• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Fun theory if my .1% hope that Geno costume doesn't show up.

Thinking back to the Square 7 list. If you remove Sephorath, Erdrick, Lumiary, and Slime from that list (since they are now fighters or Mii Costume a la Slime AND is part of Hero's taunt) you are left Sora, Geno and Crono.

Now, IF What Imran said about Nintendo approached Disney for Sora and they said no or whatever, then you have those two left. We could get both of those as Mii costumes ... or something else. (also could get Sora in some compacity since that story is from one person, no proof or confirmation about it. I just wanted to add that tidbit since Imran is definitely a guy who knows some stuff.)

Grasping at straws, I know, but even still ... 2 years for this fighter's pass. That's a lot of time they needed for it. Who knows. Still hoping for either individual DLC, another pass, whatever they call it to have more. Wishful thinking, but hey, you never know.

Lastly, the Smash tournament starts tomorrow. Does it just last a day? Longer? I don't recall. There could be a tweet or announcement or something that happens before the video. Why the last afternoon video for Seph. Hmmm. Grasping again.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Might be getting ahead of myself but, I'm starting to lean on the likelihood of a Fighters Pass Vol. 3. A few things when combined are beginning to convince me of this possibility.
  • Sakurai has stated in one of the previous Smash presentations that with all of the worlds Ultimate has managed to bring together, he wanted to continue improving upon that record, i.e., continue working on Ultimate. With so many iconic characters that could still form part of this gargantuan crossover, another Pass might be in order.
  • Most of the top and popular current fighting games are at, or past their Season 3 of DLC characters/content. Street Fighter V (Season 5), Tekken 7 (Season 4), Mortal Kombat 11 (technically Season 3 with the Ultimate version), Samurai Shodown (Season 3 kicking off in January 2021), Dragon Ball FighterZ (Season 3), and I believe there have been rumors of Soulcalibur VI potentially getting a third Season of DLC as well. Everyone seems to be doing it, so why not Smash as well?
  • The eventual introduction of a Nintendo Switch revision would thus extend the life cycle of said console gen and its software thus, in order to keep Ultimate as a title of interest, more DLC could contribute to this.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Might be getting ahead of myself but, I'm starting to lean on the likelihood of a Fighters Pass Vol. 3. A few things when combined are beginning to convince me of this possibility.
  • Sakurai has stated in one of the previous Smash presentations that with all of the worlds Ultimate has managed to bring together, he wanted to continue improving upon that record, i.e., continue working on Ultimate. With so many iconic characters that could still form part of this gargantuan crossover, another Pass might be in order.
  • Most of the top and popular current fighting games are at, or past their Season 3 of DLC characters/content. Street Fighter V (Season 5), Tekken 7 (Season 4), Mortal Kombat 11 (technically Season 3 with the Ultimate version), Samurai Shodown (Season 3 kicking off in January 2021), Dragon Ball FighterZ (Season 3), and I believe there have been rumors of Soulcalibur VI potentially getting a third Season of DLC as well. Everyone seems to be doing it, so why not Smash as well?
  • The eventual introduction of a Nintendo Switch revision would thus extend the life cycle of said console gen and its software thus, in order to keep Ultimate as a title of interest, more DLC could contribute to this.
To me, the 4 WoL slots unfilled after this fighter’s pass is the reason I’m not writing off a Fighter’s Pass 3 but I don’t think a full-blown Pass with another six characters that runs for another two years is gonna happen.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That makes sense. I use to play the WWE THQ wrestling games and they would always have 3 seasons of DLC for each game.

Reactions: QQS

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
It’s not impossible, considering we thought FP1 was the end until Terry’s reveal.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We're only on 3/6 compared to 4/5 when FP2 was announced. I think that it would be announced later.
Since they announced more DLC when they announced Terry who was the second to last fighter in Fighter's Pass 1, I imagine we won't be hearing about whether or not we are getting more DLC outside of Fighter's Pass 2 until we see FP10.

Last edited:

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I also think a Pass 3 is possible. Pass 2 is probably going to sell really well thanks to Steve and Sephiroth. I think that could convince Nintendo to at the very least to do a few more fighters. I'm sure too that they probably get approached by a lot of companies who want to be apart of Smash in some way. Smash is a great marketing tool and money maker. Nintendo could change their minds and want to add in a couple more characters. There would still be 4 placeholder slots after Pass 2 is finished so I won't rule it out

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Since they announced more DLC when they announced Terry who was the second to last fighter in Fighter's Pass 1, I imagine we won't be hearing about whether or not we are getting more DLC outside of Fighter's Pass 2 until we see FP10.
If Challenger Pack 11 is a “recent” character, they could opt for a E3 reveal of Challenger Pack 10 at the start and 11 at the end, but with the additional announcement of “yeah, the last pack of fp2 was fire emblem again, but not to worry, there’s four more characters coming)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Challenger Pack 11 is a “recent” character, they could opt for a E3 reveal of Challenger Pack 10 at the start and 11 at the end, but with the additional announcement of “yeah, the last pack of fp2 was fire emblem again, but not to worry, there’s four more characters coming)
That would be amazing. I hope Nintendo shatters our expectations and delivers that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
To me, the 4 WoL slots unfilled after this fighter’s pass is the reason I’m not writing off a Fighter’s Pass 3 but I don’t think a full-blown Pass with another six characters that runs for another two years is gonna happen.
It might sound greedy but I’d expect more dlc to happen. We’re about half way through the switches life so we probably have another 5 years before new hardware or a new console approaches and it would be weird to see smash have no updates or dlc in any of those 4/5 years of the switches life.

Maybe 1 more pass that has 5/6 characters and is spaced out over 2 years.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I can't guess about whether we'll get another fighter's pass either way, but I personally would advise against having an absolute expectation of it.

Never forget this is the same company that's sold nearly 30 million copies of Mario Kart 8 on the Switch alone and still hasn't made any DLC for it. Nothing's guaranteed with Nintendo.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Well, to play more with this idea of more DLC, in whatever form it takes, keep this thought in mind: 2 years for the pass. That's a long time. So Smash is "scheduled" to have 3 years worth of DLC. That's a long time. It would be strange and improbable, not impossible however, to have ANOTHER year of DLC. 4 years of support is a long time.

So IF, IF, there is more fighters beyond those in FP2 ... they could be "sprinkled" in alongside FP2. This is a long shot, of course, but the two years planned for these fighters just seems so long when the first pass was half the time. Granted, there are factors we don't know and things behind the scene ... but still ... it's possible. At least.

I can see "justification" for adding more fighters WITHOUT music, stage, spirit board, etc.etc. That alone would cut down on time and resources by a good bit!

Anyway, I know I am being hopeful and I am not expecting it, but it's at least possible.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can't guess about whether we'll get a fighter's pass either way, but I personally would advise against having an absolute expectation of it.

Never forget this is the same company that's sold nearly 30 million copies of Mario Kart 8 on the Switch alone and still hasn't made any DLC for it. Nothing's guaranteed with Nintendo.
Thing is though, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe was a Wii U port with a few additional characters for kicks. Nintendo is probably saving all the Mario Kart DLC for Mario Kart 9.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Predictions on when Sephiroth will drop? I'm expecting next Monday or Tuesday as most of the time fighters get release the following Monday or Tuesday from their Presentation.
Nintendo would never do this, but I would love for the One-Winged Angel himself to drop on 12/24. But Monday 12/21 or Tuesday 12/22 are the more likely dates. I'm also not ruling out the possibility of him being available sometime after the presentation Thursday.

As far as Mii costumes go, I'm going to stick with general consensus that Tifa, Barrett, Aerith, and Chocobo are a lock for the standard ones. The deluxe is anyone's guess, but I'd say that there's a few different possibilities. Ranked from most to least likely, I think we might see: Geno, Crono, another Final Fantasy character (Cecil, Bartz, or Terra since they all have a history with Nintendo), Sora, or a wildcard indie pick. I think the most likely outcome, though, is that all of the costumes are Square Enix-related.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
That would be amazing. I hope Nintendo shatters our expectations and delivers that.
It’d make enough sense not be coo-coo bananas. I can’t see the scenario where E3 only reveals one character, but I also can’t imagine FP9 not releasing before E3. But I also can’t imagine them revealing the last character at E3 just to hit us with that “welp that’s it smash news wise see ya in november when mipha releases“. Having FP9 released April, FP10 and FP11 revealed at E3 and released Fall and Winter respectively and Fighter’s Pass 3 revealed at E3 whilst dripping in character reveals in the latter half of 2021 so Smash news isn’t just the presentations for the final two FP2 characters makes enough sense.

But I do believe that final pass would be barebones and maybe just exist of characters rather than music, miis, stages and spirits.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It’d make enough sense not be coo-coo bananas. I can’t see the scenario where E3 only reveals one character, but I also can’t imagine FP9 not releasing before E3. But I also can’t imagine them revealing the last character at E3 just to hit us with that “welp that’s it smash news wise see ya in november when mipha releases“. Having FP9 released April, FP10 and FP11 revealed at E3 and released Fall and Winter respectively and Fighter’s Pass 3 revealed at E3 whilst dripping in character reveals in the latter half of 2021 so Smash news isn’t just the presentations for the final two FP2 characters makes enough sense.

But I do believe that final pass would be barebones and maybe just exist of characters rather than music, miis, stages and spirits.
Thing is though, it could be possible we won't see FP9 until E3. The wait from Mewtwo to Lucas in Smash 4 was from October 2014 to April 2015 and the wait from Joker to Hero in Ultimate was from December 2018 to June 2019. That is if you count the announcements of course and not the release dates. Waiting half a year for the next fighter isn't far fetched especially for a E3 announcement.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Thing is though, it could be possible we won't see FP9 until E3. The wait from Mewtwo to Lucas in Smash 4 was from October 2014 to April 2015 and the wait from Joker to Hero in Ultimate was from December 2018 to June 2019. That is if you count the announcements of course and not the release dates. Waiting half a year for the next fighter isn't far fetched especially for a E3 announcement.
Yeah, plus we’re not sure how E3 was supposed to go. It could’ve been “Min Min is in and releases after this presentation” in the first part and end with Steve, which we could definitely get again with FP9 revealed in March and released E3, and ending with FP10 reveal.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, plus we’re not sure how E3 was supposed to go. It could’ve been “Min Min is in and releases after this presentation” in the first part and end with Steve, which we could definitely get again with FP9 revealed in March and released E3, and ending with FP10 reveal.
Maybe. But I'm like absolutely certain the E3 reveals were going to be Steve and Sephiroth. Both those guys are E3 caliber reveals while Min Min is normal Direct caliber level.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The more time goes on the more I entertain bonus characters but not necessarily a Season 3. We're now down to 3 character packs and Season 2 has a full year left. Something's up. Thanks to the Amiibo wave in March, the odds of at least one character before E3 2021 are pretty high so that theoretically leaves 8 remaining months for 2 characters. To put this in comparison, the time gap between the reveal and release of Min Min, Steve, and Sephiroth will be less than 6 unless Sephiroth literally releases on December 29th (doubtful).

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Well, to play more with this idea of more DLC, in whatever form it takes, keep this thought in mind: 2 years for the pass. That's a long time. So Smash is "scheduled" to have 3 years worth of DLC. That's a long time. It would be strange and improbable, not impossible however, to have ANOTHER year of DLC. 4 years of support is a long time.

So IF, IF, there is more fighters beyond those in FP2 ... they could be "sprinkled" in alongside FP2. This is a long shot, of course, but the two years planned for these fighters just seems so long when the first pass was half the time. Granted, there are factors we don't know and things behind the scene ... but still ... it's possible. At least.

I can see "justification" for adding more fighters WITHOUT music, stage, spirit board, etc.etc. That alone would cut down on time and resources by a good bit!

Anyway, I know I am being hopeful and I am not expecting it, but it's at least possible.
Yeah, I could see something like that happening. Where we might get less characters and come with very little. But that would provide an opportunity for franchises with a lot of existing stuff to get new fighters without feeling cheated. Think Mario or Pokemon.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
If they wanted to make Geno a Mii Costume wouldn’t it make sense that he will be shown alongside DQ mii costumes during that time as there wasn’t fighter pass 2 announcements during that time?
Something weird is going on

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
If they wanted to make Geno a Mii Costume wouldn’t it make sense that he will be shown alongside DQ mii costumes during that time as there wasn’t fighter pass 2 announcements during that time?
The Chocobo costume wasn't in Wave 2 either.
It's safe to assume that a Square fighter was planned by that point.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hypothetically, if Sephiroth was decided last summer, it would also make sense to save the costume if Geno wasn’t going to be playable the whole time. Best scenario if there was a compromise the Geno is playable as long as Sephiroth joins.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
I would like to ask Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if could Geno be a bonus fighter revealed in the sephiroth fighter presentation from sakurai

Also what are the chances geno will be mii costumed and deconfirmed for smash dlc for good? That would make me really sad, but if it is happening i would rather give up hope now then have a heart attack next thursday

Droodle

Smash Lord
I would like to ask Fatmanonice Fatmanonice if could Geno be a bonus fighter revealed in the sephiroth fighter presentation from sakurai

Also what are the chances geno will be mii costumed and deconfirmed for smash dlc for good? That would make me really sad, but if it is happening i would rather give up hope now then have a heart attack next thursday
They already stated in other tweets that they aren't revealing another character in the Sephiroth showcase.

And REALISTICALLY speaking I think there is a greater chance of Geno getting costumed than not (95% sure). Sure you can try to justify that he won't get costumed and thats fine, but if you'd rather not become depressed after the presentation, it's better to expect he'll just get costumed now. That way if he doesn't get costumed you could still be happy, but if he does then you've already moved on.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I'd argue the biggest thing that has come true this year is that Power of Six theory would hold up extremely well. Last fall, after Terry's presentation, we theorized that "missing" Mii costumes would be predictors for remaining character packs. Judgeheihachi came up with the original concept on GameFAQs and it's pretty easy to find in the search engine here and there. Basically, it allowed us to predict the following:

-Season 2 would more than likely have packs focused on the following companies: Nintendo, Microsoft, Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and a new company to Smash (my theory has always been a Western company: first Bethesda and then Activision after Byleth was confirmed)

-It was very likely that several companies would double dip for DLC.

What's interesting about this, however, is that the names most heard for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square Enix (Waluigi, Master Chief, and Geno) wound up being Min Min, Steve (heard in 2018), and Sephiroth (also heard in 2018). This could potentially present the theory that Waluigi, Master Chief, and Geno were never meant to get full packs but could be bonuses so we'll have to see how things play out.

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
They already stated in other tweets that they aren't revealing another character in the Sephiroth showcase.

And REALISTICALLY speaking I think there is a greater chance of Geno getting costumed than not (95% sure). Sure you can try to justify that he won't get costumed and thats fine, but if you'd rather not become depressed after the presentation, it's better to expect he'll just get costumed now. That way if he doesn't get costumed you could still be happy, but if he does then you've already moved on.
Eh, I think most of us can handle it if his costume returns. I’d rather keep hope alive and have fun speculating about ways that Geno could still make it in rather than just assuming his costume is going to return on Thursday so I’m not disappointed if it does. I’ve been a Smash fan since the beginning, I’ve been handling disappointment for 20 years.

Last edited:

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
The more time goes on the more I entertain bonus characters but not necessarily a Season 3. We're now down to 3 character packs and Season 2 has a full year left. Something's up. Thanks to the Amiibo wave in March, the odds of at least one character before E3 2021 are pretty high so that theoretically leaves 8 remaining months for 2 characters. To put this in comparison, the time gap between the reveal and release of Min Min, Steve, and Sephiroth will be less than 6 unless Sephiroth literally releases on December 29th (doubtful).
I wonder if Sephiroth would be released after the presentation similar to Banjo & Kazooie

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'd argue the biggest thing that has come true this year is that Power of Six theory would hold up extremely well. Last fall, after Terry's presentation, we theorized that "missing" Mii costumes would be predictors for remaining character packs. Judgeheihachi came up with the original concept on GameFAQs and it's pretty easy to find in the search engine here and there. Basically, it allowed us to predict the following:

-Season 2 would more than likely have packs focused on the following companies: Nintendo, Microsoft, Square Enix, Namco, Capcom, and a new company to Smash (my theory has always been a Western company: first Bethesda and the Activision after Byleth was confirmed)

-It was very likely that several companies would double dip for DLC.

What's interesting about this, however, is that the names most heard for Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square Enix (Waluigi, Master Chief, and Geno) wound up being Min Min, Steve (heard in 2018), and Sephiroth (also heard in 2018). This could potentially present the theory that Waluigi, Master Chief, and Geno were never meant to get full packs buy could be bonuses so we'll have to see how things play out.
It has held up well, though I’d point out that Namco has been dropping their costumes in non-Namco packs, with only Lloyd being left. Not that Namco is out (I can see Lloyd getting in regardless) but it gives some leeway to the theory even if it doesn’t predict every single company in the pass. I can see for example the next characters being Crash, a Capcom character (Morrigan hits that “Huh makes sense in hindsight” thing but it could be Dante or Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright all the same) and then a Byleth-Corrin-y “Leap of Faith” of a character made prominent in 2021.
That said, KOS-MOS being weirdly persistent in leaks might point to a Namco character happening either way.

NapoleonBeezwax

Smash Cadet
In my opinion , i think Geno being a bonus fighter is just as good as being a fighters pass fighter. I really dont care that much about a super mario rpg stage or music, i would just like geno playable in the game. Im wondering though is if there were bonuses would we have to wait until dlc pack 11 for them to start happening?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It has held up well, though I’d point out that Namco has been dropping their costumes in non-Namco packs, with only Lloyd being left. Not that Namco is out (I can see Lloyd getting in regardless) but it gives some leeway to the theory even if it doesn’t predict every single company in the pass. I can see for example the next characters being Crash, a Capcom character (Morrigan hits that “Huh makes sense in hindsight” thing but it could be Dante or Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright all the same) and then a Byleth-Corrin-y “Leap of Faith” of a character made prominent in 2021.
That said, KOS-MOS being weirdly persistent in leaks might point to a Namco character happening either way.
At this point I've kinda been considering the chosen undead as another out of left field pick. People love Dark souls and he certainly is up their with the likes of Steve and Sephiroth. IDK food for thought in these crazy times.

For example somthing like
Crash
Phoenix Wright
Chosen Undead

And then "pass 3" with
Geno (or Lloyd)
Waluigi (or Lloyd)
Dante
Master Chief

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Good to be back open, don't reaaaally agree with the thread being closed because a few people decided to have a meltdown while the rest of the thread more or less tried to get them to stop, but whatever. I HOPE we can spend what I feel is our last few days all together in the thread not at each others throats over stupid garbage.

Anyway, I think all this Mii Costume talk is overthinking things. ALOT. I'm going to be rational and whip out Occam's Razor. After Hero showed up without either Geno or Chocobo, people made up a bunch of weird ass explanations, "oh well, they don't want to overshadow Dragon Quest for 10 seconds in a 20 minute presentation" or "they aren't bringing back either costume even though it's free money for Square and Geno is literally already in the game as a spirit". But, the most reasonable explanation was always "the only reason they wouldn't bring back the costumes is if they are being saved for a different Square character". And, look what happened.

We'll just have to see on Thursday, but I think trying to make up a bunch of reasons to rationalize why Geno won't be there is silly.

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Haven’t been here in a long time, saw Seph’s trailer and thought I’d pop in. The trailer was sick with seeing him from afar at first and OWA playing.

I wouldn’t mind Geno being a Mega Man or Mii Gunner echo as long as he got his own sound effects and animations. But even if that happens, it’s not happening Thursday.

People will doom-post until Thursday, Geno won’t be a costume, everyone will reinvigorate with hope and theorize and debate again that fan rules don’t matter, and the wait for Geno will last and last as it always has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom