• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I just want to know the mechanics of how he turns into a cannon. On a scale from 1 to all of them, how many banks would you rob to have enough money for all the Geno Amiibo you'd want if it had the ability to transform?
So many banks..

Last edited:

beans

Smash Lord
I just want to know the mechanics of how he turns into a cannon. On a scale from 1 to all of them, how many banks would you rob to have enough money for all the Geno Amiibo you'd want if it had the ability to transform?
Enough to make a little pirate ship with Geno canons.
and a trebuchet

paper roxy

Smash Ace
id probably do that even if geno didnt transform

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I personally feel like things have hit such a fever pitch that it being somebody other than Geno makes no sense. Big daddy Sakurai has preached his love for the character since Brawl, he finally gets the rights to the character in Smash 4, gets even more rights to SMRPG in Smash Ultimate's base game, and now there's a SE character in the pipeline?

For it not to be Geno would be personally baffling to me. He finally entices SE enough to get the face of the company's lead franchise in the game, but instead of following that up with the character both him and the fanbase have wanted since forever (and has the rights to use in some capacity), they instead go through the colossal legal and licensing issues to get somebody other than Geno?

I'll accept whoever makes it, but I'd be shocked if it weren't Geno.

...Of course, I also said I'd be shocked if Shadow didn't make it. Oops.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I think that approach works irl. The problem is that this is a discussion thread. The whole point is to discuss things with people. And if multiple people are shutting down Geno's chances in the Geno support thread and and are agreeing with one another over it and no one is speaking up then at a certain point it almost becomes a circlejerk/echochamber for a character who the thread isn't even meant for. So of course people are going to bring things up to counter those arguments even if it is repetitive. And people are encouraging us to discuss things with people who have a different look on things. But therein lies the reason why people are getting frustrated over it. Because people are choosing to ignore points that have been brought up hundreds of times before in discussion. Hence why a separate SE thread makes more sense at this point.
I understand your frustration, dude. And it's great to see how dedicated And protective you are of this community. And you're right, if such a scenario were going on, we might need to take action.

But it really doesn't seem like we're anywhere near the minority, here. At most, I've seen like, three detractors who are actively presenting arguments against Geno. There are others who are neutral, or are respectfully disagreeing, but they're generally cool people, like A.G.L. A.G.L. . So with so few bearing down on us, I think the thread will be fine. And if it DID become such a wasteland of Geno hate...I'm pretty positive that's when the mods would step in and say "That's not what this thread is for. This is for SUPPORT."

So me, i just feel we should focus on circulating a lot of positive Geno discussion on the good aspects of his inclusion, and have fun in here. That'll show people why being a Geno fan is a good thing moreso than defensive arguments will. Honestly, the pie talk was more productive in that sense, lol.

Remember: Geno is a strong contender. He's badass. Not someone on the defensive.

But again, I do appreciate your passion for Geno, and this community. However you choose to support us, I'm glad you're with us.:)

Last edited:

CF711

Smash Apprentice
Yo, if SE trusted Sakurai about Cloud instead of other "more relevant" character, why wouldn't they trust Sakurai on picking Geno this time
Just a thought, I don't see SE being so "NO, I WANT THIS."
Exactly. If I'm remembering the interview correctly, they asked him if he was sure and if he would want a more recent protagonist from the FF series.

Also, it looks like we are going to hit 500 tonight.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Fan polls only take a small % of data from ALL of the persons who voted in the ballot.
Youtube view? REALLY? Do you think Nintendo will show Square-Enix "Yo man, they watched "IS GENO IN SMASH??" by XXXXXX 1m times!"
Once again. People are interested in smash, but there also people who will buy characters no matter who, or characters only if they know them, or characters BECAUSE people want them.
DLC have to try and gather those three element together.

Geno have a very good chance thanks to his Smash cult and following. He probably ranked very well in the ballot. And is a fan favorite.
But Business decision doesn't stop at that.
ALL CHARACTERS HERE ARE ALSO EXCELLENT BUSINESS DECISION IN THEIR OWN RIGHTS

The fact isn't that those polls are useless, they are. But when Geno will have to FOR EXEMPLE face Sephiroth on the discussion table at Daddy Square-Enix. It will depends on what Square-Enix see. What THEY want. Or DON'T Want.

In the end, everything, all data, of so called characters fames are useless when in the end, it's like 3/4 people in a suit deciding the fates of the characters you love and they might have another point of view than you
Yes, but for the most part fan polls have been pretty consistent No matter where you go. I believe Most of the top spots outside of veterans being Isaac, Banjo-K, King. K, Ridley, Geno, Skull Kid, Crash, Sora, Shovel Knight and Shantae. If that is only a small percentile of the big picture, then these are your best bet of who placed high on the actual poll. In fact, I put up a reddit link last week of someone who compiled several fan polls to get a consistent number. Geno was 3 or 4 after Isaac and Banjo.

Youtube Views were only used to gauge how well a character for DLC was recieved and thus guestimate how well they sold. Used only in the context of what has happened in the past and to prove being a household name doesn't necessarily mean you are going to sell like hotcakes, as the argument was that Sephiroth's selling potential comes from his household name status, while adversely, Ryu who is more iconic and more of a household name arguably, was behind on views.

Yes of course business decisions and many unknown factors come into play. No one knows what was said behind the doors. Polls are not useless though. Fan demand and fan polls are exactly what brought us Ridley, King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, and Shantae's spirit. As Sakurai has also stated, the ballot is heavily considered when choosing characters for Smash. All the SE characters are viable, yes, however, we cannot ignore facts. We also understand the SE may have a differing viewpoint hence why its such an emotional rollercoaster every time a new piece of info is announced.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Yes, but for the most part fan polls have been pretty consistent No matter where you go. I believe Most of the top spots outside of veterans being Isaac, Banjo-K, King. K, Ridley, Geno, Skull Kid, Crash, Sora, Shovel Knight and Shantae. If that is only a small percentile of the big picture, then these are your best bet of who placed high on the actual poll. In fact, I put up a reddit link last week of someone who compiled several fan polls to get a consistent number. Geno was 3 or 4 after Isaac and Banjo.

Youtube Views were only used to gauge how well a character for DLC was recieved and thus guestimate how well they sold. Used only in the context of what has happened in the past and to prove being a household name doesn't necessarily mean you are going to sell like hotcakes, as the argument was that Sephiroth's selling potential comes from his household name status, while adversely, Ryu who is more iconic and more of a household name arguably, was behind on views.

Yes of course business decisions and many unknown factors come into play. No one knows what was said behind the doors. Polls are not useless though. Fan demand and fan polls are exactly what brought us Ridley, King K. Rool, Shovel Knight, and Shantae's spirit. As Sakurai has also stated, the ballot is heavily considered when choosing characters for Smash. All the SE characters are viable, yes, however, we cannot ignore facts. We also understand the SE may have a differing viewpoint hence why its such an emotional rollercoaster every time a new piece of info is announced.
Paper Mario erasure to throw him out and put Sora and Shantae over him in that list

H-HE WAS A BIG NAME, GUYS

Last edited:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario erasure to throw him out and put Sora and Shantae over him in that list

H-HE WAS A BIG NAME, GUYS
SHHHHHH THEY WERENT SUPPOSED TO KNOW

Also, realizing I'm probably one of the culprits of "rushing to Geno's defense" at every instance, I'll apologize if it's been annoying people. I quuite clearly love debating and probably started feeling like I had to prove something. I also, since its the Geno thread, always wanted to circle it back to Geno

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Boy; it sure would be nice if some insider with knowledge on what's happening at the VGA award's came in here and pushed us over 500 pages :rolleyes:

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
Boy; it sure would be nice if some insider with knowledge on what's happening at the VGA award's came in here and pushed us over 500 pages :rolleyes:
My friends cousins sisters brothers uncle works for Nintendo as a janitor and heard from the dev team as they were leaving that Boshi is the SE Rep, hes not an echo of Yoshi because he has sunglasses and Sakurai thought that made him stand apart. His FS is he throws the sunglasses at you

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My friends cousins sisters brothers uncle works for Nintendo as a janitor and heard from the dev team as they were leaving that Boshi is the SE Rep, hes not an echo of Yoshi because he has sunglasses and Sakurai thought that made him stand apart. His FS is he throws the sunglasses at you
Don't summon him

Please

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
98% chance it's not Smash. Polar Panda's source was either given an electronic or physical newsletter with full blown pictures that hinted the VGAs with about as much subtly as a brick to the face. Curve balls are possible but I advise unclenching your buttcheeks for the time being because it doesn't seem likely based on the hints.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
98% chance it's not Smash. Polar Panda's source was either given either an electronic or physical newsletter with full blown pictures that hinted the VGAs with about as much subtly as a brick to the face. Curve balls are possible but I advise unclenching your buttcheeks for the time being because it doesn't seem likely based on the hints.
Alright, so hopefully my prediction of nothing Smash at the VGAs is right.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Hi A.G.L. A.G.L. I don't know you but your post is very logical and interesting and I liked it a lot! I used to think that Geno was against the odds but now I believe he has great chances. So, I decided to reply with a few thoughts that I already had in my mind and others that came after reading your post, to show you why I changed my mind.
I'll reply in a list of bullets to separate the subjects. I know my post is big and I can be verbose because english is not my main language, but I would appreciate if you read it.
1- I think that you are forgetting how Nintendo/Sakurai chose the DLCs. Sakurai/Nintendo don't chose a company and than a character, they only chose a character. That means that Nintendo did not say "Hey I want a Square Rep" and than Square choose the better character for revenue purpose. Sakurai/Nintendo chosed the character "X" from nitnendo's list and happened that the character was from Square, than the say "Square can we use X?" if the answer was Yes than we have a Square Rep. If not than we don't have it. I agree that when it comes to a FF rep, maybe Sakurai/Nintendo only wanted a FF character and Square choosed the character, but when it comes from a lot of different IPs, character, target audiences, etc. I think that Sakurai/Nintendo already choose what they want before meeting with Square.
2- I don't think that Square care that much about SSB and it's profit opportunities, because If they did, they could use more aggressive approaches putting more musics in the game, more characters and even selling their DLC at a higher price. Square knows how to be megalomaniac when they truly believe in something.
3- One thing and probably is the most important one in my post is the fact that Geno and Chocobo were chosen for the Cloud's DLC. Mii Costumes and it's possibilities are strong point to raise sales for DLCs in Smash4. And for some unkown reason Geno was chosed. At that time I thought Mii customes would be DQ, KH, Chrono Trigger, etc. I never imagined that Square's only IP in the game besides the FF would be the SMRPG. But for some reason Nintendo and Square talked looking to DLC's sales, game promotion, etc and concluded that the better character to stay at Cloud's side was Geno! This is a miracle in my opinion but it show us that maybe Geno has very strong points that could be enough to Square and Nintendo make he as an unique character happen!
4- Sephiroth was a huge "against argument": Now that we don't have Mii Costumes on the DLCs anymore (at least for what we know), musics and stages became more important (to justify the price in relation to the other DLCs). We already have a FFVII stage and this could make Sephiroth's stage less than a "must have". Apparently Nintendo canoot find a way to put more Square content in the game. All of this makes me think that having a lot of FFVII musics in the game is unlikely and without a unique stage the only thing that this DLC has is Sephiroth itself, what could be a problematic strategy and could make people prioritize other DLCs (fighters).
5- DQ also has a strategy issue: Putting a DQ character in the base game could be good and make the game has more appeal to Japan. But when we talk about DLCs, it's like a new product itself, what means that it have to sell well by itself. That means that outside of japan people could prioritize other DLCs than Square's, what is bad for Square, of course! DQ only aim for Japan while the others DLCs could aim for the entire world!
6- When we talk about Sora, I don't think that Nintendo would like to promote a character from a game that is going to be released close to Smash but is exclusive to PS4 and Xbox One. I mean, Nintendo would not want to risk losing Smash players (who pay Switch Online) for another console because of KH3.
7- As showed with King K Rool and Ridley, Nintendo care and aims to satisfy old hardcore fans (after all this generates news about the game and help promote it). If for some reason they are not able to get Banjo, and considering all the ATs unconfirmed, Geno may be one of the last options for Nintendo to satisfy old hardcore fans with DLCs.
Also, as sad before, I believe that DQ, Sephiroth and Sora will not be chosen, and with an unpopular old-school character against another unpopular old-school character, Geno has more chances due to the SMRPG port on SnesMini agains the lack of attention that Square showed with Chrono Trigger's recent ports (PC/Mobile).
And, of course, Geno has a stronger fanbase than Crono
Thanks for reading, It's really cool when this thread can have smart discussions and yours is for sure one of them!

So first I want to congratulate you on a very well done counter argument, Im flattered that you consider what I say as "smart discussions". Also I wouldn't not have thought English was not your first language, so again job well done as you did an excellent job in providing reasons why Geno would be in.

Now moving onto your points, I am going to list them numerically so there is no confusion.

I. Actually in a way Sakurai and Nintendo do choose a company, we know this from talks on Pacman. That they were not sure who to put as a character Pacman or Heihachi, but we know they wanted a Bandai Namco character. To further illustrate this point, in the interview of Sakurai and Nomura discussing Cloud. Nomura and Sakurai state they wanted a FF character, but were not sure which one. So its not correct that Sakurai and Nintendo always already have a confirmed character in mind when approaching another company. This may have been the case with Sonic as that is literally Mario's console rival, but its not the case that this always happens.

II. Square cares about profits in general it does not matter the game. We have seen this multiple times in multiple game cross overs. Keep mind Square follows a pattern of how they do cross promotion and they do not exceed this no matter the game. 1) They always have a character that represents the company, is still relevant and helps cross promote. 2) They only give 2-3 songs per cross promotion or none at all (examples, 2 FF7 songs in Smash Wii U, 0 FF15 songs in Assassins Creed Origins, 2 FF15 songs in Tekken 7, 3 FF songs in Monster Hunter World, Unknown amount Nier of songs in Soul Calibur 6, from trailer seems like 2). 3) Square does not give more than they have to, and their DLC characters are not intertwined with the story of the game they are a guest in (exception of this is Cloud in WOL in Smash Ultimate). 4) They put characters that are globally known (examples Noctis, Ardyn/Bahamut, Behemoth, 2B - Im not including Cloud as Sakurai chose him, though it should be noted Terra and Bartz were mentioned and they are well known) 5) They choose the character that can help them make the most short term and long term income. So we can deduce from these patterns they follow they do not put a ton of music no matter the game. They never put more than one character per DLC, they known raising the price on their DLC vs other DLC does not make sense. As no one would want to pay more money for Square characters, than other characters that are already part of that DLC and are cheaper. If they were to do this they would lose money.

III. So lets address the big argument often brought to the table when it comes to Geno. Why was he chosen for a Mii costume in Smash Wii U? Its simple its because Sqaure is aware of his popularity and they have been aware for sometime. That being said Square loves cross promotion keep that in mind, and also keep in mind just because Nintendo is given the right to use a character as a Mii costume does not mean they can do whatever they want with that character. That means they were allowed to use his likeness as a Mii costume and no more. Why didn't Square choose DQ, Crono, Sephiroth to be a Mii costume? This could be their way of trying to give Geno fans what they wanted, but to an extent. Geno fans get to have their Mii costume, and Square gets to get their cross promoted pick in Cloud. Everyone is happy in this scenario. However adding Geno as a fighter is something totally different, as that is now their main pick not extra things to appease fans. As iv stated before Square loves to cross promote and they have certain rules when it comes to their DLC picks. So far Geno does not match those rules, unless he has a new game we are not aware of. This is what hurts Geno's chances, and keep mind not everyone who was a Mii costume 3rd party fighter was chosen as a playable character. Akira from Virtua fighter was also a Mii costume, and now he is an Assist Trophy. We have to keep in mind sometimes company's are aware of character popularity, but that does not mean they want them as a playable character representing them. So they may try to appease fans, by giving them something small of that character while still pushing the characters they prefer.

IV. Its not that Nintendo cannot find a good way to put FF stuff in Smash Ultimate, its that Square is not cooperative. As I have stated before, Square only gives to an extent. And they only give when they get more in return. You have to keep in mind out of all the recent cross promoted Square characters, Final Fantasy is the one they choose the most. Outside of FF characters the only character they have chosen is 2B and thats 1 out of 5. So its not an impossible idea that they will choose Sephiroth as he fits with them constantly choosing FF picks. Also keep in mind Sephiroth has been voted many times as one of the most iconic and popular video game villains of all time in many polls. If you were to take a poll of how many people knew who he was even if they hadn't played any Final Fantasy games, he would easily be recognized by many. He is that popular and FF7 is that popular of a game. Finally lets compare sales of FF7 to SMRPG, FF7 has 11 million copies sold, SMRPG has 1.7 million copies sold. Also there is a new FF7 remake happening, and FF7 is coming to the Switch, now Square can do what they love and cross promote. I will admit it would be odd for Square to choose 2 FF picks, but its not impossible.

V. While its true a DQ rep comes with many obstacles I cannot deny this, its also comes with many possibilities. Yes Dragon Quest is mostly popular in Japan, and yes its most iconic character is a regular enemy in its recent two games. That being said aside from FF, DQ is easily one of Square's best selling game series. A game census in 2017 calculated its game series has sold 5 billion gross revenue and 10 billion inflation adjusted. Lets compare this with SMRPG sales, SMRPG has 1.7 million copies sold and Dragon Quest has 5 billion in total sales. Or to be more fair lets compare a 1 on 1 game. Lets compare Dragon Quest 6 and Super Mario RPG that were released very close to each other. Dragon Quest 6 was released on December 9,1995. Super Mario RPG was released on March 9, 1996. Super Mario RPG as we stated sold 1.7 million copies, however Dragon Quest 6 sold 3.2 million copies. That is a huge difference in sales, even if Square had to split the profit. We cannot rule the fact that Dragon Quest makes Square a lot of money, and this may make DQ more popular in the West if they add it in Smash Ultimate which would be similar to what happened to Fire Emblem. This may be why Square and Nintendo will choose a DQ rep.

VI. When talking about Sora's game not coming to the Switch and it offering free promotion to a rival company we have to remember Nintendo did this before. To recap Cloud was released in Smash Wii U on December 15,2015. At that time there were no FF titles on the Wii U nor were there any that were coming. FF14 was not on the Wii U and this game has been out since 2010, with several DLC's and re releases since then. FF15 would be released on November 29,2016m less than a year after Cloud's release on Smash Wii U. So keep in mind Cloud was in way advertising other systems because no FF games were on the Wii Uand all upcoming FF games were not going to be on the Wii U. You also have to keep in mind a gaming consensus in 2013 calculated that Kingdom Hearts 1 has sold over 20 million units, thats 18.3 million more than SMRPG and thats only the first Kingdom Hearts. While its true Square is the publisher and Disney is the owner, Sora still has more of a chance to make both Nintendo, Square and Disney the most money especially with his game being so close. You really have cross promotion here.

VII. While it is true Nintendo has added many legacy characters such as Ridley and K. Rool, you have to remeber the same rules do not apply in 3rd party reps. Here you are involving two or three companies at a time. If you are making a business deal between two to three parties you need to find a way to keep everyone happy. First theres the total profit, then theres how much will need to be split between the companies and then you have the fan nostalgia and does it fit in the profit margin. Keep in mind outside of Smash Bros polls, Geno is not among the most well known or popular Square characters. If you were to list the top 5 Square characters of all time, Geno would not place there. This is an important factor to consider when moving forward in a business sense, as you the company need to decide if the risk it worth it. You are limiting yourself to a very specific area, instead of drawing a larger crowd in the general sense. The reason K rool and Ridley were able to make it, is because they did not have the red tape that 3rd party characters do. This why you see Ryu, and not Amaterasu from Okami or Asura as the second Capcom rep. As Ryu is seen more as Capcoms top most popular characters, even if he was not that popular among Smash fans.

Final Point and Geno Defense.

We have to keep in mind all these factors I have stated when analyzing and coming up with a good reason why said character is most likely. As Zhuge Liang the great tactician stated. " There is no greater weapon than the prepared mind" - Zhuge Liang . In short when coming up with a strategy its best to analyze every possible scenario. Whats most and least likely, and whats the unpredictable factor.

Geno falls in the unpredictable factor. He would be going against Square business trends, but you have his very high popularity and loyal fans. You also have the nostalgia factor which we have seen can make people want to invest in, because he reminds the of the days of the past. He reminds them of great childhoods, and as Disney has shown us in all their live action remakes, people will pay to have this. So Geno does have a chance just as much as the rest, even if it goes against logic. Because logic cannot predict everything, and business can be unpredictable at times. Sometimes businesses will try something new like Bandai Namco in Tekken 7 having 4 guest characters when Tekken 6 had none. Or like Injustice 2 having 2 guest characters aside from Netherealm properties when Injustice 1 had none. My point is companies are breaking their tradional molds of how they do business more and more as the years progress. It used to be insane when you would see a character from another company in a game thats not theirs. And yet now we have multiple characters instead of only one. So yes, its very possible it is time for Geno to shine. And like iv said before on this thread, if you would have told me how many different company characters we have now during the time of Melee I wouldn't have believed you as back then that was impossible. Snake and Cloud when they were announced were such a shock, because they were thought as impossibilities. So you never know, perhaps its now Geno's turn and prove yet again impossibilities can happen in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
98% chance it's not Smash. Polar Panda's source was either given either an electronic or physical newsletter with full blown pictures that hinted the VGAs with about as much subtly as a brick to the face. Curve balls are possible but I advise unclenching your buttcheeks for the time being because it doesn't seem likely based on the hints.
God; please don't let this be true. Nintendo needs to make some shifts in staff; cause their boneheaded decisions are making me literally LESS hyped for this ****ing game.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Was wondering when you or Panda was gonna say that. Still stranger things have happened.

EDIT: Having this knowledge of the newsletter was kind of fun. Thanks PolarPanda PolarPanda :D

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I am not worried. I think the VGAs is bad timing for DLC reveal. The game is only coming out like 4 hours after the event. I'd rather wait for a January Direct mini or something to get pumped.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think the fact that Geno got in as a Mii Costume last game tells us that both Sakurai and Square know of his popularity. That isn't debatable, it's a fact. Otherwise he wouldn't have been a Mii Costume.

"And thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we will release another Mii Fighter Costume. From Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, we're adding in Geno as a Mii Fighter Outfit."

And now Geno's Mii Costume mysteriously isn't in Ultimate.

I'd say things are looking pretty good for Geno, and I really want him in.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I am not worried. I think the VGAs is bad timing for DLC reveal. The game is only coming out like 4 hours after the event. I'd rather wait for a January Direct mini or something to get pumped.
i dont think its bad timing assuming they release the dlc pass seperately once the game launches. itd make sense when the only incentive atm is 5 unknown characters and a rex mii costume

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
God; please don't let this be true. Nintendo needs to make some shifts in staff; cause their boneheaded decisions are making me literally LESS hyped for this ****ing game.
This basically. Countless Twitter outlets mentioning Smash, not having an update or news in over a month, and not mentioning something about new content that could convince more people to buy the game right before it? Seems suspect to me.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think the fact that Geno got in as a Mii Costume last game tells us that both Sakurai and Square know of his popularity. That isn't debatable, it's a fact. Otherwise he wouldn't have been a Mii Costume.

"And thanks to our relationship with Square Enix, we will release another Mii Fighter Costume. From Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, we're adding in Geno as a Mii Fighter Outfit."

And now Geno's Mii Costume mysteriously isn't in Ultimate.

I'd say things are looking pretty good for Geno, and I really want him in.
Please don't spread this point- ALL third party costumes are removed.

D

Deleted member

Oh, I wasn't aware. Either way, it's still a good point for discussion.
Either way, Geno is still looking good because there are currently 0 Super Mario RPG tracks, despite the Geno online icon, the Geno spirit, AND the Mallow spirit

They already got the rights to Super Mario RPG content other than just Geno, so I would imagine they would include music along with the spirits if Geno couldn't be playable

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
But it...isn't, really
It's just gonna confuse people
Well as long as we address the fact that every 3rd party had their mii costume removed, which I didn't do, I'd say it's still a fair point to discuss. It leads to questions such as "why were these costumes removed", and that discussion can lead to new realizations and discoveries.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Either way, Geno is still looking good because there are currently 0 Super Mario RPG tracks, despite the Geno online icon, the Geno spirit, AND the Mallow spirit

They already got the rights to Super Mario RPG content other than just Geno, so I would imagine they would include music along with the spirits if Geno couldn't be playable
Music is an entirely different deal than licensing png's of a character

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure the music is owned by Yoko Shimmomura, so I think Sakurai would want to give as much content for the fans if Geno can't be playable. They not only got the image rights to Geno, but for Mallow as well.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I really feel like giving up on hope for DLC. Every single thing we've been hearing from insiders points to a disastrous conclusion. What's the point.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i mean, the music rights must not belong 100% to square (a lot of them are based on mario tracks and the composer puts the songs on her solo albums) and shes already on the smash team so it might not be that huge of a deal to get it in

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
2 MORE DAYS!
Today is Donkey Kong's day!

He's the leader of the bunch

You know him well.
He's finally back

to kick some tail.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

Music was a big argument I had. It is suspicious no additional Mario RPG tracks were added but you could counter that argument with no additional Final Fantasy tracks since they could be used for another characters reveal too.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Well, at least we only have to wait for tomorrow to find out I guess.
Fatman already says it's not happening. We'll hold out hope for a couple months, Nintendo will have gone through Legal Hell to get some bigoted ****'s MIDI soundfiles, and we'll just be back where we started.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This basically. Countless Twitter outlets mentioning Smash, not having an update or news in over a month, and not mentioning something about new content that could convince more people to buy the game right before it? Seems suspect to me.
Now hold up for a second. Nintendo never promised anything Smash related for the Awards and nothing has been intended to be hyped for that. All of the conversation has revolved around the fact that Nintendo is actively promoting their biggest game of the year that comes out a few years after the awards air. The people supporting this notion on Twitter and stuff are just not separating the advertisement of Smash (Which Nintendo has been doing particularly hard all year) and the fact that Nintendo is going to show something at The Game Awards. With the insiders actively telling people Smash news is unlikely.

We're getting the game itself, that's enough "news" and I don't see why people are so impatient when you'll have the entire game in front of you. They've already announced their first post release DLC and Piranha Plant is still a couple of months off. Plus they've let us know, hey there will be more DLC to come and let us know the logistics of what that will entail.

They've done their part in creating hype all season for the game, and especially in the lead up to release. Of course they're going to make this one last push because it's great publicity for the game Nintendo is basically banking all of 2018 on. The hype should be all around the base game right now, no reason to take away from that. Especially when you consider people are already critical enough about DLC practices and throwing accusations of cut content around.

I'm going to be pretty blunt. If you hyped up The Game Awards specifically for a Smash reveal, that's entirely on you. They could surprise us of course, but I don't think anything has ever pointed at The Game Awards for a reveal besides LeakyPanda and Stealth who we've long since thrown out. There just wasn't any lead up or reason for this to be that place. Especially when Nintendo has basically talked about no other games in the future and they will begin shifting towards those.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I really feel like giving up on hope for DLC. Every single thing we've been hearing from insiders points to a disastrous conclusion. What's the point.
Man your username sure is misleading.

Jokes aside, perk up, we really don't know anything for certain yet. Literally nothing is actually set in stone yet, at the very worst we know 'for sure' a SE character is on the way, and maybe a Tales character (hard emphasis on maybe), but we're pretty in the dark on everything else. At least wait until we actually get a reveal or two before you 'give up' on the DLC being good.

D

Deleted member

Music was a big argument I had. It is suspicious no additional Mario RPG tracks were added but you could counter that argument with no additional Final Fantasy tracks since they could be used for another characters reveal too.
True, yes. FF music is expensive and hard to license though, and already has a rep. Super Mario RPG music is much easier to license since (I think) it is owned by the composer, Yoko Shimmomura, who is already composing music for Ultimate, and Sakurai and Nintendo went out of their way to not only get the rights to Geno, but Mallow as well. It Super Mario RPG hasn't had a rep, and was only repped by the Geno Mii costume in Smash 4.

It's really weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom