• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Probably. Like I said, Game Freak knew they had ****ed up as early as E3 and knew people were voraciously pissed this outcome isn't surprising. I'm just surprised they decided to do the significantly less popular choice of DLC instead of Sinnoh remakes.
If I were to guess, this might be their attempt to try and rectify things in a way with S&S. Moving onto the remakes would certainly bring a sense of abandonment otherwise.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Also, I'll say it yet again. I'm a grown ass man and 32 years old; why would I lie, especially about a franchise that I barely care about anymore?
No offense to you Fatman, because you come off as a nice individual and I¨m not accusing you of this.
But there is grown-ups that make claims to get attention even if there is a subject that they don¨t care about (I¨ve meet people like that between four eyes), so that's not exactly a good defense. There is also the fact that you came out and said what your supposed sources said AFTER the direct and not before the direct.

But like I said. I¨m not accusing you of anything. Just trying to explain why CronorMike most likely has these assumptions like that...

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Yeah I remember those, but Isaac did come back after he was gone in Smash 4, and we got a glimpse of a custom stage with a green witch and after that we got Banjo, so it's up in the air.

Marth has an armor that's very similar to Arle's classic look including a headband, so adding Isabelle on his shoulder in a way is similar to numerous pics of Arle with that little luma-like creature on her shoulder. It's not 100% proof but it could be a hint, or just a fun reference and nothing more.

Another thing papa pointed out is the peace sign pose daisy has which is what modern Arle also does (dunno about classic, probably). I know many characters do that, but it's counted along with the other things, not by itself.

The color orange is missing from the pass with which Arle would fit well, so that's another since color theory (though weak) hasn't been killed thus far compared to other ones.

None of these guarantee it, but it's still a plausible arguement to be made if you ask me. In fact I would not be surprised (knowing Sakurai) if her default look was the classic look from the old Japanese Puyo-Puyo game that for some reason, we got on the SNES online. I think the SNES games were being added at the same time the Smash DLC was being negotiated for. Same with SNK on the Eshop.

All I'm saying is that we should at least put her in the 'maybe' category. It could be she's coming post Fighter's Pass for all we know.
First off, why would they hint something for post pass? Before we even know what FP5 is?

And honestly, the recent push by PapaGenos for Arle is honestly a microcosm of the confirmation bias of this community.

Company deconfirms character? They’re under a “NDA”.

Leakers with really good track records say who FP5 won’t be? (Which is what happened to Arle) They’re complete frauds, pay them no attention.

But random Sakurai pic of the day? Even though this has proven to be infallible with Isaac? 100% evidence for my most wanted!!!

And I love how PapaGenos said that he won’t pay attention to Verge, but still feels the need to use the Sakurai images as hints. Yeah, conveniently ignore the biggest strike against the character you have been pushing for.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Just popping in here to say that that Direct was ****ing hype and I am so excited for what they have in store for Sword and Shield. I couldn't be happier that they're finally leaning into DLC for Pokemon instead of just making us pay full-price for the same game a year later with a different story and more mons.
Also worth noting that a Pokemon Direct tends to coincide with a general Direct within the same timeframe. The pattern could be broken, obviously, but it's because of this that I wouldn't get too downtrodden over the apparent lack of a general Direct this month; I'd honestly expect one to be announced next week, if anything.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No offense to you Fatman, because you come off as a nice individual and I¨m not accusing you of this.
But there is grown-ups that make claims to get attention even if there is a subject that they don¨t care about (I¨ve meet people like that between four eyes), so that's not exactly a good defense. There is also the fact that you came out and said what your supposed sources said AFTER the direct and not before the direct.

But like I said. I¨m not accusing you of anything. Just trying to explain why CronorMike most likely has these assumptions like that...
Believe me, I get that but if my goal was e-fame and to just lie to the masses for attention, I'm definitely going about it a piss poor way. No Twitter. No YouTube videos. No Patreon. No personal Discord. I don't even share this stuff on Facebook. If people want receipts, I'll definitely provide them.

D

Deleted member

Believe me, I get that but if my goal was e-fame and to just lie to the masses for attention, I'm definitely going about it a piss poor way. No Twitter. No YouTube videos. No Patreon. No personal Discord. I don't even share this stuff on Facebook. If people want receipts, I'll definitely provide them.
I got a link to Fatman's myspace though if anyone is interested. hmu

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Finished watching the Pokemon Direct, nothing piqued my interest too much (Never played Mystery Dungeon and still holding out on SWSH until they bring back all the Pokemon). Now, the waiting game continues again. I feel like the longer I wait, the higher my expectations begin to grow. I remember at the VGAs, I was content with only getting FP5 and was hoping very hard that maybe they'd reveal fighter 6. Now, I feel as though I expect the next 2 fighters and would still be a bit miffed if they didn't show off fighter 7. Lord knows where I'll be if they make us wait until February.

Last edited:

Heoj

Smash Ace
That direct was great, the swsh might have gone on a liiiiittle bit too long but it was fine. Mystery dungeon on the other hand however, is mega hype. Im just not the biggest fan of it being full price, but im probably gonna be buying it on release anyways:drflip:

Also... uuuuh. Geno for Smash.

(with that ridiculous geno spirit ****fest a bit ago i just have this to say: Why the heck do people who dont believe in genos chances at all keep hanging around the Geno SUPPORT thread)

Firox

Smash Master
I think with what we saw and heard about the future of Sw and Sh, I think it will be a long time for either a new Pokemon mainline game or Diamond and Pearl remake. Especially if they are planning on bringing back all the Pokemon that didn't make the cut.
That actually sounds good to me. They should take some time and make sure the next wave of games are quality and worthy of being on a mainline console. The fact that they are adding another 200 pokes means that they flat out lied about not being able to add all the pokemon. They could totally do it, but the issue was that they rushed the game. Think about it: 400+200=600 out of 807+ total pokemon. Just another 200 or so and that's all of them. With how shallow the turn-based combat mechanics are, you can't tell me they couldn't put everything in if they honestly tried.

link2702

Smash Champion
i really don't care much about pokemon anymore, so i didn't even bother watching it. anyone care to give a rundown of it?

Firox

Smash Master
I see another year of SwSh DLC next year for all of the Pokemon
Yeah, even if that were to happen, I think I still wouldn't buy SwSh out of sheer principle. If they gave us another DLC pack for the remaining 200 for another $30, then we'd be literally paying TWICE the game's value just for what should have been in from day one. At least it seems that they are adding a lot of content besides the pokes themselves. If they essentially add an entire other region then I suppose it could be worth it.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Just popping in here to say that that Direct was ****ing hype and I am so excited for what they have in store for Sword and Shield. I couldn't be happier that they're finally leaning into DLC for Pokemon instead of just making us pay full-price for the same game a year later with a different story and more mons.
Also worth noting that a Pokemon Direct tends to coincide with a general Direct within the same timeframe. The pattern could be broken, obviously, but it's because of this that I wouldn't get too downtrodden over the apparent lack of a general Direct this month; I'd honestly expect one to be announced next week, if anything.
I am in the same boat of you on this! I understand the anger people have over things, but I've been play SwSh and have enjoyed it. So glad they are going the DLC route instead of a "ultra" version of the game. This way they can keep doing DLC to really "milk" the game instead of rushing to pump out a new game.

Also, still hoping for a general direct next week. Come on ....

Geno.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
The direct was really good, especialy Mystery Dungeon DX and the expansion for SwSh.

Anyway, for the rumors 7 remasters, and if half of them are really from dead/sleeping franchise, then I do think the Metroid Prime Trilogy counting as 3 is likely, but it would also mean that we get no other remakes/masters for alive franchise(if Sunshine HD also come). This would bump the number to 5, ans then we have 2 more. F-Zero is looking possible, but I wouldn't bet on Golden Sun. Maybe a Partner in Time remake, as the Mario and Luigi series arguably died with Alphadream.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The direct was really good, especialy Mystery Dungeon DX and the expansion for SwSh.

Anyway, for the rumors 7 remasters, and if half of them are really from dead/sleeping franchise, then I do think the Metroid Prime Trilogy counting as 3 is likely, but it would also mean that we get no other remakes/masters for alive franchise(if Sunshine HD also come). This would bump the number to 5, ans then we have 2 more. F-Zero is looking possible, but I wouldn't bet on Golden Sun. Maybe a Partner in Time remake, as the Mario and Luigi series arguably died with Alphadream.
What about a Wii U remaster for the other half (not dead franchises)? Wonderful 101? Pikmin 3? Fatal Frame V?

...Xenoblade Chronicles X?? PLEASE I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, Mystery Dungeon DX being announced is a great thing because its a central theme in most of the rumors I've gotten about Nintendo's plans in 2020: fulfilling longtime fan requests, even if some of them are kind of off the wall. I think that's great because it shows that Nintendo is going to be taking fan requests really seriously this year and delivering stuff that not everyone was expecting. On the downside, this makes the wait for the next Direct worse because one of the seven Remakes/remasters is already knocked out and we're not even half way through January yet...

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
I am happy with what's coming to SW/SH. I hope Scyther and Porygon make their triumphant Galar debut within the expansion and honestly I prefer them continuing to care for this game over making a Gen IV remake.

Droodle

Smash Lord
So, Mystery Dungeon DX being announced is a great thing because its a central theme in most of the rumors I've gotten about Nintendo's plans in 2020: fulfilling longtime fan requests, even if some of them are kind of off the wall. I think that's great because it shows that Nintendo is going to be taking fan requests really seriously this year and delivering stuff that not everyone was expecting. On the downside, this makes the wait for the next Direct worse because one of the seven Remakes/remasters is already knocked out and we're not even half way through January yet...
Is Mystery Dungeon really showcasing Nintendo's behaviour though? From what I know, TPC and Nintendo tend to leave each other alone unless something major happens.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
What about a Wii U remaster for the other half (not dead franchises)? Wonderful 101? Pikmin 3? Fatal Frame V?

...Xenoblade Chronicles X?? PLEASE I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED
I don't think that we're gonna get Xenoblade X DE(maybe next year?) Or Pikmin 3 HD(Nintendo worked on Pikmin 4 for years, it should probably release soon). The others are certainly a possibility.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
T
I don't think that we're gonna get Xenoblade X DE(maybe next year?) Or Pikmin 3 HD(Nintendo worked on Pikmin 4 for years, it should probably release soon). The others are certainly a possibility.
they could announce X DE at least and it’ll release Q1 2021? It’ll probably have WAY more stuff added to it than what got added to Xenoblade 1 DE (just touched up models and a new never before seen area). From what I read X’s original project plan was MASSIVE. It was originally gonna be at LEAST two disks!!

Last edited:

Loog

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, when your confidants share info with you do they tell you exactly what they heard or is it usually just hints?

Lord Woomy

Smash Ace
Assuming Geno is in, am I the only one that's also just super hyped to get Beware The Forest's Mushroom's as a song in Smash? That track may be my favorite video game song of all time.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think he's just having fun with it, just like I did the other day with Daisy Theory (and, ironically, people were still mad at me for it despite repeated warnings that I was being trolly with it). He's a chill guy and I think he gives even less of a **** about being right or wrong than I do. He just likes to speculate and doesn't do the giant logic puzzles or theorycrafting that I do. I do it largely for the mental exercise. I'm pretty sure he exclusively does it for fun.
I agree

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just wondering, when your confidants share info with you do they tell you exactly what they heard or is it usually just hints?
It depends. Like in this incidence, he told me what he heard and his assumptions based on it. "No third Galar game" + "expansions and more Pokemon added" + "a remake of an older game for 2020" = Sinnoh remakes? He wasn't outright told Sinnoh remakes, this was his assumption based on what he heard. As today demonstrated, his assumption was wrong despite the initial rumors being correct.

Sometimes it's hints. Sometimes it's just outright "I heard that Moose Kicker 7: the Final Reckoning" is coming in 2020. I have four main sources for info and on top of this a network of insider friends, fact checkers, and confidants that I hear and share stuff with too who, in turn, have their own networks and sources.

Firox

Smash Master
Geno getting into Smash will be sensational for the following reasons:

-SMRPG representation (and by extension, widespread visibility and increased fan demand for a remake or sequel of the game)
-Drastically improved chances of seeing Geno in future Mario spin-offs
-Drastically improved chances for official Geno merch
-The music (nuff said)
-The stage
-Vindication of spirit/Mii costume upgrades
-Proven fulfillment of fan demand despite lack of apparent relevance
-Total proof of Sakurai's omnipotence within the gaming industry
-Possible inclusion of Mallow in future Smash bros games/Mario spin-offs

And probably even more I haven't thought of yet.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Isn't there some maintenance or something going on until the 31st?

We're likely waiting until February at this point.

D

Deleted member

Metroid has one game currently stuck in development hell and had a main series release in 2017, even though it was a remake, I wouldn't call it dead by any stretch of the imagination. Fatman also has made it pretty clear that either he or his sources believe that F-Zero is not one of the games making a comeback. My gut feeling, based on what he's shared, is telling me that of these 7 remakes we might be getting at least one third party franchise that Nintendo's going to help bring back from the abyss.

I'm not saying he's in if one of these remakes is rumored to be Super Mario RPG and Fatman's just containing his piss but if one of these remakes is Super Mario RPG, he's in.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Been out of the loop here for a bit, what's been happening the last couple pages. I don't really have the time to read them all but we flew by in pages again so if anything big happened hit me up.

Also I couldn't care less about the Pokemon Direct. They can't fix SwiSh and companies need to learn that their game needs to be complete and polished at launch and that band-aids after the wound has been bleeding for months won't make much difference: it's already started healing on it's own and the scars are there.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Before I post this, I want to preface that Ultimate is an amazing game and I loved Sakurai and his team for everything they have done. However...

I think Nintendo does a very poor job of marketing and understanding their consumer base, especially outside of Japan. This is why in the past, Nintendo is often forgotten in console war culture. The frustration in the fanbase can partially be pointed at Nintendo for how they communicate. FP5 should have been announced in 2019, no question. Nintendo also makes odd decisions on announcements. Take base game Ultimate. You had an amazing E3 announcement with the everyone is here slogan and then an even stronger August 8th announcement. That was followed by a meek side announcement of Isabella in a Nintendo Direct in September (that wasn't too bad but keep it in context) and the somewhat disappointing November Direct. The Final Direct should have been the big one. Personally, they should have kept KRool for November or went ahead and announced Banjo or some popular FP pick to keep the hype train buzzing. In fact, Banjo announced as FP1 thst November would have been the best way to finish out. We have had alright characters in the Fighter Pass but not ones that really excite the video game world. Nothing like a Pacman, Megaman, Cloud, Sonic, Snake, or Sora. Banjo and Hero are the closest to the big 3rd parties we got in the past and they were both announced together. Nintendo hasn't given us anything since around August I believe. Leaving the Smash fan base hanging onto every leak around. Often times the leaked rosters have been more exciting than the actual FP roster.

Let's analyze the actual roster:

Joker - A character that I did not know prior to announcement of DLC and one that has never been on a Nintendo console. Primarily from a Japanese RPG game genre that really isn't popular in the live action centric West.

Hero - Japanese RPG character #2. However, I like this pick since DQ has been a long running franchise on Nintendo consoles.

Banjo - Huge in N64 era and Smash fan request. Good pick but not earth shattering outside Smash Community

Terry - Who? Despite my criticism, he deserves a spot even with the weak showing on Nintendo consoles. However, he would fit better if the FP actually had a HUGE name like Sora, Doomguy, Crash, etc. Once again wrong pick at the time.

Nothing here is going to excite the average Western gamer.

Overall, it has just been a weird ride by Nintendo. It is kind of like the SMB2 story. Nintendo wanted to give US market SMB2 Japan but am American Quality expert pushed back. Ultimate the SMB2 that the US got was a far better pick. Nintendo needs to somewhat study its audience when considering marketing decisions, etc.

D

Deleted member

Before I post this, I want to preface that Ultimate is an amazing game and I loved Sakurai and his team for everything they have done. However...

I think Nintendo does a very poor job of marketing and understanding their consumer base, especially outside of Japan. This is why in the past, Nintendo is often forgotten in console war culture. The frustration in the fanbase can partially be pointed at Nintendo for how they communicate. FP5 should have been announced in 2019, no question. Nintendo also makes odd decisions on announcements. Take base game Ultimate. You had an amazing E3 announcement with the everyone is here slogan and then an even stronger August 8th announcement. That was followed by a meek side announcement of Isabella in a Nintendo Direct in September (that wasn't too bad but keep it in context) and the somewhat disappointing November Direct. The Final Direct should have been the big one. Personally, they should have kept KRool for November or went ahead and announced Banjo or some popular FP pick to keep the hype train buzzing. In fact, Banjo announced as FP1 thst November would have been the best way to finish out. We have had alright characters in the Fighter Pass but not ones that really excite the video game world. Nothing like a Pacman, Megaman, Cloud, Sonic, Snake, or Sora. Banjo and Hero are the closest to the big 3rd parties we got in the past and they were both announced together. Nintendo hasn't given us anything since around August I believe. Leaving the Smash fan base hanging onto every leak around. Often times the leaked rosters have been more exciting than the actual FP roster.

Joker - A character that I did not know prior to announcement of DLC and one that has never been on a Nintendo console. Primarily from a Japanese RPG game genre that really isn't popular in the live action centric West.

Hero - Japanese RPG character #2. However, I like this pick since DQ has been a long running franchise on Nintendo consoles.

Banjo - Huge in N64 era and Smash fan request. Good pick but not earth shattering outside Smash Community

Terry - Who? Despite my criticism, he deserves a spot even with the weak showing on Nintendo consoles. However, he would fit better if the FP actually had a HUGE name like Sora, Doomguy, Crash, etc. Once again wrong pick at the time.

Overall, it has just been a weird ride by Nintendo. It is kind of like the SMB2 story. Nintendo wanted to give US market SMB2 Japan but am American Quality expert pushed back. Ultimate the SMB2 that the US got was a far better pick. Nintendo needs to somewhat study its audience when considering marketing decisions, etc.
I agree that Geno should be playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

It's almost like Nintendo does whatever the hell they want and this pass was mostly made of of characters Sakurai wanted and not all characters we wanted. Funny how that is.

Also, Nintendo never needs to be part of a console war. While Sony and Microsoft try to 1-UP each other and consistently make weirder looking consoles that are just worse PCs, Nintendo constantly innovates the gameplay experiences, for better or worse. On top of that, they do the same with their games while focusing on fun while Sony and Microsoft games are often all about looks and 'experience' like every game has to be some grand epic and they really forget about games being fun.

This is why Nintendo is still the king of vidja games and always will be, especially when you add in that they always aim for long-term vs all these companies that jumped on the Battle Royal train and their games died because they weren't Fortnite.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

Oh look, more pointless gatekeeping and complaining that their most wanted hasn’t gotten in yet.

All of those characters had people who went nuts for their reveal, and some of them thought they’d never happen.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll repeat that of the remake rumors, none are F-Zero and, like others have reported, the only Mario one heard is Sunshine HD (which most people think is false anyways). If a SMRPG Remake was coming and I knew about it, I'd probably tease the **** out of it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
- Super Metroid Remake
- Paper Mario 64 Remake
- Earthbound Remake
- Wario Land VB Remake
- Golden Sun 1 & 2 Remake

If what Fatman is saying is true.
Super Metroid and Earthbound are literally my two favorite games ever, so it's going to be a crazy year for me if this happens, I might even have to set some cash aside in case they get Collector's Editions. At the same time I think it's difficult to improve upon either game, they have aged just fine, I'm certainly not going to complain, but Fusion and Mother 1/Mother 3 would feel like more relevant remakes (granted if this is true they'd inevitably come further down the line). I know that this is going off current rumors though, so I agree it seems the likeliest.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well, I suppose fans are happy with it, but I've not been a big fan of the series since Gen 2. So, now we have about a week left to wait if the pattern holds for the general Direct

Firox

Smash Master
While Sony and Microsoft try to 1-UP each other and consistently make weirder looking consoles that are just worse PCs,
On a side note, I do think it's hilarious how Microsoft's new Series X is literally just a gaming PC tower without the extras of a typical PC. I predict that we're only a generation or two from consoles simply transforming into straight up PCs, with the noted exception of Nintendo of course. Their portable niche is really working out for them. So much so that I've already started to see other developers trying to knock of the Switch's design tit for tat.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Mystery Dungeon 2 is legit one of the best games ever made and it gets slept on so hard. So happy to see the series acknowledged again after it being left in the dark for a while, even if it's not my preferred entry. Don't care much for the rest of the Direct though, that SwSh pass is so ****ing anti-consumer it hurts, lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom