• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
What if Geno gets revealed but it's just an image of him from the game and it's like

"Geno is the next fighter, stay tuned in the future for gameplay."

I'd kinda laugh. If it was just a jpeg of Geno for 15 seconds
After all the radio silence, I think people would lose their minds if Nintendo took literal **** and smeared it on a wall to spell stuff like Geno 4 Smash or Pikmin 4.

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
...Wait, what am I supposed to be seeing, here?
For context:
Nintendo did hint at Waluigi last year with a strange pic.
View attachment 278281
View attachment 278282
This screenshot is from the Nintendo Switch news channel. It was an article about the Zoom in/out feature, the picture is basically "Where's Wally (or Where's Waldo)".
The article was published on 5/27/2019, one or two weeks before E3 2019.
View attachment 278288
View attachment 278289

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I want waluigi, toad and Geno. That plus what we got is the ideal Mario roster

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
What if they reveal Geno like how spirits mode was first shown? And it turns out not to be much of a reveal at all. That would get a few giggles out of me

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but the stuff going on with Waluigi is related to Nintendo, where else Geno’s is from shady leakers...
Ok. I don’t want to go after you or anything. But I think I may have to pull out on my own... The List™!

While it does have some rumour stuff on it. There’s plenty more pointing towards Geno then “shady leaker” stuff. And even things related to Nintendo like the copyrighted song takedowns.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
ALRIGHT EVERYONE.
I'M TAKING DRASTIC ACTION.
I AM MAKING A DECLARATION!
ARE YOU READY? YOU AREN'T BUT I'LL TELL YOU ANYWAY

THIS SITUATION IS OFFICIALLY: RIDICULOUS
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

But yes, I agree. We need to wait for tomorrow and see for ourselves what's what.

(Not trying to break any rules by using images either. hopefully i used it in enough context to the conversation.)

Last edited:

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
Why would a Mario sports trademark mean Waluigi in smash? It would mean a new Mario sports game.
Because the trademark is simply called “Mario sports”...I don’t think it’s a game (if it is that’s a really bland name). It sounds more like a brand name. You know, like how we got the two series in smash called “Super Mario” and “Mario kart”.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Because the trademark is simply called “Mario sports”...I don’t think it’s a game (if it is that’s a really bland name). It sounds more like a brand name. You know, like how we got the two series in smash called “Super Mario” and “Mario kart”.
I still don't see how that translates to Waluigi in smash.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's a class 9 trademark, that means it's game related.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, there is a Mario Sports Mix game, so it might just be a trademark for a sequel? Could go either way.

...Or it's just a game. I don't know trademarks too well. Thank you, Nazyrus.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
But couldn't that just be them registering it as a series? I mean, like I said previously Mario Sports Mix is an actual game for 3ds and nearly all Mario spinoffs are sport games

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I just want to say that this is the most fun I've had before a Direct announcement: no matter what happens tomorrow (or not), that these last 6 months have been a fun ride thanks to you guys, so no matter what happens tomorrow, keep that spirit up!

RingJ5

Smash Ace
After all the radio silence, I think people would lose their minds if Nintendo took literal **** and smeared it on a wall to spell stuff like Geno 4 Smash or Pikmin 4.
The Direct happens. It has a bunch of insane reveals, and would be very, very well-received by the audience if it weren’t for one small thing...

The direct, official feed of the Direct is actually, of all things, a reaction video. See, Nintendo saw how popular those got, and someone had the idea to bring in two oft-forgotten old platforming mascots known for their constant quips to “host” it. So, one of the best Directs in history...

...is constantly being talked over by an announcer duo of Gex and Bubsy.

Last edited:

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
I still don't see how that translates to Waluigi in smash.
Waluigi might represent the Mario Sports brand. I just find it interesting that they announced a Mario tennis Aces tournament and then posted a Waluigi gif. And then a day later, a trademark got registered for Mario sports?

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
Actually, there is a Mario Sports Mix game, so it might just be a trademark for a sequel? Could go either way.

...Or it's just a game. I don't know trademarks too well. Thank you, Nazyrus.
That’s a really bland name for a Mario sport game, at least that one had mix in the name.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
Them announcing a tennis tournament probably would have been taken as a hint regardless of when it was announced so I wouldn't say that means much. There's practically a zilch percent chance of them actually making a tennis tourney just for the sole purpose of hinting at a smash character
What about Arms?

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
No guarantee of a direct announcement or even a direct tomorrow

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Waluigi might represent the Mario Sports brand. I just find it interesting that they announced a Mario tennis Aces tournament and then posted a Waluigi gif. And then a day later, a trademark got registered for Mario sports?
From what I'm gathering, since this is a trademark for a game, Waluigi is likely going to be a headliner for the new Mario Sports Mix game.

...He might also be in for Smash too.

Mario Sports is not the same thing as Golf/Tennis/Kart/Strikers either. It's an actual separate sub-series.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
I'm doing my Sunday night tumult right now while wondering if there is a direct coming and I'm not holding my breath really. But in no way will I tell you guys not to get excited or have hope. By all means. Geno wasn't on my lists but I would absolutely love to see him get in as a playable fighter just to vindicate a character that has receipts going back to Melee. And as someone who played SMRPG before he even got into Smash seriously, I understand the appeal of Geno and even looking at the game itself, it's a unique title that was made at the right place and time, akin to Chrono Trigger. You can't do any of those titles today. Geno and Mallow are the standout characters among many others and their absence since that game only makes them stand out more.

Especially now in the dark ages of Mario RPG's with Paper Mario in its sad state and Mario & Luigi is dead in the water. If Geno gets in, he will solely represent the Mario RPG's from their conception. Read what I said just now.

Geno will represent the Mario RPG's, something that Paper Mario and even Mario & Luigi could not.

Geno alone will show people the game that led to Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, two series that have taken influence from SMRPG, the latter even getting Geno himself as a cameo, which makes his absence in the remake baffling when the copyright from Square-Enix was still present. If Geno is in, he may singlehandedly save the future of Mario RPG's as we know it simply by being a character from the very first Mario RPG, the games and series that have been hamstrung and gutted completely.

Anything can happen, so keep your expectations in check. But don't lose hope.

Twirlerena

Smash Cadet
From what I'm gathering, since this is a trademark for a game, Waluigi is likely going to be a headliner for the new Mario Sports Mix game.

...He might also be in for Smash too.

Mario Sports is not the same thing as Golf/Tennis/Kart/Strikers either. It's an actual separate sub-series.
I think it’s a trademark for general Mario sport games, a sub series like you said.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Again, a trademark doesn´t mean anything

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Can we not have an evidence measuring contest with Waluigi? Waluigi could definitely happen and has some circumstantial evidence in his favor as well. Geno has accrued an impressive amount of circumstantial evidence including Nintendo referencing the character and game. Honestly we don't have to pay any mind to people who are clearly not here to legitimately talk about Geno. Just report, ignore, and move on.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it’s a trademark for general Mario sport games, a sub series like you said.
As noted, it's specifically for an actual game. The trademark has no relation in itself to Smash Bros.

Which doesn't mean Waluigi isn't coming, it just means it's not a direct hint in itself towards him. There's no doubt Nintendo is pouring him on all of the sudden, but being he's one of the most notable characters related to Sports in itself when it comes to Super Mario, it makes sense. This is why I think he's going to headline a new Mario Sports Mix game. He might also be announced for Smash Bros. during that time, in a similar way to how they introduced Isabelle, to further time both announcements together so New Horizons gets a lot of attention. This can certainly happen again.

I could see the same thing happening with a SMRPG re-release/remake and Geno. They did something similar with Hero(Luminary specifically) and Dragon Quest XI: Definitive Edition, namely using a part of Hero to help advertise it further. The announcements simply were not together, but there's no doubt Hero was partially advertising(that's not the entire character's information. I mean, even Banjo & Kazooie were used to advertise Xbox).

Griselda

Smash Lord
Alright, here me out on this one...

We get a new 3D Wario platformer, and it opens like this: Wario is going about his day as usual. We see him taking out the trash, and putting his sack of money into his vault (maybe he mixes them up and freaks out for a bit). Later in the evening, he's outside working on his bike, when a piece of paper floats along the wind and smacks him in the face. Grumbling, Wario, pulls it off and inspects it - Oh no! The famous and beloved Waluigi has been kidnapped, except Wario doesn't care. He's focused on the immense reward for rescuing him. The first couple levels involve getting to Waluigi to save him, and Wario beats up a weird boss who's guarding the cell. Wario grins, because now he's gonna be rich. But then Waluigi sheepishly reveals that there was no reward, and he's the one who made the reward notice himself and sent it out the window in the hopes of being rescued. Wario is angry, but Waluigi then reveals that he was kidnapped by [insert villain here], who has been hoarding all of the gold in the land for some sinister purpose - Waluigi got kidnapped when he tried to protect his wallet. The weird boss Wario beat was one of the villain's minions. Waluigi wants revenge, so he asks Wario if the two of them can travel to [insert villain here]'s castle together to lay a beating on them.
"Eh, fine, you can come with me. But you're only getting 1% of the gold once I steal it for myself." From then on, you can switch between Wario and Waluigi.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Can we not have an evidence measuring contest with Waluigi? Waluigi could definitely happen and has some circumstantial evidence in his favor as well. Geno has accrued an impressive amount of circumstantial evidence including Nintendo referencing the character and game. Honestly we don't have to pay any mind to people who are clearly not here to legitimately talk about Geno. Just report, ignore, and move on.
If you think it's bad now wait until the character count remaining for Fighter's Pass 2 goes down even more.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Hello. I was an active user in the K. Rool thread in 2018, went inactive after his confirmation, came back for the Banjo hype in 2019, and then went inactive again. I'm here a third time for the Geno hype. I don't have as much attachment to Geno as most here, only having finally completed SMRPG last year. But in every new batch of characters, Sakurai has added at least 1 "legacy fan pick". In Ultimate's base newcomers, that was Ridley and K. Rool. In Fighters Pass 1, that's of course Banjo & Kazooie. And as far as Fighters Pass 2, Geno's the only one that makes sense to me. There's Waluigi and Isaac I guess, but they're both Assist Trophies; not deconfirmed by any means, but Geno's only a spirit which we know can be upgraded thanks to Min Min.

Long story short, I think even if he's not FP7, Geno's chances of getting into the game have never been higher. On top of all the recent stuff, the man has dodged a Mii Costume deconfirmation 6 times now, 7 counting the base game. IMO, that's the best thing Geno's got going for him right now.

I've been lurking this thread for the past week, and I've seen lots of the same energy that persisted in the week before Banjo's reveal after Shinobi's tease. Sadly, this time there's nobody with as quite a solid a track record as Shinobi, but the sheer volume of potential things that have been said or have shown up in the past few days is definitely an eyebrow-raiser.

Less than an hour now until the supposed Direct announcement, if Kelios is to be trusted. Even if not, a Mini Direct tomorrow (or at the very least, a Direct announcement tomorrow) seems highly probable. But I could totally see the reality where absolutely nothing happens tomorrow and we all feel like clowns, but hey, at least that wouldn't mean any deconfirmation. Even if that happens, I'm still rooting for Geno and his supporters, as I feel like the character and his fanbase have gotten way more flak than they deserve these past few years.

One last thing: total coincidence maybe, but a Square character was both the second newcomer of Smash 4's DLC roster and the second character of Fighters Pass 1 (Cloud and Hero, respectively). Perhaps history will repeat itself?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
If you think it's bad now wait until the character count remaining for Fighter's Pass 2 goes down even more.
It's not affecting me really. I just see people reacting to it and there's really no need to. Even though I know people in the thread and how much we've had to put up with, outsiders are just going to use anything we do that's not totally positive and agreeable as ammunition to attack us more so there is really no point in addressing these kinds of outsiders at all (unless they're legitimately engaging in a conversation obviously).

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm doing my Sunday night tumult right now while wondering if there is a direct coming and I'm not holding my breath really. But in no way will I tell you guys not to get excited or have hope. By all means. Geno wasn't on my lists but I would absolutely love to see him get in as a playable fighter just to vindicate a character that has receipts going back to Melee. And as someone who played SMRPG before he even got into Smash seriously, I understand the appeal of Geno and even looking at the game itself, it's a unique title that was made at the right place and time, akin to Chrono Trigger. You can't do any of those titles today. Geno and Mallow are the standout characters among many others and their absence since that game only makes them stand out more.

Especially now in the dark ages of Mario RPG's with Paper Mario in its sad state and Mario & Luigi is dead in the water. If Geno gets in, he will solely represent the Mario RPG's from their conception. Read what I said just now.

Geno will represent the Mario RPG's, something that Paper Mario and even Mario & Luigi could not.

Geno alone will show people the game that led to Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, two series that have taken influence from SMRPG, the latter even getting Geno himself as a cameo, which makes his absence in the remake baffling when the copyright from Square-Enix was still present. If Geno is in, he may singlehandedly save the future of Mario RPG's as we know it simply by being a character from the very first Mario RPG, the games and series that have been hamstrung and gutted completely.

Anything can happen, so keep your expectations in check. But don't lose hope.
THANK YOU. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who uses this as a reason as to why Geno would make sense to include. Like yeah, Geno did only appear in one spin-off from 24 years ago, but people often forget just how important that one spin-off really was. SMRPG laid the foundation for not just the Mario RPG's, but storylines in Mario games in general. Geno would be the best representation for this as he is one of the most unique Mario characters ever created from the Mario RPG that started it all.

Geno isn't iconic, by any imagination, but just because a character isn't iconic, it does NOT mean that character isn't important, because in Geno's case, he is VERY important to Nintendo and even Square's history. I'm really hoping Geno is revealed soon so I can finally stop arguing with the detractors on here. That and I REALLY hope Geno's inevitable positive reception in the Smash community can make Nintendo open their eyes on what type of characters people want in a Mario RPG. Here's to hoping this long-awaited dream finally comes a reality!

GENO 4 SMASH! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom