• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I shudder at the thought that it could be months before the first DLC character is revealed. Now it makes me think that Sakurai/Nintendo would announce the first DLC during the time when Piranha Plant is released.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I personally feel like things have hit such a fever pitch that it being somebody other than Geno makes no sense. Big daddy Sakurai has preached his love for the character since Brawl, he finally gets the rights to the character in Smash 4, gets even more rights to SMRPG in Smash Ultimate's base game, and now there's a SE character in the pipeline?

For it not to be Geno would be personally baffling to me. He finally entices SE enough to get the face of the company's lead franchise in the game, but instead of following that up with the character both him and the fanbase have wanted since forever (and has the rights to use in some capacity), they instead go through the colossal legal and licensing issues to get somebody other than Geno?

I'll accept whoever makes it, but I'd be shocked if it weren't Geno.

...Of course, I also said I'd be shocked if Shadow didn't make it. Oops.
Shadow being revealed only to be an AT in the last Direct felt like a gut punch. :urg: Even worse that Skull Kid’s AT wasn’t shown in the last Direct and only way people found out was on the website.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Fatman already says it's not happening. We'll hold out hope for a couple months, Nintendo will have gone through Legal Hell to get some bigoted ****'s MIDI soundfiles, and we'll just be back where we started.
To be fair he said a curveball could happen. And many insiders were unaware of characters such as K. Rool and PP, but yeah this hype season has basically been a trainwreck occuring in slow motion ever since September, might as well keep up the pace till the fire is put out.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Man your username sure is misleading.

Jokes aside, perk up, we really don't know anything for certain yet. Literally nothing is actually set in stone yet, at the very worst we know 'for sure' a SE character is on the way, and maybe a Tales character (hard emphasis on maybe), but we're pretty in the dark on everything else. At least wait until we actually get a reveal or two before you 'give up' on the DLC being good.
Listen bro, I was more optimistic before Kencinroar blindsided me out of nowhere. I guess I had faith Nintendo wouldn't nearly **** the bed in the last legs of the race.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If it makes any of you tin foil hat types feel better, Jon from Game Explain doesn't believe in Smash DLC announcements to be here. He says it is too early.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Now hold up for a second. Nintendo never promised anything Smash related for the Awards and nothing has been intended to be hyped for that. All of the conversation has revolved around the fact that Nintendo is actively promoting their biggest game of the year that comes out a few years after the awards air. The people supporting this notion on Twitter and stuff are just not separating the advertisement of Smash (Which Nintendo has been doing particularly hard all year) and the fact that Nintendo is going to show something at The Game Awards. With the insiders actively telling people Smash news is unlikely.

We're getting the game itself, that's enough "news" and I don't see why people are so impatient when you'll have the entire game in front of you. They've already announced their first post release DLC and Piranha Plant is still a couple of months off. Plus they've let us know, hey there will be more DLC to come and let us know the logistics of what that will entail.

They've done their part in creating hype all season for the game, and especially in the lead up to release. Of course they're going to make this one last push because it's great publicity for the game Nintendo is basically banking all of 2018 on. The hype should be all around the base game right now, no reason to take away from that. Especially when you consider people are already critical enough about DLC practices and throwing accusations of cut content around.

I'm going to be pretty blunt. If you hyped up The Game Awards specifically for a Smash reveal, that's entirely on you. They could surprise us of course, but I don't think anything has ever pointed at The Game Awards for a reveal besides LeakyPanda and Stealth who we've long since thrown out. There just wasn't any lead up or reason for this to be that place. Especially when Nintendo has basically talked about no other games in the future and they will begin shifting towards those.
Jeez I was just sharing my opinion. No need to write an essay.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
I have Smash prepurchased and it's installed on my switch. Does anyone know if the game will be available right away at 12 a.m. on Friday? Or does it take a little?
Whenever it hits 12 AM in your Switch's set time zone, I think it should be available.
It may or may not affect your Switch's location, but if it does, wait until 12 AM in your time zone.

Two friends of mine are getting it when they get off work tomorrow at 9 PM; the GameStop they go to gives the customers their pre-order like hours early before its 12 AM release date. lol

D

Deleted member

I shudder at the thought that it could be months before the first DLC character is revealed. Now it makes me think that Sakurai/Nintendo would announce the first DLC during the time when Piranha Plant is released.
I think a direct in January would be a good time if there isn't anything at the VGAs

You know what they could show at the VGAs?

GENO T-POSE

beans

Smash Lord
To be fair he said a curveball could happen. And many insiders were unaware of characters such as K. Rool and PP, but yeah this hype season has basically been a trainwreck occuring in slow motion ever since September, might as well keep up the pace till the fire is put out.
I'm pretty sure some people stated that they knew, since there was a video of Pirana made by a playtester who didnt like their job.
They just didnt believe in it.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If it makes any of you tin foil hat types feel better, Jon from Game Explain doesn't believe in Smash DLC announcements to be here. He says it is too early.
That just makes me feel worse. Why would they delay announcing it if the choices were ones we wanted?

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I have Smash prepurchased and it's installed on my switch. Does anyone know if the game will be available right away at 12 a.m. on Friday? Or does it take a little?
if lets go pikachu/eevee or other big releases are anything to go by, itll be 12 am est when the game comes out

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Listen bro, I was more optimistic before Kencinroar blindsided me out of nowhere. I guess I had faith Nintendo wouldn't nearly **** the bed in the last legs on the race.
'Blindsided' is a bit unfair given how long [BOX THEORY] ran rampant. But I understand how it can feel like a bit of a letdown, given how good the initial reveals of the game were. But to say they **** the bed is rather unfair. Though I will maintain that Sakurai saying 'don't expect too many characters' was open to interpretation, and somewhat fair to cast aside in the leadup to final reveals, we were warned three times. Plus, the last two reveals being a little underwhelming doesn't negate the amazing reveals prior (Inklings, Everyone Is Here, Ridley, Castlevania, K. Rool), and is still totally within the trend of past Smash games.

It's reasonable to keep low expectations, but the dogmatic approach of 'I'm bummed already and know it's gonna suck' just compounds an already negative mindset. It'll just make you more stressed about the whole thing, have patience and see how it actually starts to turn out.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I really feel like giving up on hope for DLC. Every single thing we've been hearing from insiders points to a disastrous conclusion. What's the point.
id be the same way if i didnt have much else to get excited for, at least for a long while. i really wish geno would just get confirmed or deconfirmed already because ive been feeling pessimistic about the whole geno hype cycle for the umpteenth time myself

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
'Blindsided' is a bit unfair given how long [BOX THEORY] ran rampant. But I understand how it can feel like a bit of a letdown, given how good the initial reveals of the game were. But to say they **** the bed is rather unfair. Though I will maintain that Sakurai saying 'don't expect too many characters' was open to interpretation, and somewhat fair to cast aside in the leadup to final reveals, we were warned three times. Plus, the last two reveals being a little underwhelming doesn't negate the amazing reveals prior (Inklings, Everyone Is Here, Ridley, Castlevania, K. Rool), and is still totally within the trend of past Smash games.

It's reasonable to keep low expectations, but the dogmatic approach of 'I'm bummed already and know it's gonna suck' just compounds an already negative mindset. It'll just make you more stressed about the whole thing, have patience and see how it actually starts to turn out.
Even Sakurai admitted they front loaded the reveals far too much.

The last leg of pre-all fighters Smash marketing was horrendous. It's okay to admit that, imo, because all the other phases have been pretty damn good.

D

Deleted member

id be the same way if i didnt have much else to get excited for, at least for a long while. i really wish geno would just get confirmed or deconfirmed already because ive been feeling pessimistic about the whole geno hype cycle for the umpteenth time myself
Confirmed, not deconfirmed :)

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Ultimate is a hot mess. There's all the good stuff; obviously, but then there's a lot of... questionable choices too. (No new snake codecs, the stuff with chrom not even being removed from robin's final smash, the way they handled assists). Sometimes it feels like they were a bit.... lazy? I dunno; maybe that's not the right word. But really; I even liked Isabelle. But the only good thing out of that last direct was WOL; honestly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Jeez I was just sharing my opinion. No need to write an essay.
I was more taking issue with you all calling out Nintendo for not living up to your hype. I've always been on the opposite side of expectation for the VGAs for a multitude of reasons and voicing my opinion on that as well. There's just no reason to say Nintendo is mishandling hype or not being communicative enough when we are only a month removed from the final Direct and two days from the official release (Finally!).

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Even Sakurai admitted they front loaded the reveals far too much.

The last leg of pre-all fighters Smash marketing was horrendous. It's okay to admit that, imo, because all the other phases have been pretty damn good.
I felt like the last direct dragged on about Spirits a bit too long, but I don't think the marketing was really at all horrendous. Underwhelming at worst, they could have done a bit more but they certainly didn't do anything to drive people away from the game.

I'm just one guy with his own crummy opinion, but I don't see where people get the idea that the marketing was horrible.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Ultimate is a hot mess. There's all the good stuff; obviously, but then there's a lot of... questionable choices too. (No new snake codecs, the stuff with chrom not even being removed from robin's final smash, the way they handled assists). Sometimes it feels like they were a bit.... lazy? I dunno; maybe that's not the right word. But really; I even liked Isabelle. But the only good thing out of that last direct was WOL; honestly.
Yeah it was a bit tonedeaf, and at this point if they don’t realize how off kilter they were, they probably never will...

Paul Cesar

Smash Rookie
You know what's a totally possible timeline that I hope doesn't happen? Geno does get into Smash but gets a redesign that we all absolutely hate. And a character with nothing else to go off other than sprites from a 20 year old game would need some liberties taken with how he should look in a modern game. Video game character redesigns aren't always bad, but they usually tend to piss off hardcore fans.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The fact that we have to look to stuff like "no new codecs and Chrom isn't handled the best" to pick on this game proves to me it isn't a hot mess.

I felt like the last direct dragged on about Spirits a bit too long, but I don't think the marketing was really at all horrendous. Underwhelming at worst, they could have done a bit more but they certainly didn't do anything to drive people away from the game.

I'm just one guy with his own crummy opinion, but I don't see where people get the idea that the marketing was horrible.
Lemme put it in perspective;
Literally 3 months of no real news besides the reveal of ONE character.

That's why I feel this way.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Man, my feelings on Geno being in or not keep fluctuating one day I feel that he’s almost garunteed the next I feel he has a very slim chance. I wish they would just reveal the SE rep already.

D

Deleted member

You know what's a totally possible timeline that I hope doesn't happen? Geno does get into Smash but gets a redesign that we all absolutely hate. And a character with nothing else to go off other than sprites from a 20 year old game would need some liberties taken with how he would look in a modern game. Video game character redesigns aren't always bad, but they usually tend to piss off hardcore fans.
Same, I just hope he stays with the same design. No belts or Akira Toriyama pls

Paul Cesar

Smash Rookie
You know what's a totally possible timeline that I hope doesn't happen? Geno does get into Smash but gets a redesign that we all absolutely hate. And a character with nothing else to go off other than sprites from a 20 year old game would need some liberties taken with how he would look in a modern game. Video game character redesigns aren't always bad, but they usually tend to piss off hardcore fans.
BUT to be fair. Sakurai has yet to disappoint us after redesigning characters that he needed to like Pit, Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog or even Marth and Roy in Melee.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Whoa we're close to 500 pages, glad I made it in time.
Also, I still can't believe Kencineroar and the box were real lol. It was basically worst case scenario for many, so it's understandable why people were initially disappointed. It really was a lame way to end off. Those 3/2 months of pure box and grinch was absolutely horendous.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
I don't know why, but I always felt that the Geno was a handmade doll given to Gaz (and not just some random toy bought at a store)

I mean, out of all the dolls Gaz had, Geno was the only one not based on actual characters (Mario, Peach, Bowser)...The kinds of dolls you'd expect to be sold in stores.

Maybe Geno was a special doll passed down from father to son (or even grandfather to father to son), and maybe that's why it was so special to Gaz.

Now that I think about it...The game never said where Gaz's dad was, did it?

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I don't see how there's any problem with how they handled Assists, personally. They aren't intended as 'consolation prizes', nor as insults, it's a neat way to see more characters who couldn't join the battle and shows Sakurai does care about the characters the fans want.

I agree completely about Chrom's presence with Robin being lazy though. Go the boring route and replace it with Lissa, put Morgan in there for the fans, tell the ESRB to buzz off and go with Tharja, hell, piss everyone off and do Grima, just do SOMETHING other than just keep Chrom around, it honestly does exude laziness and it's the one aesthetic thing I know of in Ultimate that bugs me.

And I semi-agree on Snake, I suppose they could have had Otacon, Mei Ling, and maybe a new face or two do new Codecs, but at the same time they want to pay respect to Campbell's voice actor, they reached the best compromise they could and I don't mind because I feel the explanation is reasonable.

Overall I have minimal issues with Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

Whoa we're close to 500 pages, glad I made it in time.
Also, I still can't believe Kencineroar and the box were real lol. It was basically worst case scenario for many, so it's understandable why people were initially disappointed. It really was a lame way to end off. Those 3/2 months of pure box and grinch was absolutely horendous.
Exactly, which is why it would be amazing if they just hurry up and reveal Geno already :) Even if no CGI trailer at the VGA, a model will satisfy. Greatly

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Listen bro, I was more optimistic before Kencinroar blindsided me out of nowhere. I guess I had faith Nintendo wouldn't nearly **** the bed in the last legs of the race.
I suppose I might be deranged, but Incineroar has the most interesting playstyle of all the newcomers to me. Can’t wait to play him tomorrow

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just feel like you're being overly critical of the game. While I agree with it being disappointing in some aspects (with me I particularly take issue with the lack of modes) and Sakurai certainly could have handled the reveal of assists better, the game is a VERY LONG way from a hot mess. And questionable decisions are a part of every game too. I don't know, this game feels anything but lazy to me.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
You know what's a totally possible timeline that I hope doesn't happen? Geno does get into Smash but gets a redesign that we all absolutely hate. And a character with nothing else to go off other than sprites from a 20 year old game would need some liberties taken with how he should look in a modern game. Video game character redesigns aren't always bad, but they usually tend to piss off hardcore fans.
So far, the character designs have been great, I will say specifically when it comes to older non-modernize characters. I have yet to be disappointed.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Lemme put it in perspective;
Literally 3 months of no real news besides the reveal of ONE character.

That's why I feel this way.
That's pretty fair. It doesn't bother me because I remember waiting forever for the Rosalina reveal after E3, but my whole life has trained me to be inhumanly patient. I also kinda feel like Smash's own existence advertises itself in a way, like in some strange way just knowing one is on the way keeps people invested.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
Man, my feelings on Geno being in or not keep fluctuating one day I feel that he’s almost garunteed the next I feel he has a very slim chance. I wish they would just reveal the SE rep already.
I know what you mean. I try to focus on the areas where I have control: Vote on the ballot, purchase the Mii Costume, get a little noisy now and then when Nintendo's listening. Other than that, I'm not in the board rooms where decisions are made. I don't have control over which characters make it in or become DLC. So, I try not to worry about the outcome too much until it's revealed -- even though I really want a playable Geno.

Edit: Congrats on 500 pages!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom