• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
This post was warned for spam for discussing content that the staff advised not to discuss after he thread opened.
Geno

There, am I on topic now? This is acceptable conversation now right? We can't even wonder why a regular is absent all of a sudden?

Geeze man

Firox

Smash Master
This post was warned for spam for discussing content that staff previously advised not to discuss.
Geno

There, am I on topic now? This is acceptable conversation now right? We can't even wonder why a regular is absent all of a sudden?

Geeze man
Yeah, I'm honestly curious who would have complained and whether their intentions were genuine. I mean, yes, this is the Geno speculation thread. We talk about Geno. We talk about speculation....because it PERTAINS to Geno. We also try to have fun by joking around, memeing and sharing some comradery. If we literally can't post without being obliged to say "Geno" and "speculation", then what's the point? As long as people aren't attacking the mods for their judgments, I don't see the problem. That's my 2 cents anyway....

GENO SPECULATION!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Your examples are mostly only hinting at Sakurai giving a ****. Corporate Nintendo is an entirely different animal.
It is still Nintendo that makes the paperwork to give Sakurai access (and it's them that gave Sakurai the list). But yes, they are an entirely different beast than Sakurai themself. But even so. The game does not end up as a cluster**** just because of one simple character that I see so many of the community acts like it is now.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I agree that Geno is more likely to be Fighter 7. They would need a heavy hitter like Crash or "wink wink" Doom Slayer to start off the pass with to get people to buy the pass. At this point, i have no idea where to take my speculation. We just have to play it by ear or at least wait until "certain people" get information that we can use to maybe steer speculation in a certain direction.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Now that I got my griping out of the way

While I realize asking for both Geno and Lara at once is futile, this is my "If I had it my way" selection for Vol 2.

Rate & Hate

1579637282982.png

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By the way, about MandyCan, who leaked Crash as Fighter 6 for Smash Bros. Ultimate...

Yeah, their twitter account is gone now.

By the way, how excited would you be if Geno was in?

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But when it comes to Geno.. Yeah, I think he is a double reveal for E3. I, unfortunately, doubt that he is fighter 6.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
My only thought is that instead of worrying about the thread going off-topic or being nervous, just PM a Mod and ask what's okay and what's not okay. They're not some kind of devil. They're just doing their jobs.

I can say as a previous Mod that there's no malicious intent with the locks or warnings. They were actually about the rules. I know it sucks when you feel targeted and all, but it's not been the case. I've constantly asked for other Mod help in unique situations that weren't clear as day. For this thread and many others I've modded.

Obviously if there's something you find a problem, talking it out is easy. You can even go to the two forums Ask A Moderator and Ask An Admin to get extra help. :)

...I'm aware of how much of a plug I'm sounding like, but to be fair, I have good reasons to be.

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Ok thread is online again! I think Geno will be 76-78 if he's in. Nintendo likes to put more hype/fan requested characters in the front of passes so they'll make their money back quicker. Not to mention, current evidence has Geno starting development in July or so, so it'd make sense for him to come sooner than later.
Also, just as with the first one, I won't be buying the fighter pass until at least one character is revealed that I find worth it. If they start with a SwSh rep or something then I'm just gonna wait because there isn't any love lost lol

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Now that I got my griping out of the way

While I realize asking for both Geno and Lara at once is futile, this is my "If I had it my way" selection for Vol 2.

Rate & Hate

View attachment 259058
Wouldn't mind this dlc pack. A lot of variety here.

Id personally swap out Doomslayer for Master Chief, Im just not too familiar with the character and feel like he wouldn't have the same moveset potential as MC.

Now that I think about it though, Lara Croft probably is Geno's biggest obstacle since they are both square. I could actually see the Geno and Chocobo costume coming back with her reveal. Plus we'll more than likely get another female representative for this dlc.

Last edited:

TX-55

Smash Journeyman
I will be purchasing Fighters Pass 2 the moment it hits eshop.
Because imho opinion, while there may be characters that I favor, and they might end up not being part of Fighters Pass 2, the reality is Sakurai and the development did a great job with the DLC for this game compared to other games/fighting games.

Did I want Piranha Plant? No, but I'd be completely dishonest if I said it wasn't a unique character.

So whatever comes, I'm ready.
My hopes/predictions for Fighter Pass 2, in no particular order:

Crash Bandicoot
Waluigi
Geno
Kazuya Mishima
Dante
Doom Guy

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I’m still pulling for Doomguy as 6 and Geno as 7. Fatman may have been wrong about Dragonborn as 5 but cacomallow is still up in the air and Bethesda did have a meeting about smash. And recently Pete Hines totally deflected when asked if Doomguy might be bound for smash:

62ABC4D2-3590-472B-8B3B-B256FEF70A9D.png

Doomguy would totally be the Joker type of character Nintendo would present to get people to buy FP2. I don’t see why people are still saying Geno makes more sense as individual dlc than a full pass when we just got a Fire Emblem character.

Now that I think about it though, Lara Croft probably is Geno's biggest obstacle since they are both square. I could actually see the Geno and Chocobo costume coming back with her reveal. Plus we'll more than likely get another female representative for this dlc.
I don’t really see Lara Croft as having a lot of moveset potential at all. Tbh Sora is the only major SE character standing in Geno’s way. I know people get into the semantics that “actchually he’s a Disney character” but realistically if he’s getting in I don’t see Geno also getting in. If cacomallow is real and the SMRPG and chocobo costumes were to come with anyone other than Geno it’d probably be Sora.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
It is still Nintendo that makes the paperwork to give Sakurai access (and it's them that gave Sakurai the list). But yes, they are an entirely different beast than Sakurai themself. But even so. The game does not end up as a cluster**** just because of one simple character that I see so many of the community acts like it is now.
Oh, I agree with you about the game not being ruined by a single shill. I was just pointing out that the examples you cited were mostly from the base game and thus didn't really illustrate corporate Nintendo's intentions/bias.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Let's get this show on the road. Please no more breaking the law.

I still want Geno to have two hit Smash attacks like Link. That way he can have DI mix ups and have that as his timed hits excuse.
I always envisioned Geno to have one or two hit Smashes depending on if you land the timed hit.
By the way, about MandyCan, who leaked Crash as Fighter 6 for Smash Bros. Ultimate...

I heard a rumour that this guy got hacked or something? Regardless of if that's true or not, I don't think they have any legitimate info and just landed a lucky guess. Seen two people on Twitter who correctly predicted Banjo, Hero and Terry (but were dead wrong on FP5) and there was another guy on 4chan who correctly guessed Banjo and Hero, including all of his alts. In this endless sea of low effort fake leaks, some are bound to land a hit occasionally.

MattX20

Smash Hero

The account was banned? If that's the case, then it certainly does give some possible credence to Crash being our next fighter, and he alone would certainly tide people over until E3. I could see Geno as an E3 reveal, not sure about doubles again, but it's possible

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The account was banned? If that's the case, then it certainly does give some possible credence to Crash being our next fighter, and he alone would certainly tide people over until E3. I could see Geno as an E3 reveal, not sure about doubles again, but it's possible
Not exactly banned. More so likely manually deleted, if anything.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly banned. More so likely manually deleted, if anything.
Well, if it was deleted manually by a hacker, then it doesn't really prove anything regarding credibility. FP6 will most likely be a wait and see thing (though I do think Crash makes sense). Geno would certainly be in between the first and last fighter of the second pass if it's going to be like the first one.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Oh, I agree with you about the game not being ruined by a single shill. I was just pointing out that the examples you cited were mostly from the base game and thus didn't really illustrate corporate Nintendo's intentions/bias.
We still have Banjo, Joker, Terry, and Hero where non of them are first-party. Granted, Hero were a clear intention for DQ11 marketing, but you get what I mean

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
We live again? Alrighty. Hopefully we are in the clear again.

Anyway, my stance on directs remains the same: we won't get one until either next month or the beginning of March.

And I feel like Nintendo might want to have three characters per year to fill the FP2 nicely and spread them out enough to make it work.

:bowser:.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
We live again? Alrighty. Hopefully we are in the clear again.

Anyway, my stance on directs remains the same: we won't get one until either next month or the beginning of March.

And I feel like Nintendo might want to have three characters per year to fill the FP2 nicely and spread them out enough to make it work.

:bowser:.
Does anyone think we'll get a Direct the first full week of February, maybe?

LipeCau

Smash Cadet
I'm so split with Geno after this Fighter Pass Vol. 2 announcement.

Just a little backstory so you guys don't think I'm cheering against Geno: I want Geno in Smash since Melee, I was there for the Sonic and Tails fakes and all. I got every character I wanted in the game - Mewtwo, Diddy, Wolf, Squirtle, Sonic, Villager, Ryu, Cloud, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo. Yes, all of them, including Mewtwo in Melee (I'm old), some were doomed impossible. Now the only character I really want is our boy. Also, all I have to say is, of course, my opinion and I'm sharing to listen to you guys on where I might be mistaken.

With FP1 I was confident Geno wasn't in because of 2 things: Stage and Spirits. There were 2 SMRPG Spirits in the game, Geno being one of them, and as for a stage, I thought it was unlikely to make a SMRPG stage, not much on that. But with Piranha Plant being a standalone DLC and having characters without stages in Smash 4, but having music, I thought he could come later as a separate DLC character. Specially with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms not in the game, despite a Geno spirit battle (also, he's represented by Sheik, with no Mii Costume to be seen).

And then came Sans (and now Cuphead), a premium Mii costume with a song. Not only that, all the characters in FPv2 have a stage and spirit board.

But I honestly think that there's no way, after Sonic, Cloud and Banjo, and the Geno Mii Costume from 4, we are left with only a Geno Spirit.

So this is how my mind is working rn:

Best case scenario - Geno is an extra character thrown in the game outside the FPv2 (say Cacomallow is real and we get him with Doomguy), along with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms. I don't think this is likely tho, the only precedent was Piranha Plant, but he was kinda free. The reason I say this is the best case scenario is simply because we get 7 characters.

Second best case scenario - Geno is one of the characters in FPv2, with bunch of SMRPG music and spirits. This is where my mind betrays me, I honestly don't see this happening and have no reasoning simply because I can't see SMRPG getting this much attention.

Other good scenario - Geno is one of the characters in FPv2, but comes with an unrelated stage, say it's another Mario stage or a classic Smash stage that was cut. I have no idea about the spirits tho.

Worst case scenario - This is sadly the way I'm leaning towards, we get a premium Geno costume with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Doomguy would totally be the Joker type of character Nintendo would present to get people to buy FP2.
This line of thinking is what has me convinced Fighter 6 is going to be the showstopper we were hoping for

Nintendo can be tone-deaf, but they're not stupid

The fact that Sakurai had to warn us before the trailer to not have hard feelings, the fact that Byleth's reveal itself called out the criticism of "Too many swordsmen, are there?", the fact that Sakurai had to give the camera a knowing look when putting the poster up...

Nintendo and Sakurai knows how the Smashdom feels about Fire Emblem, they knew this would be a very polarizing choice to make, they also knew that frontloading the pass with a character like Joker would soften the blow a bit. Like trying to get a dog to take its medicine they slipped FE in there with all the good stuff knowing there would be a lot of push-back on the decision.

With them again not revealing anything on the next Fighter's Pass, my guess is they'll adopt a similar strategy to open with a " Holy ****, they did WHAT??" pick just like Joker to not only frontload the pass, but to win back the crowd after they knew Fire Emblem would cause a stir

I'd say keep an eye on characters like Geno, Crash, or Doomslayer. If they're going to dangle that second Fighter's Pass in front of us, they're going to neat to prime it with some juicy bait

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I don’t really see Lara Croft as having a lot of moveset potential at all. Tbh Sora is the only major SE character standing in Geno’s way. I know people get into the semantics that “actchually he’s a Disney character” but realistically if he’s getting in I don’t see Geno also getting in. If cacomallow is real and the SMRPG and chocobo costumes were to come with anyone other than Geno it’d probably be Sora.
Tomb Raider is one of square's highest grossing franchises and I believe its rated higher than KH in that regard.. And Lara Croft herself is a classic game icon that the general population is aware of. I'm a huge KH fan, and would prefer Sora, but if Square had their way my bet would be on her over Sora. They would more than likely make more money working with Nintendo alone versus getting Disney involved.

While I don't think Disney is impossible to work with, I'm sure it makes things more complicated for any kind of contract they draw up. Disney's current and past relationship may even be a bonus in Sora's favor, who knows. But as far as profit goes, I could see square leaning towards using Lara Croft over Sora for sure.

As for her move-set potential, she probably has just as much as someone like Zero Suit. I picture her being a blend of Snake, Zero Suit, Link, and Joker in terms of how she plays.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
As for her move-set potential, she probably has just as much as someone like Zero Suit. I picture her being a blend of Snake, Zero Suit, Link, and Joker in terms of how she plays.
Here is my elevator pitch for a Lara Croft fighter: Classic look with Reboot Lara as an alt

She uses her survival tools from the Reboot series to round out her moveset, but her central gimmick is Down B; Lara crouches down and digs at the ground and pulls up magical artifacts from the Classic series, which act like Robin's tomes and she uses as weapons.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I'm so split with Geno after this Fighter Pass Vol. 2 announcement.

Just a little backstory so you guys don't think I'm cheering against Geno: I want Geno in Smash since Melee, I was there for the Sonic and Tails fakes and all. I got every character I wanted in the game - Mewtwo, Diddy, Wolf, Squirtle, Sonic, Villager, Ryu, Cloud, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo. Yes, all of them, including Mewtwo in Melee (I'm old), some were doomed impossible. Now the only character I really want is our boy. Also, all I have to say is, of course, my opinion and I'm sharing to listen to you guys on where I might be mistaken.

With FP1 I was confident Geno wasn't in because of 2 things: Stage and Spirits. There were 2 SMRPG Spirits in the game, Geno being one of them, and as for a stage, I thought it was unlikely to make a SMRPG stage, not much on that. But with Piranha Plant being a standalone DLC and having characters without stages in Smash 4, but having music, I thought he could come later as a separate DLC character. Specially with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms not in the game, despite a Geno spirit battle (also, he's represented by Sheik, with no Mii Costume to be seen).

And then came Sans (and now Cuphead), a premium Mii costume with a song. Not only that, all the characters in FPv2 have a stage and spirit board.

But I honestly think that there's no way, after Sonic, Cloud and Banjo, and the Geno Mii Costume from 4, we are left with only a Geno Spirit.

So this is how my mind is working rn:

Best case scenario - Geno is an extra character thrown in the game outside the FPv2 (say Cacomallow is real and we get him with Doomguy), along with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms. I don't think this is likely tho, the only precedent was Piranha Plant, but he was kinda free. The reason I say this is the best case scenario is simply because we get 7 characters.

Second best case scenario - Geno is one of the characters in FPv2, with bunch of SMRPG music and spirits. This is where my mind betrays me, I honestly don't see this happening and have no reasoning simply because I can't see SMRPG getting this much attention.

Other good scenario - Geno is one of the characters in FPv2, but comes with an unrelated stage, say it's another Mario stage or a classic Smash stage that was cut. I have no idea about the spirits tho.

Worst case scenario - This is sadly the way I'm leaning towards, we get a premium Geno costume with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms.
I want Geno in a lot too, but I completely agree with you, Fighter’s Pass style doesn’t suit him well at all and I was hoping we’d be getting bonus type characters. Hopefully he still can get in though.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Thread's back, time to post THE IMAGE.
WhenGenoThreadGetsDerailedByDrama.png

I've been thinking about Mii Costumes lately and they seem to just drop them at random now. Cuphead has a strong connection to Microsoft but was shown among a Nintendo character, while Pokemon is a 2nd party of Nintendo but the Rocket Grunt was shown with a Microsoft character.
The Capcom costumes seem to get thrown out at random, so i don't really know anymore if a Capcom character can be expected for season 2.
Also the random Ubisoft costumes came as a surprise.
A Square and Namco rep for season 2 still have good evidence behind them, but they could also always get random-dropped as they don't really follow a pattern anymore. They might even do this intentionally either to not spill the beans prematurely or as a red herring in scenario B. I'd just recommend to always be on the watch during the costume sections in season 2.
I don't think they'd be randomly dropped. I mean, the Geno and Chocobo Hat weren't randomly dropped, they came with Cloud. And with Hero, the only costumes that came were from Dragon Quest, as opposed to every other Fighter Pass thus far that has come with at least one unrelated costume. This to me seems to indicate that, for whatever reason, Square prefers their stuff to release only alongside other Square stuff.

Oh ****, you're right! It's completely gone! So were they taken down by Nintendo, or did they just decide to close it themselves?

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Here are my """predictions.""" Totally prepared to be BTFO'd
1579641400091.png

MattX20

Smash Hero
I feel that if Monster Hunter were going to be playable, they would've put them in the base game along with Rathalos. That and Dante and Phoenix Wright are basically the current frontrunners for additional Capcom reps. That, and after the whole Waluigi debacle with "fans" on Twitter being pretty terrible to Sakurai, I don't think he's happening either to be honest. Other characters like Geno feel more likely however

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
View attachment 259067
*sees Geno, Chief, and Crash. Upvotes immediately.*

Glad to see this thread back open. Ready to read more Genobro convos late at night. I, like most others so far, believe FP6 has to be a big name drop. I think Geno would hype the Smash fanbase, but overall, I think you need someone like Crash, Doom Slayer, or Chief. Something that appeals to people outside of the Smash fandom. I mean, most of us are goinf to buy it regardless, right? Need those who are on the fence to pick this pass up, and a "bigger name" is the best way to do that.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
If Fighter Pass 2 is confirmed to be like FP1, then it will also get a Mii list. Which means every non-Geno character will have a nail-biting Mii list for this fanbase.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Tomb Raider is one of square's highest grossing franchises and I believe its rated higher than KH in that regard.. And Lara Croft herself is a classic game icon that the general population is aware of. I'm a huge KH fan, and would prefer Sora, but if Square had their way my bet would be on her over Sora. They would more than likely make more money working with Nintendo alone versus getting Disney involved.

While I don't think Disney is impossible to work with, I'm sure it makes things more complicated for any kind of contract they draw up. Disney's current and past relationship may even be a bonus in Sora's favor, who knows. But as far as profit goes, I could see square leaning towards using Lara Croft over Sora for sure.

Yeah, I just don’t see it. There’s huge differences between ZSS and Tomb Raider. She’s just not that flashy of a character and isn’t even doing a lot of flips and whatnot like ZSS. Her weaponry also isn’t as flashy as Snake. Despite her world having fantasy/sci-fi elements Lara herself isn’t that dissimilar to any other generic action character with military grade weapons. She just doesn’t even seem like the type of character Sakurai would want to add as a full character with spirit board, music and all that. At best I see her as a mii costume like Altair from Assassin’s Creed. Maybe she’s the top secret SE mii costume fatman brought up.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Looks like we are back in business. Icewolff92 Icewolff92 we saw Phil go to Japan around this time last year (if memory serves) and the Banjoroo in me went mental. Sadly, it was not for Nintendo...but this time Doug Bowser is heading to Japan at the same time? That is something to keep an eye on.

Anyhoo, I had an idea for Geno's stage. It could start in Rose Town and travel to either Star Hill or Vista Hill. Covers a good amount of Cameos, especially if it is a traveling stage.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I just don’t see it. There’s huge differences between ZSS and Tomb Raider. She’s just not that flashy of a character and isn’t even doing a lot of flips and whatnot like ZSS. Her weaponry also isn’t as flashy as Snake. Despite her world having fantasy/sci-fi elements Lara herself isn’t that dissimilar to any other generic action character with military grade weapons. She just doesn’t even seem like the type of character Sakurai would want to add as a full character with spirit board, music and all that. At best I see her as a mii costume like Altair from Assassin’s Creed. Maybe she’s the top secret SE mii costume fatman brought up.
There is a YouTuber named backup368. He is against characters like Banjo and Geno just because they don’t make sense in a business perspective. Like Banjo is owned by Microsoft and Geno just appeals to hardcore Smash fans. He is a huge Lara Croft fan and would be triggered if Geno is playable and Lara is a costume.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel that if Monster Hunter were going to be playable, they would've put them in the base game along with Rathalos. That and Dante and Phoenix Wright are basically the current frontrunners for additional Capcom reps. That, and after the whole Waluigi debacle with "fans" on Twitter being pretty terrible to Sakurai, I don't think he's happening either to be honest. Other characters like Geno feel more likely however
I doubt the Waluigi thing matters, if I'm being honest.

Sakurai is going to upgrade him or not upgrade him more on his own merits. He needs a plausible moveset. That said, he's aware of rabid fans. He ignores them generally. At most he called them out for being mad about Smash 4's clones, explaining the thought behind it.

Right now the fan demand for Waluigi is massive, and that's all Sakurai needs to consider when it comes to upgrading him or not. But he first needs a moveset idea. Without that, not happening.

Geno's in a clearly better position, but that's only cause Sakurai wants him. But that requires Nintendo to as well, and SE. We don't know how those two feel about the situation.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Post warned for spam for discussing content the staff advised users not to discuss after the thread opened.
Thread's back, time to post THE IMAGE.
View attachment 259066

I don't think they'd be randomly dropped. I mean, the Geno and Chocobo Hat weren't randomly dropped, they came with Cloud. And with Hero, the only costumes that came were from Dragon Quest, as opposed to every other Fighter Pass thus far that has come with at least one unrelated costume. This to me seems to indicate that, for whatever reason, Square prefers their stuff to release only alongside other Square stuff.

Oh ****, you're right! It's completely gone! So were they taken down by Nintendo, or did they just decide to close it themselves?
Be careful mike! There may not be room for memes anymore. You better put a few geno's in there and make sure it's on topic.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I doubt the Waluigi thing matters, if I'm being honest.

Sakurai is going to upgrade him or not upgrade him more on his own merits. He needs a plausible moveset. That said, he's aware of rabid fans. He ignores them generally. At most he called them out for being mad about Smash 4's clones, explaining the thought behind it.

Right now the fan demand for Waluigi is massive, and that's all Sakurai needs to consider when it comes to upgrading him or not. But he first needs a moveset idea. Without that, not happening.

Geno's in a clearly better position, but that's only cause Sakurai wants him. But that requires Nintendo to as well, and SE. We don't know how those two feel about the situation.
True, that and if a character must be upgraded from assist trophy status, I'd rather it be Isaac given how his fans have waited so long for this character to be given a proper comeback. Like Geno, Isaac was one of the big names for fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom