• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
As for the “big” announcement that could overshadow even a hypothetical triple reveal...if it was a Mother Trilogy remake I would NOT be surprised as unlikely as it is.
This would definitely be a bigger announcement than 3 smash reveals.

Can't believe that didn't occur to me but I think that was just an name for Waluigi.

I still don't see assists being promoted tbh. More likely see it with spirits.
I thought the same until people started speculating when DLC 2 was pitched to Nintendo. Plus there was a LOT of backlash from the whole Waluigi situation

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
>pap genos talks about SNES controller listing
>supposedly Two SNES major announcements

What other major SNES game hasn't been announced yet besides SMRPG? I can't think of any off the top of my head and I really want to narrow it down.
As in what major SNES games aren't on the Switch yet? There are a lot that are missing, it's shockingly barebones at present. Just to name some: Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Earthbound, Final Fantasy IV + VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, ActRaiser, Street Fighter II, Contra III, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, and of course SMRPG.

I'm probably forgetting some too, the SNES' library is stacked with classics left and right, this was just off the top of my head. I left off Mega Man X and Super Castlevania IV as they're already being sold in separate collections, so it's highly unlikely they'll ever come to the SNES Online collection.

I personally don't think any of those other than SMRPG would be related to Smash, there aren't a lot of likely candidates from the other games, especially considering Geno would be a Square representative (otherwise Crono would have been a decent shout). DKC, Earthbound and maybe Final Fantasy stick out as games that could tie into some other major announcements.

Heoj

Smash Ace
If we get a direct tomorrow it pretty much has tho be announced in 14 minutes from now.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good day Genobros!

First and foremost, thank you Fatmanonice Fatmanonice for sharing with us your excellent dissertation of the Star Messenger, He who serves a Higher Purpose. Very well detailed, and overall a very enjoyable read. As you mention in said work, you truly are the champion of the Star Messenger and hopefully (and certainly), Geno joins the roster very soon. :shades:

I'm wondering how would Nintendo go about revealing Geno.

a) An HD version to the Super Smash Bros. (N64) opening scene, except the toy that's pulled out of the box is Geno.
b) Rose Town in HD is shown, and then we see inside the house (which is an Inn really) young Gaz (now the one running the Inn) as they look towards their shelf and see the old Geno doll.
3) We see Mario, Peach, and Bowser within the World of Light campaign facing off against what seems to be a different version of Galeom (different color). Bowser rushes to attack Galeom, but is blown away with a fierce uppercut. Mario and Peach down for the count, they look as Galeom is about to initiate its missile barrage. Suddenly a beam hits Galeom on its chest, pushing him back. Mario and Peach look back, and Geno walks towards them. The party reunites!

Lyncario

Smash Ace
About the big new games to the SNES online, could it be that they are localised SMT 1 and 2? Atlus did some tease for SMTV lately, so maybe the two games that restarted the franchise could come to the SNES online, as V was long since confirmed to be Switch exclusive. They're also pretty big games, both being over 50 hours long if you know what you're supposed to do.

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
Just sending my good vibes to everyone and saying hello.

Can I just say Fatmanonice Fatmanonice thank you so much for all of your hard work on the essay. It really shows just how different and special a spot Geno is in. We get so lost in the day to day motions of spec we sometimes miss not only minute details, but the bigger picture.

You exemplify how much I love Geno and the community everyone has built here.

Confession, I didn't grow up with the character the way I did Banjo. I had friends who had SNES and were only limited to what they had. My favorite games growing up before Smash were Super Mario World and Kirby Superstar. But unfortunately, I missed the boat on Mario RPGs in general. Though I've loved the Mario franchise as a whole for as far back as I can remember.

Playing FF games, I fell in love with JRPGs, and even still, much like DQ, SMRPG floated just outside of my peripherals. It was always there, but never fully explored.

Met my gf at 13 (am 31) and she had a similar relationship to the game, but Secret of Mana was her FF analogue. She had a SNES but again I suppose SMRPG was just too esoteric at the time.

Fast forward to a few years back, she adored Vinesauce's play through and wanted me to see it. At the time I'd only heard of Geno through spec and wanted to know why he'd been wanted so long. Having swore I would play it myself before watching, I went ahead and acquired the game via emulator. Within minutes I became enchanted. And during a dark moment of my life, Geno literally became my light. He resonated to me in a way video game characters hadn't in a while, probably not since Meta Knight for me.

He was a character emboldened by a singular purpose, and entire raison d'etre was saving his home, but for the sake of everyone else via their wishes. I was touched in a way other things hadnt in a very long time and inspired me to forward with my dreams.

Now and I'm with my gf after years apart (she had moved away some time ago) and Geno being in Smash and essentially revived is something I am so passionate about.

Sorry for the tangent, but joining this community, and learning of its history well after its origins has been an eye opening experience. And everyone here has been so kind. I've learned more from watching the Geno fanbase push forward than I ever imagined I would. Thank you all so very much.

((If this need condensed, could a mod put spoiler tag on it? My phone sucks and I still get confused by spoiler tag functionality ;;^_^))

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Hard disagree. With 4chan the worst they'll typically do is laugh at and make fun of you for your takes regardless of what they are. ResetEra is a website that will ban you if you do anything the mods don't like or watch and/or support the wrong people. Hell, you don't even necessarily have to do anything wrong, if the mods feel like banning you some random day you'll be banned, no ifs ands or buts. Recently, someone made a ResetEra thread critical of Star Citizen (A crowdfunded game that's made millions of dollars and has little-to-nothing to show for it after 10 or so years of development), and not too long after it was made they and anyone else critical of the game were banned.

To be fair, 4chan will make fun of whoever you support.

With 4chan, you know exactly what to expect.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
About the big new games to the SNES online, could it be that they are localised SMT 1 and 2? Atlus did some tease for SMTV lately, so maybe the two games that restarted the franchise could come to the SNES online, as V was long since confirmed to be Switch exclusive. They're also pretty big games, both being over 50 hours long if you know what you're supposed to do.
Another hint my contact gave me is that they mostly involved games on the SNES Classic.

Firox

Smash Master
I agree that Vic would be a good Geno, but I could also see Johnny Yong Bosch filling the role and doing it well.

However, I see Todd Haberkorn as an incredible fit for Geno.

I think hearing Todd's voice yelling out, "Yo, Smithy!" is too perfect.
Todd Haberkorn's got a great voice but now that you've given me the mental picture of Geno saying that in his voice, I'm not sure how seriously I could take it. Todd's voice has an almost comedic flavor to it.

BTW, has Fatman released the Geno Bible? If so, can somebody forward it to me?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Todd Haberkorn's got a great voice but now that you've given me the mental picture of Geno saying that in his voice, I'm not sure how seriously I could take it. Todd's voice has an almost comedic flavor to it.

BTW, has Fatman released the Geno Bible? If so, can somebody forward it to me?
see

It is a good work of nonfiction and Fatman deserves a rest.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just gonna say, these rumors that no indies make me super depressed. Indirs deserve to be more then just spirits or mii costumes. Plus no a single female character there Fatmanonice Fatmanonice ? I think we will get 1 at least. Especially with that daisy picture. I am still on board that she means something

D

Deleted member

Earthbound and Super Mario RPG. Geno gets into Smash and Mother 3 announced for the Switch the same day. The universe implodes.
Well, at the very least, I would implode.

Maybe a certain other Legendary Spirit from Mother 3 would get upgraded to playable... I might literally die. If that's the case, it was nice knowing you all.

HudU

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4165 4708 0120
Earthbound and Super Mario RPG. Geno gets into Smash and Mother 3 announced for the Switch the same day. The universe implodes.
For a sec there, all I read was "Geno gets into smash and mother 3" and that made me think for a sec, Geno in mother 3...

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Inb4 DLC Fighter #6 (1st post pass) ends up being...

*a howling breeze blows suddenly*
*Outer Wall theme starts playing*

Quote from Cave Story :2gud: Ah yes, imagine it. Having Mega Man, Quote, and later Geno all in the same game. Mega Buster MAXED. Polar Star MAXED. Geno Beam MAXED. *All three* TIME TO SHOOT FOR THE STARS!!! :starman::starman::starman:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
The snes online situation is interesting. The least dump ended up contained exclusively games on the datamine list from way back so if that were to repeat itself then we would be getting

Pop'n twinbee
Contra 3
Legend of the mystical ninja
Super Mario allstars
Breath of fire 2

Missing from snes mini we have the following

Contra 3
Legend of the mystical ninja
Donkey Kong country
Earthbound
Final fantasy 6
Mega man x
Secret of mana
Super castlevania 4
Super Mario rpg
Fire emblem 3
Panel de pon

Needless to say things are about to get very interesting

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
>pap genos talks about SNES controller listing
>supposedly Two SNES major announcements

What other major SNES game hasn't been announced yet besides SMRPG? I can't think of any off the top of my head and I really want to narrow it down.
All three of the Donkey Kong Country games. While RPGs tend to get ignored for whatever reason (no Final Fantasy titles (NES or SNES), Earthbound, Chrono Trigger), you'd think that including a beloved series of platformers would be a no-brainer.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Hey Fatman, what exactly is being rumored about no echoes for DLC? I know Sakurai made his comments about the FP being full characters and not echoes, but nothing's been said that they can't come post-pass, and yet I know you've said it's been heard that they're toast, so I'm curious what's been heard

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey Fatman, what exactly is being rumored about no echoes for DLC? I know Sakurai made his comments about the FP being full characters and not echoes, but nothing's been said that they can't come post-pass, and yet I know you've said it's been heard that they're toast, so I'm curious what's been heard
Basically that echoes aren't on the table at all. Apparently several very easy echoes such as Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi were pitched but didn't go anywhere. I think Sakurai's intention was to have 100% unique characters as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Basically that echoes aren't on the table at all. Apparently several very easy echoes such as Ms. Pac-Man and Gooigi were pitched but didn't go anywhere. I think Sakurai's intention was to have 100% unique characters as DLC.
And honestly, this is how it should be.

I really don't want to pay for a clone.

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Are there any other hints of a Nintendo direct happening this week? Or are we still in the dark?

D

Deleted member

Nothing was posted yet. I'm guessing if it's not announced tommorow it's ether next week or we do have to wait till February for news. Which I'm beggining to think is likely.

Ugh another month possibly.

Last edited by a moderator:

domriver

Smash Lord
You would think Echo fighters are a bit more easier to work with. Not sure if I would pay for a clone maybe if it came in a batch. IDK.

Nothing was posted yet. I'm guessing if it's not announced tommorow it's ether next week or we do have to wait till February for news. Which I'm beggining to think is likely.

Ugh.
We still have the whole day to go through. Very possible it may be get announced a bit later - Nothing is ever concrete with Nintendo. :) Lets just wait and see.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

No way. The Amiibo pattern is the one pattern we know for certain is consistent, It HAS to be this week or early next.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
For the SNES online rumor, there's also a possibility of it having games that were on the Japanese version of the SNES mini. For those interested, here's an article with all of the SNES mini Japan games.
https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/26/1...edition-japanese-game-list-super-famicom-mini
And for those too lazy to click it, here's the list.
  • Contra 3: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • F-Zero
  • Final Fantasy 6
  • Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
  • Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Mega Man X
  • Panel de Pon
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Ghouls n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Mastadoom88

Smash Apprentice
I would be so happy. I know an awful lot about Mother 3, but I've never had the opportunity to even play an emulated version.

That and Thousand Year Door are two games I've wanted to play forever that I have yet to experience.

bomamba

Smash Cadet

bro I can’t wait any longer aaah I just want info!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Papageno's Discord has an "uncensored" version of the 7/11 ad. It's cropped but it appears "5" has a black background. The original Tweet was taken down too.

(Goddamnit... Media uploader is down AGAIN.)

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Just found something I forgot that I had. Going to bless yall with my cutout Geno card from a 1990s issue of Nintendo Power:

BONUS: Official Geno coin I got on ebay years ago

Edit: Of course this didnt work. Damnit smashboards

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Just found something I forgot that I had. Going to bless yall with my cutout Geno card from a 1990s issue of Nintendo Power:

BONUS: Official Geno coin I got on ebay years ago

Had to Quote the post to see these, but damn that coin is sick!

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Tbh, if they're doing all the maintenance for this update between yesterday and tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in anticipation for heavy traffic and the Direct is on Thursday after all of it is done. It could potentially mean that FP5 doesn't shadow-drop since there's nothing scheduled for Thursday, but as long as we find out who it is and end the drought, I'm fine waiting for release.

Terry's presentation also was announced in the evening EST, so it'll only not be tomorrow if we don't get something before midnight. They could even go the unexpected route and "shadowdrop" the presentation release date without revealing FP5 beforehand, and then just reveal who it is during the presentation instead of in a Direct and turn it into a Smash mini-Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom