• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
I’ve noticed a difference in my maturity level too since those days. I wouldn’t say I’d get into it with people, but I handle things much more diplomatically this time around. I try and look at things objectively with more logic than opinions. I’m 27 now working for a Fortune 500 company, so that humbled and matured me a bit. But I still feel like a kid inside when it comes to Smash speculation.

Man, I am in the same boat! 31 years old here, it seems like a lifetime ago I was rooting for Geno in Brawl. I really like the fact that so many Geno supporters are still here. We're a special fandom, I'd say!

MattX20

Smash Hero
I turn 28 tomorrow myself, and it would be one hell of a birthday gift if he were revealed tomorrow.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
30 here, veteran of 5 smash games and two active tours of speculation seasons and one minor in DLC speculation... the years have grown heavy on us but still we hold out hope for Geno.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I've got to say, as much as I supported Super Mario RPG on Wii VC (And was ecstatic when it released), I never took Geno seriously for Smash until this one just because I never expected him to even be in the world of possibility. I was also a little bit admittedly blinded by my desire of Ridley. King K. Rool, and Mewtwo for Smash 4's speculation and Brawl I was too young to really care properly and was just excited by everything.

Despite all that, I'm a very happy person to be a part of this game's hype cycle with Geno in mind. Given how much I love Super Mario RPG, the feelings of validation for loving that particular game are shared with the possibility of Geno in Smash.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I turn 28 tomorrow myself, and it would be one hell of a birthday gift if he were revealed tomorrow.
Holy crap, your birthday is tomorrow too? That's awesome!

And yeah, I guess a lot of us would be in our late 20's-early 30's given when Super Mario RPG first came out. Which, ironically enough, is the prime demographic for the Nintendo Switch... here's to hoping Nintendo shows us older gamers some love and puts Geno on the roster by the end of the year. Here's to hoping.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Holy crap, your birthday is tomorrow too? That's awesome!

And yeah, I guess a lot of us would be in our late 20's-early 30's given when Super Mario RPG first came out. Which, ironically enough, is the prime demographic for the Nintendo Switch... here's to hoping Nintendo shows us older gamers some love and puts Geno on the roster by the end of the year. Here's to hoping.
I just wish we were given an idea of how many unique newcomers were coming.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have been wondering and I figured this would be a good topic, how would Geno's reveal change the landscape of Smash speculation as well as the fandom at large? It would certainly change the prediction chances for certain characters, that's for sure.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I have been wondering and I figured this would be a good topic, how would Geno's reveal change the landscape of Smash speculation as well as the fandom at large? It would certainly change the prediction chances for certain characters, that's for sure.
It would essentially kill off the "relevancy is all that matters" arguement when it comes to newcomers. Sakurai and the Smash developers care about older characters along with newer ones.

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I would never ask for anything again. Geno is the only character I ever wanted.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That, and Geno's confirmation would finally shut up the arguement of "too minor a character or an assist trophy worthy only" or "Sakurai's only looking at main characters from games with a chance of getting more installments."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm 31. Mario RPG was my favorite game in middle school but I didn't get to own it until after the N64 was already out. Ironically probably around the same time Smash 64 came out. Bought it at a swap meet along with a turbo controller.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Alright, here's a good topic. For whatever reason, Forest Maze doesn't make it into the game. What other tracks from SMRPG would you choose? Here's mine.

I'd like to see this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
Alright, here's a good topic. For whatever reason, Forest Maze doesn't make it into the game. What other tracks from SMRPG would you choose? Here's mine.
I would love to hear a remix of this one:

Runner-up would of course be the other Booster Tower song:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I'm 21 and I first played SMRPG when I was like 6 or 7 and I loved it so much so I'm very attached to the game and characters. I remember recording the boss music in my crappy phone in like 2007 and listening to it many times.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It would essentially kill off the "relevancy is all that matters" arguement when it comes to newcomers. Sakurai and the Smash developers care about older characters along with newer ones.
Beyond Geno, I want this more than anything. Even if it's true that they choose most of the characters on relevancy, that doesn't mean it has to be all of them. I know people will point their fingers at certain communities and how vocal they can be about this character being deserving in the game or being better fits, but honestly the worst part of Smash speculation I've seen is the people who use the relevancy argument to shoot down characters and other people's hopes for the game. I've seen so many people use that line of thinking to beat down opinions of characters too many times at this point. Yes, several characters are not relevant to modern Nintendo or have limited appearances, or even limited fan bases.

So what? What does that matter in a game that is a celebration of all things Nintendo and gaming? Obscure characters deserve just as much light as main characters, and as long as Sakurai believes in their move set potential, he can realize any character. There's no such thing as a bad character for Smash if they're coming from Nintendo in my mind. Even third parties get a significant amount of leeway in that department even if I'm not completely willing to open the flood gates to third party characters quite yet, especially those that have less relations with Nintendo in the grand scheme of things.

Beyond that, what I perhaps hate most of these relevancy discussions is that it devalues all the work and effort Sakurai puts into these games. They act as if Smash is only an advertising machine for what is popular at Nintendo at the time, and that couldn't be further from the truth. From everything we've seen, Sakurai adores the game and puts his heart and soul into it. Even if corporate has made requests, he's worked so hard to bring us years of entertainment and deliver a product with soul that does call back to as much of the previous history in Nintendo he can. He brought attention to Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. Characters that no one had any idea about prior to Smash. I'd argue Earthbound's modern release and the localization of the original Mother come from his work in making a niche franchise recognizable. Fire Emblem owes everything to Smash, and the Kid Icarus revival owes everything to Smash and Sakurai. Irrelevant and strange characters have made it in to the game, and Smash is a second chances for characters and games to get recognition they might otherwise never see. In addition, everything about Ultimate points to Sakurai making the fans his number one goal of satisfying.

Beyond all of this, the trio I support of Ridley, King K. Rool, and Geno would be the validation of all characters in a way in they're all in. Ridley proves that no character is "too big" or doesn't fit Smash. King K. Rool proves that bigger names from the past can still make it in to Smash. Finally Geno proves that, yes, any one-off character can make it in to Smash, as long as they have a following and support. Smash speculation would be split absolutely open, and the relevancy argument would lose a lot of its clout. I know it's foolish to assign so much more additional meaning to Geno's inclusion, but I believe it at this point.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I'm one of the few (or many) that hadn't played the game in their childhood. My love for Geno sprouted through the internet, but before I had even seen any Brawl speculation. I am 17 at the moment and the internet starting to get BIG when I was 6 or 7. Things like Kirbopher's animations/music videos about SMRPG and the playthroughs and guides were what exposed me to him. I only had a DS and a Wii at the time, so I wasn't able to play the actual game until much much later. Now that I have a proper SNES and a copy of SMRPG, I can appreciate the game he's from and the story and characters within it.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Beyond Geno, I want this more than anything. Even if it's true that they choose most of the characters on relevancy, that doesn't mean it has to be all of them. I know people will point their fingers at certain communities and how vocal they can be about this character being deserving in the game or being better fits, but honestly the worst part of Smash speculation I've seen is the people who use the relevancy argument to shoot down characters and other people's hopes for the game. I've seen so many people use that line of thinking to beat down opinions of characters too many times at this point. Yes, several characters are not relevant to modern Nintendo or have limited appearances, or even limited fan bases.

So what? What does that matter in a game that is a celebration of all things Nintendo and gaming? Obscure characters deserve just as much light as main characters, and as long as Sakurai believes in their move set potential, he can realize any character. There's no such thing as a bad character for Smash if they're coming from Nintendo in my mind. Even third parties get a significant amount of leeway in that department even if I'm not completely willing to open the flood gates to third party characters quite yet, especially those that have less relations with Nintendo in the grand scheme of things.

Beyond that, what I perhaps hate most of these relevancy discussions is that it devalues all the work and effort Sakurai puts into these games. They act as if Smash is only an advertising machine for what is popular at Nintendo at the time, and that couldn't be further from the truth. From everything we've seen, Sakurai adores the game and puts his heart and soul into it. Even if corporate has made requests, he's worked so hard to bring us years of entertainment and deliver a product with soul that does call back to as much of the previous history in Nintendo he can. He brought attention to Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. Characters that no one had any idea about prior to Smash. I'd argue Earthbound's modern release and the localization of the original Mother come from his work in making a niche franchise recognizable. Fire Emblem owes everything to Smash, and the Kid Icarus revival owes everything to Smash and Sakurai. Irrelevant and strange characters have made it in to the game, and Smash is a second chances for characters and games to get recognition they might otherwise never see. In addition, everything about Ultimate points to Sakurai making the fans his number one goal of satisfying.

Beyond all of this, the trio I support of Ridley, King K. Rool, and Geno would be the validation of all characters in a way in they're all in. Ridley proves that no character is "too big" or doesn't fit Smash. King K. Rool proves that bigger names from the past can still make it in to Smash. Finally Geno proves that, yes, any one-off character can make it in to Smash, as long as they have a following and support. Smash speculation would be split absolutely open, and the relevancy argument would lose a lot of its clout. I know it's foolish to assign so much more additional meaning to Geno's inclusion, but I believe it at this point.
Since I cannot like something more than once myself, I felt it necessary to respond to this, if only to say...

Simply spectacular. Well done, sir. Thank you for saying what should be said more!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would finally get people to seriously consider supporting characters from yesteryear on a grander scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITLpdASZO5M
Barrel Volcano, Bowser's Keep and the Smithy Gang boss theme.

Also, for the record, I'm turning 31 this month.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mario RPG was my favorite game even though I didn't own it because I rented it all the time. thought I should clarify.

Playing through others saves and trying to get through one between renting periods increased it's mystique. Also, I used the "internet" on a 56k modem to look up fan sites and all the info I could find even though I didn't own it.

SuperNintendoDisney

Smash Journeyman
I don’t normally do this, but I’ll be 29 this year, and with more adult responsibility fast approaching, I have been unable to participate in Smash speculation this season.

I can still remember playing the original Smash Bros., almost 20 years ago now, thinking how great it would be if Geno was in the game. Super Mario RPG was only 3 years old at the time. There wasn’t much speculation between the original and Melee, with the Internet still in its infancy.

Brawl speculation was wild though. There were just so many great characters left to pick from, since even Diddy Kong wasn’t confirmed. Smash 4 speculation became tedious as the possible newcomers started to become less certain.

This will probably be my final ride on the hype train for newcomer speculation. It was great to be apart of this scene from the very beggining. I can say this for certain, there are only two characters left who have retained their immense popularity and have been highly requested since Melee. Geno and K Rool. With Ridley gone, they are the last remaining two, not counting Banjo-Kazooie.

Incidently, these are my most wanted newcomers. It’s hard to believe that after all these years, Geno has his best chance at finally joining the cast of Smash Bros., with so many things in his favor. My inner child would be so incredibly happy to see Geno in Super Smash Bros., after hoping for almost 20 years

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I don’t normally do this, but I’ll be 29 this year, and with more adult responsibility fast approaching, I have been unable to participate in Smash speculation this season.

I can still remember playing the original Smash Bros., almost 20 years ago now, thinking how great it would be if Geno was in the game. Super Mario RPG was only 3 years old at the time. There wasn’t much speculation between the original and Melee, with the Internet still in its infancy.

Brawl speculation was wild though. There were just so many great characters left to pick from, since even Diddy Kong wasn’t confirmed. Smash 4 speculation became tedious as the possible newcomers started to become less certain.

This will probably be my final ride on the hype train for newcomer speculation. It was great to be apart of this scene from the very beggining. I can say this for certain, there are only two characters left who have retained their immense popularity and have been highly requested since Melee. Geno and K Rool. With Ridley gone, they are the last remaining two, not counting Banjo-Kazooie.

Incidently, these are my most wanted newcomers. It’s hard to believe that after all these years, Geno has his best chance at finally joining the cast of Smash Bros., with so many things in his favor. My inner child would be so incredibly happy to see Geno in Super Smash Bros., after hoping for almost 20 years
Yeah, I can remember Geno and Mallow being on my custom roster during the Melee days.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'm 26 years old. I played SMRPG later in life. I had fallen in love with the various Mario RPGs series after playing TTYD and Super Star Saga. so in my search for others I heard of the very first one and somehow was able to buy a used copy (luckly back then it wasn't super expensive) I fell in love with the game and Geno. and wanted him in ever since.

I remember brawl speculation. even before the game was announced I saw some fake leak about a new smash with Geno and Prof Layton in it and wanted so badly for it to be true.

smash 4 I still pushed for him. but was more unsure of it's possibilities. but this time I am getting the sense that Sakurai is gonna be looking to the fan service picks. since with so many characters in already it seems like the pool of obvious picks had declined.

And now that Ridley is in, a character I always wanted but never thought I'd actually get. my hopes are super high! and I think a few of my biggest dream characters might come through. Geno, K. Rool. possibly even Simon belmont if I'm lucky and that leak turns out to be true.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Geno Final Smash Summon Stars attack players it will be similar to Ness or Lucas.

Wambo

Smash Ace
I'm really freaking scared that Geno won't make it in this game. For whatever reason, I feel like Sakurai is just gonna stuff in more human and FE characters and ignore fan favorites with unique designs like Geno and K.Rool.

I mean, he put in Ridley, so I could be wrong. It's entirely possible that Geno and K.Rool could still make it in, and maybe things like the ballot theory is true. My only hope is that there weren't a million kids that spammed "Minecraft Steve" into the ballot...

We seriously need a reveal soon. This is making me so stressed.

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I'm really freaking scared that Geno won't make it in this game. For whatever reason, I feel like Sakurai is just gonna stuff in more human and FE characters and ignore fan favorites with unique designs like Geno and K.Rool.

I mean, he put in Ridley, so I could be wrong. It's entirely possible that Geno and K.Rool could still make it in, and maybe things like the ballot theory is true. My only hope is that there weren't a million kids that spammed "Minecraft Steve" into the ballot...

It's still early man. gotta be patient. even if Geno's reveal isn't next it could be after that. or even if he isn't in there is still DLC. (which I think he'll likely get in even before DLC) I think we have quite a bit working in our favor.
there really are not that many characters that would really have priority anymore so I think this is the year of the long time fan favorites.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

We've only gotten a teaser trainer and the first trailer.

At least this cycle we won't have to worry about veteran returns an stuff

Let's at least wait until we get another newcomer and see what direction the newcomers are going.

So far we got the new popular character in the Inklings and an old favorite of the western audience in Ridley. No pattern we can discern from that

Oh, and Daisy. Who is an echo.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
We've only gotten a teaser trainer and the first trailer.

At least this cycle we won't have to worry about veteran returns an stuff

Let's at least wait until we get another newcomer and see what direction the newcomers are going.

So far we got the new popular character in the Inklings and an old favorite of the western audience in Ridley. No pattern we can discern from that

Oh, and Daisy. Who is an echo.
well said! but man. now I'm getting excited for the next reveal just so we can get a better idea what the direction is!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I am 17 I feel like I am one of the youngest Geno fan and the only Arabian one out there and i became a BIG fan of SMRPG since 2013 before I even played it thanks to loopy-lupe amazing SMRPG comics collection that she has created I did bring a lot of SMRPG contents over the years from regular drawing to sprites to 600+ SMRPG post on miiverse to animations to 3D models and many more and I also dig deep into the internet to find some information about SMRPG that only Japanese sites has it

Now what do you think I am currently doing? I now reached the level to create this https://mobile.twitter.com/chicken_Morde/status/1012791339820277760
And this was posted by the person who taught me how to do all of these stuff in unity and now I bring SMRPG contents to VRChat and I even have a world

SMRPG really had a huge impact on my life and I never thought before that I would be ever able to do all of these stuff that I have done over the years
i am big supporter of Geno as always

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I am 17 I feel like I am one of the youngest Geno fan and the only Arabian one out there and i became a BIG fan of SMRPG since 2013 before I even played it thanks to loopy-lupe amazing SMRPG comics collection that she has created I did bring a lot of SMRPG contents over the years from regular drawing to sprites to 600+ SMRPG post on miiverse to animations to 3D models and many more and I also dig deep into the internet to find some information about SMRPG that only Japanese sites has it

Now what do you think I am currently doing? I now reached the level to create this https://mobile.twitter.com/chicken_Morde/status/1012791339820277760
And this was posted by the person who taught me how to do all of these stuff in unity and now I bring SMRPG contents to VRChat and I even have a world

SMRPG really had a huge impact on my life and I never thought before that I would be ever able to do all of these stuff that I have done over the years
i am big supporter of Geno as always
Heh, I'm 17 too, so I'm with ya dude.

Man, all this talk about SMRPG memories really does remind me of how obsessed I was with the game when I was younger. I played that lyrical remix of Forest Maze so many times that I'm pretty sure I bugged my brother a lot, haha. That song is probably what really made Geno stand out to me, since the lyrics were all about "Geno's Maze," and gave him an air of mystery. It made me really anticipate getting to the Forest Maze when I finally purchased the game on Wii VC.

I honestly feel like a poser for only getting excited at the thought of Geno in Smash now that things seem in his favor (Though I do remember looking at theoretical movesets for Geno in Brawl as a kid thinking how rad they were, heh), but I genuinely do want to see him now, it would actually be really nostalgic...Man, I really regret not making a vote for him in the ballot....

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
I just turned 30 a couple days ago. It seems like so long ago I first saw Mario RPG in my friend's basement. It was so different looking compared to what I'd been used to that I didn't really like it. However, once I rented it at video connection a few weeks later, I became obsessed with the game, and it wound up being one of my favorites of all time.

I've wanted Geno since the pre-melee days. I remember when I got my Nintendo Power in the mail that showed Bowser and Peach were playable characters. I had two thoughts:
1. Bowser is gonna be way too strong/be the best.
2. With Mario, Peach, and Bowser in, maybe Geno is in too!?!?!

I'm married now have a daughter, and have tons of real life responsibilities...but I can't help myself but get super hyped over all this speculation. I truly think this is the time Geno gets to join smash...I just hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment again

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
I'm 24 and first played SMRPG back when I was around the age of 3 or 4. I remember having a tough time back then with later bosses like Johnny and Yaridovich. Things that make me love the game so much are the dialogue, the art style, the story and last but not least the characters that are new to the game like the final boss and Geno. The time that I started really wanting Geno in Smash was actually not before Brawl released but afterwards when I saw that fake Brawl Geno footage on Youtube that was being talked about in this thread 1 or 2 pages ago. At that time it really hit me on how much I would love to see Geno come back from the dead and be playable in Smash. Plus the potential his moveset has? Yes please!

When Smash Wii U and 3DS was not yet released I was pushing for Geno and definitely voted for him once the ballot was live. So here I am, hoping that Sakurai finally made it happen after the previous 2 times of considering Geno. Maybe, just maybe, the ballot made Sakurai want to make that final push...
Please Square, Cloud and Geno.

On a final note, Sora is someone I do want but AFTER Geno. Even though I want Sora, I'd feel burned if he got in before Geno.

Last edited:

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Seeing everyone's hype slowly bubble up for Geno is contagious. I went and voted for him on the Reddit poll and when asked why, I said "Because I serve... a higher authority." :)

D

Deleted member

It just came to me that Geno is essentialy a toy who has come to life, just like how the Smash 64 intro started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom