• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griselda

Smash Lord
There's something I just noticed about Smithy. His arms are chains, right? Like in his sprite sheet and in this artwork here.

But then I keep seeing this other artwork, too, including on the Mario Wiki, which instead appears to have yellow tubes for arms. And a couple other things about him seem to be different in this one, too. What's going on, here?

smithy arms.png

MattX20

Smash Hero
Just 10 minutes? Well, let's just hope the information we get in the next 3 hours or so at least provides something good

HanSoloIndie

Smash Cadet
Seeing the news intitally made me slightly disappointed, but I think I possibly found a silver lining. After seeing Kelios clarify that there is both first party and third party stuff, I began to notice the amount of times Nintendo would clarify under a Tweet to control hype.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1281354234328313856
(About Wayfoward's new game announcement during the Paper Mario Origami King Treehouse)

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1273978927531175936
(Telling folks that only ARMS will be shown)

(I think there are couple more examples but couldn't find them yet, so if anyone could back me up here)

So the fact that Nintendo HAS NOT clarified that there will be no Smash and considering that Smash reveals are usually around 3 minutes max, it could be a possibility.

Also, Nintendo PR sucks. Why with the vague wording, and being so unclear in communication. I am not trying to argue a sense of entitlement, but at least they can communicate and be more transparent with their intended audience. That's what probably caught many of the insiders wrong, they probably couldn't understand the full picture.

And users and guests, please stop blaming Fatmanonice. He is just a passionate Geno fan person who likes to theory craft but also has a little more insight than your average person. That doesn't mean he is an insider, and therefore shouldn't be treated as such. Heck, I personally think that it's mostly internal Nintendo PR to blame for it's poor communication.

Last edited:

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I want to be patient and wait for the direct to be done in order to make a better judgement of the situation.
Yeah it sucks that Nintendo may have pulled a fast one on ALL of us, not just us fans but probably those hard working people who have tried their best to provide us with some hope with information they found somewhere. It's not easy when you are working in the shadows and in the light of what happened, it can backfire at you so easily as we saw here.

I want to thank them for doing their best, put yourself in their shoes for a couple of minutes and think what it would feel. Not so pleasant when dealing with the backlash, isn't it?

Even if there's no Smash news in that Direct, I can safely say that I know for sure the Sakurai would NOT do a Twitter reveal. The guy and worked hard on the new fighters and will not settle for such a underwhelming way to show us these characters. If his hands are tied and is forced to do it that way, I bet he would not be happy about it.
Sakurai is proud to showcase the new fighters to us, that's one thing for sure.

And if it's freaking GENO of all people, the one character that he was interested to implement in Smash since Brawl, you bet he's gonna do his own kind of Direct.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
Our grasp on sanity remains...absolute. Isn't that right agent Geno?

Here's the sitch: no E3 direct, or E3 at all, nothing to look forward to seemingly aside 'rumored' games, and an ongoing crisis.
A lesser man would die here...

Screen Shot 2020-07-20 at 1.18.18 PM.png

...We'll be home by Christmas~

HanSoloIndie

Smash Cadet

Here's the sitch: no E3 direct, or E3 at all, nothing to look forward to seemingly aside 'rumored' games, and an ongoing crisis.

View attachment 279418

Ah, I see you love good scenes of meme potential my friend. Anyways, I hope for the best at 10 EST everyone! I hope everyone has an awesome day, whether it being at home, work, or being on the front lines against COVID-19.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Aren’t Bandai Namco/SE considered “partners” of Nintendo by proxy of Nintendo investing in those companies? So technically by that label there could be something Geno/Smash related tomorrow.
It's possible, but I'm not quite sure if they'd do it. If Geno/Whoever has a traditional Smash reveal trailer, that'd be eating up two out of ten minutes, wouldn't it? At least. Which is kind of a lot. Unless it's a 'Here's the next fighter, and here's the date for when Sakurai goes into detail on them' kind of thing.
Bandai Namco and Square Enix are indeed considered Nintendo partners...

As for the trailer length, they're generally around two minutes, but the Ridley and Joker reveal trailers are a little shorter, at about 1:50. That means they could still put a Smash reveal in the Direct Mini and not have it take up too much time, and that's without factoring in the possibility of no gameplay footage.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

View attachment 279418

Okay usually the Geno memes make me roll my eyes.

But this.

I like this one.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I'm hopeful for a reveal, but I don't expect one. Just give me a game or two im interested in sometime soon and ill be happy.

D

Deleted member

There's something I just noticed about Smithy. His arms are chains, right? Like in his sprite sheet and in this artwork here.

But then I keep seeing this other artwork, too, including on the Mario Wiki, which instead appears to have yellow tubes for arms. And a couple other things about him seem to be different in this one, too. What's going on, here?

View attachment 279416
Wait a minute, his arms are chains and yellow tubes?

I never knew that...

All these SMRPG characters have some kind of body part I don't notice when playing the original game lol, like how Mack is the little red guy riding on the knife and how Exor is really the sword handle while Neosquid, the one talking to Mario at the beginning of the game, is actually the sword.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Ill just say the virus ****ed everything up for Nintendo and that's the hill Im dying on
There’s no doubt that the pandemic as affected things and is understandable. I was more understanding about that until Nintendo publicly said things are on schedule and has not been affected by virus. That’s where the frustration is. Saying one thing, but acting in another way. It would have been better if they either said nothing or even on the lines of “the pandemic has affected us and we are working as hard and safely as we can.”
But they didn’t. So it’s understandable the frustration. If things are on schedule ...
Then show us what’s planned. Heck, you can even put a disclaimer that says “the release is these may be affected by the pandemic so there can be delays.” That’s ok and completely understandable. But not showing even SOMeTHIng that was planned to be shown in E3 is getting rediculous.
My expectations are low for this direct but they gotta at least show something to save a little face.

RageCage271

Smash Cadet
Wow, looks like I'm not the only one who couldn't sleep. Ya'll are up early. I'm going to be a zombie at work today :/

As per usual, I've been lurking, so I'm well aware of the situation, including all of the recent happenings... I'm disheartened, but I did have that same thought as some of you. SquEnix are in fact "partners." It might seem grim this round, but we're not dead in the water just yet. Trying to go in with a positive attitude and hope something great comes out of this presentation!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I just woke up to find out that we have a Direct this morning (which is good), but it's only ten minutes long (which is bad), and it only focuses on currently-announced games (which could be good), but insiders are saying that it's disappointing (which is bad), but the Direct comes with a free frogurt (which is good), but the frogurt is cursed (which is bad), but I get my choice of topping (which is good), but the toppings contain potassium benzoate. (which is bad)

I'm keeping my expectations low for this one - I figure the only things that I have to look forward to are release dates for Doom Eternal and No More Heroes 3 with no trailers attached. I'd love to see a Smash reveal, especially Geno (it would be a huge relief to not have to worry about whether or not he's in for the next year and a half), but I doubt it will happen given how short the Direct is. (unless it's a Joker style reveal with no gameplay, and even then, that would use up a good portion of that ten-ish minutes)

I really hope we get a Bayonetta 3 trailer (so far, all we've learned about it in the past three years is that Platinum's still working on it, allegedly), but I doubt it.

Last edited:

xNovaNebulax

Smash Journeyman
I just woke up to find out that we have a Direct this morning (which is good), but it's only ten minutes long (which is bad), and it only focuses on currently-announced games (which could be good), but insiders are saying that it's disappointing (which is bad), but the Direct comes with a free frogurt (which is good), but the frogurt is cursed (which is bad), but I get my choice of topping (which is good), but the toppings contain potassium benzoate. (which is bad)

I'm keeping my expectations low for this one - I figure the only things that I have to look forward to are release dates for Doom Eternal and No More Heroes 3 with no trailers attached. I'd love to see a Smash reveal, especially Geno (it would be a huge relief to not have to worry about whether or not he's in for the next year and a half), but I doubt it will happen given how short the Direct is. (unless it's a Joker style reveal with no gameplay, and even then, that would use up a good portion of that ten-ish minutes)
HA! i get the reference!!

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I just woke up to find out that we have a Direct (which is good), but it's only ten minutes long (which is bad), and it only focuses on currently-announced games (which could be good), but insiders are saying that it's disappointing (which is bad), but the Direct comes with a free frogurt (which is good), but the frogurt is cursed (which is bad), but I get my choice of topping (which is good), but the toppings contain potassium benzoate. (which is bad)
Ah, this is a good reference. I have an immense appreciation for the classics, thank you for the fun in these difficult times. :ultduckhunt:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Wow. I am glad I bowed out right before the announcement. Nintendo, fire your marketing/PR department.
Also, Nintendo? At least try and pretend that you want to compete against Sony and Microsoft.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
There’s no doubt that the pandemic as affected things and is understandable. I was more understanding about that until Nintendo publicly said things are on schedule and has not been affected by virus. That’s where the frustration is. Saying one thing, but acting in another way. It would have been better if they either said nothing or even on the lines of “the pandemic has affected us and we are working as hard and safely as we can.”
But they didn’t. So it’s understandable the frustration. If things are on schedule ...
Then show us what’s planned. Heck, you can even put a disclaimer that says “the release is these may be affected by the pandemic so there can be delays.” That’s ok and completely understandable. But not showing even SOMeTHIng that was planned to be shown in E3 is getting rediculous.
My expectations are low for this direct but they gotta at least show something to save a little face.
I mean....I don’t know if I would blame Nintendo for saying “everything is on schedule”. Trump is doing the same thing with the entire US. It’s to not worry investors. I almost never believe corporations, they are famous for lying. And as much as I love Nintendo, at the end of the day they are a business too unfortunately.

I agree with you that I would have approached things a lot differently. Also, my expectations are rock bottom low as well. The only thing I am hoping for is an announcement for a real Direct,

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Well Origami King was better then i thought it would be. The fact the villain does voice the frustrations people have over Toads made me more curious, and i discovered that Miyamoto had a lot more to do with the decline of the paper mario series then i originally thought.

IntSys was given 2 rules by Miyamoto they can not break, those rules being they are required to use mario character or completely alien characters who have nothing to do with the Mario universe. Miyamoto also told them when asked that "It's fine without a story" and to "Keep it with as many super mario characters as possible" which is why all the NPCs are Toads of different colors, making new characters isn't allowed. All this together i'm surprised Bobby was even made, even if he is the bare minimum of a unique design.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be perfectly honest about something; It's really, really difficult to not feel disappointed with the lack of information and current outlook as far as releases and new content from Nintendo goes.

But, at the end of the day, we are 100% dealing with a unprecedented worldwide situation. We are dealing with a sickness the likes of which has not been seen since the early 1900s, and with some of the countries involved not taking things as seriously as they desperately need to, it is actually incredible that we're expecting some companies to continue along as if everything is still par for the course; Even if they tell us things are fine, it's reasonable to expect that things are not as fine as they may want it to be.

I see some folks around me are just flabbergasted that Nintendo's marketing is doing such a horrendous job, and Nintendo doesn't care about peoples' enjoyment/fun, but like, at the end of the day, what exactly do we know about what happens within a gigantic worldwide corporation like Nintendo, who operates in multiple places and typically interacts with multiple people/multiple parties? Especially if one of their biggest offices resides in one of the biggest current hot spots of the disease, a location which has been very blasé overall about its response to this deadly pandemic?

What is currently happening right now has impacted services of all kinds, ranging from office work to outside deliveries, food services and mass gatherings, travel by air, land and sea, and when you combine all of this together, I'm sorry to say, this genuinely does not paint a picture of every cog in the machine able to proceed as-normal.

Disappointment is understandable. This situation flies in the face of everything we have grown accustomed to in our lifespan. But, we may need to just get used to the fact that we are probably not going to be seeing anything of note for a while, and that there is probably not a whole lot that Nintendo can really do about it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
And Ill say Maybe when they said "We all good" Things were litaraly all good then **** took a nose dive. **** like that happens, I could be good today but by this evening I could be a depressed mess

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I completely understand if you are dissapointed in Nintendo. I am too. You have every reason to be dissapointed in them.

But dont be dissapointed about Fatman because his theories did not come true.

Maybe I worded it not good. English is not my native language. Sorry for that.
Ah no worries. Nah, I'm not upset about Fatman's theories, because I've never treated them as anything but. Sources or no.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Again, we are talking about ANNOUNCING THINGS, not releasing them. As I said, things have been affected, productions, planning etc. However, are we to really believe that Nintendo had NOTHING to show for E3? Nothing?

I agree, one day things look good, and another things look bad. But that is for releasing the actual product. Which is completely understandable. But not even showing "Here is what we are working on and were going to show at E3. There may be delays due to the pandemic, but take a look at our video."

That's where I am getting at. Just show us what was planned, even if THE RELEASE is delayed to do issues.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good day Genobros. Well, we finally got the Nintendo Direct (Mini) announcement. :) I would like to advise to all to simply wait for the Direct to go live (let us not be hasty). For the matter of information, we do have another Summer Games Fest showcase today (not to imply it means something; just informing).

On the topic of expectations, while playing PM:TOK yesterday, as I progressed further I realized that this game got a lot of ****... for no reason. True that it may not follow with the partners, exp, badges features from the first two titles, but this game shines on its own quirks.

May you all have a great week, and remember to stay safe. :seuss:

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm done getting hopeful for future directs and news that could happen based on other events. I'm not expecting news in September or anything from Nintendo for the holidays. I'm not waiting by my computer for this 'Direct' either. I now don't care about it.

This disappointmemt has nothing to do with Fatman or Gameexplain or insiders or anyone who theorizes or hints. This is 100% all stemming from Nintendo and their incompetent marketing department. And I don't want to hear about this virus. This has been an issue well before that, and even then, Sony and Microsoft have been vocal with their plans and situation. They have delivered. Nintendo has gotten quieter but claims they are on schedule, which either means they are lying or they never had anything.

In fact, I actually like all the theory stuff and hint teases from Fatman and the various insiders. It gave uplifting news and upbeat conversation, and Lord knows this year needs ANY positivity. I doubt any of them lied. There at least offered something because Nintendo sure as hell isn't doing it. Disappointed? Of course, but that falls at Nintendo's feet.

I don't care what Nintendo does now as clearly Nintendo doesn't either.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
In fact, I actually like all the theory stuff and hint teases from Fatman and the various insiders. It gave uplifting news and upbeat conversation, and Lord knows this year needs ANY positivity. I doubt any of them lied. There at least offered something because Nintendo sure as hell isn't doing it. Disappointed? Of course, but that falls at Nintendo's feet.

I don't care what Nintendo does now as clearly Nintendo doesn't either.
Yeah honestly I would've been very disappointed by this direct announcement regardless of if I'd heard the rumors or not. At least with insiders I got to have some hype beforehand and have some things to hope for in the future.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
You guys do know that this direct could give us intel on games that comes out THIS YEAR which would make it as Nintendo claims of "being on track" to the investor being true at the end of things?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
At this point, I don't believe we're getting CP7 revealed at this Mini unfortunately. It could be possible, but I'm not really expecting it.

I will admit, I was extremely disappointed when this was announced. We are now in July and we don't have a single new game for us Nintendo fans to look forward to. Everything has already released. I get their is a global pandemic and I understand that that is more important then game announcements, but if other companies are able to reveal games, especially Japanese companies, then why in the hell is it so hard for Nintendo to announce any games? This announcement honestly felt like a slap to the face for people who just wants clarification for what is coming up in the near future. Updates on games we already know about is the last thing we need right now.

I'm sorry if I sound mad, but I'm just frustrated. 2020 has by far been the worst year to be a Nintendo fan and I seriously hope 2021 will be a vast improvement for the company. I also hope that whatever is shown off at this Direct, it better be good.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You guys do know that this direct could give us intel on games that comes out THIS YEAR which would make it as Nintendo claims of "being on track" to the investor being true at the end of things?
They've said that it's only going to focus on currently-announced games, so unless Breath of the Wild 2, New Pokemon Snap, or Metroid Prime 4 are coming out this year, I doubt we'll get much (if any) focus on first party games.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
At this point, I don't believe we're getting CP7 revealed at this Mini unfortunately. It could be possible, but I'm not really expecting it.

I will admit, I was extremely disappointed when this was announced. We are now in July and we don't have a single new game for us Nintendo fans to look forward to. Everything has already released. I get their is a global pandemic and I understand that that is more important then game announcements, but if other companies are able to reveal games, especially Japanese companies, then why in the hell is it so hard for Nintendo to announce any games? This announcement honestly felt like a slap to the face for people who just wants clarification for what is coming up in the near future. Updates on games we already know about is the last thing we need right now.

I'm sorry if I sound mad, but I'm just frustrated. 2020 has by far been the worst year to be a Nintendo fan and I seriously hope 2021 will be a vast improvement for the company. I also hope that whatever is shown off at this Direct, it better be good.
For what its worth, that Mini might change it and we have something to look forward to, even if its titles we already know about (as in we get finally release dates for some games that they have been vague about)

They've said that it's only going to focus on currently-announced games, so unless Breath of the Wild 2, New Pokemon Snap, or Metroid Prime 4 are coming out this year, I doubt we'll get much (if any) focus on first party games.
Hey, never say never.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I still say sooner than later for something just because Nintendo can't be "ready, steady, go **** yourself" to retailers, especially for something like the 35th Super Mario anniversary. That's only two months away now and we already know Nintendo has plans for September because they planned a goofy huge Amiibo dump back in May. Last year we got Hero's presentation literally on the last day on July and people have already pointed out that Nintendo has a weird amount of online maintenance planned next week despite a gaping hole in Nintendo's release schedule. The last Direct was a buzzer beater too, being goofy late in the month and on the last full week of the month no less. Min-Min's presentation was also the last full week of June so this may be Nintendo's intention to change things up. Next week also has a full Monday through Friday so, as much as last night was like riding a slip-n-slide right into an elephant's ass, I don't think today is THE Direct. I feel like there's too much noise and too much being said that Nintendo literally has nothing for July. It's unbelievably frustrating but I think this is what happened.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
people have already pointed out that Nintendo has a weird amount of online maintenance planned next week despite a gaping hole in Nintendo's release schedule.
Oh right, I totally forgot about that. There's maintenance twice today, and once on the 27th, right?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Something I've seen a couple of other people say that I think is worth reiterating is that Nintendo took the time to announce this beforehand, which means they want people to know when it's happening and when to watch it. Perhaps that could be worth taking into account? Or maybe I'm just looking too hard for anything to be optimistic about haha
One word: Bakugan.

They finally decide to announce something, tell people to tune in after a major 1st party game and see what a popular indie company is working on. Yes, they clarified it was not first party but it still could be very interesting to see.

They pick a game like that to showcase and go into 20 minute discussion for it. A game that most comments towards it claim it will be in the Walmart bargain bin by day 3. Even the Treehouse people felt like they didn't care. This was a type of game that companies use to act as filler for their gaming line-up amongst their big name titles. Its literally the only thing confirmed this year for Nintendo. Meanwhile, a massive DLC for Mario Maker 2 is dropped out of no where and given little fanfare.

So, no, I don't expect this 'Direct' to be good just because they announced. I'm expecting it will be filled with forgettable filler 4th party licensed games like Ronald McDonald Bowling Adventure or Shrek Mario Kart rip-off.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

View attachment 279416
dont forget his sprite sheet includes red feet

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
I'm really starting to think the first in a series talk was very intentional and were going to be getting multiple of these micro directs over the next few weeks. Even if this one is a dud the new tab is still gone from the smash page so clearly something is happening sooner or later.
In all of the disappointment and confusion, I actually completely forgot about this. Does make me think another presentation will be coming in the next week or 2 if there isn't one this week

a random user

Smash Journeyman
at minimum I expect one nintiendo game, maybe the holliday title, because now that paper Mario is out, they have nothing left to wait for, whitch is a bad way to look for investors

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

MattX20

Smash Hero
With less than an hour to go, let's just hope we at least get something substantial out of all of this chaos

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
at minimum I expect one nintiendo game, maybe the holliday title, because now that paper Mario is out, they have nothing left to wait for, whitch is a bad way to look for investors
If that tittle is Breath of The Wild 2, that will be just fine for investors concidering how that will sell...

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm totally fine with Nintendo doing a 10 minute direct to get past the Bakugan and Kingdom Hearts crap just so we can have a future presentation that focuses on more 1st party titles and DLC for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom