• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
By the way. Was doing some late night netsurfing, just trying to connect dots and put on tin foil hats and theorize. Did yall know that people have been wanting Geno as far back as Melee? His popularity isn't anywhere near where it is now, but this link is to a Japanese survey about who players would like to see in Smash. Geno placed 8th tied with Mallow. I know, not that great (and with a lackluster 5 votes at that) but I thought it was definitely interesting. Also interesting is that James Bond placed higher than Banjo...it is Japan but wow. Also interesting, is that a lot of these characters, especially the high ranking ones, eventually MADE it to Smash.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult3.html

Also, I'm thinking (as I'm sure a lot of you are) Sakurai is really trying to go all out and trying to do everything he couldn't do in a past Smash game, in this one. (Hence Ultimate). And honestly, he has a pattern of doing this for every Smash game.

In any case, here's the result of my internet sleuthing:

64:
  • Almost every considered character for Smash64 made it into the next one as fighters. (Bowser, Mewtwo, and Marth. The only exception is King Dedede who made it into Brawl)

Melee:
  • Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion, Bubbles from Clu Clu Land, and Excitebike were all considered to represent "Retro NES" before settling on Ice Climbers, all these characters are Spirits in Ultimate iirc. (Additionally, I don't think one can compare this point with Geno getting represented by a Mii Costume because 1, the Mii C was compensation and 2, Ice Climbers were chosen over its competiton. I do not think Cloud was chosen over Geno, rather that, Cloud was already the intention. Geno was a bonus and appears in a playable form, unlike the other potential retro reps mentioned here.)
  • Lucas, Snake, Sonic, and Wario were all considered or requested by their creators at some point, but couldn't make it in due to time constraints or other factors. All of them made it into Brawl the next game.
  • People wanted Takamaru, but he hadn't had a game in a few years and he was pretty obscure. He made it in as an Assist Trophy anyway. (possibly compensation?)
  • Sakurai expressed interest in putting in Mach Rider. Mach Rider is now in Ultimate as a Spirit.
  • Even with stages, there was a Fire Emblem stage that was supposed to incorporate ballistae, that eventually got repurposed into Castle Seige in the next game.

Brawl:

• "The Forbidden 7": Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda, Toon Shiek, and "Pra_Mai". Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy would eventually return as fighters in SSB4. Dixie Kong now has a hat in Ultimate.
  • Pac-Man, Miis, Villager, Geno, Blastoise, and Krystal were all considered. Pac-Man, Villager, and Miis made the jump to fighters in the next game, while Wolf was put in over Krystal. Krystal is now an AT in Ultimate. (which honestly to me, is really unfortunate. The probably would've put her in this time around [Ultimate], but once again prioritized Wolf. Which I understand but it sucks Wolf keeps taking her shine! Lol. No one in Smash fights with a Staff AND Smash needs more female reps period. But also interesting to note that Sakurai likely never forgot about Krystal since Brawl since he at least gave us the AT.) Along with the Miis Geno was given his costume in the very next game. Blastoise appears as a stage background, for the sake of being thorough.
  • AT's
    • Excitebike appears as an AT
    • Kat and Ana appear as an AT. They are now in Ultimate. (won't say how due to spoilers)
    • Little Mac appears as an AT before he was promoted to fighter in the next game.
    • Ray MK III appears as an AT and is now a Mii Costume in Ultimate
    • Saki Amamiya appears as an AT (and it is noted that this is due to how popular and requested he was in Japan) and is now a Mii Costume in Ultimate
SSB4:
  • The Rhythm Heaven rep was considered here. Rhythm Heaven potential reps have Spirits in Ultimate.
  • Takamaru was considered (even years later! This is way after Melee) but wasn't added due to lack of familiarity.
  • Chrom famously wasn't added but was definitely considered. This is evident in his Final Smash appearance and his Mii Costume. He was eventually added in for Ultimate, the next game.
  • Heihachi was considered but his moves would be too hard to implement. Additionally, Pac-Man was chosen in over him fairly quickly.
  • Dark Samus appears as an AT before she is promoted to E Fighter in the next one.
  • Isabelle appears as an AT before she is promoted to Fighter in the next one.
  • Mii Costumes that eventually were promoted (?) to AT in Ultimate (Akira, Black Knight, Chain Chomp, Knuckles, Rathalos, Skull Kid, Zero)
  • Intrestingly, Saki is promoted(?) to Mii Costume in Ultimate. (Thus keeping him in the game SOMEHOW). Additionally, as stated earler, Kat and Ana do not appear as an AT but are still in the game in some shape or form outside of Spirits.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/05/31/character-selection-smash-for/ :

• According to development during SSB4, Industry trends and whats popular during development play a large role in who gets considered in the roster. Inkling's Mii Costume pick was because of how popular the game was during DLC, similar to Rex. (This interview was in 2016. For those thinking about the Square Rep, especially if it may have been decided this far back, DQ wasn't doing so well in 2016. Nor was it trending. There were plans to release Dragon Quest Heroes in the West and more if it did well, while people were disappointed with a specific Dragon Quest Conference. I have links if yall really wanna know. In any case, DQ11 wasn't even out yet. So again, really up to what Nintendo is thinking as far as DLC, and the circumstances around when the SE rep, if chosen, was chosen.)
  • Rosalina and Luma's inclusion came not only because shes popular and from a main title Mario game, but also because of her UNIQUENESS. Her puppet fighter abilities make her something no one has seen yet.
  • Sakurai states Smash allows him to bring back old and forgotten characters, and retro reps especially dont really have the relevancy argument against them. Looking at Little Mac, specifically, he was popular out here in Punch Out and in Japan (similar to Geno, which is actually pointed out in the article.) and thats why he was included and not, for example, Takamaru.
  • Sakurai often picks highly requested characters.
  • Combine that with this statement from his most recent Game Informer Interview:
    • [" We do things like base our consideration on the results of the Smash ballot, and also balance things out so that there’s a difference in the types of fighters."]
  • Also peep this one. This could be contirubted for the argument against DQ...:
    • ["You may not sense that, but it is actually a miracle every time we’re able to create a Smash Bros. game. It’s a bit different from any other game series that regularly comes out with new installments. Unless we get approval from all of the I.P. holders who are involved in this game, we can’t make this game. And every time, we are walking a fine line."]
  • EDIT: AAAAAND this one from another Source Gaming articule (seperate from above), when talking about DLC from the last game:
    • ["From now until the end, it is going to be fan service [2] , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters [3]. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.
      • Ryu, Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo were already in development before the Ballot, and it's the same team doing Ultimate. A lot of the ballots picks are transferring over into Ultimate. They must know Geno's popularity based on the ballot. Combine that with the allegations that NoJ has the results of the ballot.

In conclusion, I think if Sakurai was given any type of list to choose from, and Geno was on it, and possible, that he would pick Geno over the other rumored Sqaure characters based on how he's operated in past games, how Ultimate is bringing together a lot of old ideas and from past titles, and how he's treated characters he's actually wanted in the game, pretty much every character Sakurai has explicitly said he wanted in (not considered, but WANTED), if they held up to the test of time, they made it in. (See above for the evidence for this deduction) I think Geno fits this mold, perfectly. I think Geno has held up to time, him being retro beats the relevancy argument, he's wildly popular, and unique enough to be different from other fighters in his competition. If he doesn't get in....I blame Nintendo and SE. But probably more so Nintendo tbh.

EDIT: Based on above edit (in second spoiler tag): If Sakurai has any say, which its implied he may have some, based on a selection NoJ game him, and he's deciding how viable a given fighter is, and he was given Geno, I'm confident he would choose to include him.

I think Geno's chances are good.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I dunno, didn't Sakurai say something along the lines of no more Smash presentations before the game launches? I'm not going to count on a DLC reveal until at least a month after the game.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I dunno, didn't Sakurai say something along the lines of no more Smash presentations before the game launches? I'm not going to count on a DLC reveal until at least a month after the game.
I mean, no one really expected Mewtwo before the launch of Smash Wii U so it's sorta hard to say.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Role play for everyone. You are Nintendo of Japan back when DLC for SSBU is being decided. What is the list of characters you give to Sakurai and why are they on the list?

Being role play, this has to be based on what you think NoJ would do, not what they should do. And, you have to give your answer as if you were NoJ talking to Sakurai.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm keeping an eye out for our more in the know individuals to pop into the thread: just have this feeling somthing juicy might come out tonight...

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I am curious on what the general opinion here of Geno's chances for DLC are.

Over on the Isaac thread, the consensus, from what I've read, anyway, seems to be split on if he or another Golden Sun character will be in for DLC or not.

I, for one, find Geno fairy likely for DLC, though I won't be surprised if Square-Enix doesn't want him in.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I mean, no one really expected Mewtwo before the launch of Smash Wii U so it's sorta hard to say.
That's true but that was also revealed during the 50 fact extravaganza, it wasn't revealed after a "final" presentation.

Role play for everyone. You are Nintendo of Japan back when DLC for SSBU is being decided. What is the list of characters you give to Sakurai and why are they on the list?

Being role play, this has to be based on what you think NoJ would do, not what they should do. And, you have to give your answer as if you were NoJ talking to Sakurai.
I would probably front load the releases with one or two characters that are heavily demanded by fans, put one character with less demand but still sizable demand from a relevant series in the middle, and then put two advertisement characters on the tail end.

Krooli

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
3332 7619 1413

First off I think the list likely has around 20ish names on it and most of them are Marketable characters and characters that are in upcoming games with a few fanfavorites anyways here’s what I think the list likely has on it:

-Edelgard (Upcoming game)

-Daemon x Machina Protag (Upcoming game)

-Bandana Dee (Marketable)

-E. Gadd/King Boo (Upcoming game)

-Gen 8th Pokemon (Upcoming game)

-Geno (Fan-Favorite)

-Banjo (Fan-Favorite)

-Steve (Marketable)

- Porky (Mother’s 30th anniversary)

- Sylux (Upcoming game)

- Heihachi (Marketable)

-Lloyd Irving (Marketable?)

-Rayman/Ubisoft Rep (Marketable)

-Bethesda Rep/Doom Guy (Marketable)

-Septhiroth (Marketable + That list)

- Retro Rep

- Paper Mario (Marketable)

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
First off I think the list likely has around 20ish names on it and most of them are Marketable characters and characters that are in upcoming games with a few fanfavorites anyways here’s what I think the list likely has on it:

-Edelgard (Upcoming game)

-Daemon x Machina Protag (Upcoming game)

-Bandana Dee (Marketable)

-E. Gadd/King Boo (Upcoming game)

-Gen 8th Pokemon (Upcoming game)

-Geno (Fan-Favorite)

-Banjo (Fan-Favorite)

-Steve (Marketable)

- Porky (Mother’s 30th anniversary)

- Sylux (Upcoming game)

- Heihachi (Marketable)

-Lloyd Irving (Marketable?)

-Rayman/Ubisoft Rep (Marketable)

-Bethesda Rep/Doom Guy (Marketable)

-Septhiroth (Marketable + That list)

- Retro Rep

- Paper Mario (Marketable)
People still remember my Paper Boy.

So glad... :"]

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Just to reiterate from a few pages back, I honestly don't see us getting a Smash reveal at the VGAs. If we do, then heck yes. But if we don't, I won't be surprised. I think this first DLC fighter will be revealed like in an early 2019 Direct or something.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That’s a pretty different situation announcement wise. Smash 3DS was already out and had been out for a little while at that point. They were also in the middle of a Direct still focused on Smash for Wii U announcing new information. Plus, there was the fact this was the first time Smash was getting DLC, so that was their big way to reveal it.

Compare that to Ultimate. The game isn’t out yet. We’ve had a final presentation about the game that has been stated as such. Not only has DLC been revealed, but we actually do know the first character (Piranha Plant is DLC no matter how you look at it like Mewtwo was) and roughly when that one is coming.

Add all of that up, plus the fact that Ultimate’s hype is already at a near breaking point that will come to fruition in less than a week, and I just don’t see why a VGAs announcement is a good move. DLC also serves the purpose of extending the life of the game and continuing hype. Sakurai already did way too much early on with the base game, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised for him to hold back DLC announcements until each one is ready. Ultimate is probably going to carry its own hype until Piranha Plant no problem.

Hell, I pretty much expect the earliest possible chance for a character release would be like April, so do with that what you will.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I loved Super Paper Mario, so I wish we'd get some of its music.

Still have to finish 64 and TTYD; I didn't finish Sticker Star, either, but lost it along with other DS/3DS games :S

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That’s a pretty different situation announcement wise. Smash 3DS was already out and had been out for a little while at that point. They were also in the middle of a Direct still focused on Smash for Wii U announcing new information. Plus, there was the fact this was the first time Smash was getting DLC, so that was their big way to reveal it.

Compare that to Ultimate. The game isn’t out yet. We’ve had a final presentation about the game that has been stated as such. Not only has DLC been revealed, but we actually do know the first character (Piranha Plant is DLC no matter how you look at it like Mewtwo was) and roughly when that one is coming.

Add all of that up, plus the fact that Ultimate’s hype is already at a near breaking point that will come to fruition in less than a week, and I just don’t see why a VGAs announcement is a good move. DLC also serves the purpose of extending the life of the game and continuing hype. Sakurai already did way too much early on with the base game, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised for him to hold back DLC announcements until each one is ready. Ultimate is probably going to carry its own hype until Piranha Plant no problem.

Hell, I pretty much expect the earliest possible chance for a character release would be like April, so do with that what you will.
February 2020 is much closer than you anticipate.

Not much time to reveal and release 5 DLC characters. Especially considering the releases can only begin after February 2019.

You can't say "Sakurai would've held back DLC announcements until they're all ready" when Piranha Plant exists.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I'll take your challenge! Though I do not think ANYONE knows what Nintendo is doing. This being said, Kirby Star Allies, Mario Tennis Aces and Breath of the Wild have done some pretty great DLC compared to how Wii U DLC was handled. (It was OK, but not like where we are now).
I do believe fan demand is being made and attempted. With all that out of the way...AHEM.

-NoJ will have at most 2 promotional fighters. Lets say, Fire Emblem: Three Houses Rep and one other (Prime 4, possible Mother 3 West release, etc)

-There is evidence of Rareware content in Smash via data mining. So Microsoft is on board, to an extent.
Either Banjo & Kazooie to fulfill the data mine, or Steve because Minecraft content. Weird scenario, both get in.

-Square is getting a Rep, or it is heavily considered to have a 2nd one join the fray. Since we know that Square is interested in (possibly) working on older IP's for the Switch...Geno, would be the Fan demand not only for the Smash community, but for Sakurai as well. I'd argue, we could see Crono coming in as well or besides Geno. Both of these characters share a joint history with Nintendo where both games are heavily influential (TO A DEGREE) in Japan AND the West.

-Namco has helped with the game and THEY MIGHT throw them a bone (Seriously...not another Namco rep was added in base?!). I could see NoJ use this for Promotional means. Tales of Vesperia is coming to the Switch next year, how do you hype that up? Add a Tales Character to Smash. So I will say it could be either Lloyd Irving being the first on a Nintendo console or Yuri Lowell to promote the new game.

So I think this is the MOST likely we will see.
2 promotional nintendo characters
1 Microsoft
1 Square
1 Namco

So a "list" could comprise of several names from Sakurai to pick. Hopefully I answered this right lol.

EDIT: My list has: Edlegard, Claude, Teacher (Three Houses MC), Banjo & Kazooie, Steve?, Geno, Crono, Edrick, Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Masked Man, Porky and Sylux.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
nv5rIbd.jpg

This might have already been posted but I can't see images on smashboards for some reason unless I quote the person directly

Geno has a max power of 10,000 even.

Or something. I don't know how spirits work

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Wanted to ask about the Geno Spirit again.

Is the implication that Sakurai could only get a Geno Spirit and Icon for base game?
And then Nintendo decided to go and get Geno for a playable slot? If Geno were to be DLC.

Or...what's the situations here.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
This might have already been posted but I can't see images on smashboards for some reason unless I quote the person directly

Geno has a max power of 10,000 even.

Or something. I don't know how spirits work
I don't know, just seeing them go all out with Geno as a spirit is making me a bit skeptical about his DLC chances, but alas, hope remains.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Is the implication that Sakurai could only get a Geno Spirit and Icon for base game?
And then Nintendo decided to go and get Geno for a playable slot? If Geno were to be DLC.

The other option is Geno could be DLC but Sakurai realized at some point his fans would be disappointed if he wasn't in the game at all at base.

Wanted to give them something to hold on to until he gets revealed.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I do believe that is the gist of it, otherwise if he was SUPER deconfirmed I think we would have a Mii Costume along with the Spirit and Icon. It would make too much sense for his Spirit battle to have the Mii Costume, yet its not in the game...

D

Deleted member

0 evidence Geno was planned for base.
He could have been, because Sakurai bought the Vifam gun in 2016, and nothing in Smash Ultimate has used it so far. Inkling is a gunner, but Inkling's gun already had a 3D model for Sakurai to use, and Inkling's gun is ink based, so the Vifam gun is likely not for her. Geno's gun doesn't have any official art, and the Vifam gun functions similarly to Geno beam, so the Vifam gun is the closest thing Sakurai could use as a reference to Geno's gun. Btw, Super Mario RPG was on the SNES Classic in 2016, when Ultimate was in development. Vergeben also had knowledge of the Square Enix rep months before the base game was finished. It is definitely possible that the Square Enix rep was planned for the base roster, but became DLC instead, cause, y'know, Square Enix

AugustusB

Smash Champion
No third party has Mii costumes tho
As true as that is, I think he would have fought for it to be included IF Geno is not the Square DLC pick.

EDIT: Also he could have been the only Square Assist Trophy, strike a deal that way to include him somehow.

Take Rathalos for example, true the Mii Costume is no longer there, BUT it was (technically) upgraded to Assist Status. The Costume uses the Rathalos armor set for the costume. Zero from Mega Man was 'upgraded' to Assist. Both are 3rd parties. If Sakurai could not secure Geno for DLC, we might have seen him as an Assist or back as a Mii Costume. Or perhaps, Square was SUPER DUPER stingy that day in negotiation, if one for Geno was pursued.

Speculation on my part, but that came to mind. Luigi The President Luigi The President edited response a bit more :D

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He could have been, because Sakurai bought the Vifam gun in 2016, and nothing in Smash Ultimate has used it so far. Inkling is a gunner, but Inkling's gun already had a 3D model for Sakurai to use, and Inkling's gun is ink based, so the Vifam gun is likely not for her. Geno's gun doesn't have any official art, and the Vifam gun functions similarly to Geno beam, so the Vifam gun is the closest thing Sakurai could use as a reference to Geno's gun. Btw, Super Mario RPG was on the SNES Classic in 2016, when Ultimate was in development. Vergeben also had knowledge of the Square Enix rep months before the base game was finished. It is definitely possible that the Square Enix rep was planned for the base roster, but became DLC instead, cause, y'know, Square Enix
And you're telling me no one would've figured this out when the only base roster unique newcomer who wasn't leaked was K. Rool.
Doesn't seem too likely.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
I'd hope there was a Smash Announcement for DLC at VGAs but I don't see Reggie making it for some reason? Hasnt it always be Sakurai?

Also, strange that people say that Geno appearing in Smash wouldn't translate into future spin off titles but that Crono appearing would mean a revival, when I think it would literally be the same case. Gonna disagree that Crono is more recognizeable than Geno based on the Smash fanbase alone tbh.

Okay. I'm gonna break this up into two instances. If I only had 5 choices, and if I had more than 5. Mostly because I don't think its the most efficient idea to just pick 5 characters, when Sakurai has to decide whether or not they work. Other than Bandanna Waddle Dee, this is in no particular order. (BWD is my absolute 1s string pick)

1. Bandanna Waddle Dee
From a purely business perspective, this is my first pick. He is heavily requested in Japan and out here. Is still 'relevant' being in playable KStar Allies (lets not forget him missing from DDD FS) and is part of the Kirby franchise which Sakurai created. Not only is this a good business move because fans will love it and buy it, as first string starter pick it might also convince fans the Fighter Pack is worth buying, given their skepticism after the last Direct. He is unique in the fact that he has a spear for a weapon and no one else in Smash does, there's little doubt Sakurai would say no.​
2. Geno
From a purely business perspective, I see no reason why this isn't viable. All bias aside, if Nintendo pays to see how fans would react, (as evidenced by that "insider" on GameFAQs and JC Rodrigo's statement) and if we have the results of the ballot, we must know how popular this character is with fans. If I did a google search of the character to gauge how he would sell, most of the articles have this character in their list. Purely sales wise and fan wise, we can avoid the backlash of Isaac, as well as please our fans and attract more people to our game. As a Mario representative he can represent our partnership with Square and how SMRPG influenced Mario RPG, coinciding with the release of Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story, only a month after Smash is released.​
3. Matthew
Given the disappointment of the fans after Isaac and Shadow's reveal as assist trophies, the next best inclusion is his son who look almost identical. This is purely a fan-service pick. We are aware of how much people wanted Isaac that we made him a Mii Costume as compensation. We didn't have resources to include him, but maybe we can include a similar character. If we have the ballot, we know Isaac placed high. That can translate into sales.​
4. Edelgard from FE: Three Houses
We have a Fire Emblem game coming out very soon, to coincide with this release, I would definitely place Edelgard here. I don't care how you implement her, but this could bring even more people to Fire Emblem, especially since this is the first nextgen game since Radiant Dawn.​

5. Euden from Dragalia Lost
We just had a meeting with Cygames. Instead of putting in a character like Katalina, I would prefer a character like Euden. Dragalia Lost is a game Nintendo published and its doing well in the mobile game crowd. We hold 5% stock in Cygames and Euden could potentially sell very well and introduce gamers who may not have seen or played Dragalia to be interested in the game. That works in favor of both Nintendo and Cygames as we can split profits, and traffic from console to mobile can usher in even more profit through microtransactions on the mobile game.​
6. Any Dragon Quest Rep
We publish and pay for advertising for all Dragon Quest titles. Every major title has released on a Switch console with Dragon Quest Builders 2 and DQ11 coming out on the Switch. Smash has already gone gold, and what a better way to try to persuade Western gamers to play Dragon Quest than by putting a representative in this title. This would work on both our front, and Square's and represent our partnership before they were Square Enix. They are incredibly iconic out here, and also represent the first RPG.​
7. Dixie Kong
She could be a strong choice for little girls who have an interest in the game, and thus can usher in more families to play.​
8. Travis Touchdown
No More Heroes is releasing in January, only a month after Smash is out, in order to promote, or coincide with the release, we can introduce him as a fighter in Smash Brothers.​
9. Impa
This could appeal to women who want to see more strong female representation outside of princesses, and represent Hyrule Warriors​
10. Linkle
Another popular female character to choose from.​
11. Isa Jo or Saki Amamiya
Sin and Punishment Star Successor was a critically acclaimed game, and the sequel to the first Sin and Punishment, Saki is popular enough to warrant a Mii Costume, so a rep from this game can generate interest in further developing the series.​
12. Lloyd Irving
We ARE working with Bandai Namco afterall. Tales is an incredibly popular series, and we are looking forward to a Switch release of their next one. Lloyd is arguably the most popular Tales character, and appeared as a Mii Costume last game, and thus, should have a spot in our roster. This will definitely go well with fans as well as fans of the series, and can introduce new fans to Tales in anticipation for the future game. Also, no character in game uses two swords.​
13. Decidueye
Incredibly popular with fans during speculation, it would make sense to grant their wishes and include one of their most requested Pokemon. Additionally, the potential for a moveset would be unique, and players can find the character in Pokken Tournament.​
14. "Town" Representative
We are developing a new game with Game Freak, and in anticipation of this title, we will introduce the character early in Smash to familiarize players before releasing the game and hopefully draw them to buy the game through that familiarity.​
15. Steve, Yooka Laylee, or Rex (imagine the steal of having people pay for a character already sort of represented in the game.)
Honestly, I just wanted a clean 15.​
You can totally tell where I ran out of ideas and where I picked them back up again lmao.
Anyway, my NoJ nonbiased 5 would be

1. Bandanna Waddle Dee
2. Euden
3. Lloyd Irving
4. Matthew
5. Geno

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just realized, we are 20 pages away from surpassing the Brawl thread. With the pace we are going at, I bet it will be achieved within the weekend.

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
I’ll admit that at first glance seeing Geno as a spirit like that makes me uncomfortable, but all things considered, I still have high hopes for him as our Square rep. All things considered being the logical arguments I’ve read here and such. It’s just that initial “shock” (for lack of a better word) seeing him as a spirit that makes me a little more unsure about his chances, but as many others have pointed out, him being a spirit isn’t particularly bad for him considering that means they had to discuss Geno (and Mallow for that matter) with Square for him to get a spot as a spirit in the first place.

childishgamgeno

Smash Journeyman
And you're telling me no one would've figured this out when the only base roster unique newcomer who wasn't leaked was K. Rool.
Doesn't seem too likely.
Sorry, I don't really understand your argument.
But even when the news came out, articles were assuming its Geno.
Additionally, Mii Costumes are currently viewed as compensation prizes. We think there's no 3rd party Mii costumes so that they can be purchased.

EDIT: Mustve forgot Bomberman was a spirit. Thats interesting. Good to see Geno :)

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
As true as that is, I think he would have fought for it to be included IF Geno is not the Square DLC pick.

EDIT: Also he could have been the only Square Assist Trophy, strike a deal that way to include him somehow.

Take Rathalos for example, true the Mii Costume is no longer there, BUT it was (technically) upgraded to Assist Status. The Costume uses the Rathalos armor set for the costume. Zero from Mega Man was 'upgraded' to Assist. Both are 3rd parties. If Sakurai could not secure Geno for DLC, we might have seen him as an Assist or back as a Mii Costume. Or perhaps, Square was SUPER DUPER stingy that day in negotiation, if one for Geno was pursued.

Speculation on my part, but that came to mind. Luigi The President Luigi The President edited response a bit more :D
Knuckles got upgraded to assist as well.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Sorry, I don't really understand your argument.
But even when the news came out, articles were assuming its Geno.
Additionally, Mii Costumes are currently viewed as compensation prizes. We think there's no 3rd party Mii costumes so that they can be purchased.

EDIT: Mustve forgot Bomberman was a spirit. Thats interesting. Good to see Geno :)
...when what news came out? I'm confused. What do you not understand?

NanoGeno

Smash Rookie
As for Geno being planned for base game originally, it’s not entirely out of question in my opinion since Vergeben supposedly knew of this Square rep a while before the game was finished. This along with the Vifam gun (and this is assuming the gun is for Geno) do make me a little curious. However, this would depend on how far back they started planning for DLC. Still, I’m more inclined to believe that Geno was never considered for base game since Nintendo probably knows Square-Enix would prefer their rep to be DLC as part of the deal. It is interesting to consider though...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ya'll probably noticed, but Geno is using the Mushroom Icon

Straight up Mario character

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom