• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm just going to pop back for a little bit because I had time to think and reflect my previous stance that I had during the Fighters Pass Vol 1 and how there was really going to be any requested characters added to Ultimate. I now came to the conclusion that the same is going to apply to Vol 2, we're barely going to see any requested characters that are in the same vein as Ridley and K. Rool added in.

Looking at Vol 1 we only had one character added in solely because they were requested (Banjo) and then we had Hero was added a little because of request but mostly for marketing Dragon Quest XI S in the west. Out of five characters that pretty on the low end.

Now with Fighter Five being revealed to be Byleth shows Nintendo's & Sakurai's stance, they don't care about what characters you've been begging for. This was originally going to be the very last DLC character (it's more apparent that Vol 2 was decided upon due to the success of early sells of Vol 1 seeing how we got five characters in the span of 13 months and now we're getting six characters in the span of two years) and to end Ultimate they chose a character who's game was even out yet (Vol 1 was finalized on November 2018, Three Houses releases in July 2019). The last character that was going to be added in was a marketing character for a game they had no idea on how it would be received by the time they decided it. Sakurai and Nintendo knew about the over overabundance of Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros but they didn't care. They knew they couldn't end Smash Bros without the latest FE character which is why they had to make Sakurai play an early build of the game. This honestly shows that they really don't care about what fans have been asking for. They have a whole list of characters they know people want and just ignored it for their final pick.

I'm sure people are going to argue that it's going to be different now with the new pass, but I don't think so. Byleth is now the third most dislike Nintendo video on YouTube, but all six character were already decided upon before they can learn from that reaction. If they weren't really listening to the fans that much for Fighters Pass Vol 1 what makes you think anything is going to be different in Vol 2? Why would Nintendo make Vol 2 cater more to fan requested characters when they were good with ending Ultimate off with Byleth? I think we're going to predominately get characters that people really weren't wanting (like Piranha Plant, Joker and Terry), get one requested character (which at this point I'm just going to give up on it being Geno now) and the newest Pokemon.

Also if anyone keeps thinking that Byleth was originally going to be the first fighter in Vol 2 and was switched out with Fighter Five to make Vol 2 be more interesting really needs to think things over again. It's a stupid theory.
The characters you assume weren’t requested still had people who wanted them (minus Plant)/liked to see them get in, and I hope you don’t think Sakurai and Nintendo should adhere to what the fanbase wants 100%; no good artists or game developers do that, not even the Minecraft team (who listens to fans and their suggestions a lot) does that.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And who exactly is telling you this? Not saying youre wrong or anything, but why exactly should I believe you?
Whatever people believe, everybody is now in the "soon" boat so it's just as well. Based on my own experiences in the past 14 months, people usually don't get to this point of strong agreement unless it really is super soon. The Fall Direct was like this last year with people saying "yep, it's happening soon" the Saturday before and the February Direct last year was pretty much the same. Outside of E3, Directs are very rarely known super far out. You could probably even go through my post history to find plenty of examples of this where I talk about surges in confidence literally days before the Directs are confirmed.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Whatever people believe, everybody is now in the "soon" boat so it's just as well. Based on my own experiences in the past 14 months, people usually don't get to this point of strong agreement unless it really is super soon. The Fall Direct was like this last year with people saying "yep, it's happening soon" the Saturday before and the February Direct last year was pretty much the same. Outside of E3, Directs are very rarely known super far out. You could probably even go through my post history to find plenty of examples of this where I talk about surges in confidence literally days before the Directs are confirmed.
Read my posts from earlier in the thread.

I’m not denying its right around the corner, its just not going to be this week.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if the General Direct doesn't happen this week, early February is looking very likely in my eyes.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Read my posts from earlier in the thread.

I’m not denying its right around the corner, its just not going to be this week.
I don't really ****in' care at this point. I'm just noting what I've experienced in the past. If the Direct is next week or later, it's just weird that people are in strong agreement about it now. That almost never happens because nobody wants to be the first and wind up being wrong because "muh e-cred." People dogpile when it's "safe" so if the evidence is already that strong, so be it but people tend to be wishy washy on this **** until the 11th hour if they can.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Was just thinking about a possible time window of a potential Challenger Pack 6 reveal and, thought of the following dates:

• January 28, 2020 = Day in which Challenger Pack 5 becomes available on Ultimate, as well as the day in which one can pre-purchase the Fighters Pass Vol. 2
  • February 20, 2020 = Day in which Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition released on the Nintendo Switch.
Now, this window of January 28th through February 20th could entail the following:
  • We could get Challenger Pack 6 revealed on the same day the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 becomes available for pre-purchase (who would be the character, I'm not sure but the names of Crash, Geno, and Dante are the ones to come to mind).
  • We could get Challenger Pack 6 revealed on the same day Devil May Cry 3 SE comes out (this would have to tie-in to Dante being CP 6).
  • On either of those two dates the reveal could be through a General Nintendo Direct, or shadow reveal (Direct would be most likely around February).
  • We could get Challenger Pack 6 revealed on February 14, and this particular day would be if Nintendo went the route of kicking off the Fighters Pass Vol. 2 as the "love letter" to Smash/Nintendo fans. On this day, I'd expect CP 6 to then be Geno since it would be close to the potential date in which we might be getting the rumored SNES dump for the online library.
I'd like to stress that this is just me SPECULATING.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Not sure if this is where Nessdeltarune is getting this from, but there's a post from the insider "Zippo" on resetera saying "No Direct next week, just saving you a headache" or something along those lines

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not sure if this is where Nessdeltarune is getting this from, but there's a post from the insider "Zippo" on resetera saying "No Direct next week, just saving you a headache" or something along those lines
Pretty sure Zippo isn't an insider. Quite a few Resetera users were laughing at the thread for making that claim. That, and we'll have to wait and see for ourselves going into February. That, and with the rumored Super Nintendo dump, I can't help but wonder if that's how Geno would be tied in for his reveal.

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Zippo isn't an insider. Quite a few Resetera users were laughing at the thread for making that claim. That, and we'll have to wait and see for ourselves going into February.
...no. He's definitely an insider. Guy was one of the few people to clearly know about Byleth ahead of the reveal. He even asked a question about the Fire Emblem series specifically on the topic of the 5th character the day before it was announced.

You guys really gotta do some basic research before going "pretty sure" this, "pretty sure" that

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I already know.

That only just emboldens the info that I received (and made public earlier in the thread) even more.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
I would trust Ness on this one. Either way, theres clearly a durect happenning soon and saying there isn't a direct at the end of the month is a "no ****" kind of claim since they literally never have.

D

Deleted member

Attention all SB users. Zippo is a faker and not a real insider. That is all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's just a weird set of events all around.

-SKU number drops typically happen 2-3 weeks out. We're now close to 4 weeks for the last one.

-A ton of leaks including BioShock, Saints Row IV, and Metro Redux.

-Nintendo itself teasing SNES news most of the most month; still hasn't delivered.

-General Directs and Pokemon Directs happening in the same month is a consistent pattern since 2013.

-For the first half of the year Direct, Nintendo hasn't repeated a Direct in the same month two years in a row since 2014.

-People teasing an upcoming major Direct... Since December.

There's just a lot going on here that's super against the norm.

D

Deleted member

I would like to believe that, but may I ask for some evidence or proof?
The whole “character is related, not related to Nintendo” thing. Then he went back and even said that the character was even less related to Nintendo after his first claim.

D

Deleted member

And where was this? Do you have a link?
From he who must not be named’s Twitter:
7AB874C5-306D-44DF-B646-9E7D3DABEEF5.png

Regardless of if he posted anything, anyone could’ve guessed this. Once he posts something actually worth noting, then we take a look at this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Don’t know also I’m not digging through ResetEra threads. Maybe, I heard it wrong but his claim is anything anyone could’ve guessed.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Zippo was verified by some restrera mods. Personally, I’m inclined to believe him.
I don’t necessarily believe him. Would it matter to me, though, because I am already pretty much prepared for expecting the Direct next week instead of this one?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A character who was relevant with our without Nintendo and was only sorta related to Nintendo like Bayo.
By “relevant with or without Nintendo”, I am guessing that means a third party, non-Nintendo character?

Still, I will be expecting g something Direct related next week rather than this one.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
With what Zippo said before asking about Fire Emblem, you would’ve thought it wasn’t Fire Emblem, especially with what Sabi said while piggybacking him and Sabi pretends that was all good for his credibility for some reason and continues with his annoying narcissism.

You would’ve thought it was Phoenix Wright or Doomguy or somebody.

Last edited:

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
With what Zippo said before asking about Fire Emblem, you would’ve thought it wasn’t Fire Emblem, especially with what Sabi said while piggybacking him and Sabi pretends that was all good for his credibility for some reason and continues with his annoying narcissism.
The whole not knowing FE was owned by Nintendo shtick seems like an insane backtrack to make your wrong predictions seem right because somehow they didn't know lol.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
So I have a general question to ask, what exactly do we know about the actual time line of pass two? From what I can recall, what I remember people saying in late 2018 was that "more DLC was possible but no one knows at the moment", and that they were negotiating stuff sometime around E3 2019, but do we have a general estimate of when Pass 2 was actually greenlit?

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I really struggle to see how someone saying "this character is just as relevant with or without Nintendo" could feasibly be hinting at a Fire Emblem character, or why anything they say after making such a ridiculous statement should be taken seriously

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So I have a general question to ask, what exactly do we know about the actual time line of pass two? From what I can recall, what I remember people saying in late 2018 was that "more DLC was possible but no one knows at the moment", and that they were negotiating stuff sometime around E3 2019, but do we have a general estimate of when Pass 2 was actually greenlit?
From what we know, Pass 2 was probably decided around December 2018, greenlit around E3 2019, and finalized January 2020. This makes sense when you consider negotiations are part of the process and those can take months by themselves.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
From what we know, Pass 2 was probably decided around December 2018, greenlit around E3 2019, and finalized January 2020. This makes sense when you consider negotiations are part of the process and those can take months by themselves.
Curious. During Byelth's presentation, Sakurai stated that the video was recorded in November. Wouldn't be more accurate to say that Pass 2 was finalized during that time? Or are we assuming Sakurai scheduled to have the Pass finalized when Byleth was revealed?

Back in November "Alright! We got Byleth's video recorded...now to finalize during the Holidays"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Curious. During Byelth's presentation, Sakurai stated that the video was recorded in November. Wouldn't be more accurate to say that Pass 2 was finalized during that time? Or are we assuming Sakurai scheduled to have the Pass finalized when Byleth was revealed?

Back in November "Alright! We got Byleth's video recorded...now to finalize during the Holidays"
Maybe. To breakdown what people like ForsakenM have theorized:

December 2018- Pass 2 decided. 16 dummy slots appear in game's code in January. At this point in time, they may have already decided some of the characters. Either way, we have strong evidence that Season 2 was probably decided shortly after Season 1 was available to buy.

E3 2019- Pass 2 greenlit. This means that work has actually started on Pass 2 characters. This, however, does not mean that everyone has been decided yet. At this point in time, Nintendo likely went forward with the characters that were already decided and continues negotiating and planning for the others.

November 2019 or January 2020- Pass 2 finalized. This means everyone has been decided, everyone has been negotiated. Unless something catastrophic happens, the 6 decided at this point are the ones coming. Work is probably close to being done on 6 and 7 and 8 are likely half way done or more. 9 was probably started very recently and 10 will probably go forward once 6 is out.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Maybe. To breakdown what people like ForsakenM have theorized:

December 2018- Pass 2 decided. 16 dummy slots appear in game's code in January. At this point in time, they may have already decided some of the characters. Either way, we have strong evidence that Season 2 was probably decided shortly after Season 1 was available to buy.

E3 2019- Pass 2 greenlit. This means that work has actually started on Pass 2 characters. This, however, does not mean that everyone has been decided yet. At this point in time, Nintendo likely went forward with the characters that were already decided and continues negotiating and planning for the others.

November 2019 or January 2020- Pass 2 finalized. This means everyone has been decided, everyone has been negotiated. Unless something catastrophic happens, the 6 decided at this point are the ones coming. Work is probably close to being done on 6 and 7 and 8 are likely half way done or more. 9 was probably started very recently and 10 will probably go forward once 6 is out.
And to build off of this with regards to Geno...
  • Banjo came out, made huge waves, possibly influenced the decision making process.
  • Mii Costume List dropped, no Geno costume mentioned despite the Coocobo Hat being there, as well as a Mallow and Smithy costume/hat.
  • 2 SMRPG music takedowns happened around this time. Banjo and Sans also had music takedowns as well. SquareEnix characters so far have come with only 2 songs, and these two songs would fit Geno best. We've yet to get a "deluxe" costume with more than 1 music track.
  • Geno costume (and Chocobo Hat) didn't come back with Hero despite every other fighter in the Fighter Pass bringing back 2 costumes each.
GenoThinking.png

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So regarding the possible announcement dates of all 6 Season Pass 2 fighters, I think we will see 3 of them announced this year while the last 3 are announced in 2021. Due to the numbers and this lineup carring out all the way to December of next year, I don't think we will see double reveals at E3 this year or the next. In my opinion, it would greatly throw off the timing of the announcements if they did double reveals because imagine waiting 9 months or a year for the next announcement? We would all go insane. So I think 3 per year with one being revealed at E3 sounds very realistic.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And to build off of this with regards to Geno...
  • Banjo came out, made huge waves, possibly influenced the decision making process.
  • Mii Costume List dropped, no Geno costume mentioned despite the Coocobo Hat being there, as well as a Mallow and Smithy costume/hat.
  • 2 SMRPG music takedowns happened around this time. Banjo and Sans also had music takedowns as well. SquareEnix characters so far have come with only 2 songs, and these two songs would fit Geno best. We've yet to get a "deluxe" costume with more than 1 music track.
  • Geno costume (and Chocobo Hat) didn't come back with Hero despite every other fighter in the Fighter Pass bringing back 2 costumes each.
View attachment 259788
To add onto this, it weirdly fits if we keep this assumption.

-Pass 2 is green lit around E3 2019. Work actually begins on the Secret Six. Following past precedent, Nintendo works on its own characters then characters from "veteran" companies and then new companies. We even saw this with the Fighter's Pass:

Plant (Nintendo) - Joker (SEGA/Altus) - Hero (Square/Armor Project) - Banjo (RARE/Microsoft)

These four characters were being worked on December 2018. Let's go with the model I presented in my last post and put forward the following theory:

-Hero and Banjo are announced at E3. Season 2 is green lit around E3. 6 began development around this time. Negotiations for at least one other character probably have already happened.

-Hero is released in late July. 7 begins development around this time.

-Banjo is released and Terry is announced in early September. 8 begins development around this time. This sets up a reasonable scenario that 7 and 8 would be E3 2020 announcements.

-Terry is released in early November. 9 begins development.

-Blythe is announced in mid January 2020. 10 will begin development shortly after Blythe comes out. Negotiations for 11 are finished and the pass is finalized.

-11 will probably start development once 6 is actually released, suggesting 11 could be released as early as next summer.

Just something fun to run with.

Andwooooo

Smash Journeyman
We would all go insane. So I think 3 per year with one being revealed at E3 sounds very realistic.
It’s pretty clear that we’ll get three per year, but I disagree with your assertion that we’ll only see one per E3. I think our hype levels will remain for the six months between E3 and the supposed Jan 2021 character reveal, provided the two E3 reveals generate enough hype.

They announce two at E3, and stagger the release two months apart for each character (7 in Aug, 8 in Oct), and i think that will tide us together until 9’s reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom