• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious with how the echo fighters impact the character select limit since they are coded to be stacked if desired. Are they less of a strain on the screen than 'permanent' slots?

And if a hardware update is needed to stop the game from crashing due to too many slots on the CSS, would that have to be a big undertaking by developers?
If I remember, currently, the Character Select Screen supports up to 91 slots (7 rows of 13). That's 90 characters + random. It would only be a software change to fix this; there probably just aren't rules for resizing the portraits at 92+.

I believe 90 is the same number as the WoL slots would also allow. While I would love it if they just went ahead and finished off the CSS until it's full at 90, I doubt we're getting anything more than the second pass fighters. If there was a third pass, I'd expect it to be slightly cheaper and not include stages. Which, still, if it gets us more characters than we otherwise would've I'll take it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I remember, currently, the Character Select Screen supports up to 91 slots (7 rows of 13). That's 90 characters + random. It would only be a software change to fix this; there probably just aren't rules for resizing the portraits at 92+.

I believe 90 is the same number as the WoL slots would also allow. While I would love it if they just went ahead and finished off the CSS until it's full at 90, I doubt we're getting anything more than the second pass fighters. If there was a third pass, I'd expect it to be slightly cheaper and not include stages. Which, still, if it gets us more characters than we otherwise would've I'll take it.
The four after the second pass could also be individual DLC like Piranha Plant

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

People said a second pass was unlikely too. I think 4 extra characters after the pass is completely reasonable.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I just realized that I never shared my final pre-June predictions. And I mean it when I say final, if I post another prediction before June's big reveal then I want you guys to slap me.

View attachment 272051

Min Min - There's no reason that it couldn't be her. She's easily ARMS's most popular character, she keeps the core of ARMS intact with very little changes, if it was Spring Man and/or Ribbon Girl they would've said so already, and the "Hero v2" idea is really dumb.

Geno - Come on, you've probably been in this thread hundreds of times. Do I really need to list off reasons for Geno?

Crash or Doomguy - It seems like a general consensus that we'll get more than one Western character in the pass, one of which will be a new company being added. It really boils down to these two, as their parent company's relationship to Nintendo is the strongest.
Personally I'm leaning heavily towards Doomguy because of Cacomallow and the success of Doom's efforts to be more well-known in Japan. I really haven't seen anything but flimsy hearsay about Crash.

Sol Badguy - Arc System Works became a really big industry player thanks to the critical reception of Dragon Ball FighterZ. So the shock from the Kunio-kun Spirit Event wasn't from Kunio-kun actually getting representation in Smash, but the fact that ArcSys was actually getting involved in Smash.
If this pass is gonna end up anything like our last one, I think Sol would be another Hero in terms of reasons for Nintendo to add them (promote GG Strive and build interest for the series on the Switch, represent a legacy series that isn't as popular with Smash fans, and give Sakurai something else to nerd out about.)

Rayman - Ubisoft's been really weird with Smash as of late. And I mean it, they've been REALLY weird. Even after all this time, there's still a significant lack of Rayman content that should be in that just... isn't. (Rayman's initial Spirit being alone after Smash 4 had him with Globox and Barbara, Rabbits + Mario Spirits, but no normal Rabbids Spirit.) The last link I shared is especially interesting because this is the most that's happened with Rayman since Brawlhalla, which was almost three years ago (****, we're getting old fast.)
Leading back into what I said with Doomguy/Crash, I think one of the two possible Western characters will be from a new partner. I think instead of Microsoft, like most of the people here think, the returning partner would be Ubisoft. Again, it's weird that they're as active as they have been with Smash lately and this mainly started with the AC and Rabbids Mii Costumes that showed up with Byleth, which tells me the most clearly that Nintendo and Ubisoft are inexplicably still working together on Smash.

Rex - ugh...
Yeah, I really don't want Rex. But with ARMS and Xenoblade 2 getting the same treatment in the beginning of Ultimate and Sakurai in interviews describing them in the same situation, it would be weird for ARMS to get more love from Nintendo than the more successful game. With the remake, Xenoblade is still one of Nintendo's biggest series right now, and just like Hero and Byleth (possibly Fighter 6 too if we get ARMS 2: Return of Jafar) I think they'd want to shill their game with a popular/expected Smash character.

I think a Guilty Gear character would be such an excellent pick. You want to talk about an anime sword fighter that everyone can get down behind, Sol Badguy is pretty much it. It's such an unexpected pick that I can totally get down behind.

That list is kind of what I want. I've gained a soft spot for Rex considering the whole Mii Costume thing and while Xenoblade isn't my thing, I want to make everyone who has been burned in the past as happy as possible. It's what a guy like Geno would really want honestly.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's hard to say what my picks would be beyond Geno since he's my most wanted. But if I had to list off on characters who may or may not have a chance beyond the ARMS pick (MinMin is my guess) and Geno: Rayman, Crash, Shantae, Bandana Waddle Dee, Dante or Phoenix Wright, Lloyd Irving, and Master Chief are the ones I'd keep my eyes on the most.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Before the thread turns into another hailstorm of prediction posts that are blatant copy-pastes from Fatman (all of which I accidentally started, my bad), I wanted to share the rest of the Star Piece scenes for that WIP SMRPG animation on Twitter since I saw someone else post the first part.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
Before the thread turns into another hailstorm of prediction posts that are blatant copy-pastes from Fatman (all of which I accidentally started, my bad), I wanted to share the rest of the Star Piece scenes for that WIP SMRPG animation on Twitter since I saw someone else post the first part.

1. I edited the post, I didn't want people looking at the same thing, and I wasn't aware they were similar, so, apologizes.
2. These are petty good

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Like, do I correct them? These are really enjoyable, but I feel the need to correct them that they combined the 4th and 5th pieces.
For anyone unaware: Star Piece 4 literally just sits on Star Hill (and is the purple piece shown). Star Piece 5 is held by Jonathan Jones and you fight Yaridovich over it (which was the end of the video, but the 5th star piece is the dark blue one).

Last edited:

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Like, do I correct them? These are really enjoyable, but I feel the need to correct them that they combined the 4th and 5th pieces.
For anyone unaware: Star Piece 4 literally just sits on Star Hill (and is the purple piece shown). Star Piece 5 is held by Jonathan Jones and you fight Yaridovich over it (which was the end of the video, but the 5th star piece is the dark blue one).
Star Piece 4 always seemed so anti-climactic to me. But as an adult, I had to really think about it and they put you through hell and back throughout that whole chapter. Boosters Tower > optional Booster boss fight > Grate Guy and Knife Guy > the run to Marrymore > Chef Torte > jumping back to the Castle for a min > And then searching for the star.

I feel like if they added another boss for Star piece 4, it would have been too much....

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Star Piece 4 always seemed so anti-climactic to me. But as an adult, I had to really think about it and they put you through hell and back throughout that whole chapter. Boosters Tower > optional Booster boss fight > Grate Guy and Knife Guy > the run to Marrymore > Chef Torte > jumping back to the Castle for a min > And then searching for the star.

I feel like if they added another boss for Star piece 4, it would have been too much....
Yeah the 4th piece was always really weird. Armageddon (the hardmode hack) added a boss battle just before it where you gotta fight 2 of the Axem Rangers (another location you had to fight 2 more of them as well) before you can claim it and I really liked that a lot better. In normal playthroughs, I have *maybe* 1 battle on Star Hill and it's such a shame because of how nice the place looks. A boss fight there (in the official release) would have been really cool.

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
It just occurred to me - is anybody here really savvy with making complicated point ranking systems? It would be cool for all of us to submit our predictions for FP2 and then have points assigned for who gets the characters correct as well as guessing the correct orders of the characters.

and of course, being the Geno thread, our star boy is worth double the amount of points as other characters :)

the prize could be: Bragging rights???
I am not savvy at anything ever, but I like this idea!

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
If there's any moment I really wanna relive, it's the moment during the September Direct where they announced more DLC would be added. I felt like that point in time was where Geno felt the most likely than any other moment.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
The animator said on Twitter that he has something planned for Star Hill.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah...it really looks like we won't have a direct, in June.

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1262461017642041349
Damnit, beat me to it... My theory about not only Nintendo nuking Directs for the foreseeable future but us getting weekly announcements throughout the summer seems to be right. If Nintendo's already making this big of a decision, I wouldn't be surprised if a fall Direct is off the table too unless they decide to do it later like in November this year.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly though I don't think this will change anything regarding the ARMS rep. I still suspect we could get an Sakurai presentation.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Damnit, beat me to it... My theory about not only Nintendo nuking Directs for the foreseeable future but us getting weekly announcements throughout the summer seems to be right. If Nintendo's already making this big of a decision, I wouldn't be surprised if a fall Direct is off the table too unless they decide to do it later like in November this year.
Yeah, you got this outcome right!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I would pay to see a Sakurai Presents livestream where he is at his office, but he wears a mask and informs the kiddies to always wear your mask when you go outside.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Any interesting developments i may have missed while i was gone, gentlemen?
(I honestly wouldn't mind not getting any directs until way later if that means getting Geno)
1589759169253.png

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Any interesting developments i may have missed while i was gone, gentlemen?
(I honestly wouldn't mind not getting any directs until way later if that means getting Geno)View attachment 272108
I'm not sure if you have seen, but Operation Starfall sent messages to Nintendo regarding Geno in Smash and Nintendo wrote back acknowledging the demand and wish that he made it in too. The post is on page 2710 if you wanna see it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai does his presentations alone.

Nintendo has multiple employees work together on one. In person.

It takes a lot less for a Sakurai presentation.

Don't forget that Directs involve multiple 3rd parties from time to time, so you need to make sure everything is done in an order they approve of too. It's a lot more complicated in comparison.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, with this confirmation, it seems the Smash presentation/"direct" is the only foreseeable one we're getting for a while in this case

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Sakurai does his presentations alone.

Nintendo has multiple employees work together on one. In person.

It takes a lot less for a Sakurai presentation.

Don't forget that Directs involve multiple 3rd parties from time to time, so you need to make sure everything is done in an order they approve of too. It's a lot more complicated in comparison.
Very true and I hope you're right. Nothing against Directs, but sometimes Directs can get a bit boring sometimes when the employees just read a script and have no emotion, whereas in Sakurai Presents livestreams, Sakurai is hilarious and lets his real self shine.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think a Guilty Gear character would be such an excellent pick. You want to talk about an anime sword fighter that everyone can get down behind, Sol Badguy is pretty much it. It's such an unexpected pick that I can totally get down behind.

That list is kind of what I want. I've gained a soft spot for Rex considering the whole Mii Costume thing and while Xenoblade isn't my thing, I want to make everyone who has been burned in the past as happy as possible. It's what a guy like Geno would really want honestly.
Why in the heck would Sol Badguy be the exception to the anime swordfighter hate? If anything he'd get more because he's relatively obscure and doesn't have much fan demand. I would think Lloyd would be the exception if anything since he's been a big fan request since Brawl.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Very true and I hope you're right. Nothing against Directs, but sometimes Directs can get a bit boring sometimes when the employees just read a script and have no emotion, whereas in Sakurai Presents livestreams, Sakurai is hilarious and lets his real self shine.
That's true too, but I do feel many of them are able to act well. Professional but fun.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, we'll know for sure what the Smash related videos, whether it be a "direct" or presentation style, in June. That's the only certainty we have right now

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Can I just take a moment and say how hilarious it is that people all over the internet think Geno is a "meme" request when this is the biggest character support thread on SmashBoards AND the second biggest board on the entire site? I think its crazy we have hit over 2000 pages, when most other character threads are lucky to even reach over a 100. That right their shows their are so much genuine supporters that just want to see this character again, and I will continue to support Geno for years to come, unless he is included in Volume 2, in which hooray. :)

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Why in the heck would Sol Badguy be the exception to the anime swordfighter hate? If anything he'd get more because he's relatively obscure and doesn't have much fan demand. I would think Lloyd would be the exception if anything since he's been a big fan request since Brawl.
1. Being from a 2D anime fighter as opposed to an RPG or mobile gacha, the playstyle would be FAR different from the feel of the Fire Emblem lords, Cloud, Hero, etc.

2. Sol doesn't really... fight like a swordfighter. He uses Fireseal/Junkyard Dog more like a club to compliment his punches.

3. Criticizing Sol for being an "anime swordfighter" would mean criticizing Daisuke Ishiwatari's work on Guilty Gear, which is actually forbidden by intergalactic law.

In all seriousness I would be super excited for Sol simply because of how amazing Guilty Gear itself is. The amount of love that Daisuke has put into this series over the decades is severely underrated and I really hope that with Smash that effort can shine through.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
I found a hilarious sprite animation based off Mario RPG I wanted to share. One instance of a curse word but that's it. This guy's Twitter has more parts
Edit: The video won't play on my end on this site for some reason, so just go on Twitter itself.

Holy ****, this is pure gold. It's like I'm back on Newgrounds circa 2008.

- Reveal+breakdown ("history" of ARMS plus the moveset of the character(s)) of the ARMS rep. If it's a Smash Direct, the breakdown will come in a Sakurai video following the direct, similar to how Banjo-Kazooie's Sakurai video followed the September direct last year.
^ Everyone can agree this is guaranteed, unless FP2 is suddenly not gonna have Sakurai breakdowns.

- Mii costume wave #6 alongside the release of the ARMS rep since it'll likely release the same week. If Cacodemon is revealed here, DG officially deconfirmed, but CacoMallow credibility way further up.
^ This too.

- ABG chance of a #7 reveal.
^ Most agree with this. Some think it's a "possibility", but honestly, it's all but officially confirmed. If they have bonus characters, it's even moreso a guarantee because 25% of their time is already gone and they'll only be showing off 1 of 6 FP characters, and then have bonuses on top of that? There's no way; that'd be even worse spread out than the Smash Directs were, leaving just Kencineroar at the end.

- Lower, but still possible chances of #8/at least 1 bonus outside of #7. If a Smash Direct, chances of this is way more likely. If a Sakurai video, not as high but still possible. I'm expecting 3+ in a Smash Direct and 2+ in a Sakurai video.
^ Some agree with this, but this is where people really start deviating. I'm on the side of likely 3+, but I totally get if people aren't expecting more than 2.

- Anything additional they wanted to show off, though I doubt they have much/anything since Sakurai did mention stuff past DLC characters was on hold due to 'rona.
^ I think most everyone will agree with this considering Sakurai himself did say stuff besides characters is pretty much on hold.
I think you're forgetting one thing we'll definitely see: our boy Goldman Saks teaching us some ancient Sumerian writing, to follow up on his teaching us how to count in Binary. :ultpacman:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
To be honest , the wait for the June Smash direct is getting more and more stressful...
This could possibly be our last shot.
Here's hoping that the end is soon...

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So I found this on Twitter and I have no idea if you guys heard about this, but apparently, Operation Starfall contacted Nintendo about seeing Geno in Smash and they actually responded back, basically proving they are aware of the requests and wouldn't mind seeing him included. Considering Volume 2 characters were planned shortly after this, I think its very possible Nintendo took these letters in to consideration, and is seriously considering Geno to be playable.
View attachment 272019
Idk how the heck I forgot about this (I remember seeing it awhile ago now that I've seen it again), but man I wish I could add this to The List™ somehow. While it's awesome that they got a letter back in response, it's dated for October of last year, which means this was after FP2 was already greenlit and if I had to guess, after it was finalized. Considering the Byleth video was recorded... November, right? There's no way it wouldn't be finalized by the time Sakurai is confirming 6 characters on camera.

Still, really awesome to see this again, but sadly means nothing when it comes to evidence.

Can I just take a moment and say how hilarious it is that people all over the internet think Geno is a "meme" request when this is the biggest character support thread on SmashBoards AND the second biggest board on the entire site? I think its crazy we have hit over 2000 pages, when most other character threads are lucky to even reach over a 100. That right their shows their are so much genuine supporters that just want to see this character again, and I will continue to support Geno for years to come, unless he is included in Volume 2, in which hooray. :)
Also this. If Nintendo actually takes a brief moment to see which character has the most pages, that'd be really good for us lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Back guess these won’t ever be long breaks but regardless looking forward to what’s to come let’s go Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Nintendo giving third parties the okay to reveal things whenever they want until further notice is weirdly good because it adds even more evidence to the statement that whatever third party characters were originally going to be shown at E3 are likely to be this summer anyways. For example, if 7 and 8 were planned to be shown this summer before Covid-19, it's more or less confirmed that they're still going to happen whether you support my friend's theory about third party companies deciding when third party characters are revealed or not. For example, 8 could literally just be a shadow drop if their respective company simply wants to do that.

D

Deleted member

That sounds fine and honestly if that’s the case we could get 7 soon after 6 which would be awesome. But that’s a guess we’ll see.

D

Deleted member

I'm imagining this situation in which Square Enix posts the Geno trailer to Twitter, and I miss it entirely because I don't follow them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom