• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
OK, so my takeaway from this latest mini direct:

-Monster Hunter and Ori are actually significant, so I can't really call this Partner showcase a dumpster fire like the last two.
-While some of the titles are certainly relevant, none of the content presented really did anything for me.
-If this showcase is to be seen as the current pinnacle of partner showcases, I will never again allow myself to be hyped for one. They just don't have the oomph of a regular direct.
-Despite the efforts of Nintendo to resist leaks by having a live stream, news of MH leaked early anyway. I suppose the good news about that is that we can at least rely on certain leakers for information in the short term.
-The Smash silence continues. MaYbE nExT wEek.....

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Actually, I have the source right here.

While it doesn't mention Smash, they didn't want him in MvC and think the monsters are the best way to represent the series.
1. The Hunter was in Marvel VS Capcom Infinite

1600353878849.png

2. We had the Monster Hunter Mii Fighters in Smash 4

1600353907302.png

3. Ken in SFV can get a Rathalos Armor skin that more or less makes him The Hunter

1600353828200.png

Maybe back during MVC3 they felt that way, but it's obvious by this point that their stance on the matter has definitely changed

Maybe they don't like establishing a "standard" look for the Hunters Armor Set.
I think it's pretty clear from all the times the Hunter has been in something else that they consider the Rathalos Armor to be the "standard" look for Armor Sets

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey Fatman! Wasn't Phoenix Wright a more popular request than Dante during Brawl speculation? I remember seeing a couple of good Challenger Approaching mock up videos for Phoenix during Brawl's release.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Anyway, pivoting back to focusing on the actual direct...
  • "More videoS in this series will be releasing this year"
Something Something "No General Direct this year", Something Something "Smash is getting dropped on it's own", I think people get my deal at this point.
  • "Dude you like Monster Hunter? Cause we've got Monster Hunter"
This is a HUGE get for Nintendo still, getting Monster Hunter back after World became the best selling Capcom game EVER on other platforms is telling of how much they want the portability for the Japanese market.
  • Wow Microsoft didn't you say no more Xbox Games were coming to Switch? What happened????
Nice to finally see it, good sign for stuff like MCC which seems stuck in limbo.

Also Disgaia 6 is exclusive and 3D now, cool and another get from Playstation. All in all, good but jesus christ we still have 2 more of these don't we. At the very least No More Heroes has to be in one of them right?

Something else I noticed is that we actually had 2 games for a March 26th release date, Monster Hunter and Balland Wonderland. Normally I wouldn't read into this... buuuuuut with the inevitable Switch Pro in 2021 I have to wonder, Monster Hunter 4 DID release alongside the New 3DS in 2015...hmmmmmm.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
I can see why. Phoenix is just my personal insight. Not a single Capcom character seems likely at all to me tbh, but if I had to look at one series objectively. Ace Attorney seems like it'd bring the most to the table.
Yeah, there's nothing saying we have to get another Capcom character. But there are still some missing Capcom Mii costumes, which is one of the things we list as a thing in Geno's favor as well as another Namco character's favor.

Edit: I should note that I've never played MH, DmC, or Phoenix Wright so I have no bias towards any of them. Just stating what I feel is likelier.

Last edited:

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Actually, the weirdest thing about Monster Hunter in Smash is that it didn't even get a stage. It was right there in front of the makers of Smash (the boss area of Rathalos). They had to tweak it a little bit and then, boom. Monster Hunter stage. But nope.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Actually, the weirdest thing about Monster Hunter in Smash is that it didn't even get a stage. It was right there in front of the makers of Smash (the boss area of Rathalos). They had to tweak it a little bit and then, boom. Monster Hunter stage. But nope.
I'm hoping we get some more standalone stages that aren't just different sized Battlefields. Metal Cavern from Smash 64 please.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So my overall thoughts...
  • Positives:
    • We ended up getting not one, but two brand new Monster Hunter games. Color me impressed.
    • An announcement for a new Disgaea game.
    • A Switch port of Sniper Elite 4. Could've done better, but not a bad choice.
    • A reminder that Hades is coming to Switch today.
    • Some more info on Balan Wonderworld and Rune Factory 5.
    • A Switch port of Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Honestly not that surprising to me after the first one came to Switch, but still a cool announcement.
    • The smaller games that people would call "shovelware" like Fitness Boxing 2 were kept to a somewhat minimum.
  • Negatives:
    • Only 15 minutes worth of content.
    • Still no news on Bayonetta 3, Doom Eternal, or Bravely Default II.
... well, not gonna lie, that was actually decent. Still some room for improvement here, and it's still no substitute for a regular Direct, but I'd be willing to call this an actual Direct. Certainly not a huge disappointment like the previous two... now hopefully it's onto Smash news in the next two weeks...

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
No matter what happens in Fighter's Pass 2, I'm damn postive that Geno, Crash, and a Namco rep are going to take 3 out of the 5 remaining slots. I wouldn't complain as that would be a fantastic lineup. And I don't really think you could go wrong with Namco.
Haha! Boy would I love this to be true. I sure hope Crash AND Geno both make it. Only time will tell. They both deserve it for sure. Geno will get in from fan demand alone and Crash from pure legacy I'd say.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
From Namco, personally I would want a Soul Calibur rep like Yoshimitsu or Nightmare. But I think it's most likely going to be Lloyd Irving due to Lloyd being the only Smash 4 Mii costume to get no content or reference in Ultimate whatsoever. Geno and Lloyd are coming back, but as playable characters.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
From Namco, personally I would want a Soul Calibur rep like Yoshimitsu or Nightmare. But I think it's most likely going to be Lloyd Irving due to Lloyd being the only Smash 4 Mii costume to get no content or reference in Ultimate whatsoever. Geno and Lloyd are coming back, but as playable characters.
Yoshimitsu would be cool and would represent both Soul Calibur and Tekken, but yeah it will be Lloyd.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Wasn't the 21st the last of the 3 dates in that one tweet that HGV69 liked? Is she really banking all her last bits of "credibility" on that date specifically?

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
If we don't get a reveal next week because of TGS, there's still three days left of September the week after, but at that point it might as well be October.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yoshimitsu would be cool and would represent both Soul Calibur and Tekken, but yeah it will be Lloyd.
Dude, you have no idea how badly I want Yoshimitsu in Smash. Min Min gave me hope as Min Min isn't the guy on the box. I really hope they pull a Min Min with Soul Calibur and choose Yoshimitsu someday.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
As deserving as I think Monster Hunter is to be repped in Smash, I don't really think it will happen personally. I feel like Byleth kinda checks all the boxes for what a Monster Hunter rep could have been like, with using various weapons and such. And while I don't think this necessarily "kills" a Monster Hunter's chance of getting included, seeing as how we had ARMS representation with Spring Man, its still strange for a major third-party franchise like Monster Hunter to be represented in such a way in the base game with just a boss. Their is a possibility in my mind that Sakurai considers Rathalos as a boss to be the best representation for the franchise, considering Sakurai approached Capcom JUST for that.

Besides, I don't really think a MH rep really has enough "evidence" and hints pointing towards an inclusion unlike Geno and other characters we usually talk about here. The only thing that is really going in a Monster Hunter's favor is the fact that a new game is coming to the Switch soon, which usually never means anything at all.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We really shouldn't be waiting until December to hear about the 2nd Fighter in this Fighters pass. Maybe the third or 4th, but god I hope not the 2nd.
I wouldn't put this pass Nintendo at this point. FP2 revealed in December sounds like something they would do now.

Ngl it may look like a sakurai presents could happen, but imma just brace myself for this...
View attachment 285923
One Pokemon Direct and 5 more Partners showcases.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
''Merry Christmas you rotten god damn kids. Here's your ****ing wooden puppet. Now get off my lawn and stop asking for things. We've done them all!"

"But sir----Mr. Nintendo. What about Waluigi?"

''You dare speak that name? LEAVE. NOW."

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hunter was a downloadable character at Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite.
1. The Hunter was in Marvel VS Capcom Infinite

View attachment 285917

2. We had the Monster Hunter Mii Fighters in Smash 4

View attachment 285918

3. Ken in SFV can get a Rathalos Armor skin that more or less makes him The Hunter

View attachment 285916

Maybe back during MVC3 they felt that way, but it's obvious by this point that their stance on the matter has definitely changed

I think it's pretty clear from all the times the Hunter has been in something else that they consider the Rathalos Armor to be the "standard" look for Armor Sets
So a bit of a correction: Monster Hunter was TECHNICALLY in the base game of MvCI as she was in the story mode even though she was DLC that cost extra cash to get as playable. One of the many problems with that horrible game.

Also, the monsters still represent the series best, as the Hunter is always a generic avatar for your character a la Steve? Clearly, no monster could be a playable character in Smash unless it was a smaller one but the big ones are the ones who are iconic. Thus, it is better to incorporate the iconic armors for Miis instead. In Teppen, the playable characters from Monster Hunter are Rathalos, Nergigante and a Felyne. No Hunter to be found there.

In Wings Of Ruin, there are named characters who are important, but it's still mostly focused on Rathalos and an egg and Stories is a spin-off RPG series that is much more narrative driven. When they introduce new content to Monster Hunter, do they show the new gear or accessories first? No, it's all about the monsters, the rest comes after.

Using the Rathalos Armor in SFV and Smash 4 as evidence to back you up falls short because the armor itself is what is iconic, not the hunter, which is why it can be easily used as skins for generic Miis and the armor is red and semi-flamboyant which fits Ken. Once again, this speaks more for Rathalos being the flagship character of Monster Hunter. Even if you consider the generic Hunter armor, once again it's iconic because it's the first armor you get and you tend to keep it for a bit before you can upgrade even if it's only bits and peaces of it, not because of the hunter.

In essence, it's highly unlikely for Smash to have a playable monster from Monster Hunter, so the best way to represent the series is not by a fighter, by with iconic armor sets for Miis and Rathalos as both an AT and boss.

This is why the odds of a Monster Hunter rep are so abysmally low. Also, can we stop being reactionary and shouting from rooftops every time a game is announced for Switch that they must be getting a character in Ultimate? How many times must this be thoroughly proven wrong before you stop barking it like a dog who thinks they saw a squirrel. Use your brain on this one, guys.

Both of these titles are for next year, one of them being the middle of next year. This would mean that to coincide with these plans, Capcom would have had to negotiate for Monster Hunter to have a character before June 2019 to have them in FP2...but Capcom already negotiated for Rathalos to be an AT and boss for the base game and no MH character got in the base game or FP1. Wouldn't that have been the time to negotiate for that, during the massive success of Monster Hunter World and the rising hype of Iceborne? Not over a year later for two games that don't come out until next year?

Come on guys, you can do better than this.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I still see that the Sakurai Presents ??? character showcase is more for the last part of news wave. Smash news can cover other smaller news due to how many people have hype with Ultimate.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
So a bit of a correction: Monster Hunter was TECHNICALLY in the base game of MvCI as she was in the story mode even though she was DLC that cost extra cash to get as playable. One of the many problems with that horrible game.

Also, the monsters still represent the series best, as the Hunter is always a generic avatar for your character a la Steve? Clearly, no monster could be a playable character in Smash unless it was a smaller one but the big ones are the ones who are iconic. Thus, it is better to incorporate the iconic armors for Miis instead. In Teppen, the playable characters from Monster Hunter are Rathalos, Nergigante and a Felyne. No Hunter to be found there.

In Wings Of Ruin, there are named characters who are important, but it's still mostly focused on Rathalos and an egg and Stories is a spin-off RPG series that is much more narrative driven. When they introduce new content to Monster Hunter, do they show the new gear or accessories first? No, it's all about the monsters, the rest comes after.

Using the Rathalos Armor in SFV and Smash 4 as evidence to back you up falls short because the armor itself is what is iconic, not the hunter, which is why it can be easily used as skins for generic Miis and the armor is red and semi-flamboyant which fits Ken. Once again, this speaks more for Rathalos being the flagship character of Monster Hunter. Even if you consider the generic Hunter armor, once again it's iconic because it's the first armor you get and you tend to keep it for a bit before you can upgrade even if it's only bits and peaces of it, not because of the hunter.

In essence, it's highly unlikely for Smash to have a playable monster from Monster Hunter, so the best way to represent the series is not by a fighter, by with iconic armor sets for Miis and Rathalos as both an AT and boss.

This is why the odds of a Monster Hunter rep are so abysmally low. Also, can we stop being reactionary and shouting from rooftops every time a game is announced for Switch that they must be getting a character in Ultimate? How many times must this be thoroughly proven wrong before you stop barking it like a dog who thinks they saw a squirrel. Use your brain on this one, guys.

Both of these titles are for next year, one of them being the middle of next year. This would mean that to coincide with these plans, Capcom would have had to negotiate for Monster Hunter to have a character before June 2019 to have them in FP2...but Capcom already negotiated for Rathalos to be an AT and boss for the base game and no MH character got in the base game or FP1. Wouldn't that have been the time to negotiate for that, during the massive success of Monster Hunter World and the rising hype of Iceborne? Not over a year later for two games that don't come out until next year?

Come on guys, you can do better than this.
Oh, you misunderstand me. I don't think a MH rep is happening, I was just illustrating that putting the Hunter in something isn't as off the table as people think

The simple fact is that Byleth dashed our hopes and stole Monster Hunter's moveset more or less; and I'm still of the mind that if any Capcom rep is happening it's Dante

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If Geno is the next fighter and he get's announced in September or October, I won't mind not hearing anymore big Nintendo news until early next year. Hell, FP8 could be announced in April for all I care if Geno is next.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also, the monsters still represent the series best, as the Hunter is always a generic avatar for your character a la Steve?
Steve and Alex are actually their own characters too, as Mojang uses them as their own characters a lot in animations, trailers, videos, and merchandise, and you can choose their skins in Dungeons where they’re not the default. Steve is also on all the box art (Alex being on the newer box arts/game icons with him). I think they’re kinda like how Pokémon Trainers are, except Minecraft is more focused on what the player does in their world than cool monsters.

I don’t think the Hunters really get treated as their own characters, do they? Aside from MvC I guess, though I haven’t played it and apparently her name is just “Monster Hunter.”

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of Monster Hunter in Smash, I strongly doubt it for one main reason: brand expansion. Not a topic I bring up a lot because it's a bit too adulty for my tastes and kind of takes some of the mystique out of Smash picks but I'd argue it's very relevant here.

When it comes to Smash third party picks, it's pretty obvious that the first pick of a third party is overwhelmingly their most iconic. Konami got Snake, SEGA got Sonic, etc. Capcom is especially interesting. Looking at their line up, Megaman isn't in the top 3 sales wise:

It's ranked 4th and Resident Evil has had almost triple the overall sales. Nobody will deny, however, that Megaman is unmistakably Capcom's most iconic character and the strongest overall connection to Nintendo fans. Once Megaman was added, it was time to choose another. Street Fighter is ranked 3rd but nobody will deny that Ryu is a gaming giant. Capcom also not so subtly used Ryu in Smash to "relaunch" the Street Fighter brand on Nintendo platforms. Now we're in an interesting position that points to the strong possibility of a third Capcom franchise rep. I doubt they will go with Monster Hunter and I'll explain why.

Monster Hunter doesn't really "need" to be established on Nintendo platforms. It sells like crazy no matter what it's put on and even the 3DS and Wii U games pulled in some very impressive numbers. The cross market of Monster Hunter and Nintendo fans is very, very strong. In a word, Monster Hunter doesn't "need the boost." Whether Monster Hunter is in Smash or not, sales are still going to pour in because they already have and will easily continue to.

What is a Capcom franchise that would benefit from a Smash appearance though? What is a Capcom franchise that currently has very "young" Nintendo loyalty but fans have very vocally demanded more? What is a Capcom franchise that has overwhelmingly gone to a competitor in the past but the market on their own side has recently been busted wide open? The answer is Megaman Soccer, I mean... Devil May Cry.

Coincidentally, Dante is also a super heavily requested character, making the situation even better. Popular character? Check. Opens up new markets? Check. Sticks a finger in Sony's eye? Check. Gives Nintendo yet another M rated series? Check. You get the idea. I think he's a putz but I can't deny that Dante is a golden goose of a character, much in the same vein as Bayonetta, Joker, and Hero. Monster Hunter in Smash is just kind of redundant but Dante in Smash opens a lot of doors for both Nintendo and Capcom and just one of the reasons why I feel they'll ultimately go with him if Capcom gets another rep.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I'm not at all confident with the Hunter and am pretty doubtful of another Capcom rep in general but I never got the idea of 'Byleth taking up the same dynamic Monster Hunter would'.

Its based on assumptions that just because having a moveset which would incorporate multiple weapons would overlap with the dynamic another character has going on even though the execution would be way different.

If this was a legit argument you could use it for say, Shiek and Greninja who both have teleport type attacks and have that ninja dynamic. But the execution is way different that they couldn't be more different. The only move they have in common is literally their up air and maybe a few getup attacks and that's it.

That's why I never got the argument. Monster Hunter could switch weapons to alter attacks which would achieve quite unique which is not at all similar to Byleth who has a different attack based on the directional specials, aerials and smashes which isn't even a unique mechanic. It's more gimmicky from a dev perspective but from ours it's pretty much still a standard smash character

Even without weapon switching, there are I think 14 to choose from so they wouldn't be confined to give them moves similar to Byleth's. They could even give them a more trapped focussed playstyle which would be awfully appropriate. You just need to be more imaginative. This is the geno thread but it was being threw around so I thought I'd mention it

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'd just like to point out how startling the difference is in the reactions to the last two Partner Directs and this one. Really the problem isn't the format it was the lack of anything of genuine substance until now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom