• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Welcome to the thread and thanks for those words.

Agreed, he NEEDS to be in Smash. I also think about if he is in Smash as DLC ... could that open the doors for other games, like Kart and Party? That would be great.
Outside of Nintendo straight out buying his right, Geno isn’t going to appear elsewhere. He’s not just a King K Rool that can be brought back into the fold at a moment’s notice.

Every appearance of his has to be negotiated with Square, and while I imagine their relationship with Nintendo is doing well now, that’s still a lot more complicated of a situation than it’ll ever be worth.

Geno’s worth it for Smash potentially because he has a big fan base HERE and Square is already on board.

I don’t expect Cloud and the second Square rep to survive the next Smash game, let alone see them involving Square everytime they make a Mario Kart.

Best case scenario would just be Nintendo buying the rights to all the Super Mario RPG content. But I highly doubt Nintendo cares enough about it to even try for Geno and Mallow rights wise. They just don’t seem the kind of company to do something like that and probably would have had they any interest in the subject.

It’s a shame, because as far as I can see, that would just objectively be the best thing for Nintendo to do and there would never be any considerations of third party junk. We could just have Geno and Mallow back, but who knows. Maybe Square just demands an unreasonable amount of money for two characters they’ll never use anyway...

domriver

Smash Lord
I played SMRPG in October and liked it so I hope Geno gets in. I wouldn't mind Erdrick or Sephiroth but I feel Sephiroth could be a bit boring (never thought I'd say that). At least Erdrick would introduce Westerners to a new character and since he/she can use magic it could spice up the moveset.

I saw this posted on GameFAQs but I wonder if its fake because I don't see how somebody could know such detailed information:

Idk why the image wont show here is the link: https://imgtc.com/i/gTyrzMb.png
hnmmm I wouldn't mind Banjo or Master Chief but im more for Banjo. Professor E. Gadd never really thought about him. How would he work?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
hnmmm I wouldn't mind Banjo or Master Chief but im more for Banjo. Professor E. Gadd never really thought about him. How would he work?
As much as I want E. Gadd as the weird pick all based around Luigi’s Mansion related tech and ghosts...

I can’t with good conscious have Luigi’s Mansion and Smash in the same sentence after the atrocity they’ve committed in making Luigi’s grab absolutely ****ing awful...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He sucks you off and then blows you... with the Poltergust :wario: He's the inventor of the Poltergust and FLUDD so his moveset would probably be a hodge podge of Mario and Luigi's moves from Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine. Even with Luigi's Mansion 3 on the horizon, it would still be a literally why pick.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Are we still doing the favorite SMRPG character/game thing? I'm a little late, but let me join in:

SMRPG character: either Croco or Booster. Croco because of his heel-face turn at the end, and Booster because the whole Booster Tower/Marrymore segment is probably the most memorable in the entire game. You can tell the devs had a good time with it.

Favorite game: complex answer, lol. For gameplay, either Sonic Mania or Hollow Knight. Yeah, both modern, I know. But they are both the culmination of many, many years of Sonic and Metroidvania/platforming gameplay, respectively. There is so much refinement to the formulas that they beat out the originals for me. Got over 80 hours on both, and I could still pick up either right now and have a blast, and often do. The only retro game(s) I still feel that way about are, unsurprisingly, DKC. DKC2, specifically (you and I agree on that one, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice .) Pikmin 2 deserves a special mention, as well.

For story, though...my favorites are stuck between Zero Escape 1 and 2, and the ENTIRE Ace Attorney series. Radiant Historia and Mother 3 are close behind. Chrono Trigger's in there as well.

Short answer...I CAN'T pick just one, lol. Most of these are honestly even in my mind. That is to say, perfect 10's.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
E. Gadd is an underrated Mario character and there shall be no slander of him in this thread while I'm around.

Fight me.

Potatu

Smash Apprentice
My favorite SMRPG character? Booster. He's incredibly entertaining, i like his design and he stars in one of the funniest parts of the game, that being the Marrymore Wedding.

Also, am i the only one who thinks Booster could be a good Wario echo?

Oh and my favorite game is Castlevania: Symphony of The Night.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Polar panda didn’t deconfirm geno right guys? Even though Vergeben and other insiders are hearing don’t take geno too seriously that doesn’t deconfirm or?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Polar panda didn’t deconfirm geno right guys? Even though Vergeben and other insiders are hearing don’t take geno too seriously that doesn’t deconfirm or?
No, its not a deconfirm. Just lots of bias and underestimation being thrown around.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
He sucks you off and then blows you... with the Poltergust :wario: He's the inventor of the Poltergust and FLUDD so his moveset would probably be a hodge podge of Mario and Luigi's moves from Luigi's Mansion and Super Mario Sunshine. Even with Luigi's Mansion 3 on the horizon, it would still be a literally why pick.
So it's just me that would prefer King Boo as a Luigi Mansion rep?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd like E. Gadd, but I would prefer King Boo.

To fix the "no legs" problem, just sorta animate him the same way Dark Samus's or Meta Knight's dash works; they don't touch the ground.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd like E. Gadd, but I would prefer King Boo.

Top fix the "no legs" problem, just sorta animate him the same way Dark Samus's or Meta Knight's dash works; they don't touch the ground.
And Cloud and Rosalina & Luma

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Can you imagine the hardcore Waluigi fan's reaction to him getting in?

I think the Smash boards and internet may explode.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Can you imagine the hardcore Waluigi fan's reaction to him getting in?

I think the Smash boards and internet may explode.
There is a difference between hardcore Waluigi fans and a**hole Waluigi fans, but yeah I basically agree that there would be a lot of joy and controversy. That is often a result of highly popular characters that has a lot of competition, in this case representing both a Mario and Square rep, inheriting the competition for both.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
My favorite SMRPG characters other than Geno are Croco, Yardovich, Boshi, Axem Black, and Jinx. I have a lot lol SMRPG had a great spectrum of interesting antagonists.

In terms of regular enemies i thought the Chained Kongs were cool. I always wondered what the story was there. Like why are they chained up? Did they escape Kong Island?

Also when I was younger I always wanted a Paper Mario game where a story arc/world involved Mario getting caught in a turf war between the Axem Rangers and the Koopa Bros. from the first Paper Mario.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My favorite SMRPG characters other than Geno are Croco, Yardovich, Boshi, Axem Black, and Jinx. I have a lot lol SMRPG had a great spectrum of interesting antagonists.

In terms of regular enemies i thought the Chained Kongs were cool. I always wondered what the story was there. Like why are they chained up? Did they escape Kong Island?

Also when I was younger I always wanted a Paper Mario game where a story arc/world involved Mario getting caught in a turf war between the Axem Rangers and the Koopa Bros. from the first Paper Mario.
Chained_Kong.png

He was found guilty
And must serve his time
This Kong
Must pay for his crimes

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Then I have to ask, do you know of Super Mario Bros Z?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No. Pretty much only two people are saying this because they share the same source. One of these two people is very heavily biased against Geno and has gone on several rants on GameFAQs about the character. It seems to stem from their preference to Sora and, within insiders, it's becoming more and more apparent that they're not reliable. Basically they're the whole reason the list of 7 was made public in the first place. On that note, there's been discussion on the authenticity of the list and there's a growing argument that the whole thing is a red herring either by Square or a cheeky insider. This isn't to say that none of the characters are in the running but the nature of the list is becoming seen as more and more suspicious, possibly a plant.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No. Pretty much only two people are saying this because they share the same source. One of these two people is very heavily biased against Geno and has gone on several rants on GameFAQs about the character. It seems to stem from their preference to Sora and, within insiders, it's becoming more and more apparent that they're not reliable. Basically they're the whole reason the list of 7 was made public in the first place. On that note, there's been discussion on the authenticity of the list and there's a growing argument that the whole thing is a red herring either by Square or a cheeky insider. This isn't to say that none of the characters are in the running but the nature of the list is becoming seen as more and more suspicious, possibly a plant.
Well that's a Big Thing to drop, lol. The 7 may not even be real. Wow.

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Just a question about Super Mario RPG: Does Square Enix own all of the characters created in that game?
I do not remember exactly. I read about it in an official Nintendo magazine in my country at the time that Super Mario RPG 2 was renamed to Paper Mario. They did an article in the magazine explaining why the game has changed.
But from what I remember:
- All Nintendo characters, nasmes and locations, or those made over Nintendo's IPs (such as Chained Kong, Terrapin, Boshi, Shaman, Mushroom Kingdom, etc) belongs to Nintendo.
- All the other characters, names and locations belongs to Square (including the name "Super Mario RPG")
- But in fact, even this things belonging to Square, it's restricted! Square can't use any of those content without the permission of Nintendo. (or something like that)

Summing up: Some things are Nintendo's and others Square's, but to use them both companies have to say "Ok"!

Just as a curiosity, I remember reading that the Mario, Luigi and Yoshi models used in SMRPG's beta images were made by Rare for DKC2!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Then I have to ask, do you know of Super Mario Bros Z?
Oh gosh, I remember that...I didn't watch much, but I do remember Mario skidding like, five miles after being hit.:laugh:

On a separate note, the thread seems slower than usual today. Maybe we won't beat the Brawl thread after all?? Quick, everybody talk about pie again!

...joking. Please don't, we'll get modded for sure this time.:p

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
An interesting prospect, what has been noted about this lists authenticity, or lack there of?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
An interesting prospect, what has been noted about this lists authenticity, or lack there of?
How it's coming out is raising a lot of eyebrows. More or less, whether they're real prospects or not, it's increasingly being seen as odd at how easily these names have been given out and supposedly doesn't match up with how Square has done things in the past. If everyone is in on a secret, is it really a secret? That sort of reasoning.

D

Deleted member

Oh gosh, I remember that...I didn't watch much, but I do remember Mario skidding like, five miles after being hit.:laugh:

On a separate note, the thread seems slower than usual today. Maybe we won't beat the Brawl thread after all?? Quick, everybody talk about pie again!

...joking. Please don't, we'll get modded for sure this time.:p
Nah man, we are definitely beating the Brawl thread :) I'll even keep reminding everyone about valkiriforce valkiriforce 's leaker, Luigi on the Gameboy. He's the only insider we can trust, along with PolarPanda PolarPanda

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How it's coming out is raising a lot of eyebrows. More or less, whether they're real prospects or not, it's increasingly being seen as odd at how easily these names have been given out and supposedly doesn't match up with how Square has done things in the past. If everyone is in on a secret, is it really a secret? That sort of reasoning.
Well, it's not like all of them are true. I just figured right away that Square was the type of company that recognized that no matter how tight they keep this, someone is going to start blathering. So they just feed wrong info around to make it all the more difficult to determine what is true.

D

Deleted member

Either way I think about it, if Vergeben was told to "not to take Geno too seriously," I think this is good for Geno, but if Square Enix keeps mentioning him, I keep thinking about how huge of a troll they would be, knowing that he is an old and beloved character and that the creator of the game likes him, wants him to be in the game, and knows he gets a lot of requests. I don't know what to think of this situation, but we can only be certain that Geno is one of the names Vergeben heard

Either way, I trust PolarPanda PolarPanda

And Luigi on the Gameboy

Last edited by a moderator:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Oh were we supposed to add our favorite games?
I can never pick. The answer usually changes with time.
I'll just say that the Legend of Zelda for the NES, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Banjo Tooie are in my top 5.

Oh, I like him, it's just that it would be kind of out of nowhere given he's pretty much shackled to the Luigi's Mansion games now. Why isn't he a regular character though?
They same queststion could be asked for a lot of Mario and Mario adjacent characters. There seems to be a lot of rules about who is and isn't allowed to appear in the main series, sister series, spinoffs, RPGs, ect. And they're nonsensical. We can have Funky Kong in Mario Kart, but Waluigi in a Warioware game is a no-go?

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Don't get that.

How does this not match with Squenix's business patterns?

Someone explain like I'm 5 lol

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Hopefully the favorite memories discussion is still relevant, because I'd like to share mine.

Smash 64: Unlocking Luigi and all the roster. :)
Melee: I had a lot of memories playing Melee, especially since it was my first Smash Brothers game! My favorite moment was unlocking Mewtwo; I did the 20 hours trick, but I used two controllers to shorten the time to 10 hours and kept my GameCube up all night to unlock Mewtwo, I unlocked him the next morning. I also had a great memory playing Melee at my friend's house on his birthday.
Brawl: My favorite memory in Brawl was going to my oldest sister's friend's house 10 years ago with a bunch of people to play Brawl, I really loved that; it was unfortunate that we only did it once, but hopefully I get to see my sister's friend again after 10 years because I love her and she's the best.♥ I also remember playing all of Subspace Emissary with my other older sister; we spent countless hours completing Subspace with 100% completion and it was very fun.
Smash 3DS/Wii U: I didn't have any good moments in Smash 4, but all I can think of is getting Mewtwo and Cloud as DLC.

I know I'm bound to have great moments in Ultimate, and the one that can top that as best memory is hearing Xander Mobus announce that we're going to be having Geno as our first DLC character. If we do get Geno, I might need CPR when we pick Geno at the character select screen and hear Xander say "GENO!!" for the first time.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't know the specifics but people who have worked with Square Enix in the past are making this claim. It's seen as outside normal behavior for the company by some.
Perhaps it's due to this being an out of the ordinary situation for Square? I mean, maybe they did not do this for Cloud, but back then a leak of Cloud in Smash 4 would have been laughed at. Now all eyes are on them when it comes to such a big crossover game. And even so, is it concrete that those people know what they are talking about when it comes to this?

D

Deleted member

Perhaps it's due to this being an out of the ordinary situation for Square? I mean, maybe they did not do this for Cloud, but back then a leak of Cloud in Smash 4 would have been laughed at. Now all eyes are on them when it comes to such a big crossover game. And even so, is it concrete that those people know what they are talking about when it comes to this?
Tansut leaked Cloud, maybe this is what made them cautious about their Smash related content

Or hinted at him, I should say

Last edited by a moderator:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
IT’S A TRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom