• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
Someone brought up the other day about how sakurai could modernize/update geno’s design, and i got to thinking....just how much would everyone be ok with him changing? And has anyone worried about this, that maybe sakurai might change his design TOO much?

Cuz like has been pointed out quite often before, atm...he’s more or less a naked doll.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The fact that apparently Sabi's source hasn't given up the goods means it might not be KOS-MOS after all

1576107675937.png

coolcat12347

Smash Journeyman
Someone brought up the other day about how sakurai could modernize/update geno’s design, and i got to thinking....just how much would everyone be ok with him changing? And has anyone worried about this, that maybe sakurai might change his design TOO much?

Cuz like has been pointed out quite often before, atm...he’s more or less a naked doll.
I could see he cape getting some star patterns- like Rosalina's dress

D

Deleted member

That awkward moment when, despite all this, Ryu still shows up tomorrow. God, that would be hilarious. Imagine.
I'd laugh my ass off after all this time, after all these disconfirmations it's the dude we were guessing two months ago. It'd be hilarious.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think we can all safely say that it would be fine. Whenever Smash modernizes a classic design, it typically stays true to the original while adding appreciated detail.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

Project M made a few subtle changes, like giving the back of his cap a yellow underbelly and a dark blue lining

1576107832041.png

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Man wouldn't it be agonizing if they waited until February to reveal fighter #5 just so they could say, "available...today!" lol

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Why have your last five or so messages just felt like "Haha wouldn't it be funny if this guy showed up tomorrow, haha I just think that would be really funny haha just wondering what you think haha"
Because we're rapidly approaching peak irony, like we do before most major presentations. The last month and a half has been ****ing exhausting.

Franco Geno

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie, this whole "we can't tell you who's coming but what we can do is tell you who's NOT coming!" stuff has been painful

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Argonian? Naaah....Khajiit.

Fite meh.
We should get both honestly
Doom Guy is such a perfect Gunner, though. Geno, though? Should have never been a costume in the first place, obviously.
Doomguy doesnt deserve that fate. And even if he was sent to mii hell he’d fight his way out and become playable
I've got a bad feeling about Kos-Mos. A lot of people are locking in their decisions but when have we ever deduced characters without major slip ups before a major event?
As in you think they’re likely or not likely?

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

I would not worry at all. Sakurai has proven time and time again that he can stay fateful to characters designs. Look at Banjo he looks prefect. I think Geno will be ok if he gets in.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well minor thing from sabi (not smash related)

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Looks like sabi is believing the halo thing from zell

But also agrees with a direct rather than vga for the revel

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The only way I could see Doom Marine being costumed is if Sakurai tried to get him, but something didn't work out. Considering we got RE spirits to compensate for no possible rep, I could still see Doom Marine getting the costume treatment if Sakurai felt he couldn't make him work for one reason or another.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Here comes "O" theory!

jOker
herO
banjO
terry bOgard
genO(?)
:mybodyisreggie:
No it's obviously the "E" theory

jokEr
hEro
Banjo & KazooiE
tErry bogard
gEno

Edit: either way Ryu definitely is not in since this theory is 100% real

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

Why would they reveal such huge news in a direct instead of the VGA's though? I mean hell, last year you had all three American presidents up on stage together but now they're not going to show a game between two of the companies at one of the biggest gaming events of the year and are saving it for a direct? Doesn't make sense to me.

pinshadow

Smash Lord

See this is the kind of thing I hate about Sabi, even when he's right on stuff he has to go "HEY LOOK ITS THAT THING I WAS RIGHT ABOUT PLEASE GIVE ME ATTENTION", and then he wonders why people don't like him.

Also something I haven't seen people bring up regarding this is that a French site said back in February that both Cuphead and Ori were coming to switch and that Nintendo and Microsoft had discussions about which of their three big franchises would be on switch, Halo, Gears, or Forza, and it's pretty obvious which one Nintendo would pick.
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...cient-des-jeux-xbox-debarquent-sur-switch.htm

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
The only way I could see Doom Marine being costumed is if Sakurai tried to get him, but something didn't work out. Considering we got RE spirits to compensate for no possible rep, I could still see Doom Marine getting the costume treatment if Sakurai felt he couldn't make him work for one reason or another.
It's entirely possible that Sakurai never had any interest in including Doomguy so he goes and negotiate for a Mii Costume since he believes those are the best alternative to feel like you're playing the character (even though it's not)

D

Deleted member

With all the **** Sabi pulled I'd rather not believe them and even if they do have "sources" I'd still rather be surprised than listen to the person who gets info in such a way as them. They're awful and I'd rather them just go away forever never to be seen again. I don't know why we give them attention anyways.

catsforlife1

Smash Journeyman

Ok if halo does come to switch Banjo needs to happen eventually. Please Nintendo.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Why would they reveal such huge news in a direct instead of the VGA's though? I mean hell, last year you had all three American presidents up on stage together but now they're not going to show a game between two of the companies at one of the biggest gaming events of the year and are saving it for a direct? Doesn't make sense to me.
Honestly? I can see them sitting on this until E3. I can't see Microsoft releasing the games individually so they probably want all of the games to be done first right now, and given that most of the work right now is going into the PC version I can see it taking a year to get all 5 games done.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Honestly? I can see them sitting on this until E3. I can't see Microsoft releasing the games individually so they probably want all of the games to be done first right now, and given that most of the work right now is going into the PC version I can see it taking a year to get all 5 games done.
Ok, I could see it happening at the E3 Direct but they made it sound like it would be at a normal one soon.

Ugh, this wait for the VGA's is killing me. But at least we just have about 24 hours until we see if anything happens that might affect Geno's chances.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I would really like for Doomslayer to conclude the fighter's pass. Has Sakurai ever said anything praising Doom?

I know he has praised Half Life (which getting a Valve character would be too godlike as well)

I'm just ready for Geno and I hope tomorrow's reveal keeps the hope's of our guy alive. We made it a whole year of literally not being in the running but the fighter's pass concluding opens the door for us!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would really like for Doomslayer to conclude the fighter's pass. Has Sakurai ever said anything praising Doom?

I know he has praised Half Life (which getting a Valve character would be too godlike as well)

I'm just ready for Geno and I hope tomorrow's reveal keeps the hope's of our guy alive.
He praised the creator of Doom for being the father of the FPS genre.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
With how much data it eats off the Xbox One, I don't think MCC can be ported to Switch. Halo titles releasing individually, maybe. A Halo crossover co-developed by Nintendo, I'm open to surprises there. The MCC though? No way.

D

Deleted member

KOS-MOS is cool and all. Xenosaga is a good time and all but let's face it, KOS-MOS has only been brought into serious speculation within the last few months only because of /v/'s ****posting. I do not see her happening, but I won't be mad about it if she in either.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
With how much data it eats off the Xbox One, I don't think MCC can be ported to Switch. Halo titles releasing individually, maybe. A Halo crossover co-developed by Nintendo, I'm open to surprises there. The MCC though? No way.
to be honest myself

i wouldn't be shock if sabi and vergeben both got killed by whoever fp5 is because i think theres a chance one of the deconfirmed characters on either list is bait and was infact fp5

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
Gonna throw my 2 cents on how Sakurai and crew should handle Geno's design.

I totally agree with the notion that he should stay as faithful to his design as possible. Just spruce it up a bit to get with the times and fit with the rest of the roster and you're golden! The Smashified render is pretty spot on, and I like the pose for this other render that's been circulating too (actually if someone can tell me who made it, I'd appreciate it). Somewhere in between the two would probably be best in my opinion.

smashified-geno.png

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Good evening/day lads.

Earlier today, I thought back on Ultimate's World of Light (WoL) campaign, and went into interpreting some details within it. Besides Geno's spirit being obtainable in WoL, I've come to see other things as subtle hints towards Geno, or the Star Road from the Mario universe. The true ending of WoL, which has all of the freed spirits ascending towards the stars reminded me of Super Mario RPG's ending (with the seven stars ascending to the Star Road, with the star spirit possessing Geno following suit afterwards). What's interesting is that, if we recall the WoL map, and where the true final battle (vs. Galeem and Dharkon) takes place, the ending credits show both Galeem and Dharkons cores fall and become undone over the sea. Now this view, is the exact same one from the opening cinematic of WoL, AND within the WoL map is located in the middle-top portion of it. It is from this area where the freed spirits ascend to the stars. To the left of this section of the map, we have an outer-space-themed section, and it's on the mid-sized blue planet near where Galeem was, that one encounters the Geno spirit battle. This outer space portion of the map could be considered as being right above the site were Galeem first appeared, and where both Galeem and Dharkon fell; hence it would be to portion of the map towards which the freed spirits would ascend to. Geno's spirit being in this outer space area, to where the spirits would presumable ascend, could then be thought of as being a parallel to the Star Road, if we view the ascending spirits as wishes.

Another thing I thought about was that, the WoL map could be seen as well as having certain similarities with the world map in Super Mario RPG. Not a 1:1 similarity, but more of coincidences in how one progresses through the maps. The first map in WoL could be seen as SMRPG's overworld map, having different environments, and being quite vast. The second map in WoL (the Dark World) could be seen as a combination of Bowser's Keep (entering the final zone in the game). In SMRPG, Bowser's Keep had a room with six doors; each having around three different challenge rooms. However, there was a limit to how many doors you could go through. In WoL, the Dark World is divided into three sections (the "dungeons" being based on specific franchises). The Dark World dungeons could be seen as parallels to the doors in Bowser's Keep. Curiously enough, within Bowser's Keep, one faced-off against three bosses; Magikoopa, Boomer, and Exor (sure that Exor is part of Smithy's Factory, but he also became part of the Keep's exterior). Similarly, in order to reach Dharkon in the Dark World, one has to clear the three dungeons by defeating each one's respective bosses. However, the battle that would most resemble the entrance to Smithy's factory is actually the first battle against Dharkon. Once he is defeated, the path towards the true final area in WoL opens up. In SMRPG, defeating Exor would bring us to the interior of Smithy's Factory. In WoL, this is where we arrive at the split sky, riddled with light spirits and Master Hands to the right, and dark spirits and Crazy Hands to the left. Both light and dark spirits can be seen as parallels to the factory models of enemies created by Smithy (the factory version Axem Rangers, Bowyers, etc.). The Crazy and Master Hands would mirror stronger guardians within Smithy's Factory such as Cloaker and Domino.

Ok, time to go for the finish line. Once all of the spirits have been freed, and the Master and Crazy Hands defeated in this third map, it's time to move onto the final battle. In Smithy's Factory, we'd be approaching the final stretch (the area with the conveyor belts). The ascent towards the final platform includes some encounters with light and dark clones of the game's roster, which parallel the factory version enemies in Smithy's factory. Once players arrive at the top platform, the boss rush begins (Giga Bowser, Dracula, Galeom, etc.). These consecutive boss fights can be seen as the counterparts to the battles against the administrators of Smithy's Factory; the Clerk, Manager, Director, and Factory Chief (along with Gunyolk). Once the boss rush is over (in WoL), Galeem and Dharkon finally make their appearance for the true final battle. This is where Smithy comes in in SMRPG.

I hadn't gone into this train of thought until now and, matching these details from SMRPG to Ultimate's WoL campaing strengthen my hopes for Geno's arrival to Smash. All these things (along with others outside the game) can't be mere coincidences, right?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Gonna throw my 2 cents on how Sakurai and crew should handle Geno's design.

I totally agree with the notion that he should stay as faithful to his design as possible. Just spruce it up a bit to get with the times and fit with the rest of the roster and you're golden! The Smashified render is pretty spot on, and I like the pose for this other render that's been circulating too (actually if someone can tell me who made it, I'd appreciate it). Somewhere in between the two would probably be best in my opinion.

The latter render is from Nibroc-Rock.

As for Geno's design, I really like the latter of the two. Smashified Geno feels... I dunno. He feels awfully dull and understated, even terribly bland. His thousand yard stare is just odd, too. I dunno, I never got why people were so into that render because it always rubbed me the wrong way. Nibroc's is more on point to what I'd expect, and his proportions more match his appearance in SMRPG. Either an in-between or something like Nibroc's would look great, I feel.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Good evening/day lads.

Earlier today, I thought back on Ultimate's World of Light (WoL) campaign, and went into interpreting some details within it. Besides Geno's spirit being obtainable in WoL, I've come to see other things as subtle hints towards Geno, or the Star Road from the Mario universe. The true ending of WoL, which has all of the freed spirits ascending towards the stars reminded me of Super Mario RPG's ending (with the seven stars ascending to the Star Road, with the star spirit possessing Geno following suit afterwards). What's interesting is that, if we recall the WoL map, and where the true final battle (vs. Galeem and Dharkon) takes place, the ending credits show both Galeem and Dharkons cores fall and become undone over the sea. Now this view, is the exact same one from the opening cinematic of WoL, AND within the WoL map is located in the middle-top portion of it. It is from this area where the freed spirits ascend to the stars. To the left of this section of the map, we have an outer-space-themed section, and it's on the mid-sized blue planet near where Galeem was, that one encounters the Geno spirit battle. This outer space portion of the map could be considered as being right above the site were Galeem first appeared, and where both Galeem and Dharkon fell; hence it would be to portion of the map towards which the freed spirits would ascend to. Geno's spirit being in this outer space area, to where the spirits would presumable ascend, could then be thought of as being a parallel to the Star Road, if we view the ascending spirits as wishes.

Another thing I thought about was that, the WoL map could be seen as well as having certain similarities with the world map in Super Mario RPG. Not a 1:1 similarity, but more of coincidences in how one progresses through the maps. The first map in WoL could be seen as SMRPG's overworld map, having different environments, and being quite vast. The second map in WoL (the Dark World) could be seen as a combination of Bowser's Keep (entering the final zone in the game). In SMRPG, Bowser's Keep had a room with six doors; each having around three different challenge rooms. However, there was a limit to how many doors you could go through. In WoL, the Dark World is divided into three sections (the "dungeons" being based on specific franchises). The Dark World dungeons could be seen as parallels to the doors in Bowser's Keep. Curiously enough, within Bowser's Keep, one faced-off against three bosses; Magikoopa, Boomer, and Exor (sure that Exor is part of Smithy's Factory, but he also became part of the Keep's exterior). Similarly, in order to reach Dharkon in the Dark World, one has to clear the three dungeons by defeating each one's respective bosses. However, the battle that would most resemble the entrance to Smithy's factory is actually the first battle against Dharkon. Once he is defeated, the path towards the true final area in WoL opens up. In SMRPG, defeating Exor would bring us to the interior of Smithy's Factory. In WoL, this is where we arrive at the split sky, riddled with light spirits and Master Hands to the right, and dark spirits and Crazy Hands to the left. Both light and dark spirits can be seen as parallels to the factory models of enemies created by Smithy (the factory version Axem Rangers, Bowyers, etc.). The Crazy and Master Hands would mirror stronger guardians within Smithy's Factory such as Cloaker and Domino.

Ok, time to go for the finish line. Once all of the spirits have been freed, and the Master and Crazy Hands defeated in this third map, it's time to move onto the final battle. In Smithy's Factory, we'd be approaching the final stretch (the area with the conveyor belts). The ascent towards the final platform includes some encounters with light and dark clones of the game's roster, which parallel the factory version enemies in Smithy's factory. Once players arrive at the top platform, the boss rush begins (Giga Bowser, Dracula, Galeom, etc.). These consecutive boss fights can be seen as the counterparts to the battles against the administrators of Smithy's Factory; the Clerk, Manager, Director, and Factory Chief (along with Gunyolk). Once the boss rush is over (in WoL), Galeem and Dharkon finally make their appearance for the true final battle. This is where Smithy comes in in SMRPG.

I hadn't gone into this train of thought until now and, matching these details from SMRPG to Ultimate's WoL campaing strengthen my hopes for Geno's arrival to Smash. All these things (along with others outside the game) can't be mere coincidences, right?
You're looking into things way too hard. Most of these ideas (in the game) aren't even hard to come up with. There dozens of JRPG's that most of your points could apply to; not to mention other genres as well.

I doubt Sakurai was trying to appeal to SMRPG fans with WoL as you say. And from the looks of it, Geno likely isn't FP 5; so I doubt Sakurai was hinting that the Geno will be a playable character a year later, even when he hadn't planned ahead of the Fighter's Pass.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Nibroc's render has the better proportions (the mid-section seems better on Smashified's however), though Smashified's render's details on the hat, shoes and the cape's collar are closer and nicer (though the string keeping the cape around Geno looks nicer in Nicroc's render)...

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So Kos-Mos huh? I'm cool if it's her said that before. We might not get anything at all Smash related but if that's the case.

I'm fine with her being in though.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
I think I prefer the body itself on Omni’s render, but I like the other details on Nibroc’s. The body on the latter looks a little too squished imo.

I could see this possibly working like the Spyro ports, with maybe Halo CE on the cartridge, but everything else downloadable. You’d probably need a huge memory card but i’d say its worth it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom