• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I never said that Geno is guarenteed to be an upgraded Mii Costume, i’m just saying it’s a very real possibility that we shouldn’t deflect just because “aaaah it’s only happened to indies so far therefore it can’t happen to an old irrelevant RPG character”
All of us are aware that it’s a possibility. Your pessimism is getting really annoying. You literally said Geno will not fit in a pack because despite Fire Emblem DLC pack. Another Mario stage unlikely? You starting to remind me of that certain someone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
A question that crossed my mind. Given that Yoko Shimomura composed most of the original tracks for Super Mario RPG and isn't stingy like Sugiyama or Uematsu, how many at bare minimum do you think we'll get alongside Geno and the stage?
It's impossible but the whole soundtrack would be amazing

This is my first contribution to the Geno meme squad. We are all in this together!!!View attachment 258558
Welcome to the Meme Gang buddy!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Then maybe stop barging into the thread and taking potshots at him to try and set him off if all of yall really care for him as a person.
Imagine unironically saying this when most of Fatman's problems are from OTHER PEOPLE taking Smash too seriously.

"Fatman you should take a break from speculation because you are being a bit extreme. It doesn't matter that the internet is being extreme against you and your actions are not justified in any way. This is all on you."
See? This is why I love these guys and why they're comrades. You're concerned for my well being? Have you considered, mmmmm, NOT being hyper critical, encouraging raids, making potshots here and elsewhere, sending me threats and hatemail, etc? People called Etika a clown to the point of breaking the poor guy and then tore their shirts and wailed when the worst came to pass. "Oh, how could this happen? We didn't know he was so upset; honest." *spit* Disgusting. It's amazing how everytime I bring up this topic that suddenly my critics are befuddled and unironically can't understand why repeatedly calling a person a liar and fraud across multiple sites, uh, encourages harassment. Yes, boys and girls, there are definitely definitely right and wrong ways to disagree with someone and, holy hell, things are so far swung in the wrong direction that it's not even funny.

D

Deleted member

Imagine unironically saying this when most of Fatman's problems are from OTHER PEOPLE taking Smash too seriously.

"Fatman you should take a break from speculation because you are being a bit extreme. It doesn't matter that the internet is being extreme against you and your actions are not justified in any way. This is all on you."
Both sides have their problems I'm not doubting that at all people harassing him is going far beyond just crossing the line and it's absolutely horrible but Fatman is also just riling them on and just giving them more fuel to add to the already massive dumpster fire.
Self destruction? I have a Master's degree, no debt, a loving wife, a very strong and supporting network of friends and family, am fully medicated, and a long list of hobbies outside of Smash. I'm 6'6, have gorgeous hair, and am regularly told that I'm pretty good looking despite being the size of a small building. I'm a published author, helped found a warming shelter, have led several student organizations, run a Facebook group with my wife where we advertise and help plan community events, was an event coordinator for an animal shelter, etc. Does that sound like I don't have my life together? Me sharing my LinkedIn profile is flexing if anything. People always imagine me as this half crazed, morbidly obese kissless virgin in my mom's basement when the reality of things is that I'm pretty accomplished and caring despite people telling me I'm gullible or manipulative or, bottom line, that I'm a bad person. That's what I'm fed up with. Question my integrity? Honesty? Damn right I'll get indignant because why should I roll over in the face of people outright attacking my character and morality over, for the billionth time, video game rumors. That's the absurdity of it all.
Okay you're very accomplished but that doesn't mean Speculation isn't getting to you as it very obviously is. I'm not even trying to be malicious either I'm genuinely concerned about you cause I think you're a good person and you shouldn't be giving the people who harass you and who threaten you more ammo to beat you down with. Though at this point I guess there's nothing I can say or do to change your thought process. Good luck.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
All of us are aware that it’s a possibility. Your pessimism is getting really annoying. You literally said Geno will not fit in a pack because despite Fire Emblem DLC pack. Another Mario stage unlikely? You starting to remind me of that certain someone.
I get that i’m wynn 2 at this point, I already acknowledged that.

I just think that with every single “theory” getting BTFO at this DLC reveal that we really should stop putting stock into those kinds of things. Just a while ago Fatman was telling us how he thought Geno was guarenteed to come before E3 yet now he’s saying it is an E3 reveal, when to be honest, Geno has always struck me as a Nintendo Direct reveal and never an E3 thing. Also, can’t wait for DLC 6 to just be some random 2010 era character instead of Weird Al Yankovic aka totally not Waluigi and everyone gives up on that as well just like we all gave up on Dovahkiin. The cycle is starting to become plainly obvious.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Mood:
(i would really appreciate if we could talk about how wholesome it will be when Geno finally joins the battle, some artists here in the thread should do a crying Geno hugging Mario or something like that)
P.D: it's just a meme, so don't take it seriously
PicsArt_01-18-02.16.25-1.png

Necro Toad

Smash Apprentice
Talked with a confidant today and they pitched at me yet another rumor I've seen people volleyballing around. Seems like a lot of people are in agreement that Byleth wasn't always meant to 5. My theory was that Ryu was cut and Byleth plugged the hole. Here's an alternative explanation I'm now hearing:

Blythe was supposed to be a base roster character but Three Pouches got delayed and thus all the Free Couches content was put on hold. To make up for this, Blythe was stuck on the end and our real 5 was moved to 6. So... What could this mean? Two possible things in my opinion:

-Paraleak was actually right and the Aubergine Avenger was originally supposed to be 5 but moved to 6.

-Shifty and Brew were right and Ryu was originally supposed to be 5 but moved to 6.

What's ironic about this situation is that it supports the idea that either of these characters was actually leakbait or flat out misinformation for Byleth, a character created by Nintendo and Koei Tecmo. Fun stuff.

Hey Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , I have a theory about this info:

An interesting thing about this is that if this info is correct, it would means that two DLC fighters were in fact unfinished characters and were delayed to the DLCs (Piranha Plant and Byleth). So, technically it is possible that we have a third character that was in development and was also not released. I think that for this to be true the character has to be originally planned for the base game (and therefore can't have AT, Mii Costumes or Spirit) and needs to be a first party character. In other words, has to be MIA and be a First Party fighter.
Which character fits that? Porky!
When you think about it, he would filt it perfectly! He is well-known character, he is first party, he was a boss on Brawl but was not on Ultimate, he is totally MIA and he would also fits the "hero x villains" thing that the base game had!

If that were the case, can you please check if your theories and patterns keep matching if we swap Waluigi with Porky?

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
The concern trolls are out in full force today, huh?
They were wrong about K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo. Let's just watch history repeat itself. I'm sure they'll talk about how much they really wanted Geno after the fact. Hoes mad and all that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
StarLight42 StarLight42 Speculation is a process, same as the scientific method. You're going to be wrong more times than you're going to be right and you absolutely can't be afraid of that. If you can't hold onto your beliefs and have confidence in your own beliefs in something as insignificant as video game speculation, how the sunshining **** are you going to have a backbone for the important ****? I want to set an example by hard stressing that there's nothing wrong with being wrong as long as you adjust things in the face of new evidence. I'm not asking people to be bigots, I'm asking people to stand for something and actually have enough confidence in themselves that the simple act of being wrong doesn't totally destroy them. I don't want to be Geno Jesus but, Heil Mary, full of Grace, why does this keep getting shoved in my face?

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
I'm picturing Smash Ultimate as college, and the reason Geno isn't in Smash yet is because he's helping the others study.

D

Deleted member

I get that i’m wynn 2 at this point, I already acknowledged that.

I just think that with every single “theory” getting BTFO at this DLC reveal that we really should stop putting stock into those kinds of things. Just a while ago Fatman was telling us how he thought Geno was guarenteed to come before E3 yet now he’s saying it is an E3 reveal, when to be honest, Geno has always struck me as a Nintendo Direct reveal and never an E3 thing. Also, can’t wait for DLC 6 to just be some random 2010 era character instead of Weird Al Yankovic aka totally not Waluigi and everyone gives up on that as well just like we all gave up on Dovahkiin. The cycle is starting to become plainly obvious.
That’s part of speculation. Theories get right and wrong. A theory is not definitive. Anything could happen. I personally see Waluigi a good possibility but wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t happen. If Geno didn’t happen at E3, you’re gonna say he’s not gonna happen too huh? I don’t about know you, but we think it’s not over until Sakurai says it’s over.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Let the criticisms roll off your back. You're an accomplished man with inside info, you don't need to prove this to everyone because they are true, and if you know it, who gives a **** what others think?

Death threats are absolutely terrible, but you don't gotta prove things to these horrible people.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Who wants to bet we'll reach 1000 music tracks or so by the third DLC character of this new Fighter Pass? I did the math, and with the 3H tracks and Floral Fury, we have exactly 968 so far

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Who wants to bet we'll reach 1000 music tracks or so by the third DLC character of this new Fighter Pass? I did the math, and with the 3H tracks and Floral Fury, we have exactly 968 so far
We're almost there, it's amazing how many songs the game has

JoscarGamma

Smash Apprentice
Talked with a confidant today and they pitched at me yet another rumor I've seen people volleyballing around. Seems like a lot of people are in agreement that Byleth wasn't always meant to 5. My theory was that Ryu was cut and Byleth plugged the hole. Here's an alternative explanation I'm now hearing:

Blythe was supposed to be a base roster character but Three Pouches got delayed and thus all the Free Couches content was put on hold. To make up for this, Blythe was stuck on the end and our real 5 was moved to 6. So... What could this mean? Two possible things in my opinion:

-Paraleak was actually right and the Aubergine Avenger was originally supposed to be 5 but moved to 6.

-Shifty and Brew were right and Ryu was originally supposed to be 5 but moved to 6.

What's ironic about this situation is that it supports the idea that either of these characters was actually leakbait or flat out misinformation for Byleth, a character created by Nintendo and Koei Tecmo. Fun stuff.
I’m trying to understand the theory behind this, at least some sort of clarification.

Blyeth was supposed to be part of the base roster, but was put on hiatus.

Ryu Hayabusa was agreed on and was in development, but during development he was dropped and then replaced with Blythe?

So is Ryu then on hold and could be developed and then released later, or just dropped entirely?

I assume it’s just speculation and it’s all up in the air. I’m just curious about this and like to entertain the idea

Axelocke

Smash Journeyman
The concern trolls are out in full force today, huh?
They were wrong about K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo. Let's just watch history repeat itself. I'm sure they'll talk about how much they really wanted Geno after the fact. Hoes mad and all that.
I agree, it has happened with K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo, as you've said.

Personally, at this point, he's in. Simple as that, Cacomallow or not, it does not take 407 days (since Smash Ultimate released) for them to port a Mii Costume from Smash 4.

Before reveal:

1579371353243.png

After reveal:

1579371776177.png

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fatmanonice Fatmanonice Let the criticisms roll off your back. You're an accomplished man with inside info, you don't need to prove this to everyone because they are true, and if you know it, who gives a **** what others think?

Death threats are absolutely terrible, but you don't gotta prove things to these horrible people.
Sorry, I just have to vent every once in a while because, much like a stool sample from Donkey Kong, this **** is bananas. As others have pointed out, I'm justifiably mad and when people come in here to say "well, have you tried NOT being mad about being harassed", it makes me a bit irate alongside the excruciatingly prevalent idea that if were to get hurt or even killed by a crazed Smash fan over video game rumors, it would be 100% my fault. No trace of irony, said with 100% seriousness. RIP Fatman: Stabbed in the Face with a Spoon (He Totally Deserved It). These are grown ass adults pushing this idea and that's terrifying and today's episode was brought to you by: holy ****, this is not okay.

D

Deleted member

A question that crossed my mind. Given that Yoko Shimomura composed most of the original tracks for Super Mario RPG and isn't stingy like Sugiyama or Uematsu, how many at bare minimum do you think we'll get alongside Geno and the stage?
I would say probably 15.

D

Deleted member

We all need to stop clinging to bull**** rumors and theories, that is what is killing us, as a fanbase.

An expectation for something not guarenteed is, frankly, a death sentence.

Cacomallow is fake. I have no idea why people are still trying to keep to alive when Fighter 5 was literally a make or break for it.

Like I said, the only rumor still alive is the Mallow/Smithy leak and even then, we don’t know the specifics or if this particular leaker was trying to troll Geno fans by throwing fake information into a pile of real information.

Geno could be an upgraded Mii Costume, and we all need to prepare ourselves for that scenario because as i’ve clarified ad nauseum, the Fighter’s Pass 2 is just as ill suited for Geno as the first one was

-Sora
-Crono
-Lara
-2B

4 possible Square Enix reps that could come with a Geno costume in their pack.
You've riled up a lot of folks here over the past few days which I feel is a little odd for a guy who said he was driven to the edge by this speculation business and needed to quit because of how toxic the community at large was getting. I felt bad for you, honestly. For some folks, the uncaring nature of internet culture isn't that big a deal, but it's more real to others and while I will always disagree with policing tone, I can't help but sympathize for those who, to use a turn of phrase, "can't handle the heat".

But for you to come back and start flinging doom and gloom is a look that makes me say you need to take a break and find something better and more fulfilling to do with your time .

According to your profile, you're 19. Smash Bros, as a franchise, will be turning 21 this year, and while I hate to be like this, you have not been a functioning human being long enough to tell the bulk of us in this thread about having expectations or whether or not our theories are worth considering. We've dealt with disappointment so many times at this point that we're on a first name basis with it, and that's in Smash alone. Disappointment is a drinking buddy of ours and we invite it to our family outings. Maybe this is your first rodeo and your dreams were coming true when you first started dreaming of characters in Smash, but for us, this is old hat.

Let me simplify the situation: everyone knows the worst case scenario - Geno is not a playable fighter in Smash Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch. That's the bottom line, and how we get to that worst case is irrelevant. Costume upgrade, which so far we haven't seen despite the overwhelming amount of opportunities to do so? It doesn't matter, it already exists as a possibility in our minds. Costume never comes back? We know. Geno added in as an assist trophy? Yeah, it could happen.

The point to this thread and any other character support thread isn't that it might never happen. We're beyond that possibility because the nature of reality is simply that while the character is not in as a fighter, we aren't "losing" something, if that makes sense to you. If they deconfirm Geno, we're not experiencing a net loss, it's not like we played the pre-release where he's in and they cut him for some reason.

Go tell some other support thread to quit talking theories and see where that nonsense gets you. I hate to have a victim complex but I swear the Geno thread is the only specific, dedicated thread where people come by and are outright allowed to tell us to stop having fun. If we have some evidence, no matter how shaky, it's good evidence until proven fake, and unless you want to put yourself as a developer, I don't think you can prove it fake with the same tired arguments we've seen for virtually your entire life, and you sure as **** will not win hearts and minds by just telling us to abandon theorycraft because it's all wrong every time anyway.

"Why live if you're just going to die anyway?"

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Sorry, I just have to vent every once in a while because, much like a stool sample from Donkey Kong, this **** is bananas. As others have pointed out, I'm justifiably mad and when people come in here to say "well, have you tried NOT being mad about being harassed", it makes me a bit irate alongside the excruciatingly prevalent idea that if were to get hurt or even killed by a crazed Smash fan over video game rumors, it would be 100% my fault. No trace of irony, said with 100% seriousness. RIP Fatman: Stabbed in the Face with a Spoon (He Totally Deserved It). These are grown ass adults pushing this idea and that's terrifying and today's episode was brought to you by: holy ****, this is not okay.
Well let me personally apologize if it seems as though I've downplayed your problems. It just seems like you're going through a rough time and I dont want you to be this upset. But I'm sorry because I 100% sounded as though you have easy things to work through, when it's clearly not, **** these people that are attacking you like that. Especially over a Smash Bros. character. Complete bs man.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Something else I just looked into, because why the hell not!? There was this Fire Emblem Direct back in January 2017 that announced that a game for the Switch was happening and was announced for 2018. But it got delayed to Spring 2019. So if the original plan was to have a new Fire Emblem guy for Smash base, it could have been changed because of the delay.

Also, lets get crazy for a second! PPlant was gonna be base, yeah? And Byleth was gonna be base...it would make this ONE addition to Ultimate that I personally thought odd, but cool. August Smash Direct 2018. We get the mother of reveals in one go. Simon with Richter echo, Dark Samus echo, K.Rool...and Chrom echo. IF PP and Byleth were suppose to be in base game, this would compliment each other that much more. Lets look at this a bit.

PP with Daisy as an echo for Peach = 2 Mario Reps
Ridley with Dark Samus = 2 Metroid Reps
Byleth and Chrom = 2 Fire Emblem Reps
Simon and Richter = 2 Castlevania Reps
Ken would be the exception because, the father of all ECHOES!

IDK just something I noticed that I thought was something to bring up. I think it is farfetched, but maybe it could be something.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’m concerned for Fatman, sharing personal info isn’t the way to go; however, he seems alright now, so I guess it’s all good?

I can imagine how he’s feeling, though; all the people threatening him and willing to do bad things to him all over videogames, and repeatedly calling him a liar or crazy or whatever? I may not share personal info or whatever if it happened to me, but I’d be pretty fed up with it all, too, and get mad myself. There are some real scumbags out there, and it’s disappointing how even the better people whom are against Fatman continue to feed into the misunderstanding and crap on him whenever he’s mentioned. “Oh, Burb’s here! Let’s see what he says to Fatman!” They immediately assume he’s a liar and bash him, some doing so even after he and Burb settled things and aren’t at each other anymore. Admittedly, I thought maybe he was lying after that, too, as I was told he has lied before (I was told that sometime before that event happened), though I mostly pushed that to the side as Fatman seemed clearly genuine to me. I didn’t really remember all the things he said, though, and I didn’t crap on him nor hard believe he was definitely lying, even if I mentioned what I was told and thought during the time, I just sat to see what they all said and continued to believe Fatman was definitely a good person even if he did lie.

Everything he was accused of lying about, however, he never did lie about. The starling? No, he thought it could be for Smash and speculated with us, but even warned that it was possibly for something else. The Power of Six theory? Maybe he didn’t say who came up with it often, but he did say who came up with it at least a few times and definitely the first time he brought it here, but never claimed it as his own, yet I guess he has to mention the person who thought of it every single time he posts about it for some reason, as if we can’t easily remember that info. The characters he speculated about because of info from the discord? He was never accused of lying about that. There was a time he thought Sabi made the Jonesy leak, but that was simply a misunderstanding Sabi himself quickly cleared up; oh, and we all already know how Fatman got kicked out and thrown under the bus for things Sabi gave him permission for.

I hope you feel better about things, Fatmanonice Fatmanonice . It’s disappointing how everyone drives you nuts over videogame stuff, not willing to leave you alone, and it’s disappointing how even people on this site continue to laugh at you and call you a liar and fraud when the only time you lied was to keep us from getting mad at Sabi and whoever for kicking you out for stupid reasons. We’re all human beings, we shouldn’t have to deal with being constantly crapped on and whatever stuff like that, especially not over a dang videogame.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Man, Geno is a cool character and would be neat in Super Smash Bros Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch, huh? There are a lot of Mario RPG games and I feel they could use some real representation. Square Enix does have a lot of famous characters though, but I still think Geno has a shot regardless ^^

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I’m trying to understand the theory behind this, at least some sort of clarification.

Blyeth was supposed to be part of the base roster, but was put on hiatus.

Ryu Hayabusa was agreed on and was in development, but during development he was dropped and then replaced with Blythe?

So is Ryu then on hold and could be developed and then released later, or just dropped entirely?

I assume it’s just speculation and it’s all up in the air. I’m just curious about this and like to entertain the idea
For the sake of reference, here's all the fun theories I've heard in the last *checks calendar* two days...

Main theory: Blythe wasn't supposed to be 5.

Path One: Blythe was supposed to be in the base game but was delayed because Three Houses was delayed.

-Blythe became 5 and the original 5 was made into 6.

-Paraleak: Waluigi was originally 5.

-Shiftybrew: Ryu was originally 5.

-The character not 6 was potentially leakbait or misinformation for Blythe. (Both Ryu and Waluigi can't be real according to this path.)

Path Two: Blythe was a late addition and replaced the original 5.

-Character 5 got cut for some odd reason.

-Character 5 was supposed to be Ryu or Waluigi. (Either is totally gone now.)

Common rumor: a couple of confidants have been told by their own sources that 6 can be described as "Dante or a Dante like character." Given the sheer amount of bamboozlery with Byleth, not sure how this would be known to this degree but I'm making note of it anyways.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
DLC Rankings:

-Piranha Plant (F)

-Joker (D)

-Hero (C)

-Banjo (A+)

-Terry (D)

-Byleth (C)

Cacomallow is real. Geno is in Smash. Fighter Pass 2 is going to actually be good

RuffyYoshi

Smash Journeyman
"Heil Mary, full of Grace, why does this keep getting shoved in my face?"
"much like a stool sample from Donkey Kong, this **** is bananas"

*creates new Notes file and names it Fatman One-Liners*
These are perfect to enhance my social skills as an introvert. Keep em coming Fatmanonice Fatmanonice !

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Man, Geno is a cool character and would be neat in Super Smash Bros Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch, huh? There are a lot of Mario RPG games and I feel they could use some real representation. Square Enix does have a lot of famous characters though, but I still think Geno has a shot regardless ^^
I really don't want to try and put down fans of the other Square characters (or as I like to call them "Squaracters") but I feel as though all the others have bigger road blocks than Geno to getting in.

Sora: Disney association, even if Disney is very easy to work with regarding licensing, I don't think Sakurai and the gang are gonna want to put a bunch of Disney characters in the game in any way, shape or form. Sora's got a Mikey Mouse keychain on his damn key for God's sake! The two are kinda inseparable. Not to mention, I feel as though Sakurai's call out about Twitter users was a direct jab at Sora fans seeing as how that incident was only a month prior to the video's recording, which doesn't help Sora too much.

2B: CERO wouldn't even let Mai in as a background character, like hell they're going to allow 2B in this as a fully playable character. I get Bayonetta can be rather suggestive too, but a good deal of it comes from her shrinking clothes when she uses her hair attacks, which obviously isn't present in Smash.

Crono: Chrono Trigger's main claim to fame was SNES game released in 1995 and has not had a title since 1999 (over 2 decades). Now, I know that's rich coming from someone on the Geno thread, but that puts him on the same footing as Geno at best. But then you have to remember that, even though
Crono has had a decent sized fanbase for a while, it's never been as large or widely recognized as Geno's. I know that I'm not measuring this scientifically, but who was the one who got a Mii Costume in Smash? I just don't see why they'd add a character from the less requested dormant Square franchise instead of the more requested one.

Lara Croft: I feel like she suffers many of the same issues as 2B, one of her big claims to fame back in the PS1 Era was having massive, blocky boobs. Not to mention Tomb Raider's hay day (again, rich coming from me, I know) was still, like, 2 decades ago. She has a leg up on Crono though because she has had games released in this millennium (one even in 2018, apparently) but her Smash support has been limited at best. I get some people want her, but she's a name that comes up only so much. Not to mention it was only acquired by Square in 2010 and was primarily a western character, which makes things more difficult.

Sephiroth (or any other FF character really): They've never double dipped in the same third party franchise besides echoes, so I don't see it happening. While it's technically a fan rule, I don't see them doing it unless the character has significant support or is a shill pick. After Cloud, there's been little to no support for any other FF characters getting in (at least from what I can tell). It just doesn't make sense to add a second FF character after Cloud.

These are the only Squaracters I see brought up often and why I don't think any of em have much of a shot. Which only makes Geno's Mii Costume missing more curious as if not with another Squarachter, then who?

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
For the sake of reference, here's all the fun theories I've heard in the last *checks calendar* two days...

Main theory: Blythe wasn't supposed to be 5.

Path One: Blythe was supposed to be in the base game but was delayed because Three Houses was delayed.

-Blythe became 5 and the original 5 was made into 6.

-Paraleak: Waluigi was originally 5.

-Shiftybrew: Ryu was originally 5.

-The character not 6 was potentially leakbait or misinformation for Blythe. (Both Ryu and Waluigi can't be real according to this path.)

Path Two: Blythe was a late addition and replaced the original 5.

-Character 5 got cut for some odd reason.

-Character 5 was supposed to be Ryu or Waluigi. (Either is totally gone now.)

Common rumor: a couple of confidants have been told by their own sources that 6 can be described as "Dante or a Dante like character." Given the sheer amount of bamboozlery with Byleth, not sure how this would be known to this degree but I'm making note of it anyways.
Obviously Sakurai, not knowing why people wanted waluigi, opted to give him a ninja style moveset because he felt he didn't have a lot to work with. Waluigi then stars in a new line of nintendo stealth games. BOOM.

Musubi

Smash Apprentice
So if Byleth was meant to be base game but moved to the Fighters pass, when do you think this decision would have been made? I don't remember exactly when they announced Three Houses would be delayed.

Do you think they made the decision before any work was done on Byleth? One argument I could see for Byleth being moved to DLC not being valid is that we had in-game data for Plant, Joker, and Hero at launch (or maybe it was one of the first updates after launch, I don't really remember), yet no data for a character that was meant to be base and then moved all the way to Fighter #5.

One more question. Why would Byleth be moved to DLC #5 and not an earlier spot? If the reasoning for moving Byleth to DLC was because Three Houses got delayed, why would they be moved to be released 6-7 months after their game came out?

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I really don't want to try and put down fans of the other Square characters (or as I like to call them "Squaracters") but I feel as though all the others have bigger road blocks than Geno to getting in.

Sora: Disney association, even if Disney is very easy to work with regarding licensing, I don't think Sakurai and the gang are gonna want to put a bunch of Disney characters in the game in any way, shape or form. Sora's got a Mikey Mouse keychain on his damn key for God's sake! The two are kinda inseparable. Not to mention, I feel as though Sakurai's call out about Twitter users was a direct jab at Sora fans seeing as how that incident was only a month prior to the video's recording, which doesn't help Sora too much.

2B: CERO wouldn't even let Mai in as a background character, like hell they're going to allow 2B in this as a fully playable character. I get Bayonetta can be rather suggestive too, but a good deal of it comes from her shrinking clothes when she uses her hair attacks, which obviously isn't present in Smash.

Crono: Chrono Trigger's main claim to fame was SNES game released in 1995 and has not had a title since 1999 (over 2 decades). Now, I know that's rich coming from someone on the Geno thread, but that puts him on the same footing as Geno at best. But then you have to remember that, even though
Crono has had a decent sized fanbase for a while, it's never been as large or widely recognized as Geno's. I know that I'm not measuring this scientifically, but who was the one who got a Mii Costume in Smash? I just don't see why they'd add a character from the less requested dormant Square franchise instead of the more requested one.

Lara Croft: I feel like she suffers many of the same issues as 2B, one of her big claims to fame back in the PS1 Era was having massive, blocky boobs. Not to mention Tomb Raider's hay day (again, rich coming from me, I know) was still, like, 2 decades ago. She has a leg up on Crono though because she has had games released in this millennium (one even in 2018, apparently) but her Smash support has been limited at best. I get some people want her, but she's a name that comes up only so much. Not to mention it was only acquired by Square in 2010 and was primarily a western character, which makes things more difficult.

Sephiroth (or any other FF character really): They've never double dipped in the same third party franchise besides echoes, so I don't see it happening. While it's technically a fan rule, I don't see them doing it unless the character has significant support or is a shill pick. After Cloud, there's been little to no support for any other FF characters getting in (at least from what I can tell). It just doesn't make sense to add a second FF character after Cloud.

These are the only Squaracters I see brought up often and why I don't think any of em have much of a shot. Which only makes Geno's Mii Costume missing more curious as if not with another Squarachter, then who?
Yeah I don’t want to put down people but I pretty much agree with all of those. 2B especially, like a major part of her design is that her entire ass is just out. And Geno has the distinction of being both a Squarachter (good portmanteau) and a Mario character, representing the good relationship between Square and Nintendo (then and now)

Droodle

Smash Lord

I agree on Crono and maybe Sephiroth and Sora; but I disagree on 2B and Lara Croft.

If you can't see the difference between 2B/Lara and Mai; you need to get your eyes checked.

That said, any Square Enix character + Sora have a low chance of happening. Literally the most likely one with no roadblocks is Bub and Bob; which would be cool. Everyone else has some sort of roadblock attached to them.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Goddamn it this is why our characters are taking so long!
We have K.Rool, Bellmont's, Ridley, Banjo, on top of having everyone back. I can understand the disappointment of another Fire Emblem character (speaking as someone that is hyped to try Byleth out). I really do. But acting as he doesn¨t put his blood sweat and tears into this game is just wrong

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Thinking on the Byleth thing, him being in the base roster would have made sense... It would explain the Fatal Frame assist trophy and spirits. Fatal Frame for the Wii U was published by Nintendo so, in a weird way, it's kind of similar to Bayonetta 2. This would also potentially explain why there have been no Tecmo Mii costumes. Other food for thought: every game since Brawl has had a totally new Fire Emblem character in the base roster.

"Hey, I heard character 5 was a Tecmo character."

"Oh, they must mean Ryu then."

****... I hate how plausible this is... On that note, what are the odds of two technical Tecmo characters in a row? As pointed out, Tecmo was involved in the base game but only with one game Nintendo published themselves. Goddamnit, if Ryu was misinformation/leakbait this whole time, I'm going to speculate on the internet and be justifiably killed by someone.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We didn't even know Three Houses was coming until January 2017. The base roster was decided in December 2015. Shadows of Valentia was still in development then so Three Houses wasn't even started.

Please let the idea that Byleth was "meant for the base roster" die.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
Catching up on a few posts:
I'm a bit more on the worried side of the affair. Mainly for the Paper Mario portion, since the last time we've tried a "return-to-form" esque reboot, Miyamoto went in and essentially mucked it up by forbidding the creation of friendly "enemy" characters like Goombelle or Koops, as well as the teams behind Sticker Star and Color Splash making the games grindfests with regards to stickers, coins, and/or paint. If this Paper Mario reboot is true, then I hope that he has some say, but not all the say on how Paper Mario goes. Why not a Boshi type Yoshi? Why not a Goombelle? Why not even a villain like Count Bleck or the Shadow Queen, whom operate outside of Bowser's range? There's a lot to say, but I feel ill equipped to say it, though I hope am I aiming at the right direction with regards to the above criticism.
I'm sure Miyamoto has seen the massive backlash of Sticker Star, and to a lesser extent Color Splash by now. There's no way this would happen a third time, and I'm sure if Square were to be involved, they sure as **** wouldn't let that happen again. Remember, the last collab the two companies did, they made SMRPG. I doubt an SMRPG 2 would be bad. My only worry would be them trying to make more of an action RPG or something else, like what Super Paper Mario was (a massive disappointment for people wanting a JRPG like the previous PMs), and even moreso SS/CS (people wanting a JRPG that isn't a terrible game with terrible everything else).

PS/Hot Take: I wish Miyamoto would retire, at least when it comes to spin-offs. He really needs to stop stifling creative decisions because "muh simplicity". Yes, he's among the gods of game design and done so much for the industry, but his thoughts on stuff like Paper Mario just don't apply anymore. If they want to consult him for advice that's one thing, but he should absolutely not have the pull he does, because that's how we end up with stuff like Sticker Star.

8 minimum, 10 if they wanna give a bit extra, 15 if they want to really push the great soundtrack, and 20 if they're absolute gods.

I picked out a list of 10 songs yesterday that I think would well-represent SMRPG, and was able to pretty easily push it to 15. 20 would be a lot more difficult and require a ton more remixes made (as many of those 10-15 would require remixes to begin with to switch from "RPG battle music" to "Smash battle music". If you'd like to see said list, here ya go.

Let's just assume that Cloud is a good enough rep for all of Final Fantasy and (the 4) Hero(es) good enough for all of DQ. Total longshot, but let's just assume that for a sec. The other non-Geno reps I could see getting in (in order of when I saw them on SE's list of series on Wikipedia) would be:
- Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
- ??? (Bravely Default) [Honestly there's a handful of characters I could see, namely Anges, but I think Edea or Ringabel would be better choices just because they aren't boring characters like her. Kit would be the same regardless since you can build them however you want].
- Crono (Chrono Trigger)

There might be games on there that are bigger than I realize, but I haven't heard or seen much off of the above list, and a handful of other FF reps (mostly from FF6 or more from 7 such as Sephiroth). Should SE be giving us a non-FF/DQ character in FP2, Geno has a pretty great chance here. If they're capable of putting Sora in though, a lot of hope is lost since Sora is probably the most requested across the board. People really love KH (for some reason; IMO it's okay).

Last edited:

Loog

Smash Apprentice
So if Byleth was meant to be base game but moved to the Fighters pass, when do you think this decision would have been made? I don't remember exactly when they announced Three Houses would be delayed.

Do you think they made the decision before any work was done on Byleth? One argument I could see for Byleth being moved to DLC not being valid is that we had in-game data for Plant, Joker, and Hero at launch (or maybe it was one of the first updates after launch, I don't really remember), yet no data for a character that was meant to be base and then moved all the way to Fighter #5.

One more question. Why would Byleth be moved to DLC #5 and not an earlier spot? If the reasoning for moving Byleth to DLC was because Three Houses got delayed, why would they be moved to be released 6-7 months after their game came out?
It was probably done to have people not lose interest early on. By releasing it in the end many people would have already purchased the fighter pass.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, if Tansut's TWEWY 2 leak is correct; Neku is also a potential rival to Geno. As far as I know, he doesn't have any roadblocks either.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
We didn't even know Three Houses was coming until January 2017. The base roster was decided in December 2015. Shadows of Valentia was still in development then so Three Houses wasn't even started.

Given you're the patron saint of Chrom, I hate to do this but:

"Following the unexpected success of Fire Emblem Awakening for the Nintendo 3DS—which helped save the series from cancellation after flagging sales of earlier entries—the Fire Emblem series gained renewed commercial value and prompted developer Intelligent Systems and publisher Nintendo to bring the series back to home consoles for the first time since Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn in 2007.[10] Concept development for Three Houses began in 2015 following the completion of Fire Emblem Fates for the 3DS.[11] The team originally planned for Three Houses to be another 3DS title. This was scrapped when production began on Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, resulting in Three Houses being briefly put on hold.[11][9] When the team learned of the Nintendo Switch, they decided to make the game for home consoles.[11] "

Polarthief

Smash Lord

There's no way Three Houses was made in about 2.5 years; I refuse to believe it was that short. They absolutely could have worked on the two games side-by-side for a period of time.

While I don't think Byleth was "meant" for the base roster, I feel like they would have been better suited there. If not, I do believe they would have been better earlier in FP1 or put in FP2 instead.

Concept development for Three Houses began in 2015
I went to the same page and I really should have read it better, but without even seeing the proof, I knew it took longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom