• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I was thinking about this the other day...

What would folks reactions be if after seeing geno’s popularity in smash, square started to use the character a lot more....a whole lot more.

Similar to how every FF game has a character named cid (whether a big role or not) or how Chocobo’s, Bombs, ifrit, or Flan always appear in some form, Geno starts to appear in every square enix game. Playable in some(provided it is a more cartoony or old school rpg), or as a noticeable cameo in others. And even appears in non-ff games like KH, or other square games like tomb raider, to the point where it’s not IF geno is in the game, but where.

I personally don’t know how I’d feel...Geno is after all a mario character, I’d rather see him appear more in mario games as a cameo or actual playable character...

...on the other it would ensure he has a lasting legacy as a character that never gets forgotten similar to how we always have a cid in ff games.
Gonna be real with y'all here. I would love this and here's why: even if Nintendo got the rights to Geno they don't know what in the world they are doing with a majority of their characters as is. Look at Mario Kart and other spinoffs the characters people want to see from Marioverse rarely get a chance to really shine. Even the really great games like Strikers have some...odd character choices. So I say if SE actually want to use him? Let them plaster that star boy in every little nook and cranny they please cuz at least he would actually be used for something.

I won't buy the next Smash game if it's not directed by Sakurai. I can't get a new Smash game without Sakurai, he's been here since the start of it on the Nintendo 64 and it most likely won't have the same spirit if he's absent from directing and development. I'm most certain that he will make another one when the time comes in the next 8-9 years, as he said we probably won't see another one until ten years after Ultimate. And if Nintendo wanted to make another Smash game without him, who would develop it? HAL Laboratory, Game Arts, Sora Ltd. and Bandai Namco Studios still, or Nintendo themselves?

Why don't I trust another director to reboot or continue Super Smash Brothers? Well, remember what happened to Halo after Bungie stopped making Halo games and the Halo franchise went to 343 Industries? It seriously went downhill. Halo Infinite is probably 343's last chance, and if they **** up with this, that's going to look bad. Yes, I get it, they're from two separate companies and consoles, but Halo became a cash grab when it came to Halo 5, and 343 was scum enough to false advertise the upcoming campaign for Halo 5. Luckily Nintendo isn't bad enough to rush development or false advertise like 343 did, so that's one positive thing if it comes to somebody else or Nintendo directing future Smash games, but I still won't get it if Sakurai is absent from directing and/or developing it.
I get the perspective here and to add on to your worries I'd argue your second paragraph is not entirely true. Thankfully they're taking the time to lovingly tend to Metroid Prime 4 but we've seen how Pokemon gets rushed to an abhorrent degree and even Ultimate had characters that got pushed back due to time constraints. Nintendo definitely does rush games even Smash, although I will say that they likely would take their time to allow a new team and dev warm up to their prized series. I think there are actually some really cool ways they could shake things up and improve many things and make up for roster cuts so long as some third party characters like Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, etc. return. I'd be down for new hands working on Smash but I certainly would still hold them to an incredibly high standard.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Honestly I feel like part of the reason there is such a large fan demand for him in Smash is because people hope that it leads to Geno being included in future projects. Deep down we love the character and want him to be a reoccurring character in Nintendo/Square games. He will never be the star of his own game but he has more depth and intrigue associated with him than 90% of the characters in the Mario universe.
I mean, that's partially why I want characters in Smash, but moreso that they're celebrated and recognized by Nintendo as well. A small tweet on the 22nd anniversary is one thing, but *putting a character in Smash* is quite relevant and big for the character. Then there's the obvious bonus of the character being in Smash :)

But yeah, while I do love Smash, it's not like my favorite game or anything (that honor goes to both SMRPG and Undertale), and I want characters like Geno in it more for the former than the latter thing. Dunno if that makes me weird or an asshat for wanting my character in a game I don't play like crazy, but yeah, that's just how I am.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Ya know, this has been a nice break from the usual drought. We actually had something to speculate on for the first time in a long while.

Of course, in the end, it will mean nothing, but at least it was fun to discuss.

Yes, this is SPECULATION all you others that lurk! We taking this 100% to mean Geno in Smash? No. Is it fun to talk about? Yeah.

T2by4

Smash Lord
>Gets mii costumed in Sm4sh even though Sakurai wanted him in Brawl
>Hasn't been used at ALL by Square even though he has demand by fans to return
>Last place in both KFAD tourneys
>Only Mod for Smash with a playable Geno is being taken down

Geno truly is meant to suffer, isn't he? When will the pain end?

Screenshot_20200315-223821_YouTube.jpg

Heoj

Smash Ace
>Gets mii costumed in Sm4sh even though Sakurai wanted him in Brawl
>Hasn't been used at ALL by Square even though he has demand by fans to return
>Last place in both KFAD tourneys
>Only Mod for Smash with a playable Geno is being taken down

Geno truly is meant to suffer, isn't he? When will the pain end?

View attachment 265870
Im not sure about the first kfad but he didnt place last in the second one. He did lose both of his matches but he did better than a couple of contestants.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Guys, we've gone another week. Back to the weekdays, which means it's time to play "watch NoA's twitter for Direct announcements til Wednesday" time, wheeeee!

I know the rumor is that it's next week but man, I really, really hope it's not. If we truly get a Nindies this week, I'm gonna be so pissed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think the difference with the kongs is they quite literally were designed and named as relatives of dk. Would have been pretty difficult for rare to keep hold of em in the first place.

K.rool and the Kremlins maybe they had a better shot at keeping, but even then it was unlikely they’d ever get to keep anything they created for the dk universe.

Geno and the original content for smrpg probably was also negotiated on up front, and square made it clear they keep the rights to everything original they created.

Rare when expanding the dk universe probably was never expecting to leave Nintendo so they didn’t think about negotiating for keeping the rights to their original stuff in the dk universe.
The only thing Rare owned that was a DK creation of theirs was the DK64 characters and music they owned nothing else they created for DK. Nintendo owned Banjo-Kazooie and other original Rare properties when Rare was with the company. It certainly was a weird mix of who had the rights to what during their relationship.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Well, the indie thing was right. If the normal direct is not next week, I will be both laughing and crying at the same time.

Joking aside, New Horizons will most likely distract me from this agony (it will be my first Animal Crossing game), especially with Spring Break and this virus situation.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Reeeeeeeeeee... ffs...

Look what turned up. Looks like that Jeff guy may be right after all.
So this could mean a direct on the 26th...
About GODDAMN TIME!
Weren't all the leaks saying the 18th not the 17th? Doesn't this deconfirm them all?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I'm actually pretty excited for the Indie direct. Seeing as how I'm not made of money there may be some nice cheap games that appeal to me. I'm always backlogged on games I want tho due to funds. I did see that Alien Hominid Invasion is coming to Switch and I never actually got to play Alien Hominid so that's really cool. Hopefully we can get Battle Block Theater and Pit People too. Those are the kind of games I purchase more than once. I think I've had Castle Crashers on 3 different systems now that it's on Switch. Hopefully some new unexpected stuff too. What do you guys think the chances of an Indie character reveal for Smash is? Honestly I think its incredibly unlikely but it would be real swell and there are a lot of excellent options. Obviously I'll be holding off on any purchases until I see a general direct tho. What kinds of Indie announcements are you hoping to see?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Look what turned up. Looks like that Jeff guy may be right after all.
I guess there is time for one more week of waiting at the end of things

Weren't all the leaks saying the 18th not the 17th? Doesn't this deconfirm them all?
There is a difference between one day and an entire week

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, the indie thing was right. If the normal direct is not next week, I will be both laughing and crying at the same time.
Well Zippo got the Animal Crossing Direct date on the dot and he said the general Direct was coming the week after and it didn't show up. I think Nintendo delayed it just to make Zippo look like he wasn't credible and they probably delay the next date later this month too just to make the other guy not look credible either.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Well Zippo got the Animal Crossing Direct date on the dot and he said the general Direct was coming the week after and it didn't show up. I think Nintendo delayed it just to make Zippo look like he wasn't credible and they probably delay the next date later this month too just to make the other guy not look credible either.
I mean, the other guy said the 18th, not the 17th for the Indies thing, so he's already incorrect.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
that would be hilarious is Nintendo did that

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
D

Deleted member

I don't believe there's a provable instance in history of Nintendo doing something so extreme to make a leaker look like a stooge. If Zippo's information was bad, it was bad, plain and simple. We often talk about leakbait and whether or not Nintendo is employing it more nowadays, and I think that since we're seeing people get one thing correct followed by something that turns out to be absolutely wrong is proof that they are indeed using leakbait tactics more often. It remains to be seen if this most recent guy has been leakbaited. To me, to think that Nintendo would move their big advertisements around just to dunk on people on the internet is a bit out there.

Here comes shantae for smash announced at the end of the indie direct lets go!
This is the Geno thread.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Hard to hype for anything in an indies direct unless you've been praying for that one indie you've wanted forever to become portable (and that's SMRPG for me, but that's obviously not an indie).

This news is as depressing as last week, as in having no news.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So the indie direct was confirmed. Well, if the general direct is indeed next week, it's all smooth sailing comparatively afterwards.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do wish I have King Crimson to view time and skip it when needed.
But, why spoil yourself then just waiting for a little longer?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I don't believe there's a provable instance in history of Nintendo doing something so extreme to make a leaker look like a stooge. If Zippo's information was bad, it was bad, plain and simple. We often talk about leakbait and whether or not Nintendo is employing it more nowadays, and I think that since we're seeing people get one thing correct followed by something that turns out to be absolutely wrong is proof that they are indeed using leakbait tactics more often. It remains to be seen if this most recent guy has been leakbaited. To me, to think that Nintendo would move their big advertisements around just to dunk on people on the internet is a bit out there.
I mean, when the direct *finally* comes, if most/all of his list was accurate, that would be a lot more definitive. It's entirely possible the direct was scheduled for that week but got delayed for who the hell knows what reason, and each time they delayed it, they had to keep changing the direct because if a game was, for example, coming out in February, they'd have to change it to "Available now!" instead of telling us the release date.

If Byleth's reveal isn't proof that it was 100% expected to be part of a direct and therefore proves this direct has been delayed (likely numerous times), I don't know what would be proof anymore.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
With the Indie World Showcase set for tomorrow, what if... we do actually get blindsided and Nintendo drops the reveal for Challenger Pack 6, it being an indie game character? I know, I know. Chances of that happening are VERY low, but still the idea shouldn't be discarded. As for the general Direct, if we're getting the Indie direct tomorrow (a Tuesday)... we could even get the official general Direct on Thursday (March 19th). In regards to next week however (if we don't get the general Direct this week), then the 26th it is (hopefully :nifty:).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
With the Indie World Showcase set for tomorrow, what if... we do actually get blindsided and Nintendo drops the reveal for Challenger Pack 6, it being an indie game character? I know, I know. Chances of that happening are VERY low, but still the idea shouldn't be discarded. As for the general Direct, if we're getting the Indie direct tomorrow (a Tuesday)... we could even get the official general Direct on Thursday (March 19th). In regards to next week however (if we don't get the general Direct this week), then the 26th it is (hopefully :nifty:).
Never gonna happen. They have these indi-directs in order to get the indie games their time to shine. Would the indies be in the general directs, (outside of the likes of Cuphead) they would be overshadowed by the big ones. Announcing a Smash character would just kill their spotlight completely.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
For me, I do think if its Challenger 6 for FP2, they would save it for a general direct and possibly a Sakurai Showcase. Remember of the Smash Effect, it will overshadow other indie games due to how BIG Smash Ultimate is on Everyone is Here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom