• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Smol BF came out of nowhere, but its a welcome addition. Can't say I was expecting any content outside of the pass, but I suppose there is precedent given the Miiverse stage and Smash 64 stages we got as additional DLC in Smash 4.

If we end up getting a few more DLC stages, I do expect them to be old ones though. If it's 3 like many are predicting my hopes are for Meta Crystal, Pac Maze and Rainbow Road (sorry Pokefloats.)

Another thing to note is that the random BF and Omega slots don't appear in Training Mode. While they might have just overlooked it, it's also possible the options are absent due to the Training stage ruining the perfect, full SSS if they are indeed filling it out. So maybe we'll only get two, maybe three more.

Or maybe they'll throw us for a loop again and make some other changes to the SSS to accommodate whatever else they decide to add. idk

My last stage related hope now that we have Small BF though, is maybe some bonus forms of other stages. Given that Big and Small BF are edits of an existing stage, maybe they could edit some others as a more cost effective way of adding a few bonuses.

Let's say for example, they took the Great Fox from Corneria, made it bigger and changed the background to Lylat Cruise or something. That could easily work as a stand in for Sector Z from Smash 64.

Admittedly I'm going through the Stage List and drawing blanks on how else they could use that approach, but it'd be neat to see if they could come up with anything.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Something random I thought I'd share, I figured out why I support Geno so much. Super Mario RPG isn't my favorite Mario RPG, and I don't really have a big attachment to Geno like most others in this thread. I think I support him more because Mario RPG games have been my favorite sub-series of the Mario franchise. I grew up with the Mario & Luigi games being some of my favorite games of all time, Super Mario RPG was awesome, and I'm only now getting to the Paper Mario games and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
I can understand you thought, but I'd just repeat two points that have been repeatedly brought up:

1) Nintendo don't really try to highlight Mario RPGs when it comes to their presentation. After all, the protagonist of the Mario RPGs is still Mario, in their mind Mario has repped all the Mario titles.

2) Whether Geno represents all Mario RPGs still depends on subjecitve views. As you say there are various Mario RPG titles where Geno are absent and other characters shine. Some may say Paper Mario and some may say Fawful, not all Mario RPG lovers dedicate to the exact same character.

In the case of Geno support, it's more about fans' love for the specific character than his qualification for repping specific Mario titles.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Let's say for example, they took the Great Fox from Corneria, made it bigger and changed the background to Lylat Cruise or something. That could easily work as a stand in for Sector Z from Smash 64.
Imagine if they allowed us to change the background of the Battlefield stages and Final Destination to the 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 backgrounds that would be amazing.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Imagine if they allowed us to change the background of the Battlefield stages and Final Destination to the 64, Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 backgrounds that would be amazing.
I'd love if they went all out and over the previous versions as well. Make it another toggle option, but just for BF and FD I suppose.

It would truly live up to the name Ultimate, to give us the option of having each era of Smash repped through the series two original and most iconic stages.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
This is a stupid idea but I'd want a stage that starts on Battlefield and slowly morphs into every other stage in the game.

D

Deleted member

Man this is such a cool little update that came out of nowhere. I was just getting ready to play smash when someone mentioned the new update to me and I thought, "huh, probably just some buffing/nerfing of different characters."

But it's a new stage! I really like that they added it, it felt pretty good to play on.

And, now that we see they have added notable content outside FP2, it makes more bonus stuff possible (and the 3 extra spaces are interesting, wonder if we're getting more stages).

And I don't think I've ever been happier to see Ron Paul post lol. Hoping that means a direct is coming soon (with a reveal of our boy).

Today was a pretty cool day.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Everybody here wanting Orbital Gate or Rainbow Road, meanwhile I just want Mute City from Melee back.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Maybe it’s all in my head, but random Quickplay / Elite Smash matches felt better tonight too. I had never had game breaking lag or bad times, but of the 20/30 matches I played tonight, all of them were pretty good. Wonder if they actually did make netcode improvements.

Hopefully FP7 gets revealed soon!

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
If we are getting two Mario characters, then I call we get two Zelda characters.... (aka, I can´t see Nintendo Dubble dip on a franchise, even when it comes to Mario)
Nintendo already double dipped with Piranha Plant after Daisy, with Geno it's a triple, Waluigi is a quadruple.

And FE got both of Roy and Corrin as DLC in Smash 4.

I don't think there's an issue with having multiple wanted characters in the last wave of DLC for what could be our last Smash game.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I hope Ultimate continues to do more of these random updates with new content in the future. It's cool to have more stuff to play with outside of characters. Especially when it's something no one was calling

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Half awake but I took another look at Ron Paul's post and he specifically said "Nintendo published games." That's a great sign because it means the next Direct will be a decent mix of first and third party and, obviously, there's a good number of games that fall under this umbrella like No More Heroes and Bayonetta.

Another precoffee thought: small battlefield was probably supposed to be an E3 gimme either shortly before or after the Smash reveals. This said, we probably are T-minus no more than 6 days before the next Smash reveal.

Last edited:

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
A community without basic human sympathy is dead. If people cannot control their emotions over such simple things, they shouldn't be allowed to be on their own. Regardless of age.
You have no right to come in here and act like you're better than we. None.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Half awake but I took another look at Ron Paul's post and he specifically said "Nintendo published games." That's a great sign because it means the next Direct will be a decent mix of first and third party and, obviously, there's a good number of games that fall under this umbrella like No More Heroes and Bayonetta.

Another precoffee thought: small battlefield was probably supposed to be an E3 gimme either shortly before or after the Smash reveals. This said, we probably are T-minus no more than 6 days before the next Smash reveal.
That sounds about right, today is the earliest we could see a Direct, but if it happens this week, I'd expect it tomorrow. If not, then we've got something to look forward to next week

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Small Battlefield not only shows bonus content is now a thing but may give us an idea of how it may be handled in the future. Remember how I said that the evidence for bonus content and characters has been around for awhile now but it was hard to determine how it wouldn't be distributed? Now we kind of have some answers:

-With the addition of Small Battlefield, there are 8 stage spaces left: 5 for the remaining Season 2 packs and 3 bonus. My theorycraft was that, thanks to the dummyslots, there could be up to 4 bonus characters. This development implies that, if this happens, at least one won't get a stage. This also finally gives us an answer that I've been wrestling with since January...

-Bonus characters probably won't get their own packs, just like Plant. They will likely be free updates (doubtful) or a la carte. This also significantly frees up what these final 3 bonus stages could be because they don't have to be tied to particular characters. This may actually heavily support my Waluigi, Dixie, Medusa, and Lolo theory because we've regularly seen characters not get stages directly related to them. This development also further supports that any bonus characters will all but be guaranteed to be first party because of this and that most, if not all, the remaining Season 2 packs will probably be third party.

Now for a post coffee thought:

-People seem to be teasing two Directs and what may have actually happened is that the E3 Direct was split in half: fall 2020 releases and holiday 2020 into 2021. Because Nintendo tries to give at least a month and a half to two month minimum notice on games, the "fall Direct" with September and October releases will likely be next and the "holiday/2021" Direct will be late August or early September.

-If this is true, it's my prediction that both presentations will have Smash reveals: one for 7 coming in September and one for 8 likely coming in November.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Don’t know if this has been mentioned or talked about but apparently when the smash website was not working properly the mario section was glitching out. I saw someone reply to papagenos saying that multiple people saw the mario section glitching out. Take it with a Grain of SALT but if it’s true then this means the next fighter indeed is from mario.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Small Battlefield not only shows bonus content is now a thing but may give us an idea of how it may be handled in the future. Remember how I said that the evidence for bonus content and characters has been around for awhile now but it was hard to determine how it wouldn't be distributed? Now we kind of have some answers:

-With the addition of Small Battlefield, there are 8 stage spaces left: 5 for the remaining Season 2 packs and 3 bonus. My theorycraft was that, thanks to the dummyslots, there could be up to 4 bonus characters. This development implies that, if this happens, at least one won't get a stage. This also finally gives us an answer that I've been wrestling with since January...

-Bonus characters probably won't get their own packs, just like Plant. They will likely be free updates (doubtful) or a la carte. This also significantly frees up what these final 3 bonus stages could be because they don't have to be tied to particular characters. This may actually heavily support my Waluigi, Dixie, Medusa, and Lolo theory because we've regularly seen characters not get stages directly related to them. This development also further supports that any bonus characters will all but be guaranteed to be first party because of this and that most, if not all, the remaining Season 2 packs will probably be third party.

Now for a post coffee thought:

-People seem to be teasing two Directs and what may have actually happened is that the E3 Direct was split in half: fall 2020 releases and holiday 2020 into 2021. Because Nintendo tries to give at least a month and a half to two month minimum notice on games, the "fall Direct" with September and October releases will likely be next and the "holiday/2021" Direct will be late August or early September.

-If this is true, it's my prediction that both presentations will have Smash reveals: one for 7 coming in September and one for 8 likely coming in November.
Maybe they’ll bring back old stages alongside the bonus characters? Waluigi with Rainbow Road and Dixie with either Rumble Falls or Jungle Hijinx.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe they’ll bring back old stages alongside the bonus characters? Waluigi with Rainbow Road and Dixie with either Rumble Falls or Jungle Hijinx.
That or upcoming games that don't have a character but could get a stage to promote it. I now kind of have a theory that they're going to do this with one of the three dead franchise revivals I've been teasing because it would bring a TON of kickass music if they did it and now I reeeeeeeally hope it happens.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I just want pac maze (which I think is staying gone due to docked switches not being able to work properly with the stage's gimmick) and SOME kind of Gyromite/ROB stage. It just feels wrong having him mooch off of Mario Bros since Brawl.

Griselda

Smash Lord
I just pictured a crazy impossible version of Geno's reveal trailer being him fighting against a ton of other characters for the invitation, but it's not mean-spirited and the defeated fighters all team up with him afterwards for the next rounds and give general assistance (Shadow gives him a ride on his motorcycle, etc.) Geno eventually gets to the final battleground and sees the invitation sitting there, when suddenly the Ultimate Never-Ever steps in front of it: It's Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku. Goku no-sells a 9999 Geno Whirl, and it looks like it's game over... But then everyone Geno's met along the way shows up and they all work together to take Goku down.

Geno grabs the invitation and gets ready to leave, but he frowns as he looks back at everyone - he knows that they can't come with him, and by defeating them he's stolen their chances. Suddenly, Goku laughs, standing back up.
"Don't worry, buddy. I just came to fight a strong opponent, but I had a feeling I'd be needing these..." Goku reveals every set of Dragon Balls, with enough wishes for everyone else to get in. Finally, there's only one wish left, but all of the most requested fighters have already gotten in. Goku frowns, humming to himself. "Maybe I should join in, after all..." Goku prepares to make a wish, and we see a pair of pointy shoes rushing across the ground, heading towards Goku.

"Alright, Shenron. I'm ready to make the last wish. I wish that the final Smash fighter will be-"

"WAAAALUUUIIIGII!"

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
With the online mode having an extra icon and there technically only being two more slots, I find it interesting how that would still like up with Fatman’s initial theory crafting that we’d be getting Waluigi and an Iwata Tribute as bonuses. Obviously as mentioned the bonuses don’t need to be tied to the stages, especially now that we have surprise Smol Battlefield, but I do find that curious.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I personally haven’t had *too* much trouble in the past, partially probably because I have an Ethernet connection, quite high bandwidth, and priority set on my router for gaming devices, but I will say during my 2 hour session last night I only had one or two matches that had any noticeable connection issues. The rest were all around the connection quality of my better matches in the past.

So I’d definitely say a noticeable improvement, though Nintendo is a little vague on what exactly improved, so ymmv.

J. Bond

Smash Journeyman
Hm, Pikmin 3 DX just got announced. Partner Showcase being next seems a bit more likely now.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Pikmin 3 Deluxe shadowdrop announcement, whaaaaat. I know it's more like an "About Time!" kind of announcement, but, shadowdropping said announcement, once again, is a thing. Wowie.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
So yet another game is shadow announced on Twitter... something that could be direct worthy....

Firox

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, I actually really like small Battlefield, but this whole situation does feel kind of comical....

Smash Fans: "Give us a reveal! Give us a reveal!"

Sakurai: "Your prayers have been heard, my children. BEHOLD!"

(Out plops Small Battlefield)

Since when did the Smash Bros franchise turn into a giant gacha game?

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Hey there, I just wanted to say that (as a European) I've never played Super Mario RPG before, however I often visited this thread and I think it's really cool how dedicated Geno's fanbase is. Especially in the last few days, due to the rumours, I got so interested that I decided to buy the game on the Virtual Console and I just started playing the game today and I absolutely love it <3

View attachment 279327

The game hooked me so much that I played several hours in a row and I just got the 4th star and finally decided to take a break right now. I'm so glad I gave this game a chance and would really love to see him getting revealed tomorrow, fingers are crossed
Heya small update: After an intense final boss fight, I just beat the game for the first time and wow, it was a great journey!! Being a huge Paper Mario fan (and after having played every entry so far, except Origami King), it was really great to visit the ancestor of the series! I am really surprised how much I enjoyed Super Mario RPG, especially the fluid movement, the character animations, the funny character interactions and the unique action/puzzle-sections.

Some of the puzzles were really hard (for instance the one were you had to guess a certain word with 6 letters or the quiz in one of the last sections of the game, boyyyy....) - I really like how challenging this was! Geno is such a great character and even though I wished there was a bit more story/dialoge/cutscenes with him, I really want to see him in Smash! I really like Mallow too, his story is really well written, however I didn't fight with him too often, since another... certain character with similar spells... was so much better in the second half of the game.

Finally, the music is soooooo good, much more quality than I expected, I'm really impressed. There are many tracks that I want to see in Smash as remixes, not only the field and battle themes, but also the town themes.... the music from Monstro Town always gets stuck in my head. In the past I always avoided Geno moveset speculation videos because I didn't want to see potential surprises. Since I've completed the game and don't have to be afraid of spoilers anymore, I will watch as many Geno videos on YouTube as possible, I am looking forward to that!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I've never played Pikmin 3, always wanted to. Maybe now is the time to get it! Fingers crossed for more announcements. I'm honestly not picky whether they come announced via social media or Directs, news is news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom