Today seems to be...lacking that, somehow.
Yeah, I really enjoy those sort of discussions. The arguments came from a place of respect and both sides came out with a better understanding of the whole topic rather than having one clear cut "winner."

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I never said they own Geno's rights. It's like you purposely put words in my mouth. lol

That's essentially what I mean. Square might have a hard time using the character outside of the scenarios he's tied to.
Oh, my apologies, the way you said so and the picture was a bit confusing...Sorry...:drsad:

While I understand what you’re trying to say. To defend the Geno thread, none of us have ever thrown away another characters chances. We are simply trying to see what advantages Geno may have with given information. I understand being exasperated having to defend him every 20 minutes but mostly because of the title of this thread being Geno support. None of us have downplayed his competition and I truly think we all recognize that he does have fierce competition. I think we’ve been patient and taken and considered long arguments about his chances. I think a few of the people here getting a bit miffed about it, because it’s very personal and emotional is understandable. I also think we do consider more than the smash bubble.
And I completely agree with you. That it can be tiring, especially since a "Square-Rep" is basically a fatality now. Everyone is EXTREMELY tense, because the fate of 7 characters are on the line, and when you see the line-up, they're all great characters with tons of fans, so it's complicated and argument can be heated.

The problem is not that people have been ignoring stuff, it's that a VERY good chunk of this chunk is assumption, so people counter it with their own assumption that ALSO make sense. It's basically a battle of baseless stories and who can chunk the better storyline.

That's the problem with all of those ****ing characters, THEY ALL makes sense, and THEY ALL have a good chance to gets in.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace

They could just make the star possess another Geno doll that belongs to someone else. Or a mannequin, or a robot or something. It doesn't have to be specifically THAT doll Gaz owns.

Hell, they could have some level in an RPG that takes place in a toy store where Mario and Luigi or the KH crew or whomever are fighting some obnoxious boss battle, and then the star possesses a Geno doll in one of the aisles and intervenes in epic fashion. I would pay money to see that happen.

Dynamic Worlok

This seems an unfair oversimplification of the issue present, but I respect your decision nonetheless. There should be a quality SE general thread regardless of how discussion goes here. Not all of us disregard geno's competition, but you'll forgive us if we try to remain optimistic about his chances, and generally tend to have a very geno-centric opinion, yes?

Potatu

Smash Apprentice

Dude, it'd be totally rad to see Frog or Magus instead Crono (but that is sadly impossible) if the SE rep isn't Geno. I have played a bit of Chrono Trigger, still need to continue (iirc i'm still in the future).

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
This seems an unfair oversimplification of the issue present, but I respect your decision nonetheless. There should be a quality SE general thread regardless of how discussion goes here. Not all of us disregard geno's competition, but you'll forgive us if we try to remain optimistic about his chances, and generally tend to have a very geno-centric opinion, yes?
Of course don't worry- it's was an oversimplification on purpose.
IT IS normal in a Geno thread to have passionate Geno fans who want him-
I want him too Sadly I basically want anyone on that list, but god, Geno+Sora+Crono would be the best choices ever. :4pacman:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeesh...when I saw there had been an upswing of like, ten pages in 5 hours, I thought for sure there was some kind of super megaton leak about the VGAs in there.

But nope. Just a ton of cyclical debate about boycotts and recycled Geno relevancy arguments. Ten pages of it. And it's notable that the vast majority of it has little to no likes per post--this shows people are skimming.

Listen, guys...I know it seems like you've gotta jump to Geno's defense when these detractors come calling. But here's something to consider: I've always found indifference to be a much more effective means of shutting down an argument. If you fight someone, you're acknowledging them as a threat. Don't give them that power, however, and they become an empty voice screaming at no one.

Me personally? I believe Geno's chances are great. Regardless of what others think, that's the reality I live in. I'm not saying I'm not open to new information that can change my mind, but I can assure you that the arguments being posed in here have not been strong enough to shake that belief.

Because the funny thing about beliefs: they don't need facts to be believed.

It's the same thing for the music boycott issue, btw. Beliefs are hard to change, and heated arguments rarely do that. Waste your time if you want, I suppose, but I'd really rather talk about something more positive or productive. Like yesterday's debates. Those were surprisingly non-repetitive.

To that end....how about some Geno discussion? I had a thought about Geno's Final Smash: are we SURE it'd be Flash, or even Blast? I kinda see Sakurai going with Whirl, if only because of the insta-kill factor. Like, if you time it right and the opponent is over 40% or something, it WILL kill. I can see it being a Sakurai callback kind of move to make it his FS.

Thoughts?
I think that approach works irl. The problem is that this is a discussion thread. The whole point is to discuss things with people. And if multiple people are shutting down Geno's chances in the Geno support thread and and are agreeing with one another over it and no one is speaking up then at a certain point it almost becomes a circlejerk/echochamber for a character who the thread isn't even meant for. So of course people are going to bring things up to counter those arguments even if it is repetitive. And people are encouraging us to discuss things with people who have a different look on things. But therein lies the reason why people are getting frustrated over it. Because people are choosing to ignore points that have been brought up hundreds of times before in discussion. Hence why a separate SE thread makes more sense at this point.

Yeah pretty much this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom