• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Let me make this clear, if it was us on the receiving end of Imran Khan's deconfirmation the other day, everyone would treat us as dead in the water no matter what.
I guarantee you this thread would instantly get 5 pages of nothing but “GG you guys that really sucks for you all ! Even though we told you so :3 Guess you shouldn’t have gotten your hopes up uwu better luck next time and remember to support [insert X character]”. Also people just generally rubbing our noses in it to the point that I could list off like 10 names off the top of my head of users who’d do this.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Off topic, but Super Mario Bros Z is back! I'm hyped for the Axem Rangers' comeback; can't wait to see what the next designs look like; and the second saga is confirmed to be the Smithy Saga! So we could get Geno in Mario Bros Z, which would be sick

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
I guarantee you this thread would instantly get 5 pages of nothing but “GG you guys that really sucks for you all ! Even though we told you so :3 Guess you shouldn’t have gotten your hopes up uwu better luck next time and remember to support [insert X character]”. Also people just generally rubbing our noses in it to the point that I could list off like 10 names off the top of my head of users who’d do this.
It hurts me so much inside how true this is.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh gad that’s so true.

If I could convince game explain to make an article that has a “follow up” interview that he included Geno on that list the flood gates of hypocrisy will open on this thread.

I also want to point out I have nothing against Sora, or any other characters that get this kind of news. Just referring to the treatment we get who’s goal post gets pushed further away and others get closer cuz “relevance, popularity, etc.”

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
To be super blunt and tie into what I talked about earlier, people have their own biases but Sora is given an absurd amount of leeway, even among insiders. This is just another instance of this. Again, compare this to Doom Guy and the difference is night and day. Like I've said, neither character has been seriously talked about among insiders but there's always been this prevailing idea that "oh, if Nintendo were to go out of their way for one third party character, it's Sora. Nintendo probably hasn't tried yet." That's always been the argument. Now we have one of the biggest Western insiders in the industry casting strong doubt, once again, after the brand manager of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts said it wasn't in the cards last year and people are just being told to disregard it once again. I realize Sora is a really popular character but it's basically Megaman in Brawl and Ridley in Smash 4 all over again.

The video honestly hand waves a lot:

-Imran's insight into the industry.

-The fact that Imran outright says Master Chief OR Sora. Doesn't believe both would get into the same game.

-Imran's insight on the difficulty of working with Disney.

-Imran's extremely strong confidence that the conversation happened.

-Imran outright says Master Chief would be the bigger deal and the bigger headline.

This isn't some random guy. This is the former senior editor of the biggest Western gaming publication. Not all opinions and speculation are worth the same. That's why instances like this and Suda with Travis drive me up a wall. You have people with enormous amounts of clout and prestige in the industry personally casting doubt and its just blown off as if they asked some random dude in a Taco Bell. Doom Guy, Travis, and Sora are all in the same boat at this point and that's just the brass tacks of it.
nah fam, doesnt change the fact people are make a mountain out of a mole hill with misinformation

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another thing I want to say is that I was the main guy that came in here and down talked Geno's chances for Smash 4. Users like Papa and kiteinthesky can attest to this. Yes, me. This is also why I'm getting indignant about it because people keep saying "oh, Fatman's delusional" and "oh, Fatman's manipulative and misleading the Geno fanbase" when the reality of the situation is that I was pessimistic until the Nintendo World article in 2016 and basically confirmed all my Geno Brawl theorycraft. People conveniently ignore that there was almost an EIGHT YEAR PERIOD where I largely accepted that Geno was a pipe dream and regularly expressed this.

https://smashboards.com/threads/wha...not-likely-happen.404407/page-2#post-19610415

https://smashboards.com/threads/what-character-did-you-vote-for-why.397112/page-2#post-18877676

https://smashboards.com/threads/as-...-wishlist-looking.358169/page-2#post-16897688

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-social-topic-2-0.347937/page-54#post-16361382

https://smashboards.com/threads/who...ted-3rd-party-character.337918/#post-15627164

https://smashboards.com/threads/comparing-old-wishlists-to-new-ones.355580/#post-16763914

Need I go on? I owned up to the fact that Geno's chances were dead in the water until contrary evidence arose and it did and it has and that's why I'm so confident in Geno now.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Let me make this clear, if it was us on the receiving end of Imran Khan's deconfirmation the other day, everyone would treat us as dead in the water no matter what.
The thing that kills me about Sora is that he has *NOTHING* going for him, and now this guy who I do not know but is apparently important, making an educated assumption that he's a no go. Meanwhile, Geno has legitimate evidence in his favor and people are dismissing it so quickly.

Plus all of GameFAQs.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Off topic, but Super Mario Bros Z is back! I'm hyped for the Axem Rangers' comeback; can't wait to see what the next designs look like; and the second saga is confirmed to be the Smithy Saga! So we could get Geno in Mario Bros Z, which would be sick
How many times has this come back? not that i mind

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'd like to touch upon the topic of the recent Imran comments in regards to either Master Chief OR Sora possibly joining Smash in the Fighters Pass Vol. 2, but more particularly Sora's case. Besides the scope of the game, Nintendo, and third parties, in this particular case I think it's also important to take a look at the broader scope of what both Nintendo and Disney are doing. Outside of video games, recently we had Nintendo, in collaboration with Universal Studios, announce the soon to inaugurate (I believe this summer) the new Nintendo-(Mario actually)-themed theme park; Super Nintendo World. With this, Nintendo ventures into the industry of theme parks, with the help of industry veteran company Universal Studios. Within the segment of theme parks however, Universal Studios and Disney are direct competitors, so of course Nintendo having collaborated with Universal Studios most certainly has an impact in regards of decision making; back to the context of video games, between Nintendo and Disney. Also, thinking about it today, it is possible that the idea for this theme park may have been talked between Nintendo and Universal, and afterwards proceeded into development around 2016 (when the 2020 Olympics location was announced). In conclusion, ever since the Super Nintendo World announcement, whenever I saw discussion on Sora in Smash, I thought "hmm... that whole new theme park announcement might... have something to say about that". Of course, it may alternatively not affect possible negotiations for the character AT ALL since in regards to Smash, this is an entirely different segment.

Ok, now onto something Geno related for the sake of this thread.

As discussion on Vol. 2 has progressed, and reflecting over and over upon the Smash Bros. lore, I've come to think of Geno as the true main character of the series, in a similar light as Erdrick is in the first two Dragon Quest games. In those two games, Erdrick's name is mentioned a number of instances, yet he never makes an appearance. However, come Dragon Quest III, and we finally have Erdrick as the Hero of the story. In a similar sense, I now see Geno as the hero that has been sung about since the very beginning (Super Smash Bros. on the N64), yet never made a true appearance (Smash 4's Mii costume doesn't count, nor his Spirit)... until... now perhaps. Him coming within Vol. 2 would be a similar scenario to the introduction of Erdrick within the DQ lore. And heck, why not? It'd be cool that along his inclusion, WoL got expanded a bit, say... one final ULTIMATE battle out in the stars (towards where all the spirits ascend during the end credits).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of WoL, I do hope there's an expansion. Having sections dedicated to the different DLC would be great and possibly have it be an opportunity to introduce more bosses, even if it's just old ones. Create a Square Enix section, make a Sephiroth boss that's hard as balls, etc.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
On the topic of WoL, I do hope there's an expansion. Having sections dedicated to the different DLC would be great and possibly have it be an opportunity to introduce more bosses, even if it's just old ones. Create a Square Enix section, make a Sephiroth boss that's hard as balls, etc.
Can we at least get Porky back? I miss Porky ;p;

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Make Porky a fighter. Add old Porky boss.

Can we at least get Porky back? I miss Porky ;p;
I swear I didn't see your post until I typed mine >_>;

Also insane idea: Mother Trilogy gets released on Switch, Porky gets released as a fighter (and Brawl boss returns) to advertise.

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
I've been wanting this even before we got new spirit boards.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Also insane idea: Mother Trilogy gets released on Switch, Porky gets released as a fighter (and Brawl boss returns) to advertise.
Make Ninten an echo of Ness.

Hell, make many echoes! Throw as many bodies at this game as possible! Have amiibos until 2035.

Add playable Geno, then give him an echo. Call him Jeno!

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

lowkey if there's a "tribute fighter" for iwata included, i'd much rather have porky over lolo. A guy can dream. Might be more likely if they have a Mother collection or somthing like that, so nintendo could still get a bit of benefit out of it.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
Porky would be badass tbh, especially if we get his original theme alongside a new remix of the same track.

But man, if Fatmanonice Fatmanonice prediction becomes our reality by 2021, then Smash is officially THE celebration of video games, and no Playstation knock-off is ever gonna come close to that.

I will admit though, there are some PS IPs among my favorite of all-time (Like Ape Escape), that I wish were Nintendo IPs just so they could get represented in some form (Mii costume, Spirit, Soundtrack, etc.).

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Hi peeps. I haven't been here since the 1700s-ish (pages I mean) lol. I'm trying to find if there has been speculation about Geno just coming back as a Sans/Cuphead style upgraded mii costume. Any talk about that? I tried looking through the past several pages, but you guys are talking about other topics. I was just curious. I would love some information or speculation about that.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Hi peeps. I haven't been here since the 1700s-ish (pages I mean) lol. I'm trying to find if there has been speculation about Geno just coming back as a Sans/Cuphead style upgraded mii costume. Any talk about that? I tried looking through the past several pages, but you guys are talking about other topics. I was just curious. I would love some information or speculation about that.
>Any talk about that?
GenoDisappointed.jpg

Yeah, there's uhh... been plenty of that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Frustration.

“lol you Geno cultists suck lol he’s gonna be an upgraded costume and that’s it exdee Sakurai needlessly lied about liking Geno despite not saying the same about other fans and their characters’ costumes and liked that Instagram post to make his lie look legit lol just shut up you stupid pathetic cultists SUPPORT BUBSY lol exdeeeee

P.S. stop listening to Fatman lol Fatman bad and evil liarman even though I don’t actually know the whole story with him and he’s mostly speculating anyway and has people who can back him up including people who are critical of him exdee exdee he sucks and y’all suck for thinking different from me you bad people idiots rofl exdee xd hate you bye“

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Who do you guys will take up the mantle of the geno, ridley k.rool trifecta, once they all get in?

I'm thinking Isaac, Bandanna Dee and Shantae
Same here dude. Those three I feel are going to be the talk of the town during speculation for Smash 6.

Lloyd Irving is definitely the next in line after Geno, Banjo, Ridley and K.Rool. The others would be Isaac and a Zelda Side Character (Midna/Skull Kid)

But after Lloyd, no body else truly seems to have that holy **** impact that a character like K.Rool and Banjo had and what Geno would especially have.
I feel like Isaac has more of that holy **** factor that Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo & Kazooie had more than Lloyd Irving. I'm not saying Lloyd isn't popular or anything, but I'm he isn't as popular as Isaac.

2400 pages, good lord.
We will surpass 3000 pages before Geno get's in.

I could probably list over 30 names of users that would take a **** on us and laugh at us if Geno had the coffin shut on him.

Another thing I want to say is that I was the main guy that came in here and down talked Geno's chances for Smash 4. Users like Papa and kiteinthesky can attest to this. Yes, me. This is also why I'm getting indignant about it because people keep saying "oh, Fatman's delusional" and "oh, Fatman's manipulative and misleading the Geno fanbase" when the reality of the situation is that I was pessimistic until the Nintendo World article in 2016 and basically confirmed all my Geno Brawl theorycraft. People conveniently ignore that there was almost an EIGHT YEAR PERIOD where I largely accepted that Geno was a pipe dream and regularly expressed this.

https://smashboards.com/threads/wha...not-likely-happen.404407/page-2#post-19610415

https://smashboards.com/threads/what-character-did-you-vote-for-why.397112/page-2#post-18877676

https://smashboards.com/threads/as-...-wishlist-looking.358169/page-2#post-16897688

https://smashboards.com/threads/smash-4-social-topic-2-0.347937/page-54#post-16361382

https://smashboards.com/threads/who...ted-3rd-party-character.337918/#post-15627164

https://smashboards.com/threads/comparing-old-wishlists-to-new-ones.355580/#post-16763914

Need I go on? I owned up to the fact that Geno's chances were dead in the water until contrary evidence arose and it did and it has and that's why I'm so confident in Geno now.
I didn't know you were a Ashley and Krystal supporter and had them in your top 10 no less. Krystal is now my 2nd most wanted character now that K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie are all in. I hope to see Krystal return to the Star Fox franchise someday.

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
Damn, well thanks for answering my post you guys. I still want him to actually make it in as a playable character. I would be pretty sad with just the mii costume, even if it is upgraded. I would love it if Geno was #77. We'll just have to wait it out some more.

Last edited:

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
Frustration.

“lol you Geno cultists suck lol he’s gonna be an upgraded costume and that’s it exdee Sakurai needlessly lied about liking Geno despite not saying the same about other fans and their characters’ costumes and liked that Instagram post to make his lie look legit lol just shut up you stupid pathetic cultists SUPPORT BUBSY lol exdeeeee

P.S. stop listening to Fatman lol Fatman bad and evil liarman even though I don’t actually know the whole story with him and he’s mostly speculating anyway and has people who can back him up including people who are critical of him exdee exdee he sucks and y’all suck for thinking different from me you bad people idiots rofl exdee xd hate you bye“
The general thread is almost always like that. It's honestly like a rite of passage that whichever character(s) dominates current speculation has to go through a ton of **** from detractors, and often fans of said character get dragged through the mud as well. It happened with Banjo, K. Rool, and Ridley as well, and if Geno does get in, then they'll all move on to the next character and their fans and try to beat them down as well.

It reasons like this is why I've spent most of my years here lurking instead posting much.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Damn, well thanks for answering my post you guys. I still want him to actually make it in as a playable character. I would be pretty sad with just the mii costume, even if it is upgraded. I would love it if Geno was #77. We'll just have to wait it out some more.
He has a much higher chance of being playable than being a costume, FTR.

As for being #6, idk, chances are pretty low of that. I'd say 10~15%?

Supposedly it'll be on the 12th.
On Wednesday? Wasn't everyone saying Thursday?

Last edited:

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
You guys don't need to prove yourselves on why Geno is logically likely. If people come in here and try to start beef, just ignore them or just say your response and move on. It is clear to see why Geno is likely. Again, as most of you know, I'm not even a personal Geno fan but I'm here supporting you guys because he is objectively likely I think due to the laundry list of reasons said. I think due to all of the characters included so far for Ultimate that Geno is super likely. I know the wait for a Direct has been bad, but just be patient, I think your guys' patience will be awarded soon enough.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He has a much higher chance of being playable than being a costume, FTR.

As for being #6, idk, chances are pretty low of that. I'd say 10~15%?

On Wednesday? Wasn't everyone saying Thursday?
Mandycan was the only one saying specifically the 12th. Markomaro simply said "next week" last week and Sakurai low-key implied 6 would be announced before his next write up. Beyond that, a billion people have been saying "soon" since December so the waiting process has been kind of like a slow death even for insiders this time around.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Censor dodging
Honestly, much as I hate that Geno and us Geno fans are so targeted, we can at least take that as a sign we're going strong. You don't see detractors going after characters that have little fanfare. "lol cope and seethe plokf**s, cope and seethe*". You just don't see that! People who want to stir **** only seek fanbases of popular characters, because that's where they'll get the attention they want. As people have said before, :ultridley:, :ultkrool: and :ultbanjokazooie: all suffered through the same bitterness that Geno gets now, and they were especially easy targets because "lol irrelevant boomer pick", or in Ridley's case, "lol too big". Yet would you look at that, those three are some of the biggest success stories in Smash to date! People can come up with all the excuses they want, but the fact that Geno is just about on the same boat as they were really goes to show how far we've come.

*no shade at Plok intended, please gimme that soundtrack daddy Sakurai

Edit: censored the homophobic f-word

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom