• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
7NATOR 7NATOR My thing on Waluigi is that Waluigi is pretty unbelievable on his own. Like I said I believe last week, of the 6 characters I'm currently predicting, Waluigi has the least amount of confidence among insiders by a long shot. More insiders entertain the idea of Master Chief than Waluigi and that's saying a lot. This topic has definitely bled over to Geno and Lloyd but insiders are human too and come with their own biases. Again, Geno was regularly dismissed by insiders until the Mii costume was MIA and brought with it a banquet worth of humble pie. People heard Terry but dismissed him because they personally didn't expect him. As the record shows, I dismissed Hero for a variety of reasons. Pretty much everyone dismissed Byleth for obvious reasons. There are a ton of examples of this and we often trip over our own feet. Steve proceeding Banjo was "logical" until it wasn't. Waluigi is not "logical" under the more popular frames of analysis that Smash speculators typically use.
so given this, I take it that if Waluigi were to come to fruition, that the Insiders start being more open minded about the characters they hear?

D

Deleted member

Long post, buckle up.

I see that Lloyd is making the rounds again and I feel like I need to be a debbie downer for a brief minute: Lloyd really doesn't have the strength that Geno has because his only boon is longevity in the community, and to echo shades of Wynn, if that meant anything, he and Geno would already be in. Lloyd's other selling points are happenstance and trademarks that were proven to be for something totally different.

I am in total agreement with Fatman that Ryu was, at best, leakbait for Byleth thanks to Koei Tecmo's involvement with 3 Houses. He's perfect leakbait for two reasons: few fan rosters or fake leaks ever included him until recently, and any mention of Tecmo brings him to mind - he is almost their mascot character. For instance, Fatman says insiders were hearing Ryu in December 2018? Congrats to them, because pretty much every commoner who had heard that Koei Tecmo was making an announcement at TGA 2018 thought for sure the Fighters Pass was about to open with Ryu - myself included. For those who are unaware, the announcement was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

... But Lloyd. I think as recently as December it hit me that the Mii costumes that we're still missing were obviously intentional. Power of six or power of two or whatever you want to roll with, the trend we had for Mii costumes wasn't going to allow every Smash 4 Mii costume to return - consider that even if every pack was supposed to come with 3 returning Mii costumes, we would still be missing one costume, and that's with giving a totally non-Square costume to Hero. Again, there is definitely a reason they took the costumes out that they took out, and I think that reason is to disguise that one of these costumes is going to become a playable character. It's too obvious what they're planning if Geno, Lloyd, and even Heihachi (who Sakurai supposedly tried to make a fighter?) were turned into fighters because their Mii costumes failed to come back.

Byleth, as much as he displeases me, did at least further the cause of theorycraft: There are 6 slots now, and 7 Mii costumes missing (Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, Heihachi, Gil, [Monster] Hunter, Rathalos), which would conveniently allow for every one of these new packs to come with one returning costume... and leave an extra. No guarantee on that and we won't know until we get the first character and their Mii list (which, if it isn't Geno... cheeks clenched.), but it lines up with my idea that we're unfortunately going to have a sacrificial lamb among the costumes (more if you actually wanted Heihachi or... Gil? idk), and thanks to Sakurai's latest Famitsu column, I just don't think Lloyd's gonna make it.

Sakurai once again tries to assure us that Nintendo was twisting his arm, or in the kindest words possible, that he felt like something new should be represented and Fire Emblem just happened to line up (which I call bull on, Nintendo twisted his arm if he doesn't just outright love Fire Emblem). He thinks there's too many Fire Emblem characters (and for a franchise with its impact, I agree) and that there's too many sword characters. Now... I know "sword character" is fighting words. It has become a ****post phrase, but Sakurai has given it the context that most people give it subconsciously - characters whose moveset is entirely sword based.

Let's look at Byleth. Functionally, Byleth is a sword character regardless of what weapon they're holding. Disjoints, bad frame data in exchange, tipper mechanic... Yeah. By that definition, Richter is a sword character too. And Dedede. But you know, we don't hate them or think of them as sword characters because of what they're holding, so in that regard, Sakurai tried to make Byleth less of a sword character. He has a bow, like Link, and even uses it as a melee weapon because he's... not that bright? very creative. He's one of two (1 out of every 4) FE characters to not have a counter on his down B. The overall distaste for Byleth is that he's a Fire Emblem character, at this point, not that he's a swordsman.

Serenade said:
... But Lloyd
Lloyd is in a bad boat, here. If you go back in this thread and find where I said that Lloyd's problem is all the he'll bring is a sword(x2), you'll see that I was never proven wrong. Sure, he has arts that look magical, but they're still sword techniques. His primary weapon is a sword and he uses them exclusively throughout his game, to the point that the moveset wouldn't be able to incorporate other elements and remain true to the character. You can dislike me and disagree with me for this, but I just don't think he stands a chance. In my humble opinion, he's going to be the casualty of this Mii costume coverup and I feel extremely bad for Lloydbros because I'd be upset to think Geno would end up the victim of a long con like that.

Maybe I'll be wrong and both Geno and Lloyd will show up. Maybe I'll be wrong and we'll both be the victims of the long con so that Heihachi can punch with both fists separately. Maybe this meant nothing and none of those characters show. Just doing my best with what we've got, and what we've got smiles on Geno. Pick any other missing costume that has:

Two music tracks copyright removed on YouTube
A text leak that turned out to be right about every costume, with two characters from their game being fresh new Mii costumes that haven't shown up yet.
A video leak with one character from their game being a fresh new Mii costume in action

TooManyToastahs

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2063-0575-6789
Switch FC
SW-8520-5670-4041
7NATOR 7NATOR My thing on Waluigi is that Waluigi is pretty unbelievable on his own. Like I said I believe last week, of the 6 characters I'm currently predicting, Waluigi has the least amount of confidence among insiders by a long shot. More insiders entertain the idea of Master Chief than Waluigi and that's saying a lot. This topic has definitely bled over to Geno and Lloyd but insiders are human too and come with their own biases. Again, Geno was regularly dismissed by insiders until the Mii costume was MIA and brought with it a banquet worth of humble pie. People heard Terry but dismissed him because they personally didn't expect him. As the record shows, I dismissed Hero for a variety of reasons. Pretty much everyone dismissed Byleth for obvious reasons. There are a ton of examples of this and we often trip over our own feet. Steve proceeding Banjo was "logical" until it wasn't. Waluigi is not "logical" under the more popular frames of analysis that Smash speculators typically use.
Speaking of what insiders consider “logical”, a lot of insiders and speculators are saying Geno being an upgraded mii costume with a song is now the most “logical” outcome for him.

With how often this collective hive mind of insiders and speculators overthink these kinds of things, it’s almost more reassuring that they think this is gonna happen to Geno now, because then it means he’ll get in as a playable fighter instead! It’s the only logical option! :4pacman:

Sarcasm aside, I don’t think Geno will mii costume’d again, and I agree with similar points plenty of people have made before me. Our boy is safe and in a good position.

Last edited:

Griselda

Smash Lord
G(eno) Is Real 2401.

Yes, I did reanimate just to say that. Back to the cold hell I go.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
so given this, I take it that if Waluigi were to come to fruition, that the Insiders start being more open minded about the characters they hear?
I suppose but, yet another argument I've been using as far back as the summer, the number of prominent names among insiders since 2018 has been really limited. Like I've recapped in this thread over and over again, you basically have like 12 with Master Chief being the latest addition, Nightmare and Ryu getting bullets in the brain in the last month, Geralt being an obvious fake, and characters like Crash and Dante reaching a near fever pitch of prevalence and probability. When it comes to characters that have been seriously talked about, it is quite literally one per company except Square and Namco which is a hell of a coincidence.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I know me and you have butted heads on this topic but I've talked about this in the past. Amongst insiders, "6" was a bonus for the longest time, quite literally until Sakurai said it would be a full pass. One of my guys predicted this but still has no clue who 6 is supposed to be because he heard all the Fire Emblem stuff for it: a TH stage and spirit board, 4 TH Mii costumes, Hollow Knight, and Kris from Deltarune. Obviously, parts of this were wrong. TH stage and spirit board were true, Mii costumes are MIA, and Byleth was playable instead of a Mii costume.

Based on this, I developed my own theory that 6 was originally going to be Ultimate's "Mewtwo." In Smash 4, Mewtwo was originally going to be the only DLC and basically a free gift to the fans as a "thank you" to the fans. My theory is that Nintendo saw the runaway sales numbers for Smash 4 3DS and was like "holy ****... This game prints money..." and then okayed more DLC by the 50 Fact Extravaganza in October 2014. I honestly think this happened again with Smash Ultimate. They knew it was going to sell well but I think many-a-pants were filled when the first sales numbers came out. Again, this is why I think Season 2 was pitched as early as December 2018 and why we got the 16 dummy slots by January 2019.

My theory is that the DLC was originally going to be the Fighter's Pass until sales expectations were completely blown out of the water. This is why I think this is part of why nailing down 6 has been so hard for insiders. 6 was probably a bonus character that then turned into a bonus pack and then ultimately a bonus pass. I know some people have been like "Fatman, STFU..." but I genuinely believe that several bonus characters were already in mind by the time Ultimate's base game came out. This may explain why insiders have been hearing a number of character names since 2018. My theory is that these characters will not only be in Season 2 but will likely be 6 and 7 at the very least.
So Nintendo...
-Dedicates 98% of their 2018 E3 to Ultimate
-Starts work on Ultimate before Smash 4 and DLC was fully done
-Is fully aware that EVERYTHING they say has people trying to connect it to Smash
-Plans DLC before Ultimate even releases
-Promotes games corresponding to the character reveals during 4's development
-Sees every Smash game immediately turn into that console's killer app
-Saw that the DLC was a success
-Has to literally warn people a Smash update will not reveal a new character
-Makes amiibo merchandise that's pretty much associated with Smash.
-Gets flooded with character requests daily, even after stating that the DLC list is locked in
in
-Goes to their direct competition for a playable character from 20 years ago

-Is still taken aback by fan demand and Smash success and surprised enough that they decide to make a second fighter pass.

How? How could they be at ANY point unsure if anything Smash wouldn't be a hit?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Speaking of what insiders consider “logical”, a lot of insiders and speculators are saying Geno being an upgraded mii costume with a song is now the most “logical” outcome for him.

With how often this collective hive mind of insiders and speculators overthink these kinds of things, it’s almost more reassuring that they think this is gonna happen to Geno now, because then it means he’ll get in as a playable fighter instead! It’s the only logical option! :4pacman:

Sarcasm aside, I don’t think Geno will mii costume’d again, and I agree with similar points plenty of people have made before me. Our boy is safe and in a good position.
A reminder that the two premium Mii Fighter costumes we have so far, Sans and Cuphead, are both completely new costumes.

... granted, only two isn't much of a pattern and things could obviously still change with a third (plus, I don't know if any of the other missing costumes besides Geno would be considered for an upgrade), but the fact that we've yet to get a returning Mii Fighter costume upgraded to "premium" status is still something to keep in mind.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So Nintendo...
-Dedicates 98% of their 2018 E3 to Ultimate
-Starts work on Ultimate before Smash 4 and DLC was fully done
-Is fully aware that EVERYTHING they say has people trying to connect it to Smash
-Plans DLC before Ultimate even releases
-Promotes games corresponding to the character reveals during 4's development
-Sees every Smash game immediately turn into that console's killer app
-Saw that the DLC was a success
-Has to literally warn people a Smash update will not reveal a new character
-Makes amiibo merchandise that's pretty much associated with Smash.
-Gets flooded with character requests daily, even after stating that the DLC list is locked in
in
-Goes to their direct competition for a playable character from 20 years ago

-Is still taken aback by fan demand and Smash success and surprised enough that they decide to make a second fighter pass.

How? How could they be at ANY point unsure if anything Smash wouldn't be a hit?
This is the same company that gave Sakurai and Iwata a shoe string budget for the original because, against all logic, they didn't believe a game where Mario, Kirby, and Link could kick the **** out of each other wouldn't be a success. This is the same company that waited until the summer of 2007 to greenlight Sonic for Brawl despite the fact Brawl was due out in December. This is the company that was terrified of greenlighting Smash Amiibo because they didn't think they would sell and they basically only squeaked by because Iwata was so keen on them. Nintendo is an enigma sometimes.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
This is the same company that gave Sakurai and Iwata a shoe string budget for the original because, against all logic, they didn't believe a game where Mario, Kirby, and Link could kick the **** out of each other wouldn't be a success. This is the same company that waited until the summer of 2007 to greenlight Sonic for Brawl despite the fact Brawl was due out in December. This is the company that was terrified of greenlighting Smash Amiibo because they didn't think they would sell and they basically only squeaked by because Iwata was so keen on them. Nintendo is an enigma sometimes.
Same company that still doesn’t have basic voice chat system and is still a pain to connect with friends.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Long post, buckle up.

I see that Lloyd is making the rounds again and I feel like I need to be a debbie downer for a brief minute: Lloyd really doesn't have the strength that Geno has because his only boon is longevity in the community, and to echo shades of Wynn, if that meant anything, he and Geno would already be in. Lloyd's other selling points are happenstance and trademarks that were proven to be for something totally different.

I am in total agreement with Fatman that Ryu was, at best, leakbait for Byleth thanks to Koei Tecmo's involvement with 3 Houses. He's perfect leakbait for two reasons: few fan rosters or fake leaks ever included him until recently, and any mention of Tecmo brings him to mind - he is almost their mascot character. For instance, Fatman says insiders were hearing Ryu in December 2018? Congrats to them, because pretty much every commoner who had heard that Koei Tecmo was making an announcement at TGA 2018 thought for sure the Fighters Pass was about to open with Ryu - myself included. For those who are unaware, the announcement was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

... But Lloyd. I think as recently as December it hit me that the Mii costumes that we're still missing were obviously intentional. Power of six or power of two or whatever you want to roll with, the trend we had for Mii costumes wasn't going to allow every Smash 4 Mii costume to return - consider that even if every pack was supposed to come with 3 returning Mii costumes, we would still be missing one costume, and that's with giving a totally non-Square costume to Hero. Again, there is definitely a reason they took the costumes out that they took out, and I think that reason is to disguise that one of these costumes is going to become a playable character. It's too obvious what they're planning if Geno, Lloyd, and even Heihachi (who Sakurai supposedly tried to make a fighter?) were turned into fighters because their Mii costumes failed to come back.

Byleth, as much as he displeases me, did at least further the cause of theorycraft: There are 6 slots now, and 7 Mii costumes missing (Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, Heihachi, Gil, [Monster] Hunter, Rathalos), which would conveniently allow for every one of these new packs to come with one returning costume... and leave an extra. No guarantee on that and we won't know until we get the first character and their Mii list (which, if it isn't Geno... cheeks clenched.), but it lines up with my idea that we're unfortunately going to have a sacrificial lamb among the costumes (more if you actually wanted Heihachi or... Gil? idk), and thanks to Sakurai's latest Famitsu column, I just don't think Lloyd's gonna make it.

Sakurai once again tries to assure us that Nintendo was twisting his arm, or in the kindest words possible, that he felt like something new should be represented and Fire Emblem just happened to line up (which I call bull on, Nintendo twisted his arm if he doesn't just outright love Fire Emblem). He thinks there's too many Fire Emblem characters (and for a franchise with its impact, I agree) and that there's too many sword characters. Now... I know "sword character" is fighting words. It has become a ****post phrase, but Sakurai has given it the context that most people give it subconsciously - characters whose moveset is entirely sword based.

Let's look at Byleth. Functionally, Byleth is a sword character regardless of what weapon they're holding. Disjoints, bad frame data in exchange, tipper mechanic... Yeah. By that definition, Richter is a sword character too. And Dedede. But you know, we don't hate them or think of them as sword characters because of what they're holding, so in that regard, Sakurai tried to make Byleth less of a sword character. He has a bow, like Link, and even uses it as a melee weapon because he's... not that bright? very creative. He's one of two (1 out of every 4) FE characters to not have a counter on his down B. The overall distaste for Byleth is that he's a Fire Emblem character, at this point, not that he's a swordsman.

Lloyd is in a bad boat, here. If you go back in this thread and find where I said that Lloyd's problem is all the he'll bring is a sword(x2), you'll see that I was never proven wrong. Sure, he has arts that look magical, but they're still sword techniques. His primary weapon is a sword and he uses them exclusively throughout his game, to the point that the moveset wouldn't be able to incorporate other elements and remain true to the character. You can dislike me and disagree with me for this, but I just don't think he stands a chance. In my humble opinion, he's going to be the casualty of this Mii costume coverup and I feel extremely bad for Lloydbros because I'd be upset to think Geno would end up the victim of a long con like that.

Maybe I'll be wrong and both Geno and Lloyd will show up. Maybe I'll be wrong and we'll both be the victims of the long con so that Heihachi can punch with both fists separately. Maybe this meant nothing and none of those characters show. Just doing my best with what we've got, and what we've got smiles on Geno. Pick any other missing costume that has:

Two music tracks copyright removed on YouTube
A text leak that turned out to be right about every costume, with two characters from their game being fresh new Mii costumes that haven't shown up yet.
A video leak with one character from their game being a fresh new Mii costume in action
While I disagree with the whole "If they wanted X they would've already been in the game by now" bit, I agree with basically everything else. I think if we're to get a Namco character, which is extremely likely at the moment, one of these guys will have to be costume'd again, and based on everything else at the moment I think Heihachi certainly has the edge here. While Tales Of is pretty massively popular, Tekken is even massiver, and Heihachi is the massivest character they got.

If we don't get a direct this week, I'm going into goddamn cryo-sleep.
See ya when you wake up!
OptimisticStriferCryo.png

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just want to spread this info around.
To be super blunt and tie into what I talked about earlier, people have their own biases but Sora is given an absurd amount of leeway, even among insiders. This is just another instance of this. Again, compare this to Doom Guy and the difference is night and day. Like I've said, neither character has been seriously talked about among insiders but there's always been this prevailing idea that "oh, if Nintendo were to go out of their way for one third party character, it's Sora. Nintendo probably hasn't tried yet." That's always been the argument. Now we have one of the biggest Western insiders in the industry casting strong doubt, once again, after the brand manager of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts said it wasn't in the cards last year and people are just being told to disregard it once again. I realize Sora is a really popular character but it's basically Megaman in Brawl and Ridley in Smash 4 all over again.

The video honestly hand waves a lot:

-Imran's insight into the industry.

-The fact that Imran outright says Master Chief OR Sora. Doesn't believe both would get into the same game.

-Imran's insight on the difficulty of working with Disney.

-Imran's extremely strong confidence that the conversation happened.

-Imran outright says Master Chief would be the bigger deal and the bigger headline.

This isn't some random guy. This is the former senior editor of the biggest Western gaming publication. Not all opinions and speculation are worth the same. That's why instances like this and Suda with Travis drive me up a wall. You have people with enormous amounts of clout and prestige in the industry personally casting doubt and its just blown off as if they asked some random dude in a Taco Bell. Doom Guy, Travis, and Sora are all in the same boat at this point and that's just the brass tacks of it.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
To be super blunt and tie into what I talked about earlier, people have their own biases but Sora is given an absurd amount of leeway, even among insiders. This is just another instance of this. Again, compare this to Doom Guy and the difference is night and day. Like I've said, neither character has been seriously talked about among insiders but there's always been this prevailing idea that "oh, if Nintendo were to go out of their way for one third party character, it's Sora. Nintendo probably hasn't tried yet." That's always been the argument. Now we have one of the biggest Western insiders in the industry casting strong doubt, once again, after the brand manager of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts said it wasn't in the cards last year and people are just being told to disregard it once again. I realize Sora is a really popular character but it's basically Megaman in Brawl and Ridley in Smash 4 all over again.

-The fact that Imran outright says Master Chief OR Sora. Doesn't believe both would get into the same game.

-Imran outright says Master Chief would be the bigger deal and the bigger headline.

This isn't some random guy. This is the former senior editor of the biggest Western gaming publication. Not all opinions and speculation are worth the same. That's why instances like this and Suda with Travis drive me up a wall. You have people with enormous amounts of clout and prestige in the industry personally casting doubt and its just blown off as if they asked some random dude in a Taco Bell. Doom Guy, Travis, and Sora are all in the same boat at this point and that's just the brass tacks of it.
The funny thing is I bet if V and S were the ones to deconfirm Sora many people online would be way more resigned to it being true.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
OffBi, you're a pretty cool dude, but if there are spoilers being talked about, don't say what they supposedly are if they are being hidden. I was worried someone would say what it was was even though I didn't look, and unfortunately someone did...
I briefly looked at it, it was just Tails flying around. Wasn't really paying attention to dialogue.

Didn’t Sabi call out Tails showing up in the movie in a tweet?
I'd say it'd be more expected that Tails appears in a Sonic movie more than Tails *not* appearing in a Sonic movie.

PS: I really don't care about the movie. Don't even care all that much about Sonic either.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
This, so much this. I don't understand how we have the brand manager who implied even more strongly that Sora wasn't gonna be in but is rarely ever brought up while Doomslayer is essentially treated as off the table after that interview. It's fine if you think both are off the table or if you think neither are but you can't hold up one piece of evidence and ignore another one of similar nature. It feels awfully hypocritical.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The funny thing is I bet if V and S were the ones to deconfirm Sora many people online would be way more resigned to it being true.
I doubt it. Sora's one of those Teflon characters that people insist will be in until Sakurai says the game's done. Again, people were like this with Ridley, Wolf, and Snake in Smash 4. I gave the K. Rool fanbase a lot of crap back in the day but, in hindsight, I respect BKupa666 BKupa666 for basically saying GG when the costume showed up, telling the troops to pack up camp, plan for the next game, and this was a turning around point for how I viewed that fanbase. This is also why I respect the Waluigi fanbase too because, in light of everything, they're keeping their expectations super in check and I don't blame them because even I admit that assist trophy promotions are an enormous obstacle to overcome.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I doubt it. Sora's one of those Teflon characters that people insist will be in until Sakurai says the game's done. Again, people were like this with Ridley, Wolf, and Snake in Smash 4. I gave the K. Rool fanbase a lot of crap back in the day but, in hindsight, I respect BKupa666 BKupa666 for basically saying GG when the costume showed up, telling the troops to pack up camp, plan for the next game, and this was a turning around point for how I viewed that fanbase. This is also why I respect the Waluigi fanbase too because, in light of everything, they're keeping their expectations super in check and I don't blame them because even I admit that assist trophy promotions are an enormous obstacle to overcome.
You mean like Geno.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
You mean like Geno.
But Sora has zero evidence (at least AFAIK). Geno has his costume mysteriously missing and 2 SMRPG songs that were copyright taken down, by Nintendo, and nothing's happened with either of these things.

Idk, the two are night and day different to me. Geno's like an 80% chance to me while Sora is ~5% because !@#$ Diva Disney.

waterhasataste

Smash Journeyman
So I realized I ended up missing Fatmanonice big Geno essay ;-;

Not sure if it'd be too much of a hassle, but was wondering if someone could link me it

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You mean like Geno.
Except the total opposite if we're brutally honest. Like this thread had pointed out time and time again, anything good about Geno is disregarded and anything "bad" is made a 100 times worse. The Mii costume being MIA? Oh, that's bad and, not only that, it's undeniable evidence that Geno's coming as a "Premium costume ™." Geno wasn't in the base game therefore he's not in. Sakurai himself basically burying Geno in praise? Well, that was 4 years ago and therefore doesn't count despite the fact that Smash Ultimate literally began development as soon as Smash 4 ended. I could go on and on.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
But Sora has zero evidence (at least AFAIK). Geno has his costume mysteriously missing and 2 SMRPG songs that were copyright taken down, by Nintendo, and nothing's happened with either of these things.

Idk, the two are night and day different to me. Geno's like an 80% chance to me while Sora is ~5% because !@#$ Diva Disney.
I feel like so many of Sora's arguments for being in just boil down to "He's relevant and popular" and while it obviously doesn't hurt to be more popular, Sakurai literally had to look us in the eyes and say that neither of those things are very important when deciding a character. This doesn't mean that all more well known characters are unlikely but it also means people shouldn't lean on them so heavily when theorizing what character is coming next.

Last edited:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Except the total opposite if we're brutally honest. Like this thread had pointed out time and time again, anything good about Geno is disregarded and anything "bad" is made a 100 times worse. The Mii costume being MIA? Oh, that's bad and, not only that, it's undeniable evidence that Geno's coming as a "Premium costume ™." Geno wasn't in the base game therefore he's not in. Sakurai himself basically burying Geno in praise? Well, that was 4 years ago and therefore doesn't count despite the fact that Smash Ultimate literally began development as soon as Smash 4 ended. I could go on and on.
The two copyright takedown songs? OH WELL NINTENDO JUST DOES THAT ALL THE TIME.

I feel like so many of Sora's arguments for being in just boil down to "He's relevant and popular" and while it obviously doesn't hurt to be more popular, Sakurai literally had to look us in the eyes and say that neither of things things are very important when deciding a character. This doesn't mean that all more well known characters are unlikely but it also means people shouldn't lean on them so heavily when theorizing what character is coming next.
Did he actually say that? I'd say popularity and fan demand are vitally important. Banjo wouldn't be in if it weren't for that. 1st party characters like Ridley I feel like would have eventually come though. But yeah, that is truly all Sora has going for him. He's popular and asked frequently. Nothing else. No evidence of it in any way.

Meanwhile, Geno's got a decent amount of evidence and it's like NAH HE'S COMING BACK AS A COSTUME AGAIN. That's totally *possible*, but he's way more likely to be a fighter in FP2.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Did he actually say that? I'd say popularity and fan demand are vitally important. Banjo wouldn't be in if it weren't for that. 1st party characters like Ridley I feel like would have eventually come though. But yeah, that is truly all Sora has going for him. He's popular and asked frequently. Nothing else. No evidence of it in any way
I was referencing the quote from the Terry presentation where he said being recognizable was pretty unimportant. I probably should have specified more I was referring to the fact that Sora is a modern and recognizable character doesn't make him more likely and less that fan demand doesn't make him more likely.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

B-but I want Sora so I don’t care! Also, I can’t fathom Cacomallow being real!

DaxMasterix

Smash Lord
Also the Sora News aren't that "News".
Sora without Goofy or Donald in the final smash, or without the little mickey mouse on the Keyblade isn't Sora at all.
Yeah surely those claims doens't kill his chances but, Disney does.

Now let's go back to Geno again.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Let me make this clear, if it was us on the receiving end of Imran Khan's deconfirmation the other day, everyone would treat us as dead in the water no matter what.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I feel like so many of Sora's arguments for being in just boil down to "He's relevant and popular" and while it obviously doesn't hurt to be more popular, Sakurai literally had to look us in the eyes and say that neither of things things are very important when deciding a character. This doesn't mean that all more well known characters are unlikely but it also means people shouldn't lean on them so heavily when theorizing what character is coming next.
The arguments made are almost verbatim for the ones that people made for Megaman in Brawl and Snake in Smash 4. I say this as someone who literally made these arguments for Megaman for Brawl. "Oh, they're so popular, there's no way they won't make it." "Oh, Capcom itself says it won't happen? They're probably just kidding." Every Smash game this happens. Hell, it even happened with Melee. "What? No Goroh? No Ridley? No Wolf? Nintendo lied to us!" No they didn't... Once again, this is in light of the crippling irony that there's usually at least one random person who comes into this thread at week that tells us to lower our expectations over literally no new developments. Geno's situation has basically been static since he wasn't in Hero's pack and yet this still routinely happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom