• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I guess I can understand removing Ring Fit Trainer from the predictions made by Walmart Canada, even though I would like to see that character as playable in Smash Bros. Ultimate. I am not the only one who wants such a character, am I?
Sakurai adds Ring Fit Adventurer and during her presentation is shown working out. While calling us every day pizza eaters and selling us on the importance of working out and staying healthy. While demonstrating her moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sakurai adds Ring Fit Adventurer and during her presentation is shown working out. While calling us sweat hogs and selling us on the importance of working out and staying healthy. While demonstrating her moveset.
LOL I actually like that idea! Sounds like something that could have been done with Wii Fit Trainer.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think is the likelyhood that the 2nd pass will be similar to the first? As in, one to two fan picks with the rest being characters not really being super popular or highly requested. I am afraid this will be the case and it is certainly possible. I hope to god this pass will focus more on Smash fan requests.

D

Deleted member

LOL I actually like that idea! Sounds like something that could have been done with Wii Fit Trainer.
Haha yeah I know he'd never do that. I nean it'd be hilarious but privably nit. Honestly I do think the Ring Fit Adventurer will happen someday probably not in Fighter pass 2 but someday.

To Awnserr RatPrime's question I think it's a real possibility that happens. I'm not sure 100% but we'll see. I'm okay if it happens but if it all was fan picks couldn't ask for anything better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarthief

Smash Lord
I guess I can understand removing Ring Fit Trainer from the predictions made by Walmart Canada, even though I would like to see that character as playable in Smash Bros. Ultimate. I am not the only one who wants such a character, am I?
I'm not saying to remove them because they're bad, I'm saying remove them because I don't see them working as paid DLC. Free bonus like Plant or just a free Echo Fighter (kinda) of WFT being way more likely than a full on DLC pack. I wouldn't be mad, but RFT would feel like a wasted slot, especially when there are older characters, even important to gaming history, that are still not there, or underrepresented series that definitely deserve more love (looks over at poor Kirby and Zelda).

What do you guys think is the likelyhood that the 2nd pass will be similar to the first? As in, one to two fan picks with the rest being characters not really being super popular or highly requested.
TBH after Byleth, I'm kinda hoping more requested picks, or at least one that doesn't directly antagonize the playerbase. Nintendo/Sakurai are aware of the bad taste another FE rep puts in peoples' mouths. "TOO MANY SWORDSMEN?"

Also crazy idea that I know won't happen but if we got a third AC rep like Tom Nook, how mad do you think people would be? Not an echo of either Villager nor Isabelle, but a full new character (I'm still low-key salty towards Isabelle for usurping ol Nook's spot). Like I said, doubt it would happen, but he does have the advertising pick angle working for him considering AC:NH launches in under 2 months and it seems that Nook is more involved in this one than just being a storeowner/house-seller. Tiny tiny chance, but still a chance nonetheless?

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm not saying to remove them because they're bad, I'm saying remove them because I don't see them working as paid DLC. Free bonus like Plant or just a free Echo Fighter (kinda) of WFT being way more likely than a full on DLC pack. I wouldn't be mad, but RFT would feel like a wasted slot, especially when there are older characters, even important to gaming history, that are still not there, or underrepresented series that definitely deserve more love (looks over at poor Kirby and Zelda).
Yeah, I can see what you mean. Still, I believe personally that on the opposite sense of what you said, they can work as paid DLC. I see potential for Ring Fit Trainer to be different enough to not be an echo of Wii Fit Trainer. Even though there may be better characters, I still think Ring Fit Trainer can work in a Fighter's Pass like this.

I don't necessarily think they will happen in this pass, though, if at all.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Yeah, I can see what you mean. Still, I believe personally that on the opposite sense of what you said, they can work as paid DLC. I see potential for Ring Fit Trainer to be different enough to not be an echo of Wii Fit Trainer. Even though there may be better characters, I still think Ring Fit Trainer can work in a Fighter's Pass like this.
It's more of a "does anyone want this?" kind of issue I see, and characters like those, idk, generally better for base, not expecting people to pay on top of them.

Also for anyone who cares, I just realized I never did the "grade the FP1 characters" thing, so I'm gonna do it with a bonus grade based on how they play (now that Byleth is out and I can play them), because I'm weird and different (also first grade is based on the character itself, their reveal, and my initial first reactions to it all thrown together).

Joker (reveal & character): B+. I barely know of Persona so I wasn't too thrilled for him, but he did add a ton of speculation because it was such an "out there" kind of character. Plus the way he was revealed was excellent, as well as the trailer itself. Such a shame it led to an embarrassingly disappointing Game Awards in 2019 for Nintendo fans though.
Joker (playstyle): A+. I love him. Easily one of my mains when he came out.

Hero (reveal & character): C. Huge in Japan I know, but the second I saw him, I was just disappointed it wasn't Banjo, though that's more or less the fault of leakers. Was very salty at the time, super biased I know; I don't mind it now, obviously. Thoughts for me can be significantly different between reveal and after the information has been digested. This one, I wasn't quite PapaGenos fake angry, but I was just pretty crushed at the time. Again though, the meh grade is *purely* because of my feelings during the reveal, but I'm glad Hero's in. They deserve it (also my favorite of the four is hamster dude. I don't know his name, don't remember which DQ he's from, all I know is he's got a bandana and a hamster. I really need to give DQ a try).
Hero (playstyle): A-. I like him. He's fun, just wish the DownB menu was up near the action, not super far away. Made even worse in matches with many people.

Banjo & Kazooie (reveal & character): S. Not much else to say. Totally recovered my bad vibes from getting excited to disappointed for a character I didn't care for. Also my #2 pick (just behind Geno). That said, I feel like the trailer would have been better if the Jiggy was significantly sped up, because it kinda took the suspense out of who it was before they were revealed (on top of Duck Hunt also pretending to be them), but still, I'm biased, so of course I'm giving them the highest grade.
Banjo & Kazooie (playstyle): A. I think I enjoy Joker slightly better, but I "main" BK just because it's BK.

Terry (reveal & character): C+. "Who?" was my first thought. The trailer was cute though and if you knew the characters, kept you in suspense who it was gonna be for awhile. Also came with the reveal of additional DLC, nice!
Terry (playstyle): (initial thoughts) B-. I haven't played Terry enough to really get a feel for how much I like him, truth be told, but he seems neat. Really need to play him more sometime, but man those directional inputs, bleh.

Byleth (reveal & character): D-. I wasn't even as upset as I was with Hero, but for Byleth, I cracked a ton of "this has to be japes, right?" throughout the whole trailer. By far the most disappointing, clearly also for the vocal parts of the Smash community. Some people love them, but many people were just upset. I'm still a touch upset, but hey, we have 6 more coming, and what's important, is how a character plays. Speaking of...
Byleth (playstyle): (initial thoughts) B. They're slow. Very very slow, but man if DownB doesn't feel AMAZING when you get a hit, especially if it breaks a shield or gets a kill (which it should often when it connects). Also loving the NeutB bow. Idk, I just really enjoy powerful specials. It's what drove me to enjoy KKR in base for so long.

Total (reveals & characters): B-. Overall, it's not bad. Could be better, but not bad. Reactions were all over the place. Characters were mostly ones I didn't know too well or didn't care about, but Banjo & Kazooie really boosted the pass for me. If Banjo wasn't in it, I'd probably be overall disappointed.
Total (playstyles): A-. They're fun! Not a single character I really disliked playing. I still haven't played Terry and Byleth enough to really know for sure though, but yeah. All of them play pretty differently and I enjoy them all to an extent, which is great. If FP2 is like this, even if it's full of characters I don't know or care about, I'll at least have this to look forward to.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Advertising pick != shill pick, at least not IMO. Shill is when there could have been a much better choice (i.e., Byleth/house leaders)
Honestly, Byleth was the best choice if we were ever gonna get a 3H rep. You could argue for Byleth to be a PKMN styled character with the house leaders being its "Pokemon", (something I personally pushed for) but having Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude by themself would not only cause controversy within the Smash Bros community but also the Fire Emblem fanbase (if you only knew how two certain fanbases go against each other while the third just sitting in a corner and eating popcorn.)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was joking about Google theory saying I prefer ask jebes theory, and I just found out that ask jebes doesn't exist anymore

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
pinshadow pinshadow Hey brother, saw your message about Waluigi and just wanted to let you know that I'm going to explain my reasoning in the Waluigi thread later. The mods have asked me to avoid my big character analysises in this thread if they don't involve Geno or aren't super general so I'm going to try to respect that.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
pinshadow pinshadow Hey brother, saw your message about Waluigi and just wanted to let you know that I'm going to explain my reasoning in the Waluigi thread later. The mods have asked me to avoid my big character analysises in this thread if they don't involve Geno or aren't super general so I'm going to try to respect that.
Give us a link when you do, yeah?

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So I know this doesn't mean much but the SNES controllers are back in stock on Nintendo's website, despite still saying "This item is currently unavailable. Please check back for more news in January 2020". Some were speculating that there might be actual "news" (i.e., a direct or more SNES NSO games) in January as a result, but that clearly went nowhere. Seems weird to word it as "news" when it's just back in stock without any word, unless we get an announcement today for a direct tomorrow (the chance of which is probably 0%).

Now if only it came with more NSO games and SMRPG was on that list... Then again, there was speculation regarding Arle in Smash (especially from PapaGenos) since the West got Puyo Puyo (in Japanese) over Kirby's Avalanche. Still confused on why that is so unless it was to get the West more conditioned to Arle. Why put a game they can't even read on NSO? Seems like such an odd choice.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Unfortunate that Grant’s one cheeky comment is being taken as a lazy excuse to completely discount every dev who says their character isn’t in.
Which honestly drives me up a wall because Grant Kirkhope is a free lance composer. He does not own the Banjo Kazooie IP outside of music. There's a huge difference between someone like him and, you know, the brand manager of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts saying that Sora isn't coming to Smash or Suda himself of Suda 51 saying Travis isn't coming.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Which honestly drives me up a wall because Grant Kirkhope is a free lance composer. He does not own the Banjo Kazooie IP outside of music. There's a huge difference between someone like him and, you know, the brand manager of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts saying that Sora isn't coming to Smash or Suda himself of Suda 51 saying Travis isn't coming.
So you are implying is that CacaMallow is dead concidering the recent interview?

Last edited:

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Cool, thanks man.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
So you are implying is that CacaMallow is dead concidering the recent interview?
What's weird is that unless there's an unconfirmed leak (like CacoMallow), I sorta take what they say at face value. I still do believe CacoMallow is real despite DG being "deconfirmed", but for the other deconfirms, I do believe those unless something comes up for those characters too.

It's a weird situation, almost like they should just say nothing at this point. Grant muddied the water for anyone saying their character isn't in now.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What do you guys think is the likelyhood that the 2nd pass will be similar to the first? As in, one to two fan picks with the rest being characters not really being super popular or highly requested. I am afraid this will be the case and it is certainly possible. I hope to god this pass will focus more on Smash fan requests.
I think one character will be a highly requested character like Geno or Crash and one will be a promotional Nintendo pick like a Sword & Shield Pokemon rep. The rest will probably be characters from franchises that Sakurai had great experiences with in the past. So yeah, I think the 2nd Pass will almost parallel the first one.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think Cacodemon is still possible as a Mii costume but I haven't ever really been a strong believer of playable Doom Slayer anyways. Either way, it's kind of irrelevant to Geno's chances. If true, it's just a nice little bonus but, like my big ass Geno essay explained, Geno's chances hardly live and die by Cacomallow. It's neat and that's about it. It could be confirmed fake literally today and I'd still be telling people I'm expecting Geno to be 7 and at least one of our E3 reveals this year.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it seems to be a point in favour of Geno.

EDIT: The tweet's been removed for some reason, but it showed that the spirits of Hilda and Dimitri from The Legend of Zelda had been renamed to add in their series name after their name.

The developers can, and have, renamed spirits, so they could rename the current Geno spirit "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" and refer to a potential fighter spirit as "Geno (Super Smash Bros.)" if needed. I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it seems like a strong sign that a character being a spirit isn't a barrier to them being playable. (it's not official proof, but there's no official proof either way, and stuff like this is all that we have to go on since Piranha Plant was, by all appearances, planned for the base game (getting a Palutena Guidance when no other DLC character did; getting an amiibo with the base game characters when other DLC amiibos haven't been announced), most of the Fighters Pass was third party characters, and Three Houses wasn't released when Smash Ultimate came out)

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Not necessarily, since, as we saw with byleth, a company can have a mii costume without having any brand reps in the game. (I'm looking at you, Altair)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think Cacodemon is still possible as a Mii costume but I haven't ever really been a strong believer of playable Doom Slayer anyways. Either way, it's kind of irrelevant to Geno's chances. If true, it's just a nice little bonus but, like my big ass Geno essay explained, Geno's chances hardly live and die by Cacomallow. It's neat a It could be confirmed fake literally today and I'd still be telling people I'm expecting Geno to be 7 and at least one of our E3 reveals this year.
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but it seems to be a point in favour of Geno.

The developers can, and have, renamed spirits, so they could rename the current Geno spirit "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" and refer to a potential fighter spirit as "Geno (Super Smash Bros.)" if needed. I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it seems like a strong sign that a character being a spirit isn't a barrier to them being playable. (it's not official proof, but there's no official proof either way, and stuff like this is all that we have to go on since Piranha Plant was, by all appearances, planned for the base game, most of the Fighters Pass was third party characters, and Three Houses wasn't released when Smash Ultimate came out)
Bringing this up against people who say "spirits deconfirm" be like:

giphy (4).gif

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace

The developers can, and have, renamed spirits, so they could rename the current Geno spirit "Geno (Super Mario RPG)" and refer to a potential fighter spirit as "Geno (Super Smash Bros.)" if needed. I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it seems like a strong sign that a character being a spirit isn't a barrier to them being playable. (it's not official proof, but there's no official proof either way, and stuff like this is all that we have to go on since Piranha Plant was, by all appearances, planned for the base game, most of the Fighters Pass was third party characters, and Three Houses wasn't released when Smash Ultimate came out)
See, I don't think you understand. If spirits deconfirm, then my fighter is more likely than some other people's, meaning that I can say my fighter is basically confirmed to dunk on other people for wanting something different than me.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I think Cacodemon is still possible as a Mii costume but I haven't ever really been a strong believer of playable Doom Slayer anyways. Either way, it's kind of irrelevant to Geno's chances. If true, it's just a nice little bonus but, like my big ass Geno essay explained, Geno's chances hardly live and die by Cacomallow. It's neat a It could be confirmed fake literally today and I'd still be telling people I'm expecting Geno to be 7 and at least one of our E3 reveals this year.
Not necessarily, since, as we saw with byleth, a company can have a mii costume without having any brand reps in the game. (I'm looking at you, Altair)
First and foremost. I don¨t think Geno lives or dies with that leak. With that said, why would they grab a Cacademon outfit when they haven¨t even bothered (According to the interview) talk about getting Doomguy? If Cacademon is brought up, Doomguy should be brought up during those talks.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Regardless of the recent events regarding the potential possibility of Spirit name changes if the developers wish, people will still say it deconfirms a character. Any of you run into a fellow on Youtube by the name of Thunder Productions? I have and that guy is dead set on Spirits deconfirming characters and he thinks you should be too. He goes into literally every video that's about Spirits or Assist Trophies being upgraded or Smash videos in general that are about Spirit or Assist Trophy characters. The guy engages on to everyone in the comments section that doesn't agree with him.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Man, there are these tiny little bread crumbs just piling up for Geno. And now this big crumb appears before us. As the days go on, I feel more confident.

Thanks for the share Mega!

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Bringing this up against people who say "spirits deconfirm" be like:
I personally believe that spirits and costumes added in FP1 (especially later in FP1) do deconfirm for FP2, similarly to how base stuff deconfirmed FP1 stuff. If they were gonna be made playable, why add them in this fashion to the DLC packs?

But anything in base game, including assist trophies, are totally possible to be playable in FP2 IMO. Just don't expect Sans, Cuphead, Altair, or Mega Man X.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Regardless of the recent events regarding the potential possibility of Spirit name changes if the developers wish, people will still say it deconfirms a character. Any of you run into a fellow on Youtube by the name of Thunder Productions? I have and that guy is dead set on Spirits deconfirming characters and he thinks you should be too. He goes into literally every video that's about Spirits or Assist Trophies being upgraded or Smash videos in general that are about Spirit or Assist Trophy characters. The guy engages on to everyone in the comments section that doesn't agree with him.
So, he focuses on Assists and Spirits, and gets on the case of those who do not agree with him. Bleh! What a waste of time and mental focusing, if you ask me.

Still, you are right when you say some people will still say Spirits disconfirm. No surprise there.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

So you say it is a chance :O (crossing fingers for both Astral Chain and Geno)

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
This is what I'm afraid of. I know Fatman has been saying it'll be a crazy year but rumors dont always pan out or do so in the way expected so I'm not going to expect anything different from this pass.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So, he focuses on Assists and Spirits, and gets on the case of those who do not agree with him. Bleh! What a waste of time and mental focusing, if you ask me.

Still, you are right when you say some people will still say Spirits disconfirm. No surprise there.
Yep. The dude literally says stuff like "Get over it! Geno or whoever else is a Spirit or an Assist Trophy is DECONFIRMED!!!" "They will never promote a Spirit or an Assist Trophy as a character in the same game so get over it!" The dude won't stop until you say "M'key!" or you just stop replying to him in general. I just don't reply to him at all as talking to him is a waste of time.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Yep. The dude literally says stuff like "Get over it! Geno or whoever else is a Spirit or an Assist Trophy is DECONFIRMED!!!" "They will never promote a Spirit or an Assist Trophy as a character in the same game so get over it!" The dude won't stop until you say "M'key!" or you just stop replying to him in general. I just don't reply to him at all as talking to him is a waste of time.
So we have found Wynns official YT channel xD

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
People are so ready to forget that Mewtwo and Lucas literally got upgraded from trophies in 4 and that spirits were literally the successor to trophies in Sakurai's own words. But it's only different this time because I want it to be.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have to say about this guy; how pathetic! What a pathetic debater or arguing person! I am sure he would not last long if he were here as a member of this forum.

Firox

Smash Master
See, I don't think you understand. If spirits deconfirm, then my fighter is more likely than some other people's, meaning that I can say my fighter is basically confirmed to dunk on other people for wanting something different than me.
Exactly. It's so much easier to invent a convenient fan rule to "deconfirm" anyone I don't like. Then when people find solid evidence again me, I can hide behind circular reasoning and blind hatred. Isn't the internet wonderful?

Dynamic Worlok

First and foremost. I don¨t think Geno lives or dies with that leak. With that said, why would they grab a Cacademon outfit when they haven¨t even bothered (According to the interview) talk about getting Doomguy? If Cacademon is brought up, Doomguy should be brought up during those talks.
Couldn't tell you honestly. I'm not married to the idea of cacomallow's legitimacy either, but it's still a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom