• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Its been a while since I posted here! Hey, Geno thread! In case anyone wondered about me or remembers me, I have been lurking all of this time! I just haven't posted or have been as active here since COVID slowed things down a bunch. I would love if Nintendo showed up something before year's end, but I'm just expecting nothing until next year just in case.

My opinions haven't changed that much though, Geno is still super likely and he is probably gonna be in. I know this thread goes through ups and downs with thinking he'll be in or not, but just remember all that's in Geno's favor as of now. Some of that stuff is admittedly looking far into things, but there are definitely legitimate talking points that point to his inclusion. I think the waiting for Geno can just make people overthink things. Geno is hella likely and it is for numerous reasons. Need I remind people of our lovely Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's big Geno essay? I still have it saved. I probably will continue to just read the thread's lovely banter (and not so great banter at times) until legitimate news pops up though! You weirdos remain awesome!

Keep the faith Genobros and lasses! And as I always have said, I'll be with you all until the end of the line! Things are still coming together for Geno! Ope, better post the famous Geno thread meme:
28EBE0A9-A955-47C0-BD73-D5F714A3D5C3.jpeg

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Its been a while since I posted here! Hey, Geno thread! In case anyone wondered about me or remembers me, I have been lurking all of this time! I just haven't posted or have been as active here since COVID slowed things down a bunch. I would love if Nintendo showed up something before year's end, but I'm just expecting nothing until next year just in case.

My opinions haven't changed that much though, Geno is still super likely and he is probably gonna be in. I know this thread goes through ups and downs with thinking he'll be in or not, but just remember all that's in Geno's favor as of now. Some of that stuff is admittedly looking far into things, but there are definitely legitimate talking points that point to his inclusion. I think the waiting for Geno can just make people overthink things. Geno is hella likely and it is for numerous reasons. Need I remind people of our lovely Fatmanonice Fatmanonice 's big Geno essay? I still have it saved. I probably will continue to just read the thread's lovely banter (and not so great banter at times) until legitimate news pops up though! You weirdos remain awesome!

Keep the faith Genobros and lasses! And as I always have said, I'll be with you all until the end of the line! Things are still coming together for Geno! Ope, better post the famous Geno thread meme:
View attachment 292630
Hey! Do you have a link to the essay by any chance? I missed out on it the first time around. Thx

MattX20

Smash Hero
My man! Thx pal! Hey Matt, question for you.
I was thinking about Steve and where he was
placed in terms of production for Sakurai. Do we know if Steve was always the planned character to be worked on, or because of the pandemic he jumped in front of the line? I wasn’t sure. Thx!
The only facts I know for sure is that Steve was in negotiation for 5 years and it was possible that he was pushed forward due to the pandemic likely due to the fact he's owned by a Western 3rd party if Sakurai's comments about him in the last column are anything to go by.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario and Octopath spirits coming to the rotation now of all times?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ah, so now they're being added to the game permanently? Interesting timing

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Definitely interesting timing because they usually only do this before new spirits are added. The last time this happened, however, was in early August a couple of days before Small Battlefield update:

They also re-added the Cuphead and Warframe spirits on the day that would have been E3:

When they add spirits back into the game, they usually just do it quietly with new spirit updates and the two examples I mentioned above are the only examples from this year that weren't. So, what does this tell us? There's either new spirits coming tonight or there's a major update of some kind coming "Soon™." Either way, reset the clock: new content is coming in a few weeks at most.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Now is a good time to be a Square Enix fan.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Definitely interesting timing because they usually only do this before new spirits are added. The last time this happened, however, was in early August a couple of days before Small Battlefield update:

They also re-added the Cuphead and Warframe spirits on the day that would have been E3:

When they add spirits back into the game, they usually just do it quietly with new spirit updates and the two examples I mentioned above are the only examples from this year that weren't. So, what does this tell us? There's either new spirits coming tonight or there's a major update of some kind coming "Soon™." Either way, reset the clock: new content is coming in a few weeks at most.
I am ready to suffer again.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just to poke the Sere bear more, the Warframe and Cuphead spirits were re-added on June 9th but NoE put out this tweet a day before Min-Min's reveal, further establishing the connection between spirits being re-added and new content on the horizon:

It's also an interesting situation because we not only haven't had new spirits from an event since August, the Paper Mario and Octopath Traveler spirits could have been very easily re-added before Steve's release but weren't for some odd reason. Even the minor patches following Steven Block-Things would have been an easy opportunity to add them back in but they were specifically saved for reasons unknown. Basically we're looking at a solid month and a half that the Paper Mario and Octopath Traveler spirits could have been easily re-added with ease but chose not to. Fun stuff.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If they're fine with being extremely close to (American) Thanksgiving, then of course something will happen. Most likely a Spirit Event with new spirits being announced at 8 PM EST tonight.
That's the thing though. To redact my previous statement, if we were getting a spirit event tonight with new spirits, they wouldn't have announced these spirits being added back in. (Bill Cosby voice) "Yah see," normally spirits are added back into the game when new spirits are introduced. Like I pointed out, there's rare exceptions and it's because notable updates are on the horizon. In other words, if we were getting new spirits tonight, they would have just unceremoniously added the Paper Mario and Octopath Traveler spirits back into the game and they certainly wouldn't have announced this a whopping 20 hours in advance. If we do get new spirits tonight, this will literally be the first time they've announced old spirits coming back like this.

D

Deleted member

That's the thing though. To redact my previous statement, if we were getting a spirit event tonight with new spirits, they wouldn't have announced these spirits being added back in. (Bill Cosby voice) "Yah see," normally spirits are added back into the game when new spirits are introduced. Like I pointed out, there's rare exceptions and it's because notable updates are on the horizon. In other words, if we were getting new spirits tonight, they would have just unceremoniously added the Paper Mario and Octopath Traveler spirits back into the game and they certainly wouldn't have announced this a whopping 20 hours in advance. If we do get new spirits tonight, this will literally be the first time they've announced old spirits coming back like this.
We should be getting a tournament tonight, since sleeveless shirts was the spirit event last week iirc.

D

Deleted member

Devil’s advocate: Paper Mario / Octopath spirits could be a subliminal way for Nintendo to remind Smash fans to buy those games for the holidays. If Nintendo’s lineup sucks for the holidays, you gotta use every tool in your box to drum up income.
Paper Mario I can agree, but Octopath is 2 years old at this point and available on other platforms. In fact, Octopath spirits were added when Octopath was announced to be coming to uhhhhhh Steam or something.

EDIT: That was actually when it came to Stadia [laughtrack].

Last edited by a moderator:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
This is some pretty fun stuff. Even though I'm not totally expecting a reveal this month, if we indeed are getting a reveal this month, then I gotta admit, both the Octopath Traveler and Paper Mario Spirits coming back in to rotation lines up extremely well for Geno. Here's hoping!

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm... 🤔
  • Last week Bethesda goes on to state that the Switch version of DOOM Eternal will be a digital-only release and that we should expect more information before, or around the end of the month (November).
  • Yesterday Square Enix revealed Neo The World Ends With You coming Summer 2021 for both the Switch and the PS4 (an actual TWEWY sequel).
  • Square Enix also reveals Tomb Raider Reloaded coming to mobile (with a new Lara Croft render that, being honest, looks Smash worthy).
  • Today we get the heads-up that the Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Octopath Traveler spirits will be permanently added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
  • Might seem unrelated but, we got some SKU's leaked last week (or so) of some upcoming Switch titles, INCLUDING DOOM Eternal (although these were removed because of the physical release cancellations).
Huh, it's almost like a bunch of kids getting in line to enter the classroom in an orderly fashion. Will we be seeing the "one more thing" before the year ends?

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm... 🤔
  • Last week Bethesda goes on to state that the Switch version of DOOM Eternal will be a digital-only release and that we should expect more information before, or around the end of the month (November).
  • Yesterday Square Enix revealed Neo The World Ends With You coming Summer 2021 for both the Switch and the PS4 (an actual TWEWY sequel).
  • Square Enix also reveals Tomb Raider Reloaded coming to mobile (with a new Lara Croft render that, being honest, looks Smash worthy).
  • Today we get the heads-up that the Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Octopath Traveler spirits will be permanently added to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
  • Might seem unrelated but, we got some SKU's leaked last week (or so) of some upcoming Switch titles, INCLUDING DOOM Eternal (although these were removed because of the physical release cancellations).
Huh, it's almost like a bunch of kids getting in line to enter the classroom in an orderly fashion. Will we be seeing the "one more thing" before the year ends?
It's certainly looking more probable at least

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
well at this point if there was anything at all this week, it would be either friday or saturday (like the last sakurai presents). I doubt there will be anything on thanksgiving (thursday) altho i dunno if that matters to Japan, but yeah… if there's anything at all anyway

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So is it possible we might get something tomorrow, or this week, even?
This makes the timeframe extremely short. Because of the VGAs, we have this week and next week. Anything after the VGAs is very unlikely and precedent backs this up pretty well. The last general presentation Nintendo has done in December was waaaaaaaaay back in 2013 on 18th, which was a Wednesday. Something to keep in mind is that this was also back when Directs were on a near monthly basis and this hasn't been the case since 2016. The last December Smash presentation was December 15th, 2015, a Tuesday and seemingly deliberately done to not be in the second half of the month. Coincidentally, the 15th is also on a Tuesday this year but this year has very heavily favored major presentations on Wednesdays and Thursdays. This could, however, could potentially act as a release date for someone because, for example, there could be a reveal next Thursday and by going by the exact same timespans as Byleth and Steve (12 days), we'd land on that date. Either way, it's decently set up at this point that we're likely getting something by December 4th.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
With the Paper Mario and Octopath Traveler spirits being permanently added, we’ll see what happens in the coming weeks. Of course, getting the next character this soon would certainly be a delight, but I also wouldn’t mind any new content being added like Small Battlefield(where is Boss Rush?!). Either way, I would be surprised if not even another patch update appears by mid December.

Also, Happy Birthday @Serenade01!:starman::starman::starman:

D

Deleted member

While it's fair to say that Japan doesn't care much about American Thanksgiving, Nintendo of Japan would have to give absolute zero ****s to have a news release on a day that ~250 million customers are gonna be busy not paying attention. It ain't all about America but god damn if it isn't a big factor.

Personally I will be doing nothing on that day so I would appreciate NoJ to take the nuclear option and slam us with a Thanksgiving direct but I'm thinking it's gonna be a normal day.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmm... 🤔
Just to add to your list:

-Massive maintenance last week, coincidentally borderline a carbon copy of what happened before Steve's announcement.

-Said massive maintenance was also the largest we've had since March, the month that technically had two Directs.

-Nintendo launching several major sales since last Friday, most coincidentally ending December 3rd.

-Permanent Kirby store opens December 3rd

-Pop up Mother shop closes December 6th, only to have a long term store open that same day

-Nintendo did a major trademark update for DK this past weekend specifically to greenlight DK games to be released in China.

205.gif

I swear, I probably would have a lot less stress in my life if I didn't follow this stuff so closely.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just to add to your list:

-Massive maintenance last week, coincidentally borderline a carbon copy of what happened before Steve's announcement.

-Said massive maintenance was also the largest we've had since March, the month that technically had two Directs.

-Nintendo launching several major sales since last Friday, most coincidentally ending December 3rd.

-Permanent Kirby store opens December 3rd

-Pop up Mother shop closes December 6th, only to have a long term store open that same day

-Nintendo did a major trademark update for DK this past weekend specifically to greenlight DK games to be released in China.

View attachment 292643

I swear, I probably would have a lot less stress in my life if I didn't follow this stuff so closely.
and knowing all the other stuff you've heard in the past year or so, it would be a huge relief to have at least some of it confirmed by year's end

D

Deleted member

I'm still not really expecting anything huge on Thanksgiving, but if there was ever a year to make such an announcement on that day it'd be this one, given that many people aren't going to be gathering together with their families.
That's a good point, and one would hope that large gatherings are off the table, but in the words of a popular song, this is America. Responsible immediate families will also likely still observe the tradition, so that's a fair number of eyes that would be pulled away from a potential announcement.

Also, Happy Birthday @Serenade01!:starman::starman::starman:
Thanks, bruv.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's a good point, and one would hope that large gatherings are off the table, but in the words of a popular song, this is America. Responsible immediate families will also likely still observe the tradition, so that's a fair number of eyes that would be pulled away from a potential announcement.

Thanks, bruv.
It's your birthday? You know what that means, right? It's officially the day Waluigi starts his journey to cuck Geno out of Smash on your behalf.

tenor (11).gif

But, yeah, Happy Birthday.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

Thanks, bruv.
Yeah, I guess this is indeed America. The country where acknowledging the mere existence of the virus was considered a political opinion earlier on in the year.

On a brighter note, happy birthday!

StarLight42

Smash Lord
While it's fair to say that Japan doesn't care much about American Thanksgiving, Nintendo of Japan would have to give absolute zero ****s to have a news release on a day that ~250 million customers are gonna be busy not paying attention. It ain't all about America but god damn if it isn't a big factor.

Personally I will be doing nothing on that day so I would appreciate NoJ to take the nuclear option and slam us with a Thanksgiving direct but I'm thinking it's gonna be a normal day.
So it was your birthday huh? Hope you can accept your late birthday present.

It will be a Deluxe ™ Geno Mii Costume with a side of Neku as a playable fighter

1606241122757.png

I do actually respect you a lot for your ability to firmly crack the whip and vibe check some of us who get too wild with speculation. I hope you enjoyed your day, regardless of all the speculative nonsense that happened.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom