• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
View attachment 280387
oh no

If Im not missing the context here, looks like we may be getting only a Mini this month

Best case scenario is we somehow get a Mario direct for this month instead
A Mario Direct is fairly likely given all the buildup for the 35th anniversary. That, and Geno in Smash being a reveal would still fit the theme and not break it

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Bit off topic, but feel it's worth discussing.

When Geno gets added, say he had two remixes not from Mario RPG: One from another Mario based RPG (Paper or M&L or maybe even Rabbids) and another is from another Square game from the SNES era (FF4-6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc). What two songs do you pick?
Bowser's Rage from PM64, and Dancing Mad from FFVI. If that last one is too much I'd use Exdeath's battle theme from FFV.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, calm down everyone. This isn't the end of the world. It's possible to still get a Sakurai presents style presentation in August to tie into FP7's launch in September

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
A Mario Direct is fairly likely given all the buildup for the 35th anniversary. That, and Geno in Smash being a reveal would still fit the theme and not break it
-Mario 3D Collection
-Mario 3D World Port
-The trademarked Mario Sports
-Some SpinOff like Super Mario Party 2
-Maybe LM3 or TOK DLC
-Mario Movie or Super Nintendo World news (Well, this is difficult obvious for the coronavirus)
-Geno is In (Maybe even Waluigi as a Bonus)
-Odyssey 2 teaser

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion

When Geno gets added, say he had two remixes not from Mario RPG: One from another Mario based RPG (Paper or M&L or maybe even Rabbids) and another is from another Square game from the SNES era (FF4-6, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc). What two songs do you pick?
Teehee Valley from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, and the Boss Battle theme from Final Fantasy IV.

D

Deleted member

Don't you find it odd that these guys were literally all in, every card on the table, chips pushed forward for a major... no... THE major direct and bandwagoned on Kelios' 20th as the day of it, some of them going as far as to start tormenting us Geno fans about his possible reveal, only to be totally blown the **** out by this Partner Direct nonsense and then suddenly change their tune in the exact opposite direction?

Nah. I don't buy this for a Nintendo minute. Not ol' Serenade. And you shouldn't either.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Again, calm down everyone. This isn't the end of the world. It's possible to still get a Sakurai presents style presentation in August to tie into FP7's launch in September
But if that is the case there should be a big difference between "Mr sakurai presents ??? But again" and the release (Maybe being announced like the 2nd half of August ((If is in the 19th, which is my birthday i would be really happy)) and being release really early (like the 4th with Banjo)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

In The Final - Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story
Robo’s Theme - Chrono Trigger

MattX20

Smash Hero
Don't you find it odd that these guys were literally all in, every card on the table, chips pushed forward for a major... no... THE major direct and bandwagoned on Kelios' 20th as the day of it, some of them going as far as to start tormenting us Geno fans about his possible reveal, only to be totally blown the **** out by this Partner Direct nonsense and then suddenly change their tune in the exact opposite direction?

Nah. I don't buy this for a Nintendo minute. Not ol' Serenade. And you shouldn't either.
Yeah, I've some doubts about this. It doesn't really add up when a lot of things right now are pointing at something in August

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Yeah these guys were CERTAIN that the 20th was the be-all end-all Direct. So if he’s also that amount of certain about no August Direct that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Nintendo has nothing. Literally every month this year from insiders and hopefuls has been 'Looks like we need to wait and see what -name of month- has to offer.' Then the month ends, its either nothing or fluff, then the start of the new month starts the cycle over again. Now its 'September' as the golden news month, and spoilers, that's going to turn into 'October.' Which will turn into 'November.' Then 'December.'

I don't hold any ire towards insiders; this is 100% Nintendo being dumb and secretive.

And honestly? I'm sick of hearing about these Mario anniversary games. To me, they AREN'T happening.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I've some doubts about this. It doesn't really add up when a lot of things right now are pointing at something in August
Honestly? Nothing really points at anything in August or any other time, it's just that this kind of behavior isn't that of a normal person, and I've said it several times in this thread - there's people on the other end of the screen. You don't just go all in like that and then say "whoops my bad well guess there's nothing period." I'm not going to call it insanity, but you can see it from here.

I miss the days of Deconfirmationfest 2019, when pretty much everyone said "**** these insiders they don't know jack" and for a time we just let what happened happen. I hate that we're back in this situation, gathered around the campfire listening to the soothsayers preach the prophecies they divined from the pig intestines.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Yeah... Remember how the Direct in March totally wasn't going to be a Mini either? To some degree I think we're getting smoke blown up our ass. Now, if someone like Imran Khan comes out and says an August Direct is dead in the water, then I'm much more inclined to take it at face value.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
And if we get a Mini like the one we got in March, and not a "partners showcase fiasco", I really don´t see the problem.
True, but just given the fact the July Partners Showcase was said to be a series, I'm leaning towards another being a Partners Showcase too with maybe some better games

MattX20

Smash Hero
Yeah... Remember how the Direct in March totally wasn't going to be a Mini either? To some degree I think we're getting smoke blown up our ass. Now, if someone like Imran Khan comes out and says an August Direct is dead in the water, then I'm much more inclined to take it at face value.
Yeah, that's probably the best mindset to have right now. Many insiders got quite a bit wrong this year, so we shouldn't take their word as gospel

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
In the Final's already in, albeit under the name The Grand Finale
I forgot it was in; kinda thought it was but wasn’t sure. Was it remixed, though?

I also thought about Tough Guy Alert!, which I know is also in, but it wasn’t remixed iirc.

If they don’t count, maybe The Ultimate Show from Super Paper Mario, or Never Let Up! from Dream Team.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just hate to see this community erupt into flames over every little thing that goes wrong, and I swear Genofriends are the worst about it.

Insider: *posts something that might be good news*
Geno fanbase: *scrutinizes it to pieces to find every way it could result horrendously for us*

vs

Insider: *posts a vague statement about how something might not happen*
Geno fanbase: *takes it at 100% face value and spirals into depression*

At this point NateDrake has said that there's no general direct in August, so in the worst case scenario, he's right and there's no "general" direct in August. Or, no disrespect to him or any other insider, he's wrong (again) and there's a general direct.

I had someone link me the Imran tweet chain in which he spelled out "MIN MIN" - he posted it two days before her reveal at 8 in the afternoon, which would have been 9 in the morning the day before the reveal in Japan. It may be presumptuous of me, but that sort of points to me that he got his information, or at least his go-ahead to extremely cryptically post information a meager two days in advance of Min Min's official reveal. I get that there's a lot of stuff out there that doesn't happen for a long time from when it's first teased or heard, but with how tight of a ship Nintendo seems to be running right now, it wouldn't surprise me at all if information heard a significant amount of time ahead of it happening is bait or an outright fabrication. I just wish for once these guys would admit if they got played.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I've posted it before, but my pessimistic take on the latest a character is released (not announced, who really knows on that front) is this:
  • November
  • February
  • June
  • September
  • December
I got those dates by working backwards from the end date of December 2021. The latest I see the next character being announced is October, so to me anything before that is early and good. I'm ready to sit tight and wait if needed, though I'm of course not terribly happy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another simple thing: if a presentation was supposed to happen on the July 20th, how the hell does it get postponed more than a MONTH literally a week later? The E3 presentation was already supposed to be June 9th. We now know that presentation was split into a number of others. I don't buy a three month delay when Nintendo already has stuff slated to release in September and October.

Firox

Smash Master
Insider: *posts something that might be good news*
Geno fanbase: *scrutinizes it to pieces to find every way it could result horrendously for us*

vs

Insider: *posts a vague statement about how something might not happen*
Geno fanbase: *takes it at 100% face value and spirals into depression*
I think you might be overgeneralizing here. I, for one, am not basing any of my reactions on the BS claims of "insiders". Any spirals of negativity I have are based purely on the actual idiocy of Nintendo and their boundless negligence. As for scrutinizing the insiders, can you really blame anyone? Many of them were hellbent on this last cluster of a direct being something monumental but it turned out to be a massive flop. In fact, pretty much every time this year they've tried to shower us with any glimmer of positivity, it's left us with nil. I should hope that if we've learned anything over the last few months, it's that nothing is reliable info unless Nintendo itself cuts the sutures from its mouth and says something.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I think we are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo has been affected by the world situation a lot more than we were initially told, and as a result, most announcements we may have been expecting are now being delayed as a result of the company taking steps to ensure their workforce isn't completely obliterated by a failure to act in regards to the pandemic. Yes; Other companies have had things to show, but I still stand by the belief that they are likely working their employees into unsafe situations in order to meet deadlines and take care of business at their expense. For a company like Nintendo, who focused more on retaining their workforce during the bleaker days of the WiiU versus letting go of staff, it makes more sense to me that the reason things have dried up is because they would rather focus on making sure their workers stay safe, even if it's at the detriment of products and releases.

I'm admittedly growing weary of the commentary suggesting that Nintendo, as an entity, has been sitting on their laurels and doing nothing as a personal attack on their consumer base, when in all reality, a company is merely the face of hundreds, if not thousands, of human beings working internally to ensure that the gears continue to turn properly - until it becomes a safety issue, in which case, some of those gears might have to stop for a while. Especially, bearing in mind that most people who make up giant companies like this have families and other immediate concerns that would very much be impacted by whatever decision-making is done by the corporate heads. The top dogs at any company have a responsibility to keep this in mind!

2020 became the year where most people should've expected things to stop moving, because to continue acting like nothing is wrong only serves the purpose of putting people into harm's way until a solution is found, and if this is why Nintendo hasn't been saying much of anything at all lately, I completely understand.

Some people are acting like Nintendo's doing this on purpose. "I thought they liked money." "They should at least tell us something, otherwise, they clearly don't care about us." "They haven't said anything, which means they have nothing." I feel as thought people fail to truly understand just how many pieces actually compose the entirety of the corporate structure, who all has to work, what all has to keep moving, in order to hit deadlines, meet demand, among other things, and if folks truly understood the environment we currently find ourselves in, they might actually realize that if things are still on-schedule for other figureheads, it's likely because they're pushing ahead despite the risks involved to the people that are responsible for their magic in the first place.

I want to reiterate that this is not a "Think of the Corporation!!" statement; More than anything I want to stress that my thoughts are about all of the people who are involved at the front lines, the people actively working their hardest to get things taken care of, despite what we're dealing with today. It's just been rubbing me the wrong way that, even when we're being ravaged by one of the worst disasters of our time, people are still expectant for things to continue as-is, that we still seem to find ourselves tapping our foot, demanding to know what exactly is on the way, because god forbid a company takes extra precaution versus just continuing to push its own people towards taking care of the bottom line.

If anything, 2020 so far has taught me the necessity and importance of realizing that set schedules and routines are one-hundred percent on-hold until at the very least 2021, and that we need to shake the mindset of keeping to certain practices with such rigidity.

I know a lot of us really just want positivity in such a bleak time period, but constantly looking at Nintendo with crossed arms going "Well?" is just inherently brewing more negativity than anything else, and I'm just seeing a lot of bitter attitudes more and more lately as a result.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Another simple thing: if a presentation was supposed to happen on the July 20th, how the hell does it get postponed more than a MONTH literally a week later? The E3 presentation was already supposed to be June 9th. We now know that presentation was split into a number of others. I don't buy a three month delay when Nintendo already has stuff slated to release in September and October.
I can't imagine they would tell their investors they literally have no plans for the rest of the year like that either. It would be disastrous if they did

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
I've posted it before, but my pessimistic take on the latest a character is released (not announced, who really knows on that front) is this:
  • November
  • February
  • June
  • September
  • December
I got those dates by working backwards from the end date of December 2021. The latest I see the next character being announced is October, so to me anything before that is early and good. I'm ready to sit tight and wait if needed, though I'm of course not terribly happy.
Pessimistic? This seems like a realistic take, reminder that any 3rd party character is overseen by it´s company, and Sakurai has to go those third parties for approval.

BTW, Nintendo did say that things were running on schedule. It was probably bull****. It would hurt their stock if they said otherwise.

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
I can't imagine they would tell their investors they literally have no plans for the rest of the year like that either. It would be disastrous if they did
The thing is that the Investors give money too Nintendo, if Nintendo has a lot of game they will get a lot of money, but they 0 (That's right 0) proyects announced. So either announce something before the 6th or they won't get money

D

Deleted member

Any spirals of negativity I have are based purely on the actual idiocy of Nintendo and their boundless negligence.
Saaaaame.

As for scrutinizing the insiders, can you really blame anyone? Many of them were hellbent on this last cluster of a direct being something monumental but it turned out to be a massive flop. In fact, pretty much every time this year they've tried to shower us with any glimmer of positivity, it's left us with nil. I should hope that if we've learned anything over the last few months, it's that nothing is reliable info unless Nintendo itself cuts the sutures from its mouth and says something.
No, I don't blame anyone for scrutinizing the insiders. I think they deserve more scrutiny, whether they give us good or bad news. My gripe is with how bad news is met with almost no scrutiny - it feels like we never question the bad news and only ever second guess the good. That was my point, there.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
We need to stop asking "What's Nintendos 2020 lineup???" When we should be asking "What's Nintendo's 2021 lineup?"

At this point I'm accepting the fact that the drip feed we got this year is what's going to hold us until next year. Even if HotGirl is right and August 3rd winds up being another crappy Partners Direct and they DO maybe talk about No More Heroes or Bayo 3, odds are they're shunted to 2021 as well.

At most we can hope for the Mario Collection (if it even exists) 3D World Deluxe, and maybe one Smash reveal

Hope you ain't bored of Animal Crossing yet

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
One word: Bakugan.
While I support Geno along with Waluigi, Crash Bandicoot, and Bomberman, I might want to discuss idea for Bakugan representation in Smash later.

To remind you all:
PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I think we are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo has been affected by the world situation a lot more than we were initially told, and as a result, most announcements we may have been expecting are now being delayed as a result of the company taking steps to ensure their workforce isn't completely obliterated by a failure to act in regards to the pandemic. Yes; Other companies have had things to show, but I still stand by the belief that they are likely working their employees into unsafe situations in order to meet deadlines and take care of business at their expense. For a company like Nintendo, who focused more on retaining their workforce during the bleaker days of the WiiU versus letting go of staff, it makes more sense to me that the reason things have dried up is because they would rather focus on making sure their workers stay safe, even if it's at the detriment of products and releases.

I'm admittedly growing weary of the commentary suggesting that Nintendo, as an entity, has been sitting on their laurels and doing nothing as a personal attack on their consumer base, when in all reality, a company is merely the face of hundreds, if not thousands, of human beings working internally to ensure that the gears continue to turn properly - until it becomes a safety issue, in which case, some of those gears might have to stop for a while. Especially, bearing in mind that most people who make up giant companies like this have families and other immediate concerns that would very much be impacted by whatever decision-making is done by the corporate heads. The top dogs at any company have a responsibility to keep this in mind!

2020 became the year where most people should've expected things to stop moving, because to continue acting like nothing is wrong only serves the purpose of putting people into harm's way until a solution is found, and if this is why Nintendo hasn't been saying much of anything at all lately, I completely understand.

Some people are acting like Nintendo's doing this on purpose. "I thought they liked money." "They should at least tell us something, otherwise, they clearly don't care about us." "They haven't said anything, which means they have nothing." I feel as thought people fail to truly understand just how many pieces actually compose the entirety of the corporate structure, who all has to work, what all has to keep moving, in order to hit deadlines, meet demand, among other things, and if folks truly understood the environment we currently find ourselves in, they might actually realize that if things are still on-schedule for other figureheads, it's likely because they're pushing ahead despite the risks involved to the people that are responsible for their magic in the first place.

I want to reiterate that this is not a "Think of the Corporation!!" statement; More than anything I want to stress that my thoughts are about all of the people who are involved at the front lines, the people actively working their hardest to get things taken care of, despite what we're dealing with today. It's just been rubbing me the wrong way that, even when we're being ravaged by one of the worst disasters of our time, people are still expectant for things to continue as-is, that we still seem to find ourselves tapping our foot, demanding to know what exactly is on the way, because god forbid a company takes extra precaution versus just continuing to push its own people towards taking care of the bottom line.

If anything, 2020 so far has taught me the necessity and importance of realizing that set schedules and routines are one-hundred percent on-hold until at the very least 2021, and that we need to shake the mindset of keeping to certain practices with such rigidity.

I know a lot of us really just want positivity in such a bleak time period, but constantly looking at Nintendo with crossed arms going "Well?" is just inherently brewing more negativity than anything else, and I'm just seeing a lot of bitter attitudes more and more lately as a result.
Thank you. Well said

True, but just given the fact the July Partners Showcase was said to be a series, I'm leaning towards another being a Partners Showcase too with maybe some better games
Probably

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While I support Geno along with Waluigi, Crash Bandicoot, and Bomberman, I might want to discuss idea for Bakugan representation in Smash later.

To remind you all:
Bakugan can’t get in, it started as a toy and anime franchise.

I’d like some cartoons and stuff too, but still, that’s the one rule Sakurai has stated himself and has kept.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Bakugan can’t get in, it started as a toy and anime franchise.
Hmm. looks like you need some clarification here. Bakugan is not only obscure nowadays, but it was originally planned to debut as a videogame. The Bakugan videogames were planned before the tabletop game and anime. While the anime and tabletop games were released first, they were soley used to promote the Bakugan videogames. So, thus Bakugan is a videogame franchise because it was intended to debut as a videogame.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
I dunno why people are using the investor meeting on August 6th as a reason for why we are getting a direct on the 3rd, or why people are using the fact that Square Enix had a publisher sale up to the 3rd.

FYI as far as I can tell, the meeting on the 6th is just an earnings report from April to June of this year. Nothing else, except finding out how much some 1st/3rd party games sold on the Switch. So pretty much Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, Clubhouse games, and some 3rd parties. If Nintendo really cared about revealing things by the investor meeting, then we would have had a full blown direct by the time the last BIG meeting, which was on June 26th.

And is a publisher sale really that suspicious?

So really unless you still believe HotGirl, there is no real evidence pointing towards another direct soon. The only thing is a maintenance, but we also had one this week too, so... I guess we could still have something announced soon, but just through twitter?

You think that's bad? At least you aren't a Berserk fan.
Berserk isn't even that bad anymore.

hiatus.png

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
At the end of the day, news will come when it comes and we will survive. Even if Geno doesn't make it we will survive. Or at least that won't be what does us in given the current state of things. Things would be truly be much easier if we just ignored leakers. I guess I'm guilty of buying into it after Paper Mario rumors turned out to be at least partially true but that partially aspect should have made me more wary to believe that at least some of these rumors could turn out.

Dealing with hospital bills, all this worldwide nonsense, the recent death of a family member, stuff with the house that we will be renting to own continually getting delayed in more and more frustrating ways, getting burnt out doing the same few things at work due this virus having a stranglehold on what we're able to do with clients and all the staffing issues on top of that, etc it's just an all around bad time (other than being engaged now but even that's stressful because of all the tentative planning we're trying to do). All this stuff compounded with a general pervading lack of hope everywhere is just exhausting. It's not an excuse tho to go hogwild on Nintendo or leakers when there's still time for things to pan out.

I say we ditch the leaker talk or Nintendo villainizing talk as it's just letting everyone down during an already stressful time. Let's fill the creative void left by Nintendo's currently absent game line up with our own creativity and get back to speculating about Geno and FP2 based off of what little we actually know. And let's just try to enjoy this time together as a fanbase for one of the most popular likely candidates for Smash DLC. And I'm serious about doing something like creating our own indie game or something to that effect let's do that!

vivala

Smash Journeyman

You're absolutely right, but I think a lot of fans (including myself at times) find it hard to accept that narrative when Nintendo was already being pretty quiet long before the pandemic. There was absolutely nothing at the game awards, despite them hyping it up. There was no January direct to give us their plans beyond Animal Crossing, which was already sort of weird since AC was delayed, meaning they'd presumably had other big plans for 2020 before then. Heck, if I'm remembering right, the only new game the September direct revealed was Xenoblade which, while a fantastic game, was still just a remaster.

Like I said, I believe your interpretation, but it can be hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when they were already acting like this months before the pandemic hit.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not trying to say the September direct was nothing or bad, just that Nintendo has always been very coy about their 2020 plans, especially when you consider they must have had plans before AC was delayed.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
If this is to be believed, even Kelios is saying August 3rd is another Partners...

Hunker down to September then...

image0-14.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom