• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

beans

Smash Lord
The whole VGA thing is yet another log in the cabin to why I believe PolarPanda's source's sources about the Geno rumor. PolarPanda's source literally holds strong physical evidence to the big VGA reveal and it comes from the same type of people who have been giving him info. I've talked about this before but PolarPanda's source's sources aren't just colleagues, they're very heavily implied to be supervisors AKA his boss/bosses. That's why I believe his record has been immaculate. It's one thing if it was stuff being shared around the water cooler or in the mailroom but it's quite another if it's perking up the ears of people during supervisor meetings or even possibly in board rooms. Like I've talked about in the past, this person/these people have a working relationship with Polar Panda's source and seem to actually care about him, giving them little to no incentive to lie to his face as shown by his 1:1 standing record.
Can I try and guess what it is?

New game announcement
New Nintendo Switch model, like the 3DS series

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know I was super cryptic with Lloyd/Yuri and the SE Two finalists narrative but those are unverified and things floating around insiders but the VGA reveal would be a legit leak and a lot of people would get in a ton of trouble especially since it's like 90% likely to be true. If Polar says anything, I will be legitimately shocked and, despite my position, probably tell him to erase everything for the safety of his source.

Kektendo

Smash Rookie
I know I was super cryptic with Lloyd/Yuri and the SE Two finalists narrative but those are unverified and things floating around insiders but the VGA reveal would be a legit leak and a lot of people would get in a ton of trouble especially since it's like 90% likely to be true. If Polar says anything, I will be legitimately shocked and, despite my position, probably tell him to erase everything for the safety of his source.
Yeah, that seems like a big risk. It is best if we just wait 2 more days for the VGA.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I won't pry into the identity of this VGA reveal (glad some people can keep a secret, personally my fingers are crossed for Metroid Prime 4), but what's the possibility of getting both this non-Smash reveal and the reveal of the first paid DLC fighter? Because this feels like it would be a fantastic place to reveal a super-popular DLC character.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Well there's no reason to get anyone fired or in trouble. VGA isn't that far off anyhow.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Honestly I just hope it's not just

A Metroid Prime 4 CGI trailer
And Metroid Prime Collection that will be out around February/March/April

Because it's not even a secret anymore for anyone-

DaChef

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna be super underwhelmed if the reveal is just the revised switch system with a bigger battery.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
Easy, it's Metroid Pinball 2

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
https://s.inside-games.jp/article/2018/11/24/118908.html
This is a poll taken by a Japanese magazine asking readers to vote for their most wanted Smash SP DLC characters. Not sure if it was posted yet.
I'm actually thrilled to see Bdee that high.:) I Love the little dude, and I'd be overjoyed to play as him. Not as much as Geno, but you get me...

Can I just ask one thing about this reveal?

Should I be excited about It? As in, will it mean something to anyone, or will this be specific to a certain audience? Hopefully that's not overstepping.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I just wouldn't worry about it. You will know in 2 days.
Fair enough. I'm just trying to gauge if I should bother watching the VGAs or not, lol. I have like, zero interest in it without a Smash reveal. I thought maybe whatever this thing was might make it worth it is all.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Fair enough. I'm just trying to gauge if I should bother watching the VGAs or not, lol. I have like, zero interest in it without a Smash reveal. I thought maybe whatever this thing was might make it worth it is all.
i think the only non smash thing that could excite me is an HD port of paper mario ttyd to the switch

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
i think the only non smash thing that could excite me is an HD port of paper mario ttyd to the switch
I'd watch it for that as well. Too bad Miyamoto wants good Paper Mario games to be firmly left in the past...

But I won't dredge up that old pet peeve yet again, lol. That will surely derail the thread.

Instead, I'll just hope for a Geno reveal at the show.:grin:

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Can you all imagine if it was something crazy like a new F-Zero or Mother 3 or something. Like the Half-Life 3 meme levels of never ever. That'd be pretty crazy

(Also saw TTYD remake and Prime Trilogy mentioned, that'd be cool as well. Maybe Skyward Sword HD for Switch?)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Can you all imagine if it was something crazy like a new F-Zero or Mother 3 or something. Like the Half-Life 3 meme levels of never ever. That'd be pretty crazy

(Also saw TTYD remake and Prime Trilogy mentioned, that'd be cool as well. Maybe Skyward Sword HD for Switch?)
How bout both at once? XD

NB96

Smash Rookie
Perhaps it could be a SMRPG sequel or remake that they are talking about. That would also explain why SE would allow Geno in Smash if it could promote an upcoming title of theirs. Perhaps this is what their Nintendo Switch division is working on.

Last edited:

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Im literally so torn as to whether or not Geno will make it in or not. I tend not to look at little small details, as the Grinch leak showed us that the biggest "leaks" can be totally bogus.

K.Rool's and Ridley's presence alone is very promising, as it shows the devs are listening to what.
However, I find him to be a rather irrelevant character in the Grand Scheme of Nintendo's history.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Here's a quick recap on the whole DLC situation and the big talking points based on my perspective at the proverbial table:
So out of curiosity, without naming any actual characters. Has there been word on any 1st (/ 2nd) party characters?

If you can't say anything that's cool too, just curious.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
As we get closer to the VGA's we get closer to Ultimate's release. Once we have the game, time will fly until the first DLC is ready.

That being said, we will certainly be getting leaks out the door IF any Smash related stuff is coming to the VGA's. Hopefully though, we have a K. Rool situation where it is a total surprise.

Pristine

Smash Cadet
Can y'all imagine if Sakurai does a genuine fakeout with Geno and adds Sephiroth instead or vice versa.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
Imagine if the DLC is these guys in these specific costumes View attachment 181337
This reminds me - I always thought that a Power Ranger would work for Smash but its a TV Character so out of the question.
Did you guys really do 30 pages since the thread broke melee'e record? Lol
Its the anxiety you PsychoIncarnate PsychoIncarnate . You did this. In a sense you created this sitation by making this thread argg!!!!! ....... Thank you :) A board i love to talk about Geno :D

Just a circlejerk over made up rumors and "insiders" rehashing the same made up stuff from days ago. I imagine this is how mental disorders spiral out of control.
LOL

Just a circlejerk over made up rumors and "insiders" rehashing the same made up stuff from days ago. I imagine this is how mental disorders spiral out of control.
..I....I'm sorry.... w....what? You think.... this.... is in any way.... comparable.... to a mental disease? W..T......F?!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Random thing: Roy got posted onto the blog today, this only leaves Mewtwo left to be posted.

Mewtwo was the first DLC character announced for Smash 4 a day or so before the game launched.

The Game Awards are a day before the game launches.

What does this mean.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So the DLC were considered back when the project plan was made? That... surprisingly fits one of my theories if true.

Starting to wonder if some of these characters were planned but got pushed to DLC for time constrains/3rd parties wanting more money.
I have a hare-brained theory about the Square Enix situation. I must note, this is only conjecture on the current narrative and not necessarily the only one I think is possible.

-It's late 2015. Sakurai is putting together a basic plan for Smash Ultimate. Pretty much everyone is invited back who worked on Smash 4. Sakurai asks Square if it's okay to expect Geno and Cloud for Ultimate because, after all, he's already gotten permission to use their assets before. "Sure, why not?" There seems to be a mutual understanding and things go forward from there.

-Fast forward to after Ultimate began development. Some basic things have been made for Geno. Maybe a working model and some spirits. Sakurai goes back to Square for Cloud stuff. "It's cool that you're letting Cloud be DLC again." "Nani dafuq?!" "Yeah, I thought we agreed on this..."

-Sakurai's idea was probably to have Cloud and Geno in base like Ryu and Ken and all the previous DLC characters. Square probably argued for Cloud to be DLC because they figured he'd make more money than Geno. Sakurai's not having it. "Look man, Cloud's a big deal. People would happily pay for him again." "Yeah, so? I love your mom but I don't expect to pay EVERYTIME I want to have a good time with her!" People get pissy and negotiations go south.

-Square at this point is threatening to pull out entirely. No Cloud means no Everyone is Here. Sakurai: "Why can't you be normal?!" Square: *screams in money* It's super tense. Square is deaf to any other suggestions. Sora is unfortunately given a cigarette lighter and a potato peeler by Square and told to eat a hot slice of their ass and shown the door when he's suggested.

-An agreement is reached: Cloud in base, Geno as DLC but all the negotiations mean work has barely budged on Geno, offering a possible explanation to the alleged empty fighter data that was totally scrubbed in the base game (another theory made by others is that this was supposed to be Chun Li). Cloud is one of the last if not last veteran to return, matching narratives we've heard. The SMRPG spirits are kept but the fight was so aggressive that they don't liscense old artwork for Cloud. All FF content is pretty much copy and pasted from Smash 4. Square isn't super happy with the decision but they still get paid DLC in the end. Sakurai probably wanted Cloud and Geno in base, probably to go along with fan favorite reveals like Ridley and K. Rool, but whatever; one less DLC character to think of. It's a workable compromise either way.

This narrative possibly explains why a Square rep was known since the summer and why it's very heavily implied to be the first one to be out of the gate. This also goes with the narrative of Polar Panda's source's sources talking about a Geno rumor, Jon from GameExplain's unusual confidence in the character as far back as September, why Geno was the only character aside from Ken in the Grinch Leak that insiders and even admins on Resetera didn't heavily deny or dismiss (to clarify: to ever be in the game as playable or planned), etc. Again, this is just one possible explanation for things that have transpired so far and just based on bits of pieces that have come up over the months.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Random thing: Roy got posted onto the blog today, this only leaves Mewtwo left to be posted.

Mewtwo was the first DLC character announced for Smash 4 a day or so before the game launched.

What does this mean.
Absolutely nothing!!! It’s the best gift the blog keeps giving!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
why Geno was the only character aside from Ken in the Grinch Leak that insiders and even admins on Resetera didn't heavily deny or dismiss, etc
As the one who basically reported everything about Insiders during the Grinch leaks...
It's false.

Every Insiders said "No Incineroar = fake" and "Some Characters here are Assist Trophies" (which were Shadow and Isaac)
Nothing else was said as for ResetEra.

However Spawn-Wave in his podcast Casually said that Geno/Banjo/Mach-Riders/Shadow/Isaac were out and a dumb Pipe dream roster for the time left and Incineroar was missing. He doubled down on Geno not being Playable but a spirit.
It was also the podcast that leaked the November 1 direct

Then Vergeben stood his ground and said everything was BS except Incineroar and Ken and added that Isaac was AT

That's for the story~

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm not expecting any significant news from the VGA. I also wouldn't be surprised if the first announced DLC character further down the road isn't Geno, because for all we know they may want to begin the season with another character first before Geno. Even if they do end up showing another SE character besides Geno I'm not totally discounting his chances until all 5 characters are shown. I think it's important for this reason like Panda pointed out that even though we're speculating about the 5 it's important that we make our voices heard now about a second wave. And if it happens that Geno is the first announced for this first one it would still be nice to have an additional 5 or so characters if it comes to that or any other number for all we know. Though to be honest I'm not really sure what it means to have our voices heard; I'm not in the business of pestering people for characters but I would like to be polite and make our requests known.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As the one who basically reported everything about Insiders during the Grinch leaks...
It's false.

Every Insiders said "No Incineroar = fake" and "Some Characters here are Assist Trophies" (which were Shadow and Isaac)
Nothing else was said as for ResetEra.

However Spawn-Wave in his podcast Casually said that Geno/Banjo/Mach-Riders/Shadow/Isaac were out and a dumb Pipe dream roster for the time left and Incineroar was missing. He doubled down on Geno not being Playable but a spirit.
It was also the podcast that leaked the November 1 direct

Then Vergeben stood his ground and said everything was BS except Incineroar and Ken and added that Isaac was AT

That's for the story~
This doesn't change the narrative though. Nobody said anything along the lines of "this character will absolutely not be playable in this game" like in the case of Isaac and Shadow or "there are absolutely no plans for this character right now for DLC" like Banjo. Unless I missed something, nobody has said anything absolute along the lines "Geno's a spirit and will be nothing else in this game" unlike Mach Rider and the Chorus Kids. If they have, there's no solid evidence for or against it. Like one of the ResetEra admins referenced in a post they said was "putting the pieces together", Geno's a ????.

MattX20

Smash Hero

What does this mean.
Actually, it's Mewtwo and Mr. Game and Watch that are left. Mr. Game and Watch's entry for some reason hasn't been posted to the Western Smash Bros sites yet, though a theory I heard may have to do with the minor controversy being patched.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
This doesn't change the narrative though. Nobody said anything along the lines of "this character will absolutely not be playable in this game" like in the case of Isaac and Shadow or "there are absolutely no plans for this character right now for DLC" like Banjo. Unless I missed something, nobody has said anything absolute along the lines "Geno's a spirit and will be nothing else in this game" unlike Mach Rider and the Chorus Kids. If they have, there's no solid evidence for or against it. Like one of the ResetEra admins referenced in a post they said was "putting the pieces together", Geno's a ????.
Just to add to this, it also is very likely he knew the content of the base game and that Geno was indeed not playable and instead had a spirit. As we know, having base game info is a whole other beast than DLC

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Here's a quick recap on the whole DLC situation and the big talking points based on my perspective at the proverbial table:

-Aside from Pokemon Sun and Moon, no games originally released past 2015 seem to be in serious consideration for DLC content right now. Makes sense as this was when the project plan was drawn up.
But doesn't that contradict what people are saying about the Luminary, since DQ11 came out in 2017?

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
Changed my avatar to show some support
But doesn't that contradict what people are saying about the Luminary, since DQ11 came out in 2017?
Wasn't the consensus that Luminary would be a costume for Erdrick since they were always mentioned with each other? I mean Crafted Yoshi has an alt and Crafted World isn't even out yet.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Changed my avatar to show some support

Wasn't the consensus that Luminary would be a costume for Erdrick since they were always mentioned with each other? I mean Crafted Yoshi has an alt and Crafted World isn't even out yet.
This is the first I'm hearing of this, but I could see that happening, though I think female Erdrick would be just as likely, if not more likely, as an alt than the Luminary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom