• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Sakuraimakes all four of Geno's B moves into Counters. His final Smash is a counter that counters his own counter. Its called Counterintuitive

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It honestly makes me happy of how many super enthusiastic K. Rool players there are and I hope Geno's the same way. Obviously, every character has its fans but there's some characters that people don't care how good or bad they are and simply put their all into them. Historically, Falco and Ganondorf probably highlight this the most and I hope Geno winds up being one of those types of characters too. This is one of the reasons I follow competitive Smash too and have for years because "character culture" is just really cool to me. Zelda players have completely different mindsets than Peach players and so on and so forth and I want to see how Geno's develops.
So what you're saying is... you want Geno to be low tier? :ultpacman:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
For anyone who cares about my presence on this thread, I know I've been less of a regular as of late. I suppose similar to Malo Mart Malo Mart I'm just taking a break until there is more definitive news. By news I mean, you know, Smash news. Since this is a Smash speculation thread (for Geno), I haven't had much to say since Smash hasn't been doing much lately. (And I also don't want to be one of those who is in here and has literally has nothing to say about Geno...) *cough*

That said, as always, this zoomer is always here supporting you guys. For those who care about my presence, hopefully an upcoming Direct will be announced soon and then I'll be chatting away once more!

Hopefully we'll all be like this once again soon:
IMG_20191230_201208.jpg

Polarthief

Smash Lord
And I also don't want to be one of those who is in here and has literally has nothing to say about Geno...
My apologies :(. It's fun to talk about Nintendo stuff while we're twiddling our thumbs waiting for what's hopefully a direct next week.

It is a bit nuts how much the heart races when your favorite character that's been practically dead for 10 or 20 years, maybe even longer than that, suddenly gains relevancy again. This direct especially I'll be feeling that because it could be Geno at the reveal, but potentially the other stuff Zippo has leaked, which would make me a very happy camper.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...how many Super Mario RPG characters do you think will make cameos in Geno's stage?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Watch there be something hilariously busted about Geno that makes a bunch of players want him banned.
Geno was kind of busted in SMRPG so it would make sense. Fastest character, second strongest physical attacks, basically tied with Mallow for strongest special attacks, had a move that could boost attack and defense, had an instant kill move, etc. Imagine a character with Fox's speed and combo abilities but with Mii Gunner's range and projectile variety and Samus/Megaman's average strength and you have a character that's kind of a monster on paper.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno was kind of busted in SMRPG so it would make sense. Fastest character, second strongest physical attacks, basically tied with Mallow for strongest special attacks, had a move that could boost attack and defense, had an instant kill move, etc. Imagine a character with Fox's speed and combo abilities but with Mii Gunner's range and projectile variety and Samus/Megaman's average strength and you have a character that's kind of a monster on paper.
Yeah, I could see that. Also, given that Geno's not part of Square's main IPs like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, I get the feeling that they probably won't be as strict regarding when he releases or what amiibos come out to coincide with his release. There's a decent chance we might see him as Fighter 6, and given how tight lipped things have been lately for Smash related news, it's a possibility to take into account

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It honestly makes me happy of how many super enthusiastic K. Rool players there are and I hope Geno's the same way. Obviously, every character has its fans but there's some characters that people don't care how good or bad they are and simply put their all into them. Historically, Falco and Ganondorf probably highlight this the most and I hope Geno winds up being one of those types of characters too. This is one of the reasons I follow competitive Smash too and have for years because "character culture" is just really cool to me. Zelda players have completely different mindsets than Peach players and so on and so forth and I want to see how Geno's develops.
Wanting characters for liking them or having a history with them is the big focus every Smash supporter should have. I didn't wanted K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo & Kazooie just because they would have fun movesets, I mainly wanted them also because I grew up with those characters and I love them especially Banjo & Kazooie and K. Rool. I grew up playing a lot of the Rareware games from back in the day during the N64 era like Diddy Kong Racing, the Banjo-Kazooie games, Jetforce Gemini, DK64, Star Fox Adventures, ect. I still want fellow Rareware creations like Krystal, Dixie Kong, Conker, Battletoads, and the Star Twins to make it in the roster someday because I have such a passion and love for Rare's old games and characters.

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I think a potentially important thing to note is that if Fighter Pass 2 was more of a last minute decision, them reusing assets from Smash 4 actually does make a lot of sense to do.

That's why I feel like Heihachi, Lloyd, and Geno are 3 of the most likely candidates since they have assets from Smash 4. I'm not exactly sure how game development works so it's VERY likely that already existing Mii costumes don't actually make working on a character easier, but I'm sure it's helpful to have a foot in the door to help workshop designs. (King K. Rool's Smash 4 mii costume looks like they literally put their prototype redesign and just shrunk the important features around Mii proportions).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hmm...how many Super Mario RPG characters do you think will make cameos in Geno's stage?
It mostly depends on which level they choose to make a stage out of and everyone is betting on Forest Maze just due to how associated it is with Geno. No matter which level or part of the game they choose to make a stage, Mallow and Frogfucius I think without a doubt be in it somewhere with some of the Smithy gang and Smithy himself possibly.

D

Deleted member

I say a good plenty could come with the stage. Mallow will be part of Geno's taunts on the battlefield so I'd say characters like Booster, Boshi, Smithy, the Axem Rangers, Frogfucius, I mean the list goes on and on.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I never understood why Mallow was so poorly regarded in the later half of the game as his special attacks were indeed monstrous.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think a potentially important thing to note is that if Fighter Pass 2 was more of a last minute decision, them reusing assets from Smash 4 actually does make a lot of sense to do.

That's why I feel like Heihachi, Lloyd, and Geno are 3 of the most likely candidates since they have assets from Smash 4. I'm not exactly sure how game development works so it's VERY likely that already existing Mii costumes don't actually make working on a character easier, but I'm sure it's helpful to have a foot in the door to help workshop designs. (King K. Rool's Smash 4 mii costume looks like they literally put their prototype redesign and just shrunk the important features around Mii proportions).
I don't think Season 2 was "last minute" but there's decent evidence that Nintendo was interested in it almost immediately after the Fighter's Pass was formally announced. I do think the assets are a good talking point though because I do think probably half of Season 2's characters will involve characters that use them because, if Season 2 was technically taken seriously as early as late 2018, these were probably the first kinda of characters that came to mind, just like how Smash 4's DLC started with returning veterans.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I say a good plenty could come with the stage. Mallow will be part of Geno's taunts on the battlefield so I'd say characters like Booster, Boshi, Smithy, the Axem Rangers, Frogfucius, I mean the list goes on and on.
I really think a Forest stage with Bowyer would make the most sense for a Geno stage.

Honorable mention goes to an Exor stage or a Belome temple stage.

D

Deleted member

I really think a Forest stage with Bowyer would make the most sense for a Geno stage.

Honorable mention goes to an Exor stage or a Belome temple stage.
I mean it has to be the Forest Maze. It HAS to be. Or Bowser's Keep could be a good one as well...

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Geno Whirl is only dangerous when you can nail the timing right.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I never understood why Mallow was so poorly regarded in the later half of the game as his special attacks were indeed monstrous.
He's slow and his defense isn't super great. If I remember right, he had the best special defense but second worst physical defense after Peach. Peach is overall the worst character but saved by the fact that her healing magic basically breaks the game. Mallow's technically second worst because everyone outdoes him to some degree, made even worse by the fact that you can't swap out Mario. Mario is balanced, Bowser's stronger physically and with more HP and defense, Geno's Geno, and Peach makes it virtually impossible to lose if she's kept alive.

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
That only if you run out of any kind of syrup since once your alone with Peach without any FP and syrup you're ******. But the game only got that difficult for me when I fought Smithy or Culex.
In some ways Culex was maybe one step harder than Smithy.

Dukefire

Smash Master
For those that are wondering how Geno should work, here is a video from Brawlfan1 that can point out the moveset perfect for Geno

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Comparing Smithy to Culex is like comparing Shadow Queen to Bonetail. Culex and Bonetail are slightly above them in strength and difficulty.
You can cheese Bonetail with Danger Mario too easily.

Culex is ridiculous in comparison. No cheesing available.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I plan on streaming my first interaction with the SMRPG Randomizer on Monday. I plan to start around 11:30 AM CST and I would appreciate people showing up just to hang out and have a good time.

I know I get saucy and serious around here but when I'm not trying to get people to understand factual things and logic I tend to be very chill and all about having a good time.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Yeah, no. I’m absolutely entitled to feel however the hell I want if Geno doesn’t get added.

Those people don’t need my congrats to validate themselves for getting their character in, just as I won’t need a hollow congratulations from someone like you who actively fueled everything but Geno discussion in this support thread. I’m good.

I would never suggest actively bringing people down who got their character in, but we are under no obligation to congratulate them or pretend we’re happy about it in this thread.
This 100%. And tbh I think it’s really weird that so many people try to dictate what is/isn’t an appropriate way to feel here regarding your preferred character not getting in over another from the same company. If someone like 2B gets in I’m not going to be happy about it because I have no attachment or interest in the character or their game. I don’t see what typing out a forced congratulations post that lies about how I feel is going to benefit anyone. The whole idea that people should be visibly happy and grateful for every single thing and worship Sakurai/Nintendo on every decision regarding this game just feels very emotionally dishonest to me. You can criticize or feel unhappy about something without having a toxic gamer moment. The whole idea of “support” towards characters you are actively rooting against getting because of what character you do want or have no interest in general with regards to these threads is so bizarre to me. At worst it just feels transparently performative and an excuse to concern troll and derail conversations just to be in an active thread.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
In some ways Culex was maybe one step harder than Smithy.
Comparing Smithy to Culex is like comparing Shadow Queen to Bonetail. Culex and Bonetail are slightly above them in strength and difficulty.
What game were you guys playing? Culex made Smithy look like a pushover joke. 5 attacks per turn alone made that fight hard, never mind that all the crystals were pretty dang strong. Even with Lazy Shell/Super Suit cheese, by no means is that fight easy.

You can cheese Bonetail with Danger Mario too easily. Culex is ridiculous in comparison. No cheesing available.
PM in general is a much easier game that can be extreme-cheesed. Danger Mario, the power of badges, and even worse, Superguarding if you're not crap at it (unlike me, ree). Also, despite the 100-battle (or less) trek to get through, you can cheese that part further with Sweet Feast, Appeal spam, and just CCing the last enemy on screen with something like Sleep.

Again, you always have Lazy Shell/Super Suit, but even with those, you're not going to have a cakewalk on your hands. Badges aren't in SMRPG and that alone makes the game way harder.

PS: Badges and items (which are also arguably better in PM) allow you to beat PM64 at a locked Level 1. I'd love to see someone beat all of SMRPG at Level 1 (and yes I know that there are low-level speedruns, but locked at Level 1? Hmmm).

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
This 100%. And tbh I think it’s really weird that so many people try to dictate what is/isn’t an appropriate way to feel here regarding your preferred character not getting in over another from the same company. If someone like 2B gets in I’m not going to be happy about it because I have no attachment or interest in the character or their game. I don’t see what typing out a forced congratulations post that lies about how I feel is going to benefit anyone. The whole idea that people should be visibly happy and grateful for every single thing and worship Sakurai/Nintendo on every decision regarding this game just feels very emotionally dishonest to me. You can criticize or feel unhappy about something without having a toxic gamer moment. The whole idea of “support” towards characters you are actively rooting against getting because of what character you do want or have no interest in general with regards to these threads is so bizarre to me. At worst it just feels transparently performative and an excuse to concern troll and derail conversations just to be in an active thread.
you must of missread what I typed. I wasnt saying "be happy for the other character getting in" I was just simply saying wish then a good job. You can still be angry they are in. Hell, I was pissed chrom got in because I wanted layton but I still said congrats. I eventualy got over that petty anger of mine. Im sure you all can do the same thing.

And if you cant, idk what else to say. Hopefully the way I reworded it helped you see what I meant, I tried. Ill be the first non geno fan to congratulate you if Geno gets in, I promise you that

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I largely agree with this which is why I rarely talk about characters I actively don't want. Of the harassment I've gotten in like the last four months, it's kind of sad that a vast majority of it has come from like 5 character fanbases (they're not hard to guess if you reeeeeally think about it) and a lot of it has stemmed from me saying things as basic as "I don't think this character has that great of a chance." God, if I was as blunt and gloves off as I was during the Brawl days, I probably would have been stabbed to death by now.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
For anyone who cares about my presence on this thread, I know I've been less of a regular as of late. I suppose similar to Malo Mart Malo Mart I'm just taking a break until there is more definitive news. By news I mean, you know, Smash news. Since this is a Smash speculation thread (for Geno), I haven't had much to say since Smash hasn't been doing much lately. (And I also don't want to be one of those who is in here and has literally has nothing to say about Geno...) *cough*

That said, as always, this zoomer is always here supporting you guys. For those who care about my presence, hopefully an upcoming Direct will be announced soon and then I'll be chatting away once more!

View attachment 263464
Heh, funny you mention me taking a break from here. I haven't said I would be I don't think, but really, I suppose I am taking one at the moment. Lately I've only been posting once or twice per day at most. Not much to talk about that hasn't been said of course, but it's still worth logging in for the stuff Fatman and all the other awesome peeps in the thread post. On the other hand, I've been very active on the Star Road discord, which I highly recommend for anyone here who just wants to hang out and have some more casual talk/****post.

In other news, I just found out that Smashboards has emotes for all the Unown letters, so you know what I gotta do...

:201c::201a::201c::201o::201m::201a::201l::201l::201o::201u: :201i::201s: :201r::201e::201a::201l:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
you must of missread what I typed. I wasnt saying "be happy for the other character getting in" I was just simply saying wish then a good job. You can still be angry they are in. Hell, I was pissed chrom got in becausr I wanted layton but I still said congrats. Im sure you all can do the same thing.

And if you cant, idk what to say
This is exactly my point: Why? For whose benefit would that be? It’s such an empty gesture. I’m sure there will be plenty people who come to this specific thread and type out something like “I didn’t want Geno to get in and would have preferred 2B but congratulations” if he gets in. Does reading that make me feel warm and fuzzy inside? No. I actually don’t care because in that instance I got the character I wanted and some empty insincere statement from some random person on the internet I maybe know doesn’t actually like the character is going to have a net zero impact on my happiness. I would prefer to celebrate and be happy with people who are genuinely happy.

Also your example doesn’t even match up with what I’m saying. Layton literally has nothing to do with Chrom. I’m talking about one character from a specific company getting in over another from the same company.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
This is exactly my point: Why? For whose benefit would that be? It’s such an empty gesture. I’m sure there will be plenty people who come to this specific thread and type out something like “I didn’t want Geno to get in and would have preferred 2B but congratulations” if he gets in. Does reading that make me feel warm and fuzzy inside? No. I actually don’t care because in that instance I got the character I wanted it and some empty insincere statement from some random person on the internet I maybe know doesn’t actually like the character is going to have a net zero impact on my happiness. I would prefer to celebrate and be happy with people who are genuinely happy.

Also your example doesn’t even match up with what I’m saying. Layton literally has nothing to do with Chrom. I’m talking about one character from a specific company getting in over another from the same company.
I was mostly comparing it to a character I didnt want in insted of the character I wanted, guess I still didnt word it right.
I mean, the good people wouldnt come and say "I wanted x, not y but congrats" Those are the kinda people you just ignore. I mean like just saying "yo, congrats"

But I guess Its best I give up explain here. Its not worth it. Sorry for wasting your time and i hope you get geno

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Kind of like how some people treated others here who didn't like Byleth being added as if it was a horrible move to say such things. No, a jerk move would be going into that character's support thread and saying how much you don't approve of them.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Hey, didn't read your post. Probably won't! Just joined to say that Geno is my 7th most wanted Square Enix character and if ANY of you criticize me for that you're toxic.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
People don't really care about nuance or understanding anymore. Everybody's so used to being nice and happy all the time that, if for some reason you express that you're not satisfied about something or are even upset about it, you're considered part of the problem. They'll label and dismiss you as a terrible "toxic" person without even giving you a chance to explain yourself. And yet, ironically, when it comes down to them not getting the things they want or not liking a thing, then suddenly it's completely fine to be vocal about how much they don't like it. It's such a self-centered attitude people have nowadays and it single-handedly kills anything it touches, be it games, films, tv shows, books, you name it.
LetPeopleNotEnGenoThings.png

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
People don't really care about nuance or understanding anymore. Everybody's so used to being nice and happy all the time that, if for some reason you express that you're not satisfied about something or are even upset about it, you're considered part of the problem. They'll label and dismiss you as a terrible "toxic" person without even giving you a chance to explain yourself. And yet, ironically, when it comes down to them not getting the things they want or not liking a thing, then suddenly it's completely fine to be vocal about how much they don't like it. It's such a self-centered attitude people have nowadays and it single-handedly kills anything it touches, be it games, films, tv shows, books, you name it.
View attachment 263485
This reminds me when he made a comic disowning this comic lmao

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
That'd be cool if at some point we could get most of the Grinch Leak characters in the game. That fake lineup was so hype for so many people. If Geno does make it in I wonder if he would have without the Grinch Leak bringing his name back in the limelight for a decent period in the online scene.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That'd be cool if at some point we could get most of the Grinch Leak characters in the game. That fake lineup was so hype for so many people. If Geno does make it in I wonder if he would have without the Grinch Leak bringing his name back in the limelight for a decent period in the online scene.
Geno was prominent before Grinch but more or less cemented him as one of the "big" dream picks for Ultimate. Him, Banjo, and Isaac were the main reasons people cared about it (Ken was already leaked and most people expected Shadow around that time) so getting at least two of the three in the end would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom