• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Don't blame him, people blew the **** up at him when he wasn't 100% accurate despite getting a ton of stuff right.
Where do I say that I blame him? I´m with PushDustin on that tweet which is why I said "And people wonder why overhyping is unhealthy"

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
See the annoying thing is I'm not even super mad at the presentation itself. It's really nice for Nintendo to give SMT a giant spotlight.

What I'm mad about is Nintendo's lack of first party releases for the rest of the year, and the implication that this is the format going forward, all we get for who knows how long is a third party showcase each month (the fact they called it July 2020 says a lot) and Nintendo is just going to shadowdrop literally every game on twitter 2 months before release. Is the marketing team actually this tone deaf?
nintendo marketing: huh?

Giveaway412

Smash Cadet
About a week ago, I claimed that only one Smash reveal was a reasonable expectation, and people claimed I was underhyping. Now the moment has passed and we didn't get even that.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Ugh, I feel bad for poor Kelios. The poor guy got his information right like King Zell, and crap like this happens.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Something I can't stand about this community is that people tell us we need to appreciate and like every single announcement Nintendo gives us, like we're not allowed to be disappointed or even angry. As consumers, we are 100% allowed to be disappointed and angry at an announcement, just like how some people are 100% allowed to be excited or hyped at an announcement. If we personally find something disappointing, we have every right to get our voices heard and talk about our disappointment. Just because we all love Nintendo, it does not mean we have to agree with every decision they make. They are a company filled with millions of people, so they are bound to make mistakes from time to time. They are FAR from perfect and whenever they do make a mistake, people are most certainly allowed to address it.

Sorry if I sound like I'm yelling at clouds right now, but I seriously hate that mindset. I just can't stand when people act like Nintendo does no wrong and that we should just appreciate what we have, because that isn't how consuming products is supposed to work. Nintendo isn't immune to criticism like people think they are, and if I disagree or am disappointed in the company, you better believe I will be addressing it.

GodzillaGuy64

Smash Apprentice
5CE4AA3F-C30B-4114-98DB-63EC92E63A98.jpeg

I’m so f***ing tired of this. Literally, Sony and Microsoft can put together HOUR long presentations just fine. So WHY does Nintendo struggle with putting out one and they can’t even hit TEN MINUTES. Also, DON’T put the blame on Kelios, Nate, or anyone else. They are JUST as confused as we are.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I've begun to think someone accidentally flushed the hard drive containing all of Nintendo's 2020 releases down the toilet and they've just been trying skirt along with what they were able to salvage from it.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Nintendo fans have a ****ing harassment problem. It's not just Smash fans targeting certain groups (with Geno's, Isaac's, and Waluigi's getting trash all the time), it's just Nintendo fans normalizing widespread bullying across the board.

Enough is enough. These lobotomized man-children don't deserve **** from Nintendo after their behavior. Poor Kellos.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
This should honestly be proof enough that putting leakers on some sort of pedestal is a terrible idea because plans change both internally at Nintendo all the time and by marketers, ESPECIALLY in something related to third parties.
In the end, Nintendo doesn't have anything to show the public right now. It's very clear that this is their form of damage control. They're trying to spread out their hype with smaller presentations that they drop in the morning without even live streaming them. They never once told anyone to expect something big, expect Smash, etc.
Begging for a direct is always a monkey's paw because Nintendo can only show what they have. Can't show what they don't have without dropping a logo or showing an unfinished character model and having to wait months before anything else.
Anyway stop acting like this is somehow the leakers fault since once a leaker gets their info it's not like they know absolutely everything that's going on. It's not like Kelios falsified info or anything he just posted what he knew and nothing else.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Something I can't stand about this community is that people tell us we need to appreciate and like every single announcement Nintendo gives us, like we're not allowed to be disappointed or even angry. As consumers, we are 100% allowed to be disappointed and angry at an announcement, just like how some people are 100% allowed to be excited or hyped at an announcement. If we personally find something disappointing, we have every right to get our voices heard and talk about our disappointment. Just because we all love Nintendo, it does not mean we have to agree with every decision they make. They are a company filled with millions of people, so they are bound to make mistakes from time to time. They are FAR from perfect and whenever they do make a mistake, people are most certainly allowed to address it.

Sorry if I sound like I'm yelling at clouds right now, but I seriously hate that mindset. I just can't stand when people act like Nintendo does no wrong and that we should just appreciate what we have, because that isn't how consuming products is supposed to work. Nintendo isn't immune to criticism like people think they are, and if I disagree or am disappointed in the company, you better believe I will be addressing it.
While I agree that voicing disappointment is important (even if I liked 3/5 announcements, it wasn't great), I don't like it when fans go... well ape ****.

That's where the "hoes mad" stuff comes from. Frustration over people's inability to express negative emotions well.

You're expressing yourself well. Youtube comments are not.

Bomber57

Smash Cadet
It was disappointing but let's get real here. None of this justifies people driving others out of the community.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Spam/image-only - include text to give people something to respond to

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

preach bro.

I feel like my favorite restaurant has been burning their food the last few months and if I complain about it, I’m told “hey, it’s a good restaurant you shouldn’t criticize it.

we are living in times you can’t critize things your not happy with and being told “only say nice things about it and appreciate the food you get from them”

Tired of that. I don’t condone bullying or threats, but saying you cant dislike something is annoying.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Well, don´t expect Kellos leaking anything Nintendo related ever again
https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1285222501417533442

And people wonder why I say "overhyping" yourself in advance is unhealthy
Jesus ****ing christ, if you're going to get angry at someone, make it the company that continues to drip feed all major news about games, NOT the person that's been trying to give some heads up about possible news.

Personally though, I went into with very low expectations and was still disappointed. Yeah, there's a pandemic and not everyone is gonna get affected the same way but when other insiders are very confused about Nintendo's current approach with this, it doesn't look like this company is doing the best it can to provide news and updates when other companies are doing a better job at this.

MattX20

Smash Hero
This should honestly be proof enough that putting leakers on some sort of pedestal is a terrible idea because plans change both internally at Nintendo all the time and by marketers, ESPECIALLY in something related to third parties.
In the end, Nintendo doesn't have anything to show the public right now. It's very clear that this is their form of damage control. They're trying to spread out their hype with smaller presentations that they drop in the morning without even live streaming them. They never once told anyone to expect something big, expect Smash, etc.
Begging for a direct is always a monkey's paw because Nintendo can only show what they have. Can't show what they don't have without dropping a logo or showing an unfinished character model and having to wait months before anything else.
Anyway stop acting like this is somehow the leakers fault since once a leaker gets their info it's not like they know absolutely everything that's going on. It's not like Kelios falsified info or anything he just posted what he knew and nothing else.
The crushing irony of this is that this damage control is doing more damage

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yes guys, the presentation was a massive disappointment and insiders were clearly mistaken in hyping it up.

But guess what? They were still right. They still have us SOMETHING to look forward to, and depending on who you are the announcements today were at least a little bit cool. This Direct made SOME people happy.

And with how we keep acting, we'll be lucky to keep getting that smidge of knowing when we'll be pulled out of the dark. If you don't like leaks, cool. If you're disappointed, cool. Just leave the person in question out of it. They were just as bamboozled as you were.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So... Let me get this straight... Nintendo took a perfectly amazing, possibly LEGENDARY, E3 Direct, chopped it into four videos, and is basically going to make it an episodic thing for the next three weeks...

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Isn't it easier on fans if leakers don't raise expectations? I get that there are those times where a huge leak happens and it's all accurate and everyone's freaking out - but for every one of those, it feels like there's triple or more the amount of massive disappointments.

Imagine the world were none of the leakers said anything about this direct. 80% of us wouldn't have been awake to see the announcement, we'd have woken up, seen a little direct, watched it, and just shrugged it off. Likely exactly what nintendo intended. Instead we got hyped as hell, were frothing at the mouth, and are now left devastated.

Leakers hurt community morale, their presence is overall and overtime a net negative. I get they'll always exist, and people (including myself 100%) love to let the leaks and rumors swirl around in their minds and let their hopes and dreams run rampant, but man. We've gotta learn to temper the flames of hype, especially when there's no guarantees with things like leaks.

To be clear I'm not blaming anyone here. I'm just discussing.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, apparently, the SMT 3 HD thing was a sign of better stuff down the line.

It's not all bad guys.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
Isn't it easier on fans if leakers don't raise expectations? I get that there are those times where a huge leak happens and it's all accurate and everyone's freaking out - but for every one of those, it feels like there's triple or more the amount of massive disappointments.

Imagine the world were none of the leakers said anything about this direct. 80% of us wouldn't have been awake to see the announcement, we'd have woken up, seen a little direct, watched it, and just shrugged it off. Likely exactly what nintendo intended. Instead we got hyped as hell, were frothing at the mouth, and are now left devastated.

Leakers hurt community morale, their presence is overall and overtime a net negative. I get they'll always exist, and people (including myself 100%) love to let the leaks and rumors swirl around in their minds and let their hopes and dreams run rampant, but man. We've gotta learn to temper the flames of hype, especially when there's no guarantees with things like leaks.

To be clear I'm not blaming anyone here. I'm just discussing.
Getting hyped as hell and frothing at the mouth sounds like fault of the consumer, not the leaker.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
So... Let me get this straight... Nintendo took a perfectly amazing, possibly LEGENDARY, E3 Direct, chopped it into four videos, and is basically going to make it an episodic thing for the next three weeks...

We'll be lucky if we hear anything else in the next three weeks imo. I believe the games are there, but god I don't believe in Nintendo's will to show them off.

Firox

Smash Master
About a week ago, I claimed that only one Smash reveal was a reasonable expectation, and people claimed I was underhyping. Now the moment has passed and we didn't get even that.
Let us pause for moment to reflect on the ludicrously ****ty state of Nintendo when we are elated to get HALF a smash reveal these days.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

I don't know man, the fact they called it the JULY 2020 partner showcase implies we aren't getting another one until atleast next month. Unless you mean them doing a separate first party thing, which given what other people are saying on Era right now might be plausible since apparently SOMETHING is releasing in September?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Getting hyped as hell and frothing at the mouth sounds like fault of the consumer, not the leaker.
I'd say its a three part problem.

• Nintendo is in an announcement lull, causing the fanbase to get frustrated.
  • Leakers well leaks things they've heard. Fans expectations go higher than they would have otherwise.
  • Nintendo releases news as they intended, but its doesn't live up to the hype and fans go ape ****.

None of the above parties are really to blame. It's just a vicious cycle we're all stuck in.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
All things considered all 4 of those announcements could have just been shadow dropped on Twitter really either be Nintendo themselves or the companies.

The Shin Megami Tensei news was the only thing that was kind of Direct worthy in it.

T2by4

Smash Lord

That's what I'm noticing. Three maintenance updates every monday for the next three weeks. (Including this one)

Also they usually go last during E3. Xbox is next. So we should be after them on the following monday if that maintenance update is anything to go by.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

• Leakers well leaks things they've heard. Fans expectations go higher than they would have otherwise.
  • Nintendo releases news as they intended, but its doesn't live up to the hype and fans go ape ****.

None of the above parties are really to blame. It's just a vicious cycle we're all stuck in.
That’s fair assessment, but what points it worst for Nintendo is they’ve explicitly said things are on schedule for release. If they didn’t say anything at all, then I wouldn’t be as irritated with Nintendo about it.

Last edited:

Naigumi

Smash Cadet

Didn't Nintendo said something about "yeah Directs are nice but maybe we can find new ways of delivering information"?
If chopping the Direct is one of those new ways... It's so dumb.

Monue

Smash Apprentice
I respectfully disagree. I believe the intent of leaking information is inherently to generate and propagate hype, and as much as possible. They know the impact what they say will have when they say it.

MattX20

Smash Hero

This. Nintendo's lack of transparency on the whole thing compared to Microsoft and Sony has caused a lot of frustration and this Direct only made things worse.

D

Deleted member

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING GENO THREAD

This is a friendly reminder that Geno, yes THE Geno from Super Mario RPG wasn't injured at all in this direct, and as underwhelming as it was, we're still sitting pretty. If I may be so bold as to speculate for just a moment, I'm going to refer to a tweet by the venerable Imran Khan:

I think this contextualizes what Nate said about the investors being told "bunk", and I believe this is why we see a nearly 4 minute difference in the JP direct and our own. If you have not watched it yet, give it a look even if you don't speak Japanese without subtitles - it opens with two games that the US didn't get at all, and focuses a lot less on the games we spent nearly a fourth of the time on - their two lead titles are very obviously plot heavy and will take time to translate that Nintendo clearly isn't confident in showing to a western audience since they will not be able to promise a date.

All of this is about promising a date, and even with that fear assuaged, they put a reminder at the beginning of the video, and all of it ties into Imran's tweet. Nintendo is showing their "partner" games that they know have a tangible release date barring unforeseen circumstances. Ours sucked total balls because we have the misfortune of having to have this **** translated.

I have a lot of friends who are big into SMT and it's cool that Nocturne, the game that basically carried the franchise to popularity, is getting a remake. I'm sorry if SMT isn't your thing and I understand that it's easy to want more, but I'm glad that they had some kind of bombshell in this direct, even if it was one part something we knew was coming (probably) and one part remake of a nearly twenty year old game.

Now, a note: I'm not excusing this. Nintendo has really botched this year and I think it's because of what Imran tweeted - Furukawa wrote a check that his ass can't cash but he's cashing it anyway. They really don't want to take chances or advertise games that they can't state with 99% confidence will be coming. It isn't a good look, it's not a smart move, but they're trying to make investors... not happy, but placated. It's business, and to make matters more confusing, it's Japanese business. What I do hope is that this means moving forward, they make direct minis for their third party games, and directs for Nintendo exclusive titles, and maybe that's what we're going to see.

EDIT: And because I have to say it for some god damned reason: Do not blow up at your friendly local insider. These guys are just trying to get info out to everyone, whether or not you approve of what they do. I'm skeptical of these folks, I think that sometimes they get baited, maybe some lie to gather clout and then write it off as a mistake, etc, but under no circumstance do I attack them. I said it last night, but there are people on the other side of the screen and everyone needs to remember that.

EDIT 2: Unless your name's Sabi, **** you my guy, you ruined everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
There shouldn't be any ire directed towards insiders or leakers for this. None of them made it sound like they were trolling or messing with people. Its Nintendo that screwed this up.

Gameexplain did a prediction video and it was wrong, but should hate be directed at them? No. Kelios just offered what he had and he sounds just as shocked at this as everyone. He's not to blame for this lackluster display. There is the possibility all of it WAS right, but Nintendo has been awful at relaying news this year. THAT'S been the constant in this whole debacle.

Nope, this is a rare time where insiders and non-insiders are all in the same boat: frustrated at Nintendo.

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
I respectfully disagree. I believe the intent of leaking information is inherently to generate and propagate hype, and as much as possible. They know the impact what they say will have when they say it.
I absolutely agree with this sentiment, although I think it's a two way streak. Leakers who hype up fans and fans who hype themselves up.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Nintendo said something about "yeah Directs are nice but maybe we can find new ways of delivering information"?
If chopping the Direct is one of those new ways... It's so dumb.
To be fair, nothing is more Nintendo than taking something that was beloved and abandoning/ruining it for the sake of "innovation"

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's been almost an hour, I've had to time to think about the Direct. I went into it not expecting much and kept my hype level low and that helped. All I gotta say is that it's all good. It's all right. Do what you gotta do. Time is gonna pass and it'll be better.

Besides its gonna make that Geno & Waluigi reveal sweeter when we finally get it y'all! WE'LL BE SERVIN' A HIGHER AUTHORITY AND SCREAMIN' W A A H

T2by4

Smash Lord
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING GENO THREAD

This is a friendly reminder that Geno, yes THE Geno from Super Mario RPG wasn't injured at all in this direct, and as underwhelming as it was, we're still sitting pretty. If I may be so bold as to speculate for just a moment, I'm going to refer to a tweet by the venerable Imran Khan:

I think this contextualizes what Nate said about the investors being told "bunk", and I believe this is why we see a nearly 4 minute difference in the JP direct and our own. If you have not watched it yet, give it a look even if you don't speak Japanese without subtitles - it opens with two games that the US didn't get at all, and focuses a lot less on the games we spent nearly a fourth of the time on - their two lead titles are very obviously plot heavy and will take time to translate that Nintendo clearly isn't confident in showing to a western audience since they will not be able to promise a date.

All of this is about promising a date, and even with that fear assuaged, they put a reminder at the beginning of the video, and all of it ties into Imran's tweet. Nintendo is showing their "partner" games that they know have a tangible release date barring unforeseen circumstances. Ours sucked total balls because we have the misfortune of having to have this **** translated.

I have a lot of friends who are big into SMT and it's cool that Nocturne, the game that basically carried the franchise to popularity, is getting a remake. I'm sorry if SMT isn't your thing and I understand that it's easy to want more, but I'm glad that they had some kind of bombshell in this direct, even if it was one part something we knew was coming (probably) and one part remake of a nearly twenty year old game.

Now, a note: I'm not excusing this. Nintendo has really botched this year and I think it's because of what Imran tweeted - Furukawa wrote a check that his ass can't cash but he's cashing it anyway. They really don't want to take chances or advertise games that they can't state with 99% confidence will be coming. It isn't a good look, it's not a smart move, but they're trying to make investors... not happy, but placated. It's business, and to make matters more confusing, it's Japanese business. What I do hope is that this means moving forward, they make direct minis for their third party games, and directs for Nintendo exclusive titles, and maybe that's what we're going to see.
I miss Steveposting.

Firox

Smash Master

To be fair, the outrage wouldn't have been so bad if there had been at least ONE hype thing in the entire presentation. In fact, I know it would have been a little awkward and out of place, but could you imagine if they had randomly tagged a smash reveal onto the end of it? It doesn't even matter WHO had been revealed. That alone would have completely redeemed it. But no. We got chibi WWE, N64-grade FPS, a remake of an old game and some DLC packs for a spin-off Zelda game. No, Nintendo is getting all the hate it deserves. Though I do agree that people need to back the **** off of the leakers. They predicted that we'd get a Monday direct and against all odds (and a very last minute heads up by Nintendo), it actually happened. Nobody could have predicted that said direct would have ended as ****ty as it did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom