• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
11/10, I might be one of the only ones who knows exactly what that's from :) (and yes, it definitely fits perfectly)

Well you should be 100% you nerd! ;)
Yup! God bless old JonTron!

View attachment 280371
To be honest, I have nothing to lose in keeping my mindset regarding Geno optimistic, rather than purely neutral. It certainly won't kill me if I'm wrong. At this point I have thoroughly shifted my opinion from 'he might be in' to 'he is probably in', and I don't feel bad about it.

Y---Your energy...........I HAVE SEEN IT BEFORE!

**NAM FLASHBACKS INTENSIFY**

Many months ago...before the coming of the Kremling King,,,I... -- GHH!

G--GRIS!....COME CLOSER, MY CHILD...

You are a good person...Continue being as you are...Please, Don't let fear consume you as it has me...I am tired and weary...but you...You can go on....you HAVE to! You must--GHKK!--keep the wishes alive....as you do my hope, with your spirit!

Please...keep doing what you do...Do it...For Geno...~

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I think everyone is just burned out for one reason or another at this point. Insiders are burned out on being badgered and juked, Nintendo fans are burned out on being burned, everyone's just kind of being ****ty in general because everything in general is ****ty right now, etc.
Really Fatman? Name at least 700 times I've been ****ty lately. Wait...don't answer that.

It's just so bizarre to me that this year is like this. I mean last year was so exciting for me as a Switch owner and Smash fan. Even with a FP1 that didn't really appeal to me, I was hyped and enjoyed speculation until towards the end when momentum shifted and reveals came much later rather than sooner starting with Byleth and that secrecy only to be let down by the reveal was what I think jarred everyone into this general state of annoyance. Im not trying to bash on Byleth more I know there's been plenty of that and for what it's worth I do find the character fun, but it's just the suspense leading up to the moment only to be surprised in a way that just made a lot of people angry killed a lot of the momentum that Smash had gained.

I mean you think about this game (the ultimate Smash game), this huge incredible roster, everyone is here, stages galore, stage builder, all these game modes, thousands of spirits making nods to all kinds of games big and small, and 2 waves of DLC. The recipe here is so incredibly hype and incredible that it is truly baffling that Nintendo somehow found a way to bungle it all up and make the experience of this second FP somehow feel miserable and tortuous. I never would have been able to fathom a scenario like this and if someone had told me that this is how things would look a year ago there's no way I would have believed them.

And I'm a patient person. I don't have that much time for games anyway and I have plenty other games to play and catch up on and I have MP4 to look forward to...one day. It's not that hard to appease me to be honest. Like I was perfectly content with Sword/Shield even tho I would have loved to see more from the games. I enjoyed FP1 even though none of the characters were characters I wanted in the game. For all intents and purposes, I shouldn't be affected by this current negativity at all yet here I am feeling the same things you all are feeling.

With nothing in stone to really look forward to or be hopeful for it's just kind of ruined the good momentum Nintendo had going. And I can totally understand if the momentum slowed down especially with the state of the world now, but it didn't slow down it just screeched to a halt and the glimmers of hope in Paper Mario and Smash DLC have been marred by controversy and timing issues. And really things have never looked better for Geno. It's one of those situations where I really just have to sit back and laugh because it's like ofc Geno would be one of the most likely characters during a time when the world and Nintendo gaming is in a state of complete and total disarray. If Geno is next and everything is still like this, obviously that'll turn things around for us but I'll definitely look back and be like of course...of course Geno of all controversial characters would get released during one of the most miserable and controversial times for Smash fans cuz even if we win we lose (I'll take that W any day tho).

But...oh well. I believe Geno's coming and that's more than enough to get me by and stay interested enough to keep an eye out for Nintendo news.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
What if Geno was somehow incorporated into a Galaxy remake?
That would be amazing, and he would fit perfectly in. Maybe as a playable character for player 2?

Actually, I was thinkin'...What if the Square fighter is actually the new DQ character? It's scheduled to be revealed soon right? What if Square wanted some free publicity early on?

GOD I FEEL DIRTY SAYING THAT! SOMEONE TELL ME IT WON'T BE TRUE! X.X
The only SQ franchise that has a slim chance against Geno is Final Fantasy and The Worlds End With You.
Yes we have Cloud, be FF has still some more iconic characters that could be different from Cloud.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wanted to share this video because a common question I get asked is why I have confidence in not only the dead franchise revivals I've been horking since last fall but also the Microsoft/Nintendo stuff:

Arlo does a great job explaining the current situation. Before I go on my end, just wanted to recap the "dead" stuff and current rumors that would be dismissed as **** posting any other year:

Stuff on my end:

-Three dead Nintendo franchises, one going back to last August and two last October. (Not spoiling if other people have outwardly supported them.)

-At least three upcoming Nintendo/indie collabs involving long dormant NES IPs.

-Revival of a dead Namco franchise.

-Potentially a Ninja Gaiden reboot (Hotgirl seemed to coincidentally back this recently).

Stuff outwardly supported by other people:

-Wario Land/Ware

-Mario Sports (particularly Mario Strikers)

-RARE Replay and MCC on Switch.

-Something Banjo Kazooie related on Switch.

-2D Metroid

-Mainline Persona on Switch

-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life

-Donkey Kong

-F-Zero

If you watch Arlo's video here, this honestly makes sense. The Switch is basically a "Give a ****" machine. Port something to Switch and suddenly people give much more of a **** about it. The last great Give a **** home console was the PS2 and we all know its legacy. Dragon Quest might finally have a foothold in the West thanks to the Switch and Smash, for example. Switch played a huge role in Crash's booming revival. Xenoblade very rapidly bounced up from being super niche to a B tier franchise. There's a lot of examples and the timing of reviving on and porting certain things to the Switch is genuinely golden.

Kind of like we've been bemoaning in this thread for months now, Mario RPGs are kind of on death's door at the moment but Nintendo has a rare opportunity to revive the brand in a crazy good way. This is why I'm optimistic about the future and why the bits of information that have grabbed my ear since last fall will likely ring true in my opinion. The Switch is a powerful machine and is making people give a **** about IPs that the general public hasn't given a **** about in ages and that's a gold mine waiting to be explored. This said, hang tight comrades. The future is bright and, yet again, I think this next Direct is going to be a literal game changer in a lot of exciting ways.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Wanted to share this video because a common question I get asked is why I have confidence in not only the dead franchise revivals I've been horking since last fall but also the Microsoft/Nintendo stuff:

Arlo does a great job explaining the current situation. Before I go on my end, just wanted to recap the "dead" stuff and current rumors that would be dismissed as **** posting any other year:

Stuff on my end:

-Three dead Nintendo franchises, one going back to last August and two last October. (Not spoiling if other people have outwardly supported them.)

-Potentially a Ninja Gaiden reboot (Hotgirl seemed to coincidentally back this recently).

-Wario Land/Ware

-2D Metroid

-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life

-Donkey Kong

-F-Zero

If you watch Arlo's video here, this honestly makes sense. The Switch is basically a "Give a ****" machine. Port something to Switch and suddenly people give much more of a **** about it. The last great Give a **** home console was the PS2 and we all know its legacy. Dragon Quest might finally have a foothold in the West thanks to the Switch and Smash, for example. Switch played a huge role in Crash's booming revival. Xenoblade very rapidly bounced up from being super niche to a B tier franchise. There's a lot of examples and the timing of reviving on and porting certain things to the Switch is genuinely golden.

Kind of like we've been bemoaning in this thread for months now, Mario RPGs are kind of on death's door at the moment but Nintendo has a rare opportunity to revive the brand in a crazy good way. This is why I'm optimistic about the future and why the bits of information that have grabbed my ear since last fall will likely ring true in my opinion. The Switch is a powerful machine and is making people give a **** about IPs that the general public hasn't given a **** about in ages and that's a gold mine waiting to be explored. This said, hang tight comrades. The future is bright and, yet again, I think this next Direct is going to be a literal game changer in a lot of exciting ways.
Indie NES revivals? Now that’s got me curious. Mach Rider? Ice Climber? Lots of interesting possibilities there.

*makes a mental note that the three dead franchise revivals are not F-Zero, Metroid, or Wario Land. Tries not to see what color the sun is this morning*

It feels like we’re on the cusp of something huge but also like we’ve been on that cusp since like December so if Nintendo really does have the Ass Blasting of the Millennium in their storehouse right now, I think we could all use it.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Too bad Arlo doesn't care about anything that came before the GameCube and thus probably wouldn't care about an SMRPG remake.

What?! I love him but It's true, damn it! :(

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Too bad Arlo doesn't care about anything that came before the GameCube and thus probably wouldn't care about an SMRPG remake.

What?! I love him but It's true, damn it! :(
.., I recognize that it isn’t my job to speak for a youtuber but that isn’t true? He even said he wants Geno in Smash

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
.., I recognize that it isn’t my job to speak for a youtuber but that isn’t true? He even said he wants Geno in Smash
I don't see why that would be, considering he was luke warm on Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo being in. He may think his inclusion would be cool but I highly doubt he'd get super hype over it.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
From everything listed by fatman above, can we just take a second to talk about Nintendo’s possible behaviour going forward?

If indeed Geno is coming to Smash, and there are about to be many new entries in dead/dormant franchises, along with many callbacks and possible rereleases of SNES/N64 era games - what is Nintendo’s strategy going forward? It seems like a lot of this upcoming information is designed to capitalize on nostalgia (duh), but is Nintendo trying to draw back in the late Gen Xers and early Millenial crowd??

And to broaden things even further - how does that fit in with Sony and Microsoft going forward? It’s almost like Nintendo is trying to grab older audiences now (if indeed a lot of these rumours from fatman come to fruition).

Anyone want to weigh in on that? I know we joke about Nintendo being a mystery, but maybe we understand them a little bit better than what we give them credit for.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I don't see why that would be, considering he was luke warm on Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo being in. He may think his inclusion would be cool but I highly doubt he'd get super hype over it.
Dafuq? What channel are you watching? I mean yeah he didn’t scream his head off but that’s just cause he’s a relatively chill guy. Not everyone shows their excitement by screaming all the time.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With E3 being cancelled this year, Nintendo has had at least 2 additional months to prepare something big for their customer base, and it makes no sense to keep dragging their feet when all that will do is lower sales of the Switch and its software library. We're rapidly approaching the 2/3 mark of the year, and they have to reignite confidence with both their investors and their customers. The lack of transparency compared to both Microsoft and Sony is doing significantly more harm than good

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Dafuq? What channel are you watching? I mean yeah he didn’t scream his head off but that’s just cause he’s a relatively chill guy. Not everyone shows their excitement by screaming all the time.

I've seen what gets Arlo hype. Those weren't it, chief.

It's not a big deal. He didn't grow up with the things we did. It's only natural he'd have less investment.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Stuff on my end:

In regards to the dead Nintendo franchises, I can't help but think that Mother has to be one of them not simply because of how long fans have been asking for an official Western release of Mother 3, but also that Mother project that's been talked about (even by Mr. Sakurai himself) which so far they've shown off an illustrated book I believe of the franchise. Now, knowing that perhaps indie studios will be working on said titles, a heads up that we got another Summer Games Fest showcase today in a little less than an hour featuring an indie studio (most likely will not be related but, good to keep an eye out just in case).

The revival of the dead Namco franchise, a few months back it was reported that Namco had registered three trademarks for what seemed to be remasters of some classic franchises. Most recently we got the announcement (and release?) of Mr. Driller, and among the other trademarks there was also Klonoa. Imo, Klonoa's the BIG franchise revival.
https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/17/2...a-splatterhouse-bandai-namco-trademarks-japan

On the mainline persona game coming to Switch, yesterday when Koei Tecmo officially announced Persona 5 Scramble's western release, in the article I also read that Persona 5 (the mainline game) may actually come to Switch. In the article at the end they mention that ATLUS revealed that they don't want fans to lose hope for a Persona 5 port for the Switch.
https://www.ign.com/articles/persona-5-scramble-officially-confirmed-for-western-release

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
From everything listed by fatman above, can we just take a second to talk about Nintendo’s possible behaviour going forward?

If indeed Geno is coming to Smash, and there are about to be many new entries in dead/dormant franchises, along with many callbacks and possible rereleases of SNES/N64 era games - what is Nintendo’s strategy going forward? It seems like a lot of this upcoming information is designed to capitalize on nostalgia (duh), but is Nintendo trying to draw back in the late Gen Xers and early Millenial crowd??

And to broaden things even further - how does that fit in with Sony and Microsoft going forward? It’s almost like Nintendo is trying to grab older audiences now (if indeed a lot of these rumours from fatman come to fruition).

Anyone want to weigh in on that? I know we joke about Nintendo being a mystery, but maybe we understand them a little bit better than what we give them credit for.
I get what Nintendo's trying to do and it's ballsy as all hell. Basically it's four fold:

-Revive a bunch of franchises on the Switch so that they have more reliable franchises in the future and don't have to so heavily rely on things like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon during droughts.

-Quid pro quo a ****ton of third party franchises, again, for insurance for the future.

-Trust Indies with their IPs and hope they don't **** them up.

-Basically put all their eggs in one basket and pray that it blows the fanbase away so hard that they forgive Nintendo for the last 14 months.

I get it but it's not necessarily a good idea. The risk is obviously enormous and the pay out could literally impact Nintendo for decades to come but at the same time Nintendo's PR is currently on life support and the fanbase is one more mediocre announcement from going full on feral with frustration.

Last edited:

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

I've seen what gets Arlo hype. Those weren't it, chief.

It's not a big deal. He didn't grow up with the things we did. It's only natural he'd have less investment.
*Stares in actual genuine confusion*

Alright, whatever you say man. I really actually have no idea what you’re talking about but I don’t think continuing this will go anywhere so I’ll stop.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
O.o Have Sega/Atlus finally learned that Persona would sell if it would release on other consoles

Arlo is easily one of the most down to earth Nintendo tuber out there, that is extremely shilled. He might have his preference, but he always comes off as professional no matter what he talks about

Last edited:

vivala

Smash Journeyman
So I know Tiffany Treadmore is a source we view as dubious at best, but it's interesting to see her firmly planting her flag in the ground here.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Some days ago I saw this idea for a Geno victory theme, which is a Forest Maze remix. What do you think? https://youtu.be/0ZeVeKQez5Y even that is obvious that if Geno became playable his victory theme will be the Victory theme of SMRPG
Honest review- it's a little limited in dimension. It does a call out in the first 6 notes, and then an answer, and then another answer but each section is chopped off and separate in feel from each other so it's like 1 dimensional platform hopping for the ears.

It's okay, and I love the forest maze track, this mix just didn't WOW me. Whoever made it, keep at it!

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
So I know Tiffany Treadmore is a source we view as dubious at best, but it's interesting to see her firmly planting her flag in the ground here.

That is firm footing considering how much we knew about the last direct.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Some days ago I saw this idea for a Geno victory theme, which is a Forest Maze remix. What do you think? https://youtu.be/0ZeVeKQez5Y even that is obvious that if Geno became playable his victory theme will be the Victory theme of SMRPG
I can see his victory being the portion of the Star Piece Get theme from where Mario grabs the star to when it floats off screen. That's about 7 seconds, a perfect cut of time for the victory theme where they wouldn't have to butcher it by speeding up or cutting pieces from it to fit it in.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
-Revive a bunch of franchises on the Switch so that they have more reliable franchises in the future and don't have to so heavily rely on things like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon during droughts.
... if this is true, then while I'm happy they're going back to their forgotten franchises and bringing some of them back, I'm also baffled that it took them this long to figure it out.

Yeah, smaller series like F-Zero, Metroid, Punch-Out!!, Wario Land, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, and the Excite games aren't gonna sell gangbusters like Mario and Zelda will, but they've still got decently-sized dedicated fanbases that will buy the games if they're actually made. Plus, with the Switch basically being the "give a ****" machine as you put it, giving those series new games on the Switch is bound to bring in tons of new fans and give the series some decent growth.

So maybe, maybe, just maybe... it would help to keep those series around, especially during times like these when Nintendo has sweet ****-all on the schedule for the rest of the year?

This might just be my desperation for Bayonetta 3 news speaking here, but... please let this be true!

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
O.o Have Sega/Atlus finally learned that Persona would sell if it would release on other consoles

Arlo is easily one of the most down to earth Nintendo tuber out there, that is extremely shilled. He might have his preference, but he always comes off as professional no matter what he talks about
It's sad how we expect videos about video games to be "Professional" as if we should put stock in them. I'd almost rather someone have feeling than read from a script. One way is real, the other way is conditioning. At least Arlo can manage both. Sadly, by now he's becoming more assimilated into the Youtube machine. You hate to see it (If you know what you're seeing.)

MattX20

Smash Hero
I still doubt we would have to wait until September to get some substantial news. There's so much going on as of right now that is leaning to August that it's hard to look away from

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I don't want a mini for Bayonetta and NMH only! Stop waterboarding us, Nintendo! Give us a full damn direct or shut up, but don't **** around about it!

D

Deleted member

Stuff on my end:

-Wario Land/Ware

-2D Metroid

-Miitopia/Tomodachi Life

-Donkey Kong

-F-Zero

If this actually happens this is going to be the best direct ever.

If the rumors of an August direct are false and we have to wait until September, and the direct happens with all this, and a Geno reveal, it would be WAY more than worth the wait.

Especially if the dead franchises are the ones I have in mind...

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Oh good god what if Zell wasn't trolling after all

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't want a mini for Bayonetta and NMH only! Stop waterboarding us, Nintendo! Give us a full damn direct or shut up, but don't **** around about it!
I'd be fine with a mini-Direct for those two games - if No More Heroes 3 is actually coming out this year, it would be nice to have a release date for it, and it would be great to have any news on Bayonetta 3, or any sign that they're actually working on the game beyond the developers saying "we're still working on it" every year or so. (it's been roughly three years since the teaser trailer, and there's been no footage since then)

Heck, if they threw a Doom Eternal release date for the Switch version in there, or a proper announcement that Persona 5 Scramble is being released outside of Japan, it would be everything that I hoped for from the previous mini-Direct.

Obviously, I'd prefer a general Direct, and I think that we all would (we know basically nothing concrete about what's coming up for the Switch as far as Nintendo games go, and a Smash reveal would be great since most people narrowed the potential ARMS character down to about four or five feasible options back in March - it would be even better if the seventh fighter was Geno like we all hope), but Nintendo seems hesitant to show anything until it's basically ready to be released, and with the coronavirus, release schedules are questionable and subject to change.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

download (9).jpeg

If Nintendo actually decided to share the vaporware during the Minis and only do completely new stuff during the fabled Direct, that's a weirdly smart move on their part. Downside, we just tacked on another week. I'm going to check my inbox later but I'm pretty sure I got the one dead franchise revival info almost exactly a year ago now. Un-****in'-believable.

MattX20

Smash Hero
View attachment 280380

If Nintendo actually decided to share the vaporware during the Minis and only do completely new stuff during the fabled Direct, that's a weirdly smart move on their part. Downside, we just tacked on another week. I'm going to check my inbox later but I'm pretty sure I got the one dead franchise revival info almost exactly a year ago now. Un-****in'-believable.
That, and there's nothing to suggest thus far that we couldn't potentially see the main direct in August. Since Nintendo has gone out of their way to differentiate the partner showcases from standard direct minis and general directs, it's possible

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
I'd be fine with a mini-Direct for those two games - if No More Heroes 3 is actually coming out this year, it would be nice to have a release date for it, and it would be great to have any news on Bayonetta 3, or any sign that they're actually working on the game beyond the developers saying "we're still working on it" every year or so. (it's been roughly three years since the teaser trailer, and there's been no footage since then)

Heck, if they threw a Doom Eternal release date for the Switch version in there, or a proper announcement that Persona 5 Scramble is being released outside of Japan, it would be everything that I hoped for from the previous mini-Direct.

Obviously, I'd prefer a general Direct, and I think that we all would (we know basically nothing concrete about what's coming up for the Switch as far as Nintendo games go, and a Smash reveal would be great since most people narrowed the potential ARMS character down to about four or five feasible options back in March - it would be even better if the seventh fighter was Geno like we all hope), but Nintendo seems hesitant to show anything until it's basically ready to be released, and with the coronavirus, release schedules are questionable and subject to change.
And this bolded part, right here, is what consumers shouldn't put up with. You'd think in this time of struggle, the concerns of the common man would be enough for Nintendo and other companies to come forward and say "We know you're leaning on us right now but we're just as mind****ed as you. We've got nothing we can sell you that gives you enough value, but we're going to try to fix this. The world has gone to hell and we know our silence has made us seem like unprofessional monkeys trying to learn nuclear physics, but the truth is this is literally the worst and we have no clue what we're doing. As soon as we do, though, we will let you know."

In stead we get the same "We'll show you **** when we FEEL like it." attitude like always, and like good consumers, we just accept it. The worst part is that if they do have something, then they'll exploit the hell out of it. They'll be content to make us starved enough to buy anything at this point.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
As someone who genuinely cares for only a handful of things, I don't mind seeing them split the other games away from stuff that I would look forward to. If I am anticipating Smash Bros or some amazing first party release, I usually spend at least 20-30 minutes of a direct not caring about 70% of the games being shown. I can imagine this to be the case for other fans as well. That's why Smash Directs like the August one are just more exciting for me. So I don't mind living in a world where Bayo3 is split off from Mario news. Because I'll just be like

(This is more or less a meme poking fun at myself but it was too good not to make)
Where'sMario.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom