• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firox

Smash Master
If Geno does indeed become playable, would the Mii Costume be completely scrapped or would it be included with him?
At that point, I really couldn't care less. Once I have playable Geno, all other content is irrelevant.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Black background?

EDIT: Oh great, it works in edit and in quotes but not when you actually look at it. :thinking: So :ultlink: version:
https://giantbomb1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/scale_medium/0/8960/2177654-dovahkiin.jpg
Like so?

How do you mean "uncensored"? How is the picture in PushDustin's "censored"? Or do you mean they somehow have a copy of the 7/11 ad with FP5 on it, but with FP5 themselves cropped out?
What about a reply?

Edit: it works.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Post was warned for inappropriate and potentially offensive language.
If Geno does indeed become playable, would the Mii Costume be completely scrapped or would it be included with him?
I think it’d come back even if he was playable because it could be ported over quickly and cheaply so Square Enix would want to make the extra few dollars. Would also line up with the 4 Dragon Quest costume number assuming Geno/Smithy/Mallow/Chocobo

Last edited by a moderator:

link2702

Smash Champion
Can it really not handle anymore than eleven fighters? That's kind of weird. from what I heard, they could up the roster, but it would have to come with a software update and such, but I may be mis-remembering it.
It could technically, but it might require so much recoding and testing they might not want to bother, it’s not as simple as just adding a new character in to one of the current slots. Trying to add new slots themselves might cause game breaking bugs to appear throughout the game.

To give an example of how so one seemingly simple thing could pose such a headache, look at blizzard and how they supposedly couldn’t do much else with the default backpack in WoW. Supposedly trying to just add more inventory slots to it in WoW was difficult because it caused ripple effects throughout the entire game for a characters inventory. It was just easier to allow players to get larger bags in the secondary slots because those were coded to let players remove and upgrade them with larger ones.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact we're just 25 pages away from 2200...the Geno thread has come such a long way, it's incredible in retrospect.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hmm, perhaps the 20th will be when FP5 is released? If we're to be getting a Direct later this week, I could see them announcing FP5 there, but actually releasing it around the 20th.

Neat idea, but a bit too heavy-handed. Speaking of, I've got a cool idea for one:
Scene opens with Mario, Peach and Bowser being chased by a group of evil Young Links through a forest at night, sort of like the one seen in Hero's Trailer. The Young Links are firing numerous volleys of arrows at the trio. Mario is throwing fireballs at the Young Links in an attempt to both fight them back as well as burn away their arrows. Peach brandishes her Frying Pan at the aggressors and even manages to reflect a couple of arrows back at them using it. Bowser is breathing fire at them and swiping at them with his claws. Bowser then notices that Mario and Peach are struggling a bit, so he decides to rush in and act as a diversion so they can flee. Bowser brings up his shield to block the arrows, which come at such a frequency that it breaks. Bowser then takes numerous arrows in a scene reminicient of the iconic moment from the movie Platoon.

The scene cuts to Mario and Peach fleeing with several Young Links in pursuit. The Young Links manage to back the duo up against a rock wall. Surrounded at all sides, they brace themselves. The Young Links then fire another volley of arrows, but before this can happen, the scene shifts upwards towards the night sky. A star twinkles in the distance, before racing down to the ground like a meteor. The star is revealed to be a person hidden in shadow, who manages to reflect the volley of arrows back at the hordes using his left arm, which appears to have dislocated itself. This mysterious person re-orientates that arm and rears back with their right arm over their left shoulder. The shadows that enveloped them disappear to reveal their identity. Cue splash screen:

GENO GIVES IT A WHIRL!

Geno then fires a Geno Whirl at the Young Links, which blows them all away. Geno then looks over his right shoulder, and smiles and waves at Mario and Peach. The scene then transitions to a montage of in-game footage, showcasing Geno doing all sorts of things from fighting enemies, using his moves, as well as a few scenes that reference his home game. One idea I have is that they show him on the World of Light overworld flying towards his Spirit Battle. The montage ends with Geno using his Final Smash to dispose of a group of Young Links. The Smash Ultimate logo pops up "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars".

The trailer ends with one last CG shot of Geno, Mario and Peach rejoining with Bowser. Geno hands Bowser a Heart Container, which brings the Koopa King back to full health.
This is a Smash reveal.

I'm talking about a remake/sequel reveal.

D

Deleted member

This is a Smash reveal.

I like it. Although, it just seems really weird to be something completely unexpected like having it be a different JRPG as a fakeout.

TipperTheScales

Smash Apprentice
NNID
31ghtb1ts3rvant
3DS FC
3437-3163-4791
Can it really not handle anymore than eleven fighters? That's kind of weird. from what I heard, they could up the roster, but it would have to come with a software update and such, but I may be mis-remembering it.
You’d have to cross check with epicmartin’s post or tweets on the matter (which Fatman may have referred to once), but I think the 91 slots (7 echoes + 67 base roster [Trainer absorbs all three pokes] + Plant + 5 in FP + further 10 open + Random) on squad strike / standard css was set reasonably early in patches if not already in base, and while technically re-patchable, people seem to think that finally having an aesthetically pleasing (non Echo stacked) CSS since Brawl is reason enough to not try and tamper with it further
...which will fall apart as soon as new DLC stages are added but w/e lol

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I like it. Although, it just seems really weird to be something completely unexpected like having it be a different JRPG as a fakeout.
Well the idea is that it would show off areas that don't immediately give away that it's SMRPG and the new villain also doesn't give it away.

You gotta hold onto that teaser idea for as long as possible. Otherwise you might as well just throw up a SMRPG2 logo and call it a day.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Great job on the essay, it's an excellent summary of all the most important information on Geno in Smash. Him being part of the quiz game in 2018 was the nail in the coffin for me on his inclusion, it's just taken a long time for him to actually make it into the game. Can't wait to celebrate.

Solid work Fatman, you certainly deserve that much respect for working on this for so long. But, one little thing...

Just why, why, why is it center justified?!?
Ha, that was like the first thing I noticed too!

MisterMike

Smash Champion
A DLC costume for a character is usually a sort of consolation prize for them not making it in as a fighter (King K. Rool, Chrom, and Isabelle in Smash 4, Rex, Goemon, and Sans for Ultimate), so if Geno becomes a fighter I think his costume most likely won't be coming back. Not ruling it out, mind, I just think it's unlikely.
This is a Smash reveal.

Oh whoops, my bad. :ultkrool:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Usually Tuesdays or Wednesdays. So keep an eye out for the next couple days.
Sorry, I should've been more specific and said what time are Directs announced. I am guessing it's either of those days, but I recall Nintendo usually announcing Directs at a certain time beforehand. Now that we are so close to the potential dates, I figured it worth asking.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Sorry, I should've been more specific and said what time are Directs announced. I am guessing it's either of those days, but I recall Nintendo usually announcing Directs at a certain time beforehand. Now that we are so close to the potential dates, I figured it worth asking.
10 am EST

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
And that is usually the day before, right? If that's the case, that would make Wednesday the most likely date for a Direct(Unless it can happen on the same day as the announcement).
Yeah in recent times it’s usually the day before

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And that is usually the day before, right? If that's the case, that would make Wednesday the most likely date for a Direct(Unless it can happen on the same day as the announcement).
Directs are usually announced one or two days in advance. If we're getting one this week, we're likely gonna hear about it tomorrow.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
It could technically, but it might require so much recoding and testing they might not want to bother, it’s not as simple as just adding a new character in to one of the current slots. Trying to add new slots themselves might cause game breaking bugs to appear throughout the game.

To give an example of how so one seemingly simple thing could pose such a headache, look at blizzard and how they supposedly couldn’t do much else with the default backpack in WoW. Supposedly trying to just add more inventory slots to it in WoW was difficult because it caused ripple effects throughout the entire game for a characters inventory. It was just easier to allow players to get larger bags in the secondary slots because those were coded to let players remove and upgrade them with larger ones.
Sounds like bad programming. Can't say I quite understand why it would considering things like inventories and multiple characters I would assume use some kind of an array to reference whatever object. In the case of smash bros, I would assume a character like Mario would be assigned something like 1. Initially sure, they would set it to a finite range like [1-10], but even that range could be extended. If the foundation was solid, I would assume coding wise it would just be a matter of associating the new character to a different number or variable.

So for example if I'm making a game, and each character is assigned a variable as reference, it seems like it would make sense to reference everything back to an array or range of [1-x], then making x= to the number of total characters currently in the game. So in the end all of mario's assets are referenced by the variable "1", Donkey Kong "2", Samus"3", etc..

Someone correct me if im wrong, since its been awhile, but if your foundation is flexible, these kinds of additions should be easily implemented.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
wasn't at least one direct announced in the evening? what time?

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
wasn't at least one direct announced in the evening? what time?
It was the presentations for Hero and Terry; Hero’s was announced at 9PM Eastern, and Terry’s was announced at 8PM Eastern

Me hitting the refresh button on Nintendo’s Twitter page tomorrow at 8:59 AM ET:
52F3DC4B-F4AD-40D5-8395-C180970C8A3A.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Does anyone find it strange that the SNES Pro Controller is primed to come back in stock real soon? Maybe in a few weeks we can be playing SMRPG again.

OffBi

Smash Ace
wtf is nintendo waiting for?
just give us geno so we can move on

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Saw a few peeps say its on the 16th. Hoping they're wrong.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am not so sure because we have Mii Costumes for Mario, Megaman, and other characters that are in the game.
Right but this is a different case than this. Yes the costume was dlc but if they were to release it with the character, which has not happened in the dlc as of yet, don’t you think that it would be a little redundant?

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Network maintenance for Nintendo Switch "Distribution of update data" from 13:30 today is a maintenance that temporarily prevents update data (Ver.9.1.0) from being received during this time. It does not mean that we will deliver new "update data". We apologize for the misleading announcement.

Not sure what to make of this, the fact that we have back to back days of maintenance is still suspicious to me but the fact that they went out of their way to address it to deflate hype also has me worried

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So to clarify something, Nintendo usually (or never) does directs in the second half of the month right? So a theoretical direct would happen this week or next week. I would be surprised if there wasn't a direct this month, but if there wasn't and it happened next month, I would expect at that point for them to announce and release FP5 the same day. Plus there would be a good chance that they will at least announce the first post-pass character.

At this point I'm 50/50 on them announcing FP5 in the next direct with maybe some info on post-pass or them announcing a Smash direct for February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom