• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skull Leader

Smash Cadet
All the lurkers coming out of the ether...

What if we are thinking about this Gamestop stuff in the wrong way?

Is it too far fetched to consider that this Gamestop business is neither a bungler's bungle or straight ignorance? What if it is an attempt by Sakurai and Reggie, knowing that Geno would be a big deal, to bait a large amount of the English audience into a non-reveal reveal?

I know the simple explanation for this is just Gamestop doesn't know what they're doing in the vein of "How do you do, fellow kids?". And as a whole for the video I would agree. There is just something about each individual part that, when broken down, does not pass the smell test.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
They just want something shown

like the others have

their crazy

their Geno Bros and the Pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, pain,

Pain.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
i just want some news at this point fellas

Is it too far fetched to consider that this Gamestop business is neither a bungler's bungle or straight ignorance? What if it is an attempt by Sakurai and Reggie, knowing that Geno would be a big deal, to bait a large amount of the English audience into a non-reveal reveal?
Reggie hasn't worked at Nintendo for over a year

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So to set something straight, you can confirm you had NOT heard anything about F-Zero until just the other day and that the "Dead Franchises" you had heard about coming back were NOT F-Zero?
Yes. As proof, here's me talking about it all the way back in January along with several other lingering rumors:

A lot of people have messaged me about this because they didn't want to go back and read all my posts to recap all the major rumors so I'll put them all in this post for quick reference:

All Smash rumors from my 4 contacts since November:

-All my contacts believe that 5 and 6 will be shown in the same presentation or at least very close together.

-Most of my contacts believe Cacomallow is real.

-Most of my contacts believe 5 will be one of the only Western characters added. Most agree on the company.

-Lots of disagreements about 6. Some say it's a bonus character, one says it's a full pack, complete with a stage, music, and 6 Mii costumes.

-For the Pack 6 rumors, character will be totally unrelated to all its content. The pack will include 4 Mii costumes from the same series and 2 indies with music from two totally different games. Supposedly it will come with a spirit board too, again, totally unrelated to the character.

-One absolutely crazy rumor from November that 5, 6, and 7 will all be revealed together. None of my contacts believe it.

-Based on rumors, the purpose of "Season 2" seems to be to knock out long time fan requests more than anything else.

-According to rumors, Indies and echoes are all but confirmed toast. One of the few things all my contacts agree on.

My personal predictions and theorycrafting on characters 5-10 can be found in the following two posts:

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2162#post-23763798

https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior.446378/page-2151#post-23759571

All the major lingering Nintendo rumors since July from my contacts:

-No less than 7 Nintendo Remakes/Remasters for 2020. None are supposedly Zelda, Kirby, DK, or Star Fox.
Sunshine HD is one of the rumored remasters but confidence in it being real is super low.

New hint I've been allowed to share: half this list is "dead" franchises. F-Zero isn't one of them; sorry...

-Tales announcements for Switch but nobody knows what or when.

-New retro Ninja Gaiden for Switch but, again, no one knows when.

-New 3D Mario for E3 that's not Odyssey 2 or Galaxy 3. Supposedly a totally new game not tied to past games.

-Soul Calibur for Switch but, again, who ****in' knows.

-Nintendo is supposedly going to try its damnest to make BoTW 2 2020.

-Prime 4 is having a ton of complications and will probably miss E3... Again...

-NEW: SNES game dump coming "soon." Games weren't shared but contact believed that at least two would have major announcements related to them. One of my personal guesses is SMRPG. Another hint they gave is that most would be games on the SNES Classic.

-NEW: GameXplain recently came out with another one of their notorious rumor videos and I'll say three of my contacts and I have heard these same rumors. Wii U ports incoming, three games heard the most, two are painfully obvious at this point and everyone has been asking about them forever. My contacts think they're finally happening.

-NEW: Two of my contacts say Nintendo will continue to be super "buddy buddy" with Microsoft. S***'s RARE Replay and King Zell's Masterchief Collection are heavily implied to be finally be happening this year, with much more confidence in the first.

-NEW: That game I teased for the Nindies/VGAs? It's probably finally happening. If you figure it out based on clues myself or others have left, I would advise not saying it out loud. Let it stay a surprise for the full impact it deserves.
I'll repeat that of the remake rumors, none are F-Zero and, like others have reported, the only Mario one heard is Sunshine HD (which most people think is false anyways). If a SMRPG Remake was coming and I knew about it, I'd probably tease the **** out of it.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know.

He is on the BoD at Gamestop, however.
If Reggie's secretly masterminding a leak for any major Nintendo reveal even though he's no longer working for Nintendo, it's going to be Mother 3.

In all seriousness, it was a poorly worded statement that quickly got a lot of attention through word of mouth (out of the 40 most recent videos on the Gamestop Youtube channel, that video likely has more views than the other 39 combined), and their comment just clarified that it was a slip-up or a poor choice of words and that they have no way of knowing who the remaining DLC characters are going to be. I see no reason not to believe that.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Reggie's secretly masterminding a leak for any major Nintendo reveal even though he's no longer working for Nintendo, it's going to be Mother 3.

In all seriousness, it was a poorly worded statement that quickly got a lot of attention through word of mouth (out of the 40 most recent videos on the Gamestop Youtube channel, that video likely has more views than the other 39 combined), and their comment just clarified that it was a slip-up or a poor choice of words and that they had no way of knowing who the remaining DLC characters are going to be. I see no reason not to believe that.
The fact they edited the comment so many times doesn't exactly help if they were being honest about it, but right now, it's dubious

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The fact they edited the comment so many times doesn't exactly help if they were being honest about it, but right now, it's dubious
I don't see how; I edit my comments all the time, and that doesn't make my posts dubious. (I edited the one that you quoted as you were quoting it) Given how many comments the video was getting, I figure the edits were made to clarify. (from what I recall, the original comment just said that it was poor choice of words referring to Geno being included as a spirit, and they later added that they don't have knowledge of who the DLC characters would be)

That edit could just be clarifying in case Geno gets in by sheer coincidence. I can't count the number of times that speculators have claimed that something like this is legitimate because one detail happened to match up to an announcement. (for a recent Smash example, people started thinking that a character from a series called Atelier was likely for Smash because a 4chan text leak mentioned a sequel in that series happening along with a character from it being announced for Smash, and that sequel was leaked through a ratings board later that day) In this case, it was probably just a coincidence, though sometimes, leakers seem to throw in extra details that are fake to go along with legitimate leaks.

Something like that happened with Devil May Cry 5, where one leak revealed a bunch of gameplay elements that hadn't been shown off, while also saying that Dante was in Smash and describing his trailer. This isn't quite the same thing, but I could see them wanting to get a statement out there so people don't start blaming them for leaking something when it was an honest mistake.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Goodness, the Smash stuff aged like milk lol. Pre-Byleth was a magical time
Yeah, 5 was a cluster ****. People didn't want to share information and Nintendo sat on Byleth extra hard. Me and most of my guys went with the tidbit that Bethesda was getting "something" and ran with it. I went in the direction of Skyrim because Power of Six theory very, very heavily implied that 5 was a medieval fantasy RPG swordsman, likely from a company that hasn't gotten a rep. Technically this wound up true. Fire Emblem is a medieval fantasy RPG, Byleth is a swordsman, and Three Houses was partially developed by Tecmo. I was just horribly off the character because I was so stuck on 5 being third party and took Sakurai's statements no "new" characters too literally.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
GameStop leaked Geno and is using available plausible deniability and cheeky comments about Fire Emblem to save their butts.
If I'm wrong, well I'll drink a whole glass of water.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
GameStop leaked Geno and is using available plausible deniability and cheeky comments about Fire Emblem to save their butts.
No, a glass would be too kind. Find a big, local water tank and drink it all. :troll:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't see how; I edit my comments all the time, and that doesn't make my posts dubious. (I edited the one that you quoted as you were quoting it) Given how many comments the video was getting, I figure the edits were made to clarify. (from what I recall, the original comment just said that it was poor choice of words referring to Geno being included as a spirit, and they later added that they don't have knowledge of who the DLC characters would be)

That edit could just be clarifying in case Geno gets in by sheer coincidence. I can't count the number of times that speculators have claimed that something like this is legitimate because one detail happened to match up to an announcement. (for a recent Smash example, people started thinking that a character from a series called Atelier was likely for Smash because a 4chan text leak mentioned a sequel in that series happening along with a character from it being announced for Smash, and that sequel was leaked through a ratings board later that day) In this case, it was probably just a coincidence, though sometimes, leakers seem to throw in extra details that are fake to go along with legitimate leaks.

Something like that happened with Devil May Cry 5, where one leak revealed a bunch of gameplay elements that hadn't been shown off, while also saying that Dante was in Smash and describing his trailer. This isn't quite the same thing, but I could see them wanting to get a statement out there so people don't start blaming them for leaking something when it was an honest mistake.
I would've thought the same way, but they also unpinned the comment and then privated it for a brief period. I don't deny it's possible it was a mistake, but they aren't helping when they do stuff like that

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
It's the fact that there's this air of panic to how they handled it:
--First the video went private for awhile
--Then they post their response
--Then they edit their response to reinforce "We totally don't know anything you don't know", even though it's a known fact that GameStop is aware of things like Nintendo Directs ahead of time with SKUs in advance and maintenance and what-not
--Then rather than leave it at that they try and double down and say "Uhhhhh, Fire Emblem is totally next, that's what we think

I don't doubt that this is, in all likelyhood, nothing but just a simple mistake and poor wording... but they've bungled their response so much that it seems more like really shoddy damage control

The more they try and over-compensate and over-explain the more it looks like they genuinely have something to hide

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Before people give up hope that we're gonna get a Direct announcement, consider the following:

We almost never get Monday Directs. It's always Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday; with a few Friday's. So this is already an outlier in terms of timing.

The announcements for Directs, if not shadowdropped, are usually 1-2 days beforehand. Monday announce for Tuesday, Tuesday for Wednesday, and Tuesday/Wednesday for Thursday. This means that if we're getting a Monday Direct, it's going to be announced on the weekend.

Albeit tied in with EVO (IIRC), we have have a Sunday Direct announcement before, so personally I would wait until Sunday comes and goes with no announcement before writing it off.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
It's the fact that there's this air of panic to how they handled it:
yeah, Id panic too if I worded something wrong and , knowing the internet, someone took it the wrong way. You have to edit **** in a hurry sometimes because word speads fast and bam, all of the sudden what you say means something it doesnt. And with the hurry, you get sloppy. I know this from experience lol

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, it is going to be a Mini-Direct on Monday, or an announcement for a Direct, for neither a Mini or General Direct have been done on Mondays, right?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I feel like this was probably already brought up but I did want to bring it to the fore front again. Because if GameStop truly did leak Geno (And that's a big IF; I don't think they did it intentionally) Then it would not have been the first time something like this has happened. In fact, this happened last year.

Janemba was apparently leaked for DBFZ last year on May 9th. Janemba wasn't revealed until August 3rd and released on August 8th. So Janemba was known three months in advance before he even was released.

In the description, they clarified their stance on the matter as well.

Clarification.png

I still find the Geno one to be nothing more than another coincidence but a lot going on with Geno and GameStop parallels with Janemba and Xbox.

I don't blame people for believing this could be the real deal but I still advise to hype responsibly. Geno is plagued with unfortunate coincidences. I am hoping this isn't chalked up to be another one.

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Another way to look at it is:
-If they are knowledgeable enough to make a sarcastic joke about wanting another Fire Emblem character (when the Smash fan base was clearly very irritated that we got Byleth), than they are knowledgeable enough to know that Geno was never truly “announced”.

Therefore, they are smart enough to know that “Geno was announced for Smash” would be taken out of context.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
yeah, Id panic too if I worded something wrong and , knowing the internet, someone took it the wrong way. You have to edit **** in a hurry sometimes because word speads fast and bam, all of the sudden what you say means something it doesnt. And with the hurry, you get sloppy. I know this from experience lol
It's also the fact that they took about an entire TWENTY-FOUR HOURS after it got noticed before they just... did what they did. There was no need to take down the video. There was no need to post and thing and edit it multiple times and post another comment. They can either say nothing, or take their time to make a statement. Instead, they trapped themselves into a corner by mentioning "Spirit" (they should have went with "Costume" because that *was* announced, and *was* a big deal that people freaked out over back in Smash 4 days) which just proves they either don't do research for videos or they slipped up. Incompetent mooks.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's also the fact that they took about an entire TWENTY-FOUR HOURS after it got noticed before they just... did what they did. There was no need to take down the video. There was no need to post and thing and edit it multiple times and post another comment. They can either say nothing, or take their time to make a statement. Instead, they trapped themselves into a corner by mentioning "Spirit" (they should have went with "Costume" because that *was* announced, and *was* a big deal that people freaked out over back in Smash 4 days) which just proves they either don't do research for videos or they slipped up. Incompetent mooks.
My only disclaimer to consider is the fact that these things go unnoticed. If you look at the average viewership for these videos is like 200-300 viewers. The irregular spike and journalist coverage probably made them notice it.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
My only disclaimer to consider is the fact that these things go unnoticed. If you look at the average viewership for these videos is like 200-300 viewers. The irregular spike and journalist coverage probably made them notice it.
Yeah it was like 500 when I saw it, and right at this very second, it's at 9.3k. My point still stands that regardless if this was no research or a slip-up, they could have gone about their damage control way better.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nintendo’s latest tweet:

Of course it means nothing/is maybe just because of his birthday being this month + a joke, but given the speculation and info we have I thought it was funny. I think it’d be cool if we got a double reveal for Geno and Waluigi.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I have to admit, it's VERY suspicious that the video was up for several days, yet within 24 hours of the Geno fanbase catching on, this whole cluster happened. When the people most interested in the video began to mobilize, so did they. Coincidence?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I have to admit, it's VERY suspicious that the video was up for several days, yet within 24 hours of the Geno fanbase catching on, this whole cluster happened. When the people most interested in the video began to mobilize, so did they. Coincidence?
Er, no, that's to be expected. They were gonna have to put out a statement to clarify, but the thing that I don't get is why was their clarification so bad? Even after the numerous edits, it still doesn't make sense; the spirit was never announced. It just reeks of damage control.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Probably - they only did this because a much larger amount of people were paying attention to that video than normal, and they didn't want to make it seem like they accidentally leaked information. I could see whoever's running that channel not being sure how to handle that, since I'm not sure how often that kind of thing happens with Gamestop videos and it suddenly caught the attention of a very large fanbase.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Another way to look at it is:
-If they are knowledgeable enough to make a sarcastic joke about wanting another Fire Emblem character (when the Smash fan base was clearly very irritated that we got Byleth), than they are knowledgeable enough to know that Geno was never truly “announced”.

Therefore, they are smart enough to know that “Geno was announced for Smash” would be taken out of context.
The thing is, we’re probably dealing with multiple people. Pamela Horton, the editor of the video, and the poor sod dealing with the fallout are probably all separate parties with different levels of Smash experience. So who knows.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Bummer that no announcement for a Direct has happened yet but this is a weird year, especially for Nintendo. Neither a weekend announcement nor a shadowdrop would surprise me at this point

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Damn. Internet gonna have to stop relying on cloudflare. That was scary as ****. It was like 99.999 percent of the internet went out.

D

Deleted member

I'm just gonna throw down my thought process on this GameStop business, you are free to disagree with me or point out flaws, as always.

Paper Mario was revealed in May, about a month before E3, and legend has it that it was done up to two months before launch. Most people assume it was going to be shown off as part of a celebration of Mario's 35th at E3.

Pamela Horton has, as far as anyone can tell, been in the hospital for cancer treatment virtually the entire month of July. Most assume this means she would not have had time to prep the room up and film this video in July, and that it was most likely filmed in June, if not before, given the state of TOK.

Nintendo, unlike their competitors, have failed to provide any of their planned E3 information outside of Paper Mario, with many insiders and leaks predicting a direct by now several times over, and seeming genuinely shocked that the dates have changed. At this point, I think it's safe to say that even Nintendo's advertising partners such as GameStop are completely out of the loop of what Nintendo's plans are - to be clear, I think there's a lot of reason to assume something should have been announced for/on both July 6 and July 14, and the second date there is one day after GameStop posted the video, which for all practical purposes, is supposed to be viewed in store more than online.

My best guess is that GameStop has prerecorded videos for Nintendo's content and is simply trying to wait to post them when the time comes... But possibly Pamela expected that Geno would have been revealed before her Paper Mario video went live, and GameStop had no idea that she had mentioned it in the Paper Mario video until the thing had blown up. They've already admitted that these guys are working from home, writing their own scripts and editing their own videos, but they likely are not the people uploading to GameStop's YouTube account.

... So yes, that would mean that I still believe that it's real, and that GameStop wanted to do some damage control, possibly because Nintendo noticed. A pinned comment would have sufficed, and I'm not concerned with the edits... so why did they make the video private and remove it from the playlist first? What does that solve? Nothing. It makes everything look more suspicious. They didn't have to make the video private to update the pinned comment or pin it in the first place.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
Well would you look at that
20200717_164612.jpg

As I said earlier, I am getting prettttty tired of these supposed "insiders" being vague on what's happening. Just tear the band-aid off if nothing is happening. Seriously, it's been over 300 days since the last proper Direct and I don't want to hope for something just for some vague "insiders" to pull a flippin' Sabi and toy with expectations.

Edit: Might be a stretch, but someone posted this in the comments
IMG_20200717_165739.jpg

Maybe a Direct on Wednesday? I don't know anymore...

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
We still can get an announcement on weekend for the Monday 20th. Or completely the announcement + Direct during the next week.

The Direct is coming anyway and the double reveal is almost guaranteed at this point, given all that we know from previous “E3” reveals.

Don’t lose hope, the double reveal for GENO and CRASH will happen. My predictions are for:

Geno, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Crash, Rayman, Dante, Hayabusa, Dixie and/or Eggman. If I could choose, just give me Geno and I would be even happier with another Zelda Rep. (Skull Kid would be perfection). Tails would work instead of Eggman also, but I can see perfectly happening EGGMAN as the Second Non Echo Rep. Of An Already Third Party Saga Represented. That would also create the first Heroes vs Villains sequence with probably the most beloved and recognizable Third Party franchise on Smash ever.

THOUGH, as you know, my only Real from the heart and Final Request in Smash (and gaming in general) is Geno For Smash. I’m done when that happens. Pretty sure he is happening. A 100% for me.

Best wishes from Chile :)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m thinking that Tiffany person was never an insider to begin with, and was only lucky to get one of Paper Mario’s trailers on one of her dates, her never mentioning Paper Mario at all iirc. None of the real insiders ever backed her up, so I think it’s safe to say we can just ignore her and focus on what others say. Tbh she was already sketchy anyway, and kinda acts like Sabi in a way with this weird teasing game...the other insiders don’t do this besides some silly hints not long before a reveal (and even then they don’t seem to do that either most of the time).

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
If we're still getting a direct on Monday, I think the announcement is gonna happen tomorrow. I know its weird for Nintendo to announce a direct during the weekend but the directs on a f***'in Monday that itself is weird since that almost never happens. Direct announcements also are usually announced a day or two beforehand so theres that. The wait may finally be over lads! Keeping my hopes and expectations lowered but its exciting!

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Let's be real here, nobody has backtracked at all and nobody even said it would be announced today, just that the direct is on Monday. Nintendo just might have thought that announcing a direct the same day they are releasing what they seem to be pushing as really their second major release this year that isn't a remake wasn't a good idea. NateDrake even said on Twitter through Direct-Feed Games after getting asked about it not getting announced that he thinks people need too much assurance. There's no reason to think it's not coming.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just for clarification, who is Shinobi?

Before I made my new account here I had been out of the loop on a lot that happened

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom