• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Agree Geno is the one with the least legal issues at this point. That being said what hurts his chances is Square's past business patterns. Which are the following rules or guidelines they stick to when it comes to their characters being in other games.

1) They always choose characters that represent the company, Geno would be another Mario character so he does not represent the company. 2) They are still relevant, Geno has not been used by Square for years outside Smash Wii U. 3) They help cross promote their games, Geno does not have a new game as far as we are aware. His game isn't on the Nintendo Switch, so they cant even cross promote his old game. So any chance for cross promotion is non existent. There's a fourth rule and that is they are globally popular, in this Geno does succeed at. Despite all this its possible Square may break their rules, its difficult to say. However Geno would not give them both short term and long term income, and we have seen Square loves their picks to have both.

All Square characters have some sort of handicap against them at this point, which makes it hard to see which one is the one they will choose. That is why I say we should not dismiss any of the top contenders so easily. Geno may indeed be our 2nd Square rep, but he just as easily may not be. Right now its too early to tell.
Look at this duuude

-Coco-

Smash Ace
Wow, I had no clue about that until now... So that means Crono is owned by Square, Armor Project, Akira Toriyama, and Bird Studio? Hell, I think Crono's chances dropped drastically; they're in the same position as Erdrick now.
I'd honestly argue Erdrick is higher mainly becase Nintendo is actually backing DQ games next year. And they were the ones who chose the DLC.

Last edited:

Pristine

Smash Cadet
I need to bring this point back up: we didn't know about geno and mallow as spirits until the game LEAKED.....what if we weren't supposed to know them until, say..... the VGA awards?
Could've sworn Geno was sneaked in on the last smash trailer under Shulk (but then again it's been said that it's just an online profile pic so idk).

Even so, the leaked spirit has the exact same art as the "profile pic" so who knows

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Lets examine this then:

Lets say it’s fake. Why do you guys think this persons motive is to feed misinformation? To confuse us? To mess with Polar?
This is a good question. If he wanted attention or to mess with people, he should've posted it himself or hit up Papagenos to to spread it around, not gone to one specific guy who has a track record of being responsible with information and telling him in secret. If his goal was exposure/trolling, giving the info to someone who might not even leak it would be a terrible idea. It doesn't add up.

It seems to me like there only was one reason: to impart information to the right person, someone who wouldn't expose the Square employee. And obviously, PolarPanda PolarPanda is such a person.

ShinyReshiram

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 2409 5852 0213
I need to bring this point back up: we didn't know about geno and mallow as spirits until the game LEAKED.....what if we weren't supposed to know them until, say..... the VGA awards?
Here's a plan: pretend to act surprised and happy that we got some SMRPG recognition, even if it's just PNG pictures, then get back wishing for Geno to become a playable character.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Geno would still be a Squenix character. I don't think 1 point is a valid one when he very may likely have his own unique icon indicating him as a Squenix-held character whether it be a simple "RPG" logo or not.

Your other points are though. I just find it absurd that people claim Geno would be that hard to get. He wouldn't be; especially compared to a DQ rep or Sora.
It's just a matter of if Squenix wants him in.
Actually, the Geno Mii costume had the Mushroom Kingdom emblem, so I think he'll be receiving that if he's in as a character. His own logo would be pretty weird, but if they were nice enough to let him have the Mushroom Kingdom emblem, then I think he'll be receiving that.

The "RPG" or "♡♪!?" as his emblem would be awesome, but I think it'd feel out of place.

Fun fact: In the boxing ring, Geno's name on the scoreboard would be ♡♪!?.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is a good question. If he wanted attention or to mess with people, he should've posted it himself or hit up Papagenos to to spread it around, not gone to one specific guy who has a track record of being responsible with information and telling him in secret. If his goal was exposure/trolling, giving the info to someone who might not even leak it would be a terrible idea. It doesn't add up.

It seems to me like there only was one reason: to impart information to the right person, someone who wouldn't expose the Square employee. And obviously, PolarPanda PolarPanda is such a person.
Or specifically troll him but they'd have to know he was an insider somehow. PolarPanda's source has kept this really well guarded and he didn't even know the person who reached out to him. Playing Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon and going all Batman detective mode to troll one person is weird, to say the least.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413
Hmm... Curious. Let’s hope you’re right!

Though Geno was spotted in the direct if this were the case I doubt they’d put him in the direct unless of course they were hinting at Geno being playable with Geno being under Shulk when they don’t have much of anything in common and Shulk can see the future.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
Lets examine this then:

Lets say it’s fake. Why do you guys think this persons motive is to feed misinformation? To confuse us? To mess with Polar?

1. Geno represented Squenix in Wii U tho. Not any other of their reps.

2. But... Smash Wii U was only 3 years ago.

3. Crono doesn’t have a new game and won’t be getting one soon. They’d only be cross promoting games already coming out and getting re-releases or ports. It’s not coming off of a new game or anything tho. I think it’s different for 2B
Geno did not represent Square in Wii U that was Cloud, Square allowed Geno to be a Mii costume. Thats not really representing the company as a playable character. Thats more of the fact Square knew of Geno's popularity, but decided to only allow him in to an extent.

Geno also does not have a new game and also won't be getting one soon. So by what you are saying Geno falls in the same pit as Crono.

Like I said, its not impossible Square will break their rules, but its a possibility they will not. Here are example of their cross promotion characters and the games they were in.

Cloud in Smash Wii U cross promoted the FF franchise

Ardyn & Bahamut in Assassins Creed Origins cross promoted FF15

Noctis in Tekken7 cross promoted FF15

Behemoth in Monster Hunter World cross promoted FF14 Heavensward

2B in Soul Calibur 6 cross promoted Nier Automata

Following this pattern, we can see Square chooses characters that cross promote their most popular game series, or current games. However all of them do cross promote, thats where it would be hard for Geno. As he could not cross promote for Square, and we have seen they love cross promotion. Like I said its very possible he is the 2nd Square Rep, but it would go against Square's past business decision patterns. So right now its between the two possible outcomes. Will Square put a character that has no cross promotion possibility and appease the fans? Or will they stick to what they've done before and put a character they can make more profit off of?

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Lets examine this then:
I'm hoping it's not fake, but I mentioned earlier I worry it could be someone pissy at Polar for saying things that oppose what some random other leaker is saying and wanting to make him look bad to prop themselves or someone else up comparatively. Or it could be someone who would think it'd be funny to give Geno supporters unsubstantiated hope because they hate the idea that people could like the character. Folks on the internet are weird man. After Grinch Leak I view everything with skepticism.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
We don't know that Geno won't be getting a new game. iirc the dev team behind octopath wanted to revive old nintendo rpgs. and other than secret of mana and Chrono Trigger, Mario rpg is all that comes to mind that haven't been redone.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
We don't know that Geno won't be getting a new game. iirc the dev team behind octopath wanted to revive old nintendo rpgs. and other than secret of mana and Chrono Trigger, Mario rpg is all that comes to mind that haven't been redone.
chrono trigger had a ds port/remake. secret of mana also has a remake according to the wikipedia page

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Or specifically troll him but they'd have to know he was an insider somehow. PolarPanda's source has kept this really well guarded and he didn't even know the person who reached out to him. Playing Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon and going all Batman detective mode to troll one person is weird, to say the least.
Wait when you say source are you referring to the guy who gets the info from the other guy at NoA? Because if so yeah then it's really unbelievable that it's a set-up. Unless it was a case of NoA or SE trying to plant a fake leak and seeing where it sprung up later. Though now with that information it probably isn't a troll/malicious actor.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Exactly. It's bizarre. I mean, I certainly had no idea who PolarPanda was up until a week or so ago (no offense Polar, lol), so who else would assume he was an insider? If it were a well known leaker like Verge or even a public community figure like Papagenos I'd understand, but this just makes no sense.

The only other explanation is if Polar's making it up, which isn't on the table either, as he's been verified by you and pretty much everyone. And he's telling us not to take the info as fact anyway.

I'm going to try to remain cautious, as Polar is suggesting...but from my perspective, I can't see how this info isn't legit.

That also doesn't mean much on its own anyway, as it doesn't confirm any characters. It only suggests a scenario went down. That's another strange thing--why just talk about the two being in the running, but confirm neither? That would be a more impactful fake leak.

Last edited:

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Look at this duuude
Geno did not represent Square in Wii U that was Cloud, Square allowed Geno to be a Mii costume. Thats not really representing the company as a playable character. Thats more of the fact Square knew of Geno's popularity, but decided to only allow him in to an extent.

Geno also does not have a new game and also won't be getting one soon. So by what you are saying Geno falls in the same pit as Crono.

Like I said, its not impossible Square will break their rules, but its a possibility they will not. Here are example of their cross promotion characters and the games they were in.

Following this pattern, we can see Square chooses characters that cross promote their most popular game series, or current games. However all of them do cross promote, thats where it would be hard for Geno. As he could not cross promote for Square, and we have seen they love cross promotion. Like I said its very possible he is the 2nd Square Rep, but it would go against Square's past business decision patterns. So right now its between the two possible outcomes. Will Square put a character that has no cross promotion possibility and appease the fans? Or will they stick to what they've done before and put a character they can make more profit off of?
Oh no no no no no

owjies

Smash Journeyman

I feel like DLC done right is a blend of both demand and promotion. For example, Maximillian Dood mentioned in a video that 2B was one of the most requested guest characters for Soul Calibur 6. Apparently there was an overwhelming amount of Create-A-Soul designs of her. Cloud was a similar story in Smash 4 as Sakurai specifically approached Square for Final Fantasy, but opted for Cloud due to fan demand over newer FF characters or Nintendo specific FF characters. As you say, I'm not sure what that means for Geno as he weighs heavily on the demand end of the spectrum. Sora always seemed like the logical choice, but perhaps the Disney connection is insurmountable.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace

Wait a second, Cloud was in Smash 3DS/Wii U because Sakurai asked for him; it was even stated in an interview. Nomura even asked Sakurai if he wanted to choose anyone else, and Sakurai said no and stuck with Cloud. And why in the world would they advertise Final Fantasy in late 2015? There were no new Final Fantasy games and Final Fantasy XV didn't come out until a year later, plus Cloud wasn't even in FF15. I mean, sure, the FF7 remake was announced by then, but it wasn't coming for a long time... there's still not even an official release date yet, but it's supposed to be in 2019. But c'mon, having Geno shouldn't be harmless at all. Cloud's already in the base, and Geno belongs in Nintendo games, NOT PlayStation/Xbox games.

It would feel right for Geno to be in a Nintendo game again, but why wouldn't they choose one of their Nintendo-Square collaboration characters to put in Smash? It feels right because he's there to represent the first collaboration between Nintendo and Square, one of Square's greatest RPG series (literally Square's 8th best selling franchise and 11th best selling game), representing the first Mario RPG game, and representing the Mario RPG series. From this perspective, Geno even represents and does a lot more than 2B and Sora being in Smash.

This is a good chance to revive the Super Mario RPG series since Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi have gone way down hill, and Geno being in Smash is the key to having MANY future collaborations between Nintendo and Square. Think about it, we can have an HD remake or sequel to SMRPG and a bunch of Mario RPG x Final Fantasy collaborations. If they made a Final Fantasy game that's a crossover with Mario, I think everyone would like that!

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I got wind of something about VGAs, potentially. I'm not going to go public about it just yet because I don't want my words to be twisted again. I'll be open about it when I'm more sure on it, because so far I haven't seen the information first hand. But my source was given something potentially telling about the VGAs.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I got wind of something about VGAs, potentially. I'm not going to go public about it just yet because I don't want my words to be twisted again. I'll be open about it when I'm more sure on it, because so far I haven't seen the information first hand. But my source was given something potentially telling about the VGAs.
good potentially telling or bad potentially telling?

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Wait a second, Cloud was in Smash 3DS/Wii U because Sakurai asked for him; it was even stated in an interview. Nomura even asked Sakurai if he wanted to choose anyone else, and Sakurai said no and stuck with Cloud.
I didn't know this. If Sakurai chose the SE rep, and he said he wanted Geno in the past, I think he'll pick Geno this time.

You TEASE.

owjies

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know this. If Sakurai chose the SE rep, and he said he wanted Geno in the past, I think he'll pick Geno this time.
Fingers crossed for sure, but remember Sakurai said that he only gave input on movesets this time around as Nintendo made the overall selections. That said, I think moveset potential is a big reason why Sakurai is a Geno fan.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Inb4 the Piranha Plant trailer starts up again at the VGA, but two more Piranha Plants jump in and it ACTUALLY becomes the SMRPG commercial people were waiting for, and Sakurai's month-long con pays off.

For real though, I've never played SMRPG, but I definitely get Geno's appeal and believe that after Ridley and K. Rool he is the most demanded fighter, and hope for all of you he makes it in. It felt amazing to finally get Ridley, I can only imagine how it might feel for some of you to get Geno given your fond memories of him.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm hoping it's not fake, but I mentioned earlier I worry it could be someone pissy at Polar for saying things that oppose what some random other leaker is saying and wanting to make him look bad to prop themselves or someone else up comparatively. Or it could be someone who would think it'd be funny to give Geno supporters unsubstantiated hope because they hate the idea that people could like the character. Folks on the internet are weird man. After Grinch Leak I view everything with skepticism.
That’s exactly what I’m afraid of. The thread has gotten a lot of attention in the past few days thanks to Polar’s comments.

Spend any amount of time on GameFAQs and you’ll find two or three Geno hate threads or “Geno is disconfirmed” threads a day. As spiteful and trolly as those people get, I have no problem believing one of them would go further to be a **** (Not necessarily GameFAQs specifically, but those kinds of Geno detractors).

And I think Grinch will always speak for itself when it comes to the why of things. Just because they could...

We may love Geno and he generally has good support around the community, but damn if he isn’t the exact opposite to a very frustrating subset of the community...

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Sephiroth is way far from an echo. Zack Fair is Cloud’s echo not Sephiroth. His moves are extremely different, and you would be surprised how many people do want Sephiroth. Would some people be mad at his inclusion, sure. However there would also be many who would be happy with his inclusion. You have to remember Sephiroth is one of the biggest FF villains of all time. And one of the biggest villains of all time. There are people who haven’t even played FF7 and still know who he is. It would be a good marketing move on both Nintendo’s and Square’s part to include him, as he is extremely well known. I did a poll on a google thread on which villain people preferred the choices were Akuma, Heihachi, Big Boss, Vergil and Sephiroth. Out of those choices Sephiroth beat all the contenders by a huge margin. So I would not dismiss his over all popularity so easily.
I said he'd come as one, not be one. Well, not "extremely". Yeah sure, many wants many, but he's not the top Square choice.. unless Sakurai is bound to FF choices only. Not mad, but not interested. Goes against the "must have DLC", as vague as that was. Honestly I don't think it's a good marketing move at all. FF was represented already, no further representation is needed. Really, popularity has nothing to do with that.

First off, Aerith wouldn't be a character given that she isn't an offensive character in the original game. She is a healer.
And Sephiroth would never be an echo dude. The character doesn't have limit breaks. He has his own iconic moves from the original game and normal slashes. He has nothing similar to Cloud.
Not character because not offensive!? err.. Isabelle? Also, I meant Spirits wise.
I said, he'd come as one, not be one. For a Square slot he's not the most interesting choice.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Not pertaining to Smash at all.
tenor (3).gif

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Yes, sir!

Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.

Nomura: When we first talked, I asked “are you sure you’re okay with Cloud?” He’s not a character from a new game, after all.

Sakurai: But on the other hand, if you think about who to add from Final Fantasy, it’s hard to come up with a choice that’s not Cloud. We could have used Terra or Bartz, protagonists in their own right, but I feel like there would be some people who wouldn’t know who those characters are.

SOURCE: https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Here's the thing. I'm absolutely sure Sakurai asked for Geno back in Brawl, but they said no because their relationship was quite sour at the time, and it was a little selfish to do that; also, Brawl didn't offer DLC, and Square likes having their characters as DLC, this could be the reason why they said no because they couldn't benefit off of Geno. I believe there were some Cloud fans that wanted him, but there's no way 1/4 or 1/3 of the requests were for Cloud; I find this hard to believe, which is why I think Sakurai got Cloud in Smash to get on Square's good side so he can try and get the Square character he wants, which is Geno. That's what everyone does, get on someone's good side to see if they can give you something good in return. Sakurai probably DID ask for Geno again, hence why we got a Mii costume of him in Smash 3DS/Wii U.

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I've never watched the VGAs before, but I guess I will this year. Too much cryptic hinting and stuff for me not to. No Smash, I'd assume, but probably something pretty cool from Nintendo.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Don't wanna say it publically because it's not exactly definitive. But a certain document had something that indicates presence at the VGAs, otherwise it would make no sense. This is one of those things I may just not say at all, but I'll try and see if I can find anything else out that boosts its odds.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
I feel like DLC done right is a blend of both demand and promotion. For example, Maximillian Dood mentioned in a video that 2B was one of the most requested guest characters for Soul Calibur 6. Apparently there was an overwhelming amount of Create-A-Soul designs of her. Cloud was a similar story in Smash 4 as Sakurai specifically approached Square for Final Fantasy, but opted for Cloud due to fan demand over newer FF characters or Nintendo specific FF characters. As you say, I'm not sure what that means for Geno as he weighs heavily on the demand end of the spectrum. Sora always seemed like the logical choice, but perhaps the Disney connection is insurmountable.
Its hard to tell due to Square's patterns of choosing fan demaded characters that can also cross promote. I do hope Geno is in for all the loyal fans, its just hard to tell given Square's preference for choosing the character that makes them the most income. I do agree they chose 2B because of fan demand, however she also helped them cross promote. It turned into a favorable choice for them in adding to 2B, because it helped cross promote one of their new games. This is most likely why they went ahead with the 2B idea. Like I say though, hopefully for the sake of Geno fans he is in and Square chooses the fans over high profitability.

Wait a second, Cloud was in Smash 3DS/Wii U because Sakurai asked for him; it was even stated in an interview. Nomura even asked Sakurai if he wanted to choose anyone else, and Sakurai said no and stuck with Cloud. And why in the world would they advertise Final Fantasy in late 2015? There were no new Final Fantasy games and Final Fantasy XV didn't come out until a year later, plus Cloud wasn't even in FF15. I mean, sure, the FF7 remake was announced by then, but it wasn't coming for a long time... there's still not even an official release date yet, but it's supposed to be in 2019. But c'mon, having Geno shouldn't be harmless at all. Cloud's already in the base, and Geno belongs in Nintendo games, NOT PlayStation/Xbox games.

It would feel right for Geno to be in a Nintendo game again, but why wouldn't they choose one of their Nintendo-Square collaboration characters to put in Smash? It feels right because he's there to represent the first collaboration between Nintendo and Square, one of Square's greatest RPG series (literally Square's 8th best selling franchise and 11th best selling game), representing the first Mario RPG game, and representing the Mario RPG series. From this perspective, Geno even represents and does a lot more than 2B and Sora being in Smash.

This is a good chance to revive the Super Mario RPG series since Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi have gone way down hill, and Geno being in Smash is the key to having MANY future collaborations between Nintendo and Square. Think about it, we can have an HD remake or sequel to SMRPG and a bunch of Mario RPG x Final Fantasy collaborations. If they made a Final Fantasy game that's a crossover with Mario, I think everyone would like that!
Agree Sakurai did choose Cloud, but if you notice the list Nomura gave him. They were all high profile characters that could help them cross promote, there weren't really any obscure characters. And yes there were advertising FF games, they were advertising FF games in general. Keep in mind this could have drawn people into liking the FF franchise. Also FF14 came out in 2010 and has several DLC's up to even now, so yes their was cross promotion for that game. Like I said its possible Square will choose the fans, but given how they do deals, they may not. I really hope they do listen to the fans, and I wish for Geno fans that they do get their wish. As personally I feel Geno is an interesting character, he is not my most wanted Square character. However I would not be opposed to his inclusion.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I've never watched the VGAs before, but I guess I will this year. Too much cryptic hinting and stuff for me not to. No Smash, I'd assume, but probably something pretty cool from Nintendo.
I genuinely wonder how many more viewers they'll get this year just from people hoping to see something Smash related

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
We may love Geno and he generally has good support around the community, but damn if he isn’t the exact opposite to a very frustrating subset of the community...
Every character has their detractors. There are people who dislike sora, people who can't stand steve, people who think banjo kazooie is a relic of the past and should stay that way, etc. As Geno's potential gets thrust into the limelight, our supporters have become more vocal and, appropriately, so have our detractors.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Don't wanna say it publically because it's not exactly definitive. But a certain document had something that indicates presence at the VGAs, otherwise it would make no sense. This is one of those things I may just not say at all, but I'll try and see if I can find anything else out that boosts its odds.
Huh. Well I'm definitely intrigued. Godspeed brave PolarPanda

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Just wanna point out again that the document I saw potentially telling me what's at VGAs has nothing to do with Smash. Don't get too hyped for Smash news if that's what you're thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom