• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
If the uproar was so important for them, then they would have started with him. Like I said. I can be wrong, and if I am, I´m happy for you. I just can´t see them double-dip on any franchise or company (when it comes to the third party).
Timing is key.
Nintendo didn't start the Fighter Pass with Banjo.

And what can Waluigi offer other than his own presence ?
A lot, but again it wouldn't be cohesive to have Waluigi represent a random number of Mario Spin-offs.

The Fighter Pass has each character represent their game of origin via a new stage, and a carefully selected soundtrack.

But then there's Piranha Plant, and Small Battlefield.
Two bonus DLC additions that aren't confined to the restrictions of a traditional Fighter Pack.

This works in Waluigi's favor.
He's extremely popular, he's a 1st party character from Nintendo's flagship franchise, and he has a working model in the game.

Droodle

Smash Lord
There's really no reason to see Geno and Waluigi as a 'there can only be one' situation. I've said it before, but they're entirely different types of characters, despite both having the 'Mario' name attached to them. They have basically nothing in common, and would cater to entirely different parts of the audience without 'taking away' anything from each other. Geno is a Mario character, yes, but that means something different than it does for Waluigi. Think of it more like a subseries situation - for instance, Prince Peasley is a Mario & Luigi character, while Vivian is a Paper Mario character. They share the greater 'Mario' blanket, but that's it.
Like 7NATOR said, at the end of the day they are both Mario characters; which while it is a wide series, it's still just a singular series. They do compete against each other, in some shape. Even if the audience doesn't overlap too hard. Not to mention Mario itself is super well represented already without Geno and Waluigi, and on top of that there are series like Zelda, Xenoblade, Golden Sun, etc that have been criminally underrepresented in Smash for a long time also competing for another character(especially if the Golden Sun rumors end up being true).

Sure, technically speaking would could still get two Mario characters added soon; and it's not like it's impossible or anything. But I wouldn't really say it's a super realistic scenario. We could also get another Fire Emblem character as well, but I wouldn't bet money on those odds.

I pretty much treat Geno and Waluigi the same way as I treat something like SMT and Persona. Sure, they both have different fanbases but they're essentially a part of the same overall franchise. Now it's totally possible we end up getting SMT 5 protagonist in Smash, but with Joker already being a part of pass 1 IMO it hurts the chances of an SMT character being a fighter pass 2, and I wouldn't really say that character is likely or anything.

Hasn't stopped them before :4feroy::4corrin:

EDIT: I didn't even account for the fact :4lucina::4robinm: were already in the base game too
But even then though, Smash 4's DLC practices were pretty different compared to Smash Ultimate. In Ultimate, they finalized all the fighters first before actually working on the FP but in Smash 4 they sort of winged things as they went along. It's safe to assume that Corrin was only starting to become a thing around the time when Roy was getting finished up. And even then, Roy and Lucina are semiclones/clones and one of them is returning fighter from Melee.

Yeah, and let's do that by ignoring the one character whose deconfirmation caused the biggest uproar in Smash history.

Not even Ridley or K. Rool generated the same kind of impact when they were deconfirmed in previous Smash games.
To be fair though, the uproar in Japan (where Nintendo primarily looks to) wasn't nearly as bad as the West, and as far as I can tell it's not like Waluigi is a absolutely huge request over there nowadays.

Sure, they probably know that Waluigi had caused a big uproar in the West, but that was still 2 years ago, which is plenty of time to let the backlash die off.
And it's pretty clear Nintendo straight up does not care about any uproar considering that they put in Byleth, despite FE being controversial within the Smash community since Corrin got added.

That isn't to say Waluigi can't get in either, because he absolutely can and there is still more than enough demand for him. Just that chances are that if Waluigi gets in, Geno probably won't (much like the opposite too). At the same time if we say something like Paper Mario is getting in, that would put a dent in both Waluigi and Geno's chances. They'd still be "possible" but I wouldn't really get my hopes up, especially if they aren't revealed alongside whichever Mario rep does end up getting in.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I don't think it's ever been implied that more than one character from one series can't be in the same pass. Sure, you could say that it hasn't happened yet as the base of your reasoning... but then that's exactly what many people used in their 'spirits can't be fighters' reasoning.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Does Waluigi actually represent the Mario sports titles, or do people just believe his character would if he were to get into Smash? I feel like Waluigi on his own doesn't really represent... anything besides Mario spin-offs, but that isn't necessarily exclusive to just Waluigi.

I think it'd be cool if he got in regardless cuz it's ****ing Waluigi, but Nintendo really has to give this man some justice, Waluigi doesn't really stand for anything.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Like 7NATOR said, at the end of the day they are both Mario characters; which while it is a wide series, it's still just a singular series. They do compete against each other, in some shape. Even if the audience doesn't overlap too hard. Not to mention Mario itself is super well represented already without Geno and Waluigi, and on top of that there are series like Zelda, Xenoblade, Golden Sun, etc that have been criminally underrepresented in Smash for a long time also competing for another character(especially if the Golden Sun rumors end up being true).

Sure, technically speaking would could still get two Mario characters added soon; and it's not like it's impossible or anything. But I wouldn't really say it's a super realistic scenario. We could also get another Fire Emblem character as well, but I wouldn't bet money on those odds.

I pretty much treat Geno and Waluigi the same way as I treat something like SMT and Persona. Sure, they both have different fanbases but they're essentially a part of the same overall franchise. Now it's totally possible we end up getting SMT 5 protagonist in Smash, but with Joker already being a part of pass 1 IMO it hurts the chances of an SMT character being a fighter pass 2, and I wouldn't really say that character is likely or anything.

But even then though, Smash 4's DLC practices were pretty different compared to Smash Ultimate. In Ultimate, they finalized all the fighters first before actually working on the FP but in Smash 4 they sort of winged things as they went along. It's safe to assume that Corrin was only starting to become a thing around the time when Roy was getting finished up. And even then, Roy and Lucina are semiclones/clones and one of them is returning fighter from Melee.

To be fair though, the uproar in Japan (where Nintendo primarily looks to) wasn't nearly as bad as the West, and as far as I can tell it's not like Waluigi is a absolutely huge request over there nowadays.

Sure, they probably know that Waluigi had caused a big uproar in the West, but that was still 2 years ago, which is plenty of time to let the backlash die off.
And it's pretty clear Nintendo straight up does not care about any uproar considering that they put in Byleth, despite FE being controversial within the Smash community since Corrin got added.

That isn't to say Waluigi can't get in either, because he absolutely can and there is still more than enough demand for him. Just that chances are that if Waluigi gets in, Geno probably won't (much like the opposite too). At the same time if we say something like Paper Mario is getting in, that would put a dent in both Waluigi and Geno's chances. They'd still be "possible" but I wouldn't really get my hopes up, especially if they aren't revealed alongside whichever Mario rep does end up getting in.
So what you're saying is, even though FE gained 6 fighters in the course of two games, just getting 2 Mario characters, you know The Big Boss series of Nintendo, in the actual last wave of new Smash characters for a very long time, is unrealistic???

Excuse me, but how and why ?!?!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Timing is key.
Nintendo didn't start the Fighter Pass with Banjo.

And what can Waluigi offer other than his own presence ?
A lot, but again it wouldn't be cohesive to have Waluigi represent a random number of Mario Spin-offs.

The Fighter Pass has each character represent their game of origin via a new stage, and a carefully selected soundtrack.

But then there's Piranha Plant, and Small Battlefield.
Two bonus DLC additions that aren't confined to the restrictions of a traditional Fighter Pack.

This works in Waluigi's favor.
He's extremely popular, he's a 1st party character from Nintendo's flagship franchise, and he has a working model in the game.
They started with Joker which was a big deal, unlike Arms, for then to continue with Hero and Banjo which were both big deals. If they wanted to start big, Waluigi would have been one of the obvious choices if they wanted to go first-party (I have never said that he isn´t demanded)... And have I said anything that Waluigi can´t bring anything of his own? No, I have not. I even pitched potential fighters pass he could come with if he ended up playable months ago. All I have said is that I can´t see the double-dip on any franchise/company, and that includes the Mario franchise even with bonus fighters in mind, and I belive Geno is the likelier of the two.

I find it likelier that they cover the most bases (aka franchises) as possible within the end game. But like I said, I can be wrong, and if I´m wrong, I´m glad for you.

PS, in case you missed it. I have could care less if he gets in. I´m only against the likes of Son Goku, Batman, or Spongebob.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
They started with Joker which was a big deal, unlike Arms, for then to continue with Hero and Banjo which were both big deals. If they wanted to start big, Waluigi would have been one of the obvious choices if they wanted to go first-party (I have never said that he isn´t demanded)... And have I said anything that Waluigi can´t bring anything of his own? No, I have not. I even pitched potential fighters pass he could come with if he ended up playable months ago. All I have said is that I can´t see the double-dip on any franchise/company, and that includes the Mario franchise even with bonus fighters in mind, and I belive Geno is the likelier of the two.

I find it likelier that they cover the most bases (aka franchises) as possible within the end game. But like I said, I can be wrong, and if I´m wrong, I´m glad for you.
But they can't, Waluigi doesn't have a game to call his own.

He can be part of the actual Fighters Pass, but he will still look and feel shoehorned in comparison to Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, and Min Min.

The only way he can be included, is as a bonus DLC fighter.

And if Geno is part of Fighters Pass 2, why release Waluigi early when Nintendo can release him alongside Geno's Fighter Pack in celebration of Mario's 35th anniversary for maximum effect ?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I don't think it's ever been implied that more than one character from one series can't be in the same pass. Sure, you could say that it hasn't happened yet as the base of your reasoning... but then that's exactly what many people used in their 'spirits can't be fighters' reasoning.
Sure it's never implied. But that's where speculation and everything come in, like I always say there are no explicit rules aside from non-videogame characters can't get in. But we can assume a couple things here and there, and we do.

For example:
- Mii costumes added in as DLC around/after the time FP 2 was confirmed, aren't going to be in the DLC in FP 2. So we can expect that characters like Slime, Altair, Rabbids, etc won't become fighters in FP 2. This is entirely a "fan-rule", but it's still a pretty likely fan rule due to reasoning.

- Spirits added after FP 2 can't get upgraded. Same as above, and I wouldn't really expect RE characters to get in as fighters now.

Is it technically possible? Yeah. Would I bet money on it? Not really. Most of the speculative side of Smash is just based off of logic rather than any hard official information.

Unless you also think that Slime, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed aren't all deconfirmed. In which case, why?
So what you're saying is, even though FE gained 6 fighters in the course of two games, just getting 2 Mario characters, you know The Big Boss series of Nintendo, in the actual last wave of new Smash characters for a very long time, is unrealistic???

Excuse me, but how and why ?!?!
I mean if you travel back like 6 years in the past and say that within the next 2 Smash games, 6 FE fighters will get added into Smash I would still say that it's a bit on the unrealistic side. It happened. On the other hand, most of the FE characters that got added were clones/semiclones which totaled up to 3 unique characters rather than 6. If we count all the Mario characters added since Smash 4 we have around 4 completely unique characters comparatively.

Like I said, Walugi and Geno can absolutely happen together, but I wouldn't put my hopes in those odds. I wouldn't really say Byleth was likely for FP 1 either, and I was wrong about that.
Just the fact that "Mario" is a "big" Nintendo series isn't really enough to say that it's getting 2 characters. Especially considering that they haven't really shown off a severe bias towards Mario in Smash beforehand, so it's a weird implication to suggest that they would now. And besides we all know that they value the primary Mario cast far more than the spin-off cast as well, as long as they get their Mario mainstays in Smash, they seem content.

Going by your logic we could assume that FP 2 is:
-Geno (because Mario is big)
-Waluigi (because Mario is big)
-2 Pokemon characters (because haha Pokemon go brrr)
-2 Zelda characters (because we all know that BOTW 2 will be huge and their big game next year)

Is it possible? Yeah. Is it LIKELY? I personally would say that at most each of these series could get 1 fighter.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But they can't, Waluigi doesn't have a game to call his own.
Stage - Waluigi´s Pinball
Spirits - spirits from spin-off characters that have yet to be included
Music - music from the spin-offs, be it Mario Kart, Tennis, or Party that has yet to be included.

Who says he has to have his own game to get a pass?

And if Geno is part of Fighters Pass 2, why release Waluigi early when Nintendo can release him alongside Geno's Fighter Pack in celebration of Mario's 35th anniversary for maximum effect ?
Fair point, but if Mario gets two characters because "35th anniversary" I suppose we will get 2 Zelda characters next year because of its 35th anniversary which is next year? Then the pass truly is the ultimate end.....

Like I said, Walugi and Geno can absolutely happen together, but I wouldn't put my hopes in those odds. I wouldn't really say Byleth was likely for FP 1 either, and I was wrong about that.
Just the fact that "Mario" is a "big" Nintendo series isn't really enough to say that it's getting 2 characters.

-2 Zelda characters (because we all know that BOTW 2 will be huge and there big game next year)
Pretty much this

TheBeastHimself

Speculation is nonsense because either way one of the character slots will undoubtedly go to a Fire Emblem character.

Fire Emblem bad.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Sure it's never implied. But that's where speculation and everything come in, like I always say there are no explicit rules aside from non-videogame characters can't get in. But we can assume a couple things here and there, and we do.

For example:
- Mii costumes added in as DLC around/after the time FP 2 was confirmed, aren't going to be in the DLC in FP 2. So we can expect that characters like Slime, Altair, Rabbids, etc won't become fighters in FP 2. This is entirely a "fan-rule", but it's still a pretty likely fan rule due to reasoning.

- Spirits added after FP 2 can't get upgraded. Same as above, and I wouldn't really expect RE characters to get in as fighters now.

Is it technically possible? Yeah. Would I bet money on it? Not really. Most of the speculative side of Smash is just based off of logic rather than any hard official information.

Unless you also think that Slime, Resident Evil, Assassin's Creed aren't all deconfirmed. In which case, why?

I mean if you travel back like 6 years in the past and say that within the next 2 Smash games, 6 FE fighters will get added into Smash I would still say that it's a bit on the unrealistic side. It happened. On the other hand, most of the FE characters that got added were clones/semiclones which totaled up to 3 unique characters.

Just the fact that "Mario" is a "big" Nintendo series isn't really enough to say that it's getting 2 characters.

-2 Zelda characters (because we all know that BOTW 2 will be huge and there big game next year)

Is it possible? Yeah. Is it LIKELY? I personally would say that at most each of these series could get 1 fighter.
That's not my logic though.
Waluigi and Geno are two of the most wanted characters for Smash, they also just happen to be part of Nintendo's flagship franchise.

I don't think there's any Pokemon or Zelda rep that is currently demanded as much as them.

Skull Kid and Sceptile used to be one of the biggest requests for Smash, but in current times support for them faded in comparison to Waluigi and Geno.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Stage - Waluigi´s Pinball
Spirits - spirits from spin-off characters that have yet to be included
Music - music from the spin-offs, be it Mario Kart, Tennis, or Party that has yet to be included.

Who says he has to have his own game to get a pass?

Fair point, but if Mario gets two characters because "35th anniversary" I suppose we will get 2 Zelda characters next year because of its 35th anniversary which is next year? Then the pass truly is the ultimate end.....

Pretty much this
I didn't say it was impossible to create a Fighter Pack for Waluigi, rather that it wouldn't be focused or cohesive as a Geno Fighter Pack.

Bonus DLC is currently Waluigi's only chance.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I didn't say it was impossible to create a Fighter Pack for Waluigi, rather that it wouldn't be focused or cohesive as a Geno Fighter Pack.

Bonus DLC is currently Waluigi's only chance.
You didn´t answer my comment about Zelda

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
You didn´t answer my comment about Zelda
I don't have to.
And I'm not familiar with the inner workings of Zelda characters in Smash.

So far, it seems the Mario series had no issue adding new characters with each new entry in Smash, but Zelda seems fixated on the Tri-Force gang.
Think it has to do with the Zelda team, more than Sakurai.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I don't think Fire Emblem is a suitable comparison when it comes to several characters in the same pass. Lucina was obviously a clone which is automatically incomparable for the rest of the DLC as we aren't getting those and Roy was a semi clone veteran. Corrin was requested by Nintendo and it seems he probably wouldn't have been added if Nintendo didn't request it. Robin was chosen by Sakurai for whatever reason although I vaguely recall hearing moveset potential. That's not even taking into account the difference between base game and DLC.

This is nearly confirmed to be the last we are getting and 5 slots are left, and if franchise distribution isn't taken into account (which was apparently a major factor in deciding brawls roster according to design docs) that would mean we have 2 Mario characters in a pass with 6 characters. It would appeal to a wider audience to pick characters who have no overlap at all from series which wouldn't have been represented even if the are already present in base game and it just generally makes more sense with points im not even thinking of. We could get several but I wouldn't count on it.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I don't have to.
And I'm not familiar with the inner workings of Zelda characters in Smash.

So far, it seems the Mario series had no issue adding new characters with each new entry in Smash, but Zelda seems fixated on the Tri-Force gang.
Think it has to do with the Zelda team, more than Sakurai.
The only one that Sakurai pretty much has "no say in" is with Pokemon concidering each Pokemon he has added is Pokemons TPC wanted (at the time) push. so the argument about "he has an issue with the Zelda team" doesn´t really work. It´s probably more his fixation in using mostly main protagonists/villains (see Fire emblem as the prime example of that)

Also, I disagree with your argument about "bonus fighter is his only chance" and this is from someone that is indifferent in having him.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

I don't think Fire Emblem is a suitable comparison when it comes to several characters in the same pass. Lucina was obviously a clone which is automatically incomparable for the rest of the DLC as we aren't getting those and Roy was a semi clone veteran. Corrin was requested by Nintendo and it seems he probably wouldn't have been added if Nintendo didn't request it. Robin was chosen by Sakurai for whatever reason although I vaguely recall hearing moveset potential. That's not even taking into account the difference between base game and DLC.

This is nearly confirmed to be the last we are getting and 5 slots are left, and if franchise distribution isn't taken into account (which was apparently a major factor in deciding brawls roster according to design docs) that would mean we have 2 Mario characters in a pass with 6 characters. It would appeal to a wider audience to pick characters who have no overlap at all from series which wouldn't have been represented even if the are already present in base game and it just generally makes more sense with points im not even thinking of. We could get several but I wouldn't count on it.
Yeah I was only joking about that, but with the way Smash goes, the remaining 5 characters are going to be Fire Emblem followed by more Fire Emblem newcomers in Smash 6.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Yeah I was only joking about that, but with the way Smash goes, the remaining 5 characters are going to be Fire Emblem followed by more Fire Emblem newcomers in Smash 6.
Oh I didn't mean you, I just saw someone mention the 4 DR characters in Smash 4. I be what you are saying though. When we saw Min Min on her mask, that basically confirmed she is actually a fire emblem character in disguise with the fists being makeshift swords and the series logo being a reference to gauntlets.

7NATOR

Smash Master
On the Roy and Corrin situation. Another big thing is that neither of them came with any new stage, and Corrin only came with 2 music tracks. Add on to the fact that Roy is a Veteran and a Semi-Clone, and this scenraio wouldn't compare with an Hypothetical pass with Both Geno and Waluigi

Geno and Waluigi would be unique, brand new characters, and both of them would have to bring in New stages, music, spirits, etc. Essentially with both o fthem in the pass we get 2 NEW Mario Stages when there's already 19 in the game already, and there's already a bunch of Mario Music and a Stage. that's why it's hard to see 2 Slots deidcated to Mario when the series already has so much.

There are Other Popular characters that people want that come from Unique franchises, or Franchises that could use Extra content and such. Even among Popular Assist Trophies in Waluigi Case, Isaac, Bomberman, and Shovel Knight are unique franchises, and Skull Kid and Shadow come from Franchises that the fanbase has wanted another character for and such. That's why it's not impossible for Both Geno and Waluigi to be in the same pass, but i do think it's not the most realistic scenraio

TheBeastHimself

Oh I didn't mean you, I just saw someone mention the 4 DR characters in Smash 4. I be what you are saying though. When we saw Min Min on her mask, that basically confirmed she is actually a fire emblem character in disguise with the fists being makeshift swords and the series logo being a reference to gauntlets.
Exactly my friend, I'm glad someone else can read between the lines. We've been fooled all along into playing Fire Emblem Bros., even dating back to the N64 version.

Droodle

Smash Lord
That's not my logic though.
Waluigi and Geno are two of the most wanted characters for Smash, they also just happen to be part of Nintendo's flagship franchise.

I don't think there's any Pokemon or Zelda rep that is currently demanded as much as them.

Skull Kid and Sceptile used to be one of the biggest requests for Smash, but in current times support for them faded in comparison to Waluigi and Geno.
But you're suggesting that 2 Mario characters are realistic because Mario is THE Nintendo franchise, and Geno and Walugi happen to be both highly requested as well. MY logic is that yes, they are both highly requested and Mario IS big, but there's a dozen "requested" characters out there right now, all from series that happen to not be as well represented as Mario is currently.

Sure they may not be as highly requested as those two in particular, but they are definitely requested. We shouldn't be assuming that Nintendo finalized both Geno and Waluigi, when especially at this point in time there's a lot of competition between slots and it makes little sense to double dip in a series no matter how requested those characters may end up being (that second slot can potentially go to another requested 1st/3rd party character). Even then, which DLC pass literally put in all the most requested fighters in Smash?

Right now in terms of notable fan demand we have:
-Waluigi
-Geno
-Rex and Pyra
-Bandana Waddle Dee
-Isaac

all as characters that are pretty heavily requested still, without really diving into the 3rd party series (I know Geno is third party, but he's still Mario) or series that have a moderate amount of requests like Zelda, Pokemon, etc.

Do you think that these characters are all getting in, in this game just because they're highly requested? Probably not. And on top of that it makes little sense to put in 2 of the characters from the same franchise around the same time, when they could have put in a different highly requested character instead.

Sakurai has repeatedly said that these 5 characters are it, and then the Smash team will finally get a break ever since the Smash 4 cycle started; he probably means it and I doubt the chances of "bonus" characters happening, or at least happening right after FP 2 ends, without a big break in between.

So in the end, is a Mario character likely? I'd say yes, whether it's Geno, Waluigi, or Paper Mario. A Mario character has a pretty good shot of getting in.

Are two Mario characters likely? No, it doesn't make much sense especially because aside from fan-demand Geno and Waluigi aren't brimming with a lot of other notable qualities. And we all know fan-demand isn't the end all be all of who gets to be in Smash.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
On the Roy and Corrin situation. Another big thing is that neither of them came with any new stage, and Corrin only came with 2 music tracks. Add on to the fact that Roy is a Veteran and a Semi-Clone, and this scenraio wouldn't compare with an Hypothetical pass with Both Geno and Waluigi
It has been clear from the start that they have a different approach for DLC in Ultimate then Smash 4, so that argument doesn´t work..

Geno and Waluigi would be unique, brand new characters, and both of them would have to bring in New stages, music, spirits, etc. Essentially with both o fthem in the pass we get 2 NEW Mario Stages when there's already 19 in the game already, and there's already a bunch of Mario Music and a Stage. that's why it's hard to see 2 Slots deidcated to Mario when the series already has so much.

There are Other Popular characters that people want that come from Unique franchises, or Franchises that could use Extra content and such. Even among Popular Assist Trophies in Waluigi Case, Isaac, Bomberman, and Shovel Knight are unique franchises, and Skull Kid and Shadow come from Franchises that the fanbase has wanted another character for and such. That's why it's not impossible for Both Geno and Waluigi to be in the same pass, but i do think it's not the most realistic scenraio
No one here has said that Waluigi and Geno can't arrive together. Only that (like yourself apparently) doesn´t see the situation of them double-dipping for a franchise.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Exactly my friend, I'm glad someone else can read between the lines. We've been fooled all along into playing Fire Emblem Bros., even dating back to the N64 version.
Yeah, and Geno is actually a Fire Emblem character from a future fire emblem game which is also set in the future. Everything you thought you all knew was a lie.

The reason Roy and Corrin didn't bring new stages was because none of the characters from already represented series got stages tbh, that's just how the DLC was handled. It's just tough to see several characters take up two slots in a pack of 3. In all honesty first party series are the only ones with an actual shot when it comes to the DLC which is kind of tragic considering Sonic and other series could bring along but wont.

Griselda

Smash Lord
This isn't really going anywhere. I just want Geno and Waluigi, and in the case either of them get in, I'm still not going to think of the other as disconfirmed until the end of DLC.

7NATOR

Smash Master
It has been clear from the start that they have a different approach for DLC in Ultimate then Smash 4, so that argument doesn´t work..

No one here has said that Waluigi and Geno can't arrive together. Only that (like yourself apparently) doesn´t see the situation of them double-dipping for a franchise.
The reason Roy and Corrin didn't bring new stages was because none of the characters from already represented series got stages tbh, that's just how the DLC was handled. It's just tough to see several characters take up two slots in a pack of 3. In all honesty first party series are the only ones with an actual shot when it comes to the DLC which is kind of tragic considering Sonic and other series could bring along but wont.

Yeah i know the DLC Approach is different between games. I only bring up the Roy and Corrin thing because i've seen people mention that to say Geno and Waluigi being in the Same pass is no differernt, when there are differences between the 2 Situations

And yeah i don't seem them Double dipping for a Franchise at all either. Not to say it's impossible, but I (Also) don's see it at all. I wouldn't say First Party series are the only series with an actual shot, in terms of Represented franchises, but We'll have to see about that

TheBeastHimself

As much as I want Waluigi in Smash, I still find it arbitrary in some regards. Like Waluigi himself, his inclusion wouldn't make the most sense.

Waluigi's personality is "wah," he has no unique abilities (I'm going to be proven wrong on this one from an obscure Mario entry). He's only appeared in sports games, so people just kinda say "oh yeah he's the Mario Sports mascot" but Waluigi is not the only Mario character exclusively relegated to spin-offs.

There's just absolutely no substance to this character aside from the fact that he's weird and is Luigi's rival (which itself is hardly ever touched upon unlike Mario and Wario's rivalry).

As tragic as this sounds, Waluigi's sole purpose in life is to fill in space on a Mario spin-off roster, to see him go from that to a Smash character would be a huge leap. But I guess anything is possible.

If Waluigi does get in, I don't think it'll be from Sakurai's own accord, like he has some revolutionary change of heart. If anything, Nintendo would suggest it or he'll cave into the pressure from the harrassment he faced a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yeah i know the DLC Approach is different between games. I only bring up the Roy and Corrin thing because i've seen people mention that to say Geno and Waluigi being in the Same pass is no differernt, when there are differences between the 2 Situations

And yeah i don't seem them Double dipping for a Franchise at all either. Not to say it's impossible, but I (Also) don's see it at all. I wouldn't say First Party series are the only series with an actual shot, in terms of Represented franchises, but We'll have to see about that
It is a different situation because of their approach. But outside of that, I totally agree.

As much as I want Waluigi in Smash, I still find it arbitrary in some regards. Like Waluigi himself, his inclusion wouldn't make the most sense.

Waluigi's personality is "wah," he has no unique abilities (I'm going to be proven wrong on this one from an obscure Mario entry). He's only appeared in sports games, so people just kinda say "oh yeah he's the Mario Sports mascot" but Waluigi is not the only Mario character exclusively relegated to spin-offs.

There's just absolutely no substance to this character aside from the fact that he's weird and is Luigi's rival (which itself is hardly ever touched upon unlike Mario and Wario's rivalry).

As tragic as this sounds, Waluigi's sole purpose in life is to fill in space on a Mario spin-off roster, to see him go from that to a Smash character would be a huge leap. But I guess anything is possible.

If Waluigi does get in, I don't think it'll be from Sakurai's own accord, like he has some revolutionary change of heart. If anything, Nintendo would suggest it or he'll cave into the pressure from the harrassment he faced a couple years ago.
I don´t know... I think the Super Smash Flash Bros team did a good job and give him a moveset that fit him well and represented his spin-off origin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuFgpyFpAn4

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master

Considering Sakurai could refuse characters, If he did add in Waluigi it would be on his own accord, though in regards to the pressure from years ago, wouldn't that make him less likely to add him. I mean in any case it was only 2 people that really harassed him, so i don't know if he'll hold that much of a grudge

But i do agree with alot of this. I will say though that if Waluigi doesn't get in Pass 2, that doesn't mean he automatically loses. I think like what could be happening with Golden Sun if the rumors are true, they could go ahead and give Waluigi a bigger role in the future due to his popularity with the Fans and Smash and stuff.

Waluigi also can Air-Swim, which is pretty cool and has been the one consistent thing I've seen with fan Movesets

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Hey guys what’s going on in this th-

...oh, more Waluigi arguing and insiders apparently saying not to expect anything next week. I just want this goddamn wait to finally end. I’m really hoping that we at least get something else besides Pikmin before the month ends, however I’ve legitimately already resigned myself to the idea of nothing until sometime later next month.

TheBeastHimself

I don´t know... I think the Super Smash Flash Bros team did a good job and give him a moveset that fit him well and represented his spin-off origin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuFgpyFpAn4
Considering Sakurai could refuse characters, If he did add in Waluigi it would be on his own accord, though in regards to the pressure from years ago, wouldn't that make him less likely to add him. I mean in any case it was only 2 people that really harassed him, so i don't know if he'll hold that much of a grudge

But i do agree with alot of this. I will say though that if Waluigi doesn't get in Pass 2, that doesn't mean he automatically loses. I think like what could be happening with Golden Sun if the rumors are true, they could go ahead and give Waluigi a bigger role in the future due to his popularity with the Fans and Smash and stuff.

Waluigi also can Air-Swim, which is pretty cool and has been the one consistent thing I've seen with fan Movesets
I get where you guys are coming from, I really want Waluigi in. It'd just be weird. I dunno, maybe I'm being too negative about this. Waluigi just hasn't done anything significant at all in his entire 20 years of existence, except maybe being the Dance Dance Mario "antagonist." I just wish Nintendo would do something he's literally a blank slate.

Like, the only reason he'd be in would be because "LOL XD WALUIGI FUNNY SO RANDOM XD." I know there's legitimately people that want him in, but he's only popular because he's a meme. Before he obtained meme status, Waluigi was actually infamous.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I get where you guys are coming from, I really want Waluigi in. It'd just be weird. I dunno, maybe I'm being too negative about this. Waluigi just hasn't done anything significant at all in his entire 20 years of existence, except maybe being the Dance Dance Mario "antagonist." I just wish Nintendo would do something he's literally a blank slate.

Like, the only reason he'd be in would be because "LOL XD WALUIGI FUNNY SO RANDOM XD." I know there's legitimately people that want him in, but he's only popular because he's a meme. Before he obtained meme status, Waluigi was actually infamous.
Well Since Waluigi was Infamous like a Criminal for a large period of his Existence, and He's most major Role was in a Dance Dance Revolution spinoff, they could go ahead and base his moveset of Micheal Jackson, so this Video right here could be a Prophecy

It's not like Moon-Walking is trademarked. Deadpool even did it in MVC3/UMVC3

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think if Waluigi got in, the whole point would probably be to make the wildest, trolliest, weirdest random moveset. I think it’s possible that both hit the fighters pass, but if they do standalone DLC, I could see that too.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

While you are absolutely right about his status and reason for being famous... Does this mean he is impossible? Not really. Maybe giving him a less of a shot then most believe he has but that's about it.

Oh well. Like Griselda said. This is going nowhere

TheBeastHimself

Gotta be honest, I'm getting really sick of this being the Waluigi and Geno thread. I know we tend to get off topic and that's fine to some degree, but seriously, ya'll talk about Waluigi WAY too much in here. He has his own thread.
I'm sorry. I saw an opportunity to jump into a conversation, and I took it. I've really got nothing to say about Geno at the moment, so I guess I'll be seeing myself out for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom