• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of casual picks versus Smash fan picks, my confidence in Geno also stems from the simple reality that Ultimate has the most Smash fan picks of any Smash game since Brawl. Not to specifically promote anything, not to do a victory lap for successful games between the current Smash game and the last, pure fan picks. Basically characters that largely got added because Smash fans wanted them.

Brawl had:

-Metaknight
-Pit
-Wario
-Ike
-Diddy
-Sonic
-King Dedede
-Wolf

Ultimate has:

-Uh, everyone back including characters that had very little reason to like Young Link and Pichu
-Ridley
-Daisy
-Simon
-Richter (Sakurai said he was added to please Castlevania fans)
-Chrom
-Dark Samus
-K. Rool
-Ken (same reason as Richter except Street Fighter)
-Banjo

Again, this doesn't include characters like Inkling that have a good amount of crossover with the casual fans.
Sorry this is a late response, but I have some questions. What would be the point of saving so many Mii costumes for another wave that you end up with a dump of unrelated costumes? Is it really better to just have a dump now instead of later? And if they had Microsoft costumes planned, surely they would have at least included one or two with Banjo. Especially since if Microsoft costumes were planned, some were likely from Banjo Kazooie. Also, what is the explanation for why Byleth ended up with the extra MegaMan costumes? I thought the idea was that Banjo was going to have all four, but two were saved for another Capcom rep in the next wave. Why would they remove costumes from one challenger pack just to put them in another challenger pack in the same wave? Let alone a character in the same wave unrelated to the costumes in any way, even thematically.
-The point of a dump is to get rid of excess. The purpose of the dumps seems to be to do this and put out Mii costumes for companies that won't have playable reps.

-Byleth got the Megaman costumes because, for whatever reason, they have only been bringing back the Smash 4 Mii costumes in pairs. Again, excess. They're pacing this out and we coincidentally now have only 3 Namco, 2 Square Enix, and 2 Capcom costumes left.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I've been gone for a bit; are we back on the Geno Mii costume thing?

Anyone thinking Geno's getting his Sm4sh Mii costume back or an upgraded one: Why the hell wouldn't they have put that in with the Hero DLC pack, along with other returning SE Mii costumes? It doesn't add up; there's no way in hell he's coming back as a Mii costume, unless they were saving him for a second SE character in FP2. That said though, why save him? He'd be a freaking Mii costume. What, are we supposed to be surprised and gasp in awe that we got shafted twice (3 times if you count Brawl when he was *supposed* to be playable)? I'm sure Sakurai is aware that making him a Mii costume yet again would not be a "consolation prize" and would instead prompt disappointment from the fans, and backlash from the extreme ones.

If Geno's getting a Mii costume (which I honestly and truly doubt is happening), it would absolutely be an upgraded one at this point, released with a second SE character in FP2, otherwise, he will either be playable or simply not being upgraded past his Spirit. His Sm4sh costume is not coming back because it would have been pushed alongside Hero and other returning Sm4sh SE costumes. It would be the most ******** move ever to push his Sm4sh costume in this late.

TL;DR:
- (Most Likely) Geno is playable. This is why the Sm4sh costume (and no new premium one) was AWOL from Hero's pack.
- (Possibly Likely) No new Geno content is coming. He will remain as a Spirit and nothing more.
- (Very Unlikely, But Still In The Realm Of Possible) Geno's getting a premium Mii costume like Sans and Cuphead, along with a music track or two, alongside a 2nd SE character. [Also, people saying "only Indies get premium Mii costumes", let's not make yet another new fan rule, okay? Anything can happen, even something sucky like this]
- (I Would Do Something Insane If This Happened Because Of How Impossibly Unlikely It Is) Geno's Sm4sh Mii costume is returning alongside a 2nd SE character.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's truly striking when you're coming across a Spec Ad made for Nintendo, something designed to represent the heart and message that the Nintendo brand stands for, and guess who's costume they chose:

I swear every day I see more and more evidence that the only thing holding back Geno and SMRPG from a skyrocketing return to relevance is the company who sits on them, It's surreal.
I can't tell if my mind is playing games with me or not, but is that a Geno doll behind the bushes around 0:01?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My two cents on whether or not Geno could be a Mii Fighter costume again: It's clear that Sakurai wants to make Geno playable. There's enough fan demand to justify making Geno playable. I doubt Nintendo would have any issues with making Geno playable. So the only big obstacle I see that would keep Geno from being playable... is Square Enix.

Now where am I going with this? Well, Mii Fighter costume DLC only costs 75 cents, whereas a full DLC Fighter Pack costs about $6... now I admit, I've no idea how big of a share third-party companies get from those purchases, but I would assume they get more from the latter. Which would mean, in the process of making Geno playable, Square Enix would have to make a decision: do they insist that Geno stay a Mii Fighter costume and only make a little bit of money from the DLC, or do they give the go-ahead to Sakurai on making Geno playable and make more money from his inclusion than they would through him staying as a costume?

Basically, Geno could end up still being a Mii Fighter costume... but it would require Square Enix being exceptionally stubborn and willing to throw away potential profit because they for some reason don't want Geno to be playable, despite his inclusion arguably being beneficial to all parties involved without any requiring any effort on Square Enix's part.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What are we talking about exactly; Bodyframe, skeleton, or guns?
It has something to do with a visual bug when attacking. So maybe it involves something with the character changing form.

2B seems to be someone that fits a template for Bayo as well as Dante. I can't see how Bayonetta would ever work as a base for Geno.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Genuinely mad right now but I wanted to put this out there. If I share literally anything with you in private and specifically tell you to not share it, please respect that. This isn't an issue for you all but I woke up this morning to find a bunch of messages that someone from Forest Maze yet again leaked some of my DMs from mid December. On that note, I appreciate the hell out of you guys. You all are cool and haven't leaked anything I've shared. Some of you have been confidants for over a year and not a single thing has come from you all. People who say Geno fans are the worst can honestly go **** themselves.

You all are cool. On that note, if I can trust people like Nessdeltarune and Burb with private info despite being some of my biggest critics, that says a lot if you go around leaking stuff. That's right... People who have openly mocked me and been involved in raids have ironically been more trust worthy confidants than the two Forest Maze leakers the past month. If that's not a total damnation, I don't know what is. I hope not to make a post like this again but I'm putting it out there, betray my trust, I'll publicly drag your ass for it.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

MattX20

Smash Hero
Genuinely mad right now but I wanted to put this out there. If I share literally anything with you in private and specifically tell you to not share it, please respect that. This isn't an issue for you all but I woke up this morning to find a bunch of messages that someone from Forest Maze yet again leaked some of my DMs from mid December. On that note, I appreciate the hell out of you guys. You all are cool and haven't leaked anything I've shared. Some of you have been confidants for over a year and not a single thing has come from you all. People who say Geno fans are the worst can honestly go **** themselves.

You all are cool. On that note, if I can trust people like Nessdeltarune and Burb with private info despite being some of my biggest critics, that says a lot if you go around leaking stuff. That's right... People who have openly mocked me and been involved in raids have ironically been more trust worthy confidants than the two Forest Maze leakers the past month. If that's not a total damnation, I don't know what is. I hope not to make a post like this again but I'm putting it out there, betray my trust, I'll publicly drag your ass for it.
That sucks, Fatman. Hope those guys don't get away with any more shenanigans like this.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
I'm sorry to hear about people breaking your trust and going on their word Fatmanonice Fatmanonice .

...on the bright side, I found this. This guy has gotten stuff right (we've talked about him before) and he is seemingly backing up stuff you've been hinting at for a bit now (regarding what Nintendo has in store for 2020). "Niche and RPG's..."
(Also, he hinted at that "tires" game S*** recently hinted that months ago.) Definitely keeping an eye on this guy. Thoughts?
20200202_083632.jpg

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm sorry to hear about people breaking your trust and going on their word Fatmanonice Fatmanonice .

...on the bright side, I found this. This guy has gotten stuff right (we've talked about him before) and he is seemingly backing up stuff you've been hinting at for a bit now (regarding what Nintendo has in store for 2020). "Niche and RPG's..."
(Also, he hinted at that "tires" game S*** recently hinted that months ago.) Definitely keeping an eye on this guy. Thoughts?
View attachment 260677
... I plead the Fifth...

Lyncario

Smash Ace

View attachment 260677
Niche and rpg? Could it finaly be that time? Will we finaly get gameplay for SMTV?

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

View attachment 260677
I'm praying for a new Project X Zone game...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
More than likely it’s the Paper Mario announcement
Um... I'm just going to go ahead and say that if we're right and talking about the same thing... He's not talking about Paper Mario specifically. They may wind up being one of the announcements but, remember, this guy has been outwardly teasing Paper Mario since November. This is different. This is potentially "the Big One ™" and leave it at that.

AdamBel731 AdamBel731 I was making a joke. We probably are both talking about the same thing/s.

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Um... I'm just going to go ahead and say that if we're right and talking about the same thing... He's not talking about Paper Mario specifically. They may wind up being one of the announcements but, remember, this guy has been outwardly teasing Paper Mario since November. This is different. This is potentially "the Big One ™" and leave it at that.

AdamBel731 AdamBel731 I was making a joke. We probably are both talking about the same thing/s.
Still genuinely confused what the big one actually is. Like I feel its pretty obvious what franchise but what that entails is...weird for a bunch of reasons.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Still genuinely confused what the big one actually is. Like I feel its pretty obvious what franchise but what that entails is...weird for a bunch of reasons.
Honestly, it's potentially one of two things and both would be massive announcements. It's one of those situations that I could outright say it (but forever be a terrible person in the process) and virtually no one would believe me (but what else is new? Amirite lads or amirite?).

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Oh I didn’t know this dude had already teased PM separately. I think I get what you’re referring to lol :ultness::ultlucas: (or at least that’s what my clueless guess for what “The Big One” is)

Last edited:

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been doing a little thinking, I wanted to imagine what Geno's reveal would look like from the prespective of someone who didn't really want his inclusion, let's say Geno is FP6 for this hypothetical.

Not only would you still have 5 whole characters left, and new playable content in Smash, but starting the pass with GENO would most likely make one think, "Are they doing mostly fan picks?!" which would maybe get them hyped for a prepurchase of the pass.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Honestly, it's potentially one of two things and both would be massive announcements. It's one of those situations that I could outright say it (but forever be a terrible person in the process) and virtually no one would believe me (but what else is new? Amirite lads or amirite?).
Does this Big One leak involve Geno? Intrigue rising....

MattX20

Smash Hero
You guys recall how the Mii Swordfighter served as a base for taller characters like the DQ heroes? What if the same logic worked the other way with Bayonetta working as a base for a shorter character like Geno? As proven by the DQ heroes initial datamined stats claiming they were the same height as Ness/Lucas, who's to say that it couldn't be possible?

Last edited:

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120

Sorry to hear Fatman, and I agree. Everyone here in this smash boards are really great people and I genuinely believe that.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
One thing I hope the Geno fans don't do if Geno gets added as fully playable is go around to detractors of any degree and throw stupid guilt trip 'counterarguments' if they complain about Geno.

'Oh, you don't like Geno? Well, Sakurai did alot work on this game so you are ungrateful and spoiled and hate the man. Plus, 5 more characters are coming, you spoiled person. Remember when he got death threats? Wow, this whole entire Smash community is awful.'

T2by4

Smash Lord

Damn I usually lurk everywhere and haven't been able to find it. Idk if you quickly purged it or not but it seems off the radar for now. I don't see anywhere else reporting on this supposed leak.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I hope we do get the direct this week, the rumor dam is beginning to burst, and fatman’s the big one has my curiosity peaked. Would love a new Mario rpg of any kind, as most of the recent ones were either meh, or Re releases. Maybe if a certain puppet boi came back too....

Paper Mario: Mario RPG 2, Return of Smithy. Sounds pretty good to me.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
... I plead the Fifth...
Man your silence is pretty deafening, NGL. Also I know I've BARELY been here, but so sorry that happened. Also, as much as I'd love to hear this info of yours, that is absolutely not the way to go about doing it, and shame on people who can't keep their mouths shut.

I don't know if I love or hate you for pulling stuff like this! DX I wish that ****ing direct would happen already!

Craziest thing that's relevant to people here: SMRPG remake/remaster. Not only would this be amazing, but it would also make Geno an all-but-official surefire lock for Smash.

But there's obviously NO WAY it would be something like that... right?

More than likely it’s the Paper Mario announcement
Probably, but what if NSO adds SMRPG to the SNES collection? That said, I wouldn't really call SMRPG nor PM a "niche" title/series. Geno is more "niche" when it comes to Smash picks considering he's only been in one game back in the 90s (and another as a tiny cameo that got removed in a "remaster"). I doubt he's coming as DLC 6 but still, those games are not "niche". If you think those are niche, that speaks huge volumes about Earthbound in the West, even though the Mother series (especially 2/3) is now a treasured trilogy among fans even in the West. THAT was a niche game back in the 90s. That said, I do like the sound of that tweet if that person is credible.

I hope we do get the direct this week, the rumor dam is beginning to burst, and fatman’s the big one has my curiosity peaked. Would love a new Mario rpg of any kind, as most of the recent ones were either meh, or Re releases. Maybe if a certain puppet boi came back too....

Paper Mario: Mario RPG 2, Return of Smithy. Sounds pretty good to me.
I didn't play it, but I heard the last time they mashed up 2 Mario RPG series, it didn't go too well. Granted that was in the age of post-Dream Team (M&L) and Sticker Star (PM); both series had just gotten bad entries, so if there was a return to form, I could see this potentially working, IF they chill with the ****ing paper puns and jokes. It was just a fun aesthetic at first and now they've gone full, obnoxious, attempts at memes and "jokes" that it comes across as annoying.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord

"The big one"

Big one in general or big one for "us" (geno fans)

Polarthief

Smash Lord
"The big one"

Big one in general or big one for "us" (geno fans)
Could always be both. A remake of SMRPG would be both and also get Geno in Smash as the closest damn thing to a lock I can think of.

Well, "both" for Geno fans and fans of the Mario RPG games.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Damn I usually lurk everywhere and haven't been able to find it. Idk if you quickly purged it or not but it seems off the radar for now. I don't see anywhere else reporting on this supposed leak.
Basically an army of mods jumped on it and the person in question was reprimanded by like half a dozen people including me. It was nothing super big but everyone agreed, openly sharing DMs to literally troll me was a super ****ty thing to do. On the upside, it was yet another testimony that I had heard Cuphead as early as mid December so their plan to share it to discredit me basically backfired.

T2by4

Smash Lord
If this bayonetta thing is true, isn't it usually projected for a further date. I remember the duck hunt banjo thing was a couple of months for it to come to reality. I doubt it's for FP6 if it's for this upcoming direct.

Basically an army of mods jumped on it and the person in question was reprimanded by like half a dozen people including me. It was nothing super big but everyone agreed, openly sharing DMs to literally troll me was a super ****ty thing to do. On the upside, it was yet another testimony that I had heard Cuphead as early as mid December so their plan to share it to discredit me basically backfired.
Gotcha. Kinda sad to hear I missed it, but good on mods for keeping things secure for the public.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom