• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Gonna add to the growing melancholy around here and say that I'm getting pretty tired of this cycle we seem to keep finding ourselves in

• Character gets announced, everyone is hyped
  • Character continues to get hyped by the community, sometimes considered OP for a few weeks after launch
  • Character gets considered a bad addition by a loud minority
  • Repeat for the next character

I've seen it happen with basically every DLC character so far, even :ultbanjokazooie: sometimes. It's tiring. Can't wait for when Geno falls into this cycle when he's announced.

Convinced some Smash fans don't even like Smash honestly.
So basically the Zelda cycle

QQS

Smash Lord
I love Smash and I consider every game perfect until the next one replaces it. In fact, Smash Ultimate in Base Game is already all that we all may ask. A dream come true.

Thanks God we have DLC so we can be more happy. In our case (or in my personal case) just with Geno I’m done. But the game is already perfect and thanks for this chance of having more!

Of course I’m not “complete” without Geno playable; but Im grateful cause the game is already perfect.

yungmornindrive

Smash Cadet
Man, this place really is emotional Jenga sometimes, isn't it? Nintendo delivered more news in one day, on a Monday no less, than they have all month and people are already bummed out. It's literally not even December yet...
for real. For those of you saying you’re tired of Nintendo making you wait, maybe you should look at how businesses have been hamstrung by COVID. Everything is up in the air. Patterns are less reliable. Quantity is down. That’s the case everywhere.

Nintendo isn’t the only company dealing with revenue and product expectation problems. The only thing that hasn’t changed is your (if I’m addressing you) expectations, and maybe it’s time they do.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Yup, that's an update alright.
I wonder if this update will make the switch more vulnerable to modding in the future.
Sigh...
Im really hoping but not expecting something on the vga awards, if that makes sense.
Too bad that Genovember is over

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even if this week doesn't pan out, the fact that they announced three more Mario 35th things in one day strengthens my belief that this is going to extend to bigger things and that they're holding them off. I've said it many times but it honestly kills me and I understand better what they did now. June, July, and August were largely dead of Mario news because of the pandemic. We got Paper Mario but that was announced in May. 35th was likely planned to wrap up by 2021 but now they've tacked on those three months for January, February, and March 2021. Here's why this is a good thing...

You all may not realize it but September, October, and now November had notable Mario releases. September had Mario All-stars and Mario 3D All Stars, October had Mario 35 and Mario Kart: Pet Seek and Destroy, and November had the first firmware update in a good long while with Mario 35 icons being a major focal point. Now we're in December and there's been nothing hard announced for this month yet... See where I'm going with this? Even the "dead news" months I mentioned, they made it a point to at least release something. Like I said, July had Paper Mario and August had LEGO Mario, a collab with the richest toy company in the world. March and April saw major DLC releases along with announcements. They've made it a point to have something major Mario be announced or released EVERY SINGLE MONTH despite the Pandemic so, I'll once again say... Steadfast, comrades. December is likely going to bring good stuff too.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Some other things to consider going into this month:

-Nintendo has consistently shown this year that there's roughly a 2 1/2 month gap minimum between retail announcements and releases. That ship has sailed for December and January and February already has 3D World Deluxe. That coincidentally leaves March, the end of the Mario 35 celebration, open for new Mario retail releases. Food for thought.

-The Mario Direct was supposed to be at or close to E3 2020 according to a number of sources. It was pushed back three months to September so stuff that was meant for September is now theoretically set for December. Seeing how yesterday unfolded, this makes a lot of sense. We got Mario 35 icons and a Mario All Stars Tetris 99 tournament despite All Stars being released 3 months ago. Coincidentally, all of this is happening before the Mario Smash tournament which we have good evidence was supposed to be in early September too.

-September 2020 was the actual Mario 35th anniversary. As shown in the previous point, announcements and releases that were supposed to happen in September theoretically should be happening in December. September 13th was the actual anniversary and we got 3D All Stars to celebrate this on the 18th. Because the set up of December is exactly how it was for September, in theory we have until December 18th for something to be announced or released because of this postponement.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, no update today. Still, the tweet about the update from yesterday is not pinned. Could that mean something, as in a bigger announcement worth pinning is yet to come this week?

Reactions: QQS

Firox

Smash Master
So the predictions that we'd get nil turned out to be correct? Shocker. Though, the universe tends to contradict me out of ironic amusement. Maybe I can use some reverse psychology...

We aren't getting ANYTHING Smash related until January! Take THAT, universe!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, interesting development this morning:

The Mario Smash tournament roster list is definitive so this actually suggests the theory I had that Blocked Colonic Tract piss blasted all over the internet last week. The Mario Smash tournament was never meant to be THE tournament of a particular character. Since Hero, every DLC character has had a tournament that was specifically theirs and based on them. A Mario themed tournament was a very broad brush to paint with so it ultimately not specifically being tied to an exact character is a good thing. This also raises a huge question about this tournament... Why was it delayed three months?

We have strong evidence that this tournament was supposed to be early September. If the roster list is now proven to be definitive, why was it pushed back? As we all know, Plant's the last new Mario character added and it's been in since early 2019. This said, everybody was already accounted for back in September... So why the delay? It could have easily been that first Saturday of September with no schedule conflict. The same could be said about the recently announced Tetris 99 tournament. The answer is clearly timing but the question is for what? I think December will give us the answer to that.

Firox

Smash Master
So, interesting development this morning:

The Mario Smash tournament roster list is definitive so this actually suggests the theory I had that Blocked Colonic Tract piss blasted all over the internet last week. The Mario Smash tournament was never meant to be THE tournament of a particular character. Since Hero, every DLC character has had a tournament that was specifically theirs and based on them. A Mario themed tournament was a very broad brush to paint with so it ultimately not specifically being tied to an exact character is a good thing. This also raises a huge question about this tournament... Why was it delayed three months?

We have strong evidence that this tournament was supposed to be early September. If the roster list is now proven to be definitive, why was it pushed back? As we all know, Plant's the last new Mario character added and it's been in since early 2019. This said, everybody was already accounted for back in September... So why the delay? It could have easily been that first Saturday of September with no schedule conflict. The same could be said about the recently announced Tetris 99 tournament. The answer is clearly timing but the question is for what? I think December will give us the answer to that.
No, it won't. This highly suspicious tournament can't have ANYTHING to do with Geno. Geno is NOT the next fighter and will certainly not be revealed within the next couple weeks! You hear me, Universe!? I'm never wrong! NEVER! :psycho:

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
So the predictions that we'd get nil turned out to be correct? Shocker. Though, the universe tends to contradict me out of ironic amusement. Maybe I can use some reverse psychology...

We aren't getting ANYTHING Smash related until January! Take THAT, universe!
:p

I hope we won't need to wait that long.

D

Deleted member

for real. For those of you saying you’re tired of Nintendo making you wait, maybe you should look at how businesses have been hamstrung by COVID. Everything is up in the air. Patterns are less reliable. Quantity is down. That’s the case everywhere.

Nintendo isn’t the only company dealing with revenue and product expectation problems. The only thing that hasn’t changed is your (if I’m addressing you) expectations, and maybe it’s time they do.
To be really fair to the good folks here, I think people are in their right to complain on Smashboards.com about the fact that Nintendo has been silent while their competitors are being advertising machines in spite of the circumstances. It's pissing in the wind but if it makes people feel better, piss away. Nintendo had the option to announce their plans and not set release dates or swear by the release dates they had, or just shut their mouths and let what's able to happen happen slowly... And they chose the latter. No amount of complaining is gonna undo it, but it still sucks nuts and we all wish that maybe John Nintendo would browse the Geno thread and while thinking "maybe it's about time we add Geno to Smash Brothers", he also thinks "maybe it's about time we just make announcements and throw release dates to the wind."

This honestly goes double for Smash fans because we know they had these characters picked last September and it would be the easiest out imaginable for Nintendo to just announce the characters with no solid release date or maybe not even with a reveal trailer readied up, just something to keep the game relevant in these dark times. Again, obviously Nintendo's not gonna let go of the idea that Smash is their bunker buster announcements even in a year that was supposed to be stacked, but it'd just be nice and complaining is good stress relief.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to look into it and the delay of the Maximus Cup is very suspicious too:

To save a click, every month had a Maximus Cup from March 2019 to February 2020 (or at least ran through it). March 2020 didn't and this was probably because of the pandemic. They got right back at it in April. June 2020 didn't have a Maximus Cup, however, they technically had 2 in July 2020 (1 ran into August) to make up for it . Then began a 3 month hiatus which, again, was unnecessary because there was no schedule conflict the first week of September. Once again, it begs the question of why there was such a big delay. Unlike the Mario Smash tournament, however, this wasn't announced until yesterday while the Mario Smash tournament was very publicly announced in a Direct three months ago. Raising suspicions more, we have two delayed events that were likely supposed to be the same week but one was announced significantly earlier than the other.

QQS

Smash Lord
Based on all of this, what are your chances on these, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ?

-Smash Reveal in December?

-Geno reveal in December?

-Geno reveal in general, later in 2021

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, like I outlined earlier, every month since March except June has had at least one of the following: a major Mario retail release, a major Mario announcement, or something Mario downloadable. Retail release is ruled out. The first week of December has been a hard cut off for Nintendo for years plus Nintendo has consistently shown that 2- 2.5 month minimum "heads up" for retail games is something they respect. This basically leaves the other two categories: news or DLC. March, April, September, and November had DLC of some kind. These months also all had announcements too meaning there's been a strong correlation between the two. That said, odds are in our favor that Mario announcements will likely tie into DLC because there's no retail release for this month.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Every other company is doing fine, Nintendo has no excuse

1606844120627.png

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Tonight will potentially be telling too. So far there's only been three times Smash events were totally skipped over: the Tuesday Hero released, the Tuesday Byleth released, and the Tuesday before the Mario Direct.
So you think there will be a skip over for a Smash event for tonight?

Firox

Smash Master
Who the hell calls a street "Seven Stars Lane"? That's almost as stupid as the guys who decided on the names of "Butts County" and "Pee Pee Township".
Really? You find this kind of thing strange? This is brought to you by the same species that has to put a "Do not place in any orifice" warning on a curling iron.

On my way over rn.
Geno's gotta be in one of those houses.
(Knock, knock)

(Opens the door) Man: Oh, hello. Can I help you?

"Would your name happen to be...Gaz?"

Man: Why yes, it is. How do you—

"Give us the doll."

Man: I...I'm not sure what you—

(Pistol whips man) "You can't hide anymore! 20 years was a good run, but it's over! Just give us the doll!"

(Sakurai walks up behind man) Sakurai: It's OK, Gaz.....it's time.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So you think there will be a skip over for a Smash event for tonight?
Possibly. My theory is that there wasn't a Smash event the weekend after the Mario Direct in September because the Mario Smash tournament was supposed to be the event scheduled there. The Mario Direct was supposed to be at or close to E3 three months earlier, lending the idea that something else was originally scheduled for that day and they simply inserted the Mario Direct. What was it? Probably the Fall Direct:

As you can see here, except 2015, there's been a Direct in the first half of September since 2012. That day was probably already set aside for a presentation well in advance anyways (supposedly presentation months are picked at the beginning of the year according to a few of my friends who have been involved with NoA). With this in mind, this Mario tournament was likely supposed to proceed this Fall Direct that never happened given the tournament was pushed back three months. Once again, the question is asked why this was the case and if the tournament was meant to follow something?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Possibly. My theory is that there wasn't a Smash event the weekend after the Mario Direct in September because the Mario Smash tournament was supposed to be the event scheduled there. The Mario Direct was supposed to be at or close to E3 three months earlier, lending the idea that something else was originally scheduled for that day and they simply inserted the Mario Direct. What was it? Probably the Fall Direct:

As you can see here, except 2015, there's been a Direct in the first half of September since 2012. That day was probably already set aside for a presentation well in advance anyways (supposedly presentation months are picked at the beginning of the year according to a few of my friends who have been involved with NoA). With this in mind, this Mario tournament was likely supposed to proceed this Fall Direct that never happened given the tournament was pushed back three months. Once again, the question is asked why this was the case and if the tournament was meant to follow something?
Interesting thoughts of yours, Fatman. Maybe something won't happen in terms of Smash events. What will it mean if there is a Smash event tonight, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom