• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
A quick question about CSS... Is it just me that would prefer the possibility of having it sorted franchise wise?
I prefer it franchise sorted as well. Not sure if the reasoning is the same, but for me, some characters just look awkward next to each other and it feels a bit messy at times. It's not a huge deal, but I do wish they gave you the option on how it should be sorted at least

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Granted..My comment about him being the face of spinoffs comes with the fact that whenever I talk about spinoffs, most people mention him. But you are right.
Yeah I get that I mean he's a mainstay in the spinoff games and is a popular character because Mario characters are generally great. Again my comment ended up really latching onto your one phrase and blowing it out of proportion along with speaking towards other people's comments instead of focusing on all your points, but I feel like it just needed to be said. Your input is still incredibly valuable and overall I agree with it. Hopefully that was evident despite my rant.

MattX20

Smash Hero
A quick reminder: we've only a little over 2 months left to wait for the ARMS reveal and see if the rumors of Geno being #7 are true. You just have to keep patient a while longer, and hopefully, our patience is rewarded

T2by4

Smash Lord
I think this is a simple case of misdirection because most people are expecting those two anyways. Neither will probably be the signature ARMS character because, if Season 2 was basically greenlit last E3, they probably had who they wanted to use in mind already.
So Min Min, got it.

DIY

Smash Apprentice
A quick reminder: we've only a little over 2 months left to wait for the ARMS reveal and see if the rumors of Geno being #7 are true. You just have to keep patient a while longer, and hopefully, our patience is rewarded
Honestly, ever since the Arms reveal, the more I think about Geno being the 77th fighter, the more it makes sense, especially due to the 35th anniversary Mario rumours and leaks recently. Those factors combined with the fact that we still don't have a Geno costume definitely make me lean towards this conclusion. Not to mention the previous leaks from months ago, such as the Mii costume leak, the Cacomallow leak, and the SMRPG songs getting taken down. All of these things give me more and more credence, especially as of late.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
So, this supposed "Mario All-Stars 2" is gonna be comprised of 3D game remasters with 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy?
You know what other Mario game just so happened to use the Z-axis before any of the others, albeit in an unconventional manner?
1585877970485.png

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Everything ends well for those who know how to wait

So Min Min, got it.
That is the Reason the character is more likely minmin

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
'Enjoy our newest ARMS fighter: Legs! He fights with his hair.'
But in all seriousness, if we got some new ARMS characters be it in more updates or a proper sequel, a character whose shtick is that he has extendo-legs instead of the arms would be great. I suppose they'd have to hand stand or something to move around though.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
https://www.inverse.com/gaming/smash-ultimate-fighter-pass-2-mario-35th-anniversary-leaks-dlc-6

Very nice article.

Some people sleep way too hard on Mario characters for DLC because...let me be blunt...
  • Paper Mario's flat nature could open up some interesting Mr. Game & Watch-style animations and attacks, and there's a lot of moves from all four games in the series that could be combined to create an interesting moveset.
God there is so much wrong with this statement. Obviously there's 5 games, the author is just objectively wrong on that, but what the author is saying about Paper Mario's defining thing being that "OH HE'S MADE OF PAPER, HE'S FLAT, GET IT!" is just a general problem with the series identity as a whole. Oh, we don't want to make an RPG, what do we do? Well, uh, it's called Paper Mario, and he's flat, so lets make a mediocre platformer based around a Mechanic where you can flip between 2D and 3D. which sounds cool on paper except nobody at Intelligent Systems knows how to make a good platformer. But then rather then learning from that they decide the only thing people liked about Super was the flipping mechanic BECAUSE OF A GODDAMN CLUB NINTENDO POLL THAT TOLD THEM APPARENTLY NOBODY LIKED THE STORY, EVEN THOUGH LITERALLY EVERYONE I KNOW WHO'S PLAYED SUPER SAID IT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT IT, so clearly what the series should be is a bunch of Paper based gimmicks like Stickers and Painting, complete with an awful looking white border on every character, yea, THAT'S WHAT PAPER MARIO IS.

Nobody wants Paper Mario in Smash because he could do a bunch of weird, paper based attacks, hell that's the MAIN reason I don't want Paper Mario as much as I might otherwise because I'm afraid Sakurai will do that instead of focusing on what people actually like about him, the hammer, the partners, not that HE'S MADE OF PAPER.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Nobody wants Paper Mario in Smash because he could do a bunch of weird, paper based attacks, hell that's the MAIN reason I don't want Paper Mario as much as I might otherwise because I'm afraid Sakurai will do that instead of focusing on what people actually like about him, the hammer, the partners, not that HE'S MADE OF PAPER.
Part of why the modern Paper Marios sucked anyway is BECAUSE they kept going on and on with the damn paper stuff. It was an *ART STYLE* in the original, and TTYD continued with that. The paper/anything-paper-related jokes and stuff also just got old as hell and it would really make me pissed off if that influenced a Paper Mario fighter in Smash. That would be the worst possible outcome.

(they also sucked because they weren't fun or even Paper Mario to begin with as well, obviously)

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
  • Paper Mario's flat nature could open up some interesting Mr. Game & Watch-style animations and attacks, and there's a lot of moves from all four games in the series that could be combined to create an interesting moveset.
God there is so much wrong with this statement. Obviously there's 5 games, the author is just objectively wrong on that, but what the author is saying about Paper Mario's defining thing being that "OH HE'S MADE OF PAPER, HE'S FLAT, GET IT!" is just a general problem with the series identity as a whole. Oh, we don't want to make an RPG, what do we do? Well, uh, it's called Paper Mario, and he's flat, so lets make a mediocre platformer based around a Mechanic where you can flip between 2D and 3D. which sounds cool on paper except nobody at Intelligent Systems knows how to make a good platformer. But then rather then learning from that they decide the only thing people liked about Super was the flipping mechanic BECAUSE OF A GODDAMN CLUB NINTENDO POLL THAT TOLD THEM APPARENTLY NOBODY LIKED THE STORY, EVEN THOUGH LITERALLY EVERYONE I KNOW WHO'S PLAYED SUPER SAID IT'S THE BEST THING ABOUT IT, so clearly what the series should be is a bunch of Paper based gimmicks like Stickers and Painting, complete with an awful looking white border on every character, yea, THAT'S WHAT PAPER MARIO IS.

Take it easy, it's just a drawing. :ultgnw:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Ribbon Girl is also 2 of those 3, she's just not an AT. I feel like some people overlook that.

Stop doing it. SMRPG came out just barely before the N64 launched in a time when the internet was barely a thing. ARMS came out when the switch was starved for games. This is a wildly unfair comparison.

Another reminder that RPGs in the West weren't all that popular and mainstream yet. SMRPG helped with that push as well by having the familiar Mario brand on it. Again though, too close to N64. Finally in case it isn't obvious, SMRPG is a spin-off title. Spin-offs also sell less than main series.

The fact that SMRPG sold what it did in a time when:
- RPGs aren't mainstream in the West
- N64 coming very shortly after it
- Cross-overs like this were rare
- The game wasn't even advertised in the West(?) I don't remember seeing any commercial (I've seen the Japanese one by now though)
- The era was PRE-INTERNET/pre-Information Age
kinda speaks volumes about the major success the game was.

PS: It's not like Nintendo or Square continues to talk about it, and outside of the Wii U, a console that did terrible, there's no commercially possible way to even buy the game at this point since Nintendo doesn't sell SNES games, have the Wii eShop, nor sells SNES Classics anymore. So it's not like SMRPG sales can go any higher while ARMS will definitely get more sales as a result of the character + ARMS now being pushed. I'd be willing to bet that a massive amount of people who have played this game, possibly even more people than have bought the game, emulated it at some point in their lives (especially people in PAL regions since they didn't have any other way to play the game for the longest time).
To add on top of that , Europe never got a physical release of SMRPG.

Remember that the sales number for virtual sales were never revealed (be it Wii or Wii U) , so yeah , the performance of SMRPG is incredible considering the context of the game's release.

---

Also , for Paper Mario , the only "lol funny paper" things they should do should be his TTYD paper transformations. Oh , and his 3D flip from SPM as a spot-dodge , roll , even if some people want it to be Vivian instead.

D

Deleted member

To add on top of that , Europe never got a physical release of SMRPG.

Remember that the sales number for virtual sales were never revealed (be it Wii or Wii U) , so yeah , the performance of SMRPG is incredible considering the context of the game's release.

---

Also , for Paper Mario , the only "lol funny paper" things they should do should be his TTYD paper transformations. Oh , and his 3D flip from SPM as a spot-dodge , roll , even if some people want it to be Vivian instead.
Not something that I thought about, but is Europe really a big enough factor (even now) to bother saying Super Mario RPG would have hit the 3 or 4 million worldwide mark?

Most of the Europeans I know were either repping a Sega console when they were kids, or playing some CRPG on their dad's Windows 3.1 machine.

Either way, for all of the haters, it's important to remember that JRPGs, and maybe even RPGs in general were not popular back in the 90s. The biggest audience for Nintendo was younger kids who may not have had the best vocabulary, so text heavy games just weren't popular.

As an anecdote, I remember buying Final Fantasy V when it released for the GBA, and pretty much every GBA release of Final Fantasy had printed on the back of the box "basic reading skills are required to fully enjoy this game"... That was in the early 2000s. I'm very lucky in the fact that when I first played Super Mario RPG at age six, not only was I ahead of the curve in my reading skills, but my mom was very active in accompanying me as I played games to clear up confusing words or situations. I think that unfortunately, then as it is now, parents were letting video games babysit their children and I know there were a lot of parenting magazines that actually gave reviews of the popular children's entertainment of the time, in terms of whether or not they were acceptable for your kids based on content - and that likely included how much they'd have to read.

If you don't believe me, let's consider Final Fantasy VI (or as almost everyone outside of Japan knew it - Final Fantasy III), undeniably one of, if not the most popular Final Fantasy nowadays - had sold 860,000 copies in the west by March 31, 2003 (source - page 27)... and that includes its release on the PS1, in which it was only part of the Anthology. You know... the PS1... the RPG machine. Where all the RPG fans were. This is a game that it feels like people cannot ****ing shut up about, and that's how bad it looks outside of Japan after being released on two consoles and counting its sales for nearly a god damned decade.

Did it beat Super Mario RPG's sales in Japan? Yes, by more than a million copies, but it came out near the middle of the SNES's life, and was the 6th title in a very popular franchise. Maybe Japanese buyers weren't ready to trust an RPG starring Mario, maybe they thought it'd be too easy or the story would be too simplistic in order to accommodate the Mario audience. Maybe players of RPGs weren't Mario fans. Maybe Japanese parents weren't about to buy their kids another ****ing video game so soon after Dragon Quest VI released in December of 1995 at the low low price of a little over $100 US. There's a lot to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

Smash Master
But in all seriousness, if we got some new ARMS characters be it in more updates or a proper sequel, a character whose shtick is that he has extendo-legs instead of the arms would be great. I suppose they'd have to hand stand or something to move around though.
Calling it now: Nintendo is going to announce ARMS 2 for "E3" along with the new gimmick that all characters now have stretchy legs to go with their arms. The chaos is real!

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Not something that I thought about, but is Europe really a big enough factor (even now) to bother saying Super Mario RPG would have hit the 3 or 4 million worldwide mark?

Most of the Europeans I know were either repping a Sega console when they were kids, or playing some CRPG on their dad's Windows 3.1 machine.
Well , to be transparent , I grew up with the Gamecube and Gameboy , so I can't say "back in my days , everyone owned a SNES !" lol.

While I admit there was a preference to SEGA , Nintendo was still super popular back then , the SEGA VS NINTENDO debate was extremely strong. So yeah , I think it's safe to say that Nintendo was still popular.

Granted , I'm french , and France has one of the biggest video playerbases , even if the US and Japan are bigger.
To give an idea , despise an economical crisis in 1992/6 for the video game market in France , in 1996 , the video game market generated 185 millions of euros in France alone. (Around 200 million dollars) I'm no data master in economics , but I think that with numbers like these , in France alone , I think that yes , SMRPG could have reached 3 millions units sold with a European release on top of US and Japan. However , 4 millions , probably not.

(Here's my source , it's a french wikipedia tho : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeu_vidéo_en_France#Historique )

But yeah , I think we can all agree that , considering the context of SMRPG release , the number of sales this game produced are impressive. (As you explained pretty well Serenade)

protoblues

Smash Cadet
I do think Paper Mario is an under-discussed possibility for the roster. He would absolutely eat Geno's lunch, and probably would come with a Geno deluxe costume. The case for him is obvious, especially with the rumors of a new Paper Mario game and the Mario Anniversary. And he would actually be pretty warmly received by fans -- he tends to rank close to Geno in fan polls. He would even be a pretty fun character to use.

But... I don't want this future. I want Geno to be in the next Paper Mario game and I want Paper Geno in Smash, dammit.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I do think Paper Mario is an under-discussed possibility for the roster. He would absolutely eat Geno's lunch, and probably would come with a Geno deluxe costume. The case for him is obvious, especially with the rumors of a new Paper Mario game and the Mario Anniversary. And he would actually be pretty warmly received by fans -- he tends to rank close to Geno in fan polls. He would even be a pretty fun character to use.

But... I don't want this future. I want Geno to be in the next Paper Mario game and I want Paper Geno in Smash, dammit.
Monkey’s paw curls, Geno starts showing up in Mario spinoffs but we get Rabbid Geno in Smash

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I don’t want to see Geno in the next Paper Mario game.

That would come off as extremely weird and shoehorny. Like they listened to fans but in the completely wrong way. A small cameo a la Superstar Saga? Fine. A major role? Lol no.

Add him to Smash and be done with it. Paper Mario should always have it’s own unique cast of characters. That’s one reason why the Flipnote leak bothered me. I don’t want TTYD partners in the next Paper Mario either, give me an all new set of characters comparable to them.

As far as Geno in other spinoffs, I wouldn’t mind a Mario Kart or Mario Tennis appearence AFTER keyword AFTER he gets into Smash. And maybe his hat and cape as a costume or something in Mario Odyssey 2 since the first game went wild with costume references.

other than that, it should be minimal. I’ll admit i’m far from even the biggest fan of SMRPG. It was a great starting point for the Mario RPG subset of games but it kind of pales in comparison to the non-****typaperfied Paper Mario games. Regardless, Geno has a cool design and powers, would be a great fit for Smash with his fan demand. Am I wrong for thinking that?

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Was there ever any discussion about Geno's speed?
I don't know. But he'd be pretty fast like in SMRPG.
I think that he'd be faster than his other party members, Mario, Peach, and Bowser. What I find weird is that in Smash, Bowser > Mario > Peach in terms of running speed but for speed in SMRPG, Peach > Mario > Bowser. So they could change it up a bit and have Geno possibly be slower than Bowser, but I doubt that would happen.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'm constantly on the fence about Geno showing up in Paper Mario. Like I want to see him back in any way but the point StarLight42 StarLight42 makes about seeing a fresh set of faces for the next PM is really something part of me agrees on. I think the only exception I have to that is Parakarry. He's too good to not show up anymore.

I guess the only way a Geno cameo would justify in Paper Mario is if they did an everyone is here kind of deal and allowed players to play with whoever they want from all Mario RPGs. (Including Luigi himself) But then again, we probably don't want a repeat of Paper Jam. Maybe it was a good thing that Geno wasn't included in that mess lol

Probably why we want Geno more so in Smash is because it is more likely than Square Enix and Nintendo actually doing anything with Mario again. (When it isn't SE deciding to shoe horn their own Final Fantasy mooks into a sports game over the characters we've been asking to see return. Will forever be upset about that)

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Yeah, I’m thinking this could be a possibility as well. They could be using this pass to promote games, so if the Paper Mario rumors are true I could see him happening.

Other ones I could see being added to promote other games are a Pokémon from the DLC, a character from Metroid Prime 4, and Doom Slayer to coincide with Doom Eternal’s Switch release. Maybe this pass won’t be as 3rd party heavy as the last one. Hopefully there’s still room for a fan favorite like Geno.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That would come off as extremely weird and shoehorny. Like they listened to fans but in the completely wrong way. A small cameo a la Superstar Saga? Fine. A major role? Lol no.

Add him to Smash and be done with it. Paper Mario should always have it’s own unique cast of characters. That’s one reason why the Flipnote leak bothered me. I don’t want TTYD partners in the next Paper Mario either, give me an all new set of characters comparable to them.

As far as Geno in other spinoffs, I wouldn’t mind a Mario Kart or Mario Tennis appearence AFTER keyword AFTER he gets into Smash. And maybe his hat and cape as a costume or something in Mario Odyssey 2 since the first game went wild with costume references.

other than that, it should be minimal. I’ll admit i’m far from even the biggest fan of SMRPG. It was a great starting point for the Mario RPG subset of games but it kind of pales in comparison to the non-****typaperfied Paper Mario games. Regardless, Geno has a cool design and powers, would be a great fit for Smash with his fan demand. Am I wrong for thinking that?
I feel like cameos are more shoehorned than an outright major role. I often think of Twink in Paper Mario as having been an excellent Geno candidate - he's a young star that doesn't have access or permission to possess a body but still wants to help. The reasoning behind my desire to see a major role if any probably comes from the fact that when a character gets created for any medium, I feel like they're wasted if they're not given some really convincing reason not to return in the sequel, especially when they get replaced by characters that do exactly the same thing.

Thousand Year Door did a pretty good job getting around that in my mind, by setting it in some far off land where totally nothing bad was going to happen and at least Goombella had a reason to know everything unlike unassuming local backwater goomba child. If Paper Mario 3 were to return to the Mushroom Kingdom, it would feel pretty lame to not get at least one or two old partners back - Kooper feels like the kind of guy Mario could come knocking for and he'd be ready for action.

It's like... no one would be angry at the opportunity to have Peach, Bowser, or Luigi in the party... why be angry that other characters get to return, too?

Droodle

Smash Lord
I think that he'd be faster than his other party members, Mario, Peach, and Bowser. What I find weird is that in Smash, Bowser > Mario > Peach in terms of running speed but for speed in SMRPG, Peach > Mario > Bowser. So they could change it up a bit and have Geno possibly be slower than Bowser, but I doubt that would happen.
People are in for a rude awakening when they realize stats in the character's games don't translate to Smash at all, unless it is a core part of the character (like Sonic).

For example, Byleth is one of the fastest characters in their own games, they are pretty much good all across the board in terms of FE. In Smash they got in with pretty slow speed, to accommodate for their play style. Ike is literally one of the fastest and strongest characters in his game, and yet only the "strength" part of his kit got translated to Smash. Roy is garbage in terms of stats in his own game, but in Ultimate he's pretty fast and hits hard. In terms of other JRPG's, base shulk isn't slow in Xenoblade like he is in Smash, the Heroes would be top tier if they had their actual stats from DQ.

Geno would primarily be a zoner like Megaman in my opinion, so expect a similar speed as him; his projectiles would likely be weaker then Megaman, with timed hits making them a bit stronger (if they are a mechanic). Otherwise they could make him similar to ness and Lucas AKA a bit faster, but then he'd have something else butchered. A fast and ridiculously strong zoner is unlikely to happen, and would be a balancing nightmare. If it does happen, expect him to get K. Rooled due to complaints.

I know some people predict that Geno will be this top tier threat, just because he's busted in SMRPG; but the reality is that Zoner-type character's rarely ever become top tier. It doesn't really translate to a healthy playstyle in Smash. Expect him to be in between the ball-park of Byleth/Banjo-Megaman AKA above average to pretty good, but nothing amazing.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's really based on how the engine compliments the moveset. Because out of the shield options were so good and all the bizarre stuff you can do to a fast faller in Brawl, characters like Fox suffered from it immensely while still being considered a threat in every other game.

I don't particularly see Geno as game breaking character. I have my idea of him being this Sheik/Robin hybrid which I don't see will be that great in an ultra competitive environment.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
With all this talk about 3D mario games being remade, it really is a shame that SMRPG isn't in the mix. I mean its kind of the first game to use 3D models as sprites in a similar way to Donkey Kong Country I believe. And as I see it, stands to benefit the most from the graphical upgrade.

Personally I just feel like Galaxy is a bit of a waste, its not like the visuals are super outdated compared to what Nintendo is doing now on the switch.
Super Mario 64 is a good choice, but if they don't add multiplayer I'd be a little disappointed. Many fan games, as well as the DS version already proved it could be handled quite well.

D

Deleted member

If people seriously aren't considering Fox a threat in Ultimate, they have a lot to learn.

Something to keep in mind is that running speed isn't everything, and SMRPG's archetypes for the characters is kept, aside from Peach. Bowser has slower attacks that hit like a truck while Mario is a generalist (who'll kill earlier and easier than Bowser because for some reason that most basic concept of balance is lost on Mario) who's a good middle ground character that doesn't do great at any one thing but doesn't suck at anything either. Obviously because being team healer doesn't translate well to a fighting game, they decided to make Peach a nightmare combo demon from the depths of hell.

Geno doesn't necessarily have to be fast on his feet (I mean, Mario and Mallow caught up to him in the woods despite being very far behind him), but I feel like he could be true to his speed to act in battle by being given fast move startup.

MattX20

Smash Hero
With all this talk about 3D mario games being remade, it really is a shame that SMRPG isn't in the mix. I mean its kind of the first game to use 3D models as sprites in a similar way to Donkey Kong Country I believe. And as I see it, stands to benefit the most from the graphical upgrade.

Personally I just feel like Galaxy is a bit of a waste, its not like the visuals are super outdated compared to what Nintendo is doing now on the switch.
Super Mario 64 is a good choice, but if they don't add multiplayer I'd be a little disappointed. Many fan games, as well as the DS version already proved it could be handled quite well.
For all we know, Super Mario RPG being remade is a possibility. Recall that Alpha Dream was working on one last title.

Edit, whoops a double post occurred.

Last edited:

protoblues

Smash Cadet
Monkey’s paw curls, Geno starts showing up in Mario spinoffs but we get Rabbid Geno in Smash
I... accept. ride or die

Can't be wrong for having an opinion. I'm happy to have support for Geno from people who aren't huge fans of Super Mario RPG even if I don't really understand it.

I've pointed out a few times on here that every DLC inclusion creates value for the IP holder because that character gets more exposure and what is essentially a huge endorsement. Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I think someone needs to be able to use Geno's IP and make use of that value for his inclusion in Smash to make sense. I don't think "add him to smash and be done with it" would get the greenlight at Nintendo HQ. And yes, I think Geno in Paper Mario would be awesome, but I also think Geno needs to have a role somewhere if he's coming to Smash and PM is the best fit.

Yeah, I’m thinking this could be a possibility as well. They could be using this pass to promote games, so if the Paper Mario rumors are true I could see him happening.

Other ones I could see being added to promote other games are a Pokémon from the DLC, a character from Metroid Prime 4, and Doom Slayer to coincide with Doom Eternal’s Switch release. Maybe this pass won’t be as 3rd party heavy as the last one. Hopefully there’s still room for a fan favorite like Geno.
I want to believe we won't get Urshifu. I want to believe this but sometimes my faith is tested.

I think MP4 might be a trainwreck. I'm less keen on Doomguy's chances independently of Cacomallow because I have never seen him appear in JP poll results, but I'd be happy if only because it means Cacomallow is probably real and Geno is probably real, too.

The reasoning behind my desire to see a major role if any probably comes from the fact that when a character gets created for any medium, I feel like they're wasted if they're not given some really convincing reason not to return in the sequel, especially when they get replaced by characters that do exactly the same thing.
Doubly true I think if a character is being added as Smash DLC. Every DLC character we've seen has either been in a current-gen game, is going to be in a game again, or both. But not Geno? Nintendo is going to spend months of dev time to make this character and enshrine him in the video game hall of fame and then back in the box he goes? Doesn't make sense to me.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Was there ever any discussion about Geno's speed?
Not really. Everyone just sort of agreed that he'd be a quick boy given how speedy he is in SMRPG. In my moveset post I suggested he'd only be slightly above average.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Pandering is almost always a bad thing when employed like that. Thankfully the Paper Mario games, even the ones that suck, have done this right, with a few party members from the N64 game cameoing in TTYD and nothing else.

I'm constantly on the fence about Geno showing up in Paper Mario. Like I want to see him back in any way but the point StarLight42 StarLight42 makes about seeing a fresh set of faces for the next PM is really something part of me agrees on. I think the only exception I have to that is Parakarry. He's too good to not show up anymore.

I guess the only way a Geno cameo would justify in Paper Mario is if they did an everyone is here kind of deal and allowed players to play with whoever they want from all Mario RPGs. (Including Luigi himself) But then again, we probably don't want a repeat of Paper Jam. Maybe it was a good thing that Geno wasn't included in that mess lol

Probably why we want Geno more so in Smash is because it is more likely than Square Enix and Nintendo actually doing anything with Mario again. (When it isn't SE deciding to shoe horn their own Final Fantasy mooks into a sports game over the characters we've been asking to see return. Will forever be upset about that)
I think Geno could work well in a new Paper Mario game if they made him an optional party member you get from some really intense challenge, like Pit of 100 Trials or something that you can access early on in the game. You can use him for the rest of your quest, and when you start a new game or enter new game plus you can have him tag along for the entire duration.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I've always seen Geno like Young Link, who can either rush you down with his good combo game or zone you with his projectiles out depending on the matchup or what playstyle you prefer, but I think that's just me trying to be hopeful because of my personal preferences.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
People are in for a rude awakening when they realize stats in the character's games don't translate to Smash at all, unless it is a core part of the character (like Sonic).

For example, Byleth is one of the fastest characters in their own games, they are pretty much good all across the board in terms of FE. In Smash they got in with pretty slow speed, to accommodate for their play style. Ike is literally one of the fastest and strongest characters in his game, and yet only the "strength" part of his kit got translated to Smash. Roy is garbage in terms of stats in his own game, but in Ultimate he's pretty fast and hits hard. In terms of other JRPG's, base shulk isn't slow in Xenoblade like he is in Smash, the Heroes would be top tier if they had their actual stats from DQ.

Geno would primarily be a zoner like Megaman in my opinion, so expect a similar speed as him; his projectiles would likely be weaker then Megaman, with timed hits making them a bit stronger (if they are a mechanic). Otherwise they could make him similar to ness and Lucas AKA a bit faster, but then he'd have something else butchered. A fast and ridiculously strong zoner is unlikely to happen, and would be a balancing nightmare. If it does happen, expect him to get K. Rooled due to complaints.

I know some people predict that Geno will be this top tier threat, just because he's busted in SMRPG; but the reality is that Zoner-type character's rarely ever become top tier. It doesn't really translate to a healthy playstyle in Smash. Expect him to be in between the ball-park of Byleth/Banjo-Megaman AKA above average to pretty good, but nothing amazing.
While I definitely get your point, I'd like to point out that both Young Link and Megaman are considered high tier and combine high speed with a good projectile game. The trade off is a relative lack of power, which is a fair balance in exchange for such dominant stage control. Snake and ROB, on the other hand, are considered top tier zoners but favor power/weight over speed. In either case, you can't just write a character off for being a zoner and I feel it might be a little too early to downplay Geno's potential before we've even seen what he can do.

protoblues

Smash Cadet
I think Geno could work well in a new Paper Mario game if they made him an optional party member you get from some really intense challenge, like Pit of 100 Trials or something that you can access early on in the game. You can use him for the rest of your quest, and when you start a new game or enter new game plus you can have him tag along for the entire duration.
That whole mode could be DLC where Geno joins as a partner and then permanently joins the party as a prize for winning. This would work: dev time is not too costly, DLC profit could go directly to SE, everyone gets enough money to justify Geno's inclusion.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Min Min, got it.
Probably... Currently working alone in an empty office building and it kind of occurred to me that ARMS is kind of like Pokemon in that it really doesn't have a true lead character. Pokemon's characters are largely chosen because of popularity and I suppose ARMS wouldn't have to be any different, especially since it has only one game and the story mode is super bare bones. For the longest time I was like "well, it would likely be Springman or Ribbongirl, right" and then came to realize that Pikachu and Jigglypuff basically became the signature Pokemon Smash characters because of their popularity OUTSIDE the games like the manga and anime. In that sense, ARMS is in a similar situation because Springman and Ribbongirl aren't truly the main characters, just the ones that the developers kind of pushed to the front, similar to how in Pokemon the developers make an honest attempt to make at least one of the starters super popular. That said, Min-Min could be compared to Pikachu or Jigglypuff in that she wasn't intended to be a lead but became a huge fan favorite anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom