• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, food for thought about the 5 rumors, the following characters have been rumored for the 5 slot in insider circles since September: Ryu, Geralt, Nightmare, Lloyd, Sephiroth, Sol, and Dante. Strangely, all these characters are sword users which potentially suggests that all 7 were red herrings for a sword user as well. To throw more on the sword pile, the following Mii costumes from Smash 4 are still MIA (minus Geno and Chocobo who were arguably supposed to come with Hero and Heihachi for Terry): Monster Hunter, Rathalos, Lloyd, Gil, Megaman EXE, and Megaman X. The strongest overarching themes are swords and heavy armor, again, potentially suggesting that 5 is supposed to represent both themes too.
Ah yes, Smash fans natural enemy...

Swords.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So about Geno, what kind of characters or types of clothing (shirts, hats etc) would you guys like to see some these groups like Muffin Bros, Yetee, Wave Shine (made that awesome Geno Beanie) etc would you guys be interested in getting? Geno getting into Smash Bros could open up the possiblity to see more Geno art prints, unique clothing etc available and I kind of want to see what would be really helpful.

Also speaking of, I think most of Geno's spirits are very straight forward. Most of the bosses he came across as well as perhaps Boshi (A faster Yoshi on an FD Yoshi's Island)

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
So, food for thought about the 5 rumors, the following characters have been rumored for the 5 slot in insider circles since September: Ryu, Geralt, Nightmare, Lloyd, Sephiroth, Sol, and Dante. Strangely, all these characters are sword users which potentially suggests that all 7 were red herrings for a sword user as well. To throw more on the sword pile, the following Mii costumes from Smash 4 are still MIA (minus Geno and Chocobo who were arguably supposed to come with Hero and Heihachi for Terry): Monster Hunter, Rathalos, Lloyd, Gil, Megaman EXE, and Megaman X. The strongest overarching themes are swords and heavy armor, again, potentially suggesting that 5 is supposed to represent both themes too.
Looks like we just hit the bullseye on who the rumored character is.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
If we fit all of these puzzle pieces together, taking everyones statements into account, then that would mean it would mean it would either be.

>Bethesda Character that isn’t Doom Guy (Dovahkin or even Vault Boy)
>Activision/Blizzard Rep NOT Crash or Tracer

Fatmanonice Fatmanonice , we owe you a HUGE thanks. You may have just offered a critical clue in finally solving this wild speculation season.
As I mentioned may not have before, I really don't think this rumor actually means anything, if only because a character from Bethesda or Activision being revealed as the final pass character doesn't really jibe with the direction of the pass in my eyes. I personally think it will be more obscure than that.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman
So about Geno, what kind of characters or types of clothing (shirts, hats etc) would you guys like to see some these groups like Muffin Bros, Yetee, Wave Shine (made that awesome Geno Beanie) etc would you guys be interested in getting? Geno getting into Smash Bros could open up the possiblity to see more Geno art prints, unique clothing etc available and I kind of want to see what would be really helpful.

Also speaking of, I think most of Geno's spirits are very straight forward. Most of the bosses he came across as well as perhaps Boshi (A faster Yoshi on an FD Yoshi's Island)

Ok i have a cute idea. We should get an artist for this. Its a shirt that has ridley,k rool, banjo and geno happy together. It also says thank you on the shirt. The art could look something like this.

download-1.jpg

pinshadow

Smash Lord
To be honest, I normally take Fatmans rumors with a grain of salt. But honestly, I think we just found out the identity of FP5.

If it was just this statement from Fatman, I’d probably be WAY more skeptical. However, combine this with Vergebens latest kill list, Sabi saying FP5 was on the first post (where Verge deconfirmed Bethesda proper, but then went back on it), and the direction of the DLC cycle, it all fits together perfectly.

There is literally no one else it could be, taking all of this into consideration. At least not anyone I can think of at this moment.
I've been really thinking of Bethesda for a while now, it fits in regardless of if we consider CacoMallow to be real or not.
  • In the words of Sakurai himself, the DLC Lineup was decided ENTIRELY by Nintendo. It's pretty unclear what this actually means, (did Nintendo, Sakurai, or the third party choose the fighters?) but it was clearly enough of an influence that Sakurai tweeted specifically about it.
  • Every character in the Fighter's Pass so far has been from a company who has a good relationship with Nintendo and, more importantly, has greatly supported the Switch since it's launch. Shin Megami Tensei V and Dragon Quest XI were among the first games announced for the Switch, and SNK was throwing all of their classic NEO GEO games on the EShop from the moment the system launched. Microsoft feels like an exception to this but even then it's clear that they specifically went after Banjo to please fans, and it's clear they negotiated on way more than just Banjo, considering it was Microsoft that went to the Cuphead devs to make a Switch Port, presumably also with the Ori devs, and Halo if the rumors pan out.
  • The reason this is important is that Bethesda has been not only supporting the Switch since day one, to the point where Skyrim is IN THE SWITCHES REVEAL TRAILER, but has kept supporting it, with even Doom Eternal launching day one on Switch. Skyrim being in the Switch's reveal trailer also implies another, rather obvious thing, Nintendo thinks that Skyrim is a big deal, because it obviously is, it's one of the most iconic games of this decade.
  • Skyrim did pretty well in Japan as well, and is atleast alot more well known there than DOOM is. It's the first western game Famitsu ever gave a 40/40.
  • Bethesda has apparently talked to Nintendo about Smash, straight from Pete Hines mouth.
Bethesda has always made alot of sense to me, I guess now we just wait until one of the "leakers" says something.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't celebrate too soon. We should see how things play out before making any certain conclusions.
Problem is, if it is not Dovahkin, who else can it be?

You saw how big the recent Verge kill list is, right? If it is not him, please explain how he literally aligns with everything Verge and Sabi have said.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
That's kind of a huge stretch considering Mii Costume DLC beforehand have mostly been completely new with only a few returning ones relating to the company and only one really relating to the theme of the fighter.

Also, you're really being rather overt with what your source might have told you the 5th fighter is, aren't you?

Crankshadow

Smash Cadet
It could be an issue of sakurai not wanting to censor doomslayer, Dragonborn could be much easier to get in rating. Sakurai chose not to include mai than hide her erm assets.

It could also be an assist promotion that is explicitly said to be the only one.

I love both geno and doomslayer but if doomslayer has to sacrifice himself for starboi I can only see it as being a worthy sacrifice.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Idk, with how Nintendo totally threw BLizzard them under the bus with the Switch launch of Overwatch, I have my doubt. I think the Doomguy stuff is more likely, especially with the possibility of Cacomallow.
Remember that character 5 was chosen LONG before that mess happened. That being said, I’m still bracing myself for it being Doomguy that gets the shaft

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ok i have a cute idea. We should get an artist for this. Its a shirt that has ridley,k rool, banjo and geno happy together. It also says thank you on the shirt. The art could look something like this.

View attachment 252942
No joke, I always imagined Yoshio Sawei as a perfect fir for SMRPG redesigns, and no it's not because of the name association :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

I think more pins of him could exist. There's someone on Etsy who made a stock icon pin for every Smash Ultimate character and I'd like to see a Geno one be made.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
Problem is, if it is not Dovahkin, who else can it be?

You saw how big the recent Verge kill list is, right? If it is not him, please explain how he literally aligns with everything Verge and Sabi have said.
Not taking into account Fat's comments, there's Pipboy, a Marvelous character, a Nintendo character, a spirit, WoW, more than a few characters, even Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption if you wanna be really wild and out there. It's not like the kill list is that all-encompassing.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Remember that character 5 was chosen LONG before that mess happened. That being said, I’m still bracing myself for it being Doomguy that gets the shaft
True, but if they did select a Blizzard character, I would assume they would've treated them a little bit better when it came to the Overwatch launch. Of course, what Nintendo did in the end was the correct choice in most peoples eyes.

EditorMax

Smash Apprentice
I think this is a bit of a stretch... have red herring characters in the past lined up like this?

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
It could be an issue of sakurai not wanting to censor doomslayer, Dragonborn could be much easier to get in rating. Sakurai chose not to include mai than hide her erm assets.

It could also be an assist promotion that is explicitly said to be the only one.

I love both geno and doomslayer but if doomslayer has to sacrifice himself for starboi I can only see it as being a worthy sacrifice.
In regards to CERO, it's specifically sexual content that causes trouble more than anything else, and not necessarily the guns or violence, especially considering we already have two gun users on the roster.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
As I mentioned may not have before, I really don't think this rumor actually means anything, if only because a character from Bethesda or Activision being revealed as the final pass character doesn't really jibe with the direction of the pass in my eyes. I personally think it will be more obscure than that.

Incineroar was the complete antithesis of the supposed base roster direction, and he was the final reveal for base game.

I don’t think Bethesda/Activisions chances are affected at all. In fact, I’d argue that Reggies comments last year are another smoking gun in their favor, when you combine everything together.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Anyway, no matter who it goes to, my hope is that Geno and Doomguy can make it to the end together. This leak really united the two fanbases and it would be a shame for one side to be left behind.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
I think this is a bit of a stretch... have red herring characters in the past lined up like this?
Who knows? It's not like there's really a standard procedure that we're familiar with, but it would be rather stupid if it actually meant anything.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Looks like we just hit the bullseye on who the rumored character is.
Well, keep in mind Fatman was talking about character 5 here. It sounds like he’s implying that his current theory is that CacoMallow are for characters 6 & 7 and not for characters 5 & 6, meaning character 6 is the Bethesda rep and character 7 is Geno. If so, then Dovahkiin wouldn’t actually be the “swordfighter” in the character 5 slot at all, and so 5 might be an entirely different swordfighter. That’s assuming that both the information Fatman has is accurate and that his theories based on it hold water though, and even he frequently admits that we should take everything he says with a pound of salt.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Well, keep in mind Fatman was talking about character 5 here. It sounds like he’s implying that his current theory is that CacoMallow are for characters 6 & 7 and not for characters 5 & 6, meaning character 6 is the Bethesda rep and character 7 is Geno. If so, then Dovahkiin wouldn’t actually be the “swordfighter” in the character 5 slot at all, and so 5 might be an entirely different swordfighter. That’s assuming that both the information Fatman has is accurate and that his theories based on it hold water though, and even he frequently admits that we should take everything he says with a pound of salt.
He's clearly referring to Fighter 5 as the Bethesda rep, check his previous posts

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
He specifically said this “controversial 3rd party western character”, assuming that it is Dovahkin, is rumored to be 5.

And I normally would take it with a salt shaker, but it aligns with too many things for it to be a mere coincidence imo.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
That's kind of a huge stretch considering Mii Costume DLC beforehand have mostly been completely new with only a few returning ones relating to the company and only one really relating to the theme of the fighter.

Also, you're really being rather overt with what your source might have told you the 5th fighter is, aren't you?
Joker's overarching theme was SEGA with Tails and Knuckles returning. Hero's was Dragon Quest with heavy implications that Geno and Chocobo were originally planned to return. Banjo was a grab bag with Zero and Proto Man returning. Terry was fighting games with Akira and Jacky returning and heavy implications that Heihachi was supposed to return. This all said, 5 having a theme would surprise me and, if the pair pattern continues, the pair will probably be Monster Hunter and Rathalos.

Overt? It's still hints and, given multiple people have reported these rumors to me, it's not exactly incriminating either. It ain't exactly a Moses and the burning bush situation. These people shared with a lot of others before getting to me and giving me the green light to share here and Discord. It's not like one person had heard this rumor and passed them onto me. On that note, like Banjo back in the Spring, I'm not going to be like "boy howdy, you got it" if people guess it "correctly." I'll just let people draw their own conclusions and just roll with it regardless if the rumors are true or false in the end.

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
Incineroar was the complete antithesis of the supposed base roster direction, and he was the final reveal for base game.

I don’t think Bethesda/Activisions chances are affected at all. In fact, I’d argue that Reggies comments last year are another smoking gun in their favor, when you combine everything together.
I'm just stating my reasons here. Besides, you did bring up the direction of the pass as part of your reasoning anyway, so I believe it's fair game to mention.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
You know, when do yous think would be the best time to announce Geno?
*grumbling* At the Game Awards last night

But seriously, Geno is likely a strong Nintendo direct announcement. Spring directs have been big lately so I see him coming then if he’s not at E3 later

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
Anyway, no matter who it goes to, my hope is that Geno and Doomguy can make it to the end together. This leak really united the two fanbases and it would be a shame for one side to be left behind.
Agreed. I admit I'm way more of a Doombro than a Genobro but this whole saga just really wants me to see both of them together. Even reading things like how Mario sending the Doomslayer to Hell to save Geno just makes me want these two to make it in even more.

Though to be fair to Dovahkin fans I don't think he would be a bad addition at all. My roommate is a huge Skyrim fan so it would great to see him ahocked and surprised with a Dovahkin reveal trailer.

I'd still be sad for my Slayer tho.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's tin foil hat territory but it's a weird coincidence nevertheless. The only thing that has been agreed on though is that the misinformation campaign for 5 has seemingly been really aggressive compared to anyone else.

zferolie

Smash Hero
SO are we really thinking Daisy means nothing? I really think that was a tease for fighter 5. I know they don't tease much but when they do its a bit obvious its a tease.

I can't think of a western third party that could upset people that is tied to Daisy in some way...

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Joker's overarching theme was SEGA with Tails and Knuckles returning. Hero's was Dragon Quest with heavy implications that Geno and Chocobo were originally planned to return. Banjo was a grab bag with Zero and Proto Man returning. Terry was fighting games with Akira and Jacky returning and heavy implications that Heihachi was supposed to return. This all said, 5 having a theme would surprise me and, if the pair pattern continues, the pair will probably be Monster Hunter and Rathalos.

Overt? It's still hints and, given multiple people have reported these rumors to me, it's not exactly incriminating either. It ain't exactly a Moses and the burning bush situation. These people shared with a lot of others before getting to me and giving me the green light to share here and Discord. It's not like one person had heard this rumor and passed them onto me. On that note, like Banjo back in the Spring, I'm not going to be like "boy howdy, you got it" if people guess it "correctly." I'll just let people draw their own conclusions and just roll with it regardless if the rumors are true or false in the end.
I think we have all figured out which character you have been referring to. I don’t see any reason to not namedrop Dovahkin now imo. (Unless you are under a strict NDA, but it was pretty obvious who you are referring to)

Last edited:

Nopote

Smash Apprentice

It's still a big stretch, given that those themes had to do with companies and genres, while you're drawing conclusions based on the existence of swords and heavy armor for widely different characters in widely different genres. As for the last point, I'm more saying that you're close to just outright stating what the character you heard is more than anything else, regardless of what "conclusions" people are drawing.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So this board is finally back up. I had a good laugh with how nothing was revealed at the VGA. Now if you excuse me I have to dig another grave for my most wanted. Rest in piece KOS-MOS, you were too good to be true.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
It's tin foil hat territory but it's a weird coincidence nevertheless. The only thing that has been agreed on though is that the misinformation campaign for 5 has seemingly been really aggressive compared to anyone else.
Watch it be Nightmare

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
SO are we really thinking Daisy means nothing? I really think that was a tease for fighter 5. I know they don't tease much but when they do its a bit obvious its a tease.

I can't think of a western third party that could upset people that is tied to Daisy in some way...
Not every little thing done by Nintendo is a Smash hint mate.

I thought we learnt that lesson from the Skull Kid chair theory, but I guess not.

Last edited:

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
I think we have all figured out which character you have been referring to. I don’t see any reason to not namedrop Dovahkin now imo. (Unless you are under a strict NDA, but it was pretty obvious who you are referring to)
If you're talking about the source, all that source really said to mention was that it was third party and western. Fatman brought it home with his "speculation".

zferolie

Smash Hero
No offense.... but I would be quite upset with Dovahkin as the final character. Seriously

Not every little thing done by Nintendo is a Smash hint mate.

I thought we learnt that lesson from the Skull Kid chair theory, but I guess not.
True, but that was really stretching. it just seems so odd Daisy is there. Plus... I guess most players want not another male characters as dlc as well(in this FP at least)

Last edited:

Nopote

Smash Apprentice
In other words, the rumors are still rumors for now, and nothing to really hedge any kind of bets on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom