• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
I get the feeling we might get Geno sooner this year rather than later. Given how negative the reception towards Byleth was, I don't think Nintendo is going to wait 5 months to reveal just 1 character to start off this new DLC pass. A large, fan favorite character like Geno could certainly get people back on board again.
True - they need incentive for people to purchase Fighters Pass 2 right out of the gate - hoping to capitalize on some of those impulse buyers who will throw caution to the wind and buy the entire pass if the first character is good.

Heoj

Smash Ace
We are definitely getting a fp6 reveal before e3 as theres absolutely no way in hell they are going to leave us empty for over 4 months, the next direct is almost guaranteed to tease fp6 around late january february or march. Then with a fp7 reveal at e3.

And im very confident in geno being either fp6, 7 or 8.

D

Deleted member

I feel Geno is likely.

Not sure how much, but kinda likely nonetheless.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
True - they need incentive for people to purchase Fighters Pass 2 right out of the gate - hoping to capitalize on some of those impulse buyers who will throw caution to the wind and buy the entire pass if the first character is good.
Considering there are people like my brother who throws caution to the wind and just buys the pack straight-up, it's not a necessary step, though I appreciate Sakurai wanting to be better than that.

Firox

Smash Master
I'm purposely going to hold off from buying fighter pass 2 until they reveal #6. I don't want to reward them for leaving us hanging, or worse yet, opening with some garbo character I don't want.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Considering there are people like my brother who throws caution to the wind and just buys the pack straight-up, it's not a necessary step, though I appreciate Sakurai wanting to be better than that.
i agree it’s not a necessary step, but probably smart from a business point of view.

And don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Geno, I just don’t know if he would be the big head-turner that they SHOULD go with for #6 . #6 should be a cross-platform darling like Crash (to really draw people in).

Although I suppose you could make the argument that if Geno was #6 that could be sending a message to the general fan base that says “see! Look! We take fan requests! Maybe you should buy our pass!....”

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
i agree it’s not a necessary step, but probably smart from a business point of view.

And don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Geno, I just don’t know if he would be the big head-turner that they SHOULD go with for #6 . #6 should be a cross-platform darling like Crash (to really draw people in).

Although I suppose you could make the argument that if Geno was #6 that could be sending a message to the general fan base that says “see! Look! We take fan requests! Maybe you should buy our pass!....”
Crash could also do that, but make an even larger splash than Geno. I don't want to downplay Geno's influence, but the danged Bandicoot is popular all around, especially Japan. He could also work as a western creation, since while he was created for Sony's console, he was created under supervision of Universal Interactive by Naughty Dog.

Firox

Smash Master
I personally think that Geno has a better chance of being fighter #7 than #6. Reason being, I think Geno definitely has fan support, but as far as turning heads, I think Crash, Doomslayer or Master Chief would sell more fighter passes. Hell, I'd be all over that if one of those guys were the point man, so to speak.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Geno's stage could be the Mario world, using areas where the 7 star pieces are found. Perhaps having Smithy Gang as hazards.

So, starts in Mushroom Kingdom, with a hazard of the Shysters bouncing out from the castle entrance.

Then Forest Maze where Bowyer's arrows rain and paralyze characters (likeZamus' stun laser)

Then Moleville mines with minecarts and Bom-bombs. Then Punchinello appears and everyone gets a dizzy status, getting a headache at trying to figure who he is.

Then Star Hill, which has no hazards.

Then Seaside Town/Sunken Ship with half land, half water where Yardiovich throws a blast if water

Then on top of Barrel Volcano with Blade in the back shooting a beam.

Finally the Factory where Smithy casts Skedge in the background OR Bowser's Keep with Exor the Sword..

Now, that sounds like overkill of content, so instead here's a topic:

If there was a travel stage, what 3 star locations would you want used?

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
If we get a stage with Geno I hope it can be tournament legal. How sick would that be. And it would be the first time I recall Mario having a tournament legal stage since Delfino Plaza in Brawl.

Springwood Slasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
5791 9674 3792
Crash could also do that, but make an even larger splash than Geno. I don't want to downplay Geno's influence, but the danged Bandicoot is popular all around, especially Japan. He could also work as a western creation, since while he was created for Sony's console, he was created under supervision of Universal Interactive by Naughty Dog.
yeah that’s what I meant. Crash would be a much better intro into Season 2 for sure (as much as I love Geno and want him more than anyone else).

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I doubt that the pass will be on sale next week and they decide to wait 5 months until E3 to announce the first character (I mean, they COULD, but it would be mind boggling stupid). So number 6 will probably be sooner.

That leaves number 77 at E3, which would fit in nicely as being Geno. Plus, that's the 7th true DLC for Ultimate (with Plant being a bonus).

JudgeHeihachi

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about Mii Costumes lately and they seem to just drop them at random now. Cuphead has a strong connection to Microsoft but was shown among a Nintendo character, while Pokemon is a 2nd party of Nintendo but the Rocket Grunt was shown with a Microsoft character.
The Capcom costumes seem to get thrown out at random, so i don't really know anymore if a Capcom character can be expected for season 2.
Also the random Ubisoft costumes came as a surprise.
A Square and Namco rep for season 2 still have good evidence behind them, but they could also always get random-dropped as they don't really follow a pattern anymore. They might even do this intentionally either to not spill the beans prematurely or as a red herring in scenario B. I'd just recommend to always be on the watch during the costume sections in season 2.

Also on a side-note, the Tales Logo Trademarks, which many Lloyd fans took as confirmation for him gettig into Smash as a series symbol there, were now confirmed to be unsurprisingly just used for the 25th anniversary for Tales:

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/ne...logos-revealed-changes-in-game-categorization

Lloyd now has nothing left anymore that would speak in favor of him as the Namco rep. Especially not year old rumors when even Sakurai said additional DLC wasn't planned from the get-go. There was actually nothing that spoke in favor of him before as it was very obvious those logos are just generic stuff not meant for Smash, but now it's finally official!

Last edited:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about Mii Costumes lately and they seem to just drop them at random now. Cuphead has a strong connection to Microsoft but was shown among a Nintendo character, while Pokemon is a 2nd party of Nintendo but the Rocket Grunt was shown with a Microsoft character.
The Capcom costumes seem to get thrown out at random, so i don't really know anymore if a Capcom character can be expected for season 2.
Also the random Ubisoft costumes came as a surprise.
A Square and Namco rep for season 2 still have good evidence behind them, but they could also always get random-dropped as they don't really follow a pattern anymore. They might even do this intentionally either to not spill the beans prematurely or as a red herring in scenario B. I'd just recommend to always be on the watch during the costume sections in season 2.

Also on a side-note, the Tales Logo Trademarks, which many Lloyd fans took as confirmation for him gettig into Smash as a series symbol there, were now confirmed to be unsurprisingly just used for the 25th anniversary for Tales:

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/ne...logos-revealed-changes-in-game-categorization

Lloyd now has nothing left anymore that would speak in favor of him as the Namco rep. Especially not year old rumors when even Sakurai said additional DLC wasn't planned from the get-go. There was actually nothing that spoke in favor of him before as it was very obvious those logos are just generic stuff not meant for Smash, but now it's finally official!
So basically Heihachi threw Lloyd over a cliff just like he did to Kazuya

Droodle

Smash Lord
I doubt that the pass will be on sale next week and they decide to wait 5 months until E3 to announce the first character (I mean, they COULD, but it would be mind boggling stupid). So number 6 will probably be sooner.

That leaves number 77 at E3, which would fit in nicely as being Geno. Plus, that's the 7th true DLC for Ultimate (with Plant being a bonus).
Sakurai never chooses his characters based on their numbers. This sounds like color theory 2.0.

Geno could be 77 or 78 or 79. However, I think his chances would be ridiculously slim, around 5% if he does not get in by then.

I'd say that if Geno doesn't get in by the end of this year; he's not getting in at all. And that's with me being generous. I don't know why this thread is acting like he's almost guaranteed.

I'd say that there isn't really any character that is "almost guaranteed"; there are some that are likely though.

My predictions:
6. Dante Feb direct
7. Namco/Square character (Geno being one on the list) E3 direct
8. Ryu Hayabusa September direct
9. Adol Christin/Falcom rep January direct
10. Crash E3 reveal
11. First party/ArcSys rep September 2020

D

Deleted member

Sakurai never chooses his characters based on their numbers. This sounds like color theory 2.0.

Geno could be 77 or 78 or 79. However, I think his chances would be ridiculously slim, around 5% if he does not get in by then.

I'd say that if Geno doesn't get in by the end of this year; he's not getting in at all. And that's with me being generous. I don't know why this thread is acting like he's almost guaranteed.

I'd say that there isn't really any character that is "almost guaranteed"; there are some that are likely though.

My predictions:
6. Dante Feb direct
7. Namco/Square character (Geno being one on the list) E3 direct
8. Ryu Hayabusa September direct
9. Adol Christin/Falcom rep January direct
10. Crash E3 reveal
11. First party/ArcSys rep September 2020
Highly doubt Dante is 6

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Geno at E3 would be neat. I still am hoping for a direct soonish to reveal at least number 6 and have 7 (and 8) be revealed at E3. We still got the Gamestop SKU's and we have the Pokemon direct which usually (always?) been a Nintendo Direct that is close by.

Also, isn't also kind of, suspect, that Byleth's reveal/Sakurai Presents Video did not release the fighter the same day, which each DLC character has done? Instead, it is on the 28th (about 2 weeks later), a Tuesday, before the end of January. Hmmmmm. That is where I am hoping for a Nintendo Direct that reveals number 6.

And Geno as either 7 or 8. That would be glorious. The reason I think Geno may or may not come as 7, but maybe 8, is I have a theory that Byleth was not originally going to be #5, but things were moved around once FIghter's Pass 2 was Green lit. To sum it all up without being a long post ... Byleth was going to be either a one off DLC fighter, like Plant (We know they ran out of time, but just the same idea of individual DLC fighters NOT part of a Pass) OR part of Pass 2 once it was "official." (Nintendo may have had it in the works but waited for the sales numbers to see if the first one was profitable to go ahead with another Fighter Pass ... either to not have any more DLC or at least no more passes)

So, simply my theory is Byleth was pushed into #5 slot and either the planned number 5 is the first or second fighter for the second pass. That way Nintendo can start the pass either with a third party character OR even a Spirit/Mii Costume/Assist Trophy promotion to "EXCITE" people to purchase the Pass, like the excitement Joker brought in for the "endless possibilities." A Fire Emblem character would not harness that excitement at all.

So that is why I think Geno could either be 7 or even 8 if things were pushed around.

I have a more detailed theory to back my thoughts up but it would be too long ... eh, longer than this post. Oh boy.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Highly doubt Dante is 6
Well yeah, that's why this is just a prediction list. Most of these could happen in any order, and none are "guaranteed". But I'm willing to bet all the popular characters will come first; with 1 potential bombshell saved for both E3's.

D

Deleted member

Well yeah, that's why this is just a prediction list. Most of these could happen in any order, and none are "guaranteed". But I'm willing to bet all the popular characters will come first; with 1 potential bombshell saved for both E3's.
Just sayin. I think he would come later. Also doubt a Falcom rep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The order number is solely based upon the reveal timing. It's possible to change it up to fit good promotional timing. Isabelle was revealed at the exact timing to push New Horizons, for instance.

FP6 is most likely a huge bombshell as is. Geno could be easily 7, 8, 9, 10, or 11 since those aren't needed to hard sell the pass right away. The last ones tend to be "less notable", so maybe not 11.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I get the feeling we might get Geno sooner this year rather than later. Given how negative the reception towards Byleth was, I don't think Nintendo is going to wait 5 months to reveal just 1 character to start off this new DLC pass. A large, fan favorite character like Geno could certainly get people back on board again.
To be honest, that would be just like Nintendo to show off one shill pick after the other. Those corporate heads at Nintendo didn't give a **** what western fans thought about Byleth.

Or nightmare from soul calibour did
Banjo: Kazooie, what am I seeing here?!

Kazooie: It's just a demonic knight throwing a RPG boy off the cliff.

Gruntilda: Will Lloyd survive, or will he die? Or will he fight back the demonic knight that is about to send his *** straight to hell for all days of eternity?

Banjo: That's dark Gruntilda. Maybe you should lower the rhymes down for the kids. After all, Smash is a kid friendly game.

Kazooie: You mean the game that has a witch, a Cunning God of Death, and a pretty RPG boy with a gun? Yeah:beezo::beezo::beezo: Kid friendly.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
To be honest, that would be just like Nintendo to show off one shill pick after the other. Those corporate heads at Nintendo didn't give a **** what western fans thought about Byleth.
Yet we have the likes of Ridley, Bellmonts, King K, Banjo Kazooie. that are all at their biggest WESTERN request. Especially Banjo.
Sigh... to qoute Aaronitmar

"We got like ten WILD character picks in a row, and apparently all of that good grace is gone now with Byleth, despite 6 more characters also on the way "

Last edited:

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
I feel like the identity of 6 is sooner rather than later. Sakurai hates blind passes and we knew joker 10 mins before we could buy the pass. I personally see geno like 7-9. 6 I feel like must be a somewhat wide appeal pick to sell passes. Not sure when we would find out though as the pass is on sale next Tues. maybe even show a few emblems/silluette (mushroom icon, ?, Triforce,etc) for a few of the passes to give us a. “Flavor”

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd love for Crash to be 6 and Geno to be 7. Getting 2 of my most wanted characters back to back would absolutely destroy me.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I think the only character I’d bet confidently on showing up in this pass is Crash Bandicoot. Geno felt more likely as a standalone bonus than a fighter pack imo so I feel a bit more skeptical on his chances right now.

In terms of premium mii costumes, they could do a pretty good Axem Rangers swordie with the full helmet and all.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yet we have the likes of Ridley, Bellmonts, King K, Banjo Kazooie. that are all at their biggest WESTERN request. Especially Banjo.

"We got like ten WILD character picks in a row, and apparently all of that good grace is gone now with Byleth, despite 6 more characters also on the way "
But still, I'm just saying how it mostly is. Of course every Smash has included fan favorites in it. 64 had all the big Nintendo protagonist characters, Melee added some of the big heroines and antagonist in the roster, Brawl added so many big names that it basically had the best newcomer lineup among all the games, Smash 4 did added popular characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, and so on, but it didn't add that much fan favorites compared to the other entries, and Ultimate added some highly requested Smash Ballot picks people habe been waiting for almost 20 years for while also bringing back every single veteran.

I know Nintendo is promoting the hell out of Fire Emblem, but there are other Nintendo franchises that desperately needs more reps than Fire Emblem. When you think about it, with them putting so many Fire Emblem characters in Smash they're almost treating Fire Emblem like it's one of their big franchise s like Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda.

Firox

Smash Master
Your examples are mostly only hinting at Sakurai giving a ****. Corporate Nintendo is an entirely different animal. As long as there are dollar signs involved, they will do as much (or as little) as necessary, hence why the Switch's online is still **** in general after 3 years and a paid subscription. Also hence why we still have a bare bones eshop, virtual console, and hardly any customization for the Switch UI. I mean, the freaking 3DS could have like 8 different background colors and infinite wall papers. Meanwhile, Nintendo's current flag ship has white and black. Period. Instead of giving us a proper Switch Mario Kart, Nintendo has put its resources into cheap cell phone gacha games. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to never underestimate Nintendo's ability to self-indulge.

That said, if Geno ends up getting into Smash, it'll be for one of two reasons. Either:

A) The stars finally aligned for Sakurai to answer fan demand.

and/or

B) Nintendo/SE were convinced that a playable Geno would sell, and by sell, I mean comparably to other "big name" characters out there

Kinda sucks, but that's just how business works. Self-interest is the name of the game.

EDIT: You know, the more I think about it, the more I understand why they wanted to keep the fighter passes a secret. Think about it. If Nintendo were to unveil the entire fighters pass up front, people would simply buy the individual characters they want and there would be far fewer sales of the entire pass bundle. For example, if they were to unveil Master Chief as fighter #6, FP#2's would sell like hot cakes because people would assume that the rest of the pass is absolutely glorious. Then come to find out that the rest of the fighters were Yamper, Edelgard, Goomba, Bokoblin and Grey Pit. Needless to say, people would be pretty pissed. Had they known, they would have just bought Master chief and walked away in tears. Basically, Nintendo is letting our own imaginations sell the pass for them. They know SOMEONE is going to be salty, but as long as they got their money up front, GG.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This post was warned for spam due to discussing content not pertinent to Geno/also discussing content highlighted by staff as unacceptable.
So what exactly happen that got Fatman banned for trolling? For using codenames for Waluigi and other characters like purple pie man and such? That's bull****!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But still, I'm just saying how it mostly is. Of course every Smash has included fan favorites in it. 64 had all the big Nintendo protagonist characters, Melee added some of the big heroines and antagonist in the roster, Brawl added so many big names that it basically had the best newcomer lineup among all the games, Smash 4 did added popular characters like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, and so on, but it didn't add that much fan favorites compared to the other entries, and Ultimate added some highly requested Smash Ballot picks people habe been waiting for almost 20 years for while also bringing back every single veteran.

I know Nintendo is promoting the hell out of Fire Emblem, but there are other Nintendo franchises that desperately needs more reps than Fire Emblem. When you think about it, with them putting so many Fire Emblem characters in Smash they're almost treating Fire Emblem like it's one of their big franchise s like Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda.
My comment still stands. People just suddenly act like Sakurai never listen and have done a half-assed job, just because he suddenly adds yet another Fire Emblem character (which most likely is because Nintendo), and even though I¨m hyped towards Byleth (which is pretty obvious concidering my picture) and is in total understanding when it comes to disappointment, this selective memory attitude just pisses me off, but whatever

Also... with the mobile game in mind, I can totally understand why they are seeing Fire Emblem as one of their biggest franchise.
https://sensortower.com/blog/fire-emblem-heroes-revenue-500-million

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom